A Place To Talk About Giants Baseball

Marbles

Posted in Uncategorized by Flavor on June 19, 2016

Ah, Game 7. Is there anything better? Elimination. Winner take all. Sudden death. All the……(see headline).

In that way, 2012 was magical. Still hard to believe. Down 2-0 to the Reds? No problem. We’ll just reel off 3 straight in your yard. Down 3-1 to the Cards? Howsabout another 3 straight in yo face?

But today is a Game 7 that I’m treading lightly towards. I can trick myself into believing the excuses for the last 2 beatdowns. No Draymond in Game 5. Had to play in Cleveland in Game 6. But the constant in both of those games was the awakened beast that is Lebron. He’s made me question Curry’s MVP win and I thought I stood unshakably behind #30.

Whatever happens, and I have absolutely no feeling at all about what will happen, it has been an an amazing ride gifted to us by OBD. If the Giants blew a 3-1 lead in the WS it would devastate me. If the Warriors blow it? Eh, I’ll be bummed but I’ll get over it. There are some people I’ll have to swiftly unfollow on twitter, but I’ll get over it…….

1. mrsprtdude said, on June 19, 2016 at 8:58 am

What a close match-up. No way could i be confident in a bet for either team. I hope the mvp shows up for more than a minute or two. Barnes too would be nice Either way LBJ is the clear cut MVP of this series.
    I hope the raging morning argument is about the series MVP going to Steph for his amazing 2nd half tonight:)

2. Lurker John said, on June 19, 2016 at 9:14 am

That Red’s series was a real stunner. A 5 game series needing to win 3 in a row in their park, after getting thumped twice in their own park, zero margin for error. Game 3 was a nail biter in which the Giants didn’t look like they’d get it done until, well, they did get it done, to game 5 and Buster’s prodigious moon shot (about 8 rows back in the upper deck) off of every Giants fan’s favorite pitcher, to Romo’s shaky save, it was a series that instantly slotted into Giants lore, a historic classic for a historic franchise.

Now that was a sweet win. Good memories.

3. Lurker John said, on June 19, 2016 at 9:24 am

And I still don’t know what OBD means!

• sfsarge said, on June 19, 2016 at 9:26 am

Our Beloved Dubs

• Lurker John said, on June 19, 2016 at 9:58 am

Thank you!

• Flavor said, on June 19, 2016 at 10:02 am

Loo started calling them that. He hates the nickname *Dubs* and he got me off of it too so now I just call them OBD

4. sfsarge said, on June 19, 2016 at 9:26 am

Marbles, make me think if Major League 2 when the Japanese guy was trying to say Cerrano had no balls, but his Japanese-English dictionary gave him marbles. “Mavles, you have no….mavles!!” Steph needs to show his MVPness and find his mavles if OBD plan on finishing this thing out. And they need to slow LeBaby down a little bit.

5. willedav said, on June 19, 2016 at 9:40 am

Romo K’d Puig in San Jose in rehab stint. Supposed to be ready for Sac, maybe activated by homestand next weekend in time for Phils. Pit lost again to Cubs, 4th in a row 9th in last 10.
    Phils in freefall, lost 22 of last 28 now 9 games under. 500 13 back.

Giants sched before AS break: Pit on road Phils A’s (2 home/2 away) at AZ home to Rox and AZ. No let down against chump teams!

6. Flavor said, on June 19, 2016 at 10:01 am

With Machado sitting today, Matt Freaking Duffy takes over the league lead in most consecutive games played. I think he only needs to play another 12 years, every day, to catch Ripkin. Jeez, what a record that will stand forever.

7. willedav said, on June 19, 2016 at 10:05 am

Money Marbles and Chalk a great tune on one of my fav blues records by Jimmy Rogers with Big Walter Shaky Jake Horton on Chess records mid-50s/.
    walking by myself
    Chicago bound (title track)
    That’s all right
    Act you love me (great title) with intro that has 2 false alarm takes before song gets rolling

Hope Shaky Jake can build off his last few starts

8. snarkk said, on June 19, 2016 at 10:12 am

Of course I want the Dubs to win today, but if not, OK. This season they’ve had,, plus last, brought me back to watching the NBA, and provided tons of cool sporting moments, from Steph and Klay, but also from dudes like Mo Buckets, Iggy, Bogut and the rest of ’em. If they win, it’s a great capper onto a historic season. If Cleveland wins, eh, then that City gets a win its desperate to get. PLus LeBron walks away with a lifetime of thanks from them, and the NBA gets the story it wants and has engineered more than a 2-time Dubs win. Oh, and LeBron’s antics in this series shows that he’s a fraud (he watched Godfather 6 times during this series, but couldn’t remember one line), other than when he’s on the court — there, he’s the real deal…

9. sandog said, on June 19, 2016 at 10:12 am

I can’t think of a pro sports final game with more at stake than today’s NBA final.
    For the Warriors, they have to win to cap off an incredible season and stake legitimate claim to being the best team of all time. Plus, 2 in a row puts them in a whole other select group and further adds to their “best ever” claim. For Curry, I would say his rep and his game have taken a hit this series, and a big game here would erase much of that and reaffirm his status at the MVP and someone who might become an all-time great himself.
    As much as that is for the Warriors and Curry, I think it pales with the weight of what an aging LeBron has at stake. If he leads the Cavs to this win and completes this comeback against this team, IMO his status among the greatest players of all time pole-vaults forward significantly. And even heavier than that, is what this would do for the city of Cleveland. You’re gonna have grandpas, sons, and grandsons watching this game together who have fully backed every Cleveland team for 50+ years and have never been able to celebrate a championship. To have it happen on Father’s Day? I’m almost ready to burst out in tears just thinking about it. Yeah, I’m rooting for Cleveland and the The Cavs to pull off the improbable upset. At the very least, I hope it is a compelling, competitive game.
    Happy Father’s Day fellas!

• wilcojoe said, on June 19, 2016 at 10:22 am

Great post! I completley agree. Happy Fathers Day to you too SD and all the other flap dads out there.

10. snarkk said, on June 19, 2016 at 10:20 am

The NBA is the only US pro league, IMO, where there is real doubt in reasonable circles that the game is on the up and up; that somebody or some organization (the league) is exerting some exogenous level of control or influence over the outcome of games, including playoff games. For me, that is one reason why I don’t give a S about the NBA other than the Dubs games. I believe it’s entirely plausible that the conspiracy theory is true to some extent. The fact that the “rogue” ref Donaghy disappeared from view so quickly will always be a smoking gun that there was way way more to his story that if told, would bury the NBA. Where is the ESPN 30 for 30 on him?…

11. wilcojoe said, on June 19, 2016 at 10:31 am

My tournament mate, Andrew Landry is surprisingly playing in the final round of the Open today. Pretty remarkable, though I can’t imagine he doesn’t fall back some with final round jitters. I think the Irishmen Lowry will be tough to beat unless he completley implodes, which could very well happen.

• snarkk said, on June 19, 2016 at 10:55 am

Would not be surprised if a no name or lesser light wins the US Open. The USGA outrageously tricks up the courses so that nobody with an ounce of inventiveness out of the rough can win it. Straight driving onto the fairways is critical, anything less is penalized ridiculously. That’s why the Open trophy is full of guys like Lukas Glover and Michael Campbell and Geoff Ogilvy and Andy North…

12. bassbaldy said, on June 19, 2016 at 10:39 am

Kuip : “… Peavy limits the damage and does a nice job.”

That was a nice job?

I’m switching to the Tampa feed … Fuck k & k ..

13. chipower9 said, on June 19, 2016 at 10:54 am

Great post Flav. And I agree, if the Warriors do not get it done, I will be bummed, but will get over it. If the same had happened to the Giants…I may be looking for a ledge on a very tall building.

Amazing that Peavy got out of the first with only giving up one run. Can he pull his Houdini shit again in the 2nd?

• bassbaldy said, on June 19, 2016 at 10:59 am

It ain’t gonna help with all these errors … Team Sonambule

• bassbaldy said, on June 19, 2016 at 11:01 am

Also, I agree Chi, Flav’s post today is exceptional … Very poetic!

• chipower9 said, on June 19, 2016 at 11:12 am

Keep it close and rally for another W, Lisle…that is what I am visualizing…

14. snarkk said, on June 19, 2016 at 10:56 am

Giants playing like they are on the plane already to get outta town…

• chipower9 said, on June 19, 2016 at 11:13 am

Who the fuck wants to work on SundayFather’s Day?! 😉

• djloo27 said, on June 19, 2016 at 11:16 am

Think any of ’em have Warrior game plans?
      Cutting it awful close…

• chipower9 said, on June 19, 2016 at 11:21 am

Don’t think they swing that one. If they did, it would be a bar in Pittsburgh.

15. chipower9 said, on June 19, 2016 at 10:58 am

I saw Flannery and band (Lunatic Fringe) last night at a very cool outdoor amphitheater in Rocklin. Great show!

And Flannery is just such a cool dude. ALL proceeds from last night’s show (including merchandise sales) is going to a non-profit called WEAVE in Sacramento that supports women who have been abused or raped. Couple that with the numerous shows in which he did the same for Bryan Stow…just a wonderful human being. The world needs more Tim Flannerys.

I got to meet Flan before the show. He signed my jersey (Flannery/1) and I also got a pict with him (will send a copy to Flav to post and drop into the Flap Photo Bucket).

16. chipower9 said, on June 19, 2016 at 11:02 am

On the whole MVP topic…Curry needs to have “that game” that shows why he was the MVP.

I find it hard to believe that after coming as far as they have, battling through the adversity and ultimately taking out OKC, that the Warriors do not get it done tonight.

GO DUBS!

17. ewisco said, on June 19, 2016 at 11:04 am

What’s with all the light blue in the unis?

• djloo27 said, on June 19, 2016 at 11:12 am

I think it’s a Father’s Day thing tied to prostate cancer awareness.

• ewisco said, on June 19, 2016 at 11:14 am

Ah. Thanks.

• chipower9 said, on June 19, 2016 at 11:14 am

Yep…think Loo is right. They will all probably autograph them, and then auction them at some point with the proceeds going to a local organization. (They typically do that with all the weird one-off unis.)

18. djloo27 said, on June 19, 2016 at 11:09 am

RE: Span – Somebody said the other day that “he’s just there” (HJT). I think I’m beginning to agree.
    If this is all he’s got, i wouldn’t be surprised to see Pagan re-signed cheaply in the off-season…

• chipower9 said, on June 19, 2016 at 11:16 am

Hey, if Pagan proves to be healthy and produces rest of the season, why the fuck not? If Pagan would take a one-year deal with an option. He may want at least two…

• djloo27 said, on June 19, 2016 at 11:21 am

Especially if he contributes to 4 in 7. He’ll get the “thank you deal” that everyone but Bumgarner seems to get…

• sandog said, on June 19, 2016 at 12:03 pm

….but Bum really hasn’t made that much of a contribution over the years, so it makes sense when you think about it.

• chipower9 said, on June 19, 2016 at 12:14 pm

Yeah, that fucking Bumgarner just shows up and collects his checks. Believe me, Bum will get WELL TAKEN CARE OF.

• Lurker John said, on June 19, 2016 at 11:31 am

He’s doing what Belt was doing for a while a couple of years ago, creating a black hole in the lineup and in one of the worst places to do it, leading off. He’s a fine CF and baserunner, but he has yet to impress me at the plate. He’s been flat out awful. The odd thing is, when he does square one up he hits absolute seeds all over the field. Some of his liners have been incredible. But not near enough of those to make anything approaching a viable lead off man.

Why doesn’t Pagan hit there for a while? He’s been hitting pretty well and we all know he’s a really good lead off guy when he’s on. Span needs to drop down and sort some things out.

19. chipower9 said, on June 19, 2016 at 11:18 am

So, was out of pocket last night with the concert, but was there any chatter on Timmy’s start yesterday (I still need to go back and read yesterday’s thread)? From what I read (and saw via video) he looked pretty damned good. Supposedly was keeping all his pitches down, and was locating the fastball at 88-90, mixed with a change and occasional curveball. Wish I could have gotten down to Oaktown yesterday to see the game. My understanding was there was a shitload of Giants fans in the house. He had to have loved that! If Timmy pitches something like this for the rest of the year, the Giants should make every effort to bring him in next year on a one year deal. 55!

20. chipower9 said, on June 19, 2016 at 11:21 am

BELTED!

21. chipower9 said, on June 19, 2016 at 11:25 am

Loo was asking if any Giants had Warrior game plans. Flannery was telling a story last night about dashing over to the Greek in Berkeley after a Giants’s day game, to see Willie Nelson. Willie calls him up on stage for the last song (Roll Me Up and Smoke Me When I’m Gone), and Flan sang the last verse.

Said afterwards in a bar, the bartender asks him how his day was, and he says “well, I coached third base for the World Champion Giants today, and sang the final verse in Willie Nelson’s final song tonight. So it has been a pretty good day.” The bartender asks him, and where’s the UFO that just dropped you off?

22. Lurker John said, on June 19, 2016 at 11:33 am

BB putting together a career year!

23. Lurker John said, on June 19, 2016 at 11:35 am

Holy crap, that was a bomb.

24. djloo27 said, on June 19, 2016 at 11:46 am

Pagan was up for about 15 minutes…

25. Flavor said, on June 19, 2016 at 11:49 am

Really interesting. And guess what? Tim Donaghy guessed tonight’s refs 100% correctly on Friday.

• snarkk said, on June 19, 2016 at 12:14 pm

That’s awesome that Donaghy predicted the exact ref lineup for today. Tells me he is worth listening to regarding the fix is in on the NBA. Stern tried to make him out as a FOS rogue ref, where nothing is further from the truth. That article’s point on how the NBA does not release the reffing crews for an entire series prior to its start is something I never thought of. Makes perfect sense for influencing the games based on the situation of the series as it goes along. Who does the NBA want to win tonight? LeBron and the Cavs for the great story and prop up LeBron’s legacy? Or, push the future of the NBA with the Dubs and a second straight title? I think the NBA wants LeBron to win while his brand is still strong. Plenty of time to build Curry’s brand and milk it…

26. djloo27 said, on June 19, 2016 at 12:02 pm

HJT

27. Carstie Clausen said, on June 19, 2016 at 12:06 pm

Odorizer at 98 pitches through 5. Peavy at 73 through 4. It will be another battle of the bullies. Pagan, Brown and Span no could do with a pair of ducks on the pond. About the only good outta the top of the 5th is that the Tampax starter is just about used up.

28. snarkk said, on June 19, 2016 at 12:07 pm

Suggestion to Blanco and Span:
    Swing the damn bat at a close pitch when there’s men on 2 and 3, and you’ve got two strikes on you…

• chipower9 said, on June 19, 2016 at 12:12 pm

No shit…that is pure little league basics there. Fuck…

29. sandog said, on June 19, 2016 at 12:07 pm

Well, you don’t have to convince me that the NBA is about as crooked as a barrel full of snakes. My Kings got a ring stolen from them in 2002. And don’t even get me started on how often the Lakers seem to “acquire” the superstar player at just the right time.

• sandog said, on June 19, 2016 at 12:10 pm

Wilt, Jabbar, Shaq, Magic, Worthey…. I’ll give Jerry West credit for the Kobe trade, but some of the other trades where they ripped off awful teams like the Jazz and the Cavs to end up with the #1 pick were shady as hell.

• chipower9 said, on June 19, 2016 at 12:13 pm

Yep…Kings got JOBBED BIG TIME in ’02.

30. chipower9 said, on June 19, 2016 at 12:11 pm

What a fucking buzzkill to not get any runs last inning. Banking on some late heroics, again.

31. Flavor said, on June 19, 2016 at 12:20 pm

my guess (hope?) is that the NBA just wants it to get to a Game 7. They already have their tv money BUT if it goes 7 the networks will bid higher (in theory) the next year if last year went 7 and they got to milk 7 games of advertising out of the previous season.

• snarkk said, on June 19, 2016 at 12:25 pm

I’m figuring LeBron will get foul calls if a Dubs player even breathes in his direction. As usual, LeBron or other Cavs can manhandle Curry when he’s without the ball, and that’s no problem …

32. djloo27 said, on June 19, 2016 at 12:25 pm

Everyone knew the Ewing Draft Lottery was fixed:

33. ewisco said, on June 19, 2016 at 12:31 pm

Peavey looks great but slightly over 100 pitches. If bb was smart, it would be a handshake and a shower for JP. Well have to see.

34. snarkk said, on June 19, 2016 at 12:38 pm

Constipation offense again today, somebody other than Belt or Panik need to club a dinger…

35. Carstie Clausen said, on June 19, 2016 at 12:45 pm

Only positive in the offense today, besides BB9, is the gradual emanation of Duffy in road games. He may be finding himself in outside venues.

36. djloo27 said, on June 19, 2016 at 12:46 pm

The NBA should have Donaghy clipped…

37. Bozo said, on June 19, 2016 at 12:53 pm

Peavy one run, six innings = good outing in my book. I really do like this kid Law, and still think he’ll become our late inning guy.

• chipower9 said, on June 19, 2016 at 12:56 pm

Agree on all points, John, re: Law. Well, on Peavy, too…good outing.

• Lurker John said, on June 19, 2016 at 1:01 pm

Hell yeah that’s a good outing. That’s like 4-5 straight now. Considering how he started, he’s been looking like Bob Gibson lately. Anything he can give at the back end only bolsters an already top notch rotation.

• Carstie Clausen said, on June 19, 2016 at 1:17 pm

Truly. Peavy has fully resurrected himself over his past few outings. If the rest of the pen holds the 4-run lead Law will get a nicely deserved vulture win. Peavy wins once again in his personal reduction of ERA to more and more respectable levels and making him a very viable #4 starter.

38. chipower9 said, on June 19, 2016 at 12:56 pm

I told ya…late inning heroics. OK bullpen…it is on you to hold it.

39. Bozo said, on June 19, 2016 at 1:03 pm

Bah bah bah be bah, conga line.

• chipower9 said, on June 19, 2016 at 1:17 pm

Yep…fire up that conga line!

40. djloo27 said, on June 19, 2016 at 1:08 pm

Stomp the piss out of ’em!

41. Lurker John said, on June 19, 2016 at 1:14 pm

Conor Gillaspie is in the house!

42. Carstie Clausen said, on June 19, 2016 at 1:14 pm

Now THAT was congalining it. Gillaspie’s crunch double brought him off the DFA tenterhooks in my estimation. He hadn’t done shit for weeks till that AB.

• pawliekokonuts said, on June 19, 2016 at 1:17 pm

Agreed.

43. djloo27 said, on June 19, 2016 at 1:14 pm

Strickland only averages 1 strikeout per inning.
    Considering his velocity it’s not an impressive ratio in this era…

• chipower9 said, on June 19, 2016 at 1:19 pm

Yeah, IMO he is too much of a one-trick-pony right now. Everything is pretty straight. ML hitters will catch-up to that shit. He needs a couple of other pitches that he can throw consistently for strikes. He does that, he’ll be damned good. And if my aunt had balls, she’d be my uncle. Time will tell…

• Carstie Clausen said, on June 19, 2016 at 1:26 pm

Nevertheless, Strickland did get through that inning with a 9 pitch outing. Agreed that if he can develop even one extra pitch ~ the old out special ~ he will become nearly unhittable. In any event we are witnessing the development of Law and Strickland as gradually blossoming veteran relievers. That can be a slow process and it is occurring in the midst of a major postseason campaign.

44. pawliekokonuts said, on June 19, 2016 at 1:19 pm

did Duffy come out because he was hurt? I never thought Peavy would return to form like this….

• Bozo said, on June 19, 2016 at 1:22 pm

I haven’t heard a reason yet.

45. pawliekokonuts said, on June 19, 2016 at 1:22 pm

Magnus,
    You’re a good writer. A post like today’s looks free and easy but ain’t. I salute you and this creation once again.

Two guys on ESPN radio yesterday forced each other to predict. They both concluded Warriors for reasons you cite. But the asterisk like a millstone to that was: don’t bet against LeBron.

• djloo27 said, on June 19, 2016 at 1:24 pm

Very true Pawlie. If I was in charge of this thing, my post every day would be:
      Good morning – have a nice chat…

• pawliekokonuts said, on June 19, 2016 at 1:27 pm

and I just laughed out LOUD (well, chuckled)

• Flavor said, on June 19, 2016 at 1:27 pm

lol. If I ever run into writer’s block I’ll roll this one out there.

• Bozo said, on June 19, 2016 at 1:28 pm

And, “Stomp the piss out of ’em!”

46. pawliekokonuts said, on June 19, 2016 at 1:24 pm

Nice win if the Giants win despite three errors. James, pls chime in on whether this subverts the WaR+5sQrTE3 Theory.

47. pawliekokonuts said, on June 19, 2016 at 1:26 pm

It’s probably been said, but Happy Father’s Day to all whom it applies, physically as well as spiritually, fraternally, or metaphorically.

48. Flavor said, on June 19, 2016 at 1:26 pm

I dunno how people watch this Tampa Bay bullshit. It’s interminable. It’s so quiet you can often hear individual conversations in the background THROUGH the tv. Rays games are nearly as awful as drum beating A’s games….

• Bozo said, on June 19, 2016 at 1:30 pm

Kinda like Tuesday night games at the Stick, back in the day.

• pawliekokonuts said, on June 19, 2016 at 1:31 pm

at opening day here in the minors, you could without exaggeration count the number of fans (it was cold) AND hear player, coach, and fan conversations….tho’ no Manny Burriss….back in the minors now, I think

• Bozo said, on June 19, 2016 at 1:33 pm

They should rename the place Echo Park.

• pawliekokonuts said, on June 19, 2016 at 1:35 pm

boom! [boom!]

49. dirtnrocksnomo said, on June 19, 2016 at 1:33 pm

Can you imagine one of MLB’s oldest franchises, steeped in tradition, playing in Tampa? It’s hard to imagine the league once seriously considered it.

• Lurker John said, on June 19, 2016 at 1:36 pm

Came mighty close to happening, in fact.

• dirtnrocksnomo said, on June 19, 2016 at 1:38 pm

Yeah. I used to work trade shows in Tampa Bay. The place is a dump.

50. pawliekokonuts said, on June 19, 2016 at 1:34 pm

um, torture?

51. djloo27 said, on June 19, 2016 at 1:34 pm

Is Gearrin nuts?

• Lurker John said, on June 19, 2016 at 1:41 pm

He must be.

52. Lurker John said, on June 19, 2016 at 1:41 pm

Gearrin with some filthy stuff.

53. Bozo said, on June 19, 2016 at 1:44 pm

“Stomp the piss out of ’em!”

That’s my new rally cry. Thanks Loo.

• djloo27 said, on June 19, 2016 at 1:49 pm

Always liked that one, Bozo, although I can’t take credit for it.
      Got it from Ball Four.
      Joe Schultz used to scream it when he was manager of the Seattle Pilots…

54. snarkk said, on June 19, 2016 at 1:44 pm

Nice sweep of a dogmeat squad.
    Gearrin’s misplay there luckily didn’t hurt. I don’t see many other teams, but I’m trying to imagine a Pen that consistently fields the position worse than the Giants — it’s like they’re clueless — and like this for years. Anyway, onto Pittsburgh, the house of horrors. Hopefully, it’ll change this time…

55. Macdog said, on June 19, 2016 at 1:46 pm

Sweep in St. Pete!

56. snarkk said, on June 19, 2016 at 1:48 pm

Sore left achilles for Duffy…

57. chipower9 said, on June 19, 2016 at 1:51 pm

Great win…

As Jackie Gleason would say…”How SWEEP it is!”

58. djloo27 said, on June 19, 2016 at 1:52 pm

You never got me down, Rays…

59. snarkk said, on June 19, 2016 at 1:54 pm

Friggin MLB.com drives me nutz sometimes. They show one measly highlight of Belt’s dinger, no repeat or slo mo. Then they show 3 minutes of umps waiting around to confirm that Pagan was safe on his steal…

60. snarkk said, on June 19, 2016 at 1:56 pm

Gyros uniforms to me were looking today like Mets unis…

61. bassbaldy said, on June 19, 2016 at 2:00 pm

Another nice win! Team is playing just like I always hoped they would & could.

Bottom of 2nd here at Warren Ballpark in Bisbee, AZ .. Davon Poole & Ryan Retz just hit back to back homers .. Poole’s was a Grand Slam … 5-1 Tucson Saguaros over White Sands Pupfish.

• Flavor said, on June 19, 2016 at 2:17 pm

“Pupfish?”

• bassbaldy said, on June 19, 2016 at 2:48 pm

Yeah .. “Pupfish ” … who knows?

Whitesands is in CO I think .. maybe Blade knows what a “pupfish” is?

• pawliekokonuts said, on June 19, 2016 at 3:41 pm

these reports are epic

62. Flavor said, on June 19, 2016 at 2:19 pm

Assuming Duffy sits tomorrow he will have held the longest current consecutive game streak for one day. No wonder Cal feels so safe in holding that record for the duration of baseball…..

63. Flavor said, on June 19, 2016 at 2:32 pm

ANyone but this fat fuck Lowry. I am pulling hard for DJ but if he can’t do it, please, ANYONE but Lowry. #ABL

64. Irish Kevin said, on June 19, 2016 at 2:47 pm

8 in a row, very nice. Playing like they could go all the way. So now the question is do the Giants need to go get an outfielder? I say no.

The beginning of the thread someone asked what OBD stood for, I have to say I don’t like the nickname Dubs either, slang for “W”. Just sounds stupid to me, anyone want to start calling the Giants the Guhs, I think not, call them the Warriors, I know, I know, so much easier to type OBD, or Dubs.

65. Carstie Clausen said, on June 19, 2016 at 3:03 pm

“Cheap Sun–glasses”? Uh-uh. Giants had on their Ray-bans this series.

66. bassbaldy said, on June 19, 2016 at 3:26 pm

103° in the shade .. hot desert wind blowing out to left … 5 Hrs today .. bottom of the 7th .. 11-6 Pupfish.

67. wilcojoe said, on June 19, 2016 at 3:40 pm

Crazy, unprecedented things going on in the US Open. Basically Dustin Johnson will have to plead his case at the conclusion of the round to avoid a one shot penalty. Crazy just crazy!

• Flavor said, on June 19, 2016 at 3:44 pm

I mean, the pressure his putter put on the ground next to the ball *probably* cause the ball to move off of an uneven piece of grass but I don’t know how they ding him a shot if they don’t know FOR SURE.

• wilcojoe said, on June 19, 2016 at 3:49 pm

Either penalize or don’t. But to tell him in the middle of the round that they will give you an opportinuty to argue your case otherwise you get a one shot penalty, is absurd. Are the other contenders aware of this?

• wilcojoe said, on June 19, 2016 at 3:55 pm

I mean why the fuck wasn’t this resolved before he walked to the next tee? What, do they expect him to give some JFK theory of why he “didn’t cause the ball to move? FOX should never be allowed to broadcast golf ever again by the way. They are atrocious. I would love to hear what Johnny Miller would be saying right now.

• Flavor said, on June 19, 2016 at 3:55 pm

yes, they’ve been told.

• Flavor said, on June 19, 2016 at 3:56 pm

also, did you see the interview with the USGA official? The dude who was TALKING DIRECTLY to DJ didn’t fucking see the play yesterday when Lowry got penalized a stroke for the same thing. The fucking USGA official TALKING TO DJ didn’t see the play yesterday? WHAT THE FUCK lol?

• wilcojoe said, on June 19, 2016 at 3:58 pm

Yeah, what a clueless piece of shit.

• Macdog said, on June 19, 2016 at 3:51 pm

Truly bizarre. It’s always something with that guy, but if they’re going to penalize him a stroke, then just do it already so everyone knows what the hell is going on.

68. pawliekokonuts said, on June 19, 2016 at 3:43 pm

Pupfish vying with MudHens and IronPigs for best monikers.

69. Flavor said, on June 19, 2016 at 3:54 pm

The ball rolled slightly backwards. I don’t know how your putter causes a ball to move backwards. There’s no way they can say it’s definitive, he SHOULD NOT be penalized in my opinion…..

• Macdog said, on June 19, 2016 at 4:01 pm

Especially when he checked with an official right when it happened and no penalty was assessed. This is ridiculous.

70. zumiee said, on June 19, 2016 at 3:57 pm

The Brewers are just awful. I mean, seriously, that is about as bad a baseball team as I’ve seen in a few years. Somehow they don’t have the worst record in the majors.

• zumiee said, on June 19, 2016 at 3:59 pm

The schedule gifted the Dodgers with four at home vs. this awful team, and yet the Dodgers managed to lose one of those games.

71. wilcojoe said, on June 19, 2016 at 4:00 pm

That’s awesome! McElroy tweets out that the USGA is a joke and calls it “amateur hour”

• Flavor said, on June 19, 2016 at 4:03 pm

if he was an NBA player he woulda just gotten popped for 25K

72. pawliekokonuts said, on June 19, 2016 at 4:01 pm

Schulman says these 27 wins in a 35-game stretch is the best run for 35 games since they came to SF.

• djloo27 said, on June 19, 2016 at 4:37 pm

It’s been so quietly unspectacular, too…

73. zumiee said, on June 19, 2016 at 4:08 pm

It would be interesting to know what exactly the NBA told the officials before Game 6 of the ’02 series between the Kings and the Lakers. After Game 5, Phil Jackson did a bunch of complaining about the officiating, and then lo and behold: Game 6 arrived, which is widely considered the worst officiated game in NBA history. Phil Jackson got everything and more than he could have hoped for. It got so bad, Bibby was called for a foul for hitting Shaq’s elbow WITH HIS FACE.
    Granted, it’s not the ONLY thing that cost the Kings the series. The Kings blew opportunities in Games 1, 4, and 7. Games 1 and 7 were home games, and the Kings should have won at least one of those. But still, what memo or message was delivered to the refs before Game 6, and EXACTLY what did it say? I would love to know what the message was, word for word.

74. wilcojoe said, on June 19, 2016 at 4:10 pm

I guess is all he has to say is a bug flew on the ball and caused it to move. How can they disprove it?

• Flavor said, on June 19, 2016 at 4:12 pm

exactly. DJ isn’t the brightest bulb though and when originally asked about it he couldn’t come up with anything other than “I didn’t do it.”

• wilcojoe said, on June 19, 2016 at 4:15 pm

Yeah, hopefully his agent has texted him some good excuses to use.

75. Flavor said, on June 19, 2016 at 4:24 pm

bottom line: no replay has shown he definitely caused the ball to move. And even if they don’t assess a penalty the damage has been done— fucking with this guy’s mindset (and the rest of the players) with this absurd “we might hit you with a stroke AFTER the round” bullshit……