The Pirates Fought The Law And YOU KNOW What Happened!

Posted in Uncategorized by Flavor on June 23, 2016

I still think Derek Law looks completely out of shape. He’s like a skinny Rick Reuschel. And those teeth. Jesus, when he smiles, they’re everywhere. It’s like he’s got 83 teeth in his mouth……

But the dude can pitch. And that interview of him after the game was one of my favorite all year. He’s just a genuine, cool ass dude.

I’m gonna let the worrywarts freak out about Smarge. His problem right now is simple. His off speed stuff is flying just out of the strike zone forcing him to throw too many fastballs that all travel around 94mph and hitters are sitting on them and blasting them. He’ll be fine.

Pena. Gillespe. Osich. Law. Just pull a name off the scrap heap and Sabean will turn him into a contributing major leaguer.

It’s like we might never lose another game again…….

1. Carstie Clausen said, on June 23, 2016 at 8:17 am

We are getting us a bunch of badass bullies. Bully for them, as Teddy Roosevelt would have said. Early on it appeared that the retirement of Affeldt and the injury to Romo would largely crash the pen. Then there were the meltdowns by Casilla. Doomers were in their element.

Along the line something strange happened. First, it was the dumpster dive pickup Cory Gearrin. He contributed several stout outings. Then Law showed he would be effective waay more often than not. Next, Strickland showed more and more flashes of competence. Kontos has rattled along, not quite the master he has been in the past, but no slouch either. Suarez has shown that though not yet a Petit at his peak, he can do both starter and longman roles without embarrassing himself or the team. Finally, last night both Osich and Casilla demonstrated that they are hardly dogmeat out there on the mound. In some stretch of time Romo will return. Big question now is who would get the ticket to Sactown.

• chipower9 said, on June 23, 2016 at 10:12 am

When Romo returns, I think Stratton gets the ticket to Sacto…

2. unca_chuck said, on June 23, 2016 at 8:36 am

This is a weird year, that’s for sure. Gearrin is yet another reclamation project from the wizardry of Righetti and Gardner. Like someone else said, I had no idea he was 30. Thought he was another young droogie.

Tripping in the fact that this is Righetti’s 17 (and Gardner’s 14th) year of being our pitching coach. Both Dusty hires.

Fun Fact: An analysis by Fangraphs showed that Righetti has an uncanny knack for teaching pitchers to not give up home runs.

3. Flavor said, on June 23, 2016 at 8:37 am

I’ve got zero faith in Romo coming back and being effective. He requires his filthy slider to be dominant. He can’t throw that filthy slider anymore. Puts too much pressure on his arm to throw it at its filthiest. He probably needs surgery. Romo at less than 100% is not a Romo I am excited to get back…….

4. unca_chuck said, on June 23, 2016 at 8:41 am

Yeah, I have more faith in Kontos stepping up than Romo contributing this year.

5. snarkk said, on June 23, 2016 at 8:55 am

Tend to agree that I’ve got no expectations on Romo. If a guy is out essentially 3 months, with a “setback” along the way, this sounds like a dicey elbow that’s being given TLC to see if it comes back without surgery. Especially with years of nastly sliders on it…

6. unca_chuck said, on June 23, 2016 at 9:12 am

I guess it’s good that the Dogs are heating up as well. Wouldn’t want to get too complacent in our hunt for the playoffs. What’s better than a Giants/Dodgers playoff run?

• chipower9 said, on June 23, 2016 at 10:14 am

Fuck that…I hope we bury their asses so deep, they won’t see light until ST next year.

• Irish Kevin said, on June 23, 2016 at 12:49 pm

They light and beyond!!!

7. Flavor said, on June 23, 2016 at 9:16 am

Would it be overstating it to say Michael Taylor had the worst game in the history of baseball last night? He struck out 5 times and lost the game with one of the lamest defensive miscues I’ve seen in a while.

• blade3colorado said, on June 23, 2016 at 9:42 am

Cargo would be up there . . . He struck out 8 of 9 times (maybe it was 9 or 10 times) over a 2 game stretch recently.

8. unca_chuck said, on June 23, 2016 at 9:27 am

Oh, Tire Fire had a few noteworthy meltdowns.

9. dirtnrocksnomo said, on June 23, 2016 at 9:35 am

.500 ball the rest of the way = 90 wins.

In Bochy I trust.

• chipower9 said, on June 23, 2016 at 10:15 am

I like those numbers…and I suspect they do better than .500 rest of the way…

10. zumiee said, on June 23, 2016 at 9:42 am

The Dodgers have hit a lot of HRs lately, but I was surprised to see that, overall, they’re only middle of the pack, at 17th, so far. The Giants are second to last (29th), which is no bigee. The Giants were last in HRs during one of the championship seasons. Plus not having Pence for a while contributes to that.
    Baltimore and Toronto are the top two, which makes sense.

11. zumiee said, on June 23, 2016 at 9:47 am

Pirates wearing the camo unis….it’s already been exposed that the U.S. military pays MLB to do that, for advertising purposes for the military. There’s little that’s patriotic about it. It’s just MLB finding another way to make money, and the military finding another way to try to draw young people in to become cannon-fodder.

• chipower9 said, on June 23, 2016 at 10:21 am

Hmmm…so, the military pays MLB to outfit their clubs once a year instead of dedicating that money as one one-billionth of a down-payment on a new F22 Raptor. I see no harm, no foul.

Also, the teams typically have the players autograph the jerseys, and then sell them to the highest bidder, with the proceeds going to an organization the likes of Jr. Giants. That’s a huge win right there.

And “little patriotic about it?” How is acknowledging our military not patriotic? There are much more important things to spin-on, IMO. We all have our opinions, and I respect those of others (like your’s Zume). This is a non-issue for me, but I am a bit biased since I served our air force for 33 years.

• Lurker John said, on June 23, 2016 at 10:25 am

Great post chi and thank your for your 3+ decades of service.

• Carstie Clausen said, on June 23, 2016 at 11:48 am

The Air-Farce never should have been added in 1947. The days of the strategic bomber are over. The AF should be replaced by a Missile Command, while Army, Navy and Marines should take care of fighter planes, depending on roles.

• chipower9 said, on June 23, 2016 at 11:57 am

Have to disagree with you, Stix. I was in the heat of it all during the first gulf war, supporting a wing of F-111 and EF-111s. Those were the types of missions cut-out for a traditional air force. My father-in-law (well, I continued to call him my father-in-law after I divorced, and continued to have a good relationship with him) flew 22 combat sorties over North Vietnam. Again, these were missions designed for a traditional air force. But, I agree, there is a transition in play now where the traditional fighters are being replaced by remotely piloted vehicles, and future wars will be fought as much in outer space and cyberspace as they will be on the ground (or in the air).

• chipower9 said, on June 23, 2016 at 11:58 am

Thanks, LJ. It was an honor to serve. I would do it all again in a heartbeat.

• Irish Kevin said, on June 23, 2016 at 12:53 pm

Uh..if any of the armed forces is going to be cut it is the Army. Navy and AF transport troops, Marines are in the constitution.

• Lurker John said, on June 23, 2016 at 10:21 am

I served with pride, zum, as did many of my friends and coworkers and none of us ever felt like we were “canon-fodder.” That’s just insulting. Defending our freedoms would be number one reason we joined in the first place. I know that’s a punchline to a lot of folks, but not to us. Please refrain from comments like that in the future.

• Carstie Clausen said, on June 23, 2016 at 11:49 am

Lurker: It has nothing to do with “defending our freedumbs”. That’s just empty rhetoric. it’s about defending the corporate empire.

• Carstie Clausen said, on June 23, 2016 at 11:46 am

Agree 100%. The U$ puppet regime’s military is totally under the thumb of the WarDefense industry. They are not there to defend the American people but to defend ascending profits for their primary stockholders via no-bid contracts and massive cost over-runs.

12. chipower9 said, on June 23, 2016 at 10:09 am

Great post Flav. I like Law a lot an laughed when I saw your Big Daddy (Reuschel) reference. Great comparison (body types). I still think it will eventually be him or Stricland that closes most of our games (Strickland needs at least one more pitch he can throw consistently for strikes).

Man, I missed a couple of innings last night. By the time I got home and turned on the game, G-men were down 6-1. So, I started doing my dinner prep, etc. and was outside at the grill for a while…come back in later, and realized “oh yeah, Giants are playing,” and we are up 7-6. Sweet!

That was bad ass the way they closed it out. Posey visits the mound, and I am sure he asked Casilla to throw a specific pitch. BOOM! Strike-out/throw-out DP. Game over! Take the series with a win today, and our boys go home with a tidy 6-1 roadie, and get ready for the Phils and As.

13. Lurker John said, on June 23, 2016 at 10:11 am

Suarez is looking like he’s going to get torched.

14. unca_chuck said, on June 23, 2016 at 10:18 am

Hmmmm. Nice recovery for Suarez.

15. dirtnrocksnomo said, on June 23, 2016 at 10:19 am

Nice K to escape the inning. Gotta get some runs.

16. Lurker John said, on June 23, 2016 at 10:22 am

Nice Houdini act by Suarez there.

17. Bozo said, on June 23, 2016 at 10:23 am

The game is on my TV, it isn’t the middle of the night. This is fucking great.

18. unca_chuck said, on June 23, 2016 at 10:24 am

These Pirate announcers are less than awesome. They’ve been talking about the movie Tombstone for the last 2 innings. Like the actual game is a distraction.

• dirtnrocksnomo said, on June 23, 2016 at 10:26 am

Can’t you chose KNBR on GameDay?

• unca_chuck said, on June 23, 2016 at 10:29 am

Yeah, I just wanted to listen to those guys for a bit . . .

19. Lurker John said, on June 23, 2016 at 10:26 am

Gillaspie has been swinging a hot bat for the past 5 games or so.

20. unca_chuck said, on June 23, 2016 at 10:30 am

Let’s go, Joe!!

21. unca_chuck said, on June 23, 2016 at 10:31 am

22. chipower9 said, on June 23, 2016 at 10:31 am

Whoop! Joe NO Panik!

23. Bozo said, on June 23, 2016 at 10:31 am

Panik time.

24. Lurker John said, on June 23, 2016 at 10:31 am

Panik time!

25. Macdog said, on June 23, 2016 at 10:32 am

Panik in P-burgh!

26. chipower9 said, on June 23, 2016 at 10:33 am

Tack on! Love those crooked numbers!

27. Bozo said, on June 23, 2016 at 10:34 am

Kang with the clang.

28. zumiee said, on June 23, 2016 at 10:39 am

Great comeback. Started with Suarez getting out of that dicey situation.

Sorry that I offended some military veterans on the Flap; I could have chosen my words better.
    I just don’t like the way the military advertises these days sometimes, is all. Sorry we disagree on that. It bugs me that some of the TV commercials are trying to make war look like a video game.
    I’m not anti-military. I may be the only Flapper actually BORN on a military base. A U.S. Airforce base in Tachikawa, Japan.

• chipower9 said, on June 23, 2016 at 12:00 pm

No harm, no foul, Zume. I do not expect everyone to have the same spin on our military as I do, and I respect the opinions of others. All good brother.

29. Bozo said, on June 23, 2016 at 11:22 am

I was never much of a Dave Flemming fan to begin with, I’m becoming even less so each time I hear him.

• Flavor said, on June 23, 2016 at 11:27 am

Pompous Stanford fuck

• Bozo said, on June 23, 2016 at 11:29 am

I’d like to bitch slap that snotty tone out of his voice.

30. Bozo said, on June 23, 2016 at 11:27 am

Wow, he got all of that.

31. Macdog said, on June 23, 2016 at 11:28 am

Big Mac!

32. zumiee said, on June 23, 2016 at 11:35 am

Mac kind of looks like Schierholz in the face, with that GQ stubble going.

33. unca_chuck said, on June 23, 2016 at 12:00 pm

Flem? Ehhh. After listening to some of the other guys on other broadcasts that I have, he’s gold.

• chipower9 said, on June 23, 2016 at 12:01 pm

Yeah, I am not a big rah-rah fan of Flem, but he is okay. Like you Charlie – I have certainly heard a lot worse.

34. chipower9 said, on June 23, 2016 at 12:03 pm

Man, Suarez with 102 pitches to get through 5 innings. I have been in and out of meetings all morning, so was not able to follow closely. With only four hits two walks, he must have went deep on a lot of counts.

Just hang on for the W boys!

35. zumiee said, on June 23, 2016 at 12:07 pm

Arquimedes Caminero is a NAME, folks.

• Flavor said, on June 23, 2016 at 12:14 pm

when I heard that name the other day I thought of Loo saying “I musta had 20 guys in my high school named that”

• unca_chuck said, on June 23, 2016 at 12:18 pm

His middle name is Euclides. Of course it is . . .

• zumiee said, on June 23, 2016 at 12:21 pm

There’s a lot of awesome in his full name.

• chipower9 said, on June 23, 2016 at 2:13 pm

She had that Camarillo Brillo…Flamin’ out along her head…

• unca_chuck said, on June 23, 2016 at 12:19 pm

Something tells me Arquimedes isn’t . . .

36. dirtnrocksnomo said, on June 23, 2016 at 12:21 pm

Williamson coming to life would be awesome for the club.

• zumiee said, on June 23, 2016 at 12:22 pm

Bochy with the golden touch batting him 3rd today.

• Flavor said, on June 23, 2016 at 12:23 pm

he’s gotten out like twice in the last 2 days. OBP must be skyrocketing

• dirtnrocksnomo said, on June 23, 2016 at 12:30 pm

lulz, yeah he’s pushed it up over .300. He’s only got 37 abs this year. I guess I was surprised as it seems like more.

37. zumiee said, on June 23, 2016 at 12:25 pm

All the fill-in guys were real good on this Pittsburgh trip. What a boost!

38. unca_chuck said, on June 23, 2016 at 12:26 pm

Crazy thing is, the Dogs have gone 8-2. And lost ground to us.

• ewisco said, on June 23, 2016 at 12:32 pm

Yeah I SSW that in the paper today. Pretty sweet.

• ewisco said, on June 23, 2016 at 12:32 pm

Saw

39. zumiee said, on June 23, 2016 at 12:33 pm

Thanks, ump!

• Bozo said, on June 23, 2016 at 12:42 pm

Yup, on both Ks.

40. unca_chuck said, on June 23, 2016 at 12:38 pm

Damn. A clean inning lost.

41. unca_chuck said, on June 23, 2016 at 12:39 pm

Keep Frieze in the park . . .

42. unca_chuck said, on June 23, 2016 at 12:39 pm

Flem doing all he can do to jinx this.

43. dirtnrocksnomo said, on June 23, 2016 at 12:43 pm

Casillalater!

44. unca_chuck said, on June 23, 2016 at 12:43 pm

Yeah, baby! Good to see Casilla back on the beam.

45. chipower9 said, on June 23, 2016 at 12:43 pm

Fuck Yeah! 6-1 Roadie!

46. Bozo said, on June 23, 2016 at 12:44 pm

Game.

47. zumiee said, on June 23, 2016 at 12:44 pm

Big exhale. 🙂

48. Macdog said, on June 23, 2016 at 12:44 pm

3 outta 4 ain’t bad!

49. Lurker John said, on June 23, 2016 at 12:45 pm

Great roadie!

50. ewisco said, on June 23, 2016 at 12:45 pm

Sweet! Maybe the birth of his daughter has cleared cassilla’s mind. He’s looking very effective

51. unca_chuck said, on June 23, 2016 at 12:45 pm

Suarez with his first win. Tied with Iron Head Joe on the one-win list.

• unca_chuck said, on June 23, 2016 at 12:47 pm

Shit. Rico Suave is 3-1? Who knew?

• zumiee said, on June 23, 2016 at 12:49 pm

He’s 3-1. 🙂

52. zumiee said, on June 23, 2016 at 12:46 pm

20 games over .500.
    6 game lead in the division.

53. Flavor said, on June 23, 2016 at 12:47 pm

just piling up the wins in the bank. In Sept we’ll be the one to catch…….

54. Irish Kevin said, on June 23, 2016 at 12:54 pm

Looking Good!

• chipower9 said, on June 23, 2016 at 1:16 pm

Yep…even that old guy…what’s his name??? Pa-Gone??? 😉

I am going to make you cringe right here, Irish…I think there is a good chance you see Crazy Horse back next year. Just a hunch…time will tell.

• blade3colorado said, on June 23, 2016 at 1:49 pm

Ditto. Too many people keep throwing Angel under the bus.

55. Carstie Clausen said, on June 23, 2016 at 1:08 pm

Whatever happened to the June Swoon? Getting kinda late for that to set in. Spose the Fillies can get it going at Willie Mays Field?

Man, Bochy and the Trainbust are gonna have some sortin out to do. Way these fill-ins and subs are doing the returns of Specs, Duffy and Pence is likely to lead to some pretty serious head-scratching. After shit-sad-sorry starts both Parker and Williamson are coming along nicely now after getting some serious chances at starting on the field. Pena? Whoda ever thunk it? Probably his offensive heroics will not last, but man, i’m digging the hell outta his recent production. Gillaspie the Grim could probably get a role in some epic Viking movie playing Harold Bluetooth or Eirik Bloodaxe. Meanwhile, he has made some Giant strides in the direction of being a keeper.

I mean, who do you send down?

• chipower9 said, on June 23, 2016 at 1:14 pm

Yes…the types of “problems” you like to have…

When/if Romo returns, I think Stratton. Duffy will equate to Pena going down. Pence will equate to Williamson (IMO). Either him or Parker, but as it stands now, I think it would be Williamson.

56. willedav said, on June 23, 2016 at 1:15 pm

With a bochy special LU from ST B game no less.
    Second great day from pen, I think 10 shutout innings combined. Pirates can hit too, lot of their guys have high OPS numbers. Healthy, they have a fine OF plus Harrison and Kang. No idea why Kratz is in there.
    Today middle order for them 0-8 couple sac flies from Polanco. And once again Cutch in on deck circle as game ends.

Not to get into the politics, but imo camo unis are a bad look with a dumb cap to match. I guess it’s marketing, in other words all about money, but I guess I’m too old school to be much of a fan of teams wearing different unis, esp at home. Don’t much care for Giants Friday orange either—seems like another Baer money grabbing promo.

• zumiee said, on June 23, 2016 at 1:21 pm

It’s a multi-uni world now. The ghost of Charlie Finley, I guess. Or Bill Veeck. In some ways, ahead of their time.

57. zumiee said, on June 23, 2016 at 1:32 pm

Dodgers are dipping into AAA again for a starting pitcher. Nick Temisch(who?) gets the start tomorrow night.

• snarkk said, on June 23, 2016 at 4:32 pm

Wouldn’t doubt it if LA picks up a starter at the trade deadline…

58. zumiee said, on June 23, 2016 at 1:37 pm

The Phillies start a rook tomorrow night, 0-2, with a 10.82 ERA.
    To be fair, he is a top-ranked prospect getting his first big-league exposure. He does have talent.

• chipower9 said, on June 23, 2016 at 2:16 pm

OUCH. Just the kind of guy who usually kicks the Giant’s asses!

59. blade3colorado said, on June 23, 2016 at 2:00 pm

Off topic . . . I’m happy for Cleveland fans finally being able to celebrate. Been a long time since their last parade:

• Carstie Clausen said, on June 23, 2016 at 2:05 pm

High Larry Us.

• ewisco said, on June 23, 2016 at 2:13 pm

Nice pull Steve. The town’s changed quite a bit since then.

• chipower9 said, on June 23, 2016 at 2:16 pm

lulz!

60. zumiee said, on June 23, 2016 at 4:35 pm

Timmy gets his second start tonight, against the A’s again.

61. zumiee said, on June 23, 2016 at 7:20 pm

Timmy threw 26 pitches in the first inning; no runs.

• bassbaldy said, on June 23, 2016 at 7:31 pm

Yeah Zum … That first inning sure looked oh so familiar from what we saw of TL the last few years … Damn, it saddens me, I really want him to succeed … maybe even come home next year … hoping he will put it all together in the next couple of months!

• zumiee said, on June 23, 2016 at 7:35 pm

I agree with all of that.

62. zumiee said, on June 23, 2016 at 7:34 pm

Timmy isn’t going to go deep into this game tonight.

• willedav said, on June 23, 2016 at 7:38 pm

not after Semien’s 3 run bomb in the 2nd. A’s aren’t exactly an offensive juggernaut but they already have 5 hits in the inning with 1 out and 3 runs.
      Tough night for those fans of OBT.

• zumiee said, on June 23, 2016 at 7:39 pm

Yep.

63. zumiee said, on June 23, 2016 at 7:38 pm

Hard to watch.

64. zumiee said, on June 23, 2016 at 7:43 pm

It doesn’t help that the Angels’ D sucks.

• willedav said, on June 23, 2016 at 7:48 pm

Agreed. but no one on the field was catching the one Semien hit.

• bassbaldy said, on June 23, 2016 at 7:52 pm

Fuck, does it EVER! … That single to the right side by Voght looked like it was playable if the 2nd baseman had dove for the ball … That looked like a pathetic effort … and the missed catch by Escobar was atrocious … ugh poor OBT!

65. willedav said, on June 23, 2016 at 7:47 pm

2 innings 62 pitches 4 runs fb at 88.
    Back to reality.

• zumiee said, on June 23, 2016 at 7:49 pm

A grim reality.

66. zumiee said, on June 23, 2016 at 7:47 pm

After 2 innings, 63 pitches and 4 runs.

• bassbaldy said, on June 23, 2016 at 7:54 pm

Was he not hitting 92 with the FB last week? He looks pretty drenched too … Sweating like a nervous pig in the slaughter house …

• zumiee said, on June 23, 2016 at 7:57 pm

He’s such a junk-baller tonight.

67. zumiee said, on June 23, 2016 at 7:55 pm

Watching a slow-motion train wreck.

68. zumiee said, on June 23, 2016 at 8:01 pm

Of course, Fosse cracking jokes about it.

69. zumiee said, on June 23, 2016 at 8:04 pm

“Only” 20 pitches that inning.

70. blade3colorado said, on June 23, 2016 at 8:19 pm

This BREXIT is almost like a 1 run lead, 8th inning baseball game . . . Current pre-market is calling for a 500 point plus loss in the first few minutes when the Dow opens (if BREXIT passes).

71. zumiee said, on June 23, 2016 at 8:44 pm

Only 3 innings, mercifully.

72. zumiee said, on June 23, 2016 at 9:09 pm

Timmy’s next start is vs. the Astros.

• bassbaldy said, on June 23, 2016 at 9:39 pm

Oh, thats too bad, Astros are getting it together lately.

73. ewisco said, on June 23, 2016 at 9:39 pm

British exit. hopefully that doesn’t end badly.

speaking of which, i hope sandog has escaped the worst of the fires.