Bum’s Bat

Posted in Uncategorized by Flavor on July 1, 2016

With one swing from a mighty man, a series worth of frustration was washed away. What if Burns catches that ball? Eh, never mind. Let’s just revel in the glory of a win against a very average team.

Now we travel to Arizona for a match with the dude who’s first name is a girl. With the best VMI on the board this evening I expect us to smack him around.

I’m beginning my Summer foray to Sun Valley today so I will be around and will change the threads but it might be a little sporadic till I get there. With the El Dorado poker room in between here and there, it could be a while……

1. zumiee said, on July 1, 2016 at 9:17 pm

Tejada should watch Green hit; he could learn something. Shorten that big swing. I totally disagree with Krukow, Tejada should not be thinking about HRs at all. That was a mistake that should have been fixed earlier in his career.

2. Lurker John said, on July 1, 2016 at 9:20 pm

I don’t know why I thought Tejada was like 40, but he’s only 26. To hear Kruk tell it, he’s the second coming of Nomar Garciaparra, but the most HR’s he hit in a season was 5.

• blade3colorado said, on July 1, 2016 at 9:25 pm

You’re thinking of the other Tejada. The steroid one.

3. zumiee said, on July 1, 2016 at 9:22 pm

Casilla coming in.

4. blade3colorado said, on July 1, 2016 at 9:24 pm

Castillo is having a career year. Good catcher.

5. alleykat69 said, on July 1, 2016 at 9:25 pm

Only Casilla can make most Flappers soil their underwear when he comes in!!

• Lurker John said, on July 1, 2016 at 9:27 pm

Well said.

6. djloo27 said, on July 1, 2016 at 9:26 pm

Would it have killed them to let Gearrin at least start the fuckin’ inning?

7. djloo27 said, on July 1, 2016 at 9:28 pm

D-FENSE!!!

8. blade3colorado said, on July 1, 2016 at 9:28 pm

Wow! Nice DP!

9. zumiee said, on July 1, 2016 at 9:28 pm

Sweet doubleplay!

10. gianthead said, on July 1, 2016 at 9:28 pm

Casilla was starting to piss me off…but what a DP….one more out….

11. Lurker John said, on July 1, 2016 at 9:29 pm

Now THAT’S a big league DP!

12. Lurker John said, on July 1, 2016 at 9:30 pm

WTF Casilla!

13. blade3colorado said, on July 1, 2016 at 9:30 pm

No worries. A walk is ok . . .

14. Lurker John said, on July 1, 2016 at 9:31 pm

That double play might be the best example of why Posey should stay behind the plate. Great play by Belt and Crawford.

• djloo27 said, on July 1, 2016 at 9:37 pm

Excellent point…

15. unca_chuck said, on July 1, 2016 at 9:33 pm

Wow. Hell of a curve ball.

Hooooooooooooooooooo.

16. blade3colorado said, on July 1, 2016 at 9:33 pm

Great game. Come from behind and held on for the victory.

• zumiee said, on July 1, 2016 at 9:34 pm

• djloo27 said, on July 1, 2016 at 9:36 pm

Very reassuring…

17. Lurker John said, on July 1, 2016 at 9:33 pm

Great win!

18. bassbaldy said, on July 1, 2016 at 9:35 pm

Hate is a strong word, especially when directed at one of our own but im very close to applying thst sentiment to Ca-seeya-later

19. alleykat69 said, on July 1, 2016 at 9:35 pm

Fucking A,,
    Chumpcilla gets it done!!
    Brandon Belt saved their bacon with that sweet DP!

20. Bozo said, on July 1, 2016 at 9:35 pm

Scrubs getting it done.

21. bassbaldy said, on July 1, 2016 at 9:36 pm

Nice victory for the Rivercat bunch!

22. unca_chuck said, on July 1, 2016 at 9:39 pm

Did we win tonight?

• djloo27 said, on July 1, 2016 at 9:47 pm

23. Lurker John said, on July 1, 2016 at 9:42 pm

I just watched the Parker homer again and Kruk was right, hitting a ball that far the other way is not easy to do. That thing was 15-20 rows back in the bleachers. This kid has prodigious power. Here’s to him figuring it out and becoming a National League terror.

• blade3colorado said, on July 1, 2016 at 9:46 pm

Also agree with Kruk, that a hit (HR) like that puts a charge into the team. They were fired up after that bomb.

• Carstie Clausen said, on July 1, 2016 at 9:46 pm

Parker’s got what, 5 on the year now? His anointment as a regular should be happening soon. Williamson may help land a reliable bullpen arm. Some AL team might like his potential as a DH.

24. Carstie Clausen said, on July 1, 2016 at 9:44 pm

Belt likely saved Casilla’s ass as our closer. I was so ready to throw the switch. Romo does not appear to be fooling anybody in AAA. Casilla has become Wavy Gravy on the mound. Giants should consider making a trade for Pirates closer Mark Melancon ~ either that or go within the organization for Strickland, Gearrin or Richmond closer Tyler Rogers. Casilla may still be suitable for a setup role, but i fear what will happen when he faces a loaded lineup trying to hold a one-run lead in the bottom (or top) of the 9th.

• djloo27 said, on July 1, 2016 at 9:50 pm

I want Huston Street…

25. bassbaldy said, on July 1, 2016 at 9:52 pm

I gotta see the DP y’all are talking about, not up yet in video highlights .. in 90mins ill be able to watch the condensed game .. hell, I’ll probably watch the entire thing .. yesterday watched 2014 WS game 7 as a lucky charm prior to Bum’s start.

• Lurker John said, on July 1, 2016 at 9:59 pm

It was a sweet honey of a play, started and finished by Belt, with a Crawfish sandwich in the middle. Brandon Belt is a natural first baseman, big, strong, left-handed and with quick, soft hands for a big guy. Oh yeah, and he’s hitting too.

• alleykat69 said, on July 1, 2016 at 10:05 pm

Yeah not only a sweet DP LJ, Belt had the initial instinct to freeze the runner at 3rd at well really smart play..

• gianthead said, on July 1, 2016 at 10:06 pm

Really am incredible play by Belt…

26. blade3colorado said, on July 1, 2016 at 9:55 pm

Just me, but I think that Casilla still has the job going forward. He has twice as many SOs as Melancon and are you serious Loo? Street’s stats are pathetic this season. I’ve seen milk with better pass due dates.

• bassbaldy said, on July 1, 2016 at 9:59 pm

Im ready for just about anybody but Casilyuck .. guy is a joke as closer

27. Lurker John said, on July 1, 2016 at 10:01 pm

Casilla is a heart attack on a plate, but I think you’re right, blade, he’s the guy for now. Unless a big move is made, I’m not sure anyone else can do much better. I could be wrong, but that’s how I see it. Believe me, I was yelling at the screen tonight. He can be agonizing at times, but he is battle tested.

28. blade3colorado said, on July 1, 2016 at 10:04 pm

Casilla WHIP is better than last year, so I am down with him closing.

• Lurker John said, on July 1, 2016 at 10:08 pm

We all have to remember that B-Wheezy wasn’t exactly a walk in the park either and he was pretty good. He always seemed to be on the brink of collapse. LOL

• blade3colorado said, on July 1, 2016 at 10:10 pm

Yep. Ditto for Romo.

• alleykat69 said, on July 1, 2016 at 10:10 pm

Everytime I hear the word Whip Blade, I just think of the group Devo “Whip It Whip it good”

29. Lurker John said, on July 1, 2016 at 10:07 pm

Another gutsy start by Cueto and nice bullpen work. Gearrin was solid again and Casilla held up his end. He was dicey as hell, but he got it done. Now we need to get the Shark back on track.

30. gianthead said, on July 1, 2016 at 10:18 pm

I’m starting to lose confidence in Casilla…I did not think about them going after a closer. I figured they throw Strickland in there first and see the results. Chapman obviously is the most sought after but still don’t think we have the top tier prospects others have…

• Lurker John said, on July 1, 2016 at 10:24 pm

Strickland’s lack of a consistent second pitch makes him iffy, imo.

31. snarkk said, on July 1, 2016 at 10:22 pm

Gillaspie with three hits, the guy is hot. So, I don’t want to see Tejada tomorrow, regardless of whether a lefty or righty is throwing for the Dbacks tomorrow. BTW, Gillaspie is one of the slowest runners I have ever seen. Bengieliena might have been faster. Sheezus, he runs like he’s in the loose ball bin in McDonalds…

32. zumiee said, on July 1, 2016 at 10:24 pm

Schulman says Cueto was sick before the game.
    Kuiper picked up on that early. Said Cueto didn’t look comfortable.

33. bassbaldy said, on July 1, 2016 at 10:24 pm

I distinctly recall the torture that Brian put us through but I can’t remember if he actually fucked off as many games as Casillia has this year … it seems this guy has single handedly lost a lot of very winnable games for us so far but maybe it just seems that way … my game log is rife with “WTF Casillia” entries.

34. snarkk said, on July 1, 2016 at 10:25 pm

Casilla looked ready to implode again, and Belt saved his bacon with that fantastic DP. My bro love for Belt these past years is paying off this season — the guy is one of the best all around 1st sackers in MLB…

• zumiee said, on July 1, 2016 at 10:29 pm

I would assume he’s a lock for the All-Star game. He’s having a better year than Adrian Gonzalez and a bunch of other guys. Probably Rizzo, Goldy, and Belt go.

• djloo27 said, on July 1, 2016 at 10:31 pm

Plus Bum, Cueto, Posey and Crawford?

• zumiee said, on July 1, 2016 at 10:34 pm

Freeman could be a problem. Who else can they take from the Braves?

• zumiee said, on July 1, 2016 at 10:37 pm

Loo, I would think those 4 you mentioned are going. Crawford would easily be in except Russell’s getting voted in, and he shouldn’t be going at all. So I have concerns about Crawford getting shafted.

• bassbaldy said, on July 1, 2016 at 10:31 pm

Just saw the DP video highlight … WOW!

I loved how that while the entire play unfolded Belt never took his eyes off of the runner at 3rd other than for brief moment to make the throw to Craw .. Then while taking the return throw from Craw he was still watching 3rd!!! Amazing!!!

• zumiee said, on July 1, 2016 at 10:40 pm

Yeah, his muscle-memory kicked into gear, because he didn’t need to worry about that guy on third. But he got the doubleplay.

• Lurker John said, on July 1, 2016 at 10:37 pm

Absolutely snarkk.

• alleykat69 said, on July 1, 2016 at 10:39 pm

With you on Belt Snarkk.
      The dudes the slick-is 1B in the game. He works counts better then most,which I’m sure frustrates pitchers to no end, and for the 1st time in his career were actually gonna see real solid numbers if he stays healthy ( crossing my fingers)and they will need that big time especially with Pence out.

• Lurker John said, on July 1, 2016 at 10:41 pm

I will happily eat crow for the negative things I said about him in previous seasons. He is what you say he is, one of the best. He’s worked hard and it’s paying off.

• zumiee said, on July 1, 2016 at 10:44 pm

I’m not sure you need to eat crow. Belt got better as a player. Now we need to see a full season from him.

• zumiee said, on July 1, 2016 at 10:46 pm

I think there was substance in some of the criticisms of Belt in the past.

• bassbaldy said, on July 1, 2016 at 10:53 pm

Myself, I’ve eaten a lot of crow LJ … It ain’t so bad … I’m actually developing a taste for it … As long as we win I’ll murder and eat several murders of crows!

35. snarkk said, on July 1, 2016 at 10:56 pm

Belt has grown into the gig. He’s a respected vet on the team. He’s got the stability of a big contract. Management isn’t dogging him in public any more, nor are the guys in the announcing booth. I think he’s finally got confidence in his game to be comfortable in his own size 15s, so he can let his natural talent take over. His main deficiencies are taking too many close third strikes, and his piss poor base running way too often. Both he can work on and improve…

36. zumiee said, on July 1, 2016 at 10:57 pm

The Dodgers really missed Kershaw tonight. On the night he was supposed to pitch, all they got was a three-hit shut-out.

• snarkk said, on July 1, 2016 at 10:58 pm

That’s the beauty of baseball…

• zumiee said, on July 1, 2016 at 11:01 pm

Yeah, that’s true!
        A slight thing to note was that Norris only went 6 innings, even in a shut-out game. The Dodgers don’t really currently have a starter that goes past 6 innings. You’d think that will add up on a bullpen.

• snarkk said, on July 1, 2016 at 11:16 pm

Look at Grant Green. The dude comes up outta nowhere from Sacto, and gets 2 knocks each in the first two nights he plays. Big RBI hit tonite…

• zumiee said, on July 1, 2016 at 11:22 pm

The Pirates beat the A’s tonight, 7-3. That’s kind of funny.

• snarkk said, on July 1, 2016 at 11:24 pm

A’s really are dogmeat, they just happen to usually beat up on the Giants. They’ll be big sellers at the deadline again. Question there is whether Sonny Gray will get traded. I’m thinking yes. Could that team in LA trade for him — I’m thinking a very possible maybe. He’s had a roller coaster season, but Beane may want to get rid of him before he gets worse, and the trade is still based on his potential shown in past years…

• zumiee said, on July 1, 2016 at 11:27 pm

He was the losing pitcher tonight, and has been struggling. He doesn’t worry me as much as he might have.

• bassbaldy said, on July 1, 2016 at 11:27 pm

Yeah, who would have thunk it? Haven’t we’ve been told that there ain’t much happening down in Sactown? Then, along comes Pena looking like the heir apparent to Scutaro .. he goes down with injury, up comes Green who looks more than just fine, Pie catches fire, Parker is raking … Whoooeeee! Good times fellas, good times!

• zumiee said, on July 1, 2016 at 11:32 pm

It doesn’t really make sense. As Snarkk said, that is the beauty of baseball. Hopefully those fill-in guys continue to be productive.

• zumiee said, on July 1, 2016 at 11:33 pm

Hopefully Parker can keep building on positive steps.

37. Lurker John said, on July 1, 2016 at 11:02 pm

I’m with ya baldy, with fava beans and a nice chanti… LOL

38. zumiee said, on July 1, 2016 at 11:08 pm

Really bad idea:
    “Machu Picchu: Man Dies at Incan Landmark After Falling Off Cliff While Posing for Photo, Officials Say.
    Oliver Paps, 51, entered a restricted area of the Peruvian ruins and asked another visitor to take his photo while he leapt in the air. He fell 650 feet to his death, officials said.”

• blade3colorado said, on July 2, 2016 at 5:56 am

Did the visitor get a good photo?

• zumiee said, on July 2, 2016 at 7:39 am

Let’s hope so!

39. zumiee said, on July 1, 2016 at 11:26 pm

Ah, the Blue Jays were wearing red today in honor of the Canadian Olympic team, whose team color is red.

40. zumiee said, on July 1, 2016 at 11:40 pm

The Cubs lost, so the Giants and Cubs are tied for most wins in the NL with 51.
    The Rangers lead the majors with 52.

41. willedav said, on July 2, 2016 at 7:37 am

I think the second hit past Belt Casilla gave up would have been at least one out on normal IF, which AZ is not.
    It’s fast and very difficult; entire Giants announcing team has been complaining about it for years and players are well aware of it..
    So after that Casilla got another ground ball which Belt and Craw turned into a DP, a harmless walk and a K.

But he really only gave up one solid hit, the very first one. He still has killer breaking ball and got the hard one up to 96 last night. Stressful to watch? Sure. Notice that lately both Posey and Brown (I’m sure on Posey’s advice since reported he gets a lot of that) have gone out to talk to him about hitters.

I’d be against paying $$$$ for a closer. Another LH set up guy would be paramount. I’m sure Evans (and all mgmt.) hoping one of the kids—Gearrin Osich Law Strick—serve notice they are reliable late inning set up guys that can come in with RISP and safely put fires out, instead of making them worse. To me these are more important and valuable than a closer. We’ll see

• blade3colorado said, on July 2, 2016 at 8:17 am

As I said previously, there is no reason to get rid of Casilla as closer. He hasn’t blown a save since June 1st. In the realm of things to be concerned about, Casilla is at or near the end of that list.