Winning for Yourself Or Your Team?

Posted in Uncategorized by Flavor on July 12, 2016

Did any of you catch that post HR Derby interview with Stanton? Near the end they asked him about the Marlins and he seemed kinda caught off guard and he wheeled out a bunch of cliches about staying focused, playing hard, etc…. I thought, “that’s a guy that doesn’t understand what it takes to win it all.” He seemed much more comfortable talking about himself and his awesome power and Derby victory. If I’m a Marlins fan I wouldn’t count on this dude to lead them to a WS ring…..

And you know what? I bet a lot of pro athlete studs are like that. They are constantly focused on their individual brand and raw numbers that they can parlay into a big contract but when it’s time to come together as a team and actually WIN SOMETHING they fall short. Cam Newton is a good example. I wonder, and I’m just basing this off that single interview that I watched, if Stanton isn’t a little like Cam Newton. And I seriously doubt if he has a “Hunter Pence” speech in him….

All Star Game today? Who you got? lulz.

I am in Del Mar this Friday and I have convinced San Dawg into coming with me and driving us to Opening Day in the greatest of style in his famous van that has a hole drilled into the side of the speedometer. For those of you who’ve never been, Opening Day at DM is where all the stars and beautiful people show up dressed to the nines and ready to shine. So I’m looking forward to the heads that will turn as we arrive in the awesomeness of that van. And I will exit our chariot locking eyes with and ferociously knowing dude head nodding anyone that dares to non-verbally question our preferred mode of transpo.

1. gianthead said, on July 12, 2016 at 9:27 am

Might be able to make that argument about Bonds as well. But Carmelo Anthony is probably the ultimate perfect example.

For Alleykat and comment about surprise with Duvall and his power.. I am for one very very suspicious. Lots of evidence that the ball has been messed with again by MLB. With ESPN and non-stop sports talk and coverage, you would think one of these “reporters” will actually report and cut open one of these balls and compare them to past balls

Also, I would not be surprised if there is some new designer juice that is out there undetectable….

2. Flavor said, on July 12, 2016 at 9:32 am

where I give huge credit to Stanton: I don’t know if I have this stat exactly correct, but I THINK I saw a graphic that he hit 20 of the longest 21 balls last night. That’s epic power. And he’s always had it so I have to assume he’s not juicing. But really, none of us know anything about what these guys are taking or not taking.

3. zumiee said, on July 12, 2016 at 9:35 am

Jose Fernandez said he would groove fastballs to Ortiz in the game so Ortiz can hit a huge HR.
    Why say that?

• Flavor said, on July 12, 2016 at 9:38 am

Did he really?

• zumiee said, on July 12, 2016 at 9:47 am

It was mentioned on ESPN. I don’t remember which show.

• Flavor said, on July 12, 2016 at 9:50 am

I’m assuming that was a joke but as you said, “why say that?” Now if he cranks one off you what will people think? And does Fernandez even understand the prize for winning the AS game?

4. chipower9 said, on July 12, 2016 at 10:10 am

Cool thread, Flav. Taking the SanDiggity van to OD at Delmar sounds awesome! I hope we see some picts in the Flap photo bucket.

From last thread – Blade and Unca, I am down with Sept. 7th for a game to catch our Giants in Denver. There are lower box seats on StubHub, behind the Giant’s dugout for less than $40. But yeah, we can check the scalp action, too.

5. wilcojoe said, on July 12, 2016 at 10:16 am

Fuck still pics, get one of those GoPro cameras and attach to your lid. I would love to see their expressions as you step out of that Van. Better yet, spend a couple extra bucks and valet the damn thing.

• Flavor said, on July 12, 2016 at 10:19 am

that place has some deep ass parking lots so I am happy to cover the valet charge in exchange for him driving us there in that glorious beast. I don’t have a go-pro but maybe Diggity does. That’s a great idea……

6. Flavor said, on July 12, 2016 at 10:17 am

Driving back into town yesterday, got a chance to listen to Larry Kreuger on KNBR. He does a show with Gary Radnich. Radnich is just awful, knows absolutely nothing. Anyway, Krueger was saying he watched the Futures game and said Bickford looked completely forgettable (Keith Law said same thing). Said kid was billed as 96-97 mph and was coming in at 91 with nothing special about any of his pitches. Said if Yanks wanted him for Miller the Giants should do it in a heartbeat. And Krueger is a pretty big homer and future games are his wheelhouse so for him to say that makes me think significantly less about young Bickford….

7. wilcojoe said, on July 12, 2016 at 10:20 am

My dad texted me this trivia question this morning. I guess he heard it on KNBR.

Which three Giants pitchers have started the All Star Game since the year 2000? I can’t belIeve I only got two right. I guessed wrong on one of them.

• Flavor said, on July 12, 2016 at 10:21 am

Schmidt, Timmy and Cueto?

• wilcojoe said, on July 12, 2016 at 10:23 am

I should have said three guys not including Cueto. You need one more.

• Flavor said, on July 12, 2016 at 10:26 am

completely struggling on the 3rd. See if someone else gets it. Regarding trivia, if I don’t know it immediately I rarely come up with it.

• sfsarge said, on July 12, 2016 at 11:17 am

Schmidt, Timmy, Cainer?

• wilcojoe said, on July 12, 2016 at 11:43 am

Yep that’s it. I completley forgot about Cain starting.

• Flavor said, on July 12, 2016 at 12:25 pm

Agreed. I still don’t remember it.

8. Flavor said, on July 12, 2016 at 10:32 am

today in ’79 Disco Demolition Night happened. I was a little too young to hear about it at the time but have obviously heard about it since. Sounds like a perfectly 70’s thing to happen….

9. Carstie Clausen said, on July 12, 2016 at 10:51 am

Why are the Giants currently on top? Several good reasons, but #1 is the pitching staff, led by the best One-Two punch in MLB.

Statistically SF is no better than fifth in ERA at 3.55, 7th in Saves at 26, 9th in hits given up at 752 and also 9th in strikeouts with a mediocre 696.

Offsetting the less than stellar stats are these. Of course we are #1 in Wins and flipside in losses. Giants also happen to lead in innings pitched with a total of 813 frames. But that still does not explain much.

How about ranking #3 in fewest home runs given up? What about 4th best in BAA, a pallid .245 by opposition batters. Also fourth in WHIP at a respectable 1.24. Take that third ranking in giving up dingers and add to it being #2 in Bases on Balls and the focus gets a bunch tighter.

Now let’s cut to the crux ~ our Rotation’s One-Two punch.

#2 in the NL in WHIP is the current ML leader in One-Hitters: Madison Bumgarner has given up a ratio of 0.96 walks and hits per inning. Coming in 5th with an average of ONE walk or hit per is Johnny Cueto.

Batting Average Against our guys are not top five. Bum is tied for the #4 spot with a BAA of .197. Those opposition hitters really rake Cueto, hitting him at a .224 clip, moderately above the Mendoza Line. He rates #12 in the league in that category.

Strikeouts: Bum #3 with 146 Special K’s. Cueto in a tie for 9th in the NL with 115 clippings.

It gets kinda intriguing with hits given up vs innings pitched. Cueto has given up the 12th most hits (107) among NL starters. A good part of that stat is that he LEADS the league with 131.1 IP. The matchup, then, is waay under a hit per inning with 107 tallies against him in nearly 25 more innings pitched. Who is number two in IP? Bumgarner, of course, totaling 129.2 IP, over which he has ceded 93 base knocks to rank as # 30 in the Senior Circuit.

ERA: Opie for the LaBumbos is the usual suspect as league leader. None of his rotation teammates is even close to his stats. Kershaw’s only close competitor is MadBum with a not too shabby Earned Run Average of 1.94. Far behind for third place is Johnny Cueto with a 2.47 in pitching’s primary statistical category.

So here’s the take: When you have a couple guys who are flat out dominant leading your rotation, your team is essentially assured of winning two of every 5 games on a steady basis. If the remainder of the starters are better than dogshit and you do not have a chunk of swiss cheese for a bullpen, chances are that your boys are good for an additional win out of the remaining 3 games. Add that up over a season, winning 3 outta five gets you a 97 win season.

A 97 win season should get it done for Los Gigantes. You just read the math. See if you can find any holes in the prognostication.

• zumiee said, on July 12, 2016 at 12:50 pm

With Kershaw’s questionable back situation, and Arrieta faltering a bit, Bum and Cueto are putting themselves into the Cy Young conversation. Strasburg is also having a great season, and a few others are notable, too, so it’ll be interesting to see how it all pans out. Lots of CY contenders this season.

• chipower9 said, on July 13, 2016 at 8:09 am

Good observation, Zume. Would love to see Bum get one!

10. alleykat69 said, on July 12, 2016 at 11:43 am

To me I have to give credit to Stanton for even participating in the HR Derby. He didn’t have too,and he wasn’t even voted in as a all-star, so he could of told whoever to fuck off, “I’m gonna bang chicks for four days”
    Instead he made the event special with his prostigious bombs of 497ft juiced are not? that was some awesome display that made the event somewhat watchable when it wouldn’t have been if he bailed out and were forced to watch the other chumps…

• Flavor said, on July 12, 2016 at 12:24 pm

I’m sure he’s still banging chicks for 4 days

• gianthead said, on July 12, 2016 at 12:51 pm

Or banging 4 chicks for days…

• unca_chuck said, on July 12, 2016 at 3:46 pm

Or banging 4 chicks for 4 days

11. zumiee said, on July 12, 2016 at 12:24 pm

A couple of baseball players that come to my mind about not getting the concept of winning are Adam LaRoche and Brandon Phillips. LaRoche quit because he was going to have to reduce the amount of time his son was in the clubhouse, and Phillips used his contract rights to refuse a trade to a contender last season. I don’t get that. Those two guys would probably say they really want to win, but their actions speak otherwise. Hey, it doesn’t mean they’re bad guys, far from it; it just means that the full drive to win a championship just isn’t there with them.

12. blade3colorado said, on July 12, 2016 at 12:58 pm

Sounds like Loo is going to be at the Yankees game with us. Ditto for Pawlie, SanDog, Unca and Mac. Wondering why Flappers across the globe can meet and break bread, but whites, blacks, Russians, Chinese, United States, Muslims, Christians, and fill in the blank (of your choice) can’t do the same. Very sad.

• wilcojoe said, on July 12, 2016 at 1:32 pm

It really is remarkable if you step back and think about it. There are what, 20 or so regular Flappers that contribute here? To have that many from various parts of the country commit to meeting at a game, not to mention the numerous other meet ups that have occurred is amazing.

But yeah, pics of Loo or it didn’t happen. 😜

• chipower9 said, on July 13, 2016 at 8:14 am

I hear you Wilco. I have been blessed to meet up with a number of the regulars on multiple occasions. It is VERY COOL, and something I will never take for granted…gonna ride it while it is here. But it is very special, and thanks again to Craig for bringing us all together.

Picture of Loo? That will totally be on him. But I am so looking forward to meeting Mac and Loo. I have met Pawlie a couple of times, along with Blade, and SanDog once (and other local Flappers like Zumiee, Unca, Ewisco, snarrk, etc.). It should be a riot on the right coast. And yes…there will be some pictures and video.

13. unca_chuck said, on July 12, 2016 at 1:25 pm

I’m out for the Yankees game, sorry to say. Shit! I’m missing meeting DJ? Now I’m really pissed. That contractor situation ate into a lot of money and it blew that trip out of the water.

We do already have our tix for the Colo. game on 9/7 though. I’ll try to figure out where the seats are.

• chipower9 said, on July 13, 2016 at 8:16 am

Let us know Charlie, and I will try to score some tix near you guys. Blade has committed, and I plan to go with a woman I work with (she works in our Denver office)…may be a few others from the Denver office. They are all Rox fans, of course. Hopefully our Giants will provide a beat-down.

14. gianthead said, on July 12, 2016 at 1:37 pm

I forgot to weigh in on the Padreesque unis for the home run derby…I loved it. They should wear clown outfits next year and maybe some S&M gear the year after…

• chipower9 said, on July 13, 2016 at 8:24 am

I second the S&M gear! lulz…

15. zumiee said, on July 12, 2016 at 2:03 pm

The Crawfords posted what they’re doing during the All Star break.

16. zumiee said, on July 12, 2016 at 2:12 pm

I don’t remember Schmidt and Timmy starting the All Star Game, but Cain starting is the one I do remember. 2012, he was the winning pitcher, Sandoval tripled off of Verlander in an act of foreshadowing, and Melky won a car, a few weeks before ending his Giants career.

• zumiee said, on July 12, 2016 at 2:17 pm

What a year for Cain. He also threw a perfect game, and pitched well in the playoffs, winning another championship.

17. unca_chuck said, on July 12, 2016 at 2:42 pm

Did Timmy ever start? Didn’t he get ‘food poisoning’ for that start? Or did he start the next year?

18. wilcojoe said, on July 12, 2016 at 3:23 pm

Timmy started in 2009. I just went and checked the historical starters for the All Star Game. It’s seems like a third of the starters have played for the Giants at one time. Guys like Peavy, Penny, The Big Unit, Mullholand, Reuschel and many more.

• Macdog said, on July 12, 2016 at 3:35 pm

I was checking out All-Star game stuff and saw Bartolo Colon was the winning pitcher in ’98 at Coors. That’d be cool if he could end up as the winning pitcher tonight and achieve it in two different centuries.

19. unca_chuck said, on July 12, 2016 at 3:44 pm

Don’t forget Atlee. Well, that is better off forgotten. 7 runs and 2 outs . . .

• zumiee said, on July 12, 2016 at 3:59 pm

I don’t know if he’s ever talked much about that game, but he seemed traumatized by it. I could be wrong.

• zumiee said, on July 12, 2016 at 4:01 pm

Some players can blow that kind of thing right off, and not worry about it.

• snarkk said, on July 12, 2016 at 4:48 pm

I heard Laskey the other day say that Atlee pitched a full 9 or maybe 10 innings game right before the AS game. In those days there was no rule on not playing pitchers that just pitched. Lasky said the Gyros pitchers told Atlee to go, but forget pitching due to his arm being tired, but he refused and went ahead to pitch, with bad results…

• chipower9 said, on July 13, 2016 at 8:26 am

Atlee Got Hammered did not start the AS game, did he? Yes…one to forget. (Obviously, I have forgot the details.)

20. zumiee said, on July 12, 2016 at 4:03 pm

The Giants did that so well in 2014. They lost Game 6 of the World Series 10-0, and came right back in Game 7 to get the victory. Easy to take that kind of resilience for granted, but it’s unique.

• djloo27 said, on July 12, 2016 at 4:36 pm

1960 Pirates – ask Twin…

21. djloo27 said, on July 12, 2016 at 4:34 pm

Pete Rose looks like he’s been embalmed…

• snarkk said, on July 12, 2016 at 4:45 pm

Could be an improvement to some of his looks in the past…

• Carstie Clausen said, on July 12, 2016 at 5:14 pm

He can still probably afford top-shelf embalming fluid. He seems like the Bourbon type.

22. wilcojoe said, on July 12, 2016 at 5:22 pm

So their playing in an NL ballpark yet the American League is the home team? I am assuming the league that’s wins the previous year’s World Series gets to be the home team?

23. wilcojoe said, on July 12, 2016 at 5:23 pm

I guess Joe Buck reads the flap! He just answered my question.

• gianthead said, on July 12, 2016 at 6:29 pm

Wasn’t back to back years in an NL park?

• wilcojoe said, on July 12, 2016 at 7:08 pm

Yeah, they didn’t have any more new American League parks so it’s all NL for the next couple of years.

24. Flavor said, on July 12, 2016 at 5:23 pm

I have no idea who randy jones is. SD, outside of Gwynn, has a pretty sad baseball history……

• snarkk said, on July 12, 2016 at 5:49 pm

Best starting pitcher in Pads history, unless I’m forgetting somebody. I think he won a Cy one year?…

• wilcojoe said, on July 12, 2016 at 5:51 pm

Peavy won a CY Young with the Pads.

• alleykat69 said, on July 12, 2016 at 6:04 pm

I remember Randy Jones well.He was a junk balling white guy with an Afro. Dude had 2 great years 75-76 when he won 20 games then 22 and won the Cy Young in 76 after finishing 2nd in 75..
        But he stunk after that and his career record was something like 100-125?

• snarkk said, on July 12, 2016 at 7:46 pm

Thanks Kat. I was pretty sure he won a Cy; that was a while ago…

25. wilcojoe said, on July 12, 2016 at 5:36 pm

This might be the only day of the year, Marlin Man doesn’t look out of place in his stupid garb.

• Flavor said, on July 12, 2016 at 5:41 pm

Marlin Man doesn’t bother me. I don’t buy into his schtick. I think he’s funny on his phone all the time. He ain’t gettin’ me! 🙂 🙂

26. Macdog said, on July 12, 2016 at 5:52 pm

Looks like Cueto might finally lose in San Diego.

27. wilcojoe said, on July 12, 2016 at 5:53 pm

Uh-oh, Cueto pulling a Hammaker.

28. alleykat69 said, on July 12, 2016 at 5:54 pm

Shit sure hope Cueto doesn’t turn into Atlee Hammaker in the 2nd half. That’s 2 grooved bombs given up..

• zumiee said, on July 12, 2016 at 6:00 pm

He’s got the perfect personality to just blow it off.

• alleykat69 said, on July 12, 2016 at 6:06 pm

Yeah Zumie, Cueto’s probably gonna fire up a bong and move on…

29. zumiee said, on July 12, 2016 at 5:59 pm

Cueto got a little roughed up, no bigee. Left a few pitches up against an All Star lineup.

30. alleykat69 said, on July 12, 2016 at 6:12 pm

I got Joe Sucks trivia question on who drove in Tony Gywnn with the GW hit..
    Pretty sure it was Moises Alou.,

• gianthead said, on July 12, 2016 at 6:26 pm

Piazza I think was the answer

• gianthead said, on July 12, 2016 at 6:31 pm

Never mind..I missed the game winning hit part of the ?…

31. wilcojoe said, on July 12, 2016 at 6:18 pm

Is that a piece of toilet paper on Hammel’s chin? Like he cut himself shaving? I have a great picture somewhere of Harry Carey with about three pieces of those on his face from a Giants on field photo day in the mid eighties at Candlestick. They were playing the Cubs and he came down to shake hands and take pix with the fans. His hair was all disheveled, he looked like he just woke up. My parents probably have that picture in a box somewhere.

32. gianthead said, on July 12, 2016 at 6:25 pm

How Reuschelesque for Cueto…

• bassbaldy said, on July 12, 2016 at 6:59 pm

Curto always seems to take a few innings to get in his zone … He’s been like that for us a lot this year.

33. gianthead said, on July 12, 2016 at 6:32 pm

I don’t care Flav, if I am anywhere near Marlin Man he is getting a beer over his head…of course has to be live on air…

34. zumiee said, on July 12, 2016 at 7:21 pm

Addison Russell, 0 for 2, with 3 runners left on base. Great job, Cubs fans.

• alleykat69 said, on July 12, 2016 at 7:34 pm

Then again Cueto’s on the hook for the loss giving up 2 bombs is what the Cub fans are sayin..

35. wilcojoe said, on July 12, 2016 at 7:35 pm

The dude singing God Bless America had pretty good range but it sounded like he was singing with peanut butter stuck on the roof of his mouth.

• alleykat69 said, on July 12, 2016 at 7:41 pm

Agree WJ ,
      Which brand Skippy?,Jif? are a combo that’s liquid and peanut butter?

36. alleykat69 said, on July 12, 2016 at 7:37 pm

Can of corn for Crawford!
    Not for a freakin Dodger!
    Way to screw up Seager!

37. wilcojoe said, on July 12, 2016 at 7:39 pm

Come on Lester. Do we really need to see another Cub in the game?

38. salviaguru said, on July 12, 2016 at 7:44 pm

Where is Brandon Belt?

• wilcojoe said, on July 12, 2016 at 7:52 pm

Facing his future teammate.

• djloo27 said, on July 12, 2016 at 7:56 pm

Would you give them Parker, Strickland and a top prospect?

• wilcojoe said, on July 12, 2016 at 8:06 pm

I would try to hold onto Parker, but there is no one else down there that excites me, so I have no problem dealing a top 5 prospect.
        I just don’t see Sabevans making that big of a move. I think he wil go get the next Affeldt and Lopez type for a lot less. There are too many affordable, quality relievers to be had for a lot less.

• djloo27 said, on July 12, 2016 at 8:14 pm

I feel like Parker is not in the Giants future plans.
        Not sure why I feel that way…

39. alleykat69 said, on July 12, 2016 at 7:54 pm

How stupid is Collins?
    Sending up Belt against one of the toughest lefties in the AL??
    Wtf can he not see who’s starting the inning off???

• wilcojoe said, on July 12, 2016 at 7:57 pm

I was thinking the same thing but I didn’t realize they were down to just one position player. Pretty early to have burned thru so many hitters.

40. unca_chuck said, on July 12, 2016 at 7:56 pm

Hah!

41. unca_chuck said, on July 12, 2016 at 8:00 pm

The Pads had by bad Dave Winfild for quite a while. And they made the big Ozzie Smth for Gary Templetonntrade. And of course Steve who’s your Padre?

42. zumiee said, on July 12, 2016 at 8:04 pm

I wanted to see Seager with the bases loaded there. It would have been a cool moment. Collins didn’t have a sense of the moment.

43. zumiee said, on July 12, 2016 at 8:08 pm

All three NL shortstops blew chunks. Revenge of the Craw!

44. wilcojoe said, on July 12, 2016 at 8:09 pm

This Will Harris of the Astros is EXACTlLY the type of guy Sabevans should and likely will go after. A no-name non-closer that throws strikes and knows how to get outs.

45. zumiee said, on July 12, 2016 at 8:10 pm

Strike one call to Diaz was a joke.
    But there’s no excuse for Diaz taking that called third strike.

• James said, on July 12, 2016 at 8:17 pm

That was a prime example of how one horribly incompetent call can turn 5 straight pitches out of the strike zone into a 3-2 count.

• James said, on July 12, 2016 at 8:22 pm

And, yes, that is an excuse 😄

46. James said, on July 12, 2016 at 8:15 pm

Is Rodney the original crooked hat motherfucker? Still my favorite Loo locution.

47. wilcojoe said, on July 12, 2016 at 8:28 pm

Oh well. It wouldn’t be the first time we won the World Series without home field advantage.

48. Paul Sorensen said, on July 12, 2016 at 8:51 pm

Yeah, Joe, I was thinking the same thing. I was also thinking that seeing some Royals hit HRs off Johnny C. reminds me that of all the current AL division leaders or leader-wannabe’s, KC is the one team I would not want to face again in the World Series; not because of the HRs in the All Star game, just overall. And I wonder, just how many of those players in the game tonight really cared about the *home field advantage* in the Series? I’m guessing that if they haven’t been there recently, perhaps it’s not a big deal to them. To the players on recently successful teams, probably more so.

• James said, on July 12, 2016 at 9:08 pm

I’d love to face the Royals again. Our narrative is more powerful than theirs!

49. djloo27 said, on July 12, 2016 at 9:10 pm

Wonder if this outing throws Cueto off schedule.
    Would he still pitch Saturday after Bum on Friday?

• zumiee said, on July 12, 2016 at 9:13 pm

I would think he’s still on schedule. They normally throw a side session between starts anyway.

50. zumiee said, on July 12, 2016 at 9:18 pm

A couple of Trump-voters out having fun:

• chipower9 said, on July 13, 2016 at 8:32 am

LMAO…I didn’t know Trump had any voters with this much intelligence.

51. djloo27 said, on July 12, 2016 at 9:24 pm

I ‘d like to see Smzdja or Peavy or Suarez start Friday and push everyone back at least a day or two.
    Is it necessary to wheel Bum right back for a mid-season game against SD?
    Then Cueto on short rest?
    Our big two have thrown a lot of innings already…

• zumiee said, on July 12, 2016 at 11:20 pm

Bochy wants slam-dunk wins vs. the Padres.
      He’s also got two off days next week to play around with if he wants to.

52. snarkk said, on July 12, 2016 at 9:53 pm

Didn’t see or hear this exhibition. Cueto apparently didn’t do real well against ex-teammates. Meh. Giving the league winning this meaningless game the WS home field is just stoopid. Why does MLB do stoopid things that any rational baseball fan would NOT do? Has to be a money angle somewhere, that’s the reason. I just don’t see it. Simple decisions for Home field advantage make way too much sense — the team of the final two with the more wins gets home field; the league that wins the season’s interleague play gets home field — reasonable solutions that are grounded in fairness, in meritocracy. Sometimes I’d just like to kick sports executives out of the way and let the Flap decide what to do — a Flap consensus would always be the right decision…

53. snarkk said, on July 12, 2016 at 9:56 pm

And WTF is the AL doing being the “home” team in an NL team venue? Stoopid all around…

• zumiee said, on July 12, 2016 at 11:11 pm

The distribution of home parks for the All Star game is not an exact science. The biggest factor is making sure the newer ballparks get their chance. Because of that, there will be a few NL parks in a row, and to keep things fair, the AL needed to be the home team this time.

• zumiee said, on July 12, 2016 at 11:15 pm

Last year, the Reds hosted it; in ’17 the Marlins, and in ’18 the Nationals.

• snarkk said, on July 12, 2016 at 11:29 pm

I still think it’s stoopid…
        😉

• chipower9 said, on July 13, 2016 at 8:36 am

I second on the stoopidity. Have a Hop Stoopid (from Lagunitas) and fuhgetaboutit!

54. zumiee said, on July 12, 2016 at 11:29 pm

SF Giants have hosted the ASG three times. Candlestick, ’61 and ’84, and AT&T, ’07.
    Strangely enough, Dodger Stadium only once, in ’80. And the LA Coliseum in ’59, before Dodger Stadium was completed.

• zumiee said, on July 12, 2016 at 11:46 pm

Maybe Dodger Stadium hasn’t modernized enough for MLB.

• gianthead said, on July 13, 2016 at 6:10 am

Fodgers probably muck up a cable deal and no one would be able to see the all star game..

55. chipower9 said, on July 13, 2016 at 8:39 am

I am ready to get back to meaningful ball. I did not even watch last night. I went to work out after work, and then took my dog to a practice session for barn hunt. Had intended to t-up the game when I got home, but when I got in the truck, I heard that Johnny C had given up a few runs and I said fuck it. I am definitely not a fan of the HRD, and can take or leave the AS game. They should just give all the players a few days off and shitcan the whole kabootle.

56. snarkk said, on July 13, 2016 at 9:31 am

Cueto talk on the radio today. His pre and post AS break splits for career are pretty different w Era, about 1 run higher in post break. Not sure if that is different from a lot of starters — logic says your arm tires as the season goes along…

57. alleykat69 said, on July 13, 2016 at 11:50 am

Snarrk totally agree with you on AL being the home team last night it’s stoopid !!!
    And the late night host on KNBR nationwide late show Amy Lawrence was saying the same thing last night that it was ludicrous..

58. blade3colorado said, on July 13, 2016 at 12:02 pm

Welcome break . . . Like a few others, I didn’t watch the game. No. Interest. At. All.

In fact, I would say on a 1-10 scale of interest for the HR derby and the All Star game, I’d give a 5 for the HR Derby (I watched part of it) and a 2 for the All Star game.

zzzzz . . .

59. blade3colorado said, on July 13, 2016 at 12:15 pm

Also, one other thing . . . A friend told me that a pitcher (not certain who) was going to “groove” one in for Ortiz to hit out. If that is true, then it’s beyond the pale. The pitcher should be suspended (especially, if he did do this . . . Not certain if it’s just talk). Regardless, tools like this don’t even deserve to wear a AS uniform, much less a MLB uniform. I put these assholes in the same category as the Harpers of the world, who infamously said, “Baseball’s tired. It’s a tired sport, because you can’t express yourself. You can’t do what people in other sports do.” Uhh, go find another sport then chump . . . Give me the Trouts, Paniks, Crawfords, and Duffys of the world every day and twice on Sunday.

End of rant.

• wilcojoe said, on July 13, 2016 at 12:42 pm

It was Jose Fernandez of the Marlins. Fortunately Big Papi faced Cueto who grooved him a fastball that he lined out to first base on. Of course Cueto was grooving fastballs to all last night. He was a real equal opportunist.

• wilcojoe said, on July 13, 2016 at 12:47 pm

But Fernandez did walk him in his second AB. Ortiz then was replaced by a Pinch runner so he could get a standing ovation walking off the field.

60. chipower9 said, on July 13, 2016 at 1:19 pm

I am with Blade, and have said as much, I have no interest in the whole damned AS gig. Although, I am a bit different than Blade in that I would rate the game itself higher on my windscreen than the HRD, as the game is, well, it IS baseball (even though it is watered down baseball). Get me back to games that matter in the standings, and will ultimately decide who is crowned WS Champions, and then you will have my attention. Okay, end of my rant, too.

How about that Euro final last weekend when Portugal knocked off the French?! Seriously, I did watch that game, and would rather watch something like that than the AS shenanigans.

61. Macdog said, on July 13, 2016 at 2:09 pm

There’s one reason and one reason only why Selig wanted the All-Star Game to mean something with home field for the World Series at stake — and it ain’t working:

NEW YORK – The baseball All-Star Game has drawn a record-low television rating for the second straight year.

The American League’s 4-2 victory over the NL in San Diego on Tuesday night got a 5.4 rating on Fox. The previous low was 6.6 last year for the game in Cincinnati.

• zumiee said, on July 13, 2016 at 2:39 pm

It needs more in-game interviews! (kidding)

62. unca_chuck said, on July 13, 2016 at 2:14 pm

Chuck, Atlee gave up the only grand slam in ASG history, to Freddy Lynn. 7 runs in 2/3 of an inning.

Yeah, the ASG is a pretty ho-hum affair these days. They used to be exciting in the 60s-70s as the players really cared.

In the 80s-90s it all seemed to be a party. Fun and games (see Bonds carrying Torii Hunter around after Hunter robbed Bonds of a HR).

Now, the fun has been sucked out of it, and with all the player movement, and interleague play, all the intrigue as well.

• djloo27 said, on July 13, 2016 at 2:31 pm

Plus we ain’t innocent little kids flipping baseball cards anymore…

• chipower9 said, on July 13, 2016 at 2:37 pm

There is that, too, Loo.

63. unca_chuck said, on July 13, 2016 at 2:16 pm

Chuck, what was the deal with Portulag? I stumbled across 2 soccer guys talking about the finals and they said it was a disgrace to the game. Said soccer has been set back 20 years by the style of play, or some shit.

Didn’t watch a second of any of it, so I don’t even know what that means. Didn’t they play the same way 20 years ago?

• djloo27 said, on July 13, 2016 at 2:32 pm

Are you talking to yourself, Chuck?

• zumiee said, on July 13, 2016 at 2:36 pm

Chi’s name is Chuck, also.

• unca_chuck said, on July 13, 2016 at 2:54 pm

Chi is Chuck

Chuck is Charlie

I Don’t Know is on 3rd

• chipower9 said, on July 13, 2016 at 2:44 pm

I do not follow soccer (and sorry for all the hard-cores…I will NOT refer to it as football) religiously, but do like to follow the big matches like the Euro championship that just went down, and also the World Cup. I know that Portugal plays a slowed-down game…very defensive in nature, and know that a lot of folks do not care for that brand of soccer, so I suspect that was the bitch. Whatevah…

64. alleykat69 said, on July 13, 2016 at 2:40 pm

Lmao Loo!!
    I was thinking the same thing..
    Chuck’s dementia is kicking in to another Chuck that doesn’t exist…

• chipower9 said, on July 13, 2016 at 2:46 pm

Yes…to Flappers outside the Flap who I have communicated with/met, my name is Chuck. And actually, Unca, while his handle here contains “Chuck” and he answers to such, goes by Charlie. Now, is everyone thoroughly confused? If so, you are welcome! 😉

65. alleykat69 said, on July 13, 2016 at 2:42 pm

Oh in that case just “Chuck” my last post…

66. chipower9 said, on July 13, 2016 at 2:47 pm

I’m ready for a cocktail. Make mine a double! Moscow Mule, please.

67. unca_chuck said, on July 13, 2016 at 2:55 pm

Chi is Chuck

Chuck is Charlie

I Don’t Know is on 3rd

• zumiee said, on July 13, 2016 at 3:02 pm

• chipower9 said, on July 13, 2016 at 3:22 pm

YES! LMAO…

68. djloo27 said, on July 13, 2016 at 2:59 pm

I guess with the off days next week, it’s too soon to speculate on the starting pitchers in Boston & New York.
    Unless someone wants to…

• zumiee said, on July 13, 2016 at 3:04 pm

Sure, why not.
      Peavy and Cain in Boston (yikes), and Bum, Cueto, Smardj in NY.

• Macdog said, on July 13, 2016 at 3:15 pm

Not sure about the rest, but I would hope MadBum gets a start at Yankee Stadium since he’s the only lefty in the rotation.

69. Flavor said, on July 13, 2016 at 3:08 pm

new thread

70. unca_chuck said, on July 13, 2016 at 3:16 pm

? ? ?

71. wilcojoe said, on July 13, 2016 at 3:21 pm

Speaking of lack interest in something sports related, I applaud Rory Mcilroy for his blunt comments about why he isn’t playing in the Olympics. He said exactly what I have been thinking the whole time in regards to why so many golfers not to mention NBA players are deciding not to head to Rio. It has nothing to do with the threat of mosquito bites or kidnappings. The bottom line is athletes in those two sports just don’t give a rats ass about the Olympics. And why should they?

As he aptly said, put the focus and attention on the swimmers, track and field athletes, and all the other competitors whose lifelong dream is to win a gold medal. To think that a PGA golfer or NBA baller should actually care about the Olympics is asinine. Well done Rory! In fact the Olympic officials should be much more concerned about the deplorable conditions that exist in those shitty waters they call Olympic venues.