Post Flapalooza, What’s Left?

Posted in Uncategorized by Flavor on July 23, 2016

I didn’t think this trip through the AL world would go very well and so far it’s teetering on the edge of complete failure. If not for the great vibes created from the Flap Nation check ins, we would be enraged. But, seeing the pics of Blade, Chi, Loo, MacDog, GH, San Dawg and sons has kinda dulled the edges of our swords.

Now that the crew is breaking up and wandering back to where they came from, I am starting to get my “slow burn” back on.

This is a HUGE start for Smarge. He’s been average since his dominant start in Tampa. The deck will be stacked against us again today with what will likely be the most underwhelming of line ups. The weather will be decidedly un-AT&Tish. And it’ll still feel like an early start for our boys.

But if Smarge can come out smokin’ I’d feel ok about this game. We’ll see…..

______________________-

So I wrote what I wrote about Smarge and I just read that Cueto is pitching today. Not sure when that happened.

another pic of The Gang. When I look at this pic I start hearing the beginning sound track of Reservoir Dogs in my head….

13716164_10153687898656752_7087447250407712853_n

1. snarkk said, on July 23, 2016 at 5:13 pm

Who knows, maybe Kelly did tell him to get ready. We may never know, given the level of questioning our local scribes do, and Bochy will not sacrifice any of his coaches. I’d venture to guess he did NOT remind Pagan. Anyway, Giants this entire season have pulled a ton of baserunning boners, more than I think is average. I wonder if it is due to the lack of Flannery on staff…

2. Flavor said, on July 23, 2016 at 5:14 pm

Brown needs to get more at bats.

3. snarkk said, on July 23, 2016 at 5:15 pm

Why the FUCKKKKKKK are we not bunting Brown to third?
    FUCKKKKKK me…

• snarkk said, on July 23, 2016 at 5:17 pm

Williamson again comes through.
      Keep this kid in the damn lineup, Bochy….

4. Flavor said, on July 23, 2016 at 5:17 pm

i get Bochy doesn’t like to bunt but that was absurd….Mac saves his ass with a single. Nice.

• snarkk said, on July 23, 2016 at 5:19 pm

Maybe Bochy figured even if Brown got on third, he wouldn’t try to score on a wild pitch, so there was no point in it…

• djloo27 said, on July 23, 2016 at 5:20 pm

Great!

5. Macdog said, on July 23, 2016 at 5:17 pm

I think Mac’s made up for his gaffe.

6. Lurker John said, on July 23, 2016 at 5:17 pm

I honestly never put a lot of thought into the third base coaching job, but the more I watch Kelly the more I see how important it is. Maybe watching Flan all those years spoiled me, but this guy seems seriously challenged to do the job. It shouldn’t be that hard. Do your homework; know who throws well and who doesn’t on the opposing team, know your base runner, get into position and make and admittedly split-second decision. Stuff like getting the runner ready for a potential WP on an IBB is fucking inexcusable.

I don’t know if he was contemplating the post-game spread or what, but he’s made a lot of mistakes on this roadie. Maybe Bochy should consider a change there, or maybe there’s no other options, but this sucks.

7. bassbaldy said, on July 23, 2016 at 5:18 pm

MacBrown! .. gotta love it!

8. Lurker John said, on July 23, 2016 at 5:18 pm

So, what’s the reason again Mac isn’t playing more? Clutch!

9. wilcojoe said, on July 23, 2016 at 5:20 pm

I think Kelly is pretty much what Snarkk likes to call a “mental midget”. Nothing more, nothing less.

10. Lurker John said, on July 23, 2016 at 5:24 pm

Is this Rocky’s son?

• Macdog said, on July 23, 2016 at 5:28 pm

He is not, but Wiki says he’s from the Bronx and “grew up playing stickball in Brownsville, Brooklyn,” so who knows, maybe Loo’s played some stickball with this guy.

11. Carstie Clausen said, on July 23, 2016 at 5:24 pm

Bookends by Mac. Impressive, especially as it’s happening in NYC. Early on i was convinced that Parker was the definite keeper. But Williamson seems to be gaining the confidence in his talents since attaining The Show. He doesn’t need to show a whole lot more ~ with his bat anyway ~ to be officially ordained as a Keeper.

• djloo27 said, on July 23, 2016 at 5:28 pm

Gotta like his bat but he’s a fuckin’ soap opera in the outfield…

• willedav said, on July 23, 2016 at 5:29 pm

hella grab in front of the fans tho. Chance to throw and elbow too.

12. willedav said, on July 23, 2016 at 5:28 pm

Career saves for Strick? Any this year?

• djloo27 said, on July 23, 2016 at 5:33 pm

One this year. Two career. 107 appearances…

13. snarkk said, on July 23, 2016 at 5:29 pm

I’ll give Casilla his due. He did a fine job over 1.2 innings.
    Strick now — oy….

14. Carstie Clausen said, on July 23, 2016 at 5:30 pm

At 27 pitches and a righteous performance Casilla gives way to Strickland. How many Flapfingers are crossed now?

15. Flavor said, on July 23, 2016 at 5:30 pm

double lol
    Ken Rosenthal ‏@Ken_Rosenthal 34s34 seconds ago
    Sources say: Sale cut up throwbacks during batting practice. Upset that, in his view, PR and jersey sales were more important than winning.

• Macdog said, on July 23, 2016 at 5:33 pm

Yeah, he just said all that on FS1 telecast.

• snarkk said, on July 23, 2016 at 5:38 pm

That kind of PR shit pays the dude’s bloated salary…

16. chipower9 said, on July 23, 2016 at 5:30 pm

Fucking serious shenanigans with the flights. Late out of NY, almost missed my connection to Sacramento, but in my seat, doors closing, and I see it is 2-1, bottom 12. GO GIANTS!

• snarkk said, on July 23, 2016 at 5:35 pm

Chi, faithful to the Orange and Black even with missed connections… 😉

• chipower9 said, on July 23, 2016 at 7:36 pm

Orange and Black until I die, snarkk!

17. Lurker John said, on July 23, 2016 at 5:35 pm

Strick is getting good movement on his 2-seamer tonight

18. Macdog said, on July 23, 2016 at 5:35 pm

Ballgame over! Giants win! THEEEEEEEEEEEEE GIANTS WIN!

19. ewisco said, on July 23, 2016 at 5:35 pm

Cue tony bennett

20. Bozo said, on July 23, 2016 at 5:35 pm

Finally……………………………

21. willedav said, on July 23, 2016 at 5:36 pm

yeah, blessed relief, from a lot of different guys today.

22. Lurker John said, on July 23, 2016 at 5:36 pm

We win!!!

• ewisco said, on July 23, 2016 at 5:37 pm

I remember this feelin .

23. snarkk said, on July 23, 2016 at 5:37 pm

Dang, finally a win since whenever.
    Patton and the 3rd Army took less time to march 100+ miles in a full on blizzard to save the guys surrounded in Bastogne….

• ewisco said, on July 23, 2016 at 5:38 pm

Nuts

• snarkk said, on July 23, 2016 at 5:39 pm

😉

24. bassbaldy said, on July 23, 2016 at 5:37 pm

Fuck Yeah! FINALLY!

25. Lurker John said, on July 23, 2016 at 5:38 pm

Strick looked tough tonight. It weren’t pretty, but a dub is a dub.

26. Macdog said, on July 23, 2016 at 5:38 pm

Good thing, too, with the Bums up 4-1.

27. blade3colorado said, on July 23, 2016 at 5:39 pm

The Flabola virus may be in remission.

• zumiee said, on July 23, 2016 at 5:40 pm

• Flavor said, on July 23, 2016 at 6:02 pm

missed this! thank you!

• djloo27 said, on July 23, 2016 at 5:41 pm

I think Dennis Z was there…

28. chipower9 said, on July 23, 2016 at 5:43 pm

Giants win! WHOOP! About fucking time!

29. bassbaldy said, on July 23, 2016 at 5:43 pm

LJ per you 5:35 … I thought I noticed that too .. thought I was hallucinating the movement on Stricks fastball ..maybe heat + humidity = closer

• Lurker John said, on July 23, 2016 at 5:52 pm

If he keeps throwing like that, he’s a viable closer candidate. That 2-seamer was really darting. Like Osich, his biggest issue is coming in and throwing strikes. But I like what I saw tonight.

30. chipower9 said, on July 23, 2016 at 5:43 pm

Happy flight for this kid!

• Lurker John said, on July 23, 2016 at 5:52 pm

Get home safe dude!!

• chipower9 said, on July 23, 2016 at 7:35 pm

Thanks, LJ! Cannot get on the ground soon enough!

31. Carstie Clausen said, on July 23, 2016 at 5:45 pm

Whodda thunk it? Did some crazy screenwriter design this script? Fess up, gang. How many actually BELIEVED the Giants would win when going into extras? Yanks have 3 killers in their BP, but they got used up relatively early on and their secondary relievers proved more vulnerable than our scraggly set. Casilla gets a much earned 27 pitch win and Strickland must have taken advantage of his relative virginity to AL hitters.

Interesting upshot is that this game should put NY into a trade mode for sure as they were teetering on the brink of thinking they had a chance at a playoff run. When they get beaten at home in extras by the famous Finnish miler Limppi Hoppinen you should know that some air just escaped their pinstriped balloon.

• djloo27 said, on July 23, 2016 at 5:51 pm

Trevor Brown is personally packing Susac’s bags…

32. zumiee said, on July 23, 2016 at 5:50 pm

Our buddy Leake is getting roughed up by the Dodgers.

33. Flavor said, on July 23, 2016 at 5:52 pm

that Mac catch in the stands was one of my all time favs. Fucking threw an elbow, gave zero fucks, was not going to be denied by some shaky gloved fan

• Bozo said, on July 23, 2016 at 5:54 pm

Made me smile.

• wilcojoe said, on July 23, 2016 at 6:05 pm

That was great, as was Bochy’s reaction.

• chipower9 said, on July 23, 2016 at 7:33 pm

I will have to look up the replay tomorrow. Fucking cheap ass airline wifi will not allow video streaming.

34. Lurker John said, on July 23, 2016 at 5:55 pm

I donned my Will Clark jersey about halfway through the game. I think that did the trick. 🙂

• bassbaldy said, on July 23, 2016 at 6:00 pm

Ah Ha! That was it! Dont take it off til November

• ewisco said, on July 23, 2016 at 6:02 pm

Let’s be safe, mid November.

• Lurker John said, on July 23, 2016 at 6:16 pm

You got it. lol

35. gianthead said, on July 23, 2016 at 6:02 pm

What my son and I have witnessed almost every year in the DC heat, the Giants do at like shit. I am sure all this heat is getting to them but I take this win with a bug smile.

Win tomorrow boys and they did what was expected on the east coast…home cooking is all they need to get back in track. Williamson is hopefully staying in NY and Andrew Miller is on that Giants plane…hot as fuck in this no AC house:(

• blade3colorado said, on July 23, 2016 at 6:24 pm

Just my take, but I’ll always choose moving around (players) versus us fans sitting in stifling heat with my boxer’s crawling up my ass crack. Tough cheese for them. Sheesh, they’re playing a game.

36. Flavor said, on July 23, 2016 at 6:03 pm

Cueto gets snubbed on a white house invite. He singlehandedly won a game for them. That is a JOKE to snub him…..

• zumiee said, on July 23, 2016 at 6:28 pm

That was lame behavior of the Royals org.

• chipower9 said, on July 23, 2016 at 7:31 pm

Fucking losers. NO CLASS.

37. Flavor said, on July 23, 2016 at 6:12 pm

Henry Schulman ‏@hankschulman 3m3 minutes ago
    Mac gave us a “fun fact.” He had TJ surgery same day, same surgeon, as Nova, whom he took deep. #sfgiants

38. djloo27 said, on July 23, 2016 at 6:17 pm

Yankee post game crew pointing out that the Yanks big 3 in the bullpen will probably all be unavailable tomorrow…

• willedav said, on July 23, 2016 at 6:23 pm

wasn’t Torre notorious for blowing up pen arms? I was surprised Miller was in there at all after all the pitches he threw yesterday (32) and giving up the blast to MacDub.

• djloo27 said, on July 23, 2016 at 8:14 pm

Absolutely Willie. A good Yankee fan could probably rattle off a half dozen guys Torre destroyed…

• Carstie Clausen said, on July 23, 2016 at 6:23 pm

And we need a monster performance by Samardzija. Maybe Law and Romo could contribute.

• Flavor said, on July 23, 2016 at 6:24 pm

same could be said about our Little 4

• zumiee said, on July 23, 2016 at 6:25 pm

Sure hope so!

• zumiee said, on July 23, 2016 at 6:26 pm

Regarding the Yanks bullpen.

39. Flavor said, on July 23, 2016 at 6:25 pm

My take from afar is that Girardi is much better at resting his position players than his BP arms.

40. Flavor said, on July 23, 2016 at 6:28 pm

exactly, cause as a lefty I know first hand how hard fucking scissors would have been in this situation:
    Julie DiCaroVerified account
    ‏@JulieDiCaro
    Finally, told Sale used a knife to do whatever cutting he did of uniforms. Which really shouldn’t add to the story but somehow does.

41. pawliekokonuts said, on July 23, 2016 at 6:47 pm

Huge win. Huge.

Yeah, I heard on the radio that Sale tore some unis to shreds.

42. Carstie Clausen said, on July 23, 2016 at 6:49 pm

Could it be that the Baseball Gods have finished with having their fun with the Giants. Just consider all those scoring opportunities in the early innings where even scalded balls somehow found their way into gloves. Then that no-go by Pagan. And it all went on and on. Amazingly the bullpen held and held and held and perhaps that, more than any other factor will have convinced the Yank’s brass that this definitely not their year. I mean if their offense can be stymied by a hunt and peck bunch of bullies, what chance do they have at striking gold ~ or even tarnished bronze.

Sell mode for the NYYs, brought to you by a little bullpen that could.

• ewisco said, on July 23, 2016 at 7:01 pm

But what would they want from us? Texiera looks done but we don’t have first basemen I’m aware of. Beltran doesn’t look quite done. Infielders? Is susac an upgrade over mcann? Bickford?

43. Macdog said, on July 23, 2016 at 6:58 pm

I hope Loo is celebrating with a Coney Island Lager.

• chipower9 said, on July 23, 2016 at 7:28 pm

Me, too! What is your celebration libation, Mac?

• Macdog said, on July 23, 2016 at 8:26 pm

I had a Sam Adams Summer Ale for dinner, so we’ll go with that.

• djloo27 said, on July 23, 2016 at 7:53 pm

Funny, Mac! Somehow between the 3 of us we managed to finish a cup of whatever the hell that was…

44. wilcojoe said, on July 23, 2016 at 7:15 pm

Scouting report on Chris Sale: He’s got a plus fastball and slider but sometimes will get in trouble with his cutter.

• pawliekokonuts said, on July 23, 2016 at 7:16 pm

boom!

• ewisco said, on July 23, 2016 at 7:59 pm

That’s great!

45. snarkk said, on July 23, 2016 at 7:24 pm

Yankees are pretty crappy, except for that 7-8-9 inning Pen triple threat. If you get them down going into the late innings, they’re not nearly as threatening as if they have YOU down then…

46. chipower9 said, on July 23, 2016 at 7:26 pm

On route…broke down and bought the wifi. Just read the recap. Damn, Mac had a hell of a game, both up and down, but most importantly, the game winner. Damn, must have been a fun game to watch!

I feel like a horse that has been ridden hard and out-up wet! It is going to be heavenly to sleep in my own bed tonight!

Gonna get a few winks. G’night girls. Will catch ya on the flip-side. Let’s take the series tomorrow!

47. zumiee said, on July 23, 2016 at 7:38 pm

Rosenthal:
    Sources: #Yankees telling clubs that they are close to trading Chapman and will hold Miller.

48. willedav said, on July 23, 2016 at 8:21 pm

Waited on a guy today who had a blue hat with 2 red stockings on it. I told him, “Cool hat”, and mentioned I knew couple guys from here who were in Fenway for Giants game and that I noticed a bunch of Giants fans there.
    He said, “didn’t work out too well.” Then added he was at Wrigley last year when Giants were there and said lot of Giants fans were there too. And said again, “That didn’t work too well either.”

So after seeing some of last night and today’s game plus comments on Fenway, what’s up with all the Giants fans back East in attendance?
    Bandwagon, or mostly for real legit old timers?

49. zumiee said, on July 23, 2016 at 8:28 pm

The jerseys that Sale objected to were those hideous mid-’70s White Sox jerseys with the huge collars. He said they messed with his range of motion.

He already had ongoing issues with the Sox front office, including the LaRoche son thing.

50. Lurker John said, on July 23, 2016 at 8:52 pm

I’ve read that Kenny Williams is difficult to work with.

51. sandog said, on July 23, 2016 at 8:55 pm

Trev and I are still here in NYC and will be at the game tomorrow. We went to a Japanese version of the musical Chicago tonight (hey, the tickets were half price and Lincoln Center is a block away… and luckily we were entertained by the show) and we are in the midst of serious talks about going to Guns n Roses/Lenny Kravitz tomorrow at Met Life Stadium AFTER the Giants game. Trev is actually the driving force on that crazy idea. Glad the Giants broke the ice today, but we were bummed to hear we are not getting Cueto tomorrow after all.
    Me cast as Mr. Blonde? Might not be a bad call as I am somewhat obsessed with that character and the Ramsay Bolton/Theon Greyjoy story line on GOT.
    Took a bike ride all around Central Park today. Many of you may know this already, but there is a dedicated bike path that goes in one direction all around the park, and it’s pretty cool–a leisurely pace completes a lap in about 30-40 minutes. I stopped for about 20 minutes to check out a band that was busking in the middle of the park, playing some Hardly/Strictly type stuff that I think Zum and my brother would both love. Worked for me too, as I am fairly enthralled watching anybody sing and play a stringed instrument up close. 3 dudes playing multiple instruments…fiddle, guitar, banjo, something that maybe looked like a mandolin. Name of the band is “The Good Morning Nags.” I guess they play all around NYC. I bought their CD for $10 to give to my brother.
    Trev and I also did the Freedom Tower observation deck earlier, which is pretty damn awesome.
    Fine dining? Not exactly. We did have some swank breakfast focaccia at my favorite local Italian place this morning, but then we were in a time crunch, so it was hot dogs at Gray’s Papaya for dinner, and yeah, we hit our favorite .99-a-slice pizza place after Chicago. It ain’t the best pizza we’ve ever had, but it’s far from the worst and it’s a great people watching spot right on Broadway near the theatre where Colbert does his show.

• zumiee said, on July 23, 2016 at 9:28 pm

Very cool!
      I checked out some of the band’s videos on YouTube. That’s music that’s right in my wheelhouse. They would be terrific at Hardly Strictly or the Kate Wolf festival. I hope they can make a west coast trip sometime.

52. zumiee said, on July 24, 2016 at 8:56 am

Morning baseball- we need the Good Smardj today.

53. Flavor said, on July 24, 2016 at 9:50 am