Keystone Giants

Posted in Uncategorized by Flavor on June 30, 2016

Maybe it’s time to peek in on Marco Scutaro and see how he’s moving around. We need infielders!

Last night’s game isn’t going to go away for a while. As James said, he’s going to remember that game 10 years from now and just like the Brenly game, I think he’s absolutely right. I’m not sure which Giant was worse. Mac Williamson literally goosed a ball over the fence for an HR for the A’s. Tejada dropped a ball that little league infielders catch. And Pagan was playing like he was asleep out there. What was that all about?

As the A’s march towards this absurd sweep, tonight we get to watch Bumgarner hit in place of a DH. That’s will be fun to watch. Until he’s no longer in the game and we have to send a reliever up there to hit. Whatever, Boch will just use a PH like he normally would. I doubt we see a pitcher hit for us tonight (besides Bum).

1. sandog said, on June 30, 2016 at 9:31 pm

Fun Fact from the A’s telecast: Bob Forsch hit 12 career homers. Sactown boy. I don’t remember him being a guy who could swing it like that.

• djloo27 said, on June 30, 2016 at 9:34 pm

The Forsches were indistinguishable to me. I think one of ’em pitched a no-no on the last day of the season…

• sandog said, on June 30, 2016 at 9:41 pm

For some reason, I was more of a fan of Bob. I remember watching him pitch a nice game for the Cards on the game of the week one day. I also kind of had a thing for those Astros teams he was on at the end of his career.

2. Paul Sorensen said, on June 30, 2016 at 9:34 pm

Faneuil Hall? Cradle of Liberty and all that historical stuff? Think Larimar Square, except more so.

• blade3colorado said, on June 30, 2016 at 9:38 pm

Ahh. Ok.

• James said, on June 30, 2016 at 9:43 pm

There are better options than the shitty food courts at FH. I’d try http://www.shojoboston.com

• Macdog said, on June 30, 2016 at 9:46 pm

But the bathrooms there are first-rate.

• chipower9 said, on June 30, 2016 at 10:21 pm

Just looked at the menu at shojo, James. Fucking spot-on in my book. I will definitely be checking this out. Will talk to Steve and make reservations tomorrow. Thanks for the suggestion!

3. Macdog said, on June 30, 2016 at 9:39 pm

And this is far from over.

4. unca_chuck said, on June 30, 2016 at 9:42 pm

Oh dear. The pen better be on their feed tonight.

5. unca_chuck said, on June 30, 2016 at 9:44 pm

Who was the other Forsch? Bob Was a Card so I hated him, but I don’t remember the other one.

• Macdog said, on June 30, 2016 at 9:45 pm

Ken?

• Lurker John said, on June 30, 2016 at 9:53 pm

yup

6. unca_chuck said, on June 30, 2016 at 9:46 pm

Just line the Worrells. Todd and Ted?

• djloo27 said, on June 30, 2016 at 9:48 pm

Tim

• djloo27 said, on June 30, 2016 at 9:50 pm

Tim was ours. Don’t remind me…

• James said, on June 30, 2016 at 10:00 pm

His 38 saves in 2003 are still the single greatest argument against spending a lot for a closer.

7. Macdog said, on June 30, 2016 at 9:53 pm

If Belt hadn’t made that play, Tejada should’ve been thrown off the Bay Bridge on the way back.

8. zumiee said, on June 30, 2016 at 9:53 pm

This Tejada guy is less than awesome.

9. Lurker John said, on June 30, 2016 at 9:55 pm

Bob Forsch died in 2011. I didn’t know that. He won 168 games in the bigs, pretty damn good. Ken won 114.

10. Paul Sorensen said, on June 30, 2016 at 9:56 pm

Yes, James, Boston is a great eating and drinking city, so many good bars and restos. FH does have that food court but also has some ok bars/restaurants. Central location, etc, make it ok; easy walk over to the North End for good Italian food, easy walk to downtown, the Water Front, Chinatown, etc. FH is very touristy… but hey, our Flappers are going to be tourists, so what the hell. And yes, Mac and Loo (sounds like a Kraft quick dinner from a box), restrooms work fine.

• James said, on June 30, 2016 at 10:04 pm

Did you ever have the roast chicken at Hamersly’s?

• James said, on June 30, 2016 at 10:07 pm

Paul, it usually takes about 15 minutes of planning to not eat like a tourist :).

• chipower9 said, on June 30, 2016 at 10:23 pm

No, I do not want to be a tourist, Paul. I ALWAYS try to avoid this regardless of where I am when traveling. I want to get out into the heart and soul of what Boston’s locals love. The restaurant James recommended earlier looks awesome! Just need to find out the best place to get a slice, now.

11. zumiee said, on June 30, 2016 at 9:57 pm

The D-Backs have a righthander, Miller, going tomorrow night, so Gillaspie gets the start at third.
    Bochy just needs to end the platoon at thirdbase, and stick with Gillaspie.

12. Lurker John said, on June 30, 2016 at 9:57 pm

That was a hell of a pick-up by Belt, and Kuiper called it like it was a perfect throw.

• snarkk said, on June 30, 2016 at 9:59 pm

Flemm called out Tejada for a crappy throw, and Belt saved his ass…

• sandog said, on June 30, 2016 at 10:13 pm

Belt gave it a bit of a “are you fucking kidding me right now?” look after snaring that throw.
        I liked it.
        And a perfect example of why Flem is the man in my book and Kuip can be handed a gold watch at any time.

• chipower9 said, on June 30, 2016 at 10:25 pm

Agree. I know a lot of Flappers hammer Flemm’s ass tirelessly here, but I like him. Agree, Kuip can get his gold watch anytime. Thanks for the memories and calls, Smooth.

13. unca_chuck said, on June 30, 2016 at 9:58 pm

Jesus. Tejada is scary out there.

14. snarkk said, on June 30, 2016 at 9:58 pm

WTF isn’t Gillaspie playing third? The guy has a couple of games with 4 hits, looks like he’s got some good AB mojo finally going, then Boch replaces him at third w/ some dude (Tejada?) who was just stacking bats in Sacto. I don’t get that at all…

• zumiee said, on June 30, 2016 at 9:59 pm

Bochy went straight righty/lefty platoon. That needs to end.

• snarkk said, on June 30, 2016 at 10:01 pm

OK, yeah, that is total BS. If a guy gets 4 hits in a game within the last few starts, in my book he’s playing, whether Cy Young or Lefty Grove is pitching…

• djloo27 said, on June 30, 2016 at 10:06 pm

Cy Young’s numbers will make your head explode.
        Personally, I doubt their accuracy…

• djloo27 said, on June 30, 2016 at 10:09 pm

Lefty Grove’s numbers are much more believable. He won exactly 300 games.

I wonder if anyone was ever nicknamed “Righty”?

• snarkk said, on June 30, 2016 at 10:11 pm

Maybe Hitler?…
        “Rechty”…

• zumiee said, on June 30, 2016 at 10:13 pm

Good records were kept in the 1890s, believe it or not. Boxscores were being printed in newspapers already by then. The game was different in that the batters were way more hacker-ish in those days. Batters weren’t grinding long ABs. And pitchers were just throwing fastballs basically. A few guys could throw a decent curve. Some guys threw spitballs in those days. And the same ball was often used for several innings and got pretty dark.

• Macdog said, on June 30, 2016 at 10:14 pm

Loo, only if David Wright played for the D-Backs.

• Lurker John said, on June 30, 2016 at 10:04 pm

That’s a good question. Why they even brought Tejada up is a mystery. At the least tonight, Gillaspie should be in there for defensive purposes.

15. zumiee said, on June 30, 2016 at 9:58 pm

6 more outs from our bullpen to go….

16. djloo27 said, on June 30, 2016 at 10:00 pm

It’s July here already.
    Seems like a few weeks ago I was digging out 30 inches of snow.

17. alleykat69 said, on June 30, 2016 at 10:03 pm

Just pray our Bullpen doesn’t turn into 3 mile island…

18. unca_chuck said, on June 30, 2016 at 10:04 pm

Can’t remember the bar we went to but it was downstairs 2′ levels and had a giant wooden fish on the wall. Had a lot of fun in Boston. And yeah did lots of walking.

19. snarkk said, on June 30, 2016 at 10:06 pm

I remember a long time ago in Beantown going to Quincy Market — lots of pretty good food stalls in there. Got some good clam chowda somewhere. I assume that’s still there…

• unca_chuck said, on June 30, 2016 at 10:09 pm

Is that the big lng hallway of food stalls? Shit, I got no memory left whatsoever.

Ahhh,i do remember the Boston and Maine Fish Company….

• snarkk said, on June 30, 2016 at 10:10 pm

Yep, that’s it. Downtown…

20. unca_chuck said, on June 30, 2016 at 10:07 pm

Gearren looks like he’s corralled the movement in a little.

• zumiee said, on June 30, 2016 at 10:15 pm

21. snarkk said, on June 30, 2016 at 10:09 pm

Strickland has been up what, going on a full two seasons? I don’t understand how he hasn’t developed a go-to out pitch. He throws a pretty straight heater, and his slider is still pretty inconsistent. If the guy had a decent to fair changeup, he’d be nails…

• chipower9 said, on June 30, 2016 at 10:28 pm

Agree…I have said the same thing over and over…basically since he first came up. With his 2- and 4-seam heaters, if he could get consistent on his slider, AND add a good change…he would be un-hittable!

22. chipower9 said, on June 30, 2016 at 10:10 pm

Nice rebound by Gearrin.

23. Lurker John said, on June 30, 2016 at 10:11 pm

nice pitch to whiff Butler, who always seems to be a thorn in the Giant’s side.

24. Macdog said, on June 30, 2016 at 10:11 pm

Much better Gearrin tonight.

25. Lurker John said, on June 30, 2016 at 10:15 pm

Crawfish is really, really good at squaring the ball up. Lot of sharp line drives.

• chipower9 said, on June 30, 2016 at 10:30 pm

He has definitely grown to be a much more mature hitter, and no doubt, he has some pop. How fucking cool to be NorCal born and raised, grow up a Giant fan, dream of being a Giant, and then win a couple of World Series with them, be an all star, and then win the gold glove and silver slugger in the same year. The kid is special.

• Lurker John said, on June 30, 2016 at 10:40 pm

As cool as it gets. I was that kid, I just wasn’t very good at baseball. lol

26. snarkk said, on June 30, 2016 at 10:16 pm

I remember being in Boston for a few days sometime in ’83 or ’84. I went to the Garden and saw the Celtics play god knows who, I don’t remember. Anyway, I do remember pounding down some brews in a bar right near or a part of the Garden before the game, and then going in half crocked. That place was a dump, but cool nonetheless. They allowed smoking then, so by the 4th quarter it looked like half the people had been grilling burgers on hibachis inside. Bird was Bird, great experience…

• djloo27 said, on June 30, 2016 at 10:18 pm

I think Bird turns 60 this year. Feel old?

• snarkk said, on June 30, 2016 at 10:21 pm

I’m gainin’ on him…

27. unca_chuck said, on June 30, 2016 at 10:19 pm

DJ, CY, like Kershaw, was a playoff dud. 2-3.

Over 7,300 innings pitched though is insane.

• snarkk said, on June 30, 2016 at 10:22 pm

He could probably touch his toes with his pitching hand without bending over…

28. djloo27 said, on June 30, 2016 at 10:21 pm

Bumgarner’s gonna have a lot of innings on him by the time he’s a FA…

• chipower9 said, on June 30, 2016 at 10:32 pm

Yes. Will be interesting to see how his body holds-up over the next couple of years.

• djloo27 said, on June 30, 2016 at 10:35 pm

And who pays him what for how long…

29. unca_chuck said, on June 30, 2016 at 10:22 pm

Te-nada.

• Lurker John said, on June 30, 2016 at 10:41 pm

Gold, baby, gold.

30. Macdog said, on June 30, 2016 at 10:24 pm

Last time I was in Boston was ’95 for a Nets-Celtics game, for no other reason than to go to Boston Garden before they tore it down. And it didn’t disappoint. Truly the last of its kind. No ear-splitting noise before or during the game — just fans allowed to be hear themselves boo and cheer as the starting lineups were introduced and able to carry conversations during timeouts. I’m pretty sure we ate at Faneuil on that visit.

• djloo27 said, on June 30, 2016 at 10:27 pm

Very brilliant about Wright, Mac!

• Macdog said, on June 30, 2016 at 10:29 pm

I know how much you enjoy their announcers..

31. sandog said, on June 30, 2016 at 10:26 pm

Did some digging. Neither Forsch brother threw a no-hitter on the last day of the season, but Bob carried a no-hitter into the seventh inning of a key game against the Pirates on the second to last day of the season, which must be the game Loo was thinking about. FYI, Bob also was the guy who drilled HacMan in the back during the Flap Down playoff series.

• djloo27 said, on June 30, 2016 at 10:28 pm

Maybe it was opening day?

• sandog said, on June 30, 2016 at 10:34 pm

You’re not feeling the 3 hitter against the Bucs with the pennant on the line? Wikipedia claims that game was “very memorable.” (I might have added “very” on my own)

Hey, should we even bother lacking a sweatshirt or light windbreaker for our July trip to NY?

• djloo27 said, on June 30, 2016 at 11:12 pm

Don’t remember the Pirate game, SD, but thanks for checking.
        Maybe a light windbreaker just in case, but doubt you’ll need it.

32. Paul Sorensen said, on June 30, 2016 at 10:29 pm

With all of Boston’s diverse neighborhoods, finding dive bars is no problem, and the dive bars there are the best. Often the same characters sitting at the bar from morning til night. I’d go to Faneuil Hall/ Quincy Market sometimes when family or friends were visiting (I lived in the North End, very near), but the dives were my fav locals. Plough & Stars, Sunset Grill in Brighton (best collection of micro ales in one place I’ve ever seen), Union Oyster House, a place called 7’s on Charles Street… Yeah, Tom, a couple dives down by the old Garden. Bobby Orr also had a place there called Four’s Bar, some of the best burgers I’ve ever had.

33. snarkk said, on June 30, 2016 at 10:29 pm

Adding on, nice. 10 walks tonight taken by Gyros…

34. djloo27 said, on June 30, 2016 at 10:32 pm

It’s gonna be a long night if we start posting videos of songs that have the word “walk” in the title…

35. Macdog said, on June 30, 2016 at 10:33 pm

Keep on walkin’.

36. mrsprtdude said, on June 30, 2016 at 10:35 pm

Going to Fenway to watch the Tuesday game. Saw the 1st SF game in NY since the 62 WS in 2002 So many old NY guys wearing Giants gear it was awesome. We lost that day but the fans were great to my wife and I. Not what i was expecting from the NY fans. The buzz of people watch Barry bat live for the 1st time was so cool…SF won with schmidt pitching and Bonds hit a deep homer the next day.

37. snarkk said, on June 30, 2016 at 10:35 pm

Speaking of New England, when we lived near DC, Mrs. snarkk and I did a Fall Foliage trip up there. Spent about a week in Maine. Mrs. snarkk loves lobster, she had it at least once every day for a week — lobster bisque, lobster ravioli, lobster roll, boiled lobster, lobster chowder, etc. You could get a 1.5 pounder with some boiled potatoes and a corn on the cob for $9.95 at any lobster pound, or at a festival — we were at the Rockport summer festival and they had lobster steamers that looked like they were steaming about 100 of ’em at a time. Hell, I think any kind of chicken dish was more expensive in most places…

38. chipower9 said, on June 30, 2016 at 10:36 pm

Okay – outside of what has been shared (and thanks to all Flappers for their recommendations and memories), any other hard recommendations for Boston? The place James recommended looks great. Would love to find some great dive bars, Paul, even tho Blade doesn’t drink. Definitely looking forward to this trip.

GH – are you going to be there same time (7/19-7/21)?

All you Right Coast Flappers – I am hoping to meet as many of you as possible. Flapalooza baby, let’s make it happen…either Boston or NYC!

39. chipower9 said, on June 30, 2016 at 10:37 pm

Belt…what can you say. Dude should definitely be an all star.

40. Macdog said, on June 30, 2016 at 10:38 pm

Pour it on.

41. zumiee said, on June 30, 2016 at 10:38 pm

Very groovy top of the 9th.

42. chipower9 said, on June 30, 2016 at 10:39 pm

Time to close this bitch out!

43. snarkk said, on June 30, 2016 at 10:40 pm

I heard on the radio that Kershaw visited Dr. Watkins, the back specialist in LA. I believe he’s the same guy that operated on Pagan’s back. Any herniation is no bueno. You can rehab short of surgery, but man, I wouldn’t bet on Kershaw being back on a consistent basis this season…

44. unca_chuck said, on June 30, 2016 at 10:41 pm

Wow. Nice to be on the right side of a nightmare inning. For a change.

45. Paul Sorensen said, on June 30, 2016 at 10:43 pm

Steve/Chuck, let me know exactly where you’ll be staying and for how long, and I’ll give that ‘hood some thought and let you know.

• snarkk said, on June 30, 2016 at 10:45 pm

I think I might rather get some Bangkok “hood” advice from Paul and watch the Gyros from there… šŸ˜‰

46. snarkk said, on June 30, 2016 at 10:43 pm

With an 8-run lead, I think that Law can be somewhat aggressive…

47. Macdog said, on June 30, 2016 at 10:46 pm

It took four days to finally see why the A’s stink.

48. snarkk said, on June 30, 2016 at 10:47 pm

Friggin 8 run lead and the Pen still can’t just get the side out without some drama…

49. chipower9 said, on June 30, 2016 at 10:49 pm

Fuck! Come on and finish the fuckwads in their dumb ass white shoes..

50. Lurker John said, on June 30, 2016 at 10:50 pm

Jesus, each of these games have been marathons.

51. unca_chuck said, on June 30, 2016 at 10:50 pm

This wouldn’t be an AL game without going 4 hours for 9.

52. chipower9 said, on June 30, 2016 at 10:51 pm

Ballgame! FINALLY!!

• zumiee said, on June 30, 2016 at 10:52 pm

• chipower9 said, on June 30, 2016 at 10:53 pm

Love this one, Zume. I has become an all-time Flap classic…

53. Macdog said, on June 30, 2016 at 10:52 pm

Bye-bye A’s, enjoy your next three months of meaningless baseball.

• chipower9 said, on June 30, 2016 at 10:53 pm

lqtm…perfect…

54. chipower9 said, on June 30, 2016 at 10:52 pm

Paul – we are staying at the Ramada at 800 Morrissey Boulevard. Any suggestions are welcome! I trust your judgement as much as anyones’ on here, and I think you and I would probably be seeking the same types of haunts.

55. chipower9 said, on June 30, 2016 at 11:03 pm

Good night Flap Universe…time to whoop some ass on those Dbacks…

56. Paul Sorensen said, on June 30, 2016 at 11:26 pm

Chuck, you sure you’re way out on Morrissey Blvd? That’s in Dorchester, a bit south of downtown, I mean, WAY out of downtown…. no walking to any places for you guys from there. And from what I remember about Dorchester, you wouldn’t want to be doing a lot of walking at night anyway, although there are some really divey places there. Guess you’ll just be sleeping there and being out all other times. Too bad you couldn’t have found an affordable place in the city…

• djloo27 said, on June 30, 2016 at 11:32 pm

Well, it’ll be a good warm-up for their pleasant strolls through the South Bronx…