Yo Yo Man

Posted in Uncategorized by Flavor on June 11, 2016

Santiago Casilla’s a trip. Have we ever had a pitcher like him? His Giants career is like a book with 40 chapters. He’s been here 7 years which is a long time for a reliever. He’s 31-19 with a 2.27 ERA and 104 saves.

And everyone hates him.

Well, he’s 35 now and when he climbs the hill he’s just an absolute shaky fuck, right?

Bochy already got the ball rolling with the inevitable the other night when he used Casilla and 2 others for the 9th inning. After last night’s bomb given up to the underwhelming Justin Turner I expect Bochy to finally go public with something like “Casilla needs a mental break or some time off from closing” or some shit like that. Bochy’s got that speech down pat. He yanked him from the gig back in 2012 only to give it back to him in 2014. It’s amazing how long Casilla has been around and how many different times he’s been closing/setting up/etc.

But the bottom line is that we need him. Our relief core is, collectively, pretty unreliable. Let’s see him blow some guys away in the 7th and get his confidence back up. And now I finally get to see “my guy” Hunter Strickand take a stab at this job.

lulz, gonna make us put the call out for Casilla.

Again.

_____________________________

Also, Two Flap Up Happy Birthday to the greatest QB of all time, Joe Montana. He turns 60 today. That, uh, blows my mind……

1. zumiee said, on June 11, 2016 at 8:51 pm

Quasi-interesting stat: the Dodgers are last in the majors in number of doubleplays turned; and tonight they botched a couple of chances, costing them a run.

• bassbaldy said, on June 11, 2016 at 8:54 pm

Wow, fascinating Zum .. is that proof that Utley is a suckass Mu Fu?

• zumiee said, on June 11, 2016 at 9:04 pm

I’ll go with that. 🙂

2. Carstie Clausen said, on June 11, 2016 at 8:52 pm

This one had to be the most unexpected and thereby satisfying win of the season. Comeback with a vengeance.

3. bassbaldy said, on June 11, 2016 at 9:04 pm

Hey James thanks for your response to my query a few minutes ago re MLBTV .. I guess im a little slow on the uptake .. I had the service 3 yrs ago when I was living in NYC .. Seemed I had access to an endless stream of Giants games .. maybe things have changed in that time or maybe it wasnt as many as it seemed (selective memory). In any case, I have not seen many televised games since I was in fresNO with basic cable.

I tired watching last nights game on my phone but my phone reception is poor where I am .. no cable for another week .. only one cable guy to service large area, rest of crew are on Summer holiday.

• James said, on June 11, 2016 at 9:27 pm

It was a guess, Lisle . . . . on to “Leningrad Cowboys” and a glass of single malt. BTW, nearly went to the 8 sax Rova show in SF the other night.

• bassbaldy said, on June 11, 2016 at 10:10 pm

Really? ROVA? Im impressed … I Love those guys! They are like family to me .. known them almost 40 years and performed with them at numerous places around the globe .. 8 saxophones, blowing their brains out, balls to the wall, blow man, BLOW! … definitely NOT for the feint hearted .. an acquired taste ..

• bassbaldy said, on June 11, 2016 at 10:14 pm

Just for clarity .. ROVA is a quartet but they often have an event they call “figure 8” where they invite 4 guest saxes to perform with them .. its a thing of sonic beauty & wonder.

• James said, on June 11, 2016 at 10:59 pm

Yes, know the music well, and noted your collaborations with Larry Ochs. A couple of friends, one of whom knows Lyn H. pretty well, went to the last Figure 8 outing in SF a few weeks ago, which I couldn’t make.

• bassbaldy said, on June 11, 2016 at 11:44 pm

Pardon my presumptiousness James .. wasnt intending to be rude .. a bad habit born from the frequency of my experience that most if not all have no knowledge of the art form. If we were in Europe or Japan it would not be unusual to meld dialogues on baseball and obscure musics.

ah Larry, it was only last week I was suggesting to him that he check out this blog. He is a huge baseball fan .. HUGE!

4. Carstie Clausen said, on June 11, 2016 at 9:06 pm

So Bochy finally got the bright idea of switching Duffy and Belt in the lineup. Could it have had something to do with BB9’s high league ranking OPB, due to the currently highest BA on the team and his at long last recognized extremely keen batting eye and that long overdue blossoming of walks on just off the plate pitches?

Something i noticed about tonight’s wonderful win was that while SF scored in the first and 6th BB9 drew walks in both innings, contributing to the scoring. In the winning 10th, he advanced Panik into scoring position with a single, opening the opportunity for Buster to drive in the winner. At this point of the season the too tall Texan has blossomed into the team’s #1 rally man and conga-line participant.

• bassbaldy said, on June 11, 2016 at 9:10 pm

Yes. He is the last man standing in my opinion .. since Pence & Pagan went down, the only one worth his salt.

5. djloo27 said, on June 11, 2016 at 9:23 pm

Back in the ’60’s, Petticoat Junction and Gilligan’s Island were on back to back on Saturday night.
    I wrote an angry letter to CBS because it didn’t give me sufficient recovery time to jerk off twice.
    If they were thinking clearly, they would’ve stuck Gunsmoke in between.
    Give a kid a break…

• zumiee said, on June 11, 2016 at 9:34 pm

Don’t forget Amanda Blake as Miss Kitty.

• djloo27 said, on June 11, 2016 at 9:38 pm

She didn’t do it for me, Zum.
        Too mature looking for an 8 year old…

• snarkk said, on June 11, 2016 at 9:40 pm

After Bobbi Jo and Mary Ann, I think my nascent testosterone level rose about 200%…

• zumiee said, on June 11, 2016 at 9:50 pm

I read a thing years ago that said it bugged Tina Louise that Mary Ann would win media polls vs. Ginger in who guys would prefer. Nobody on the show was a very talented actor or actress, other than maybe Burgess Meredith as Howell III.

• snarkk said, on June 11, 2016 at 9:51 pm

Jim Backus was Thurston Howell III, the guy who voiced Mr. Magoo. As for Dawn Wells, I think most guys from boys to men would say that Mary Ann was the one you’d do — she was the type that would be loyal and would have your back. Ginger, meh, one night stand and then adios…

• zumiee said, on June 11, 2016 at 10:29 pm

Ah, Jim Backus, right. Thanks. I have no idea why I thought Meredith.

6. djloo27 said, on June 11, 2016 at 9:24 pm

Belt could’ve killed Duffy and himself in that post game scrum.
    Totally asinine…

• zumiee said, on June 11, 2016 at 9:31 pm

Totally agree.

7. zumiee said, on June 11, 2016 at 9:30 pm

The Dodgers are now 4-12 in their last 16 games at AT&T.

8. snarkk said, on June 11, 2016 at 9:45 pm

Went out today to Brentwood to pick cherries and otherwise get a breath of country living, along with the two Snarkkettes. We’ve been doing this every late Spring since they were knee high to a grasshopper. Mrs. snarkk always stays home, this is just Pop and the girls. Picked 13 pounds of cherries at two separate orchards, then got some peaches, and various berries and vegetables at the fruit stands out there. Afterwards, had the pizza at the local pizza parlor we always go to after “the picking”. Fresh cherries off the tree are freakin’ awesome. Always leave the stem on when you pick them — they stay fresh longer that way. There is something to be said for family traditions. When I’m gone, the Snarkkettes will remember days like today with Pop, just like remembering the Giants games we attended. It’s not the fancy pants stuff that makes life worth living, it’s the simple stuff that makes the memories that last a lifetime…

• zumiee said, on June 11, 2016 at 9:51 pm

Well said.

• snarkk said, on June 11, 2016 at 10:03 pm

As part of the trip to Brentwood, we ended up not far from the Delta. So, I had older Snarkkette drive the car to Russo’s Marina out on Bethel Island. When I was a kid, my older brother and I and my Dad used to put out of Russo’s on our old cabin cruiser to float around the Delta for long weekends, just boating and fishing — over 40 years ago. It’s rare that things don’t change over that length of time. But, there it was, Russo’s. And, plenty of activity. Dudes pulling out boats on the boat launch that I used to be on many moons ago when I was the Snarkkettes age. We used to tie up the boat on Fisherman’s Cut at night, and fish for catfish until we couldn’t keep our eyes open. And, in the distance, on the Sac River you’d see freighters with their lights on going upriver towards Stockton cruising in the dark like lighted ghosts floating silently across the landscape — then about 3 minutes later the slough would go up and down, up and down, with the waves created by the freighter. Then, sometimes the fog would be so thick on Frank’s Tract Lake, you’d be fishing for stripers, and hear guys on boats in the distance, but couldn’t see ’em at all — really weird. That was so long ago, yet today being there again it seemed like last week…

• zumiee said, on June 11, 2016 at 10:22 pm

It’s always amazed me how well voices travel across water, at some of the lakes I’ve been at.

9. unca_chuck said, on June 11, 2016 at 10:07 pm

Yeah we did the same kind of thing Snarkk. My wife and I drove out to Half Moon Bay at like 7am and it was gorgeous. My wife used to work at what is now the Ritz Carlton like 30 years ago it was some restuarant on that golf course, so we went out there and ditched the car in the hotel parking lot and strolled down to the beach. I had never been to that stretch of beach and it is wild. There’s some sort of pillar structure that was built a long time ago that is held up by the surrounding sandstone, and tide pools for like 6 miles. We climbed up the hill to take a short cut and ended up on the fairway of some hole of the Ritz gold course, and waited for the group to hit, and booked it across the fairway and onto the cart path. Hoping the hotel personnel didn’t come yelling after us. Pretty funny.

Walked around HMB for a couple more hours and bought 1/2 a pound of tuna at the HMB Seafood company right at the highway 1 and 92 junction and a lb of salmon. Seared the tuna for 3 mins a side with wasabi and soy sauce and a bunch of fried peppercorns. It was the freshest fish I’ve ever had. Insanely good. Gonna cook the salmon tomorrow. Great day. This empty nester thing is getting pretty cool.

Every time I go to HMB I go to that seafood place. They make chowder that is wicked good. Everything was under $30.00.

Got home just in time for the game . . .

• snarkk said, on June 11, 2016 at 10:15 pm

Sounds great, Chuck. That tuna sounds awesome, and just right with the wasabi and soy sauce. Last time the snarkk family was in Kauai about 5 years ago, we stayed as usual on North Shore. There’s a restaurant called The Dolphin in Hanalei, it has a fish market in the back. Fresh friggin fish. The guys come off the damn boats and deliver the various fish in small trucks. Fresh ass fish. Last time, among other fish, we bought some “belly Ahi”, which is the less fatty portion underneath, only about $10 lb there. Marinate in soy sauce and garlic (or wasabi if you want) for about 1/2 hour, then throw onto the hot grill for about 90 seconds a side, because it is really thin sliced, and not fatty. Keereist, was that awesome stuff…

• bassbaldy said, on June 11, 2016 at 10:36 pm

O damn, you guys are making me salivate .. we have minmal cooking set up in new house .. went out for some mexican at a little taco stand .. I mention this is a litle border town (Naco) spot .. how bad could it be, right? .. oh my god .. practically inedible .. I had the “Border Patrol” burrito (a steak/guac combo) .. flavor was reminiscent of what I could imagine rubber tires, sweat, dust and a deep fried mariachi band would taste like … ugh .. should have settled for a bite outta the wall.

• unca_chuck said, on June 11, 2016 at 10:40 pm

Hah! We were there a year ago may 20th! Our 25th anniversary. At that restuarant! This was actually better than that, and that is really saying something.

Bubba’s burgers are pretty fricking great as well…..

• bassbaldy said, on June 11, 2016 at 10:48 pm

Wow, Chuck, are you shitting me?

Unbelievable ..no, this was bad my man, … and believe you me, I truly am not all that fussy of an eater.

10. bassbaldy said, on June 11, 2016 at 10:25 pm

If anyone still up and willing & able .. am curious to hear what you thought of the LU Boch threw out there tonite .. myself, I very much liked moving Duff down and Belt up .. I want to think that even if we`d lost I would still feel that way.

• zumiee said, on June 11, 2016 at 10:34 pm

The only concern is 3 lefties in a row vs. lefties. We’ll see if Bochy sticks with it vs. Urias.
      In general I’m intrigued to see how the Giants do vs. the kid.

• bassbaldy said, on June 11, 2016 at 10:41 pm

I thought youve said in the past that you never subscribed or placed much importance to that alternating thing? .. on second thought, maybe it wasnt you .. if not, who? Chuck, Blade?

• djloo27 said, on June 11, 2016 at 10:57 pm

I’ve renounced the alternating L/R thing as a crock o’ shit, bb…

• unca_chuck said, on June 11, 2016 at 10:41 pm

Seeing as we’ve all variously wanted that to happen over the past 2.5 months, I think it’s safe to say, we liked it.

11. zumiee said, on June 11, 2016 at 10:39 pm

I’m feeling free and easy about the Sun. night game. The Giants got the necessary win already, and the Sun. night game is a chance to get a bonus win.

• bassbaldy said, on June 11, 2016 at 10:44 pm

I sensing that this win tonight may be just the balm needed to heal these bats of ours .. im thinking we might really breakout tomorrow .. but then again, it is a young guy weve never faced .. we all know what a bane that usually is.

• unca_chuck said, on June 11, 2016 at 10:57 pm

Peavy? Yeah, no reason to get the hopes up too high. Although, who are the Dogs trotting out there? Ahhh, Uriah Heep. The usual someone we haven’t faced syndrome looks possible. But he is on a 90-pitch limit.

Take take take.

12. snarkk said, on June 11, 2016 at 10:45 pm

Giants are clearly too lefty in the lineup, but that only matters if you’ve got a LHP starter, or you’re in late innings in a close one, and the opposing manager can bring in one Loogie to face that string of lefties…

13. djloo27 said, on June 11, 2016 at 10:54 pm

Seems like you guys are are all so grown up and live like adults.
    You have families and careers – and do grown up things.
    I’m really just a much older version of Macaulay Culkin in Home Alone…

• bassbaldy said, on June 11, 2016 at 10:57 pm

People tell me I look young for my age … my response is “well, Im just incredibly imature”.

• unca_chuck said, on June 11, 2016 at 10:58 pm

It seems like it, but . . .

• bassbaldy said, on June 11, 2016 at 11:07 pm

When I hear the word “career” I think of paycheck, security, responsibility .. success, etc. I never had that. I found something I liked a lot and was impossible to stop myself from doing and had a tiny bit of feedback & encouragement that perpetuated the situation .. hardly what I imagine a “career” to be.

• djloo27 said, on June 11, 2016 at 11:12 pm

I think of this:

• unca_chuck said, on June 11, 2016 at 11:22 pm

The world’s most boring game??

• bassbaldy said, on June 11, 2016 at 11:26 pm

Major LULZ Chuck!

14. zumiee said, on June 11, 2016 at 11:03 pm

The K Twins in the outfield are severely testing Bochy’s patience, but he’ll need to keep running them out there for a while; and maybe they’ll get it figured out to some extent.

• zumiee said, on June 11, 2016 at 11:05 pm

Maybe.

15. djloo27 said, on June 11, 2016 at 11:08 pm

It just wouldn’t feel like Sunday night without Peavy.
    He’s like the new Ed Sullivan…

• snarkk said, on June 11, 2016 at 11:16 pm

So, who’s the new Topo Gigio?…

• bassbaldy said, on June 11, 2016 at 11:29 pm

Oh Fuck! 24 ct pure Loo!

16. zumiee said, on June 11, 2016 at 11:09 pm

The Giants drafted Jason Heyward’s brother in the 18th round.

17. sandog said, on June 11, 2016 at 11:14 pm

Sounds like I missed a real barnburner this afternoon. What a game.
    Saw a picture of Kerr at the game on McCovey Chronicles and you guys referenced him here. T shirt he was wearing is from a crappy golf course in north SD county I have played a few times. (I would say it is comparable to Glen Eagles near the Cow Palace if any of you know that place) Kerr scores HUGE points with me for this and he must also swing it there, which is awesome. I have a bumper sticker with the same logo on my van. I have mentioned my van on the blog in the past. 2000 Windstar with 195,000 miles on it. You name it from car seats to Little League parties to sex, drugs, and rock n roll has happened in that van. Once camping in Mexico, it was so damn windy I lit and used a small BBQ inside that van. Speedometer does not work as of about 2 weeks ago as a spider crawled behind the glass and spun a web that prevents the needle from moving–I am not making this up!
    Speaking of golf, I missed the game sneaking in 13 holes before dark. I shot 6 over, which for me is absolutely playing out of my mind. I felt like the priest out in the rain in Caddyshack. Damn near kept playing in the dark to see what kind of number I might post.
    Snarkk….love your Delta cherry picking story and childhood reminiscing. Sounds like you were mayhaps not far from where I lost my beer and deviled eggs over the railing at my friend’s houseboat bachelor party.

• snarkk said, on June 11, 2016 at 11:18 pm

Dawg, yeah, the Delta is an interesting place. Unique in the States, IMO. If the Levees break, though, man, that is some bad, bad news. The Delta is the Bay Area’s water fountain, and not many realize it. SoCal and Central Valley interests always are trying to suck it dry…

18. chipower9 said, on June 11, 2016 at 11:17 pm

Great comeback win tonight. Gail and I were sitting there watching the game, and I told her Posey was going to provide the walk-off. I know a few have said that if anyone can figure out our bullpen, it is Bochy. I sure as hell hope he is working overtime on that fix, because that shit has to change. Bochy was burning-up the BP tonight, and had only one bullet left in his bandolier. Let’s get the split tomorrow. And go Sharks – extend the series to a game seven!

19. djloo27 said, on June 11, 2016 at 11:18 pm

Well, with Peavy going tomorrow, it’s a pretty safe bet that Bru-lipe will once again burn through the entire pen…

• chipower9 said, on June 11, 2016 at 11:40 pm

What? You mean there is a bullpen left after tonight?

20. unca_chuck said, on June 12, 2016 at 12:05 am

We may start carrying 14 pitchers if this keeps up.

Couple things. I thought, even though Smarge was sucking, that Bochy was quick to pull him. Esp when Kontos only faced one guy to finish the 5th.

And yeah seeing Kerr out there with his kids was cool. Seeing him there in the bottom of the 10th was awesome.

And why the fuck did the White Sox trade Trayce to the Dodgers?

• zumiee said, on June 12, 2016 at 12:13 am

It was a 3-way trade. The ChiSox sent Thompson to the Dodgers, the Dodgers sent prospects to the Reds, and the Reds sent Todd Frazier to the Sox.

• zumiee said, on June 12, 2016 at 12:17 am

Frazier has a low batting average this season so far, but has hit 19 HRs.

21. unca_chuck said, on June 13, 2016 at 10:46 pm