Baseball Played in a Land Far Far Away

Posted in Uncategorized by Flavor on June 17, 2016

American League. East coast. DH. Dumb ass dome. This one is shaping up as a major challenge.

Baseball played indoors is the worst. I do have fond memories of the Astros playing in the Astrodome but that was because they had the most bomb-ass uniforms in the history of baseball. Two flaps worth of credit at The Flap Store for the first Flapper who can name this cat without googling him.

cesar

Some might disagree but I thought baseball uniforms from the 70’s were the absolute best and all teams should be forced to still wear them. Daily fines for teams that don’t seems about right.

Ugh. But tonight, Tampa Blah. I mean Bay. Sorry. Between the static temperature, players who cast no shadow and the empty echos in the darkest part of that tin cylinder, it will be a challenge for the Giants to get up for this game. I’m predicting we come out slow and slodgy. Hope to see some rallying emotions as the game wears on…..

1. Carstie Clausen said, on June 17, 2016 at 7:13 am

Tampax Bay in the Summer? Raw rum and stale cigar smoke along with a disinterested and likely nearly deserted fan-base. Relocate them to Havana. Now that would draw the crowds.

2. eddacker said, on June 17, 2016 at 7:16 am

Yessiree, Bob we are in the East Coast land of the DH. whoop. all teams should be forced to still wear them. Daily fines for teams that don’t seems about right. All fines going to the czar of MLB team fashion, Big Flavor.

At the end of the halftime last night ABC interviewed the Cleveland coach asking about strategy for the second half. He said, “we are going to try to stay physical.” And I think he has hit on a winner as about 2 minutes into the quarter we saw Klay knocked on his ass. So, OBD have overcome a lot of challenges this season. One more is doable.

Belt DH today with Suarez pitching on Saturday and Bum(?) on Sunday?

3. wilcojoe said, on June 17, 2016 at 7:44 am

I know the answer but I won’t give it away. Hint: there is a clue within his batting gloves.

4. willedav said, on June 17, 2016 at 7:47 am

yeah maybe worst yard in all ml baseball. Look at it this way—prep for use of DH in WS plus A’s series is next week, 2 here 2 there. Btw, they use Mark Mulder occasionally in place of Fosse, not half bad.

Doomeric fringe commenters seemed convinced Giants as: POS closer leading an unreliable pen, 2 5ths unreliable rotation with POS back end, POS offense led by poster boy highest paid underperforming player,POS bench replacement players and a medico staff to blame for repeated injuries to key performers.
    Sounds like recipe for disaster, not a team 15 games over .500 and ahead of nearest rivals by 6 and a half.

Speaking of whom, meltdown at home last night vs. Brewers resulting in 8-6 L. Fight in the dugout after baserunning gaffe almost cost them a run, pen meltdown,questionable decision by mgr on pitching in 9th, SP Kazmir gone after 4. Check out LA times for some perspective and the comments there.

Bottom line, they have a lot more to worry about than Giants fans do. And the only stat that really matters is the one showing Giants on top of division and ahead of LA.

Not Cesar Cedeno is it?

5. sandog said, on June 17, 2016 at 7:53 am

No mention of the OBD’s in today’s post?????
    Curry throwing his mouthpiece and hitting a fan in the face was AWESOME!
    Don’t worry Flappers…I’m sure they’ll take care of business at Oracle and they’ll get the joy of winning at home. I’m just glad the Cavs have showed some fight, pushed this thing to a Game 7, and we’ve ended up with an entertaining NBA finals. I might even watch Game 7. Well…I’ll tune in in the second half…….or probably more likely if I’ll see if it is close with 3:00 left in the 4th…

6. Flavor said, on June 17, 2016 at 8:01 am

WD– yes, it’s CC. Nice pull.
    Diggity: Not too much to break down. The Warriors sucked. LeBron was LeBron. The reaction of that fan (son of minority owner) after he got hit was priceless. Check it out in a gif somewhere.

7. zumiee said, on June 17, 2016 at 8:32 am

Wilco said look at the batting gloves, and there’s the CC. Very cool.

8. zumiee said, on June 17, 2016 at 8:38 am

Those Astros unis are an interesting study in how something that was trying to look futuristic can end up looking so dated. It took a lot of teams a while to figure out that the key isn’t trying to look futuristic, the key is to look TIMELESS.

9. zumiee said, on June 17, 2016 at 9:07 am

Casilla was put on paternity leave. Okert is back in the Show! The life of a AAAer. Always ready for that call.

• Bozo said, on June 17, 2016 at 10:09 am

I’d guess that could be a reason for not keeping your mind on the game.

• snarkk said, on June 17, 2016 at 11:45 am

Well, Casilla must have closed at least one more time than we give him credit for…

10. zumiee said, on June 17, 2016 at 9:12 am

Turner and Grandal got into a heated argument in the Dodger dugout last night, and were separated by teammates. Grandal made a baserunning gaffe, Turner chewed on him about it, and Grandal wasn’t digging that. Afterwards they said the typical blather about how these things happen in a long season, and how maybe it’ll light a fire under the team, blah blah blah.
    To me, they still seem like a team without much team chemistry or clearly defined leaders.

• Flavor said, on June 17, 2016 at 9:17 am

totally agree. And I missed that, I’ll check mlb.com and see if they have it.

11. unca_chuck said, on June 17, 2016 at 9:14 am

Must be Caesar Cedeno. For whatever reason I liked the Astros in the early – mid 70s. Loved Jimmy Wynn. Best nickname in baseball.

• zumiee said, on June 17, 2016 at 9:25 am

The Toy Cannon! Correct?

• unca_chuck said, on June 17, 2016 at 10:55 am

Yup. Saw him crush 2 homers in a game the was a laugher to start, and the Giants ended up losing. Giants had like a 6-1 lead and lost it.

12. Bozo said, on June 17, 2016 at 9:17 am

Never seen the Astro Dome, I’ve driven by the domes in Seattle and Minneapolis. Been inside the Superdome for a football game but the only baseball game I’ve been to with a roof was in 03 in Az. Barry had just gotten back after Bobby had died and he hit that HR off of Randy Johnson. I can’t remember if the roof was closed the whole game or not, but August in Arizona, I’d expect it was.

• zumiee said, on June 17, 2016 at 9:29 am

I saw a game in the Kingdome. It was weird. It felt like being in a giant paper bowl turned upside down, like those paper bowls used at picnics.

• chipower9 said, on June 17, 2016 at 1:42 pm

I saw the Twinkies and Vikings in the Metrodome. That was the worst stadium experience I have ever had.

13. unca_chuck said, on June 17, 2016 at 9:18 am

Yeah the nice-guy approach of Roberts is fine if things are gong well butt things can turn to shit quickly. He just seems to be along for the ride.

• Bozo said, on June 17, 2016 at 10:26 am

“He just seems to be along for the ride.”
      Same as with us. To me Dave Roberts was just a very expensive Fred Lewis without any production.

• bassbaldy said, on June 17, 2016 at 11:23 am

Dave Roberts is a nice guy, for sure. I met him standing in line at a popular Brunch place in North Beach (the name of which escapes me now). It was maybe 7-8 years ago .. I’m guessing, a couple/few years after he made the amazing at bat/base running thing for the Red Sox. I recognized him right away but pretended not to and we just small talked. A memorable very friendly encounter.

14. pawliekokonuts said, on June 17, 2016 at 10:22 am

Been to the AstroDome and to Tampax’s Abandoned Crashed Alien Space Ship.

15. unca_chuck said, on June 17, 2016 at 10:55 am

Is their stadium the one that looks like a giant tit?

16. unca_chuck said, on June 17, 2016 at 10:59 am

If the Dubs hadn’t been losing playoff games in a big way all through the playoffs, I’d be more worried.

As it is, I am a little worried, but I think they bounce back and take this. I think it was cathartic for Steph to lose it like he did. He’s been getting mugged all throughout the playoffs to little or no calls, and he finally snapped. Kerr was right. 3 of the fouls on him were bullshit. Especially the steal of Irving.

17. snarkk said, on June 17, 2016 at 11:49 am

I saw a game in the astrodome; very dark and weird. 20 years later seeing a game at chase Field in Phoenix–with roof on– way, way better indoors baseball experience…

18. Flavor said, on June 17, 2016 at 12:07 pm

looks like there will be a lot of fans tonight. They took the tarp off upper deck and will be selling those seats for 5 bucks. All proceeds benefit Orlando massacre victims/families

• chipower9 said, on June 17, 2016 at 1:45 pm

That is cool…for a good cause.

• Bozo said, on June 17, 2016 at 4:13 pm

I just read that the game is sold out. Very cool.

19. Lurker John said, on June 17, 2016 at 12:27 pm

The Astros had some great teams back in those days, though I can’t say I liked them, namely because they routinely kicked the crap out of the Giants. Didn’t care for the unis, either, but it’s interesting how they’ve become more liked 30-40 years later. They certainly were original, but several teams went that route, like the ChiSox and their shorts and the Pirates with some funky looking caps. i remember the seasons when the Giants going to the orange-billed caps was not all that popular then. Now we see them almost every week and they’re quite popular.

I’m not sure what to make of the Rays, but I haven’t seen them much this year. Let’s hope Samardzija can get things back on track.

• Bozo said, on June 17, 2016 at 12:56 pm

Yeah LJ, I was glad when we got Mark Portugal just so he’d stop beating our ass.

• Lurker John said, on June 17, 2016 at 5:12 pm

LOL, I forgot about that guy. He was hell on the Giants.

20. Flavor said, on June 17, 2016 at 12:32 pm

The Astros were like the Orioles for me. NL team with rad names back in the day. Enos Cabell. Cesar Cedeno. Joaquin Andujar. And who threw a ball harder than JR Richard. Those guys shoulda won something…….

• zumiee said, on June 17, 2016 at 12:53 pm

Came close in ’86.

• zumiee said, on June 17, 2016 at 12:55 pm

The ’05 team was more of a fluke.

• zumiee said, on June 17, 2016 at 12:58 pm

Swept by the ChiSox in the World Series. Whereas the ’86 team was barely beat out by the Mets. The Red Sox vs. the Astros in ’86 would have been intriguing.

• djloo27 said, on June 17, 2016 at 4:02 pm

How’s this name?

• sandog said, on June 17, 2016 at 4:20 pm

I had this card as a kid and I can remember my brother and I being very amused by this name.

21. unca_chuck said, on June 17, 2016 at 1:33 pm

Yeah, wasn’t it Yogi Berra who got rid of those unis because he said it defined the strike zone to the umps or some shit?

• sandog said, on June 17, 2016 at 4:21 pm

Was Yogi affiliated with Astro’s at some point? That is sounding vaguely familiar, but now I am not sure.

• wilcojoe said, on June 17, 2016 at 4:26 pm

Yeah he managed them for a short time.

22. zumiee said, on June 17, 2016 at 1:43 pm

Roberts used Kershaw as a pinch-runner in the 9th inning last night, as the potential tying run, which raised some eyebrows. Kinda risky. When was the last time one player was so hugely important to a baseball team? Maybe Pedro Martinez in his early years with the Red Sox?

• unca_chuck said, on June 17, 2016 at 1:57 pm

We remember all too well Shawn Estes breaking his ankle, and getting tagged out, pinch running.

Way too risky.

• zumiee said, on June 17, 2016 at 2:01 pm

Good point.

23. chipower9 said, on June 17, 2016 at 1:47 pm

I agree with Flav on ball being played indoors sucks.

But I beg to differ on those 70s uniforms. Some of those were fucking horrendous, IMO.

24. zumiee said, on June 17, 2016 at 1:54 pm

Cubs are playing day baseball on a Friday, which is pretty cool.

• zumiee said, on June 17, 2016 at 1:57 pm

The crowd singing “Take Me Out To The Ballgame,” led by Jose Cardenal and Eddie Vedder. Cool.

• zumiee said, on June 17, 2016 at 2:00 pm

At the Giants game on Wednesday, the crowd was led in the song by an excellent barbershop quartet. Very cool and retro.

25. bassbaldy said, on June 17, 2016 at 2:17 pm

Pitts seems to be in a tail spin lately … hoping they don’t decide to pull out of it when we get to town.

26. sandog said, on June 17, 2016 at 3:23 pm

Jose Cardenal AND Eddie Vedder? That is a Dynamic Duo for sure. My dad wasn’t much of a sports fan,but one time when I was a kid he made a reference to Jose Cardenal and I was super impressed that he dropped that name and I gave him a little knowing dude head nod from the back of our huge yellow Lincoln Continental.
    I never made it into the Astrodome and that bums me out. Saw a few games at the Kingdome and one at the Metrodome. I dug both of those places, but I’m kind of a weird dude who doesn’t really like sitting in the sun or cold and appreciates a temperature controlled environment. I like Chase too. I need to make it to Safeco sometime.
    My neighbor had a Rawlings CesarCedeno glove when we were kids. It was absolutely huge and he used it when he was like 11. I bought the same glove on eBay a few years back when I went on a vintage glove collecting binge. It is still a huge glove, almost too big even for softball.

• zumiee said, on June 17, 2016 at 3:50 pm

I like Safeco Field a lot. It’s first-rate.

• Lurker John said, on June 17, 2016 at 5:18 pm

You got that right zum. I worry sometimes that it’s unheralded because of where the M’s play and their lack of success over the years, but it’s a true gem. It’s like an onion, with all kinds of cool design nuggets to discover the more you visit. They got it right in so many ways.

The M’s and Giants followed a similar path in building their new stadiums. Both came from buildings that the rest of baseball made jokes about, to knocking it out of the park with their new ballparks. Safeco is a must visit for any baseball fan visiting the northwest.

• sfsarge said, on June 17, 2016 at 7:49 pm

I will concur with you on that. Safeco is a great place to catch a game. It has been about 10 years since I’ve been there but the location was nice too, with Pioneer Square nearby with a bevy of great choices to get your eat and drink on.

• unca_chuck said, on June 17, 2016 at 4:23 pm

No mitt is too big for outfield in softball . . .

27. wilcojoe said, on June 17, 2016 at 3:41 pm

My brother in law texted me to see if I remembered playing golf with Andrew Landry, the first round leader of the US Open.

It wasn’t until he mentioned who he was that I put two and two together. I didn’t actually play in the same group (let alone flight) but rather the same tournament. My in laws used to have a vacation house on a small lake/golf community in a very small town in the piney woods of East Texas. For about four straight years, my father in law, brother in law and myself would play in their annual 4th of July golf tournament. The last year we played (about 3 years ago) the championship flight was won by a team led by Andrew Landry.

Apparently he made the US Open after winning several regional qualifiers.

• sandog said, on June 17, 2016 at 4:18 pm

Very cool! Sunday is gonna be a huge day with the Cavs game , final round of US Open, and the Giants as well.

• Flavor said, on June 17, 2016 at 4:18 pm

that’s awesome!

• zumiee said, on June 17, 2016 at 5:25 pm

Well said.

• unca_chuck said, on June 17, 2016 at 4:21 pm

“Cinderella story. Outta nowhere. About to win the Masters at Augusta . . .

He’s got about 460 yards. He pulls out a 2 iron. . .”

28. djloo27 said, on June 17, 2016 at 4:19 pm

Giants are MLB free TV game today…

• Lurker John said, on June 17, 2016 at 5:19 pm

What does that mean exactly? On their website?

• zumiee said, on June 17, 2016 at 5:28 pm

Maybe at MLB.com?

• djloo27 said, on June 17, 2016 at 5:39 pm

Yes. MLB.com…

29. unca_chuck said, on June 17, 2016 at 4:25 pm

Sorry, can’t help but quote Caddyshack.

• Lurker John said, on June 17, 2016 at 6:15 pm

Any time is a good time for a Caddyshack quote: “It’s in the hole!”

30. unca_chuck said, on June 17, 2016 at 4:36 pm

Hey Chuck, about the truck . . .

I can’t find the particulars on it. But I’m interested for my son. Tacoma, I don;t know the rest

31. Bozo said, on June 17, 2016 at 4:36 pm

Craw.

32. wilcojoe said, on June 17, 2016 at 5:26 pm

Duvall with a triple to deep left center in his first AB against Stros tonight. The dude looks like Mike Trout up there. This does not look like the same guy I saw in SF.

• gianthead said, on June 17, 2016 at 6:04 pm

Are we sure he is not on anything???

• bassbaldy said, on June 17, 2016 at 6:05 pm

Yeah, I know … I’ve been keeping tabs on him … I saw him in Fresno and he was impressive at times but overall I gotta be honest and say I wasn’t convinced he had what it takes to compete at the major league level. He certainly didn’t impress in the few chances we gave him. But here he is … The homer I saw him (on tv) hit last night in Atlanta was majestic.

33. zumiee said, on June 17, 2016 at 5:27 pm

Great post about Safeco Field, LJ.

• Lurker John said, on June 17, 2016 at 6:12 pm

Thanks!

34. zumiee said, on June 17, 2016 at 5:33 pm

The homeplate ump is squeezing both pitchers.

35. Bozo said, on June 17, 2016 at 5:36 pm

Blanco, White Sharking it.

36. gianthead said, on June 17, 2016 at 6:03 pm

I failed to check in yesterday to see if San Dog called Game 6 for Cavs??? Anyone know top of their Flap Heads?

I am with the Lurker and Sports Dude comments questioning Kerr…I think there were huge mistakes last night, #1 being insisting on a small lineup to start off the game. Played right into the Cavs hands and I seriously perplexed how Speights was completely ignored, especially when they struggled in the first with the offense. Mo is instant scoring…

37. Lurker John said, on June 17, 2016 at 6:05 pm

Thanks guys, I did not know such a thing existed, the free game I mean.

38. Lurker John said, on June 17, 2016 at 6:16 pm

Great play by Duffy.

39. gianthead said, on June 17, 2016 at 6:24 pm

It is outta here…who was picking on Belt this year????? 🙂

• Lurker John said, on June 17, 2016 at 6:26 pm

He crushed that ball! 98 MPH coming in, 108 MPH going out!

40. Lurker John said, on June 17, 2016 at 6:25 pm

Beltster!

• djloo27 said, on June 17, 2016 at 7:19 pm

Maybe he should get hit on the foot more often…

41. Lurker John said, on June 17, 2016 at 6:31 pm

I never cease to be amazed at how a major leaguer can hit a pitch thrown that hard that far, or hit it at all. That’s like a freight train coming through there and he squares it up and hits it 400 ft.

42. Lurker John said, on June 17, 2016 at 6:38 pm

Duffy’s a damn Hoover out there. Great play. Point me to a better left side of the infield in baseball, then point me to a better infield period. All four of those guys can pick it.

Samardzija, dominant and efficient tonight.

• djloo27 said, on June 17, 2016 at 6:39 pm

Point me to Bellevue…

43. djloo27 said, on June 17, 2016 at 6:38 pm

Seems like America tries to sing its way through tragedies.
    It ain’t workin’…

• zumiee said, on June 17, 2016 at 7:07 pm

There’s a Congressman that’s gotten $60,000 over the years from the NRA in campaign cash. They are so bought and sold.

44. James said, on June 17, 2016 at 6:48 pm

Scipio Spinks!!! I had his Stratomatic card. Kershaw pinch running? Scipio might advise against:

“Spinks was exceptionally fast for a pitcher, and for that reason the Cardinals frequently used him as a pinch runner. His career was drastically altered on one of those occasions on July 4, 1972. He ran into Cincinnati Reds catcher Johnny Bench in a collision at home plate. While he scored, he tore ligaments in his right knee during the collision, and missed the rest of the season.”

• zumiee said, on June 17, 2016 at 7:01 pm

Stratomatic doesn’t really get its due credit for helping create the generation of fans that created sabermetrics. And that’s an awesome thing: that the FANS created sabermetrics. Baseball teams should never forget that.

45. zumiee said, on June 17, 2016 at 6:57 pm

Good starting pitching. The best thing to have in baseball.

46. djloo27 said, on June 17, 2016 at 7:05 pm

Caddyshack and Blazing Saddles – I didn’t so much as crack a smile during either one.
    For me, the original In-Laws is the best comedy movie EVER…

• zumiee said, on June 17, 2016 at 7:08 pm

Serpentine!

• djloo27 said, on June 17, 2016 at 7:12 pm

and so much more, Zum…

• zumiee said, on June 17, 2016 at 7:27 pm

The Guacamole Act of 1954, or whatever year it was.

• djloo27 said, on June 17, 2016 at 7:28 pm

1917, I think…

• zumiee said, on June 17, 2016 at 7:30 pm

I’m a huge fan of that film. Never saw the remake.

• djloo27 said, on June 17, 2016 at 7:33 pm

• zumiee said, on June 17, 2016 at 8:03 pm

Awesome!

47. James said, on June 17, 2016 at 7:13 pm

After Samardzija, time to prepare the Halibut with Salmoriglio.

48. Lurker John said, on June 17, 2016 at 7:14 pm

Good win. I think it’s safe to say that the Shark is back to his old self. Dominant.

49. djloo27 said, on June 17, 2016 at 7:16 pm

Up 7 full on LA…

50. djloo27 said, on June 17, 2016 at 7:21 pm

Scully just pronounced Urias as “Yourass”.
    Yes he did…

• bassbaldy said, on June 17, 2016 at 7:24 pm

I’m tuning in now !

• Lurker John said, on June 17, 2016 at 7:26 pm

lol

51. bassbaldy said, on June 17, 2016 at 7:23 pm

Excellent win! I liked this batting order tonite with Craw hitting in front of Duff.

• djloo27 said, on June 17, 2016 at 7:27 pm

About 6 weeks overdue on that move…

52. Flavor said, on June 17, 2016 at 7:58 pm

pffftttttt…. missed the game, just got home. These 4pm starts smoke pole. Sounds like I missed a good one!

• djloo27 said, on June 17, 2016 at 8:03 pm

They’re a rare blessing for the weary ECG (East Coast Geezers)

• djloo27 said, on June 17, 2016 at 8:07 pm

It was a perfect blend of pitching, defense and sufficient offense.
      Wish they could bottle it…

53. djloo27 said, on June 17, 2016 at 8:01 pm

Would’ve loved to hear Scully call the Rodney King beating.
    “It’s interesting to note…”

54. zumiee said, on June 17, 2016 at 8:10 pm

Runners on first and third, and Braun gets picked off of first. Man, that’s some stupid baseball.

55. blade3colorado said, on June 17, 2016 at 8:20 pm

Loo, you just reminded me of a movie (which I may watch tonight on the Internet if it is available) I loved back in the day – Freebie And The Bean. Another classic IMO.

56. bassbaldy said, on June 17, 2016 at 9:09 pm

Ugh … Scorpions!! This is the second one I’ve found in our bedroom.

Our truck hasn’t arrived yet — it’s over a week late because they mistakenly sent it to Sacramento — Meanwhile we are sleeping on a mattress on the floor. Last night I woke up in the middle of the night and saw something on the wall just above my wife’s head .. Sure enough, a scorpion! I killed it .. not an easy task, those things are like small lobsters. A few minutes ago, I’m laying on the bed watching the LA game and here comes a scorpion along the baseboard!

Fuck, I hate this shit. I got bit by a black widow in Fresno a couple months after we moved in and I was sick as a motherfucker for a week … Like having a roaming toothache all over your body, if you can imagine such a thing. It took me a month to feel normal again.

If any Flappers have insight into these creatures I’d sure be appreciative to hear.

I know they are most active during the full moon which is nye upon us.

• blade3colorado said, on June 17, 2016 at 9:18 pm

Probably a bark scorpion and yes, they are venomous. Was it yellow and about 2-3 inches in length? Its venom can cause severe pain (coupled with numbness, tingling, and vomiting) in adult humans, typically lasting between 24 to 72 hours. Per Wiki, “Extreme reaction to the venom is indicated by numbness, frothing at the mouth, paralysis, and a neuromotor syndrome that may be confused with a seizure and that may make breathing difficult, particularly for small children. Two recorded fatalities have occurred in the state of Arizona since 1968; the number of victims stung each year in Arizona is estimated to be in the thousands.”

Sheesh baldy, sounds like the odds of you getting bit are fairly high.

• bassbaldy said, on June 17, 2016 at 9:34 pm

Yeah, Bark Scorpions, that’s what I’m told they are. Nasty little buggers!

Most people here have this ‘zeroscape’ landscaping … which is basically laying down a kind of cloth to prevent any grasses growing, then covering it with rocks, gravel, pebbles, etc. These bark scorpions love rocks. But the weirdest thing is how active they become during the full moon. I just read something that said the are very resistant to insecticides and the best way to decimate their population around your home is to do full moon hunting expedition using a black light … once you find them, you kill as many as possible then lay down some poison in the nest … Unfortunately, the author neglected to mention what poison to use. I will ask my neighbors..

• bassbaldy said, on June 17, 2016 at 9:38 pm

Oh yeah .. And as far as the odds of me getting a bit being “fairly high”, … That’s exactly what my wife said 😦

• James said, on June 17, 2016 at 9:47 pm

My Uncle and Aunt owned a bungalow above Lago di Garda in the late 60’s, early 70’s. We vacationed there every summer for 4 years running before they sold the property because they were afraid the Communists were going to take over Italy and confiscate everything. There was a mountain stream next to the property that fed the swimming pool. More than once we saw a dead scorpion at the bottom of the pool. Never bit by one, but learned that poison has relative effects.

57. unca_chuck said, on June 17, 2016 at 9:38 pm

Blade, Freebie and the Bean is an awesome movie. I might have to watch it too. I don;t think I’ve seen since it was in the theaters.

I think that was 49er TE Monty Stickles lone acting credit.

• blade3colorado said, on June 17, 2016 at 10:12 pm

Yeah, great movie . . . Started watching it, but getting late – will finish it tomorrow.

By the by Baldy, those scorpions are tough SOBs . . . “During US nuclear testing, scorpions, along with cockroaches and lizards, were found near ground zero with no recorded adverse effects.” lulz

• bassbaldy said, on June 17, 2016 at 11:05 pm

Yeah … my wife said to me “You’ll probably either get bitten by a rattlesnake or stung by a scorpion” I asked, ” Why do you say that?” Her response: “Because that’s just who you are” … ugh … I know she’s right.

58. Macdog said, on June 17, 2016 at 10:18 pm

Does anyone else do this? First time I checked for a score it was 2-0, and around the third inning or so I could’ve fired up the game on the laptop and watched it amid some activities around the house. Then it was 4-0, and at that point, I’m not tuning in because the minute I do something bad will happen. So I just followed on the phone the rest of the way and it ended up a nice, tidy 5-1 win, Samardj with a complete game, in an AL park no less. Crazily, irrationally superstitious? Absolutely. But it’s another W.

• bassbaldy said, on June 17, 2016 at 11:09 pm

Oh man! I do that kinda stuff ALL the time! If I’m on GameDay and they are losing I’ll change up somehow by either turning it off, listening only on live radio or switching to the gameday radio … Extremely superstitious, I am.