Back, Back, Back……

Posted in Uncategorized by Flavor on July 11, 2016

Home Run Derby Day!

Eh, not the most exciting group of guys. But it is what it is and once I turn this thing on I usually watch till conclusion. Helps a lot to have something riding on it. So let’s take a look at the contenders:

Stanton: 3-1

Dumbo: 3.75-1

Frazier: 5-1

Duvall and Will Myers: 6.5-1

CarGo: 8-1

Cano and Seager: 9-1

This line up has 2 former winners (Cano (2011) and Frazier who is also the defending champ).

Handicapping it: Let’s start by accepting the absolute fact that mlb uses juiced balls for this event. They don’t admit to it but only an idiot could believe these dudes are hitting 475+ hr’s over and over off slow batting practice pitches. Soย while Petco isn’t the easiest place to hit home runs, the dimensions of the park won’t come into play with all those juiced balls being launched to the moon.

Stanton is the obvious favorite and he could get in a groove I guess. But so could any of these guys. Not only is he the favorite to win I also think he’s the favorite to injure himself mid-contest. Guys who’s hammy’s are strung tighter than a Gibson Les Paul are not guys I’d put my money on. So he’s out.

Trumbo: a worthy second favorite. He just doesn’t do anything for me so I can’t bet on him.

Frazier: defending champ probably got on his winning roll last year with the hometown backing of the crowd. He doesn’t have that this year so I’m betting against a repeat.

Adam Duvall: Who had Duvall making this contest last year before we traded him for Leake? Anyone? Bueller? I really want him to win and I have to believe he’s a batting practice hero who finally figured out how to hit the bendy shit. My guess is that the pressure of being the no-name will be his downfall. If he doesn’t get hot right away he might panic and be like, “I’m Adam Duvall, how the fuck am I here?” I might put a few bucks on him as my second choice. First sentimental choice for sure.

Wil Myers: Everyone is calling him “this year’s Frazier” and I guess it’s possible. But San Diego doesn’t strike me as the same kind of town as Cincy and while Myers could win (just like any of them) I don’t think the crowd will factor in the way it did last year with Frazier……

CarGo: Eh, if you can get the non-Sherpa factor out of your mind you could probably talk yourself into backing CarGo. I’m not there yet. Yet.

Robby Cano: If he wasn’t 33 I’d bet on this former champion. But this is a game of stamina as much as it is a game of brute power and skill. I just don’t think he’ll be able to keep going with these younger guys long enough to last to the end.

Cory Seager: this year’s Joc Pederson. Pederson was actually the favorite last year so I’m a little surprised that Seager’s the longest shot on the board this year. This guy is super talented, and I have to assume he’s in good enough shape to stay the course in this thing. And 9-1 looks very good.

I will head down to the casino later today to check the odds (the ones listed are just Bovada’s) but right now I could see myself putting $50 on Seager and maybe $10 on Duvall as a sentimental cover bet.

What would your bets be (with the same amount I am using?)

1. Lurker John said, on July 11, 2016 at 7:57 am

Not a big HR derby fan anymore, mostly due to boredom and Berman’s vacuous calls. The dude seriously needs to be put out to pasture. I will say that I thought the changes them made last year (the year before?) were a step in the right direction.

How ’bout those Giants?

2. willedav said, on July 11, 2016 at 8:14 am

Not into HR Derby and miss first couple hours of AS Game, which should take a long time anyway.
    always liked the start, when everyone gets introduced wearing some semblance of their home gear.

Loo, great 50 yrs ago list from last thread. didn’t follow the AL as close so I’m still thinking about positions you didn’t cover, pitching too; can’t recall who is still around from those O’s teams. Didn’t Bunning throw a no hitter in both leagues? Where was he better?

3. unca_chuck said, on July 11, 2016 at 8:15 am

I bet I don’t watch it . . .

4. willedav said, on July 11, 2016 at 8:20 am

Feel bad for Duffy and his Achilles problems. Used to play once a week pick up b-ball games with other old guys in a small middle school gym we rented til mine started bothering me. You start to take off downcourt but feel it tighten after a couple strides at top speed and dial it back.
    Know someone a little younger than me who twice tore theirs, a long recovery I couldn’t afford.

• Lurker John said, on July 11, 2016 at 9:24 am

I gave up pickup b-ball for similar reasons and it was hard because it was something I loved to do. Weak ankles were the culprit. When I really busted one up, and it happened more than I care to think about, in addition to being brutally painful, it could be 2-3 weeks and it still wouldn’t be near 100%. I just couldn’t afford the lost work time.

Hope the Duffster gets over this quickly. I sure he’s champing at the bit and the Giants definitely need him back.

• sfsarge said, on July 11, 2016 at 11:24 am

Interesting thing about pickup b-ball games, when I was a medic in Iraq in 04/05 there were far more injuries from basketball games than from combat or other operational requirements. The worst non-combat injury I saw was from a 240lb guy playing basketball. Completely tore 3 ligaments in his knee and his knee cap was sitting on his lower thigh.

• willedav said, on July 11, 2016 at 12:09 pm

lucky enough all the years I played with these guys injuries were really rare–only a couple of out of control nuts you learned to stay away from. One guy slightly older than me used to get leg cramps and had knee problems and sit out a game or two and then come back. Joke was he shot better when he was hurt.

When Niners used to work out in Redwood City, there was a gym I wandered into near their practice field, and there was Cedrick Hardman in there playing. And no, my 5-8 140 lb self didn’t want any part of that and walked right back out.

• chipower9 said, on July 11, 2016 at 12:48 pm

My son spent four years in the AF, and blew-out a knee play a pick-up game of B-ball. And agree with Sarge…in my 33+ years in the AF, I saw more sports-related injuries than those caused on the job.

5. alleykat69 said, on July 11, 2016 at 8:22 am

$50 on Myers $-10 on LeMaster
    Ok forget Boo, I’ll throw $10 on Seager..
    Stanton will hit a 500 ft bomb but then will blow out his oblique..

6. blade3colorado said, on July 11, 2016 at 8:26 am

Like Willie and LJ, I could give 2 shits about this competition (especially if Chris Berman drones on with his, “back, back, back . . .” bullshit).

Cargo doesn’t have to worry about bendy stuff with batting practice pitches – going from the Himalayas to sea level, so that is in his favor. Additionally, similar to me when I go to the bay area and can double my usual 2 miles jog and feel like Superman, I would consider him insofar as the stamina factor.

• Lurker John said, on July 11, 2016 at 9:17 am

“…going from the Himalayas to sea level…”

LOL! Nice mind image there, Cargo taking BP at the Mt. Everest advanced base camp. Back, back, back…

7. sfsarge said, on July 11, 2016 at 8:59 am

Could not care less about the HR derby. But since we’re betting, I’ll put 20 on Wil Myers just for S & G’s. I’m not much of a gambler. I think I won 10$ at a blackjack table in reno back in 2000 and I lost about 100$ on slots at the Emerald Queen casino just outside of Tacoma. That’s about the extent of it. I googled all the gambling language one day and I still don’t understand it. So I’ll let those who enjoy it have their fun…..on a side note, spent the weekend camping in Mendocino County out of cell range with no wifi and it was glorious being out of the loop for a couple of days. Got back in time to watch the game from about the 7th inning last night. Wow, that curve was Zitoesque

• Flavor said, on July 11, 2016 at 9:05 am

Being out of Ca in my version of being out of the loop. And while I’ve enjoyed my trip I’m more than ready to go home.

• Lurker John said, on July 11, 2016 at 9:18 am

Sarge, are you in the Puget Sound area?

• sfsarge said, on July 11, 2016 at 10:17 am

I used to be stationed at Fort Lewis about 10 years ago.

8. Flavor said, on July 11, 2016 at 8:59 am

got Seager at 10-1 and Duvall at 7.5-1. Both fine enough odds to keep me interested. Ok, been gone 10 days. Time to go home. California here I come.

9. Flavor said, on July 11, 2016 at 9:38 am

Blade you comment makes a ton of sense. So much so that I drove back to town and canceled my tickets. Bailed on Duvall, put $20 on Sesger and $60 on cargo at 7-1. Make it so.

• blade3colorado said, on July 11, 2016 at 9:40 am

Hope you win! Soda is on you if you do ๐Ÿ™‚

10. chipower9 said, on July 11, 2016 at 10:06 am

I am with LJ – bored to tears with the whole HR derby. And with Charlie (Unca), I bet I do not see it. Cannot recall last time I watched one. And Berman’s antics just pushed me away even more. It was cute about 20 years ago, but come on…

Agree with WillieD on the issue with DuffMan’s Achilles. But, good news so far on Pence (rehab next week if all goes as planned), and Panik could be activated for either the Boston or NY series. But, you don’t want to get ahead of yourselves when dealing with concussions.

I was out of pocket yesterday, but what a gem by Bumgarner. Dude WILL get his no-no eventually.

11. snarkk said, on July 11, 2016 at 10:25 am

My bet is I won’t give a S about the HR Derby…

12. Lurker John said, on July 11, 2016 at 10:36 am

Bum was spectacular. His curve was as good as I’ve seen it, just devastating for AZ hitters, He even made Goldschmidt look ordinary,

13. gianthead said, on July 11, 2016 at 10:43 am

A degenerate gambler like me cant even contemplate placing a bet on the home run derby. But I guess when you are in the lion’s den…

14. wilcojoe said, on July 11, 2016 at 10:45 am

Cueto to start!

15. gianthead said, on July 11, 2016 at 10:51 am

Like Willie and Lurker, I had a weekly Friday lunch game going for 5-6 years and I would spend all weekend having trouble getting off the couch because of the knees. So now haven’t played in almost two years…miss it but of course I’ve added about 15 lbs since I stopped playing…

16. dirtnrocksnomo said, on July 11, 2016 at 11:13 am

My daughter has been asking all summer to go to a game and there was some sort of Hello Kitty promotion at the yard yesterday so we headed north on the peninsula. She’s been interested in baseball lately so we talked about the team and rules of the game on the way. It is always interesting when kids talk about the game. It reminds me that not just the rules but also the game action can be very confusing to new fans. Anyway, we got there just in time for first pitch and made our way to our seats along the right field line.

Early on I thought it was just the afternoon light helping Bumgarner but the Giants didn’t seem to have any problem seeing the ball when they pushed two runs across in the bottom of the 1st. We were just under the overhang by the bricks and Posey hit a shot straight at us in the bottom of the 3rd. With a loud bang the ball hit the overhang directly above our seats and was scooped up by a couple two rows in front of us. In 30+ years of going to games that is the closest I have ever come to a foul ball. So. Close…

The Diamondbacks have some pretty good hitters and Bumgarner just kept mowing them down as the shadows stretched past 2b. Blanco’s error in the 5th was a fair ruling in my opinion. With everyone standing I couldn’t see the play as it happened but we were in that general area and between the clear blue sky and early evening sun anything in the air was impossible to see. Bumgarner is so intense on the mount that you could feel his frustration at losing the perfect game but he shook it off and went back to dominating. That sense of anticipation was really building with standing ovations from the 5th inning on. Lamb’s single in the 8th sucked some of the air out of the crowd but a complete game 1 hitter with 14Ks is pretty damn sweet. I saw Lincecum’s no-no in 2014 but last night was the most dominant pitching performance I have seen in person. My only criticism of the game would be the club leaving 9 men on base and going 2-14 with RISP. It seemed like they were in position to score every inning. Had they cashed in a few more early runs maybe Bumgarner could have pitched to contact and had a little more in the tank at the end. Whatever. Nitpicking.

What a performance by Bumgarner. What a game!

• zumiee said, on July 11, 2016 at 11:34 am

Great report, Dirt; thanks!

• willedav said, on July 11, 2016 at 11:35 am

Nice Dirt! blanco said he never saw it; it’s probably lucky it bounced off his glove and was ruled an error.
      If he hadn’t touched it they usually rule that a hit. I’m sure there were others like me that didn’t want to say anything but he had no hit stuff early on and was really fun to watch. Not sure I’ve ever seen something like that live either.

• zumiee said, on July 11, 2016 at 11:41 am

I was at the Halicki no-hitter. It was the second game of a doubleheader, and I don’t remember much about it. Too young to fully appreciate it at the time.

• zumiee said, on July 11, 2016 at 11:44 am

Ironically, I remember more about the first game of the DH. The Mets won a slugfest, and Kingman hit two HRs for the Mets.

• chipower9 said, on July 11, 2016 at 1:05 pm

Nice recap, and it is cool that you and your daughter took in the game. Reminds me of early days with my daughter, and she is as big a Giant/baseball fan now as I am.

17. dirtnrocksnomo said, on July 11, 2016 at 11:50 am

As far as the HR Derby, I would go with Stanton for the reasons that blade put forth. I would also chose Frazier again. He has a swing that lends itself to BP. He’s fallen off pretty dramatically this year though so maybe not. I could see Meyer’s doing well. 14 of his bombs are at home.

18. willedav said, on July 11, 2016 at 11:54 am

Last week there was talk about theKevin Mitchell trade with SD. I do remember being there with buddies watching Mark Davis shut out the Dodgers for his first W of the season; found the box score from July 30 1983. This game was pleasant surprise as Dodgers were really good with Reuss going and Giants 13 out and playing lot of not good players and a kid SP I wasn’t real high on.

He wiped out LA on 7 hits. The IF was Brenly (3 run HR that knocked out nemesis J Reuss early) at 1b Wellman at 2b O’Malley at 3b and LeMaster at SS and leading off (batting .251 too, dang good year for Boo). Hac Chili and Youngblood in the OF, Rabb C.
    Baker was in LF for LA Guerrero Russell Sax yada yada. Lasorda vs. Frank Robinson.

19. dirtnrocksnomo said, on July 11, 2016 at 12:16 pm

DJ/Flav,

I saw your back and forth regarding Reno in the thread yesterday. When I lived there I noticed that many visitors still think of the town as it was in the 80’s-90’s but a lot has changed. City leaders have focused effort into rejuvenating the areas closest to the river and had some success with an Art Town section that is pretty nice. The casinos in the downtown core are mostly attended by the dregs of society and are slowly dying and being converted to housing. I rarely went downtown unless I was going to a bachelor party or out on an all night bender and making a series of poor decisions.

I lived on the south end of town so if I wanted to gamble I would go to the Atlantis or the Pepper Mill. I’m not much for gambling though and it was definitely one of the factors in deciding to leave. After a while you just want to do normal daily life things like going to the gas station or grocery store and not have to be surrounded by a bunch of chain smoking degenerates pissing away their time at gaming machines.

All that said, the larger Great Basin area has a lot to offer if you like outdoor activity. I could be at 3 or 4 ski resorts and half a dozen lakes within an hour of my house. If I were to move back I would check out a place like Verdi or maybe something higher up the mountainside in the treeline.

20. chipower9 said, on July 11, 2016 at 2:06 pm

Regarding Draymond’s arrest over the weekend for assault, the latest coming out is that it was a scuffle between two guys (according to local police), and they do not anticipate this going anywhere. Also, a couple of folks who say they were there say that Green was actually bullied/provoked, and say they have video to prove it. Sounds like a non-starter and no worries for Draymond.

21. zumiee said, on July 11, 2016 at 2:32 pm

So all the All Stars are required to show up to the work-out today and be available to the media. A fun day for them to just revel in being an All Star. Lots of smiles and laughs. They have to wear those hideous Padre retro unis today, though.

• alleykat69 said, on July 11, 2016 at 2:38 pm

Zumie…You mean the one’s that look like a combination of barf & diarrhea?

• zumiee said, on July 11, 2016 at 2:46 pm

Yep. Yucky.

22. zumiee said, on July 11, 2016 at 2:41 pm

Interesting documentary on Mark “the Bird” Fidrych on the MLB Network this week. A brief lightning-in-a-bottle career. 19 wins as a rookie, but only 29 wins in his career. The medical care of today could have saved his career.

23. blade3colorado said, on July 11, 2016 at 2:59 pm

Off topic . . . Have any of you had a home situation, where you hired a contractor and a perceived simple project turns into a nightmare? I had a small water leak in the air conditioning duct work above my ceiling drywall, where I hired this contractor (handyman), who is the nicest person in the world, but to be diplomatic – his skills are less than exemplary. He has been out here a total of 4 times now. Initially, he cut out the ceiling drywall and pin pointed the leak and that was easily repaired. However, the drywall repair was shoddy and it looks like a square in the middle of my ceiling, i.e., the drywall wasn’t taped, textured, sanded and painted correctly. As I said, it looks like there is a hatch or a square in the middle of my hallway and it’s driving me nuts. So, he comes back today to sand the area and repaint his previous work. For the sanding part of the job, he tapes an enclosure around him to control dust.

Arrrrrggggghhhhh! Fast forward a half hour later, I have dust all over my condo, e.g., furniture, bedding, counters, floors, appliances, etc. Easily, a few hours of elbow grease to clean this mess. Apparently, the enclosure had multiple openings. Ugh.

Oh, and he still is working on the ceiling drywall. Don’t know if I am going to throw him off my 3rd floor balcony or what. Stay tuned . . .

• chipower9 said, on July 11, 2016 at 3:22 pm

If you toss him off the balcony, be sure to record it. Inquiring minds want to see…

Oh, and good luck.

• blade3colorado said, on July 11, 2016 at 3:34 pm

Whitey Bulger knew how to resolve these issues without getting caught . . . or, at least he did for a long period of time.

• wilcojoe said, on July 11, 2016 at 4:01 pm

Sounds almost exactly like a scenario I am having in my house. We have a pipe leak in one of our walls that needs to be replaced and will require cutting into the Sheetrock. I got quotes from two reputable plumbers that were both well north of $1000. A neghbor referred a friend who said he would do it for $400 plus cost of parts. This was nearly two months ago. He keeps putting it off using “other work commitments” as an excuse. Not having hot water to run the dishwasher has been a bitch, albeit a first world problem.

I basically think he regrets quoting us such a good deal as the job would likely take a full day and require him spending a good amount of time in our attic (which is about 150 degrees this time of year), which I totally get. I am thinking of calling him and telling him I want to pay him a bit extra if he can fit us in sooner. That’s my passive aggressive way of saying “get your fucking ass over here and get it done.”

• Flavor said, on July 11, 2016 at 4:15 pm

handyman and mechanics are like gold: if you find a good one, never let them go. No matter what they charge. I probably overpay but I always get straight shit from my dudes and they finish job when they say they will. I am the least handy person I know so I need to know it’s going to get fixed.

• blade3colorado said, on July 11, 2016 at 4:31 pm

Sheesh Joe, you’re already making me feel better. ๐Ÿ™‚

This guy charged me $300 (I paid him last week after the 3rd visit) and he offered to refund me the money today . . . and still attempt to fix the drywall. It does look better, but I thought it was fixed before (at dusk it looked great, but the light was different . . . morning is another ball game). Anywho, he is on the last coat of paint right now. Fingers crossed and just hoping it is fixed and I only have to deal with dusting all the furniture, etc., effected by his sanding this morning.

24. Flavor said, on July 11, 2016 at 4:01 pm

Ahhhhhhh back at home. Got a 6 pack of Lagunitas and a Boston pizza from Amichi’s, I’m ready to go. I’m actually pretty stoked to see how far Stanton can hit juiced baseballs. This is going to be fun! (for me, I get that most of you will be doing other things). ๐Ÿ™‚ ๐Ÿ™‚ ๐Ÿ™‚

25. Flavor said, on July 11, 2016 at 4:04 pm

Here’s what I don’t get about ESPN: Every single person I know hates Chris Berman. At least in this event. You know they have this information. And yet, they keep trotting him out there. Why? Why not let fucking Jack Black do it. Kidding. Kinda. If EVERYONE hates the announcer you use why wouldn’t you put ANYONE else in there?

• wilcojoe said, on July 11, 2016 at 4:16 pm

It’s the same way no one says their going to watch the Derby. Chris Berman is kinda like that.

His schtick is old as shit but I have to admit I am going to watch just to hear him say “that one’s on its way to La Jolla!” By the way, I put that as a 3-1 favorite. Close behind is Tijuana at 4-1 and El Cajon at 6-1.

• Flavor said, on July 11, 2016 at 4:17 pm

maybe reference the Del Mar racetrack? Longshot, I know. I’ll say 15-1 on that one

26. Flavor said, on July 11, 2016 at 4:04 pm

Where’s San Diggity? Still in Tahoe? Or on top of that damn building in left field?

27. Flavor said, on July 11, 2016 at 4:10 pm

notice how the announcers never once address the balls or how the bats are monitored? Ever. These dudes are probably corking the shit out of their bats and the balls are basically just a little bit bigger golf balls. We’ll see a 500 foot hr tonight. Maybe several of them.

28. zumiee said, on July 11, 2016 at 4:18 pm

I think ESPN feels they owe it to Berman to let him do what he wants to do. He helped build the ESPN brand in the early years. I never thought he was all that great at anything, and he flat-out stole the “he-could-go-all-the-way” call from Howard Cosell.

29. wilcojoe said, on July 11, 2016 at 4:20 pm

Did you hear Stanton make the comment that he is probably not a good bet because he didn’t play in the new format last year? He also brought up a great point about guys hitting low line drives having a better chance since it takes less time. I completley forgot about that. I think I am going to go with Frazier to repeat because of that very fact. That might play into Duvall’s hands as well.

• djloo27 said, on July 11, 2016 at 4:27 pm

Frazier winning just weeks after Ali died sounds about right…

30. zumiee said, on July 11, 2016 at 4:24 pm

I haven’t liked Sports Center since Patrick and Olberman were a team. They were brilliant at it, and every night’s script seemed full insight and clever wordplay. They both eventually wanted bigger and brighter things and left.
    They wrote a really good sports book together, and I listened to that whole doggone thing on a drive to Seattle. It made the miles just fly by.

• blade3colorado said, on July 11, 2016 at 5:52 pm

I really don’t recall much of Olberman and Patrick’s ESPN schtick, as I usually watched the local sports news and CNN, which used to do sports heavily – I think it was affiliated with Sports Illustrated and was similar to ESPN. No idea why it was canceled. I did like Olberman’s Countdown (politics) show.

When I cut the cord 4 years ago, it was mostly because I just got tired of television’s “mind control” effect.

31. wilcojoe said, on July 11, 2016 at 4:31 pm

I am in the minority in that I don’t mind the fact that World Series home field advantage is based on which league wins the All Star Game. The old way was just as lame. They took turns. I actually think it has helped to create greater interest from the players themselves. It seems like you see very few guys pull out of the game like you did in the past. For a while, it seemed like half the starters had some nagging injury as an excuse not to attend.

I would like to see a new way of selecting the starters where the fan vote was one third and the players and managers made up the rest.

• Flavor said, on July 11, 2016 at 4:41 pm

same boat. I don’t think it should be best record just cause the leagues are so different and, as you said, switching off was lame. And I get that this game has nothing to do with the WS and is decided by players who, mostly, won’t be playing in the WS. But whatever, it at least qualifies as SOMETHING meaningful.

32. zumiee said, on July 11, 2016 at 4:35 pm

How very cool that Cueto will be throwing to his own usual catcher.

33. Flavor said, on July 11, 2016 at 4:39 pm

that Tony Gwynn story was….powerful.

• zumiee said, on July 11, 2016 at 4:43 pm

I missed it, unfortunately.

34. blade3colorado said, on July 11, 2016 at 4:43 pm

Flavor’s 4:15pm – spot on. Scott was my “go to” handyman when I lived in the mountains. However, I lost his number when I moved down here to the condo. He could do everything and was conscientious about his work. He also was more than reasonable on cost. Like you said, he was worth his weight in gold. Went through my condo like a madman trying to find his number, e.g., looked at a hundred business cards, old phones I still have (their directory #s, etc.). Nada.

Ironically, this guy I hired is conscientious too and maybe drywall ceiling repair (much more difficult than drywall on a wall repair) is not his calling. He is dirt cheap and I am tempted to use him for another job, if only because he will “bull dog” his way to making it right.

35. unca_chuck said, on July 11, 2016 at 4:44 pm

My contractor nightmare is keeping me from going to NY in a couple weeks, Blade.

Big fat pisser. Gist of the story is he started the work 2 days before he was getting the permit. He said he wanted to get a jump on the project and that he would get the plans through in 2 to 3 days. It took 2 months. So he tore our house apart and couldn’t work on it. Meanwhile he kept trying to upsell is on more work that we had planned. I said fine, give me the numbers, and between the first and 3rd bids, the price jumped $25,000. He badgered the shit out of us, and he kept pushing and getting very demanding. It got very ugly after that. We had daily screaming matches on the phone. He had too much work going on and was very sloppy with his numbers and his accounting. By the time the permit was issued, I signed the permit myself as to kick him off the job. He wanted a shitload of money for basically 6 days of demo work. He put a lien on our house, we had to get a lawyer, he sued, we countersued. Still trying to get him to remove the lien, but we went to court in early June, and the ruling came down that we owed him far less than he wanted, but certainly far more than I wanted to pay. The cocksucker lives in a $2.5 million house in Napa. This by far is the closest I’ve come to actual murder. The fucker lied in court, doctored his bids that he showed the judge. I called him out on a couple of the lies, but the judge ruled. We could have appealed, but this shit would just keep dragging out.

We were forced to get a new contractor and the project cost a shitload more than it would have had we found the 2nd guy. o we lived in a house with no ceiling, walls down to the studs, bare wiring/nails/insulation, and down to the subfloor for 3 months. Every morning the house was covered in drywall dust.

• zumiee said, on July 11, 2016 at 4:57 pm

Wow! What an experience. You kept your wits about you somehow.

• wilcojoe said, on July 11, 2016 at 5:05 pm

Geez, that absolutely blows. Makes my problems look like spilt milk.

• Flavor said, on July 11, 2016 at 5:32 pm

unfuckingbelievable. This pisses me off I can’t imagine what you and your wife went through with this BULLSHIT.

• blade3colorado said, on July 11, 2016 at 5:32 pm

Holy Shit! I’m actually feeling embarrassed about mentioning my piss ant complaint. Unfrickingbelievable! Yeah, that sort of shit would make me go insane . . . I think that’s one reason I bought a new condo, as well as my mountain home (which still was a relative nightmare due to snow related shit). I don’t handle stuff breaking down very well and add a weasel contractor to the mix, I see red. You probably already know this Chuck, but my life is all about downsizing now. Has been since I retired early. “Stuff” is just an anchor around my neck. Condo fits my style and even there, I am thinking about selling it next year if these sky high real estate increases continue.

• djloo27 said, on July 11, 2016 at 5:48 pm

I doubt anyone in history has ever been prosecuted for committing perjury in a civil suit…

36. djloo27 said, on July 11, 2016 at 4:46 pm

Hopefully God will once again watch over the underage, unskilled klutzes in the outfield who are sitting ducks for searing line drives off the bats of the best power hitters in the world who are swinging at pitches being grooved for them no less. How have they avoided disaster all these years?
    These kids lives are at risk…

• zumiee said, on July 11, 2016 at 4:55 pm

That’s a good point; but on the other hand, I would have jumped at the opportunity as a kid.
      As a kid I did take a linedrive off of my mouth in a pick-up game that resulted in 7 stitches on the inside of my mouth. Not a fun experience.

• djloo27 said, on July 11, 2016 at 5:02 pm

It’s the 10th straight year I’ve made the same point, Zum…

• wilcojoe said, on July 11, 2016 at 5:09 pm

It wouldn’t be a home run derby without Loo’s annual cautionary warning to MLB. Now the games may begin!

• blade3colorado said, on July 11, 2016 at 5:34 pm

Or, his bi-monthly MadBum salary increase entreaties to the Baseball Gods!

• djloo27 said, on July 11, 2016 at 5:37 pm

37. djloo27 said, on July 11, 2016 at 5:31 pm

In ’60’s Brooklyn, when all kids played baseball or softball there were often 4 games going on at once in the big schoolyard which had a “diamond’ in each corner. One day when I was about 10, I was playing 2nd base and about 20 feet in front of me was the LF from the game going on directly behind us. They were older kids and some could really play. So the LF (Al Z. one of their best) fields a base hit and fires it towards his cutoff man. Nailed me right between the eyes with a Clincher. I didn’t see it coming – didn’t feel it and didn’t know what had happened to me. All I remember is everything turned completely green – not black. I didn’t fall down – just stood in place with my head down. When the green went away I picked up my head and there was about 20 kids around me just staring at my swollen bloodied face. A few asked me if I was okay. Al said he was sorry. Play resumed.

• Flavor said, on July 11, 2016 at 5:38 pm

Jesus, that’s INSANE! Also, I’m gonna call this right now: that’s the most words you’ve ever written in one post. Argument?

• djloo27 said, on July 11, 2016 at 5:44 pm

Probably. I’m exhausted from it..

• Flavor said, on July 11, 2016 at 5:53 pm

well, whatever, it’s going into the POTD-best of. Epic shit out of you. Again.

38. wilcojoe said, on July 11, 2016 at 5:39 pm

I think these balls are juiced beyond recognition. I could probably Jack a few out of there.

• Flavor said, on July 11, 2016 at 5:40 pm

it’s hilarious and no one says shit about it. And I’m telling you, those bats have liquid titanium in them. I don’t even know if that’s a real thing but it should be and if it is it’s in those bats…….

• wilcojoe said, on July 11, 2016 at 5:45 pm

Agree. We have all seen regular batting practice and NO ONE hits bombs as often and as far as these guys are doing in one of the biggest yards in the game.

39. wilcojoe said, on July 11, 2016 at 5:57 pm

This has to be the coolest looking park in all of baseball. Love all the different decks and seating areas in the outfield. Great skyline, just perfect.

• zumiee said, on July 11, 2016 at 6:07 pm

It gets underrated because the Padres are lousy so often.

• Flavor said, on July 11, 2016 at 6:08 pm

I’ll see San Dawg next week, I’m going to ask him about the different spots he’s stayed in that park. I don’t recall if he’s ever been in that building (at least he hasn’t told me or I’ve forgotton)…
      Stanton looks completely unbeatable at this point unless he gets hurt…….

40. alleykat69 said, on July 11, 2016 at 6:04 pm

I’ll give the stadium it’s due for the skyline effect WJ, but for me no park tops AT&T with the bay water and the bay bridge from RF line upper deck ..
    Geez how come Duvall never showed that power with us?.Change of venue and a chance to play regularly sure helped his cause..,

• wilcojoe said, on July 11, 2016 at 6:16 pm

It’s funny, since I have only been to five games ever at AT&T I usually spring for box seats behind the Giants dugout. While great seats, you can’t see the bridge let alone the bay. I was definitely a bit underwhelmed with the view. My first time there I sat in the club level behind home plate and those did give you a view of the bay if memory serves. I was so caught up in the excitement of being there that I can’t really remember.

41. Flavor said, on July 11, 2016 at 6:11 pm

CarGo looks like shit, he’s hitting ground balls lol. Seager’s out, Cargo is gassed for some reason and on a time out. I’m out out of the contest!

• wilcojoe said, on July 11, 2016 at 6:18 pm

Loo will cue a clip of the Seinfeld episode in 1…2….3….

42. zumiee said, on July 11, 2016 at 6:12 pm

How about Tim Duncan, retiring quietly with no fanfare. No protracted “goodbye tour” with gifts. Just like MacArthur, an old soldier fading away into the distance.

• Flavor said, on July 11, 2016 at 6:16 pm

yeah, I predicted this is how he was going out. There was no way he was doing that lame ass Kobe retirement thing. Talk about going out the way you played.

43. Flavor said, on July 11, 2016 at 6:15 pm

there’s Loo’s injury! That girl got blasted out there in RF. I doubt they show anything. It was during CarGo’s last hit. Again, WHY IS HE GASSED????????

• djloo27 said, on July 11, 2016 at 6:17 pm

Yeah, looked like she got clothes-lined by another kid.
      You think they make the parents sign disclaimers or something?

44. Flavor said, on July 11, 2016 at 6:17 pm

CarGo might be the worst conditioned athlete in baseball, lqtm…..How do you come from Col and be totally gassed in SD during what is basically BP? lol

• wilcojoe said, on July 11, 2016 at 6:19 pm

He must of pulled a Rowand and took 500 swings in the cage before it started.

• blade3colorado said, on July 11, 2016 at 6:27 pm

I caught his entire act on the PC. What an embarrassment. Gassed and from SherpaLand? Dude must be a closet smoker.

45. Flavor said, on July 11, 2016 at 6:19 pm

Berman said that one was “smothered.” Does he know what that word means? What does that word have to do with hitting a ball a long way? Idiot.

46. djloo27 said, on July 11, 2016 at 6:20 pm

I think the blonde girl is okay. Some other kid took a one-hopper off the shin…

• Flavor said, on July 11, 2016 at 6:27 pm

hope they put the girl through mlb concussion protocol, that seems like a very reliable test…..

• zumiee said, on July 11, 2016 at 6:31 pm

The MLB concussion protocol:
        “How many fingers am I holding up?”
        …..”12?”
        “You’re good to go.”

• Flavor said, on July 11, 2016 at 6:32 pm

“how old are you?”
        “11?”
        “go one higher..”
        “13?”
        “down one…”
        “12!”
        “you’re good to go kid, get back out there….”

47. Flavor said, on July 11, 2016 at 6:35 pm

Berman’s “Yikes!!!” needs to get retired immediately…….

48. alleykat69 said, on July 11, 2016 at 6:38 pm

Yikes back back back Yikes back back back yikes Freakin Berman needs to retire from any sport events!! ESPN, Pebble Beach apperances,This HR Derby for sure, he’s fucking killing me and I’m gonna go get my skink on now!!!’

49. wilcojoe said, on July 11, 2016 at 6:48 pm

Did Berman keel over? Why is Ravich doing the play by play now?

50. Irish Kevin said, on July 11, 2016 at 7:23 pm

So on KNBR Tolbert suggested the players use Aluminum bats, I would definitely watch, for one thing it would show why aluminum bats aren’t used in the Majors!! But it would be a show.

• Flavor said, on July 11, 2016 at 7:29 pm

they’re using juiced bats, what would be the point of using aluminum?

• snarkk said, on July 11, 2016 at 10:54 pm

I don’t doubt that there have been corked bats in these competitions…

51. wilcojoe said, on July 11, 2016 at 7:26 pm

That tall skiny kid has robbed Frazier of two homers and he just grabbed another one. Kick that little fucker off the field!

• Flavor said, on July 11, 2016 at 7:28 pm

and no one said a thing during the call. Unreal.

52. wilcojoe said, on July 11, 2016 at 7:31 pm

Berman doesn’t have the balls to say anything. What a joke! Frazier was pissed. He even asked in his first timeout why that didn’t count. Then it happened at least two more times.

• Flavor said, on July 11, 2016 at 7:51 pm

Berman didn’t even see it, he’s totally clueless. He’s just trying to keep his dye job from turning green again.

53. blade3colorado said, on July 11, 2016 at 7:54 pm

Where’s Unca? I hope he didn’t change his mind and go look for that contractor.

54. Flavor said, on July 11, 2016 at 8:28 pm

the *kid* who was catching those balls at the fence was 27 and a Loyola-M grad…. pathetic.

55. Macdog said, on July 11, 2016 at 8:49 pm

Frazier could’ve used Pagan or Williamson shagging those flies.

56. djloo27 said, on July 11, 2016 at 9:05 pm

When Panik comes back, I’d really like to see Pagan in the lead off slot and Span dropped way down in the order. This move is long overdue. The 2014 Span no longer exists. He’s had more than enough time…

57. snarkk said, on July 11, 2016 at 9:26 pm

I’m sitting on my deck with a post dinner glass of sherry and smoking a small Partagas Cuban “Chico”, not a bad smoke . I haven’t had a cigar in well over a year, and I don’t pay attention to my humidor much, but it’s pretty good as I read the Flapper discourse. Glad I’m not watching the HR derby, I’d just as soon read your reports. Do you guys realize how lucky we are to be Giants fans in this Golden Age? It has never been this good to be an SF Gigantes fan. This is Giants Nirvana time. Like a good Cuban smoke rolled on the thighs of virgins, it must be enjoyed and realized at the same time, as the experience is fleeting…

• unca_chuck said, on July 11, 2016 at 9:49 pm

Love it. Snarkk. I tell my son this very fact a lot.

No, Blade,and much as I’ve had sleepless nights plotting revenge, I’ve resisted. I know a lot of contractors, and have done a few large projects before, but have never been so fucked over by one fucking guy.

The fucking lien is still on the house but now he has 30 days to take it off or I go after him again and he’ll be forced fo pay my legal fees. It would almost be worth it….

• snarkk said, on July 11, 2016 at 10:47 pm

You’re a good man, Chuck. Instructing your son properly. You’re the Niner expert. I’m sure in the ’80s salad days you realized at the time that it was a magical period, likely never to be repeated in your lifetime, and that the moments at hand demanded to be enjoyed with that realization. I look back at those days with Joe and the gang, and though football was not my favorite sport, I realized and fully took in the moments then in real time — as special times to be savored. As Giants fans, we have been doing the same thing since 2010…

58. djloo27 said, on July 11, 2016 at 9:34 pm

It’s a 2 way street, Snarkk. They’re lucky to have me as a fan.
    47 years of loyalty and aggravation before 2010.
    I was an insomniac at age 7 because of them…

• snarkk said, on July 11, 2016 at 10:49 pm

Loyalty repaid in spades, Loo…

59. djloo27 said, on July 11, 2016 at 9:39 pm

Sherry? Sometimes, we date ourselves by what we drink.
    You should see the looks I get when I order a highball…

• snarkk said, on July 11, 2016 at 10:32 pm

Yeah, I’d rather have some nice vintage port with a cigar, but I’m out of port. When Mrs. snarkk and I were married up in Napa (20 years anniversary this October), her uncle by marriage gave us two bottles of 1945 Dow port for the post-wedding party. 1945 Dow. Let me say that again. 1945. Top shelf vintage port from the end of WWII. This stuff was friggin liquid GOLD. You sip that stuff to give it respect. My brother manned the big humidor and doled out all sorts of Cuban and other cigars of various sizes and vintages. One of the dudes attending poured a huge glass of the Dow, I was told, and slugged it like soda. Idiot. But, there were were lots of very attractive ladies smoking cigars that night, with that port. It was a blast. A great memory. That port was mind blowing — VE Day in a glass…

• dirtnrocksnomo said, on July 11, 2016 at 11:02 pm

Sounds good, snarkk. I’m a big fan of port too. A trip to Porto 15 years ago was a personal highlight.

60. sandog said, on July 11, 2016 at 9:52 pm

I’m in San Rafael hanging with my mom. Caught the last couple of rounds of HR derby only because I saw on ESPN.com the guys were rocking the brown and gold unis–which I dig.
    Chuck-sorry to hear about that nightmare. Also, my nephew is a little bummed he didn’t get any run on the Flap for buying you a beer the other night!
    Olberman? Can’t stand him in any of his formats.
    Kids shagging in the OF? I agree it is playing with fire and was glad to see Loo reset his position.
    Petco? I guess it is cool. Maybe cuz I l’ve gone there so much and am not a Pads fan, I don’t fully appreciate how nice it is. I have sat on the 3rd deck only of the Western Metal building and it is a good spot to watch a game. I do wish the exterior of Petco had a more distinctive look. Very neutral and just blends in with surrounding buildings. Also, I think the Western Metal building is a bit of a Camden Yards rip off–though admittedly done better.
    I’m off to read the Reno posts. My feelings on that place run hot and cold as well. It does seem to be the official raunchy getaway town of The Flap.

61. snarkk said, on July 11, 2016 at 10:33 pm

Petco is very nice. Park is good, sight lines good, left field warehouse wall deal is cool, and the Gaslamp district basically right next door is cool. But, still, ATT has it beat, IMO…

62. chipower9 said, on July 12, 2016 at 6:23 am

Well, as expected. I turned-on the boob tube long enough to see Frazier win his quarter-final, and then we left to take the dogs for a walk. That tells you where the HRD racks and stacks in my life. Hell, I don’t even know who won the damned thing. I will set the game up to record and will probably go back and jump into the game after I get home (workout after work, and then taking my dog to a barn hunt class).

SanD – I just saw your post above. Dude – you LIKE (well, you said you dig them) those baby-shit yellow and brown jerseys? Whoa…in my book those have been some of the ugliest unis ever. But I respect your eye…those colors just do not work for me. Looking forward to seeing you and your son in NYC. Damn, this time next week I will be close to final approach to Boston. Weeeeee Doggies – Let’s Get It On!

• alleykat69 said, on July 12, 2016 at 7:55 am

Actually Chi, you can throw on one of those butt ugly jerseys while having a hotdog with plenty of guilden’s mustard on it,and it doesn’t matter how much gets on you,it will still blend in well..

63. blade3colorado said, on July 12, 2016 at 8:15 am

No love after I called this? OK, OK, OK . . . He was favored. ๐Ÿ™‚

“Like Willie and LJ, I could give 2 shits about this competition (especially if Chris Berman drones on with his, โ€œback, back, back . . .โ€ bullshit).

Cargo doesnโ€™t have to worry about bendy stuff with batting practice pitches โ€“ going from the Himalayas to sea level, so that is in his favor. Additionally, similar to me when I go to the bay area and can double my usual 2 miles jog and feel like Superman, I would consider him insofar as the stamina factor.

However, I have to go with Stanton. Powerful, young, and even his near misses probably will go out of that graveyard in San Diego.”

• chipower9 said, on July 12, 2016 at 8:17 am

Good call, bro. Now get back and dog that contractor and have him make shit right!

64. chipower9 said, on July 12, 2016 at 8:18 am

Think I may have mentioned it Blade – I will be in Denver on binnez first week of September, and Giants are in town. Let’s plan on taking in a game!

• blade3colorado said, on July 12, 2016 at 8:24 am

Sounds good. Rockies will probably be in full face plant mode and we’ll be able to score some excellent cheap seats via scalpers.

65. unca_chuck said, on July 12, 2016 at 8:52 am

Hey Dog! Yeah, I forgot about that. When Allison came back from getting beers she mentioned your nephew ended up buying the beers because she couldn’t find her ID. The timing was perfect.

Tell him thanks!!

Chuck, we are going to the Sept 7th game in Colo with my wife’s cousin. I’ve already talked to Blade about it. Hopefully you’ll be there as well. That would be cool!

• blade3colorado said, on July 12, 2016 at 9:10 am

Thanks for the reminder. Down with that too Chuck!

66. unca_chuck said, on July 12, 2016 at 8:57 am

When I was in the Giants store last week, they had these hideous brown and yellow Giants hats that had the weird bubble-lower-case letters on them. For the life of me I couldn’t figure out WTF those were. Duh. As bad as the hats are, the unis are far worse.

• blade3colorado said, on July 12, 2016 at 9:10 am

Hideous is right. Man, I have seen better hats at the local Taco Bell.

67. Flavor said, on July 12, 2016 at 9:22 am