Game Time Thread and…..Kruk Sighting

Posted in Uncategorized by Flavor on July 10, 2016

So, as you know I am in Reno. No poker today, it’s my buddy’s daughter’s 16th bday so we are doing a big bbq lunch thing. Only problem was…..propane tank doinked out on us. Dave said he’d just run down the hill to fill it. I asked if he wanted me to go just to be nice. Of course he said “no.” Now I’m bummed I didn’t go. Look who he ran into at the store. They had a good laugh about the woman who had her beers/food blown up by that ball……

Kruk told Dave they howled about it in the booth for another full inning and that they couldn’t stop watching it. Said they gave her a ball and coupons for food.

4108710271466116477-account_id=1

1. bassbaldy said, on July 10, 2016 at 9:44 pm

Further to Zum’s 9:01 … General question … Did players from bigone eras get hurt as much as they do in these times?

I read an article some years back on sports injuries. It basically stated that all the machinery used in the conditioning of pro athletes was suspect in the cause of the increase in injuries … Obviously, the article felt that athletes were getting injured more even though they were in overall better shape than their predecessors. On the other hand, we live in a time of increasing population and a growing number of participants in pro sports … Not sure if the numbers took that fact into account.

• djloo27 said, on July 10, 2016 at 9:50 pm

People act like every SP threw 300 innings with no problem.
      Absolutely untrue.
      Tons of guys were washed up early with what they simply called “sore arms”.
      I think position players played through injuries out of financial necessity, but many were done in by knee and shoulder injuries which they didn’t know how to fix back then…

• bassbaldy said, on July 10, 2016 at 10:00 pm

I did not know that Loo … Thank You!

Although I’m a senior citizen, I came to baseball a considerably later than most of you Flappers. Of course, I know many of the players you all refer too ā€” I even got to see the Big Red Machine play in the early 70’s ā€” but I have nowhere near the knowledge or history.

Yeah, Flappers always talking about Bum being a “throw back” to a an earlier, greater period … I get that, but it does seem players across the board are dropping like flies … It is brutal. This AS game stuff (HR derby etc) seems like a big waste … Wish they would just keep it simple … Play a game with the best players and go home … Have a few days off then back to it.

• zumiee said, on July 10, 2016 at 9:52 pm

It’s a complex issue. A lot of the previous era players played injured more, especially before multi-year contracts came into being in the mid-1970s.

• bassbaldy said, on July 10, 2016 at 10:03 pm

Very interesting … Players union relieved some of that pressure I suppose?

• bassbaldy said, on July 10, 2016 at 10:07 pm

I think it was Bryant that was saying he recently that he found the HR derby to be completely exhausting … I can imagine how it could be … National tv audience, huge pressure … and you go up there and swing from your heels for a long, long time … Whew! I’m sore just thinking about it!

2. zumiee said, on July 10, 2016 at 9:55 pm

Wil Myers looked like crap in that series vs. the Dodgers.

3. blade3colorado said, on July 10, 2016 at 10:06 pm

Loo dreaming . . .

• djloo27 said, on July 10, 2016 at 10:17 pm

lulz!
      I have a little more hair than him…