A Place To Talk About Giants Baseball

Keystone Giants

Posted in Uncategorized by Flavor on June 30, 2016

Maybe it’s time to peek in on Marco Scutaro and see how he’s moving around. We need infielders!

Last night’s game isn’t going to go away for a while. As James said, he’s going to remember that game 10 years from now and just like the Brenly game, I think he’s absolutely right. I’m not sure which Giant was worse. Mac Williamson literally goosed a ball over the fence for an HR for the A’s. Tejada dropped a ball that little league infielders catch. And Pagan was playing like he was asleep out there. What was that all about?

As the A’s march towards this absurd sweep, tonight we get to watch Bumgarner hit in place of a DH. That’s will be fun to watch. Until he’s no longer in the game and we have to send a reliever up there to hit. Whatever, Boch will just use a PH like he normally would. I doubt we see a pitcher hit for us tonight (besides Bum).

1. Lurker John said, on June 30, 2016 at 7:27 am

That’s as bad a defensive game as I can remember the Giants having. I’m still trying to figure out why Tejada was signed in the first place. Just put Gillaspie in there and call it good. How much of an upgrade is Tejada going to be against lefties anyway.

2. gianthead said, on June 30, 2016 at 7:34 am

I still blame that shit ass stadium…and still think that 2-2 Kontos pitch from Tuesday was far worse of a mistake…

3. willedav said, on June 30, 2016 at 7:44 am

Ah, let that one go. Lot of guys due back soon, Specs Duffy Romo and hopefully Panik too.
    Tejada is a middle IF back up scrub, just holding place til hurt guys (like Pena unfortunately) get well.
    Realistically, Pena is hitting .400, so an 0 for 20 is somewhere in the future.
    Yeah AK, useless Amy with the exciting news OOO is almost ready to go…not far enough away, but still.

And um, Viejo, if you are going to bring a glove to LF, pls use it to catch something.

4. unca_chuck said, on June 30, 2016 at 8:02 am

I didn’t see the game till the 2 run bomb and then Pagan acting like he was shagging flyballs without any concern in the world. Then he muffs the base hit? Kuip covers for him as he does, but shit, I’m surprised Peavy didn’t go back there and slap some sense into him. Granted, I missed the other 4 errors earlier in that inning but Jesus, what a fuckarow.

Oh, well. All we get to hope for is that Bummie doesn’t get Cained tonight.

• chipower9 said, on June 30, 2016 at 12:23 pm

Pagan’s was pedestrian compared to Mac’s tipping the ball over the fence, and the grandest of them all was Tejada’s muff of the most routine of pop-ups. Pagan looked like Willie Mays out there compared to Williamson and Tejada. PFFFTTT…

5. unca_chuck said, on June 30, 2016 at 8:06 am

And we get the fuck away from the team that always sucks the life out of us.

I blame the ghost of Al Davis . . .

6. sfsarge said, on June 30, 2016 at 8:36 am

Oakland is like Kathmandu west.

7. zumiee said, on June 30, 2016 at 9:32 am

Kershaw to the DL.

Puig’s going to play on his sore knee today.

Pederson has to sit out with a sore shoulder.

8. wilcojoe said, on June 30, 2016 at 9:40 am

If Bum homers tonight he will be a lock for the HR derby. You heard it here first.

9. unca_chuck said, on June 30, 2016 at 9:40 am

Bummie needs a win . . . He’s got 2 hard-luck losses under his belt his last 2 starts.

10. zumiee said, on June 30, 2016 at 9:42 am

A Dodger fan posted this gif:

• Flavor said, on June 30, 2016 at 9:44 am

what the hell are you trying to disclose to us Zummie? Shit I thought I knew you, dude…..

• zumiee said, on June 30, 2016 at 9:45 am

Dodger fan posted it after hearing the Kershaw news.

• zumiee said, on June 30, 2016 at 9:47 am

Kershaw had to get an epidural shot. Possible disc issue.

• Flavor said, on June 30, 2016 at 12:22 pm

I know. I was just kidding cause you said a Dodger fan posted this and it was you who posted it (here)

• zumiee said, on June 30, 2016 at 12:28 pm

Ah….got it! 🙂

11. Flavor said, on June 30, 2016 at 9:42 am

I enjoy watching Bum hit as much as any of you but he’s a career .182 hitter with a .530 OPS so let’s temper our expectations…..

• chipower9 said, on June 30, 2016 at 12:25 pm

Yep. This decision to hit Bum is a pure numbers/attrition thing. If this team were fully healthy, no way Bum hits in this game.

12. unca_chuck said, on June 30, 2016 at 9:43 am

i think Bochy is throwing Bummie a bone by saying he’ll let him hit tonight if he drops the idea of entering the HR derby.

Letting Bummie do that would be one of the dumbest decisions in the history of baseball.

13. wilcojoe said, on June 30, 2016 at 9:44 am

I know most here don’t want to see him in the derby. But all indications are that Bochy won’t object to it. His letting Bum bat tonight certianly doesn’t throw any water on that theory. All eyes will be on his AB’s tonight and if he goes yard, thats all everyone will be talking about.

• chipower9 said, on June 30, 2016 at 12:26 pm

See my 12:25 above. No way in hell Bum hits in the HR derby.

14. wilcojoe said, on June 30, 2016 at 9:48 am

I say all this because Kuiper was just on with Chris Russo. Kuiper was in Bochy’s office earlier this when Bum called him in and Boch asked Bum if he wanted to hit on Thursday. Bum said sure but I need to take BP first. Boch said “go hit”

I don’t think the whole derby/jinx thing (whatever our objections are) is as big a deal as we are making it out to be.

• wilcojoe said, on June 30, 2016 at 9:49 am

Meant to say injury/jinx

• wilcojoe said, on June 30, 2016 at 9:51 am

Geez did I butcher that. Earlier this week, Boch called Bum in…

• chipower9 said, on June 30, 2016 at 12:27 pm

Whose on first???

15. zumiee said, on June 30, 2016 at 9:58 am

“The Dodgers still haven’t announced a replacement starter for Friday, because there is a decent chance the replacement isn’t currently in the organization.
    Ken Rosenthal of Fox Sports reported Thursday the Dodgers were heavily interested in Rays pitcher Erasmo Ramirez, who has pitched mostly in relief for Tampa Bay in 2016, with just one start in his 32 appearances. But he made 27 starts for the Rays in 2015.
    Ramirez pitched an inning in relief on Wednesday night, but before that hadn’t pitched since Saturday.
    The only logical in-house choices for Friday are either Carlos Frias on short rest after five innings and 67 pitches on Monday, or Jharel Cotton on regular rest. Frias has only pitched on short rest after more than two innings just once in his professional career. Last year he pitched six innings on Sept. 3, then four days later pitched two innings.”

16. unca_chuck said, on June 30, 2016 at 10:00 am

Well, I think the slim chance of Bummie getting hurt far outweighs whatever he gets from being in it.

It’s more like a complete novelty/carny act type thing.

“Oooooh! Look at the pitcher hit!”

17. Macdog said, on June 30, 2016 at 10:00 am

Wow, MadBum really is batting tonight. I’ve joked about doing this before, but to do it for real? Obviously there’s a ton on injuries, but what an indictment of the bench.

I’m not big on the whole “pride” thing in pro sports, but man, how much more do the Giants plan on getting embarrassed by the A’s? These games aren’t even competitive. Either MadBum puts a stop to the madness tonight, or even he won’t be able to stop the surge of a 4-game sweep that’s seen in the MLB and NBA playoffs. Although he may have to strike out 15 or so if they trot out Tejada again.

• chipower9 said, on June 30, 2016 at 12:29 pm

I do not think it is an indictment of the bench (when healthy), but an indication of how damned thin our bench is right now with all the injuries. No way in hell with a fully healthy team/bench that Bum hits tonight.

18. willedav said, on June 30, 2016 at 10:25 am

I think this is a one off slumpbuster fun thing Bochy is doing just to get a different vibe going.
    Bum is pretty serious about his ABs (and a lot of things) so bench should get a kick out of it.
    LU is pretty LH heavy with Span Belt Craw Gillaspie Blanco Parker off bench. Posey wants to C him I’m sure and Pagan can switch to RH.

• willedav said, on June 30, 2016 at 10:33 am

Also leaves an extra bat available for double switches if/when Bum has to come out which hopefully would be late game or not at all.

19. Lurker John said, on June 30, 2016 at 10:41 am

Damn, losing Opie could set the Dog-ears for a nice stretch of badness. Fingers crossed,

• blade3colorado said, on June 30, 2016 at 11:28 am

Screw crossing the fingers . . . Working on this as we speak!

• chipower9 said, on June 30, 2016 at 12:31 pm

Atta boy, Blade! Here at Flap Universe, we love that Voodoo that you do!

Put a mojo on those fucking bambinos!

• Lurker John said, on June 30, 2016 at 1:42 pm

Much better!

20. zumiee said, on June 30, 2016 at 10:47 am

In retrospect, the Kershaw injury explains why he didn’t have his great stuff on Sunday night. He wasn’t able to finish pitches off as per usual.

21. unca_chuck said, on June 30, 2016 at 11:31 am

22. dirtnrocksnomo said, on June 30, 2016 at 11:48 am

When Big Flavor predicted the sweep in the lead up to the series I didn’t even bothered watching. How’s it been going?

• zumiee said, on June 30, 2016 at 12:22 pm

• unca_chuck said, on June 30, 2016 at 12:26 pm

• chipower9 said, on June 30, 2016 at 12:32 pm

lulz…that about says it, Dirt (in answer to your “How’s it been going?”).

23. unca_chuck said, on June 30, 2016 at 12:34 pm

Hey Zumie, didn’t know you opened a store in Santa Barbara . . .

• zumiee said, on June 30, 2016 at 12:42 pm

I’m branching out. 🙂

24. zumiee said, on June 30, 2016 at 12:39 pm

No help from the Brewers today. Just a really bad team who amazingly gave us some help yesterday.

25. chipower9 said, on June 30, 2016 at 12:41 pm

I bailed last night in the 3rd or 4th. Poured a stiff cocktail and hit the hot tub. Fuck that shit…life is too short. Between Mac’s fuck-up and then Tejada…I had had enough.

But in the grand scheme of things (and Blade and I were discussing this on a call last night) I am in no way tripping on this series with the A’s. Hey, our boys got swept (four games) by the D-backs back in April. Then we won eight in a row (and 13 of 15) in May. Ripped off another five game win streak earlier in June, too. So, again, not tripping on this shit with the Fucking A’s.

Tonight marks the official mid-point of the season, our boys have the third best record in all of baseball, and that is with all of these damned injuries. So sit back and watch Bum swing his big stick tonight, and enjoy the ride.

I predict Bum is the stopper tonight and puts us back in the W column.

• zumiee said, on June 30, 2016 at 12:55 pm

Can’t blame you for going ‘early hot tub’ on last night’s game. That game was an epic fail.

• chipower9 said, on June 30, 2016 at 2:05 pm

One of the worst I can recall in a looonnnggg time, Zume. When I got up this morning and saw the final score, I knew I had made the right decision. Hell, I knew that in the 3rd inning last night! (grin)

26. zumiee said, on June 30, 2016 at 1:02 pm

Chris Russo on the MLB Network ripped Peavy today for losing his composure last night. Russo’s point is Peavy hasn’t earned the right to do that with the Giants given his amount of production for what he’s gotten paid by the Giants the last two years.
    It wouldn’t surprise me if Peavy spoke to the guys after the game and showed some contrition.

• zumiee said, on June 30, 2016 at 1:03 pm

Russo is a Giants fan.

• unca_chuck said, on June 30, 2016 at 1:39 pm

I’m sure he will, but I think any pitcher would be hard-pressed not to lose his shit by the time Pagan misplayed the base hit. By my count that was the 5th error in an inning .5 . . .

27. chipower9 said, on June 30, 2016 at 2:07 pm

Just flipped the page on my Giants calendar (give-away from Opening Day). Transitioned to Romo for July. I think it is an omen of good things to come for our Giants.

28. alleykat69 said, on June 30, 2016 at 2:56 pm

Dodgers pickup Lol Bud Norris & of course another Cuban from Atlanta for a couple pitching prospects the Braves have plenty of but know bats..
    Kershaws replacement for a few starts then will probably be cut..

29. zumiee said, on June 30, 2016 at 3:53 pm

Whatever happened to Mike Kickham, you ask? The 27 year-old is currently out of baseball. He has a major league career record of 0-3, with a 10.98 ERA.
    I don’t know if he got a World Series ring for the 2 innings he pitched for the Gisnts in 2014.

30. Flavor said, on June 30, 2016 at 3:59 pm

Bochy catching a lot of shit for not using DH. I don’t get it. This team needs a spark. Just having him hit will provide that. And if he gets a bit? A+ decision if you ask me.

31. Flavor said, on June 30, 2016 at 4:00 pm

I shoulda qualified that by saying Bochy is taking heat on twitter and knbr.

• zumiee said, on June 30, 2016 at 4:50 pm

Some of the MLB Network pundits don’t like it either.

• Flavor said, on June 30, 2016 at 5:01 pm

it’s really only a bad decision if Bum gets hurt somehow swinging. Cause he didn’t have to be out there. But I’ll take 3 at bats from him over anyone else the Giants want to trot out there for DH. I can’t understand for a moment the other perspective on this…….

• zumiee said, on June 30, 2016 at 5:07 pm

They were ragging on Bum’s batting average, .170 or whatever.

32. blade3colorado said, on June 30, 2016 at 4:10 pm

I was out most of the evening, so I didn’t catch the game last night. However, Grant Brisbee, with commentary, photos, and GIFs made up for it. lulz. As he said, “It took a village” to lose that game.

• Flavor said, on June 30, 2016 at 4:59 pm

this guy is one of the absolute best.

• zumiee said, on June 30, 2016 at 5:00 pm

Grant’s terrific, but he gives Williamson a big pass on last night, which I don’t agree with. I saw no evidence that Williamson was calling for the ball, and I rewound that several times last night. I don’t see how Grant could think Pena was at fault.

• Flavor said, on June 30, 2016 at 5:03 pm

I didn’t rewind it but I have to believe Mac is yelling for it. Of course, even if he was, there are like 37 people in the stands so I can’t believe noise was a factor. Who knows? Maybe he wasn’t calling for it

33. Flavor said, on June 30, 2016 at 4:39 pm

Here’s the best angle I can come up with for tonight: Since the A’s burned a first rd pick on Grant Green and then traded him away maybe he’s out for revenge upon them……

34. zumiee said, on June 30, 2016 at 5:04 pm

Kershaw has a mild herniated disc.

• zumiee said, on June 30, 2016 at 5:10 pm

No surgery required, but no for-sure time-table for his return.

35. Flavor said, on June 30, 2016 at 5:34 pm

Andrew Baggarly ‏@extrabaggs 7m7 minutes ago
    Bumgarner will not do All-Star HR Derby. Bochy said it was nixed at union’s lobbying.

36. Flavor said, on June 30, 2016 at 5:50 pm

The Cardinal had a pretty bad baseball team this year and I can honestly say this is the least I’ve followed college baseball since I was in junior high. I have casually been hearing about Coastal Carolina and am kinda shocked that they won it all. I haven’t checked their team at all, do they have any big prospects? Or are you guys in the same boat as me and have literally no idea where Coastal Carolina is on a map?

• sfsarge said, on June 30, 2016 at 6:20 pm

I think it’s somewhere between Rhode Island and Florida

• Macdog said, on June 30, 2016 at 6:43 pm

I just can’t believe there’s something that goes on longer than the NBA playoffs.

37. Flavor said, on June 30, 2016 at 6:35 pm

38. Flavor said, on June 30, 2016 at 6:36 pm

I haven’t researched this, only read the tweet, but for Bochy to use “union’s lobbying” as the excuse for why BUm isn’t going to participate in HR Derby seems like a huge pussy cop out to me. Why not just blame it on Brexit? lqtm…….

39. Flavor said, on June 30, 2016 at 6:46 pm

Grant Green is starting for us tonight and it’s not Spring Training. He’s gotta be thinking to himself, “shit, like an infinite number of impossible things had to happen for this to happen…”

• Carstie Clausen said, on June 30, 2016 at 7:08 pm

For those outta the loop on Grant Green like i pretty much was, here’s some current stats from the Cats: In 238 ABs green has socred 34 nuns on 70 hits including a dozen doubles, a pair of triples and 6 dingers, driving in 33 in the process. He has walked ten times to 36 strikeouts, amassing a tolerable .321 OBP, a fair .437 SP, a .294 BA and a .758 OPS.

Originally an A’s product, he had a brief career with them in 2013 and then shuffled to the Angels over the past couple years. Overall his MLB BA is .249, with a .283 OBP, a .335 SP and an OPS of a struggling .618. Discovered nothing about his work in the field.

• Flavor said, on June 30, 2016 at 7:14 pm

thanks. He’s not a major leaguer. He should thank God for the mlb $$$ he gets this week.

40. Paul Sorensen said, on June 30, 2016 at 6:50 pm

I don’t know, I think this Bay Bridge series lulled the whole team into thinking it was still Spring Training… oops.

41. Flavor said, on June 30, 2016 at 7:13 pm

Kuip is absolutely losing it. That’s like the 5th HR call he went into in the last week where the ball didn’t come close to going out

42. Macdog said, on June 30, 2016 at 7:13 pm

Belt gets o.co’d.

43. Carstie Clausen said, on June 30, 2016 at 7:19 pm

Three fly-outs to center sandwiched around a walk. How often do you see that combo as an opening set?

44. blade3colorado said, on June 30, 2016 at 7:20 pm

Well, that was quick.

45. Macdog said, on June 30, 2016 at 7:21 pm

And so it goes….

46. zumiee said, on June 30, 2016 at 7:22 pm

Anytime the Giants pitchers would like to stop serving up HRs would be great.

47. Lurker John said, on June 30, 2016 at 7:23 pm

Tejada is out there again?! WTF

• Carstie Clausen said, on June 30, 2016 at 7:33 pm

How bout Williamson. Mucho atonement is due from that dude tonight. Elsewise a quick bus ride to Sacramento or a plane ticket to wherever the Cats are currently playing would definitely be in order.

• Lurker John said, on June 30, 2016 at 7:38 pm

Yeah, both, I just noticed Tejada first.

48. chipower9 said, on June 30, 2016 at 7:36 pm

How about Williamson? My question is why the fuck is he in the line-up again. Even his horrible night last night withstanding, I have no desire to see him in there regularly. I say play Parker almost every day until he proves he cannot do it. Parker is a much better OFer and he has pop, too.

Plus, you have Loo’s comment from last night that carries the most weight for me, when Loo said he looks like a kid who is about t0 get his ass kicked.

49. bassbaldy said, on June 30, 2016 at 7:38 pm

Geez … I sure wish we could hit home runs … I like ’em … They help sometimes. Oh yeah, I forgot that our park is too hard to hit ‘me in … Except, for our opponents who seem to hit them with regularity and ease .. Just like taking a dump … On us.

50. James said, on June 30, 2016 at 7:39 pm

Grant Green!! WillieD? Lisle?

• willedav said, on June 30, 2016 at 8:08 pm

probably have half a dozen of those blue note CDs, with Joe Henderson McCoy Tyner, Bobby Hutch and a nice double one with pianist Sonny Clark who left planet way too soon.

51. James said, on June 30, 2016 at 7:43 pm

Practice makes perfect for Tejada.

• zumiee said, on June 30, 2016 at 7:44 pm

I love his basket catches. NOT.

52. blade3colorado said, on June 30, 2016 at 7:48 pm

Speaking of smiles, I rarely see Bum smiling. I think that was a smile on him at 2nd.

53. Macdog said, on June 30, 2016 at 7:48 pm

That’s awesome — now get him in!

54. djloo27 said, on June 30, 2016 at 7:51 pm

Errors are contagious…

55. blade3colorado said, on June 30, 2016 at 7:53 pm

Bochy is going to blow an artery with all these Bum slides, sans the run he just scored. Better bubble wrap him in the dugout.

56. Lurker John said, on June 30, 2016 at 7:54 pm

Pagan scores easy if that stays in the park.

57. djloo27 said, on June 30, 2016 at 7:54 pm

STPOOT!!!

58. James said, on June 30, 2016 at 7:54 pm

The world is right again.

• blade3colorado said, on June 30, 2016 at 7:55 pm

Yep. A definite yuk yuk yuk forming here.

59. zumiee said, on June 30, 2016 at 7:54 pm

60. Lurker John said, on June 30, 2016 at 7:54 pm

IT”S ABOUT TIME!

61. Macdog said, on June 30, 2016 at 7:55 pm

Bring ’em all in! Fuck yeah!

62. djloo27 said, on June 30, 2016 at 7:55 pm

Feels like a GIANT enema…

63. Lurker John said, on June 30, 2016 at 7:55 pm

Now we’re cookin’ baby.

64. Macdog said, on June 30, 2016 at 7:56 pm

Back-to-freakin’-back!

65. Flavor said, on June 30, 2016 at 7:56 pm

for all the people across the world wetting themselves about this Bumgarner-hitting thing:
    FUCK YOU!!!!!!!! Ha, this ALLLLLLLL got started with the Bum double. It’s like he woke up the entire franchise…….

• Carstie Clausen said, on June 30, 2016 at 8:14 pm

All hail the offensive sparkplug of this team. Once again Bumgarner shames the position players into matching his efforts at the plate. There was also the matter of injured pride and the compression factor of pent up excellence having faced the humiliation of those 3 consecutive losses to the Oaks.

• pawliekokonuts said, on June 30, 2016 at 8:20 pm

righto

66. Macdog said, on June 30, 2016 at 7:59 pm

Over(thefence)ton.

67. Lurker John said, on June 30, 2016 at 8:03 pm

A 6-spot works.

68. pawliekokonuts said, on June 30, 2016 at 8:08 pm

Bum just took charge. I thought they were saying Graham Greene. I used to tell myself to read one Greene novel a year. It’s not a bad goal at all. Go, Giants! Go, Green!

• djloo27 said, on June 30, 2016 at 8:11 pm

Honey grahams are one of my favorite snacks.
      Sometimes I put peanut butter on them…

• Lurker John said, on June 30, 2016 at 8:12 pm

Cinnamon honey grahams, ftw.

• Macdog said, on June 30, 2016 at 8:13 pm

The Power and the Glory.

69. Lurker John said, on June 30, 2016 at 8:11 pm

What is it about Tejada that compels Bochy to play him, at all? He sucks.

• djloo27 said, on June 30, 2016 at 8:15 pm

And out of position, no less…

70. unca_chuck said, on June 30, 2016 at 8:14 pm

Are the folks complaining about Bummie hitting tonight, in a fucking game that counts, the same ones who want him to participate in the meaningless home run derby? Buncha fucking Bozos. Not you John…

71. James said, on June 30, 2016 at 8:15 pm

I’m still waiting for someone to glide into second base and point their index finger downwards.

• Flavor said, on June 30, 2016 at 8:31 pm

that is absolute solid gold, lol!!!!!!!!!!!!

• Flavor said, on June 30, 2016 at 8:32 pm

in fact, that’s going into POTD- best of. Shortest one ever I bet

• Flavor said, on June 30, 2016 at 8:38 pm

and one of the few to bypass POTD straight to POTD-best of…..

72. Macdog said, on June 30, 2016 at 8:16 pm

Keep on stompin’.

• Lurker John said, on June 30, 2016 at 8:17 pm

Yes. I don’t know what Kuip is talking about taking their foot off the pedal. Fuck that, hang 20 on ’em.

73. willedav said, on June 30, 2016 at 8:17 pm

Melvin sure waited long enough. Other than the bloop Crisp couldn’t come up with, everything else was smoked. Slumpbuster working so far.

74. djloo27 said, on June 30, 2016 at 8:19 pm

Is Triggs real name Trigonometry?

• Macdog said, on June 30, 2016 at 8:27 pm

Watching on the phone, I couldn’t tell if it was Triggs or (Wild Thing) Troggs.

• djloo27 said, on June 30, 2016 at 8:32 pm

Love Is All Around was their best song…

• zumiee said, on June 30, 2016 at 8:36 pm

R.E.M. did a real nice cover of that song on an MTV acoustic “Unplugged” show.

• James said, on June 30, 2016 at 9:17 pm

“With a Girl Like You” is better.

75. Carstie Clausen said, on June 30, 2016 at 8:19 pm

Into tonight’s game Belt was tied with a handful of others at 24 doubles for the league lead. He now has 25. Crawford just jumped into a tie with CarGo for 11th in the NL RBI race with 51 ribeyes.

• djloo27 said, on June 30, 2016 at 8:23 pm

I would bet no SF Giant ever drove in 100 with less than 20 HRS.
      J.T. Snow came close…