Flap State of Mind

Posted in Uncategorized by Flavor on July 22, 2016

The Flap takeover of New York seems to be in full effect. There are reports of a ferry being ridden (harbor police might use the word “commandeered”). I’m not sure if Chia Blade made it out of the Bronx safely but I’ll assume they did and there was some “motoring” involved with the exit.

It appears to be hot as fuck in New York today. I hope that doesn’t ruin the experience for the non-New Yorkers.

Bum v Tanakasan tonight. It should noted that we’ve really only been close to winning one game since the break re-start and that was the Casilla balk-implosion. So it is past time for a W. I’m calling for Flap Nation to storm the gates of Yankee Stadium and don’t stop till you get the WIN……

This game is pissing me off…..>>Anyway, the pics out of Yankee stadium are hitting my phone fast and furious. As I’ve said, it’s kind of a pain in the ass for me to post pics. But I have gone out of my way to post this one. Maybe it will give us some luck. From left to right we have San Dawg, Chi, Mr. DJ LOO, and MacDog:

Screenshot_20160722-172946

1. gianthead said, on July 22, 2016 at 7:35 pm

This game was a throwback…with no TV we actually listened to it on WFAN in a classic night game with plenty of AM static. I was back to being a 12 year old listening to KNBR from Santa Cruz on a July night…and like a kid in the late 70s and early 80s, the Giants throw it away…was that Johnny Lemaster at short tonight???? One difference from being a kid…I was asleep by the 5th on the couch…safe travels Chia Blade….

• Flavor said, on July 22, 2016 at 7:42 pm

wish I’d listened to this one instead of watch it. SUper frustrating bullshit. Game was lost early with all the failures to get a base hit with ducks clogging the pond every inning. Why no tv?

• gianthead said, on July 22, 2016 at 7:46 pm

Beach house in Rhode Island that my in-laws refuse to have “infected” by a tv. This is how my wife lived every summer as a kid on vacation…

• gianthead said, on July 22, 2016 at 7:49 pm

Summers in Santa Cruz was not too much different because you could only get two TV stations…that is why I listened to KNBR all summer long…

2. Lurker John said, on July 22, 2016 at 7:42 pm

The Yankees are mediocre except for that bullpen. Zum is right, this was a totally winnable game, but the Giants made just enough mistakes to lose it, which has been the theme the past 6 games.

Johnny C. really needs to come up with the goods tomorrow. Time to put an end to this shit.

3. zumiee said, on July 22, 2016 at 7:44 pm

The thing of it was for Craw, all three plays were probably lost causes, but he was trying throw with extra mustard on those three throws, and all three sailed on him.

• Lurker John said, on July 22, 2016 at 7:47 pm

With the catcher running, they had the DP on the last one easy with a good throw. Belt dropping the throw just allowed the winning run to score.

• zumiee said, on July 22, 2016 at 7:56 pm

Seemed pretty close to me.

4. snarkk said, on July 22, 2016 at 8:01 pm

Awesome photo of the Flapcrew. Loo looks pretty much like I imagined, a laid back one-liner machine. I’m diggin’ Chi rockin’ the BF shirt into Yankeeland.
    Hey, when the Giants won the WS the last 3x, they have had a really bad stretch during the reg season. So, I’m thinking this stretch is a good sign…

5. bassbaldy said, on July 22, 2016 at 8:02 pm

Forget Motley Crew …

In the photo you guys look like 70’s one hit wonder band fresh from a string of casino gigs in So Cal …

Left to right:

Bass & vocals (SanD?); lead vocals/guitar (Chi β€” has a bit of an Eric Bourden thing going on); Drums/Vocals (Loo); organ/marimba/exotica (Blade)

• bassbaldy said, on July 22, 2016 at 10:00 pm

Oops .. that should be MacD at the end not Blade .. where was Blade?

6. bassbaldy said, on July 22, 2016 at 8:07 pm

BoZo … What I meant by my Craw comment was that it was too bad that on the major stage he didn’t perform well … It’s always pointed out here how maligned and ignored left coast teams/players often are.

Here was a chance for Craw to make a statement On Broadway, so to speak. But it wasn’t to be. Too bad … I was bemoaning the fact that he didn’t get to shine in the moment and maybe turn some heads … Oh well, best we stay under the radar I guess … That way we can sneak up on ’em!

7. zumiee said, on July 22, 2016 at 8:14 pm

Turner’s on a tear, crushing mistake pitches. Nobody on the Giants is doing that right now. Williamson is doing it a bit.
    What if the Giants had started Williamson and Parker in the corner outfield spots all week? It’d be interesting to know what would have happened in that alternate universe.

• snarkk said, on July 22, 2016 at 8:24 pm

Bochy should be doing that. I’ve seen enough Blanco. Williamson’s near PH dinger tonight in the 8th convinces me even more that Bochy blew it in Boston, PHing Blanco for Williamson…

• bassbaldy said, on July 22, 2016 at 8:32 pm

Maybe all this unexpected high level performing by the Rivercat sub squad has left Boch dazed and confused? … I dunno

8. bassbaldy said, on July 22, 2016 at 8:23 pm

JERKOFF dinger! 3all

9. unca_chuck said, on July 22, 2016 at 8:25 pm

Can someone tell me why Osich was pitching to the righties and Romo the lefties?

10. Flavor said, on July 22, 2016 at 8:29 pm

I just realized Chi is wearing the WeScoreWeWin shirt. So fucking awesome……

11. PaulinAsia Banh Bao said, on July 22, 2016 at 8:33 pm

As painful and obnoxious and frustrating as this 2nd-half start is for the team, and for all the reasons for them looking like one of the worst teams in the league instead of one of the best, one thing strikes me as a bit different from other *slumps* — more and more griping or certainly at least questioning of Bochy’s recent game management decisions….. Not that any of us could actually do any better, but definitely a bit more head-scratching. In Bruce We Trust. Or certainly have trusted. Hoping a key move or two before end of month will make everything seem a bit more hopeful.

12. unca_chuck said, on July 22, 2016 at 8:37 pm

.357 to .138

13. Flavor said, on July 22, 2016 at 8:37 pm

ESPN Stats & Info ‏@ESPNStatsInfo 24m24 minutes ago
    Aroldis Chapman (@Yankees) fastball averaged 102.8 MPH tonight, the highest by anyone in a game in the last 8 seasons.

14. unca_chuck said, on July 22, 2016 at 8:38 pm

I get that the team is injured, but pinch hitting Parker for Blanco was unnecessary the other day I think. Some of the pitching moves have been baffling as well. Like tonight.

15. sandog said, on July 22, 2016 at 9:02 pm

Yeah, seeing 104 on the scoreboard was wild stuff. Great hanging with everyone and seeing new Yankee Stadium, though it might have been the hottest evening I have ever experienced in my life. We tried like hell to rally the troops—and there were a good amount of Giants fans in the house. Earlier, we had one beer at Finnerty’s before it got crazy crowded, so we headed next door. Finnerty’s was cool though and totally packed with Giant fans. YMCA was again a big between-innings hit, as was Welcome to the Jungle featuring a great Axl scream by Loo that greatly amused me and the mildly disabled Yankee fan seated next to him.
    Chapman’s entrance song is “Wake Up” by Rage Against The machine, which I thought was a strong choice.

• Flavor said, on July 22, 2016 at 9:04 pm

so jealous that you guys got to meet and hang out. And to do it at Yankee Stadium, wow. What a trip.

• bassbaldy said, on July 22, 2016 at 9:06 pm

Excelent report SanD … sounds like you guys had a blast in spite of the disappointing loss.

• unca_chuck said, on July 22, 2016 at 9:19 pm

Too cool, Dawg. You staying for tomorrow’s game?

16. bassbaldy said, on July 22, 2016 at 9:02 pm

I think we can all agree, the entire season has been a bit of a head scratcher. Even when we were winning like mad in June we were mostly just squeaking by. So far, we’ve not dominated anyone other than the Padres and even that got straightened out recently. All those one run victories, as great fun as they were, had to have been evidence of something amiss.

Maybe these questionable moves by Boch is simply part & parcel of a bizarre, and overall, questionable season … we will just have to wait and see.

If this L streak continues past this point im gonna start getting nervous.

• zumiee said, on July 22, 2016 at 10:19 pm

Maybe Cueto hurls a shutout tomorrow. πŸ™‚

17. zumiee said, on July 22, 2016 at 10:16 pm

A’s game, 0-0 in the 12th inning. Lqtm.

• bassbaldy said, on July 22, 2016 at 10:33 pm

Hey Zum .. re: yours, or someones reference to Soph yesterday .. was that a a person who posted on the Giants website about a dozen or do years ago? Nipper too?

• zumiee said, on July 22, 2016 at 10:53 pm

On the SF Gate Splash for several years. It was an unmoderated site, with lots of trolls. It’s one of the reasons Flavor started his own blog. Lots of us left the Splash and came to this blog. I don’t know if the Splash even exists anymore.

• bassbaldy said, on July 22, 2016 at 11:14 pm

Yes, the Splash, that was it! I used to post there … Damn, I’m thinking it was close to 15 years ago now … Wow! Hard believe it was that long ago ..

Me neither, don’t know if it still exists. Yep, trolls galore … I wasn’t one of them, honest!

I think my handle was Expos94, or something like that.

I seem to remember there was one pretty decent Dodger fan (if such thing can even exist) that posted there regularly. And there was a couple of woman I think … One was certainly off her rocker … Difficult to remember names .. Not even sure if I got mine right after all this time.

• bassbaldy said, on July 22, 2016 at 11:21 pm

Wait a minute … My freakin’ rotted old pea brain may be playing tricks on me … I know I read the Splash but maybe it was not the one I posted on … Damn, sooo hard to remember that long ago … I’m thinking it was a site affiliated directly with the Giants webpage because I used my MLB account to sign in … But yesterday, when the name Nipper came up, a lot of bells went off. Sorry, I’m not sure now.

• snarkk said, on July 22, 2016 at 11:25 pm

Splash was on the Chronicle website…

• bassbaldy said, on July 22, 2016 at 11:54 pm

There is also a Splash on the SF Gate site .. I just checked … Maybe it was different all those years ago but now it seems relegated to the occasional Giants article β€” most recent one I see there is written by John Lynch, dated February of this year.

I also went and checked out the Giants website blog/comments … I’m now convinced that is where I used to post because there is someone called ‘kruknkuipfan’ whose handle I recognize from way back when … Damn, still posting there … all those trolls ..ugh.

But that name ‘nipper’ sure rings a bell … Maybe he was ubiquitous.

• zumiee said, on July 23, 2016 at 12:41 am

SF Gate is the SF Chronicle site. I should have made that clear.

18. bassbaldy said, on July 22, 2016 at 10:28 pm

LA loses!

• zumiee said, on July 22, 2016 at 10:49 pm

19. blade3colorado said, on July 22, 2016 at 10:29 pm

A bit exhausted by this trip, but well worth it. Boom, boom, boom . . . Out Go The Lights!. We did a lot of things in such a short period of time. The 9/11 Memorial was overwhelming emotionally. Seeing the majestic One World Observatory building was equally emotional. Here, we met San Dog and his son Trevor (wonderful, well mannered person . . . Quite obvious SD is doing everthing right). From here, we made our way to the Staten Island Ferry building, meandering in and around Manhattan. After stopping for refreshments and sandwiches, we took the Ferry to Staten Island. What a great way to see New York. Quite relaxful and the respite from the heat and humidity of New York city was much appreciated. This was a great suggesition from Pawlie and Loo. Upon returning to Manhattan, we made our way to Wall Street. My phone was just about dead again (getting a new Apple SE when I return, as my old 2013 Moto X’s battery is about to bite the dust).

I guess I should mention that I had forgotten the Yankee game tickets, having left them in my hotel room. Not really a problem, as the Subway passes by our hotel on the way to the Stadium. Nevertheless, it was going to be an unecessary stop and personaIly, I was almost grateful that I had forgotten the tickets – precipitating me missing out on the Finnerty’s meet. In short, I was a bit exhausted and was oh so grateful to take a shower and power nap. lulz. Seriously, I was figuratively one wet noodle (extreme heat and humidity will do that). The shower and nap was much appreciated and I was refreshed for the game and the aniticpation of meeting Loo energized me for the 2nd part of the day.

How to describe Loo? It is around 1:23am here and I am getting a bit sleepy, so I will provide the rest of this story tomorrow while waiting in the airport. In short, I want to get it right. I’ll leave you with this . . . Loo’s everything we admire on the Flap, but much, much more. Sorry for the mystery. Tomorrow, the game, Loo, and everything else about this epic trip. Good night πŸ™‚

• Flavor said, on July 22, 2016 at 10:39 pm

looking forward to the rest of this…..

• bassbaldy said, on July 22, 2016 at 10:40 pm

Great post Blade! As for Loo .. the mystery continues … my breath is baited!

Speaking of breath .. yeah man, that NYC heat & humidity can be brutal … can be like none other on the East coast .. best description I have heard is, “its like walkin’ around in somebodys mouth!”

20. zumiee said, on July 22, 2016 at 10:59 pm

Awesome posts from the Flapper road-warriors. Thanks, guys!

21. zumiee said, on July 22, 2016 at 11:02 pm

The Dodgers experienced an excruciating extra inning loss tonight.
    The division lead is still 4 games.

22. snarkk said, on July 22, 2016 at 11:08 pm

Dang, we need a Flapalooza at ATT later this season. May not get close to the East coast version, but we gotta compete!…

23. snarkk said, on July 22, 2016 at 11:24 pm

Saw a stat last week. In the division playoff era, 33 of 35 squads leading a division at the AS break by 5 or more games ended up winning the division…

• zumiee said, on July 22, 2016 at 11:30 pm

I like those odds! πŸ™‚

24. bassbaldy said, on July 22, 2016 at 11:55 pm

Zum, I believe it is Smardgzijlp tomorrow not Cueto … They switched spots in the rotation last week.

• Lurker John said, on July 23, 2016 at 12:06 am

Yeesh.

• zumiee said, on July 23, 2016 at 12:39 am

Right….forget the shutout. πŸ™‚

25. Macdog said, on July 22, 2016 at 11:59 pm

Back from the Bronx. Hey, if I’m going to attend an infuriating game like that one on what had to be the hottest day of the year in New York City, I couldn’t pick a better bunch of guys and Giants fans to be with. Sandog, Blade, Chi (as in Chee, I found out) and the one and only DJ Loo — man, I had a blast. Starting one day earlier for a bonus night with Loo and Sandog at the Brooklyn Cyclones game, then onto today and meeting up with Chi and Sandog at Finnerty’s, then moving next door to the much more mellow Professor Thom’s bar after it became incredibly difficult just to get a beer at Finnerty’s, then Loo joining us at Prof’s, onto a subway car jam-packed with Giants fans, meeting up with Blade outside Yankee Stadium, and finally all of us hanging together in the upper deck for the final 4-5 innings. Only one thing was missing, and the less said of that the better. Otherwise, thanks to all you guys for trekking across the country and making tonight a memorable game for this Giants fan. Safe travels!

• Lurker John said, on July 23, 2016 at 12:07 am

Sounds like a great time Mac.

• blade3colorado said, on July 23, 2016 at 6:42 am

Wonderful post Mac . . . It was an unbelievable trip and although the Giants lost in Boston and New York, I had a great time seeing all of you guys. Very happy I was able to see you again and am looking forward to our next East or West coast Flapalooza. By the by, I posted some photos of you on FB, along with the rest of the crew. πŸ™‚

26. Lurker John said, on July 23, 2016 at 12:02 am

Lisle, the Dodger poster you might be thinking of went by the handle of dodgerfaninsf or something similar, and he was a die-hard L.A. fan but a reasoned and knowledgeable baseball fan who didn’t engage in trolling. I believe he’s posted here at various times over the years.

Then there was the notorious barryforever, who was a sarcastic and relentless Dodgers troll who took great pleasure in constantly baiting everyone on the board. A skilled operator, he was pretty well loathed by all Giants fans. and with good reason. He was a real asshat who vanished like a fart in the wind after the Giants won their first Series in 2010. I believe Zumiee even found posts on a Dodger board that sounded eerily like him. He was bitching up a storm about the Dog-ears and the Giants winning that title. I enjoyed that very much.

Sophrosyne (the aforementioned Soph) was an accomplished troll who was either a Giants fan or someone posing as one. Apparently a female named Ally, she had a full background story that included a wealthy father and a college career at Bryn Mawr College, in PA. She could be really negative about the team and took a huge amount of abuse from some of the other regulars, who concluded at some point that she was a he, some poor sap named named Jim, IIRC. She got under everyone’s skin at one point or another. and was absolutely relentless.

I think everyone here posted there before Flav started this blog. It was like the old wild west at times. It could be entertaining, but, at some point, it just got old.

• Irish Kevin said, on July 23, 2016 at 12:16 am

I remember all those experts on SFGate!! Ha ha

• bassbaldy said, on July 23, 2016 at 1:10 am

Thanks LJ … What you’ve written really jogs my memory. I moved out of SF in 2002, got preoccupied with career stuff and didn’t have time to follow the Splash and the Giants site commenters but always continued to follow the Giants. Then after moving out of NYC a few years ago, I found time again and started searching for a place for serious discussions about Giants baseball … I happened on the Flap, followed for about a year or so then decided to chime in. Glad I did.

27. mrsprtdude said, on July 23, 2016 at 12:19 am

Being annoyed at the trolls is a memorie i had forgotten. These last 6 games hopefully will be soon forgotten as well…

28. zumiee said, on July 23, 2016 at 12:54 am

The trolling on the Splash before the championship in ’10 was especially vicious because the trolls pounded away on the Giants for never having won a title in SF. A lot of those trolls were Dodgers fans or A’s fans. The satisfaction they got from trolling is hard to understand. Maybe it’s impossible to understand.

• zumiee said, on July 23, 2016 at 1:06 am

One of my theories is that they secretly envied Giants fans. They marveled at how we loved our team so much, even though it wasn’t winning championships in SF before ’10. So their jealousy fueled their trolling, IMO.

• bassbaldy said, on July 23, 2016 at 1:13 am

That whole trolling phenomena is beyond my comprehension … What empty lives those people must have. Truly pitiful.

• bassbaldy said, on July 23, 2016 at 1:17 am

I mean, some of those people, Im sure, are certifiable sociopaths.

29. zumiee said, on July 23, 2016 at 1:31 am

From the McCovey Chronicles, the location of the 3-0 pitch Pagan grounded out on with a runner on third:

• bassbaldy said, on July 23, 2016 at 1:38 am

Technically a strike … might have been called ball 4, I suppose … Oh well … I can’t complain too much about Pagan this year, he has been one of few consistently decent hitters. If Pagan had walked then it would have up to Belt …hmmm?

30. chipower9 said, on July 23, 2016 at 7:39 am

Met Blade about an hour ago for a quick lite breakfast. I am packed and will hail a Uber around 11.

EPIC trip. A blessing beyond belief. And while our Giants did not get off the schnide, it was all about seeing this part of our wonderful nation, and most importantly, doing it with Blade, San Dawg and his son Trevor, MacDog, and the infamous DJ LOO. It was great to finally meet Loo and Mac. These are tow really cool cars, and I thoroughly enjoyed our time together. I wish Pawlie had joined us, but I understand Pawlie. Mr. Kokonuts, you have planted a seed in my mind about writing a book, and that seed is germinating. Thank you my friend.

Thanks again to Craig for keeping this community together. What a blessing! Without it, these memories never happened. Feeling blessed and tired, and ready to be home. Big Love to Flap Universe. Make it an awesome day!

• blade3colorado said, on July 23, 2016 at 8:20 am

Write the book!

• chipower9 said, on July 23, 2016 at 10:24 am

It will happen brother, thanks to Pawlie. He has provided the motivation! Thank you Pawlie! And thanks Blade for joining me on this journey. As we both know and agree, “It is the journey, and not the destination, that matters.” I love ya brother! It was an epic trip!

SanD -was great to see you again, and to meet Trevor!

Loo and Mac – it was so cool to finally meet you both!

Loo – you will ALWAYS be my BFAM (Brother From Another Mother)!

Flap On!

I am at LaGuardia awaiting my flight home. This ol country boy is ready to be home with mama and the dogs.

• Flavor said, on July 23, 2016 at 8:24 am

sorry, I did it again. I seriously don’t try to post new threads while you guys are writing epic comments. πŸ™‚

31. Flavor said, on July 23, 2016 at 8:21 am

new thread

32. willedav said, on July 23, 2016 at 8:23 am

Splash was a trip, lot of very strange people posting there alongside knowledgeable baseball fans hat has led us to where we are here.
    I believe Twin outed the Soph hoax by noting the ip address was somewhere in bay area and not PA.

Twin usually took dead aim at most of the other trolls, BFE et al. One I remember (beside the Hangman and his chicken ranch babes) was FireSabeanNow. Thankfully most of them have gone back to oblivion after all the WS wins, though Twin making a reference to Baggs site as “Alarm Central.”

I still think Giants best of the lot in West, and you can’t discount what has gone before–3 months of good baseball that gave them best record in NL. That’s not a fluke, and no I don’t think Bochy is losing it either.

33. djloo27 said, on July 23, 2016 at 8:26 am

I had a great time, too and I’m really glad things worked out. You are all really good guys and very easy and fun to hang out with. Safe trips home, everybody.
    BTW, my hair looked way better when I left the house. The humidity did me in and security confiscated my can of Aqua-Net…

• blade3colorado said, on July 23, 2016 at 9:15 am

Lulz

• chipower9 said, on July 23, 2016 at 10:26 am

LULZ x 2! You ROCK, Loo! Love ya brother!