A Place To Talk About Giants Baseball

Gold and Pure Gold

Posted in Uncategorized by Flavor on June 12, 2016

These have been fun games to watch. Regardless of the outcome. Although I’m probably just saying that because of last night’s outcome.

And big props to Snarkk and San Dawg and others for comments last night that transcended the game and the sport. Whenever I find myself reading posts more than once I know they are pure gold. Those are too long to put into the POTD but I am going to flood the POTD-best of a little later today when I have more time.

Peavy tonight! Fuck yeah, why not?

1. zumiee said, on June 12, 2016 at 8:14 am

The cagey veteran vs. the phenom kid; it’s a classic type of match-up.

• zumiee said, on June 12, 2016 at 8:16 am

Here’s hoping we get the Good Peavy today.

2. wilcojoe said, on June 12, 2016 at 8:18 am

Those were epic posts lasts night. Snarkks description of the Delta was surreal. Brought back early childhood memories of going waterskiing with family and family friends long before I could even swim. To this day, I can still remember the smell of that water. An intoxicating aroma of mud, brackish water and gasoline all mixed together.

3. wilcojoe said, on June 12, 2016 at 8:30 am

Reading about Snarkk and Unca’s day trips reminds me of why the Bay Area really is the greatest place in the world to live. Where else in the planet on any given Saturday could you decide between picking some of the earths most delictable fruit straight from the tree or buying some of our oceans best tasting seafood right off the boat? (Don’t say the Mediterranean as their seafood doesn’t even compare.)

• Flavor said, on June 12, 2016 at 9:38 am

exactly.

• zumiee said, on June 12, 2016 at 10:15 am

Oh don’t overlook the charms of the Central Valley. 🙂

• djloo27 said, on June 12, 2016 at 11:31 am

and Sheepshead Bay…

4. willedav said, on June 12, 2016 at 8:42 am

Shea has a column about Duvall in Chron today. He is one of those guys who made an adjustment in his swing and his approach since leaving Giants and being given a chance to play even if it is in the OF.
    He was blocked by Frazier at 3b and Votto at 1b when first joining the Reds.
    Jeff Brantley, now a Reds broadcaster, said, “He’s not the same guy we saw last year.” Also mentioned him pulling off the ball a lot and trying to yank everything.
    He still has .290s OB, with 7 walks and 62 Ks in 211 plate appearances.

Maybe one or both of the K kids in the OF can make similar adjustments and figure out how to hit ml pitching on a consistent basis.

J Urrea? I thought you guys were going to bring up Danny Heep.

5. Paul Sorensen said, on June 12, 2016 at 8:52 am

Seems there hasn’t been a whole lot of knowing-dude-head-nodding going on, too early for that, maybe. But I do believe there’s been a sighting: MadBum, giving Span a subtle head nod as Span entered the dugout after scoring on Panik’s single in the 10th. Maybe it’s back…..

6. willedav said, on June 12, 2016 at 8:52 am

Found a good read in local lib, “When It was a Game” Remembering the First Super Bowl.

Both coaches were new hires that had never ever been head coaches before.
    Lombardi made sure his black players had decent places to stay in town and once took a few of them to get a haircut at his fav shop after they complained they would miss a workout because they had to drive to Milwaukee to get their hair cut.

Stram is a name taken by the family but not what he was born with. Hank Stram’s Polish born father was a tailor who also wrestled on the side. His German trainer gave him the nickname Stramm which corresponds to strong and strapping; he liked it and wrestled under that name, dropping one M. Son Hank liked it too and officially changed it legally when he went into service in 1943.

Stram also hired a scout named Lloyd Wells specifically for small black colleges in South, resulting in them signing HOF guys like Buck Buchanan and Otis Taylor plus Emmitt Thomas. His nickname was “Outta Sight” because he used to tell Stram, “Coach you must see this guy. He’s out of sight.”

• willedav said, on June 12, 2016 at 9:01 am

Pete Rozelle had to get specific agreements from Congress on the AFL-NFL merger and exclusive single network TV contracts to get around anti-trust allegations from some of the legislators. One of the key votes on the measure involved Louisiana senator Russell Long, who was promised an expansion franchise would be located there, and voila, the New Orleans Saints.
      Price of doing business there, as Eddie D would find out later.

• zumiee said, on June 12, 2016 at 10:21 am

Yeah, the loss of Eddie D to the Niners was immense. The Yorks have been a…..is disaster too strong a word?

• djloo27 said, on June 12, 2016 at 10:39 am

Love that old Chief stuff, Willie. Sad article about Otis Taylor (below) who incredibly is not in the HOF. And poor BB passed away years ago at a young age.

On a lighter note, there was a guy who used to hang around the 1970 Knicks who went by the name of “Say It Loud”.
      Different times…

• willedav said, on June 12, 2016 at 11:08 am

willie wood of the Pack is in assisted living too, suffering from dementia and multiple football related injuries. And Caesar Belser died this winter, CTE was noted by family.

7. Paul Sorensen said, on June 12, 2016 at 8:55 am

Oh, and, watching video of that 10th inning, it felt a bit like September baseball….

8. Macdog said, on June 12, 2016 at 9:21 am

There’s a very brief interview with Bobby Evans on sfgate, and one of the questions concerns Duffy’s home-away splits. I had no idea they were so extreme: .345/.408/.873 at home, .130/.198/.407 on the road. That’s really odd. Maybe Duffy’s just more relaxed when he’s around that humongous tabby.

9. zumiee said, on June 12, 2016 at 10:27 am

Jansen’s 3 blown saves this season are more than he had all of last season (2.)

10. djloo27 said, on June 12, 2016 at 10:41 am

Anybody know whatever became of Brian Wilson?

• dirtnrocksnomo said, on June 12, 2016 at 11:32 am

His life was portrayed in the 2014 biopic Love & Mercy, which received a wide release in 2015.

11. willedav said, on June 12, 2016 at 10:43 am

Trying to figure out how to account for dropoff with Panik this season.
    2014 hit .305 after call up, .312 last year before back injury derailed season, this year now up to .250 after 2 hits last night, one very clutch in 10th.
    OB .343 2014 .378 last year .311 this year
    SLG .455 last year .403 this year—OPS down over 100 points

BABIP at .259 down from .330 last year. Does appear he is hitting more flyballs/fewer groundballs.

Small sample size but defensive ratings have also taken slight hit.

Last year, like Belt Craw Posey very high WAR guy. This year not so much. His O numbers are in Pagan range, even with Span’s high OB in front of him. Hmmnn…

• snarkk said, on June 12, 2016 at 10:50 am

I believe his back is still a problem…

• sandog said, on June 12, 2016 at 10:52 am

Yeah, I like the guy (after all, he did give my son a signed bat), but I don’t see him driving in 90 runs anytime soon. I think Buster’s numbers are gonna be safe…

12. snarkk said, on June 12, 2016 at 10:53 am

National radio sportstalk is all over Draymond supposedly deserving of a suspension now, because it looks like he tried to clip LeBron in the groin while Draymond was on the floor with LeBron walking OVER him. No mention of what a punk play that is by LeBron. If the NBA suspends Draymond for game 5, then I believe the Dubs will win the game without him. They will be pissed off, and not that they need more incentive to close out the series, but they will be focused to prove one last time that they are the best. And, Oracle will be like a rocket ship ready to take off…

• dirtnrocksnomo said, on June 12, 2016 at 11:36 am

Totally agree. James’ move was bush league. He acts like a punk all over the court and keeps instigating for 2-3 minutes while Green stays calm. This is the finals and the atmosphere is intense yet here comes the league seeming to try and influence the outcome or at least extend the series. Lame.

13. gianthead said, on June 12, 2016 at 11:18 am

We know Flav has finally got Shark fever and will be watching that over the Giants-Fodgers….maybe not…GO SHARKS!!!

14. djloo27 said, on June 12, 2016 at 11:30 am

Met announcers saying that Conforto is in danger of being sent down and has not been the same since going 0-5 vs. Bumgarner…

• Macdog said, on June 12, 2016 at 11:53 am

The “Little League defense” strikes again!

15. gianthead said, on June 12, 2016 at 11:48 am

Draymond being suspended is such bullsheit…

• gianthead said, on June 12, 2016 at 11:50 am

Especially after the fact. I hope the Dubs crowd is so boisterous to deafen Lebron and teammates all game…shouldn’t he get an appeal???? Appeal and see if he can get Game 5 in and take the suspension Game 6….

16. mrsprtdude said, on June 12, 2016 at 11:50 am

Green suspended for game 5. Shit.
    Re Casilla…too many to list but he blew 6 last year, but so did all the other closers. Familla blew 5. Of the guys with 35 plus chances only 4 in MLB blew less then 5. Not an endorsement, but maybe a bit early to cut him:)
    Our hitters are all doing worse than last year except Belt. Closer blowing games…How are we winning 60%????

17. snarkk said, on June 12, 2016 at 12:18 pm

This NBA suspension is horse hockey. But, Draymond brought it on himself over the course of many games doing BS stuff, putting himself in this position. LeBron baited him with that punk walk over move, Draymond couldn’t help himself, so LeBron and the league got what they wanted — a better shot at extending the series to 7. Only question now is can the Dubs win at home without Draymond. Sure they can, without Draymond, and with the refs likely in the bag for the Cavs. I don’t think the Cavs are any better than Portland when at Oracle. If Dubs can win the title Mon night without Draymond, it will be an even bigger “in your face” to the Cavs and the league — and I think it will happen. This kind of crap pulled by the NBA is why I don’t give a darn about it, and haven’t, except for the resurgence of the Dubs. This league since Stern has always played around with the games, and conspiracy theories about “fixing” games are rife and hard to debunk. I doubt any other league would suspend a key player from a Finals elimination game for something as lame and tame as what Draymond did, especially when it was precipitated by the supposed “victim”. He actually walked away from LeBron, who continued to bait him, walked away obviously so he would NOT get into trouble…

18. gianthead said, on June 12, 2016 at 12:24 pm

Chuck, getting caught up on your Half Moon Bay story and when I was home in Dec on the way down to Davenport, I stopped off at that Ritz for the first time and walked around the coastline and the fairways…I’m bringing my clubs next visit.

Will check out that seafood place next visit as well.

San Dog where do you play? The 6 over after 13 holes is impressive. Is your course the LaJolla Mini Golf Resort:)

The game of golf is maddening. My game is so up and down. I can shoot a 43 over 9 holes (two weeks ago..my knees are such a bear, I usually just play 9 at a time, also keeps the wife off my ass) at our club and then shoot a 52 for 9 as I did this week. Of course we had whipping wind during this week. Our 18th hole is a cool par 5 that you carry a little water (I’m playing whites this year till I get more consistent) from the tee box and have to keep it about 240 yards to avoid a creek hazard, a creek that then wraps around up to the green on the right side of the fairway and the cuts back right in front of the green to the left. On the back of the green is a tall hedge row 20 feet high. So you pretty much need to lay up with your second shot and hit onto a narrow green probably no more than 20 feet deep from the front of the green to the back but it is probably 50-60 feet wide.

I am 100 yards out with my third shot and with the wind going right to left. Probably hit my best wedge of the day (I typically pull everything) heading maybe just a tad left of the flag. Then the fucking wind takes it…blows it completely left and off of the green and manages just to get it over the hazard. Chip up with my 4th shot, poorly chipped I might add, two putt and mother fucking bogey:(

19. gianthead said, on June 12, 2016 at 12:30 pm

I say start Speights for Draymond then. He is a scoring machine. Plus I can see Curry and Thompson on fire Gane 5 and burying Cleveland on their own…more McAdoo is good with me as well…

• snarkk said, on June 12, 2016 at 12:38 pm

Speights’ problem — he is a defensive sieve, other than he does take charges well…

20. snarkk said, on June 12, 2016 at 12:43 pm

Giants won last night the one they needed in this series. I don’t see Peavy doing anything but getting pounded or semi-pounded tonight, and out by inning 4. Giants just don’t win much, for good reason, in his starts. I see this one as no different. Plus, they’re facing that kid Uriah Heep or whatever. Giants don’t do jack against starters they don’t know. I’m thinking this one gets ugly, and the Sharks game will be of more interest…

• zumiee said, on June 12, 2016 at 12:48 pm

Also, the Giants don’t do well, usually, on these ESPN games. That’s my impression, anyway.

21. pawliekokonuts said, on June 12, 2016 at 12:45 pm

Bochy said it was the biggest win (presumably of the year, not ever), echoed by Shulman. Why not that game — was it in April — when Trever Brown homered against the Dodgers? They pointed to the time of the year. A win is a win.

• zumiee said, on June 12, 2016 at 12:58 pm

Yeah, that was a great one, too. That could be a tie. Both of those games truly snatched victory from the jaws of defeat, against a fierce division rival.

22. zumiee said, on June 12, 2016 at 12:46 pm

The problem for Green is that the other incident was a groin also. It makes it look like a pattern. This latest thing seems pretty ticky-tacky, and clearly LeBron instigated it. And clearly the NBA has incentive to try to extend the series, and add a new dramatic storyline.
    The only hope Cleveland had was goonery. I thought it would be Delly, though.

• snarkk said, on June 12, 2016 at 1:03 pm

They’ve got game 5. They will be desperate, I can see Delly or somebody else trying to take out Klay and/or Steph. They’ve been throwing Steph around like a rag doll all series, and virtually no calls. Dubs need to close it out in this game 5, not risk Steph rolling an ankle in a game 6, or aggravating his knee…

23. zumiee said, on June 12, 2016 at 12:50 pm

We all probably remember the Washington team trying to goad Rick Berry into a fight in that ’75 series.

• gianthead said, on June 12, 2016 at 1:27 pm

I was 7…don’t have an iota of memory on that one….now I realize why..I was stuck in Turkey for that summer. All these years and now it dawned on me why…

24. djloo27 said, on June 12, 2016 at 12:52 pm

Just got back from the schoolyard where I left a bunch of 12 year old Sikhs in awe of my stickball prowess.
    One kid who was daydreaming in the field got one of my line drives flush on the turban. Too bad.
    What are you grown-ups doing today?

• pawliekokonuts said, on June 12, 2016 at 12:55 pm

You should’ve had footage taken. In Tampa, in 2012, at RaysFanGio’s, I blasted a Wiffle Ball homer into the next yard. At my advanced age.

• wilcojoe said, on June 12, 2016 at 2:33 pm

Gold!

25. snarkk said, on June 12, 2016 at 12:53 pm

Belt and Pence are the only guys having good years at the plate. Pence out for the year, most likely, is a killer. Belt’s lines are a real plus for the team = .298/.414/.502/.916 and near top of the league in all of them, and besting Goldschmidt in several…

• pawliekokonuts said, on June 12, 2016 at 12:56 pm

Pence will be back in September, IMVHAOO.

• pawliekokonuts said, on June 12, 2016 at 12:57 pm

in my very humble and obsequious opinion

• snarkk said, on June 12, 2016 at 1:01 pm

I think Chi said something about a bet that Pence will be back before the playoffs. If it’s for a brew, I’ll take that bet, I think he will not be back to play at all for the regular season…

26. snarkk said, on June 12, 2016 at 1:00 pm

I watched the post walk-off celebration nonsense on the highlights, and like a lot of you already said, this is just crazy, it’s nonsense. Only a matter of time somebody important gets really hurt in one of these stooooopid scrums. If it’s winning the Pennant, sure, go for it. But, doing this every freakin time there’s a walk off, I’m going to be a doomer and say this is just dumb. Who invented this? It never happened to this degree years ago, I just don’t remember anything like this happening. The guy hitting the winning RBI would get congratulated, and slapped on the back maybe, but he wouldn’t get tackled, pounded, pushed, pulled and jumped on. Sorry, but it’s just stoooopid and dangerous for guys making millions, where a torn anything costs the team lots of money and some wins…

• zumiee said, on June 12, 2016 at 1:09 pm

And the Giants lead the majors in walk-off wins with 6, which means 6 times we had to hold our collective breath during the mayhem celebration.

• Flavor said, on June 12, 2016 at 1:10 pm

don’t forget the new tradition of ripping the dude’s jersey completely off. That looks safe. lulz

27. zumiee said, on June 12, 2016 at 1:06 pm

My theory on Panik is that the HRs messed him up a little. He’s having a little bit of an identity crisis. He’s getting a lot of flyouts. He just needs to not worry about being Crawford, and get back to his shorter stroke. Crawford is always going to be Crawford. Big swing, occasional HRs, which is fine. We don’t have to have everybody hitting with same swing.

28. Flavor said, on June 12, 2016 at 1:13 pm

I’m not worried about the Green suspension. The Warriors are pissed off about this, they’re all sounding off to the media right now. This is going to end badly for the Cavs tomorrow, you watch. lol

• willedav said, on June 12, 2016 at 1:28 pm

Shades of Magic as a rook vs. Philly when Kareem was out and he exploded for 40 and Silk Wilkes got like 35. I remember watching that with a buddy at a dive bar in Mt. View (which is still there) Fred’s…and it was on very late at night here as used to happen to NBA Finals.

• Macdog said, on June 12, 2016 at 1:41 pm

Looked it up: 42 & 37.

• Flavor said, on June 12, 2016 at 2:24 pm

lol not a bad memory recall Wille!

• gianthead said, on June 12, 2016 at 1:37 pm

I really can’t see that Draymond did anything..this is such fucking bullshit…this looks like somethings that Lebron and Cavs whined about after the fact and now the league is catering to keeping that puss happy. I hope there is a big talk radio brouhahah tomorrow that this smells like a fix…

29. zumiee said, on June 12, 2016 at 1:34 pm

Loo mentioned Sheepshead Bay….it turns out that a sheepshead is a fish. Who’da thunk it?

30. Lurker John said, on June 12, 2016 at 1:36 pm

I do not think Green should’ve been given a flagrant 1 foul on that play, but the dude seriously needs to step and evaluate himself. He is completely unable to control his emotions and is constantly running his mouth on the floor. He just can’t help himself. He knew he was on the brink of a suspension, yet he continually gets involved in these plays anyway. It’s not professional and now he’s hurt the team on the eve of it clinching back-to-back titles. Do they win anyway, probably, but he can’t even be in the building to celebrate with them if they do.

I guess Iggy will be starting in his place. McAdoo, Barbosa and Speights will get more minutes. There’ll be a hole to fill but the team is deep enough to win anyway. Barnes will have to continue to play well.

Bullshit move by the NBA but Green opens himself up to it on a nightly basis.

• willedav said, on June 12, 2016 at 1:57 pm

imo it was more the lead up stuff before, going back to previous Series. James was out of line to step over him tho, no ?.
      Sometimes kids complain about 4th or 5 th foul…problem usually is 1 or 2 really stupid ones before that to put themselves in the position in first place

• Lurker John said, on June 12, 2016 at 4:27 pm

Absolutely, Willie, LeBron’s actions set the whole thing in motion, which is why I think the flagrant is out of line. But Green needs to find a way to keep his emotions in check but also still working for him, which is what he claims has to happen.

31. zumiee said, on June 12, 2016 at 1:38 pm

Green was on the cover of Sports Illustrated last week. I had almost posted about how he had demolished the jinx. (For the record- I don’t believe in jinxes.)

32. bassbaldy said, on June 12, 2016 at 1:58 pm

Reporting from Warren Ballpark in Bisbee, Az where the Santa Fe Fuegos (visitors) lead the Tucson Saguaros (home) 1-0 in the top of the fourth.

Game opened with a small bit of excitement when the CD that contained the national anthem failed to play … to the rescue came comedian, local Bisbee resident, and ardent baseball fan, Doug Stanhope who led the audience in a rousing rendition of the Star Spangled Banner.

Stanhope’s running commentary, jibes, invective, and stream of conciousness heckling of the visiting team has been highly entertaining.

• djloo27 said, on June 12, 2016 at 2:08 pm

Nice to hear you’re having a pleasant day after all that aggravation…

• bassbaldy said, on June 12, 2016 at 2:19 pm

Now Stanhope’s taken over the mic here in the 5th and calling play by play … pretty damn funny.

Eg. “Now batting, #8, 2nd basman, Adam Urbania, born by c-section at Bethesda Naval Hospital … etc”

• bassbaldy said, on June 12, 2016 at 2:37 pm

Thanks Loo .. yeah, the move was brutal .. like nothing else ive ever experienced .. gonna be traumatized for quite some time after that .. still wondering if my marriage will survive it.

• pawliekokonuts said, on June 12, 2016 at 2:37 pm

love the live report {LTLR)

• bassbaldy said, on June 12, 2016 at 2:52 pm

Thx Pawlie .. this is a pretty fun setting to watch baseball and the game itself has been entertaining .. just had a spectacular collision between our CF & RF, both converging and losing ball in the sun .. ouch .. 2 runs scored for Santa Fe on that … score now 6-1 SF over Tucson.

33. snarkk said, on June 12, 2016 at 2:07 pm

I think it is BS that Draymond can’t even be in the building. That is crap. Dubs fans before this series might not have thought much of LeBron, but a lot probably had grudging respect for how he played in the last Finals. Now, the guy is forever a punk for getting this Draymond suspension thing. I hope the Dubs destroy Cleveland, I mean an absolute beat down by 25 or more. No doubt the entire Dubs team will be out for a destruction effort. No guarantee it will happen, but they will be at DefCon 1 at tip off…

34. zumiee said, on June 12, 2016 at 2:28 pm

The Giants bullpen celebrates getting through the game last night:

• snarkk said, on June 12, 2016 at 2:34 pm

That’s a balk…

• pawliekokonuts said, on June 12, 2016 at 2:39 pm

zumieee, the Gif King

• zumiee said, on June 12, 2016 at 3:04 pm

Aw, thanks. Here’s just for you, Pawlie:

• zumiee said, on June 12, 2016 at 3:12 pm

By the way, the professor was easily the least bummed out of them all by being shipwrecked on the island.

• zumiee said, on June 12, 2016 at 3:46 pm

They packed a lot of clothes for a 3-hour cruise, but whatever.

35. zumiee said, on June 12, 2016 at 2:45 pm

I just found out a couple of people had to drop out of the group I’m with for Wednesday’s Giants game vs. the Brewers. It’s two tickets in Club Level 230, $83 a piece. It’s a day game, 12:45 start. If anyone is interested in one or two tickets, let me know:
    zumarust @ earthlink.net

• Flavor said, on June 12, 2016 at 4:23 pm

i have to work but I am now going to write this in as a W. Thanks for letting me know in advance that this game is in the bag.

36. zumiee said, on June 12, 2016 at 3:40 pm

Tonight’s lineups:
    Dodgers Giants
    2B Utley (L) CF Span (L)
    SS Seager (L) 2B Panik (L)
    3B Turner 1B Belt (L)
    1B Gonzalez (L) C Posey
    RF Thompson 3B Duffy
    CF Pederson (L) SS Crawford (L)
    LF Kendrick LF Williamson
    C Ellis RF Blanco (L)
    P Urias (L) P Peavy

• zumiee said, on June 12, 2016 at 3:42 pm

If you can read that.

37. zumiee said, on June 12, 2016 at 3:50 pm

“The last Dodgers teenager to pitch against the Giants was Fernando Valenzuela on Set. 30, 1980, throwing two scoreless innings with four strikeouts and two walks to get the win in relief. The last Dodgers teenage starting pitcher against the Giants was Don Drysdale on July 4, 1956, allowing one run while pitching into the ninth inning in a win in the second game of a doubleheader at the Polo Grounds.

Urias carries a 6.94 ERA into Sunday’s game, but he’s not the only starter in the game with an ERA over six. Jake Peavy and his 6.41 ERA in 12 starts gets the ball for the Giants.

The Dodgers got to Peavy for four runs and 10 hits in five innings on April 7 in San Francisco, though the Giants ended up winning that game 12-6.”

38. willedav said, on June 12, 2016 at 4:19 pm

Hasn’t Brown caught last few Peavy starts?
    Brown was only position player who was left last night.

39. willedav said, on June 12, 2016 at 4:25 pm

Remember when Bochy used to have someone else catch Lincecum and the conspiracy nuts claimed some kind of problem btw them?

Been wondering this ever since someone (Alley maybe) mentioned giving Peavy time off fo be permanent role as member of Flannery’s band Lunatic Fringe. Anyone recall when this phrase first came up?
    SF gate Splash days it seems like, but I can’t recall how it started or what set Sabes off.

40. sandog said, on June 12, 2016 at 4:28 pm

GHead: the city courses down here are pretty nice. I mostly play at Balboa Park in San Diego and also at Chula Vista, south of SD. Sam Snead holds the course record at Balboa and Billy Casper designed Chila Vista, where I played yesterday. We sound like we have similar games, though I may be even more erratic. I shot a 110 at Balboa a few weeks ago where I actually hit many good shots mixed in with a mess of a short game. I also prefer playing 9 holes most of the time. There are also 3 nice public 9’s in the middle of the city near Qualcomm Stadium, where the Pads used to play (and Chargers still do) that are nice, but will be plowed under for more condo’s in a few years.

41. bassbaldy said, on June 12, 2016 at 4:41 pm

Tucson Suguaros defeat Santa Fe Fuegos 7-6. Down 6-4 in the bottom of the eighth, a bases loaded and clearing double put Tucson ahead to stay.

Really spectacular setting and best fun ive had sunce I cannot remember when.

Next Sunday we host the Alpine (TX) Cowboys. Love the hats & logos of the Pecos League teams. Im going to be collecting some of that merch!

42. willedav said, on June 12, 2016 at 4:45 pm

Wow, Pirates on ESPN in the retros—yellow top black pants/yellow stripe 3 ring black hat and there is Fleming.

The A’s were on earlier here at the Reds, who were in gray camo/red sleeves underneath jersey with a gray hat over white pants . When they hit they used a red batting helmet. Just an awful look.

43. zumiee said, on June 12, 2016 at 4:47 pm

Willie, my memory of Sabean saying “Lunatic Fringe” was after there was a lot of radio call-in criticism of him for not getting Vlad Guerrero, when Vlad was a free agent.

• zumiee said, on June 12, 2016 at 4:47 pm

Before the 2004 season, or so.

44. mrsprtdude said, on June 12, 2016 at 4:55 pm

Zumie..I think the Lunatic fringe started originally after Sabean traded Matt Williams for Jeff Kent. At the time Giant fans were crazy over it…I grew from there..

45. gianthead said, on June 12, 2016 at 5:07 pm

I love Draymond…my favorite Warrior. I love the trash talk. I love the attitude. The fire makes him what he is. Take that away, I don’t think he is the same player. That attitude transcends that team and they all carry extra swagger…He is the Jeffrey Leonard of the Warriors and all Flappers love that man….

• sandog said, on June 12, 2016 at 5:38 pm

Whoa….let’s not get too hasty there, G-Head. I’m not shedding any tears that his ass got suspended, but truth be told, I haven’t seen the scrap with LeBron.

46. djloo27 said, on June 12, 2016 at 5:27 pm

Thoughts and prayers don’t seem to be getting it done…

47. sandog said, on June 12, 2016 at 5:39 pm

So it WAS Buster’s left thumb. Maybe catching Shark does have something to do with it?

48. gianthead said, on June 12, 2016 at 5:40 pm

Sandog, cool on the SD public courses report. Never knew there were that many options. I regret not playing more in the year I lived in the City. But I was a complete novice then and would be a shock if I hit two balls straight in a row…one thing about the Mid-Atlantic are the number of really good golf courses but things can get very pricey. Our club only charges $11 for a cart fee for 9 holes if I play solo, but if I play with my kids, then the fuckers charge $22 and if it is 18 we get popped a full $44. But our monthly fees are reasonable. Of course, if we just walked, we could play endlessly free, but then I may never make it back to the car.

I’ve played a few private courses where you have a caddy or a shared caddy and they intend for the players to walk and I always say Fuck That, give me a cart…so one time in SC, the caddy drove me and all the other caddies just glared at him. Was first time I chipped in a wedge from about 60 yards…of course went for just a par….Boehner was in the lead group that day and was long gone when my group finished.

49. sandog said, on June 12, 2016 at 5:43 pm

Wow!

50. wilcojoe said, on June 12, 2016 at 5:44 pm

Who says that kid can’t play D?

• zumiee said, on June 12, 2016 at 6:17 pm

Didn’t like him swinging on that way-inside 2-1 pitch, though. He sawed himself off. Urias was in trouble, and he bailed him out.

51. Lurker John said, on June 12, 2016 at 6:23 pm

Great play by Duffy there. Outstanding.

• zumiee said, on June 12, 2016 at 6:25 pm

He survived Belt using him as a vaulting horse yesterday.

52. Lurker John said, on June 12, 2016 at 6:42 pm

Peavy is throwing strikes tonight. It’d be nice to get him a couple of extra days between every start.

• zumiee said, on June 12, 2016 at 6:43 pm

Good point.

53. zumiee said, on June 12, 2016 at 6:46 pm

ESPN with its usual parade of worthless in-game interviews.

54. wilcojoe said, on June 12, 2016 at 6:46 pm

They showed the fan who jumped into the bay after the Belt splash hit the other day. The guy didn’t even look cold. It’s gotta be what 58 degrees, maybe 60 tops? Plus, how does he get back to the portwalk? I have never walked back there but it doesn’t look like your that close to any piers of stairs.

• Lurker John said, on June 12, 2016 at 6:50 pm

lol. Hopefully somebody helped him.

55. Paul Sorensen said, on June 12, 2016 at 6:49 pm

Lisle, enjoying your little takes on Bisbee and Naco, hope you’re enjoying settling in there. Did a couple road trips years ago in my Jeep through that whole area, I liked Bisbee. Naco struck me as one of the most boring border towns I’ve seen, though. Walked across the border there to see if there was anything interesting on the other side, but the only things I saw were a pharmacia for gringoes to come across and buy “legal” drugs cheaper, and a dive bar with *real* drug dealers hanging around outside. Love the high desert, one of the things I miss most about living in the US, taking the Jeep down that way…

• bassbaldy said, on June 12, 2016 at 7:18 pm

Thx Paul, I appreciate your response and yes, so far so good with the settling … today was the best day ive had in many months .. puttered around fixing my swamp cooler this morn .. then about quarter to one strolled (5mins) over to the ball park to catch the game .. only downer was no beer sales but I see people discreetly bringing in their own supply so, next time .. which will be next Sunday.

Certainly, I will be getting in the Naco gringo line for drugs & dentistry in the not too distant future.

Very much looking forward to a future devoid of ambition.

56. Lurker John said, on June 12, 2016 at 6:52 pm

I gotta get one of those “I Hate the Dodgers” visors!

57. djloo27 said, on June 12, 2016 at 6:52 pm

Wasn’t long ago that a “man bun” would’ve gotten you a good old fashioned beating…

• Flavor said, on June 12, 2016 at 6:53 pm

he needs to get rid of that look

• Lurker John said, on June 12, 2016 at 6:58 pm

Yeah, I don’t get the look either, but he’s a hell of a baseball player so I’ll let it slide.

• wilcojoe said, on June 12, 2016 at 7:02 pm

In certain parts of Texas it still would.

58. Carstie Clausen said, on June 12, 2016 at 6:53 pm

At 4 innings complete both pitchers with exactly 66 pitches.

59. zumiee said, on June 12, 2016 at 6:57 pm

Here we go….Peavy’s wheels wobbling.

• zumiee said, on June 12, 2016 at 6:59 pm

Huge doubleplay.

60. Lurker John said, on June 12, 2016 at 6:58 pm

The ol’ rally killer. 4-6-3. baby.

61. Macdog said, on June 12, 2016 at 7:00 pm

I’m just glad they went back to the game in time to see Peavy get out of the jam.

62. sandog said, on June 12, 2016 at 7:02 pm

Gotta hand it to Peavy tonight. I didn’t see this coming.
    Wilco…there is a ladder down there, but you gotta swim back toward the ferry landing to get to it. Love that that guy went in after the ball before the other guy could snag it with his retriever.

63. zumiee said, on June 12, 2016 at 7:02 pm

It kind of blows my mind that ESPN thinks baseball is so boring it needs constant in-game interviews.

64. Lurker John said, on June 12, 2016 at 7:03 pm

Now they’re comparing Urias to Doc Gooden. This guy ain’t no Doc Gooden.

• zumiee said, on June 12, 2016 at 7:06 pm

The Hype Machine is in full throttle.

• zumiee said, on June 12, 2016 at 7:08 pm

The kid will need to tighten up his control, or pitchcount will be a chronic thing with him as he goes on his career.

65. wilcojoe said, on June 12, 2016 at 7:10 pm

Nice effort Peavy but he is safe.

66. Lurker John said, on June 12, 2016 at 7:11 pm

I thought he was out.

67. wilcojoe said, on June 12, 2016 at 7:11 pm

Of course that last angle it looks like the glove may have beat the foot.

68. zumiee said, on June 12, 2016 at 7:12 pm

Dumb play by Belt. Panik had that.

69. sandog said, on June 12, 2016 at 7:14 pm

Cha Cha bowls in the house!
    That was a loco move by Peavy, but you gotta love it.

70. zumiee said, on June 12, 2016 at 7:14 pm

I do like the broadcasters out in the stands. That’s cool.

71. Lurker John said, on June 12, 2016 at 7:15 pm

OK, so what is a Cha Cha bowl?

• zumiee said, on June 12, 2016 at 7:18 pm

Very tasty chicken, rice, and bean bowl, with sliced spicy veggies or fruits of some kind.

• Lurker John said, on June 12, 2016 at 7:20 pm

Thanks zum. Sounds pretty good.

• zumiee said, on June 12, 2016 at 7:21 pm

Or peppers, I guess. Are peppers veggies? Not hot peppers, though.

• djloo27 said, on June 12, 2016 at 7:27 pm

A bowling alley owned by Orlando Cepeda?

72. wilcojoe said, on June 12, 2016 at 7:15 pm

ESPN needs to tell the gal announcer to ease off the horse laugh.

73. Lurker John said, on June 12, 2016 at 7:16 pm

This HP umpire has done an excellent job with the strike zone tonight. Very consistent.

• sandog said, on June 12, 2016 at 7:38 pm

I was thinking the same thing.

74. djloo27 said, on June 12, 2016 at 7:16 pm

Leave It To Peaver…

75. Lurker John said, on June 12, 2016 at 7:17 pm

Screw taking him out, run him out there to start the 7th. He’s doing great.

• zumiee said, on June 12, 2016 at 7:20 pm