Dark Days of Summer

Posted in Uncategorized by Flavor on July 14, 2016

All work and no play makes Flavor a dull boy. All work and no play makes Flavor a dull boy. All work and no play makes Flavor a dull boy. All work and no play makes Flavor a dull boy. All work and no play makes Flavor a dull boy. All work and no play makes Flavor a dull boy. All work and no play makes Flavor a dull boy. All work and no play makes Flavor a dull boy. All work and no play makes Flavor a dull boy. All work and no play makes Flavor a dull boy. All work and no play makes Flavor a dull boy.

Huh? What? Oh, sorry, must have dozed off there for a sec. I really count on having baseball around for the Summer. It’s always there in the background. They talk about it constantly on KNBR, the only radio station I ever listen to. I spend at least 3 hours of my free time each day on building DFS line ups. And of course the near-daily actual Giants game that gets played.

So on this, the 4th day of no real baseball, I am running on fumes. Need something that’s not a HR Derby HR or a bunch of guys running around in phony, ugly looking uni’s or an ESPY…..

1. zumiee said, on July 14, 2016 at 9:02 am

Eric Stephen covers the Dodgers, and he posted a long piece yesterday regarding the final 71 games for the Dodgers, and their chances of catching the Giants. Here are some excerpts of the long article. The whole article was about twice as long as this:

“The Dodgers probably aren’t going to win the National League West in 2016. Let’s get that out of the way first. But if they are to overcome their 6½-game deficit over the final 71 games of the season, here is what lies ahead.
    Baseball Prospectus gives the Dodgers a 28.9-percent chance to win the division, while FanGraphs says LA has a 25.2-percent chance to finish atop the NL West.
    Those numbers feel right to me. Even if you think the Dodgers are the superior team going forward, the Giants have built themselves a nice cushion with their 6½-game lead.
    Since the schedule expanded to 162 games in 1962, the Dodgers have finished at least tied for first place at the end of a season after trailing with 71 games left six times (1962, 1980, 1983, 1995, 2006, 2013), but the largest deficit with 71 games remaining in those years was four games.

Remaining schedules
    First, here are some simple facts:
    The Dodgers have 33 home games left, and 38 road games. The Giants have 35 home games, and 37 road games remaining.
    The two teams play each other in nine more games — August 23-25 in LA, September 19-21 in LA, and the final three games of the regular season (September 30 – October 2) in San Francisco. The Giants have won six of their 10 head-to-head meetings so far in 2016.
    Outside of their games against each other, the Dodgers play 21 teams currently at .500 or better (9 at home, 12 on the road), and the Giants play 33 such games (18 at home, 15 on the road).

Here is a super simplified look at what each team has left:
    Common games (32)
    Three games each at home against the Padres, Padres, and Rockies; two home games against the Diamondbacks; three road games each against the Padres, Rockies, Diamondbacks, Yankees, Phillies, Nationals and Marlins.

Same opponent, different venue (13)
    Cardinals: Dodgers 3 games in St. Louis, Giants 4 games in San Francisco
    Red Sox: Dodgers 3 games in Los Angeles, Giants 2 games in Boston
    Reds: Dodgers 4 games in Cincinnati, Giants 3 games in San Francisco
    Cubs: Dodgers 3 games in Los Angeles, Giants 4 games in Chicago

Unique opponents
    in order of opponents records
    Dodgers (17): Philles (3 at home), Rockies (1 at home, 3 on road), Diamondbacks (4 at home, 4 on road), Rays (2 at home)
    Giants (18): Nationals (4 at home), Orioles (3 at home), Mets (4 at home), Padres (4 on road), Braves (3 at home)

2. zumiee said, on July 14, 2016 at 9:08 am

That last sentence is crucially important. “The unique opponents is where the Giants have the much tougher schedule, but all 11 of their unique games against winning teams are in San Francisco.” Even good opponents often struggle to look comfortable at AT&T Park.

3. blade3colorado said, on July 14, 2016 at 9:09 am

I read Zumiee’s post about Spain and Portugal . . . Spices = today’s marijuana and cocaine.

• zumiee said, on July 14, 2016 at 9:21 am

Good analogy. The Asian spices took Europe by incredible storm. The only difference being that the spices were legal, but that’s changing with regards to marijuana in the U.S., of course, and has already changed in some states.
      Marijuana legalization will be on the California ballot again this November. The younger generations want it legalized, the older generations not so much; but the older generations have a way of dying off, so it’s pretty clear where the trend is heading.

• Carstie Clausen said, on July 14, 2016 at 11:04 am

Back in ’99 i produced a t-shirt which read “Voter demografix = victory for hemp”. Still have a few left as it went waaay over the heads of the target market. I have this incredible problem with timing. Most egregious was in my first professional position after dropping outta the U. of Minnesota with 5 credits to go for an honors in history. It was with an ad agency and as a copywriter i attempted to convince the agency to hit on G. Heileman Brewery in LaCrosse, Wisconsin to produce and market to bars in Midwestern college towns a domestically produced dark beer (not a single one existed at that time (1968).

That all said, i have read that there is a poison pill ensconced within the upcoming initiative on cannabis legalization in Cali. Memory not exact on that, but pharma corporations stand to make out like bandits. it is essential for Californians of good will to carefully read all the verbiage in the initiative before going all Lady Gaga on it.

4. Flavor said, on July 14, 2016 at 9:27 am

I don’t smoke pot, at least I haven’t in 20 years. And I get the medicinal purposes. But I will say this: the people I know who smoke pot everyday? They get jack shit done. And then sit around wondering why they can’t get or hold a job.

• zumiee said, on July 14, 2016 at 9:39 am

Yeah, I have several concerns about it getting legalized. A superficial concern I have is that I don’t like the smell of it. The thought of that stinky smell being all over the place in the state kind of bothers me.
      The thought of somebody driving while high on marijuana and crashing into me and killing me is kind of a concern, too. It’s already bad enough out there with people drinking and driving, texting and driving, and now playing Pokemon and driving.

• blade3colorado said, on July 14, 2016 at 9:41 am

Worst thing that has ever happened to Colorado, albeit, it has benefited me and others real estate wise. However, as soon as they legalize it in other states, the bubble will burst here. I and others are regretting our vote to legalize here. Why? Many, if not most of the new arrivals to our State, are slackers without jobs, i.e., only here to get high. Not enough housing (rental or otherwise). Consequently, many are rooming up with others to afford the high rents. Most Americans (90% it has been estimated) have no idea of what the term, “gig economy” means. Perhaps, some of you don’t either. This is what is going on in Colorado. Here is a good article about it . . . http://www.pri.org/stories/2016-07-14/what-rise-gig-economy-means-american-dream

• Carstie Clausen said, on July 14, 2016 at 11:30 am

Nationwide legalization or decriminalization is the elementary solution to that influx into Colorado and the problems that has caused. One positive development there, as many would see it, is that with legalization the incidence of teen (or younger) new smokers has tended to curve downwards. Evidently, those “with it” kids do NOT wanna be associated with something which is kewl with the old fogies ~ much like so many of them never tune into classic rock n roll, but prefer chicktoons or gangsta rap.

• zumiee said, on July 14, 2016 at 11:39 am

Interesting article, thanks. The giant corporations are swallowing the whole economy again like the robber-baron era of the 1890s.

• blade3colorado said, on July 14, 2016 at 11:58 am

Exactly. Basically, this is a way to not pay for benefits such as health care. My pension is $70k plus. You will not find hardly anyone making that in retirement. In fact, in a few years, pensions will disappear, except for a few isolated areas (e.g., baseball players . . . lulz).

• dirtnrocksnomo said, on July 14, 2016 at 10:03 am

I know you don’t want this place to be all political. I’ll just say that I tend to fall on the side of it not being my place to tell someone what they can or cannot put in their body. This is an interesting article on decriminalization and usage rates in Portugal for those that are interested.

• Carstie Clausen said, on July 14, 2016 at 11:25 am

Thanks for sharing, Dirt. Portugal rocks. Of course the prison-industrial complex as well as assorted lazy cops and grasping lawyers don’t like that Portuguese notion one bit.

• dirtnrocksnomo said, on July 14, 2016 at 11:40 am

Yes, Portugal is an interesting place. I spent a month there a while back. I really enjoyed it and hope to go back. Legalization will remove the stigma and reduce usage but I’m not kidding myself. Addiction is a real problem that ruins lives. I just want a different approach..

• zumiee said, on July 14, 2016 at 11:43 am

Thanks for the article. Interesting and counter-intuitive.

• chipower9 said, on July 14, 2016 at 11:46 am

Great read. Thanks for sharing. I have, for years, felt that decriminalization would result in positive change. The billions of dollars we throw at enforcement and prisons for drug use is a waste. Okay…that was my two cents. Done. I cannot wait for baseball to return.

• Carstie Clausen said, on July 14, 2016 at 11:16 am

Gotta use your powers of discernment, Flav. There are two basic strains: Indica and Sativa. Their effects are radically different and depending on THC level, can vary drastically. Moderate THC sativa, i find to be highly efficacious for insightfulness as well as humor in my writing. Higher potency, with a strong strain of Indica in the blend, deadens my energy levels and buzzes my mind. Brownie consumption must never be more than a small cube as in larger chocoholic/sweet-tooth concentrations it can result in a near catatonic state as i recently witnessed at a party where a visitor from Cuba as well as a long-immersed connoisseur both overindulged just a bit and “left” us while still physically present.

Back in the late 60’s there were three radically different personality types revealed amongst potheads: One, there was the standard stoner who simply liked the high: Two were those who earned the sobriquet “Loadie”, who constantly and consistently needed to get out of everyday reality and into some kinda blitzed out zone. Smallest group, perhaps, were those who became known as “Heads” ~ as in “feed your head”. Heads tended to be creative types who sought out synaptic releases between the logical, rational leftbrain and the intuitive and holistic rightbrain in order to achieve higher levels of creative synthesis.

5. gianthead said, on July 14, 2016 at 9:47 am

Are there any trade rumors floating back there? Seems awfully quiet.

6. wilcojoe said, on July 14, 2016 at 11:09 am

I was always for the legalization of it with the medicinal use being my biggest argument in favor of it. However you don’t need to inhale it in its original form to reap its benefit.

My stepdad is battling stage 4 kidney cancer and has been on Merinol (basically THC in pill form) for the last six months. It has been nothing short of a wonder drug. His appetite is back to normal and it alleviates his pain much better than the morphine pills he was prescribed. The best part for him is that it doesn’t give him the “stoned” feeling that smoking or injesting pot did prior to his receiving Merinol. Now iam not saying that Merinol will work better than marijuana in its natural form but for many people who do not want to be “stoned” in order to live pain free and to actually maintain a healthy weight, it might be a much better option.

• Carstie Clausen said, on July 14, 2016 at 11:22 am

Another differentiation in cannabis are the two elements of cannabinols and cannabinoids. They are both found in most strains, but in variable concentrations. The “ols” get you high while the “oids” are far more of a pain suppressor or reliever. Rather than chemically altered Marinol (big Pharma profit$$$) a strain which is more infused with cannabinoid and reduced into a green butter or infused with medical grade alcohol and blended with other herbal infusions and sugar; would be the direction i would take and goddamn the laws passed by bought and paid for prostiticians on behalf of their corporate and bankster donors.

• wilcojoe said, on July 14, 2016 at 12:12 pm

That’s good to know. Unfortunately in Texas, I don’t think he would be able to purchase the version your speaking of but its worth looking into.

• Carstie Clausen said, on July 14, 2016 at 12:20 pm

Wilco: Yeah, the prison-industrial complex is HUGE in Texas and they own mucho, mucho prostiticians in that state of affairs. Jeeze, Texas even is big on the death penalty ~ something Minnesota got rid of more than a hundred years ago. Of course all that racialism was never a big thing up here in the frozen north.

7. zumiee said, on July 14, 2016 at 11:50 am

National Geographic had an article about how a chemical in marijuana has been effective in treating seizures in children. The article makes the point that scientific and medical research of marijuana has been limited because of marijuana being illegal. Legalization could open the door to more breakthrough medications derived from it. It’s an interesting thought.

8. chipower9 said, on July 14, 2016 at 11:51 am

Is baseball back yet?

• zumiee said, on July 14, 2016 at 11:55 am

• Flavor said, on July 14, 2016 at 12:03 pm

I sometimes wonder if you are the gif-lord of the world, making all the gifs out there (I have no idea how to gif something) and unleashing your best on the Flap each day…..

• zumiee said, on July 14, 2016 at 12:09 pm

No, just relying on the worldwide web. 🙂

9. blade3colorado said, on July 14, 2016 at 11:55 am

Good points by Carstie, Dirt and Wilco. Ecuador, Uruguay, and I think Spain are other countries which are decriminalizing drugs (at least marijuana). I think there are others as well. In fact, Ecuador refuses to participate in the drug interdiction efforts of the U.S. anymore a la Columbia, if only because their people and environment is being poisoned by the “crop dusting” utilized by the CIA contractors, etc. Think Agent Orange and you’ll get my drift.

Agree with Wilco about medicinal treatments. Sorry to hear about your step father. I am glad he is getting some relief via this new treatment.

Carstie, I attended a Thanksgiving party a few years ago, where brownies were served. Everyone was forewarned that they contained marijuana. However, my friend chose to ignore this warning and he was in the catatonic state you described. Dude had no experience with drugs and I even told him that my last experience with pot – way back in the late 70s, was far different from my experiences in the late 60s and early 70s. Sheesh, the potency of that shit made me go to sleep if I was fortunate, and at worse, made me loony toons. Consequently, I think I did my last toke in 1982 or 1983. I have no idea what the stuff is like today, except I would imagine much, much more potent. Regardless, I have sworn off alcohol and drugs, so I’m probably not the one to ask for an opinion. However, much like Dirt, I voted for legalization because I believe people should be allowed to ingest, smoke, inject, etc., whatever they damn well chose to do . . . as long it does no harm to others. However, I have a new perspective from my experience here. It scares the hell out of me that we have people smoking pot while driving and coupled with other bad habits, such as texting and/or talking on their phone, I usually chose to avoid the highways and streets on Friday and Saturday evenings. Add all of the aforementioned with crime, joblessness or McJobs (gig economy) that has befallen Colorado, well it hasn’t been a good result in my opinion. Consequently, I regret voting for approval of our current law.

• dirtnrocksnomo said, on July 14, 2016 at 12:09 pm

Those are fair points against. Didn’t CO include some DUI penalties to the law. Or at least some parameters for future implementation? Ultimately, zummie is right that it is happening in CA and probably on a national scale eventually. We need to figure out how to accommodate it appropriately.

I think the gig economy is the future regardless.

• blade3colorado said, on July 14, 2016 at 12:24 pm

Colorado law specifies that drivers with five nanograms of active tetrahydrocannabinol (THC) in their whole blood can be prosecuted for driving under the influence (DUI). However, no matter the level of THC, law enforcement officers base arrests on observed impairment. Consequently, I have no idea what they look for, where they will tell the driver they are getting a blood test versus just “blow into the tube.”

Ultimately, I think if more states approve marijuana legalization, that will provide some relief to our state. This will likely result in the “newness” wearing off and hopefully, provide reductions in use, similar to what has occurred in Portugal. Who knows? Personally, I think our society is sooooooo stressed out, that Joe Blow and Suzy Homemaker will 9 times out of 10 reach for the cocktail, Xanax, Valium, Cocaine, Marijuana, etc., before seeking a spiritual solution to their problems.

By the by, another byproduct of Marijuana approval is the potential for armed robbery, since NO banks will be involved in any type of Marijuana transaction per Federal law. All of these transactions are cash and I’m just waiting for a “Heat” movie type episode to occur.

• dirtnrocksnomo said, on July 14, 2016 at 12:31 pm

Yes, I have heard that about the money and banks. They want to get their hands on that cash so rest assured that Congress will act eventually. I can see how it would suck to be in a state that is basically the test case for all of this. CA has been operating under Prop 215 which was poorly written and basically a naked attempt to open the door to legalization here anyway so we may as well do away with the BS of “doctor’s notes” and whatnot and get on with standardizing the industry and providing protections under the law which includes banking protections.

10. snarkk said, on July 14, 2016 at 11:59 am

Since the war on drugs has worked so well the past 40 years, let’s keep doing what we’ve been doing…

• chipower9 said, on July 14, 2016 at 12:41 pm

snarkk for President! Will you build a wall and have the drug lords pay for it? 😉

11. Flavor said, on July 14, 2016 at 12:00 pm

That’s cool about your stepdad, Wilco.
    Something I hadn’t considered is that pot is very different now than it was back when I smoked it (as Carstie has written). I’m just basing my observations on the 3 or 4 people I know who smoke pot every day. And they are all complete losers who seem to have trouble even accomplishing the simplest tasks in a day. After getting high, that is.

• Carstie Clausen said, on July 14, 2016 at 12:15 pm

True, Flav. For most heads daily usage is completely counterindicated. I do know 3 guys (early 30’s types) who are hard-working and productive daddies who smoke a bunch more than once daily. Maybe their body chemistry is a lot different from mine. AND they insist on the powerful stuff. But aside from cannabis they are NOT into drugs.
      Currently, the biggest national problem is prescription opioids which are highly profitable for Big Pharma, urination’s #1 champion drug dealers. Good article on “Genocide by Prescription” and the untold number
      of deaths in the white working class on Unz Review today. Thank goodness for baseball. It is my #1 drug, if you wanna call it that.

12. wilcojoe said, on July 14, 2016 at 12:17 pm

The only people I know who smoke it every day and lead a productive (to each their own on the definition of productive) life are my musician friends.

13. Flavor said, on July 14, 2016 at 12:28 pm

ok, here’s a baseball question: Would you want the Giants to trade for Aroldis Chapman? Grant Brisbee wrote a good article taking the *no* side.

I didn’t read the police report and I only know the basics of what happened. My feeling is that I would reluctantly support the Giants trading for him (Bickford anyone?). But I can see the argument against. Michael Vick was worse, in my opinion, and he came back. I just don’t think because you do something horrendous or stupid that you shouldn’t be allowed to come back to your job after punishment has been issued. In this case, there wasn’t much punishment, in fact no legal punishment at all.
    But I’d take Chapman for the rest of the year. Now, if he had choked my daughter and shot 8 bullets into my garage (or hers) I wouldn’t want him on the team. So, hypocritical I know……

• blade3colorado said, on July 14, 2016 at 12:30 pm

I haven’t read the article you cited yet, but I am guessing part of the reason is because Chapman is a free agent next year. Conversely, his team mate – Miller is still controllable for another year or two.

• dirtnrocksnomo said, on July 14, 2016 at 12:34 pm

I’d be cool with Brickford for Chapman. Considering Panik’s inability to avoid injuries and Duffy being something of a question mark at the moment I think the club has to hold onto Arroyo but otherwise make it happen Booby!

Your question got me thinking and I found this write up on Brickford. http://www.fangraphs.com/blogs/this-is-plus-command-prospects-phil-bickford-joe-musgrove/

14. wilcojoe said, on July 14, 2016 at 12:38 pm

Regarding the artcle Blade posted about our “gig” economy, a great example of that is our own newspaper sports writers. Anyone notice how Schulman has been relegated to part time duty at the Chron? It’s been like that for several years now. The same is true for the beat writers at the Hearst owned Houston Chronicle. I would love to know how journalism salaries look today compared to twenty or thirty years ago. Most of these guys are having to do radio or tv gigs to supplement their incomes.

15. Irish Kevin said, on July 14, 2016 at 12:53 pm

Ah the great debate over legalizing MJ, like Chi, I know that the war on drugs is a complete and utter joke, I just love when the news show a big pot bust, look what we took off the street, 300 pounds of pot. Yeah well the other 2 tons was sold thank you very much. The story that really pissed me off was the one about our fine government giving Afghans $7 billion to stop growing Poppy plants!! Seriously $7 billion. The height of stupidity. The other thing I want to point out is if the the information we have on Alcohol today was known back during prohibition, alcohol would not be leagal either, IMO. I say legalize MJ and let the shit hit the fan for a few years and it will all work out. Oh and the part about more people laying around not working just being high, that happens today whether legal or not, it is just because it is leagal they are out in public more instead of hiding in their homes.

16. chipower9 said, on July 14, 2016 at 12:55 pm

One report (with input from Schulman) has neither Miller or Chapman as a fit for the Gigantes…

• Flavor said, on July 14, 2016 at 2:22 pm

that’s going to be a problem for us (if the Yankees and other teams don’t think we are a “good fit.”). Bickford is the one I would trade because I don’t think he’s going to amount to shit but 4 guys ranked in the top 100 should still be able to get you something decent back in return. I wonder if teams 1) are tired of Sabean trading them shit and/or 2) think most of the Giants young mlb talent is already here?

• wilcojoe said, on July 14, 2016 at 3:18 pm

Well I definitely agree with the second point. I just don’t see how its possible for there to be any more talent available. If we trade them and they go on to become the next Adam Duvall, good for them.

You got to pounce when you can. The dynasty can only last for so long.

• Flavor said, on July 14, 2016 at 3:31 pm

Duvall is the only player Sabes has traded in the last decade that’s turned into anything. I could be talking out my ass on this but I’m thinking about it and coming up with nada. And their Duvall hit was total luck, nobody thought he would do this.

• bassbaldy said, on July 14, 2016 at 6:32 pm

Oh comon’ Flav, I totally nailed that Duvall thing … you even called him “my guy”‘… Remember ? 😉

• gianthead said, on July 14, 2016 at 3:17 pm

I don’t think it is going to happen because our lack of major league ready prospects while Cubs and Dodgers probably do or at least more than we do..

• Carstie Clausen said, on July 14, 2016 at 3:26 pm

Schulman says the Yankmees would not be interested in Shaw for the rental of Chapman. They either know something i don’t or they are blowing smoke. No way would i trade a guy with a high BA with half of his hits being of the XBH variety for a rental. If he’s traded to NY, the only way i could see it would be for Miller. If SF hangs onto Shaw they should get him to their Arizona camp ASAP after the season to see whether he could be converted into a left-fielder, as per Duvall. If not, then somebody out there should covet a power-packed 1Bman even if he happens to be righthanded.

• Flavor said, on July 14, 2016 at 3:29 pm

the Yankees don’t need a first baseman (Bird) and Shaw won’t get either one of them by himself, esp MIller.

17. Macdog said, on July 14, 2016 at 1:39 pm

In honor of today’s theme:

18. unca_chuck said, on July 14, 2016 at 3:18 pm

One more day without baseball?

• zumiee said, on July 14, 2016 at 3:56 pm

BoJack Horseman! Great cartoon.

19. Flavor said, on July 14, 2016 at 3:36 pm

here’s an example of why Shaw doesn’t get you either of those guys by himself: Red Sox just traded Anderson Espinoza for Drew Freaking Pomeranz. That’s their top prospect and #15 overall in all of baseball. Pom is having a good year and I’m not saying this is a terrible trade by the Sox but it seems like a bit of an overpay to me…..

20. blade3colorado said, on July 14, 2016 at 3:51 pm

Just my take, but Pomeranz only makes a little over a million dollars ($1.2 or $1.3 I think) and he’s controllable until 2019, when he becomes a free agent. He was terrible in Colorado, but then again, just about everyone is. However, he was very good with Oakland and outstanding with San Diego. Boston needs pitching desperately, and if they want to make a realistic run – Pomeranz was the potential piece to make that happen. I think it’s a win/win for both teams.

21. zumiee said, on July 14, 2016 at 4:01 pm

I agree with Wilco, make a trade and don’t be worrying about years down the road. The time for the Giants is right NOW. The core group of the major league team are in their prime, and with Bum and Cueto leading the way, 2016 has a legitimate chance to be another deep run in the playoffs.

• zumiee said, on July 14, 2016 at 4:03 pm

I’m not worrying about hanging onto any of the minor leaguers. None of them are probably a future superstar anyway.

• Flavor said, on July 14, 2016 at 4:13 pm

agreed. Pay up now, make another glorious run……

• zumiee said, on July 14, 2016 at 4:06 pm

Arroyo with a .312 on-base at AA. Meh. He should be tearing up AA.

• Carstie Clausen said, on July 14, 2016 at 6:30 pm

Been keeping an eye on that too. Patience will hold as he is still fairly young for that level and he is probably hitting at about league average against the tough EL pitching (best prospects of both Eastcoast NL and AL teams for the most part). Arroyo is showing virtually no power but has become a doubles machine with pretty close to the same total as NL leading BB9.

• blade3colorado said, on July 14, 2016 at 4:08 pm

Yeah, I think that’s the philosophy of Boston too. San Diego on the other hand, is currently at 38-51, unlikely to contend before 2019, Preller apparently has taken another opportunity to flip a major leaguer for longer-term assets. He’s already made one significant deal with Dombrowski. In November, the Padres sent closer Craig Kimbrel to the Red Sox for prospects Manuel Margot, Javier Guerra, Carlos Asuaje and Logan Allen.

Also, Pomeranz joins James Shields and Fernando Rodney as players the Padres have dealt ahead of this year’s Aug. 1 non-waiver trade deadline. I wouldn’t be surprised if Preller moves these remaining assets as well – Derek Norris, M. Upton Jr. and Cashner.

22. blade3colorado said, on July 14, 2016 at 4:11 pm

One negative about Pomeranz. He doesn’t handle pressure well. He is going to a hitters league and worse, a hitters division. Couple that with having one of the worst walk rate percentages and pitching in a band box, he likely will have problems. Also, I think he has already pitched the most innings in his MLB career.

23. wilcojoe said, on July 14, 2016 at 5:49 pm

Yeah Flav, the only guys Sabean ever traded away that in hindsight could be considered a mistake was Joe Nathan and Francisco Liriano for AJ Piershisky. In the words of Captain Quint, “for fifteen years she kept her virginity, not a bad record for this vincinity.”

• blade3colorado said, on July 14, 2016 at 6:34 pm

lulz . . . Great quote. Ya know Joe, I’m a big James Bond fan and one of my favorite characters from those films was Red Grant. Robert Shaw was in great shape back when he made that film (From Russia With Love) – I still recall that Russian Colonel, Rosa Kleb hitting him in the stomach with brass knuckles. Wow! Fast forward to Jaws, he was a barely functioning alcoholic. I think most, if not all his time on screen during that Quint role he was drunk. Regardless, a great, great character actor.

• wilcojoe said, on July 14, 2016 at 6:57 pm

He sure was Blade. I remember reading that his famous “Indianapolis” scene had to have multiple takes as he was so shitfaced at the time. Apparently he was just “half lit” in the final version that made the film (probably my favorite scene in cinematic history). Probably my all time favorite movie.

The Peter Benchely book that it was based on is a great read as well. Very similar to the movie, except the key story line of Hooper (Richard Dreyfuss) sleeping with Mrs. Brody is absent in the movie.

• djloo27 said, on July 14, 2016 at 7:04 pm

• snarkk said, on July 14, 2016 at 7:25 pm

The fight scene between Connery and Shaw in From Russia with Love is an all timer, given the era. It looked like each knew that one of them was not getting out alive. In the rail car compartment. The fight scene in the Bourne 2nd movie in a house in Munich with Damon is also pretty amazing, but it’s got 45 years of tech improvements on Bond…

• blade3colorado said, on July 14, 2016 at 7:29 pm

Agree snarkk. It was a trade mark of the Bond movies. They would speed up the camera during certain parts of the fight. This was one of the first movies I recall seeing at a theater. Even 10 years later, I thought that fight scene you referenced was one of the best ever filmed.

• blade3colorado said, on July 14, 2016 at 7:33 pm

Also read the book Joe and it scared the hell out of me. I recall sitting on the edge of my seat during the movie. That movie and the Exorcist scared the hell out of me. Sheesh, I’m a SCUBA diver, but for years afterwards, I was wary of even getting in the water after seeing Jaws, especially on the California coast, where Santa Cruz water is often murky at best. It wasn’t until I became certified that I was really comfortable in the water . . . and only when I was SCUBA diving, where I think I have mentioned here a few times – you can see everything around you. Conversely, surfing, snorkeling, swimming, etc., I will rarely do.

• snarkk said, on July 14, 2016 at 11:07 pm

Still like the Exorcist. Scary ass movie. When the devil plays with Father Damien’s mind — “Dimi, Dimi, why did you do this to me?” or something like that, it goes right to you — that someone could know your innermost secrets and fears and exploit you on them. Beelzebub needs to go to the Latrine and ply his wares there — “The power of Christ compels you!”…

24. bassbaldy said, on July 14, 2016 at 6:49 pm

Just keeping on his MJ riff .. Does anyone know how things are going with the legalization in Washington State? Is there the same problems with banks, money, Federal Laws, and the influx of louts, layabouts, and ne’er-do-wells, as in CO?

25. djloo27 said, on July 14, 2016 at 6:58 pm

For any of you guys coming to NY next week:
    Feel free to lay out any K-2 zombies if you feel like it.
    It’s a public service.

• blade3colorado said, on July 14, 2016 at 7:12 pm

“Feel free to lay out any K-2 zombies if you feel like it.”

Very slow on the uptake Loo . . . What is a K-2 Zombie?

• djloo27 said, on July 14, 2016 at 7:16 pm

A person high on synthetic marijuana…

• djloo27 said, on July 14, 2016 at 7:23 pm

Making a lot of headlines here lately, but only really happening in some neighborhoods.
        The old Polo Grounds area is one of them, I think.

• blade3colorado said, on July 14, 2016 at 7:34 pm

Whoa! Man, I am really out of the loop . . . No idea about this K-2 stuff.

• djloo27 said, on July 14, 2016 at 7:39 pm

It’s a pretty recent thing. I haven’t encountered one yet. Doubt you will.
        They can’t afford Yankee tickets…

26. snarkk said, on July 14, 2016 at 7:27 pm

Guess who is the biggest funder in Ca of the anti-legalization side? Big Pharma…

• unca_chuck said, on July 14, 2016 at 8:13 pm

Bingo. ludicrous the pull big pharma has in gouging people and nixing medical maryjane.

27. alleykat69 said, on July 14, 2016 at 8:12 pm

I’m out of the loop as well Blade on this K2 drug.
    But if it counts for much I was pretty good on my K2 skis with Geze bindings back in the day at Sugar Bowl /Heavenly/ Ski Incline..Now sadly outdated,and no ski shop would touch them without Lol,adjustments release etc they hang on my sister’s wall in Reno along with her pair of Olin skis⛷🎿⛷🎿

• blade3colorado said, on July 14, 2016 at 8:20 pm

Hilarious AK . . . That’s exactly what I was thinking, because I still have my K2 skis. Mine came out right before the deep sidecuts (or hourglass shape) to help skis carve short, clean turns. I still liked my K2s because I was a very good skier. However, today I wouldn’t get on a slope without deep side cut type skis. Just not as quick as I use to be.

28. unca_chuck said, on July 14, 2016 at 8:14 pm

Hah. had the old K2 710’s with my Look?Nevada n17 bindings.

29. willedav said, on July 14, 2016 at 8:22 pm

I’d say no to Chapman, just because I don’t believe in dumping $13 mil for a closer which is what it would cost to keep him. Imo the set up guys who often come in RISP situations 7th or 8th are way more valuable.
    If you are only doing it to win this year I still don’t think it’s a good idea.
    Giants are going to have to replace a lot of parts in the pitching staff in near future, and who knows what Cain is capable of doing or how often he can stay healthy. I’d keep the young pitching and see what happens.

On that same note I really hope Parker is in Giants plans going forward. He has higher ceiling than any young OF I’ve seen in the system for a long time. While the current LF and CF will hit handful of HRs, Parker on a hot streak could do that in a week. His current numbers are very high in OB and slugging and he’s played all 3 OF spots.

Getting baseball fix reading new book from Tim Kurkjian, “I’m Fascinated by Sacrifice Flies”. First chapter heavy on anecdotes and stories, some pretty funny ones in there alongside the oddities such as:
    Bumgarner hit more Grand Slams in one season than Derek Jeter hit in his entire career.
    Or neither Mays nor Aaron (hank) Barry Bonds or Ruth ever hit for the cycle–but Benjie Molina did.

• djloo27 said, on July 14, 2016 at 8:25 pm

I saw ex-Giant Mike Phillips do it as a Met…

30. djloo27 said, on July 14, 2016 at 8:22 pm

I might still have my old K2 Calculator.
    Guaranteed to pick winners at the trotters…

31. zumiee said, on July 14, 2016 at 8:56 pm

Not shocking news- Cueto is being moved back one spot in the rotation because of the All Star Game.
    Bum, Smardj, Cueto now. Not a big deal, IMO.

• zumiee said, on July 14, 2016 at 8:58 pm

It’s still the Peavy/Cain show in Boston.

32. zumiee said, on July 14, 2016 at 9:00 pm

Another baseball oddity: Neither Roger Clemens nor Greg Maddux ever threw a no-hitter.

33. snarkk said, on July 14, 2016 at 10:31 pm

Years ago Mrs. snarrk and I traveled to Switzerland on a ski trip. Went to Zermatt. We took our own boots, but rented skis there. We checked our boots before we left, everything good. First day there after a needed and timely 2′ snow dump the night before, we’re walking from the ticket booth to the Gornergrat cog train, ready to have a great day. But, suddenly something feels weird as I’m walking. I look down, and the front half of my right Nordica has basically blown apart. So, we sold our day tix on the spot, and went back to town to the ski shop. I ended up buying new, middle of the road Salomons from the Yank guy running the shop, at an exorbitant price. Next morning, we get up, Mrs. snarkk starts to put her Dale boots on (she had them for years, a custom type boot, she used to be a very good skier). Basically, the inside liners of her boots are crumbling into pieces. We go back to the ski shop. The guy sees us, thinks I’ve got a problem with my new boots — but no. Ends up we have to buy new boots for Mrs. snarkk, too. Even better Salomons than mine, of course, she’s a better skier. We ended up blowing well over $1K worth of boots before we ever hit the slopes. Trust me. Zermatt is NOT the place you want to end up buying boots. However, once re-equipped, the next few days of skiing were fantastic under the Matterhorn. You can check the Web for “Klein Matterhorn” and see photos of the area. The Klein Matterhorn is above 12.500 feet, and is the highest ski Tram in Europe. When you ski out from around the tram exit area, you are almost at 13,000 feet, and looking directly across the glacier and valley at the Matterhorn towering above you. Fantastic views. Makes you feel like you’re in the middle of a Bond movie. Easily on my top 5 list of favorite places in the World I’ve visited…

34. mrsprtdude said, on July 14, 2016 at 11:31 pm

Planned a Boston trip 6 months ago. 60% chance of big 3…I hope Peavy is up for his return to beantown…

• blade3colorado said, on July 15, 2016 at 6:46 am

You meeting us out there mrsprtdude?

35. unca_chuck said, on July 15, 2016 at 7:50 am

Snarkk, I’m jealous. Been wanting to ski Europe my whole life. Same thing happened to my wife at Squaw. She had an old pair of Fischer racing skis that she somehow torqued and bent. She wanted new boots too, so we went to Dave’s at the entrance to Squaw. $1,100 later we were on the slopes. And this was 15 years ago.