Marbles

Posted in Uncategorized by Flavor on June 19, 2016

Ah, Game 7. Is there anything better? Elimination. Winner take all. Sudden death. All the……(see headline).

In that way, 2012 was magical. Still hard to believe. Down 2-0 to the Reds? No problem. We’ll just reel off 3 straight in your yard. Down 3-1 to the Cards? Howsabout another 3 straight in yo face?

But today is a Game 7 that I’m treading lightly towards. I can trick myself into believing the excuses for the last 2 beatdowns. No Draymond in Game 5. Had to play in Cleveland in Game 6. But the constant in both of those games was the awakened beast that is Lebron. He’s made me question Curry’s MVP win and I thought I stood unshakably behind #30.

Whatever happens, and I have absolutely no feeling at all about what will happen, it has been an an amazing ride gifted to us by OBD. If the Giants blew a 3-1 lead in the WS it would devastate me. If the Warriors blow it? Eh, I’ll be bummed but I’ll get over it. There are some people I’ll have to swiftly unfollow on twitter, but I’ll get over it…….

1. Paul Sorensen said, on June 19, 2016 at 8:18 pm

Yeah, Lisle, Death Valley is actually one of my favorite places on earth. So many little pieces of history, geology, and just drop dead gorgeous scenery from all corners of the park. One of my most memorable Jeeping moments was there, twilight, trying to get to the top of a mountain to see the sunset and an old mining ghost town on the top, boulder strewn jeep trail, no way to back up and steep drop down with one miscalculated turn of the wheel. Bottle of sour mash on the seat next to me. Thanksgiving evening, it was, in fact. Had a turkey dinner washed down with said sour mash at a divey motel just across the border in Nevada. Pupfish.

• zumiee said, on June 19, 2016 at 8:31 pm

That paints a scene!

• bassbaldy said, on June 19, 2016 at 8:46 pm

Wow! Does it ever !! Yes, the desert is a remarkable place. I’m just learning that now at this late date in life. I’ve never been to Death Valley … That is part of the Mojave Desert, right?

I’m living in the Sonoran desert now. The fabled place of Castenada and Don Juan … Damn, I loved those early books when I was an optimistic young man. Anyone remember “the gait of power”?

• djloo27 said, on June 19, 2016 at 8:50 pm

I was never an optimistic young man.
        I absolutely knew it was over at age 7…

• zumiee said, on June 19, 2016 at 9:00 pm

Then you became a Giants fan and had decades of heartache before experiencing one of the greatest championship runs in National League history. πŸ™‚

• djloo27 said, on June 19, 2016 at 9:05 pm

Thanks, Zum!

• bassbaldy said, on June 19, 2016 at 9:11 pm

Jeez Loo .. I’ve found that people that lacked optimism in their youth are usually people that come from privilege … You don’t seem like that type to me .. and I certainly mean no offense by that.

2. zumiee said, on June 19, 2016 at 8:30 pm

The Pirates are in the process of getting swept by the Cubs. The Pirates are actually slightly under .500.

3. Macdog said, on June 19, 2016 at 8:34 pm

And the Pirates game just ended.

4. zumiee said, on June 19, 2016 at 8:37 pm

We’re looking at some Gillaspie-time if Duffy’s sore for a few days. But don’t worry, the Giants medical staff is on it! πŸ™‚

• bassbaldy said, on June 19, 2016 at 8:48 pm

Yoikes! in that case, see ya in September Duffman!

5. bassbaldy said, on June 19, 2016 at 8:40 pm

So Curry had two injuries in the playoffs … that HAD to be the reason for his poor play, dontcha think? I can’t think of an excuse for Clay T … but maybe knowing Curry was hurt affected his play … He lost confindence and succumbed to the presssure of needing to carry ALL the offensive responsibilities?

I don’t follow BB much. So, as an outsider, the way this final series unfolded seems mighty strange … maybe the whole thing was rigged as was discussed here earlier?

6. mrsprtdude said, on June 19, 2016 at 8:57 pm

Tied 89 all with 4:37 left and we didn’t score again. Sad. Seeing as we went 0fer the last 8 possessions maybe we choked. Clev D was good, but at least 3 shots down the stretch were wide open yet missed badly:(
    If we had to lose I’m happy for the Cleveland fans. Watching them explode with joy was exactly how we all felt in 2010..

7. Lurker John said, on June 19, 2016 at 9:55 pm

I just read that this is the best 35 game stretch for the Giants in the S.F. era, 27-8. Pretty cool. The boys are rolling.

• bassbaldy said, on June 19, 2016 at 10:43 pm

I’ll have to check out the schedule to see what is on the horizon for us after the AS break but I feel like we haven’t yet been tested against top tier teams outside of our division … That is to say, tested for any kind of sustained length of time … Like last year when we ended that abysmal road trip in Chicago were we had had a couple (or maybe it was few) series, back to back, against some hot teams.

It is remarkable that even with Pence out and the struggles at the top of the order we are getting it done consistently … No mystery in the fact that Bum & Johnny Cutiepie have been incredible, Sam has been mostly a solid #3 and Peavy is morphing into a decent # 4. Belt is finally having the career year many of us thought he was capable of, and the roller coaster ride with the remainder of the LU, bench & pen etc β€” as nauseating as it can be at times β€” is possibly of the stuff we can build some real aspirations upon. So far, all in all, this has been one helluva month for our Giants!

8. unca_chuck said, on June 20, 2016 at 2:15 pm

More than anything were the lazy passes from Curry that pissed me off. His turnovers were way too numerous. He played like he was in a fog.

Speaking of motivation, Bron had a shitload coming into this series. We had ’em down, but couldn’t finish the deal. PISSER. 2 game 7!losses in a week.

And no don’t see how injuries would affect Curry’s decision makng process when throwing a behind-the-back passes out of bounds. Team wide though they weren’t moving well and flat blew it in the end.

I’m guessing Bogut, Iggy, and Barnes all go, and OBDs make a big push for KD.