A Place To Talk About Giants Baseball

Sucking Shit

Posted in Uncategorized by Flavor on July 6, 2016

Another benefit to being in Sun Valley in a log cabin next to a river: no cell service, limited internet and no tv. So I wasn’t able to watch that bullshit from last night or receive any angry texts. The box score looks grim. And I’m going to post this now in case I lose my internet again.

1. wilcojoe said, on July 6, 2016 at 7:36 am

A fun little hypothetical for everyone. Would you trade the current Giants 25 man roster for the Rockies current 25 man roster? Keep in mind that you would still get Pence, Panik and Duffy once they come off the DL. Of course your losing Bum, Posey, Belt, Crawford and a few others that have been an integral part of our 3 in 5. However in return you get some exciting young offensive studs, albeit ones that would obviously succumb to home park differential but you also get some nice young arms that would thrive outside of Denver.

Most importantly (at least to me) you get to keep the current Giants coaching staff as well. If you say yes, would you still do it if you didn’t get to keep the current guys on our DL? You would get whoever the Rockies have on theirs (which I haven’t checked to see who they would be).

• Flavor said, on July 6, 2016 at 7:50 am

no i wouldn’t do that.

• willedav said, on July 6, 2016 at 7:58 am

Mmm, the Rox have a nice team; Giants have a lot of missing parts right now. It’s just so hard to figure how they would do over 162 at sea level. Their hitters have gaudy numbers I doubt could be duplicated anywhere else. Other than Cargo, OF seems suspect.
      Arenado obviously is a beast, and LeMahieu looks like good hitter too—Giants have big edge at SS 1b and C.

Chatwood is tough, but can’t compete with Giants top 2 AS. Motte got run out of STL and Ottavino used to be on A’s I think. The way SF pen is going obviously plenty of room for improvement.
      Interesting ? though I think Giants have way more overall talent and winning experience.

• blade3colorado said, on July 6, 2016 at 8:28 am

No. Fricking. Way.

Check all of their home/away splits and that’s essentially the primary reason I wouldn’t touch any of these guys with a 10 foot pole, with the possible exception of Arenado (his splits are horrible too, but I think playing at sea level full time would right the ship), Gray, and Chapman.

• chipower9 said, on July 6, 2016 at 8:41 am

Not no, but FUCK NO!

I am sure James will chime in on this. To me, our current Giant team (and the ones who won 3 in 5), had something few other teams have to the degree that this team has: chemistry.

There I said it. Yes, it is not measurable, but I feel it is a big part of this team.

So, again, no fucking way I swap rosters with the Box of Rox.

• Macdog said, on July 6, 2016 at 9:15 am

They can’t beat the Dodgers, so . . . no. Ok, maybe the bullpens.

• Bozo said, on July 6, 2016 at 12:44 pm

No, I don’t like purple.

• Lurker John said, on July 6, 2016 at 1:44 pm

That’s enough for me right there.

2. willedav said, on July 6, 2016 at 7:47 am

Unfortunate and yes ugly to watch. Kontos put runners on right away, and tho Lopez did his job, Gearrin and then Strick were awful. These 2 emptied the stands by 8th after 6 shutout innings from Bum.
    Telling to me that Blackmon turned on a Strick fastball and lined it into RF for a rbi single—he just cannot locate it properly and when left up ml hitters can handle it, regardless how hard he throws. Lack of secondary pitch is killing him, no news there. Walking in runs, just unacceptable.
    I’d said before I thought Law might be more ascendant as late inning guy…we’ll see. Hard to know who Bochy can trust out there as set up guys.

Kimbrel turned a 3-2 game in 8th into a blowout last night in Boston, allowing 3 hits HR and walk while retiring none of 4 hitters he faced vs. Texas. Even the highly paid guys will blow games.

And speaking of blowing games, Lincecum got hammered again yesterday, by Tampa of all teams. Despite given 4 runs to work with in 2nd inning he couldn’t finish 5th, having given up 10 hits 5 earned. ERA now sits at 7.50.

3. Flavor said, on July 6, 2016 at 8:05 am

and WillieD brought up the big point: who knows what those guys would do at sea level? The flip side is that their bodies wouldn’t have to go through the stress of the back and forth all season long between sea level and Sherpaville. Still, I’d take this team. I still strongly believe in the Giants this year and look forward to the deadline deals that you know Sabes will pull off….

4. wilcojoe said, on July 6, 2016 at 8:06 am

Prior to this year, I have always felt that the Giants were a “the whole is greater than the sum of its parts” type of team. I kind of felt that to some extent, regardless of who put on that Giants uni, they were bound to become successful. Having seen how well they have played, even with a lineup that Chi so aptly titles “the San Francisco RiverCats”, it leads me to believe that there is some truth to that belief. That is main reason I came up with the question I asked above.

5. wilcojoe said, on July 6, 2016 at 8:09 am

I also can’t give enough credit to the Giants coaching staff. To me that is the only way I give this trade proposal any thought. They would have to remain intact. Front office too for that matter.

6. unca_chuck said, on July 6, 2016 at 8:26 am

Yeah, like I siad in the last post, being down our arguably best hitter and 3 other position players (our 4th 2nd bagger fer God’s sake) and being 20 games over .500 is pretty impressive. Esp with the bullpen woes. 17 blown save oppos? We could easily be 5-6 more games in front.

7. unca_chuck said, on July 6, 2016 at 8:28 am

I thought for a brief moment that Bummie hurt himself batting in the 6th. Didn’t hear otherwise from the crack medical staff, but we all know how that goes . . . It seemed odd to pull him in the 6th.

8. willedav said, on July 6, 2016 at 8:30 am

Went back and read through last night’s posts. Loo’s 9:32 “I just painted my bathroom btw Gearrin’s pitches.”
    I’ve said this for a while, blows me away how long it takes him to go through his routine, every single pitch. Even when he’s good he’s just unwatchable.

Wilco makes good point too about SF coaching staff but ultimately player either makes it or not. They are the ones with bat or ball in their hands
    Rags and Co could not fix Lincecum, and early returns after surgery aren’t good. Gotta wonder if some of the pen guys just have to develop better command ( or arm slot, lol) and be stronger mentally on their own.

• chipower9 said, on July 6, 2016 at 8:52 am

I think most of what ails the pen now is mental. These guys have gotten it done before, they just need to get their head right, make the right pitch, and I think all will be good. In the article I shared below, it makes it sound like Bochy may call a meeting. I don’t think it is “turn over the post-game grub table,” but probably time for the pitching coaches and bullpen to have a meeting.

9. chipower9 said, on July 6, 2016 at 8:48 am

Okay, so this article from CSNBA answers some of the questions (why Bum was pulled after six), and also points out that overall, Gearrin and Strick have been pretty good. They just have sucked ass in the last week or two. Anyway, give it a read and draw your own conclusions.

Hard to argue with the way Bochy has handled things. But I still think I would have asked Bum if he wanted to take the ball in the 7th, and if he answered in the affirmative, I would have trotted him out there.

I want to comment on some of the chatter at the end of the last thread re: Posey. Lisle – I think you have some good and insightful posts, but with your “finger pointing” at Posey, I think you are barking up the wrong tree. Just my opinion. Posey is far from what ails this team right now. Again, just my opinion. I agree with Zumiee’s comment: “Posey is consistent year to year, offensively and defensively. That’s what the Giants are paying him for. Consistency and leadership.” That is all I have to say on that topic.

Okay, our bullpen sucks fucking balls right now, but these guys have got ‘er done before…time to get ‘er done, again! Dust that shit off and go out there and kick some Sherpa ass tonight!

• zumiee said, on July 6, 2016 at 10:31 am

Cool article, thanks!
      It was frustrating to see Bum come out after six, but Bochy does play the “long game” well, as so proven with the Giants’ great success under his regime. He tries to take care of guys for the long haul of the season.

• chipower9 said, on July 6, 2016 at 1:14 pm

Yes, and IMO, you have to respect that.

10. gianthead said, on July 6, 2016 at 8:51 am

No way I trade teams. Those Rockies and their pitchers cant hold a candle to our starters. But we are seeing way too many bad pitches from these novice relievers at the worst moments.

As we have seen in 3X5 that pitching and defense wins championships…

11. Carstie Clausen said, on July 6, 2016 at 9:55 am

Can you even imagine how bummed out our starter must have been last night. I mean you go six shutout frames, throwing slightly upwards of 90 pitches and are maybe just a bit worn down. Bullies come in and George the Greek initiates the avalanche and only the veteran loogie Lopez temporarily stymies the shit.

Giants front office will be burning up those phones. There are a handful of proven, veteran, reliable relievers out there on not gonna make it teams. Competition may be a bit stiff. Giants may be able to sacrifice one of their rotation prospects from Augusta ~ where there are four or five doing quite well this season. Might also need to decide whether to keep both Mac and Park ~ or let go of a young catcher for which there were some really high hopes only recently.

Likely the front office will get it done. Will it be one guy or two who comes in later this month to starch and stiffen the pen?

12. Flavor said, on July 6, 2016 at 10:06 am

relievers are the easiest thing to trade for. With at least half the teams out of it by the break, and each team not named *the reds* having at least one decent reliever rotting away in the bullpen, there is always somebody to be had for a moderate sum.

• Lurker John said, on July 6, 2016 at 1:53 pm

Yes, but are effective relievers easy to trade for, especially when the trader knows you are close to desperate for quality BP arms.

13. chipower9 said, on July 6, 2016 at 10:20 am

I am confident that the Giants org will get shit sorted out appropriately, so I am not going to trip too much right now. My concern is that even tho the bums have their issues, they will not go away.

And I am not convinced that Kontos, Strick, and Gearrin cannot come around and be important pieces…I think they are just going through a spell, and part of it may be fatigue.

• bassbaldy said, on July 6, 2016 at 10:35 am

Fatigue could be a valid factor when one considers how much the pen was used early on because of the Peavy/Cain suckage factor. I wonder too if the fatigue is exacerbated by fact that teams within our division have faced all our pen guys a lot by now and have figured them out.

• snarkk said, on July 6, 2016 at 10:36 am

Gearrin was a scrap heap acquisition. He’s got no track record of getting it done consistently. His success so far is found coin. He may now be reverting to his talent level…

• Flavor said, on July 6, 2016 at 11:08 am

excellent point, Snarkk

• chipower9 said, on July 6, 2016 at 1:25 pm

I beg to differ if you look only at this year. Doing so:

March/April – 10 games, 0-0, 10.1 IP, 2.61 ERA, .871 WHIP
        May – 14 games, 1-0, 12.0 IP, 3.00 ERA, 1.25 WHIP
        June – 14 games, 2-0, 12.0 IP, 3.00 ERA, 1.00 WHIP
        July – 3 games, 0-1, 16.88 ERA, 2.25 WHIP.

So, until this month, he has been consistently good. In limited actin with us in 2015, he had a 4.91 ERA and a 0.545 WHIP (but small sample size of only 3.2 IP).

In 2012 with the Braves he was 0-1, with a 1.80 ERA and 1.100 WHIP in 22 games/20.0 IP.

So the kid (well, he is 30 years old) has proven he can pitch. Is his sucktitude of late fatigue? Lack of concentration and grooving a meatball on an 0-2 count? You got me, but I still think he can be a cog in this year’s bullpen.

14. unca_chuck said, on July 6, 2016 at 10:36 am

Right. This team may have 99 problems but Posey ain’t one of them.

15. zumiee said, on July 6, 2016 at 11:30 am

Dodgers/Orioles day-game will be on the MLB Network today.

16. wilcojoe said, on July 6, 2016 at 12:02 pm

I only make my hypothetical trade if we keep Bum in addition to Pence and Panik. I really like Chatwood and Gray who would flourish at sea level and give you many more productive years than Smarg and Cueto. You add one of the best third baseman in the game and the Outfield is upgraded significantly. Story has the potential to be a significant offensive upgrade over Crawford.

The pen can be improved thru trades, so that’s an easy fix. So really your only taking a loss at Catcher and first base. The upgrades more than make up for it at the other positions.

It would never happen of course but it is interesting to consider what the club would look like without Posey, Belt and Crawford.

• James said, on July 6, 2016 at 12:40 pm

Wilco has a form of KD fever!

• Flavor said, on July 6, 2016 at 1:54 pm

I’m just going year-to-year, it’s too hard for me to think passed that. I really like this team. Outside of the Cubs, I don’t think there’s another team I’d rather have (this year, and assuming a pen upgrade at the deadline). And you know what else? Besides the players we will be getting back I don’t think you can put a price tag on their post season experience, something that will probably hit the Cubs hard when it matters the most.

17. Bozo said, on July 6, 2016 at 12:45 pm

I guess one time through the league and Gearrin’s snarl isn’t fooling anyone any more.

• djloo27 said, on July 6, 2016 at 1:19 pm

I think he’s been over used…

• chipower9 said, on July 6, 2016 at 1:27 pm

Agree, Loo. I think it is more fatigue than other teams figuring him out.

• Bozo said, on July 6, 2016 at 1:55 pm

I’m telling you guys, the snarl used to scare people, but it doesn’t anymore. Maybe he needs to learn a secondary facial expression, I bet the Jack Nicholson “Here’s Johnny!” smile would work against lefties.

• Flavor said, on July 6, 2016 at 1:56 pm

i feel a couple of STRONG Zumiee gifs coming on later today to support this

18. Lurker John said, on July 6, 2016 at 1:37 pm

Rare mid-week day game at Chavez Latrine. 3-2 O’s in the 4th.

19. Lurker John said, on July 6, 2016 at 1:41 pm

I think Gearrin has the talent. No one throws pitches that move like his without it. Harnessing it is his bugaboo, at least right now.

• chipower9 said, on July 6, 2016 at 3:17 pm

Agree. I think he may be tired, and he may also lose his concentration at times (hence, grooving a fastball when he has a guy 0-2 with 2 out).

20. Flavor said, on July 6, 2016 at 1:47 pm

It’s possible that Gearrin is one of those “diamond in the rough–develop later in his career” type of relievers. That happens with relievers more often than any other position on the field. But it’s is also possible that we saw his peak and with no adjustment (and face it this league is all about adjustments) he will turn out to just be a flash in the pan guy. Maybe Raggs can get him to adjust to hitters adjusting to him. Maybe you guys are right and his arm is just tired. I am pessimistic that it’s only that but time will tell.

21. Macdog said, on July 6, 2016 at 2:18 pm

The All-Star Cubs lose again to the One-Star Reds.

22. Flavor said, on July 6, 2016 at 2:31 pm

Jeez, guess he shouldn’t have blown by his innings limit last year. Pitchers today are the biggest of pussies. They are all Freddy Sanchez…..

Anthony DiComo ‏@AnthonyDiComo 1m1 minute ago
    BREAKING: #Mets announce they’ve placed Matt Harvey on the disabled list due to right shoulder discomfort. He’s headed to STL for testing.

23. Carstie Clausen said, on July 6, 2016 at 2:50 pm

How’s this for Arenado? 22 doubles and ten home runs over 299 ABs. He’s scorede 37 runs on 80 hits and driven in 37 as well. Confused? You should be. I’m citing stats for Jonah Arenado, Nolan’s little brother who plays for San Jose in High A ball. Worst stat combo are 9 walks vs 67 strikeouts, leaving him with a .293 OBP vs a fair to not too bad .441 slugging percentage and a .268 BA. It adds to a slightly above mediocre .734 OPS.

Arenado is not yet a hot prospect, though his power numbers are developing.

• Flavor said, on July 6, 2016 at 3:09 pm

sure, as long as he doesn’t stall out at A ball. I don’t get excited about a hitter until they get out of the fastball-dominated A ball league and start producing against pitchers who throw bendy shit at them……

24. alleykat69 said, on July 6, 2016 at 2:56 pm

Pitchers are pussies for sure today!
    Fucking the Studs like Gibson,Marichal,Ryan,Seaver,Koufax,Drysdale,Perry, Jenkins,Clemens,Maddux etc etc etc just laugh at these new breed pitchers. with the exception of Bum& a few others..And fuck the pitch counts& contracts!! Man up !!

• Flavor said, on July 6, 2016 at 3:07 pm

it’s funny that his agent (Scott Borasssss) was right to worry last year. And everyone called Boras the pussy. I guess if Boras had said “look, Matt Harvey is a pussy like all the rest of today’s pitchers. He WILL break down if he passes his innings limit.” It’s quite possible that Boras wouldn’t have caught so much shit if he said it like that.

25. Flavor said, on July 6, 2016 at 3:18 pm

Sorry, but this is not a LU that matches their record. We need the *real guys* back….
    Giants tonight: Pagan CF, Green 2B, Belt 1B, Posey C, Crawford SS, Williamson RF, Tejada 3B, Parker LF, Cueto RHP

• zumiee said, on July 6, 2016 at 3:59 pm

Yep, the Giants have a .500 record in the last two weeks’ games.

26. Flavor said, on July 6, 2016 at 3:37 pm

I strongly doubt there’s much wrong with Span. I think he’s just getting a few days to clear his head and heal any bumps and bruises he has. Guessing he doesn’t hit the DL.

27. zumiee said, on July 6, 2016 at 3:55 pm

What a bunch of hackers the Orioles are. Everyone swinging from the heels, with little or no regard for situational-hitting. Like a cartoon stereotype of an AL team.

• Flavor said, on July 6, 2016 at 4:01 pm

3 teams who’s record I don’t really get: the orioles, the Indians and the Rangers. My guess is that Baltimore and the Indians fade, Texas adds on and keeps winning. I like the Texas hitters a lot. If they add a front line SP they could be trouble.

• zumiee said, on July 6, 2016 at 4:10 pm

Coincidentally, or maybe not, the Rangers seemed to really take off after “the punch.”

• Flavor said, on July 6, 2016 at 4:13 pm

getting Choo back helped a lot too.

28. Flavor said, on July 6, 2016 at 4:04 pm

I have no phone, no tv, and some spotty internet that for some reason has held up this afternoon. My daughter just left for CIT Camp. I’m sitting on my deck, alone, listening to the wind whistle through the trees as the river flows by. And I’m posting stuff at the Flap. lol. It doesn’t seem congruent but I am loving this moment. Peaceful and doing what I like to do. Think about shit, have some baseball musings and then tomorrow, head home…..

• unca_chuck said, on July 6, 2016 at 4:07 pm

Love it out there, Flav although it has been a while.

• Flavor said, on July 6, 2016 at 4:09 pm

this is my daughter’s grandparents vacation home on her mom’s side. They are very generous with this place seeing as how we essentially broke up a decade ago. I don’t realize how much I need to chill the fuck out till I get to this place and just sit out here alone watching shit flow past me……

• djloo27 said, on July 6, 2016 at 4:29 pm

Nothing beats watching shit flow past you…

• Flavor said, on July 6, 2016 at 4:35 pm

there’s a fine line between watching life and shit flow past you……

• djloo27 said, on July 6, 2016 at 4:39 pm

No phone, no pool, no pets…

• chipower9 said, on July 6, 2016 at 5:11 pm

Well, let’s get a win, and send you home with a happy drive. Safe travels tomorrow Flav.

29. unca_chuck said, on July 6, 2016 at 4:05 pm

Shit, no Gillaspe even . . .

At least I get to see Cueto . . . gonna be a cold one it looks like . . .

Off to Red’s

• Bozo said, on July 6, 2016 at 4:12 pm

If my buddy Rob is working the bar, tell him I said hi.

• Flavor said, on July 6, 2016 at 4:20 pm

Chuck, where are you? And why would The Clown know your bartender?

• zumiee said, on July 6, 2016 at 4:30 pm

Somewhere in SF. Chuck said he’s walking to the game from work.

• zumiee said, on July 6, 2016 at 4:31 pm

Bozo used to live in the area.

• Bozo said, on July 6, 2016 at 4:58 pm

Can’t believe y’all haven’t stopped into Reds on the way to the yard.

• zumiee said, on July 6, 2016 at 5:02 pm

Oh, I’ve walked past that place a lot. I just thought it was called the Java House. I forgot about the Red’s part.

• Flavor said, on July 6, 2016 at 5:04 pm

yes, walked by it many times, never walked in. I don’t drink coffee before games.

• Bozo said, on July 6, 2016 at 5:04 pm

No matter what they end up doing with that Pier, Red’s has to be included in the plans. After one of the super bowl wins Eddie D took the guys into Red’s before the parade. Back then they only had Bud and Anchor Steam (double cheese burger and a tall neck Bud was a lunch special), they started the bar out back after Pac Bell was built. The egg, sausage and cheese breakfast sammie was an awesome thing (so was Rob’s bloodys).

• chipower9 said, on July 6, 2016 at 5:13 pm

Well, he is definitely near the park if he is heading to Reds (and I assume he means Red’s Java House.

30. zumiee said, on July 6, 2016 at 4:19 pm

The Orioles have struck out 17 times in 11 innings, and most of their other outs are fly-outs and pop-ups. I just don’t think a team can succeed like that in this era of less steroids.

• Flavor said, on July 6, 2016 at 4:22 pm

34 strikeouts between the two of them. Wow, that is some serious bats missing balls action. And both teams have 5 bb’s. Weirdo symmetry.

31. blade3colorado said, on July 6, 2016 at 4:36 pm

When Colorado struck out 41 or 42 times against the Bums during their recent 3 game series, I was curious about whether that was a record. Not even close. Ironically, those “hitting from their heels” Orioles that Zum mentioned, struck out 52 times against the Astros in May – an MLB record for a 3 game series.

• zumiee said, on July 6, 2016 at 4:42 pm

I didn’t know that, but I can see why they set a record.
      It’s not good baseball, IMO, even though they hit a lot of HRs. If they make the playoffs, good pitching will shut them down.

32. zumiee said, on July 6, 2016 at 4:45 pm

Really, how much managing does Showalter even do? He can sleepwalk with this type of baseball.

33. zumiee said, on July 6, 2016 at 4:48 pm

Dodger Stadium has really cleared out. It’s a ghost town.

34. blade3colorado said, on July 6, 2016 at 4:55 pm

I just read this headline, “Dodgers ace Kershaw cleared to play catch.”

I wonder what they wrote about yesterday? Last week?

“Dodgers ace Kershaw gets out of bed.”

“Dodgers ace Kershaw walks to bathroom and has no issues.”

• gianthead said, on July 6, 2016 at 5:44 pm

Blade, that must have been a Bill Plaschke written headline…

• blade3colorado said, on July 6, 2016 at 5:51 pm

ESPN

35. Flavor said, on July 6, 2016 at 5:03 pm

Gearrin to DL. Excuse is shoulder issue. I think this is the beginning of the bullpen getting re-tooled for the rest of the season……

• zumiee said, on July 6, 2016 at 5:07 pm

Yeah, this could be a phantom injury. I don’t know if he has minor league options left.

36. zumiee said, on July 6, 2016 at 5:06 pm

Utley got his 6th hit. Orioles’ left fielder takes inefficient routes.

37. sandog said, on July 6, 2016 at 5:08 pm

Six hits so far for Utley today. Two of my friends are still at the game. Orioles tried to score a guy from first on a double hit near Puig. It didn’t work out, but I loved the aggressiveness. I wish R Kelly did more stuff like that.

38. sandog said, on July 6, 2016 at 5:09 pm

Orioles need to find a way to store. It’s only a matter of time before one of these Dodgers boppers hits a blast.

• zumiee said, on July 6, 2016 at 5:11 pm

A bloop hit; maybe the start of something.

39. sandog said, on July 6, 2016 at 5:11 pm

Zum, are you hip to the fact that today is Manny Machado’s birthday?

• zumiee said, on July 6, 2016 at 5:13 pm

A win on his birthday would be very cool.

• sandog said, on July 6, 2016 at 5:17 pm

I have only been watching since the 10th inning, and Vin has mentioned it three times already.

• zumiee said, on July 6, 2016 at 5:18 pm

I have the sound turned off. 🙂

• Flavor said, on July 6, 2016 at 5:22 pm

i miss tv. Don’t flaunt your fucking soundless tv at me and act like it’s some type of casual middle class hardship!!!!!!!! Good God, what is happening to me? Back to my river….

• zumiee said, on July 6, 2016 at 5:28 pm

I couldn’t take any more Vin Scully.

• Flavor said, on July 6, 2016 at 5:37 pm

he’s tough to listen to. People are afraid to say that because of his legacy and I don’t question what he has meant to the game. But he’s a doddering old man at this point. He has slipped substantially in the last few years……

• sfsarge said, on July 6, 2016 at 6:01 pm

I think that’s why I don’t understand the fuss about Scully. The first game of his that I can recall hearing was about 7 years ago. I wonder was he already well on his decline then?

• djloo27 said, on July 6, 2016 at 6:06 pm

Yes, Sarge. He was already saying things like “Fernando Venezuela”…

40. chipower9 said, on July 6, 2016 at 5:14 pm

With Gearing hitting the DL, Suarez is heading back…

• Flavor said, on July 6, 2016 at 5:21 pm

they’re gonna re-tool the BP. And I like the move. Act now so they don’t have to panic at the deadline. I bet we see a few new faces soon, probably a trade or two. This is the beginning. By Aug 1 we might have 3 new guys locked into the BP.

• djloo27 said, on July 6, 2016 at 5:25 pm

They have 3 guys now that I’d like to lock in the BP – so they can’t get out…

41. sandog said, on July 6, 2016 at 5:19 pm

For the record, I have been to Red’s many times. My kinda place. Doesn’t take beer as seriously as cancer research.
    O’s score 2!!!

• Flavor said, on July 6, 2016 at 5:24 pm

oh they have beers there? Why the fuck do they have “Java” in the name? Bad marketing

• Bozo said, on July 6, 2016 at 5:35 pm

They actually sell coffee beans there, or used to. I think there used to be two choices of beans. Not sure who roasted them.

• sandog said, on July 6, 2016 at 5:37 pm

Red’s goes back to the gritty embarcadero days where you actually had a lot laborers in the area and I think Red’s is where they got their morning coffee each day. Not fancy, craft coffee–workingman’s coffee, like Farmers Brothers or something like that.

• Bozo said, on July 6, 2016 at 5:45 pm

Yeah, and the lunch special was a double cheeseburger and a tall neck Bud for like three bucks. If you didn’t want the Bud they looked at you kinda strange. I remember eating the chili and burping it up a week later. That shit sat heavy, hell, it’s probably still in me.

• djloo27 said, on July 6, 2016 at 6:10 pm

Favorite early 70’s Manhattan lunch: Can of Schlitz and a hot pretzel at Schrafft’s (45 cents).
        No proof of age required.

• Bozo said, on July 6, 2016 at 6:30 pm

Gotta love that, Loo.

• Flavor said, on July 6, 2016 at 7:05 pm

burping up chili from 30 years ago and Loo buying lunch and beer for .45 cents. That is an EPIC exacta post!

• chipower9 said, on July 6, 2016 at 7:29 pm

Yes, they have memorabilia on the walls that talks about the place. It was a place where the laborers and longshoremen got their breakfast. Still a great no frills place to get some grub and grab a cold one or two prior to a game. Love the place. The Dive Bar next door is pretty cool, too.

42. zumiee said, on July 6, 2016 at 5:20 pm

Hey now!

43. zumiee said, on July 6, 2016 at 5:26 pm

Who in the world saves their closer for the 14th inning?
    lqtm.

44. sandog said, on July 6, 2016 at 5:31 pm

Attaboy. Eject his candy ass!

• djloo27 said, on July 6, 2016 at 5:31 pm

Poor Vin, last to know…

45. zumiee said, on July 6, 2016 at 5:37 pm

It took the Orioles a couple of pitches to Grandal to realize that Hatcher was the next hitter.

• sandog said, on July 6, 2016 at 5:39 pm

Genius Showalter asleep at the wheel???? At least they got it done. Nice win.

46. zumiee said, on July 6, 2016 at 5:38 pm

Dodgers lost!

47. gianthead said, on July 6, 2016 at 5:39 pm

Good win by the Orioles. This is why I luck interleague. It is cool to be watching the Orioles playing a Wed day game in Hella…Giants playing in Boston in a couple of weeks another reason…

48. snarkk said, on July 6, 2016 at 5:41 pm

I said yesterday or maybe day before, that they should bring Suarez back and exchange for somebody sucking in Pen; looks like Gearrin is the somebody. He has no options so he’s got phantom shoulder tendinitis or whatever until they figure the next move…

49. djloo27 said, on July 6, 2016 at 5:49 pm

When he wears sunglasses, Justin Turner looks like Philip Seymour Hoffman in “Boogie Nights”…

• sandog said, on July 6, 2016 at 6:14 pm

Nice call! A guy I work with is seriously bothered by the way Turner always leaves the top 3 buttons of his jersey unbuttoned. Gets all worked up about it. Cracks me up.

50. gianthead said, on July 6, 2016 at 5:50 pm

Cool Flav on your vaca…my in-laws have a place in the Adirondacks on a lake with the exact same vibe. No tv no radio and still no wireless. Incredibly peaceful, except for the in-laws:)

51. Carstie Clausen said, on July 6, 2016 at 6:36 pm

Just got in from maybe a half mile jaunt with my 22″ Huskvarna mower around some of the perimeters of Echo Ridge. Temp got into the 80’s today while i was top-dressing the pepper plantation with compost. Was kinda sticky and didn’t even want beer after a stop by my 47′ pitcher-pump well for a mug of cold water fresh from Big Mama. Opened the ca 1952 GE refrigerator and hauled out a bottle of Reeds ginger beer from Ja Maica. Non-alcoholic and about the most refreshing thing out there after a bunch of hot sun. Made it easier to go back outside and deal with the evening deer-flies (peak season for the critters we call “goddamns”) and some of the whining ladies of the evening also out for blood. Got a few bite-bumps on my arms. Hope it’s sufficient to buy a Giants win tonight.

• Flavor said, on July 6, 2016 at 7:02 pm

you guys are on fire today.

52. sandog said, on July 6, 2016 at 6:48 pm

Some of you may recall the tales of my 2000 Ford Windstar that has 195,000 miles on it and all the battle scars that come with raising 3 kids and also using that sucker as my hauling and camping vehicle. I mentioned a while back that a spider had set up shot under the glass (I actually saw it moving around in there) and spun a web that rendered the speedometer inoperable. Not really a problem, as I’m a chill driver and mostly hang out in the slower lanes. But tomorrow, my daughter and I are taking the van up to northern cal and she drives like Danica Freaking Patrick. So, I told myself I need to remedy that speedometer situation so I can keep her in check. Side note: some of you dads can relate I’m sure, but it ain’t easy turning over the wheel to your kids in situations like this, but I personally think its important to get them a lot of supervised driving miles and show them you have confidence in them. Anyhoo, I did some googling and found advice about crawling under the dash and unscrewing this and releasing that to get under the glass. I’m too big and impatient for that nonsense, so I fixed it SanDawg-style. First, I sent to the .99 store and bought a pack of pipe cleaners. Then, I took my Black and Decker 3/8 and drilled a hole in the “glass” right near the speedometer needle. Then I inserted several pipe cleaners through the hole, swished them around a bit, and voila! my speedometer is back in business!

• Flavor said, on July 6, 2016 at 6:59 pm

this is one of the best Flap posts of all time. It has everything. And I’m sending this solid platinum gold straight to the POTD-best of. Thank you my man, this ended a perfect day on the river for me. And I’ll see you in 10 days or so, right?

• sandog said, on July 6, 2016 at 7:07 pm

Thanks man. I’m jealous of all this river time you are getting. I’m heading up to Tahoe and hope to maybe stick a toe in the Truckee myself.
        Yessir, I will see you in 10 days were the turf meets the surf!

• Bozo said, on July 6, 2016 at 7:33 pm

I second that platinum gold nomination.

• James said, on July 6, 2016 at 7:43 pm

Bah, humbug. What does this have to do with baseball? Mrs. James is asking me why I can’t fix shit like the Dawg can …

• Flavor said, on July 6, 2016 at 8:06 pm

it has everything to do with baseball because it has nothing to do with it. Come on, think about some of the convos you’ve had with friends at a game. Over the course of your life. This type of shit had to have come up.

• James said, on July 6, 2016 at 8:14 pm

BF, re-read the concluding line.

• sandog said, on July 6, 2016 at 8:48 pm

Does this mean you’re wife is no longer pissed we left her alone at Petco for 6 innings while we shot the shot the shit and drank cocktails on the Western Metal deck? Or was she never bothered by that in the first place? I always meant to ask you about that.

• James said, on July 6, 2016 at 9:15 pm

An understable question. It was a delicate negotiation, but that was all on me — Mrs. James was totally cool with it, as she is in general. I should have brought her, it would not have diminished anything.

53. chipower9 said, on July 6, 2016 at 7:24 pm

SanDiggity – when you going to be in Tahoe? If you go up, or come down via Highway 50, give me a call and stop by if you can. I am in Placerville…very close to 50. I shared my phone number in the emails we had flying around re: the trip to NY. Also, in Truckee, if you want to catch a killer breakfast, check-out the Squeeze Inn. Place has been there for over 40 years. One of the best breakfasts ever.

Hope you can swing by dude…would be cool to see you before we all shoot off to the right coast.

• sandog said, on July 6, 2016 at 7:41 pm

Thanks Chi!…I already got you in my phone so I will keep that in mind. We’re coming in 395/89, but coming out we may end up taking 50. I will be in touch.

54. Bozo said, on July 6, 2016 at 7:29 pm

Belt is just a fucking extra base hitting machine. Hell Yeah.

• chipower9 said, on July 6, 2016 at 7:31 pm

Earlier today I read where Belt is leading in the special ballot for the AS game. I don’t give a fuck about the game, but it would be cool for Brandon to get selected.

• Bozo said, on July 6, 2016 at 7:35 pm

Yeah,I don’t know what the details of his contract are, but I’d bet an AS nod would be an additional 200K or so.

55. chipower9 said, on July 6, 2016 at 7:30 pm

Cool…let’s turn that 1 into a crooked number!

56. chipower9 said, on July 6, 2016 at 7:32 pm

Craw with another very nice AB…another RBI…

57. James said, on July 6, 2016 at 7:44 pm

Arenado is what Sandoval coulda been.

• chipower9 said, on July 6, 2016 at 7:50 pm

If Sandoval could have lost 40 pounds AND kept it off.

• Flavor said, on July 6, 2016 at 8:04 pm

2 different dudes, totally not comparable. Pablo has post season lore. Arenado was always going to produce more than him as a hitter over the course of full seasons.

• James said, on July 6, 2016 at 8:08 pm

It takes a team to get to the post season. They are both incredible athletes. That’s all I was saying.

58. Bozo said, on July 6, 2016 at 7:56 pm

Brett Favre wearing a Giants hat, I gotta say, I think that was pretty cool.

• blade3colorado said, on July 6, 2016 at 8:38 pm

What was that all about? I had the sound muted, as I was talking long distance with Pawlie . . . Is he an actual Giants fan?

• Bozo said, on July 6, 2016 at 8:40 pm

Not sure Blade, I also had the sound down.

59. Bozo said, on July 6, 2016 at 8:18 pm

Man, this sure is a long ass inning.

• blade3colorado said, on July 6, 2016 at 8:40 pm

By the by Clown – about 4-5 of us Flappers were at Reds last year before a game. Not certain, but I think Eric (ewisco), Zum, snarkk, Chi, Ed, and I were there. Unca joined up with us later at the game.

• Bozo said, on July 6, 2016 at 9:03 pm

Blade, I would have loved to have been there with y’all.

You, of all people know what a small world we live in. After being in SF, I was at a party here and someone asked if I had ever been to Reds. I explained that I had just been there a few days before, the dude asked if I met Rob the bartender and I told him I just saw Rob and knew him for years, so he says lets call him up. Here I am three thousand miles away and I’m talking to someone that knows a bartender that I was just having drinks with. Crazy stuff. I haven’t been back to SF since opening day 2011, so I’m pretty much outta touch. .

60. zumiee said, on July 6, 2016 at 8:29 pm

Tejada hits too many flyballs. It’s pointless.

61. alleykat69 said, on July 6, 2016 at 8:29 pm

Chi, Good call on Squeeze Inn in Truckee, killer breakfast, Wagon Wheel not bad as well if you want to save a few pesos..
    I always stopped in at Ob’s Pub down the street for atleast a killer Bloody Mary or Bailey’s Coffee on my way to Incline Village to see my folks! Hey a 4hr road trip deserves a reward!!

• chipower9 said, on July 6, 2016 at 9:30 pm

Oh yeah, and ya gotta have a good Bloody Mary in the morn. There is a place in Scottsdale, RnR that has my favorite all-time bloody. Served with a strip of crisp bacon.

62. sandog said, on July 6, 2016 at 8:50 pm

Not exactly shades of Robero Clemente, but he caught it.

63. blade3colorado said, on July 6, 2016 at 8:51 pm

Buster is the Master Framer. He sold that SO.

• blade3colorado said, on July 6, 2016 at 8:56 pm

He also swings a mean stick.

64. alleykat69 said, on July 6, 2016 at 8:56 pm

Buster Time!!’
    Crushed!! Lisle alittle happier?

65. Macdog said, on July 6, 2016 at 8:57 pm

Buster!

66. Bozo said, on July 6, 2016 at 8:57 pm

Posey with the big fly.

67. alleykat69 said, on July 6, 2016 at 8:59 pm

Ok knuckleheads trivia time..
    Who was the last 30 game winner in the National League?

• djloo27 said, on July 6, 2016 at 9:03 pm

Anthony Young 1993?

68. alleykat69 said, on July 6, 2016 at 9:02 pm

Tejada actually make agent OOO revel ant!!

69. Carstie Clausen said, on July 6, 2016 at 9:02 pm

Buster gives a tiny bit of breathing room. Funny thing about this team, regulars or fill-ins, when the Giants score early and make it easy, then for some arcane reason they get off their game-plan or something and tend to coast. Sometimes they go frame after frame without adding to their lead. So Buster cracked that ice a bit.

70. djloo27 said, on July 6, 2016 at 9:06 pm

Amy G looks like she belongs in a wax museum…

71. sandog said, on July 6, 2016 at 9:24 pm

Dizzy Dean for the 30 game winner?
    Blade, what do you and other Denver folk think of Drew Goodman? I want to say you are not a big fan, but I think he does a pretty good job.

• alleykat69 said, on July 6, 2016 at 9:28 pm

Winner Winner Chicken Dinner for SanDog!!

• blade3colorado said, on July 6, 2016 at 9:35 pm

He has a difficult job. He has to satisfy ownership by emphasizing anything and everything which is good about the organization, while at the same time minimizing the bad – which is a lot. Yeah, fans are fed up and perceive the broadcast crew as Monfort’s “mouthpiece.” Nevertheless, George Frazier, whom they got rid of last season was grating on the nerves of fans (albeit, Huson isn’t much better).

Bozo, I really liked Red’s . . . The place was packed and I had the breakfast burrito I think – which was quite good. Coffee was fine too. I just checked the Flap photo bucket and I could have sworn we had a photo of us leaving Red’s walking toward the Phone Park . . . The photo was reminiscent of the Beatles crossing the street and/or Reservoir Dogs scene of them walking side by side. Classic!

• sandog said, on July 6, 2016 at 9:42 pm

Lulz. Mr. Blade, Mr. Zoom, Mr. Wisco, Mr. Snarkk….

• blade3colorado said, on July 6, 2016 at 9:43 pm

Yeah, I am going to have to find that photo. Hilarious stuff.

72. chipower9 said, on July 6, 2016 at 9:27 pm

I would send Cueto out there to start the ninth. Dude is a horse who owns horses. Giddy up. And if a team could ever use a no bullpen night, this is it.

• zumiee said, on July 6, 2016 at 9:28 pm

I like the idea.

• Carstie Clausen said, on July 6, 2016 at 9:30 pm

Dang it, Chi. You beat me to it. I was gonna call him a beast and even at 110 pitches, why not give him the chance it the CG if he’s up for it.

• chipower9 said, on July 6, 2016 at 9:33 pm

Sorry ’bout that, Stix. Makes up for the 9 of 10 to which you regularly beat me. 😉

• alleykat69 said, on July 6, 2016 at 9:31 pm

Damm right Chi!!
      Boch has no choice but to send him out there to start the 9th! The Fans and the especially the Flap will rip Boch a new one if he doesn’t!

• chipower9 said, on July 6, 2016 at 9:32 pm

Well, he certainly did not follow our lead last night with Bum.

73. chipower9 said, on July 6, 2016 at 9:31 pm

Damn! Belt is just on fire. That dude definitely deserves to be called an all star. He is having a solid year.

• Bozo said, on July 6, 2016 at 9:32 pm

He keeps crushing the ball.

• Carstie Clausen said, on July 6, 2016 at 9:34 pm

Yer just too damn quick for me Chi. With that double adding to his NL lead, following the triple, Mr. Bigfoot seems to be relishing his current leading status as the fan’s final choice for the ASG.

• chipower9 said, on July 6, 2016 at 9:37 pm

Yeah, I think he really wants to show folks he deserves it, and it is reflected in this tear. He just seems, angry.

74. alleykat69 said, on July 6, 2016 at 9:34 pm

Belt’s had more doubles then I have recently…