Another Win, Another Irritating Krukism

Posted in Uncategorized by Flavor on June 25, 2016

I missed the end of the game. What can I say? I’m a baller with a bedtime. Kudos to those of you who clawed your way to that win.

“Money in the bank” goes tonight and I can’t see how they lose this game….

My newest irritation with Mike Krukow (after pitchers who “will throw anything at any time” and his constant pre-game blather about what type of strike that day’s umpire will be calling): always calling a runner fast or declaring that he has good speed. Regardless of how fast or slow they actually are…..

What bothers you most about our beloved K/K tandem?

1. snarkk said, on June 25, 2016 at 9:46 pm

Blanco should not be a regular starter, he sucks at the plate when he plays too much. That is a given, proven over and over again the last half decade. I agree that Williamson and Parker should keep getting reps. I don’t get why they aren’t…

• zumiee said, on June 25, 2016 at 9:48 pm

These Blanco starts didn’t make any sense. It was kind of a temporary reversion to the “old Bochy” that used to annoy us. These games against the Phillies were screaming for a Parker/Mac platoon.

2. djloo27 said, on June 25, 2016 at 9:49 pm

Seems like the Philly bullpen has about 15 Dominicans with made up first names…

3. Lurker John said, on June 25, 2016 at 9:49 pm

Panik has real nice footwork around the bag. He took Crawford’s toss from a pretty sharp angle and still made the turn look easy. An oft overlooked part of the game.

4. djloo27 said, on June 25, 2016 at 9:51 pm

Someone has to hit Triples Alley this inning…

5. Lurker John said, on June 25, 2016 at 9:51 pm

Or McCovey Cove…

6. bassbaldy said, on June 25, 2016 at 9:52 pm

Having gillaspie hit for Bum was not a good idea .. I think Bum is a better hitter.. I agree we should be seeing more of Parker & Williamson

7. Lurker John said, on June 25, 2016 at 9:55 pm

It seems to me that the Giant’s offense is often hurt more by AT&T than the opposing team is. They had a good offensive road trip, then come home and have two flat games.

• bassbaldy said, on June 25, 2016 at 10:01 pm

Excellent observation LJ .. I feel the exact same thing very often

This was a disappointing loss, a game we should have won — our ace on the mound, his bat making a contribution … A very shitty loss to a spirited young team but a team that we should be wiping the floor with .. Especially with the effort Bum puts forth time & time again.

8. Paul Sorensen said, on June 25, 2016 at 9:55 pm

This weekend series was supposed to be *easy*. Last night was a struggle to win, tonight the same. MadBum got what, 2 total runs for his last couple of starts? That’s probably a little annoying. Especially when the boys score 10 for Cueto the next game, which hopefully happens tomorrow…. Really don’t want to see this as a start to a rather late June swoon…

9. zumiee said, on June 25, 2016 at 10:01 pm

They gave away bobbleheads tonight, and then they gave away the game. Belt couldn’t get the runner over to third. There was a good chance Crawford would have gotten Panik in. Bum grooved a fastball to one of the few HR threats on the Phillies.

10. Irish Kevin said, on June 25, 2016 at 10:02 pm

Yeah Bum has to be annoyed by the anemic run scoring, maybe he is becoming th Matt Cain, no run support.

• bassbaldy said, on June 25, 2016 at 10:11 pm

I sure hope you are wrong about that IK … but it is obviously starting to drift in that direction. I mean, two in row .. WTF?

11. zumiee said, on June 25, 2016 at 10:09 pm

I don’t know what they’re going to do with Span. He’s struggling to stay above .250. He’s got a goofy batting stance. He’s heading into Rowand territory, which is territory he really wants to avoid.

• Paul Sorensen said, on June 25, 2016 at 10:12 pm

Or at least *we* dearly want him to avoid…

• bassbaldy said, on June 25, 2016 at 10:15 pm

Yep. I believe it is safe to say his first half of his first season is a Fail. He may turn it around in the second half but I’m starting to sense we are seeing what is left of Denard Span: talented player that fell victim to too much time on the DL ……

• ewisco said, on June 26, 2016 at 5:08 am

speaking of rowand territory, i said this a couple weeks back:

I’ll also be the first to say that Span’s hitting will eventually disappear. he’s doing the same thing that the gamer did, which is moving his head vertically as the pitcher comes to the plate. you can get away with that when you’re young and your hands are incredibly fast, but eventually it catches up with you. it’s hard enough to hit a ball that’s moving in three (four if you include velocity?) dimensions without you adding to one of them.

12. zumiee said, on June 25, 2016 at 10:22 pm

Those Phillie late-inning bullpen guys are good. They’re legit.

• Lurker John said, on June 25, 2016 at 10:31 pm

Especially the 8th inning guy. He has some nasty stuff.

13. Paul Sorensen said, on June 25, 2016 at 10:22 pm

As long as the team is winning, which they have been at a glorious clip, and maintaining a lead in the division, not a lot of urgency on management’s part to shake anything up. Understandably so. But I do hope they have had discussions and are constantly analyzing weak spots so that when something *bad* does happen (another key injury, a swooning losing streak), they’re ready to pounce and put something in motion. One thing they could possibly be considering, especially with Pence gone for quite awhile, is that *he’s just there* has been ok but might not be good enough for the stretch drive….

• Lurker John said, on June 25, 2016 at 10:35 pm

Right now he flat out stinks. The lead off guy needs to be the agitator and the only thing Span is agitating right now is the fan base. HJT indeed.

14. Lurker John said, on June 25, 2016 at 10:30 pm

To add to my last post, and zumiee brought this up earlier and I agree, if there’s any merit to the idea that the team is negatively impacted offensively by the park, it’s all the more reason to play as many day games as possible. A 7:05 start on Saturday night is baffling to say the least. The 6:00 starts suck because of crappy lighting. Why not just have 1:05 or 1:15 starts on weekend games? That used to be the norm, but not anymore.

And I hang this loss as much on Bochy as Bum. It was evident to me that he was starting to struggle in the 6th and it was obvious in the 7th. The Phillies fouled off a ton of pitches in this game and his pitch count was up. Bochy did as he often does, he stays with his vets. Tonight was too long, IMO, but the tactic has resulted in 3 World Series titles so it’s tough to say it doesn’t work. I just think that tonight Bum needed to come out sooner. But there’s plenty of blame to go around. A good chance to stretch the Dog-ears out was lost and Kershaw goes tomorrow. Just have to come back tomorrow and get ’em with Johnny C. on the hill.

15. unca_chuck said, on June 26, 2016 at 6:40 am

Doesn’t Fox determine the game start times? I bought this was try for Saturday’s anyway

16. willedav said, on June 26, 2016 at 7:09 am

No way Bum was coming out with a shut out through 6 and an average pitch count in a close game. blame bochy if you want but he didn’t have the ball in his hands. 2 runs or not, Bum had the lead and coughed it up.

One thing I notice here this AM is how little Panik’s gaffe got mentioned. That was a pretty big play that killed a rally–he’d could have gone half way and still got back but instead took off like it was a sure thing, which of course it wasn’t.
    I’d also bet if that was Belt blog would have blown up.