New York Sunday

Posted in Uncategorized by Flavor on July 24, 2016

Yesterday will be forever known as The Mac Williamson game. Along with Casilla, he deserves massive credit for killing that losing streak. I found out later that his family was in the stands. Very cool.

We still have Flap representation in New York today. San Dawg and son will be there today. Please take some final pics to bookend this trip…

Smarge vs Eovaldi today. The balls could fly far today….

1. blade3colorado said, on July 24, 2016 at 5:30 pm

Amazingly, the Mets, Indians and yes, the Giants gave up on him. I could give 2 shits about the Mets and Indians, since we benefited, but getting rid of Kent after 2002 was plain stupid when he was ranked 6th in MVP voting that season. He buried the knife in us, showing he was still productive with Houston and LA – 13th and 19th in MVP voting consecutive seasons, Silver Slugger award, and 2 AS appearances. Dude raked all the way to retirement. Just my take, but we wasted Bonds best seasons after 2002 when we gave “away” Kent.

• wilcojoe said, on July 24, 2016 at 6:22 pm

Completely agree! That 2003 team could have been something special with Kent still there.

• muchosereno said, on July 24, 2016 at 6:59 pm

I think Kent wanted out, away from Bonds. Tough situation. Ray Durham played pretty well in 2003. Kent’s a HOFer, though. imo

2. bassbaldy said, on July 24, 2016 at 5:33 pm

I never got over Kent becoming a Dodger … I still don’t understand it.

3. zumiee said, on July 24, 2016 at 5:36 pm

Hey, the Cardinal kid finally got out of the first inning. 45 pitches (!) and 6 earned runs.

That NL West lead is looking like it will be 3 games after today.

4. bassbaldy said, on July 24, 2016 at 5:40 pm

Ugh … It’s like the doomsday clock countdown.

• zumiee said, on July 24, 2016 at 5:47 pm

A nice series against the Reds would be very welcome.

• bassbaldy said, on July 24, 2016 at 6:06 pm

It sure would … And I think we are going to get it … A good series, that is.

5. zumiee said, on July 24, 2016 at 5:51 pm

That whole first inning took about 35 minutes.

• bassbaldy said, on July 24, 2016 at 6:02 pm

Feeling for that kid …. Nerves must have got to him … His entire family there … Then pffffffttt!

6. zumiee said, on July 24, 2016 at 5:55 pm

Looks like that endless talent pipeline from AAA for the Cardinals may have finally dried up.

• bassbaldy said, on July 24, 2016 at 6:04 pm

At least they are not afraid of throwing their kids in there. Are they more desperate for pitching than us? Do you think any of our kids would have done much worse than Cain in Boston?

• zumiee said, on July 24, 2016 at 6:06 pm

Cain’s contract determines that he’s going to get his chances this season. That’s just the way it is. Cain’s getting paid $20 million this season.

• Carstie Clausen said, on July 24, 2016 at 6:24 pm

Adalberto Mejia may be ready for The Show. Of course he happens to be exactly who one of our potential trade partners wants for a reliever. Whatever the fucking investment in Cain, the team should be ready to bite the bullet on him. One more start ~ at home ~ before the trading season is officially in another gear. Then he should “aggravate some condition” and Fit Albert gets the call.

7. muchosereno said, on July 24, 2016 at 6:07 pm

looks like the Cards’ kid hasn’t rehabbed from his surgery for thoracic outlet syndrome. TOS ended Noah Lowry’s career didn’t it?

• djloo27 said, on July 24, 2016 at 6:14 pm

With the Giants medical staff a bad cold can end your career…

• muchosereno said, on July 24, 2016 at 6:34 pm

especially if they send you in for surgery

8. wilcojoe said, on July 24, 2016 at 6:33 pm

The Astros have finally called up their top prospect, Alex Bregman. He will make his debut tomorrow against the Yankees. Intersting that they call him up after he has gone hitless in his last three AAA games. Maybe they were afraid he was getting bored.

• djloo27 said, on July 24, 2016 at 6:41 pm

WJ: I think you’re too young to remember the Colt .45s. I have a bit of a fascination with them.
      I cried when Walt Bond passed away…

• wilcojoe said, on July 24, 2016 at 7:03 pm

Yeah way too young. But I recently bought one of those .45’s hats. Probably the coolest baseball hat ever made.

9. zumiee said, on July 24, 2016 at 6:55 pm

Looking like Chapman is going to the Cubs for prospects.

• bassbaldy said, on July 24, 2016 at 7:14 pm

Cheeez … I thought they already had a good pen … And what’s his name, same guy as last year, he has been solid for them, I think.

10. pawliekokonuts said, on July 24, 2016 at 7:03 pm

Kent should’ve been a first-ballot HOF. Period. He’d be insane not to go in as a GIANT if / when he gets in. We’ve said it here before. THE HOF is a woeful organization. Reading remarks by its prez, Jeff Idelson??, yesterday about the veterans’ committee ooze with elite condescension.

My Mets fan friend went today. Not me. I always wanted to see Mays get in but I was broke and there were gas lines in those days. I lived in Florham Park, NJ.

11. wilcojoe said, on July 24, 2016 at 7:11 pm

The MLB trade deadline falls on a Sunday this year. I honesty don’t think I ever remember a trade going down on a Sunday.

12. blade3colorado said, on July 24, 2016 at 8:21 pm

Off topic – Debbie Wasserman Schultz announced Sunday she is stepping down as chairwoman of the Democratic National Committee. At one time, I actually liked her a lot. I thought she was a true progressive. However, she really pissed me off (as well as her DNC brethren) when she favored Hillary Clinton over Bernie Sanders in the party’s 2016 primary contest. Shit, I didn’t even need these leaked emails . . . It was quite obvious to me that she and her DC cronies wanted Hillary to win the nomination. In short, she was bought and paid for a long time ago.

• pawliekokonuts said, on July 24, 2016 at 8:28 pm

i am scratching my head trying to decide which is more off topic, Loo’s grooming commercial or this.

• snarkk said, on July 25, 2016 at 12:03 am

I think I’d vote for the brunette girl with the trimmer. For what, I dunno, but I’d vote for her…

• zumiee said, on July 24, 2016 at 8:30 pm

She’s terrible, and good riddance.
      The Obama campaigns did well because they brought in their own people instead of using the hacks at the DNC.
      If she and Hillary had listened better to the progressives in the party this time last summer, they might have kept their big lead over Bernie.

• blade3colorado said, on July 24, 2016 at 8:44 pm

I was uncertain whether she initially supported Obama or Clinton in the 2008 primaries, so I looked it up . . . You’re correct Zum – it was only after Clinton was defeated that she supported Obama. What really pissed me off about her was when Schultz vigorously opposed a 2014 medical marijuana amendment in Florida that narrowly failed to reach the 60% of votes in favour needed to amend the Constitution of Florida. She angered medical marijuana activists and major Democratic donors over this and her comparisons of medical marijuana dispensaries to “pill mills”, which over-prescribe and over-dispense painkillers to patients with dubious symptoms. Imbecile.

13. Macdog said, on July 24, 2016 at 10:15 pm

A little bonus from the NYC Flapalooza: Meeting up with Loo at one of his preferred watering holes — during the summer anyway — in Coney Island. Great open-air spot right on the boardwalk with a view of the bay, very much like a bunch of places nearby at the Jersey Shore.

14. snarkk said, on July 24, 2016 at 11:43 pm

I enjoyed seeing Giants playing the AL East, even though they played poorly. It’s cool to see other teams you don’t normally see. Give me less Rockies, more anybody else…

• bassbaldy said, on July 25, 2016 at 12:27 am

I really liked your 4:51 post snarkk. I’m not sure either if other teams experience team wide hitting slumps like the Giants do but I doubt other teams do it as frequently or with such consistently as do our Giants. I have noticed this too and it’s good to hear I’m not imagining it.

I get taken to task a lot here for speaking out about our seemingly consistent offensive ineptitude and stats are thrown back at me stating how well we rank in this or that category and the difficulty presented by 50% of our games being played in a challenging park. But simple common sense observation seems to tell me that in a general sense we are not strong offensively. What we do have seems just as obvious: consistently excellent pitching (both starters and relievers), a strong defense, and decent hitters that grind it out putting up small ball runs on the board. When any part of that equation falters — this year the weak pen stands out, of course — it’s all comes crashing down.

Since the AS break Bum & Cueto being not quite perfect in San Diego only exacerbated our weak offensive. All amplified by the general ineffectiveness of the pen. Boston & New York were variations on similar but slightly different themes.

Just watched the documentary “Fastball”. I enjoyed it. Interesting to hear Bob Gibson tell how his team’s inability to score runs for him made him pitch angry and how much it pissed him off that he always felt he had to pitch a complete game shutout for them to win. In that regard, I’m sure Bum would never say anything, nor Cueto, but it makes me wonder.

• willedav said, on July 25, 2016 at 8:13 am

lisle Giants don’t have to be great, just better than the comp and I think they are. I think they have more talent than Dodgers do at most positions and better SPs. Jansen blew another save vs. Cards by giving up HR in 9th and game wound up going 16 and LA lost and got pen fried. He has as many blown saves as Casilla (gulp).

And of course disaster is hardly unprecedented:
        2010 getting in on last day and blasting through WS tho everyone said they didn’t have enough offense to beat Philly et al.
        2012 losing both games at home to Reds
        2014 epic meltdown after being 20 games over .500 and playing Ishi and Perez in the OF in WS and 1 reliable SP.

15. snarkk said, on July 25, 2016 at 12:02 am

No surprise the Doghairs clobbered a Cards kid just up from AAA. Giants would probably have gotten 2 hits off the kid in 7 full, and be down 3-0 or something when he left…

• bassbaldy said, on July 25, 2016 at 12:47 am

Yes, that is another strange phenomena that perpetually follows our Giants. Totally weird. I wonder if there is a stat for that? Team batting average and runs scored when facing an unknown quantity pitcher? TBARSFUQ. ??

I’d be curious to know what the root of that issue is with this team as it certainly does seem like a real thing since we have all witnessed it time and time again.

For such encounters can the answer be found in how individuals prepare, or the collective prepares, or both?

16. unca_chuck said, on July 25, 2016 at 8:37 am

Kent sealed his own fate. He was an arrogant prick that was more arrogantly prickish than Barry Bonds. Not that I really gave a shit, but Kent was a very me-first kind of guy. The fight with Bonds was over Kent coming unglued when David Bell didn’t score on a double by Kent. Bonds told him to lay off, and Kent told Bonds to shut the fuck up. The hilarity ensued. Again, I could give 2 shits about his motives, but Kent rubbed a lot of people the wrong way.

His lying about crashing his motorcycle and breaking his wrist (I was washing my truck), and thus breaking his contract was the kicker.

17. unca_chuck said, on July 25, 2016 at 8:39 am

Kent sealed his own fate. He was an arrogant prick that was more arrogantly prickish than Barry Bonds. Not that I really gave a shit, but Kent was a very me-first kind of guy. The fight with Bonds was over Kent coming unglued when David Bell didn’t score on a double by Kent. Kent ripped Bell for Kent’s missing out on an RBI. Bonds told him to lay off, and Kent told Bonds to shut the fuck up. The hilarity ensued. Again, I could give 2 shits about his motives, but Kent rubbed a lot of people the wrong way.

18. wilcojoe said, on July 25, 2016 at 8:51 am

So one of the four prospects the Cubs are allegedly offering for Chapman is the #24 prospect in baseball. The Giants as far as I know don’t have any prospects in the top 100. That seems like a pretty big overpay for a two month rental.