Marbles

Posted in Uncategorized by Flavor on June 19, 2016

Ah, Game 7. Is there anything better? Elimination. Winner take all. Sudden death. All the……(see headline).

In that way, 2012 was magical. Still hard to believe. Down 2-0 to the Reds? No problem. We’ll just reel off 3 straight in your yard. Down 3-1 to the Cards? Howsabout another 3 straight in yo face?

But today is a Game 7 that I’m treading lightly towards. I can trick myself into believing the excuses for the last 2 beatdowns. No Draymond in Game 5. Had to play in Cleveland in Game 6. But the constant in both of those games was the awakened beast that is Lebron. He’s made me question Curry’s MVP win and I thought I stood unshakably behind #30.

Whatever happens, and I have absolutely no feeling at all about what will happen, it has been an an amazing ride gifted to us by OBD. If the Giants blew a 3-1 lead in the WS it would devastate me. If the Warriors blow it? Eh, I’ll be bummed but I’ll get over it. There are some people I’ll have to swiftly unfollow on twitter, but I’ll get over it…….

1. wilcojoe said, on June 19, 2016 at 4:33 pm

USGA is praying that DJ wins by at least two.

• Macdog said, on June 19, 2016 at 4:43 pm

Ha, I was thinking the same thing. Make it a moot point.

2. wilcojoe said, on June 19, 2016 at 4:47 pm

Shane Lowry should change his name to Shirley. I have never seen someone leave so many putts short.

3. Macdog said, on June 19, 2016 at 4:58 pm

Oh man, I think DJ’s got this.

4. wilcojoe said, on June 19, 2016 at 4:59 pm

Big sigh of relief by the USGA. Monkey of the back DJ. Nice win!

5. unca_chuck said, on June 19, 2016 at 5:07 pm

Too much to comment on, least of all Sandog’s Caviar wishes. Hell to the no! As far as the refs go, they’ve been bad both ways, but it was the league that suspended Green. They wanted more games. Bottom like.

Yeah the Cavs have been getting more calls , but Curry has been playing like shit for the most part. Thompson not much better. They play well they should have no problem. They are starting Ezili tonight. Hoping to be better defensively I presume. I hope they sub in Speights tho as their only hope may be to outscore Cleve. Defense be damned.

6. wilcojoe said, on June 19, 2016 at 5:07 pm

I just want to know how DJ gets out of bed in the morning.

7. wilcojoe said, on June 19, 2016 at 5:12 pm

Damn, they didn’t waste any time getting the bball game started.

8. wilcojoe said, on June 19, 2016 at 5:34 pm

These Cleveland jerseys (if that’s what they are) look like my 5 year olds superhero pajamas.

• djloo27 said, on June 19, 2016 at 5:48 pm

lulz! I can’t figure out how they were ever approved by anyone…

9. bassbaldy said, on June 19, 2016 at 6:00 pm

Hey Pawlie … How ’bout this for the name of a ball club? … The Mesa, AZ, ‘Garden of Gears’ !!

I just purchased the ‘Lazy SOB’ Garden of Gears hat of this classic Pacific Southwest League team at the merch table of the game I was at today.

Supposedly, it was a team owned by a guy with a car dealership of the same name in Mesa. Paul Konerko & Andre Either were some players that passed through their roster.

If any Flappers are interested in obscure/vintage hats, jerseys etc from minor league teams current & defunct, check out the Pecos League website.

There is bunch of stuff I want to get! Buying at the games they give you a deal .. basically, it’s buy 4 ($25each) get the 5th free (5 for $100) … I’m very tempted .. I only came home with one today but I think my wife is gonna kill me next week … 😉

• djloo27 said, on June 19, 2016 at 6:06 pm

Tell her to take it out on the scorpions, bb.
      Hope that situation has improved…

• bassbaldy said, on June 19, 2016 at 6:23 pm

Found a small dead desiccated scorpion in a drawer of a built in yesterday but didn’t encounter any living ones.

Did a major swoop of cleaning out as many other insects (scorp’s food source) in the house’s cupboards, closets, nooks & crannies … Sealed up, best I could, any seams, cracks & opennings. Set down many sticky traps in critical areas and searched with blacklight flashlight the exterior perimeter and interior of the house last night … So far, so good but high anxiety still prevails.

10. blade3colorado said, on June 19, 2016 at 6:02 pm

Great game. That block by Lebron and Steph’s reaction – CLASSIC! Love the intensity.

11. djloo27 said, on June 19, 2016 at 6:24 pm

I wish Paul Pierce would STFU…

12. Macdog said, on June 19, 2016 at 7:31 pm

Pretty good game.

13. blade3colorado said, on June 19, 2016 at 7:34 pm

What an ending. Cavaliers win and Lebron dies in the process . . . Oh wait, he’s only injured.

• James said, on June 19, 2016 at 7:43 pm

LOL!

14. Lurker John said, on June 19, 2016 at 7:38 pm

And the chokage is complete. Wow.

15. Lurker John said, on June 19, 2016 at 7:42 pm

Green was the only who showed up tonight. Too bad he couldn’t Monday night. 2 home games with a chance to clinch and nada.

16. blade3colorado said, on June 19, 2016 at 7:44 pm

Give them credit. They won the title on the Warriors home court. Blew it at the beginning of the 2nd half – 7 point lead evaporated. Pfffttt!

• Lurker John said, on June 19, 2016 at 7:46 pm

The Warriors choked. 2 chances at home and they couldn’t get it done.

• James said, on June 19, 2016 at 7:48 pm

The last airball by Curry said it all.

• blade3colorado said, on June 19, 2016 at 7:50 pm

Agree. I’m a closet Cleveland Indians fan, so a small part of me is happy for Cleveland. How can you not be happy for them? Decades of futility. Again, I give them all the credit. Warriors just were not up to the moment as the Cavaliers were. No idea where Curry was. MIA.

• Lurker John said, on June 19, 2016 at 7:58 pm

Because I’m a goddamn Warriors fan. There’s no moral victories here, blade. The team I care about lost, the one I don’t care about one. Seems pretty straightforward to me. It’d be no different if the Giants lost a similarly important game.

17. Lurker John said, on June 19, 2016 at 7:49 pm

73-9 season, tainted, Green’s rep, tainted because of the suspension and Charles Barkley vindicated and probably laughing his ass off. Mind boggling.

• bassbaldy said, on June 19, 2016 at 7:56 pm

Fuck .. Cannot stand the fact that CB gets his comeuppance … We will never hear the end of this guy now!

• wilcojoe said, on June 19, 2016 at 8:01 pm

I can just hear Barkely now: “the Warriors were turrible, curry was turrible, the whole team was just , turrible, turrible, turrible”

• Lurker John said, on June 19, 2016 at 8:13 pm

And, “Jump-shooting teams can’t win.” Fuck him.

18. bassbaldy said, on June 19, 2016 at 7:53 pm

I can’t believe the Warriors lost their defense of the Championship … WTF?

In other news …

White Sands Pupfish defeated the Tucson Sugaros 13-12 in a barn burner finish that saw TS rally from being down 5 runs and almost tie it in the bottom of the ninth.

After scoring two runs, a double that scored another two nearly cleared the bases which were loaded. But the tying run was thrown out on a close call at the plate. A minor brouhaha took place between the two teams afterward that was clearly incited by the partisan crowd who were clearly displeased by the contoversial call. It settled down quickly though because the heat of the day had sapped the energies of both players & spectators alike.

• blade3colorado said, on June 19, 2016 at 7:55 pm

lulz . . . Go Pupfish!!!!!!

• bassbaldy said, on June 19, 2016 at 8:02 pm

Hey Blade .. What’s a Pupfish, anyway?

19. wilcojoe said, on June 19, 2016 at 7:55 pm

So now which city has the longest professional championship drought?

• blade3colorado said, on June 19, 2016 at 7:56 pm

Buffalo????

• blade3colorado said, on June 19, 2016 at 7:58 pm

Or Milwaukee????

• wilcojoe said, on June 19, 2016 at 8:03 pm

According to a recent ESPN article it’s San Diego. But Buffalo and Milwaukee were next.

• djloo27 said, on June 19, 2016 at 8:05 pm

San Diego?

20. Paul Sorensen said, on June 19, 2016 at 7:58 pm

Sorry about the OBD, life goes on. I’m still ruminating about the Pupfish. I believe it is a rare species found only in tucked-away places. One time Jeeping in Death Valley, in the absolute middle of nowhere, I came across a fenced-in cluster of boulders, and lo and behold, it was a protected spot because in one really small deep pool, there were some pupfish. I took photos. Remember reading recently how a couple of yahoos had climbed the fence and killed a pupfish. Dicks. And then again, maybe they weren’t even pupfish, I’ve come to realize my mind has become like a steel sieve in my older years…

• bassbaldy said, on June 19, 2016 at 8:04 pm

Wow! Fish in the middle of the desert! Death Valley yet … What a world, uh?

21. bassbaldy said, on June 19, 2016 at 8:00 pm

I wonder if Flav will post any of that guy’s tweets? … What was his name? … Vernon Somethingorother?

• blade3colorado said, on June 19, 2016 at 8:05 pm

Pupfish . . . See Paul’s explanation.

22. Lurker John said, on June 19, 2016 at 8:04 pm

Some folks already calling for Curry’s head. LOL

• bassbaldy said, on June 19, 2016 at 8:06 pm

He must have never fully recovered from that injury that knocked him out of action .. Wasnt it during the
      OKC series?

• Lurker John said, on June 19, 2016 at 8:13 pm

He had two, the ankle against the Blazers (Rockets?) and the knee against OKC.

23. unca_chuck said, on June 19, 2016 at 8:07 pm

LJ, green isn’t tainted at all. The league is tainted for suspending him. Curry wears this more than anyone for not showing up. He was shown that harassing him works. Thompson did little as well

• Lurker John said, on June 19, 2016 at 8:11 pm

I get what you’re saying, Chuck, but, again, he put himself in that position to begin with. I think suspending him in this big of a series was bullshit, but he knew his situation and still let himself get sucked in to swinging at James.

As for Curry, WTF. Announcing you’re going to have your biggest game ever was stupid. The whole team did too much talking this whole series. Shut up and play ball, Giants style. Really disappointed in Curry and the whole team and coaching staff.

• Lurker John said, on June 19, 2016 at 8:15 pm

To Green’s credit, he had a monster game tonight. The alleged splash brothers didn’t do shit.

24. zumiee said, on June 19, 2016 at 8:08 pm

2 or 3 more shots going in, and the Warriors could have gotten it done. Back in the ’80s, Magic and Bird used disappointments as fuel for the next season. The Warriors need to do that. Their window with that group is still wide open.

The Giants go from a wretched stadium in Tampa to a jewel of a stadium in Pittsburgh.

• blade3colorado said, on June 19, 2016 at 8:21 pm

You’re right Zum. I read prior to this game’s conclusion – that regardless of what happens, the Warriors are favorites next season.

• Lurker John said, on June 19, 2016 at 8:24 pm

Slapping around the Bucs will ease the sting of this choke job. GO GIANTS.

25. wilcojoe said, on June 19, 2016 at 8:09 pm

Not having Bogut certianly didn’t help.

• Lurker John said, on June 19, 2016 at 8:12 pm

No it didn’t. He’s a much more important piece than he gets credit for.

• zumiee said, on June 19, 2016 at 8:16 pm

My only issue with him is he’s kind of a glass-man.

• Lurker John said, on June 19, 2016 at 8:23 pm

But he’s a strong presence in the paint. Once he was gone, the Cavs were getting to the rim with ease.

26. Paul Sorensen said, on June 19, 2016 at 8:18 pm

Yeah, Lisle, Death Valley is actually one of my favorite places on earth. So many little pieces of history, geology, and just drop dead gorgeous scenery from all corners of the park. One of my most memorable Jeeping moments was there, twilight, trying to get to the top of a mountain to see the sunset and an old mining ghost town on the top, boulder strewn jeep trail, no way to back up and steep drop down with one miscalculated turn of the wheel. Bottle of sour mash on the seat next to me. Thanksgiving evening, it was, in fact. Had a turkey dinner washed down with said sour mash at a divey motel just across the border in Nevada. Pupfish.

• zumiee said, on June 19, 2016 at 8:31 pm

That paints a scene!

• bassbaldy said, on June 19, 2016 at 8:46 pm

Wow! Does it ever !! Yes, the desert is a remarkable place. I’m just learning that now at this late date in life. I’ve never been to Death Valley … That is part of the Mojave Desert, right?

I’m living in the Sonoran desert now. The fabled place of Castenada and Don Juan … Damn, I loved those early books when I was an optimistic young man. Anyone remember “the gait of power”?

• djloo27 said, on June 19, 2016 at 8:50 pm

I was never an optimistic young man.
        I absolutely knew it was over at age 7…

• zumiee said, on June 19, 2016 at 9:00 pm

Then you became a Giants fan and had decades of heartache before experiencing one of the greatest championship runs in National League history. 🙂

• djloo27 said, on June 19, 2016 at 9:05 pm

Thanks, Zum!

• bassbaldy said, on June 19, 2016 at 9:11 pm

Jeez Loo .. I’ve found that people that lacked optimism in their youth are usually people that come from privilege … You don’t seem like that type to me .. and I certainly mean no offense by that.

27. zumiee said, on June 19, 2016 at 8:30 pm

The Pirates are in the process of getting swept by the Cubs. The Pirates are actually slightly under .500.

28. Macdog said, on June 19, 2016 at 8:34 pm

And the Pirates game just ended.

29. zumiee said, on June 19, 2016 at 8:37 pm

We’re looking at some Gillaspie-time if Duffy’s sore for a few days. But don’t worry, the Giants medical staff is on it! 🙂

• bassbaldy said, on June 19, 2016 at 8:48 pm

Yoikes! in that case, see ya in September Duffman!

30. bassbaldy said, on June 19, 2016 at 8:40 pm

So Curry had two injuries in the playoffs … that HAD to be the reason for his poor play, dontcha think? I can’t think of an excuse for Clay T … but maybe knowing Curry was hurt affected his play … He lost confindence and succumbed to the presssure of needing to carry ALL the offensive responsibilities?

I don’t follow BB much. So, as an outsider, the way this final series unfolded seems mighty strange … maybe the whole thing was rigged as was discussed here earlier?

31. mrsprtdude said, on June 19, 2016 at 8:57 pm

Tied 89 all with 4:37 left and we didn’t score again. Sad. Seeing as we went 0fer the last 8 possessions maybe we choked. Clev D was good, but at least 3 shots down the stretch were wide open yet missed badly:(
    If we had to lose I’m happy for the Cleveland fans. Watching them explode with joy was exactly how we all felt in 2010..

32. Lurker John said, on June 19, 2016 at 9:55 pm

I just read that this is the best 35 game stretch for the Giants in the S.F. era, 27-8. Pretty cool. The boys are rolling.

• bassbaldy said, on June 19, 2016 at 10:43 pm

I’ll have to check out the schedule to see what is on the horizon for us after the AS break but I feel like we haven’t yet been tested against top tier teams outside of our division … That is to say, tested for any kind of sustained length of time … Like last year when we ended that abysmal road trip in Chicago were we had had a couple (or maybe it was few) series, back to back, against some hot teams.

It is remarkable that even with Pence out and the struggles at the top of the order we are getting it done consistently … No mystery in the fact that Bum & Johnny Cutiepie have been incredible, Sam has been mostly a solid #3 and Peavy is morphing into a decent # 4. Belt is finally having the career year many of us thought he was capable of, and the roller coaster ride with the remainder of the LU, bench & pen etc — as nauseating as it can be at times — is possibly of the stuff we can build some real aspirations upon. So far, all in all, this has been one helluva month for our Giants!

33. unca_chuck said, on June 20, 2016 at 2:15 pm

More than anything were the lazy passes from Curry that pissed me off. His turnovers were way too numerous. He played like he was in a fog.

Speaking of motivation, Bron had a shitload coming into this series. We had ’em down, but couldn’t finish the deal. PISSER. 2 game 7!losses in a week.

And no don’t see how injuries would affect Curry’s decision makng process when throwing a behind-the-back passes out of bounds. Team wide though they weren’t moving well and flat blew it in the end.

I’m guessing Bogut, Iggy, and Barnes all go, and OBDs make a big push for KD.