Game Time Thread and…..Kruk Sighting

Posted in Uncategorized by Flavor on July 10, 2016

So, as you know I am in Reno. No poker today, it’s my buddy’s daughter’s 16th bday so we are doing a big bbq lunch thing. Only problem was…..propane tank doinked out on us. Dave said he’d just run down the hill to fill it. I asked if he wanted me to go just to be nice. Of course he said “no.” Now I’m bummed I didn’t go. Look who he ran into at the store. They had a good laugh about the woman who had her beers/food blown up by that ball……

Kruk told Dave they howled about it in the booth for another full inning and that they couldn’t stop watching it. Said they gave her a ball and coupons for food.

4108710271466116477-account_id=1

1. Lurker John said, on July 10, 2016 at 7:44 pm

Maybe S.F.’s proximity to SD factored into scheduling this game. All of the broadcast crew has a relatively short jaunt down the road for tomorrow’s festivities.

• blade3colorado said, on July 10, 2016 at 7:55 pm

Please just tell me that Chris Berman is sitting the HR contest out????

• Lurker John said, on July 10, 2016 at 7:56 pm

God I hope so.

2. Lurker John said, on July 10, 2016 at 7:56 pm

Span, once again, is not whelming.

• bassbaldy said, on July 10, 2016 at 7:59 pm

Good at bat tho … he had an 8 pitch at bat yesterday or was it the day before?

3. djloo27 said, on July 10, 2016 at 7:59 pm

Bum looks gassed…

• bassbaldy said, on July 10, 2016 at 8:08 pm

Couldn’t watch it, but Fleming said after last dbl play to end 9th, Bum seemed to turn and say “darn” … Just missed it … Amazing, nonetheless.

4. djloo27 said, on July 10, 2016 at 8:00 pm

Yank him now!

5. Macdog said, on July 10, 2016 at 8:02 pm

Sweep the soot!

6. wilcojoe said, on July 10, 2016 at 8:03 pm

What a way to head into the break! Now comes the longest week of the year.

• Flavor said, on July 10, 2016 at 8:28 pm

I was gonna go home tomorrow but now I think play poker for a few more days till I fly down to Del Mar on Friday…..

7. Lurker John said, on July 10, 2016 at 8:05 pm

What a performance.

8. djloo27 said, on July 10, 2016 at 8:05 pm

I guess I overreacted. I never forgot this game:

9. bassbaldy said, on July 10, 2016 at 8:06 pm

What a WIN! Incredible first half, 40-15!

• djloo27 said, on July 10, 2016 at 8:09 pm

That’s .727 ball…sick!

10. willedav said, on July 10, 2016 at 8:07 pm

Can’t get much more impressive than that. Sounds like he’s got ESPN crew solidly behind him.
    Nice showcase game for team with best record.

11. bassbaldy said, on July 10, 2016 at 8:11 pm

Oh man, Bum & Cueto …. We are some blessed fans!

• Irish Kevin said, on July 10, 2016 at 8:16 pm

I still laugh about the sports know it all pundits said the Giants were one of the teams to make the worst FA pickups of Cueto and Samarj

12. djloo27 said, on July 10, 2016 at 8:15 pm

I think Dave Stieb lost 3 no-hitters with 2 outs in the 9th before he finally got one.
    Or something close to that…

13. bassbaldy said, on July 10, 2016 at 8:22 pm

No MLB team has won more, or lost fewer, than our Giants … Pretty freakin’ glorious feeling going into the break!

• zumiee said, on July 10, 2016 at 8:30 pm

14. djloo27 said, on July 10, 2016 at 8:30 pm

I don’t want him to die, but I wouldn’t mind if Jay Leno drove off a cliff…

• bassbaldy said, on July 10, 2016 at 8:33 pm

He has quite the car collection to do it in.

• Flavor said, on July 10, 2016 at 8:34 pm

i mean, he doesn’t even have a show anymore. How is he inspiring this type of angst?

• djloo27 said, on July 10, 2016 at 8:52 pm

He has some assinine show that seems to involve him racing cars and showing off his money.
        I’ve only seen commercials…

15. bassbaldy said, on July 10, 2016 at 8:33 pm

according to my count we played 29 series … 20-7-2 is our record … Not too bad at all!

16. Flavor said, on July 10, 2016 at 8:33 pm

Andrew Baggarly ‏@extrabaggs 5m5 minutes ago
    The Giants activated Kelby Tomlinson and optioned him to AAA. He’ll have to win his place back on the roster.

I think this is a mistake. Tejada over Specs? Say it ain’t so……

• bassbaldy said, on July 10, 2016 at 8:35 pm

Sounds like Boch’s “old boy” routine.

• bassbaldy said, on July 10, 2016 at 8:41 pm

On second thought Flav, … Trying to think positively about this (difficult in the extreme for me) … maybe Boch recognizes that rather than platooning Specs in the Bigs, he starts every day in Sac, thus getting him as many plate appearances as possible and readying him for prime time later on …?

17. Flavor said, on July 10, 2016 at 8:38 pm

Dirt just posted a facebook vid of his daughter running the bases after the game tonight. Good times. There might be 2 million seagulls in the bleachers…..

• bassbaldy said, on July 10, 2016 at 8:43 pm

Do they have a ‘rinse-off-facility-when-exiting’ for those fans out there?

• zumiee said, on July 10, 2016 at 8:43 pm

Wow- Dirt was there? He was at one of Timmy’s no-hitters.

18. zumiee said, on July 10, 2016 at 8:46 pm

Tejada, Green, and Pena are all out of minor league options. That factors into the Giants’ decisions.

• zumiee said, on July 10, 2016 at 8:47 pm

Meaning, of course, they’d have to pass through waivers.

• zumiee said, on July 10, 2016 at 8:49 pm

If Tomlinson tears it up in AAA, he’ll be up in due time.

• Flavor said, on July 10, 2016 at 8:55 pm

has he ever torn it up in AAA? He proved he could hit well enough there in 2015 and he was fine at the mlb level with a ton of speed to boot. Tejada and Pena bore me……

• djloo27 said, on July 10, 2016 at 8:58 pm

Pena looks like he’s on a mission to me. I think Gillaspie may be first to go…

• bassbaldy said, on July 10, 2016 at 9:32 pm

Agreed with Loo .. Earlier today I said Pena is playing like his hair is on fire … Could be his last gasp and he ain’t going down easily … Gotta respect that.

19. Carstie Clausen said, on July 10, 2016 at 8:47 pm

The Carolina Cattleman’s gem was an excellent sendoff for four whole days without Giants baseball. Oh well, 90 games in the books and 72 to go. A .500 record the rest of the way would = 93 wins. Somehow i get the feeling we may do a tad better than that what with Pence, Panik, Duffy, Tomlinson and Cain well rested and rarin to prove they can do better than the surprising fill-ins. The Big Two in the Rotation plus the pair of Brandons have done a lot to carry the team.

20. Flavor said, on July 10, 2016 at 8:48 pm

consider the HR derby odds tonight, it’ll be tomorrow’s thread. Seems wide open. For those of you that don’t understand odds, the $$$ shown next to each player is what you win if you bet $100. You should be able to do the math from there. 🙂

21. Paul Sorensen said, on July 10, 2016 at 8:53 pm

I’m sure there will be some recaps and summaries about the 1st half of the season, some of them likely trying to explain how the Giants can have the best record in baseball while being without their starting RFer, 2Bman, and 3Bman for considerable time, plus their CFer being far less than whelming, plus a bullpen that has been inconsistent at best and horrible at worst. Can they really do that, best record?, with just a few of the hitters (Belt, Craw, Posey, Pagan for some time) consistently performing? This is starting to feel more like 2010 to me; with Cueto and Bum leading the pitching, the team just isn’t going to suffer through very many long losing streaks, which will often kill a team, and will be in a better position to hold off challengers who are actually playing well. Nice job in the 1st half, guys…. If 2nd half sees no big swoon, it should be really fun.

22. djloo27 said, on July 10, 2016 at 8:56 pm

Someone just called NY sports station and suggested Chapman to SF for Parker and some young pitching…

23. zumiee said, on July 10, 2016 at 9:01 pm

I said it last year- the decision by MLB to give the players Thursday off, too, is flat-out wrong. A sport which is built upon it’s everyday-ness, and loved by fans because of that, to take that many days off in the middle of the season is nuts, and disrespectful of the fans. For decades, games resumed on Thursday, but no more apparently.
    And baseball whines about not having enough fans. GAMES are the biggest marketing tool.
    Next real games are on Friday night. That’s not the best way to market the sport.

• Paul Sorensen said, on July 10, 2016 at 9:07 pm

Yeah, for fan, kind of a long time without our beloved baseball. But I wonder how the players feel about it. If I was playing, I might really welcome a few days off. It’s a LONG season…

• djloo27 said, on July 10, 2016 at 9:09 pm

Disagree, Zum. Even fans need a little break.
      Especially the ones that are up till 2:00 AM several nights a week…

• zumiee said, on July 10, 2016 at 9:15 pm

Good points, fellas.

24. zumiee said, on July 10, 2016 at 9:11 pm

Gillaspie also doesn’t have any minor league options left. There’s a great chance he’d slide through waivers OK, though. It’s hard to judge what interest there’d be on Tejada, Pena, or Green going through waivers.

25. djloo27 said, on July 10, 2016 at 9:20 pm

I was thinking (?) last night that you could still field a great NL All Star team with guys that are still alive from over 50 years ago:

1B – McCovey
    2B – Rose
    SS – Wills
    3B – Perez/Allen
    C – Torre
    OF- Mays, Aaron, F. Robinson, B. Williams
    P – Koufax, Gibson, Marichal, Perry, Bunning, Maloney, Veale…

I fell asleep thinking of an AL team.

• zumiee said, on July 10, 2016 at 9:25 pm

Great list.
      I might go Mike Schmidt at third, though.

• zumiee said, on July 10, 2016 at 9:27 pm

Oh wait, I misunderstood. They PLAYED 50 years ago, is what you’re saying.

• djloo27 said, on July 10, 2016 at 9:30 pm

Right, Zum. That’s why no Seaver or Bench.
        I didn’t look anything up – just laying in bed.
        My version of counting sheep, i guess…

• djloo27 said, on July 10, 2016 at 9:36 pm

Ferguson Jenkins was active but didn’t blossom till 1967…

• zumiee said, on July 10, 2016 at 9:41 pm

Awesome pitcher, who kind of got overshadowed playing for teams that usually weren’t all that good.

• djloo27 said, on July 10, 2016 at 9:43 pm

I had Yaz, Kaline, Oliva, B. Robinson and Aparicio for the AL before I dozed off.
      It’s exhausting if you don’t cheat…

• zumiee said, on July 10, 2016 at 9:45 pm

We lost Yogi only this past year.

26. bassbaldy said, on July 10, 2016 at 9:44 pm

Further to Zum’s 9:01 … General question … Did players from bigone eras get hurt as much as they do in these times?

I read an article some years back on sports injuries. It basically stated that all the machinery used in the conditioning of pro athletes was suspect in the cause of the increase in injuries … Obviously, the article felt that athletes were getting injured more even though they were in overall better shape than their predecessors. On the other hand, we live in a time of increasing population and a growing number of participants in pro sports … Not sure if the numbers took that fact into account.

• djloo27 said, on July 10, 2016 at 9:50 pm

People act like every SP threw 300 innings with no problem.
      Absolutely untrue.
      Tons of guys were washed up early with what they simply called “sore arms”.
      I think position players played through injuries out of financial necessity, but many were done in by knee and shoulder injuries which they didn’t know how to fix back then…

• bassbaldy said, on July 10, 2016 at 10:00 pm

I did not know that Loo … Thank You!

Although I’m a senior citizen, I came to baseball a considerably later than most of you Flappers. Of course, I know many of the players you all refer too — I even got to see the Big Red Machine play in the early 70’s — but I have nowhere near the knowledge or history.

Yeah, Flappers always talking about Bum being a “throw back” to a an earlier, greater period … I get that, but it does seem players across the board are dropping like flies … It is brutal. This AS game stuff (HR derby etc) seems like a big waste … Wish they would just keep it simple … Play a game with the best players and go home … Have a few days off then back to it.

• zumiee said, on July 10, 2016 at 9:52 pm

It’s a complex issue. A lot of the previous era players played injured more, especially before multi-year contracts came into being in the mid-1970s.

• bassbaldy said, on July 10, 2016 at 10:03 pm

Very interesting … Players union relieved some of that pressure I suppose?

• bassbaldy said, on July 10, 2016 at 10:07 pm

I think it was Bryant that was saying he recently that he found the HR derby to be completely exhausting … I can imagine how it could be … National tv audience, huge pressure … and you go up there and swing from your heels for a long, long time … Whew! I’m sore just thinking about it!

27. zumiee said, on July 10, 2016 at 9:55 pm

Wil Myers looked like crap in that series vs. the Dodgers.

28. blade3colorado said, on July 10, 2016 at 10:06 pm

Loo dreaming . . .

• djloo27 said, on July 10, 2016 at 10:17 pm

lulz!
      I have a little more hair than him…