New York Sunday

Posted in Uncategorized by Flavor on July 24, 2016

Yesterday will be forever known as The Mac Williamson game. Along with Casilla, he deserves massive credit for killing that losing streak. I found out later that his family was in the stands. Very cool.

We still have Flap representation in New York today. San Dawg and son will be there today. Please take some final pics to bookend this trip…

Smarge vs Eovaldi today. The balls could fly far today….

1. Dennis Zucchino said, on July 24, 2016 at 9:57 am

Some here know I was also at the game. Hot as hell. Sat in the bleachers and watched Cueto and 6 relievers hold the line till that extra run could be manufactured. So often during the game I would ponder how different this game and the previous loss to the Yankees would have been if Joe, Matt and Hunter would have been there. Nothing against the replacements as they were doing a good job being good Giants; but with those gents off the DL, the Yankees would have been outclassed and subject to a beat down.
    The high point was hearing the ‘lets go Giants’ from I say 6-7k Giant fans literally throughout the stadium as Strickland was taking care of the rest of the 12th.
    Pitching and backup position players have got to hold the line till we get the DL cleared.
    You freakin know LA is frantically trying to close the games behind during this time the Giants are hurting.
    Just maybe they know at full strength the Giants will be no match for them…My opinion is that this win may just be the shot the Giants needed to ‘hold that line’…. So, LA might as well go for the wild card…
    Go Giants!
    (Time for my salute to the Giants and that shot of winning whiskey.)

2. Macdog said, on July 24, 2016 at 10:06 am

Dennis Z gets us a W, good job and nice report. Stubhub had $10 tix for today’s game and even less for the bleachers, if Yankee Stadium wasn’t such a pain in the ass for me to get to, I would’ve gone in a proverbial New York minute.

3. willedav said, on July 24, 2016 at 10:13 am

speaking of Casilla he had a few more quotes for publication on being the closer of record (despite all the rumors of Giants going after big names) and a guy with 3 rings.

4. willedav said, on July 24, 2016 at 10:18 am

I like the guy but when Belt is going bad he is just awful to watch.
    Surprised he and Craw haven’t found RF seats yet.

5. bassbaldy said, on July 24, 2016 at 10:20 am

According to NY broadcast crew Giants 30 come from behind Wins are best in all Mlb. Only 24 all of last year.

• Macdog said, on July 24, 2016 at 10:26 am

I’m sure a big reason for that is the Giants never seem to score in the early innings. Looks like they’ll have to rally again today.

6. zumiee said, on July 24, 2016 at 10:24 am

Didn’t take Smardji long.

7. unca_chuck said, on July 24, 2016 at 10:25 am

First pitch j see? Gone. What is the rf? 260?

• blade3colorado said, on July 24, 2016 at 10:38 am

Just over 300 (310) per Loo. I think he said the old stadium had an even shorter right field of 296 feet.

8. Flavor said, on July 24, 2016 at 10:26 am

that was a fucking pop up. What a joke.

9. unca_chuck said, on July 24, 2016 at 10:26 am

Tha giants apparently lead the league in DH batting average

10. djloo27 said, on July 24, 2016 at 10:27 am

Cheap Yankee Stadium homer. Must’ve landed not too far from San Dawg and Trevor. They found some shade in the RF bleachers…

11. bassbaldy said, on July 24, 2016 at 10:28 am

Why is it this team insists on being behind the 8 ball early almost every game?

12. blade3colorado said, on July 24, 2016 at 10:34 am

A few observations about Yankee fans, Boston fans, etc.

1. Loo and I were sitting near a Yankee fan, who might have just been allowed beer privileges. He was a continuous tape loop of essentially, “Go Yankees” . . . No issues at all, as he was quite friendly, but nevertheless a true Yankee fanatic. I think Chi got into it with him (Chi’s intense) earlier before Chi switched seats. I was cracking up on some of the back and forth comments between this fan and Loo as well (who is very observant of everything around him). You had to be there. Also, I really enjoyed Loo and I discussing the world and my travels. Loo used the word, “insular” to describe himself, i.e., noting that he had rarely gone beyond the NY borders. Also, talked about his various occupations. Quite interesting and again, Loo doesn’t miss a beat – observant about everything . . . You have to keep up. However, no problem if you don’t, as it’s enjoyable to just enjoy his “riffs on life in general.” Clarification Loo if I am missing something here.

2. Earlier, Chi and I were sitting next to 3 other Yankee fans in back of us, and one of them attempted to take Chi’s empty souvenir soda cup and spit in it (he was chewing tobacco or something). Like I said, the dude was in the seat in back of Chi and Chi had gone to the ATM and restroom. Right before this dude spits into the cup, I said, “Hey, what the fuck are you doing? That’s my friend’s cup and he wants to keep it. Put it back . . .” He did, but made a few wise ass remarks about the Giants. Basically, I was “whatever” and just watched the game, recognizing that this is BS and no big thing. Chi got back and said, “Ready to go Steve, it’s the 5th inning and we’re meeting SD, Loo and Mac at their seats.” All of the aforementioned was unknown to Chi, until we left and I told him about it.

3. There was a promo on the big screen – which I commented about to Mac – where it made the Yankees seem like God’s gift to baseball. I guess when you’ve won 27 championships (again, this shit is emphasized all over the stadium), you can take liberty with the current truth – that they stink this season. Chime in Mac. Similarly, Yankee fans are much more vocal about their team being the best versus Boston fans, whom I found more kick back (albeit, the vast majority of Yankee fans are nice). Just a very different vibe from both. Hard to articulate, but it also extends to the two cities as well – Boston is chill and relaxed, while New York is intense, e.g., pedestrians walking fast and on a mission to who knows where???

4. The Bronx is a cool place and more chill than the rest of the boroughs in my opinion . . . Mostly black (some from the Caribbean and other nations too). In every instance where I had contact, they were quite nice and helpful. When I went back to the hotel to get the tickets, I was on the late afternoon commuter train and many were returning home from work. Same deal with children getting off from summer camp and other organized kids related outings. This one group that got on board, started singing and that was cool. My phone was dead, so I missed out on video taping it. Also, I had contact with two single moms who had approx. 3-4 kids each . . . Wow! Both ladies were well organized, reminding their kids to stay close and letting them know how many stops before they all had to get off. They also helped me regarding directions to Yankee Stadium. Amazing, positive, people! I did see a couple of instances, where beggars (possibly mentally ill) got on the train and started speaking out loud and preaching. Weird, but quite interesting. Obvious to me that they needed assistance, i.e., they rode the subway most of the day looking for handouts. Sad.

I have been to many of the great cities of the world and New York and Boston are two places where I felt really comfortable. No issues walking around and as with most places (I probably should say all), the people are friendly and helpful. That being said, they also have nuances that are all their own.

• Macdog said, on July 24, 2016 at 10:45 am

My favorite moment from that Yanks fan was, “Throw it to first, throw it to first!”

• blade3colorado said, on July 24, 2016 at 10:46 am

Yes, that was hilarious Mac. lulz

• djloo27 said, on July 24, 2016 at 10:50 am

Stop making fun of my new best friend…

• djloo27 said, on July 24, 2016 at 10:54 am

I think I used “insular” to describe Brooklyn people in general. I don’t think I ever used that word in my life before.

• Carstie Clausen said, on July 24, 2016 at 11:15 am

Recalling my summer of ’65 invested in the Village most every evening and the various people i met who as NY natives had never even been as far west as Jersey. Mindblowing.

• bassbaldy said, on July 24, 2016 at 11:36 am

Damn Stix, you were hangin’ in the Village in ’65!? .. how I would love to hear those stories.

• blade3colorado said, on July 24, 2016 at 10:59 am

Ahh, yes – I think you did on second thought. Thanks Loo.

• Macdog said, on July 24, 2016 at 11:01 am

And spot-on about the stadium: There’s no mistaking you’re at YANKEE Stadium, world titles and all. In contrast to that is the Mets’ Citi Field, where the first thing you see when you walk through the main entrance is a rotunda that celebrates, not 50-plus years of Mets baseball, but . . . Jackie Robinson.

• blade3colorado said, on July 24, 2016 at 11:48 am

Yeah Mac, per the Yankee perspective – they’re the masters of the universe . . . and until someone wins at least 20 or so championships, that’s their mind set going forward. Ha.

• djloo27 said, on July 24, 2016 at 11:09 am

Blade, thanks again for your nice words about me and I really enjoyed hanging out with you. I’m just not able to lay it out and describe it like you guys can…

• blade3colorado said, on July 24, 2016 at 11:23 am

De nada Loo . . . By the by, I am seriously thinking about having my own place in Vietnam (OH OH). Anytime you want to visit, the room is free. Same offer goes for anyone else here as well. 🙂

• djloo27 said, on July 24, 2016 at 11:26 am

Appreciate that, Blade.
        l’ll run it by Soon-Yi and get back to you…

• blade3colorado said, on July 24, 2016 at 11:46 am

lulz

13. wilcojoe said, on July 24, 2016 at 10:38 am

I saw a stat yesterday that surprised me. The Giants lead MLB with the most times a starting pitcher has made it 8 plus innings. That doesn’t surprise me as much as the number: 16 times. Pretty impressive for this day and age.

• pawliekokonuts said, on July 24, 2016 at 10:45 am

Mostly via Cueto.
      The Giants radio crew had another weird stat y’day: something like, Cueto leads the majors in getting to 0-2 count, but also in losing it. I don’t know. Some twisted thing like that. And they threw in something from last year. Too confusing to recall.

14. pawliekokonuts said, on July 24, 2016 at 10:42 am

Blade, Dennis:
    Great, great descriptions. Deep bow.
    Chi,
    This is the sort of detail to put in your book.

• blade3colorado said, on July 24, 2016 at 11:23 am

Thanks!

15. Macdog said, on July 24, 2016 at 10:43 am

That was not a cheapo.

16. Lurker John said, on July 24, 2016 at 10:47 am

Yeah, baby, Samardzija gettin’ ‘er done early. 1-7 roadie here were come.

17. Carstie Clausen said, on July 24, 2016 at 10:48 am

At least those 2 Ancient Bombers did not get gifted with ducks on the pond. Time to dissolve Eovaldi and get that congaline rolling.

18. bassbaldy said, on July 24, 2016 at 10:51 am

Did anyone else see that dugout encounter between Smarjklfwa & Rags? What do you think was being said? Rags looked like he was being firm.

19. muchosereno said, on July 24, 2016 at 10:51 am

SamaHRdzija

• djloo27 said, on July 24, 2016 at 10:56 am

Brilliant!

• pawliekokonuts said, on July 24, 2016 at 11:05 am

took me a few secs….love it

20. dirtnrocksnomo said, on July 24, 2016 at 10:54 am

Sort of surprised to see the lower ring so empty. Do NNY fans typically arrive late like dodger fan or are they just priced out?

• djloo27 said, on July 24, 2016 at 10:57 am

Priced out and bored to death by this team…

• dirtnrocksnomo said, on July 24, 2016 at 11:01 am

Thanks, DJ. I figured you’d know. Those first class lazy boys behind home plate look pretty sweet. Pedicure included with the ticket?

• Macdog said, on July 24, 2016 at 11:06 am

Another reason I’ve heard is that some of those seats are empty because the fans are wining and dining in whatever exclusive club-type setup they paid big $$$ for.

• djloo27 said, on July 24, 2016 at 11:11 am

As always, Mac is 100% right about that…

21. dirtnrocksnomo said, on July 24, 2016 at 10:58 am

I thought I saw it mentioned here that Panik is probably having more than just post concussion issues. Interesting take over on mccovey chron about moving him. 100 games last year, 70 so far this year. I’m not opposed to it (depending on what you get back of course).

22. bassbaldy said, on July 24, 2016 at 11:10 am

Lets get some fucking RUNS!!!!

23. Lurker John said, on July 24, 2016 at 11:11 am

Blade, great insider account of your trip. Those kinds of details add a lot of color to the events for those of us at home. Even though my family lived in south Jersey for 2 years while I was in high school, I’ve never been to N.Y. or Boston, both of which I’d like to visit someday. Just based on the New Yorkers I’ve met over the years, it is, imo, the most diverse cities in the world, and certainly the hub for all manner of human endeavors.

I was glad to read that the majority of fans and people in both cities are friendly and helpful. Things can get heated between fans of different teams, but, for the most part, baseball is the tie binds. Of the parks I’ve visited in my life, MLB or MiLB, I’ve always been able to find folks to chat about baseball with. Good stuff!

As for Chi, props for you for not taking any shit from the locals!

• blade3colorado said, on July 24, 2016 at 12:07 pm

Thanks LJ!

24. Lurker John said, on July 24, 2016 at 11:12 am

A lot of empty seats at the yard today!

• djloo27 said, on July 24, 2016 at 11:22 am

I think even the local and visiting Giant fans are a little gassed from the last 2 days…

• blade3colorado said, on July 24, 2016 at 12:09 pm

Yeah, that heat is exhausting.

25. djloo27 said, on July 24, 2016 at 11:15 am

Pena’s big chance…

26. Macdog said, on July 24, 2016 at 11:18 am

And the LOB Tour continues.

27. bassbaldy said, on July 24, 2016 at 11:18 am

Pena has resumed form .. too bad .. I was hoping for a miracle ..at least he made him throw a lot if pitches.

28. unca_chuck said, on July 24, 2016 at 11:25 am

Fuckity fuck. Smarge is doing well to keep it at 2 and we keep leaving turds in the bowl.

29. gianthead said, on July 24, 2016 at 11:26 am

Sitting in a cool bar literally next to (check that, the bar stretches out over the “river”) a tiny river that separates Connecticut from Rhode Island in Westerly. Getting frustrated with this offensive performance…and it is “offensive” in every form. At least my belly is full with a late brunch:) come on Giants…get it in gear…

30. wilcojoe said, on July 24, 2016 at 11:26 am

Lincecum just gave up a three run bomb to Altuve after first two batters reach in the first.

• blade3colorado said, on July 24, 2016 at 11:27 am

Whoops. Didn’t see your post WJ.

31. blade3colorado said, on July 24, 2016 at 11:26 am

Altuve 3 run bomb off of Timmie.

32. blade3colorado said, on July 24, 2016 at 11:27 am

Hate to say this, but I got a big stack against Lincecum today in DFS and it is paying off big thus far.

• Macdog said, on July 24, 2016 at 11:30 am

I took Altuve in the MLB Hit Streak contest, so I’m good for the day.

• blade3colorado said, on July 24, 2016 at 11:31 am

Valbuena just hit a bomb against him a second ago.

• Macdog said, on July 24, 2016 at 11:32 am

Oh man . . .

33. unca_chuck said, on July 24, 2016 at 11:29 am

Ouch, Tim Tim.

34. unca_chuck said, on July 24, 2016 at 11:29 am

Ouch, Tim Tim.

35. unca_chuck said, on July 24, 2016 at 11:36 am

Ho hum…….

36. bassbaldy said, on July 24, 2016 at 11:53 am

Am I imagining this? .. how many times this year have we seen this pattern: opponents get a couple of early runs, usually off dingers, we leave lots & lots of risp until the late innings when we come alive and win by one run .. now, it seems we cannot get that one run victory. Its as though there as been a minute shift that is just enough to turn the tables on us.

• djloo27 said, on July 24, 2016 at 11:57 am

I think you’re on the money there, bb.
      A few things have caught up to us – or maybe just the law of averages…

37. Flavor said, on July 24, 2016 at 11:56 am

this might be it for Timmy….

• bassbaldy said, on July 24, 2016 at 12:04 pm

Im hoping beyond hope that Timmy’s current issues are because he never got enough time to prepare … I know its a long shot but Im hoping he can hang in for another 2 or 3 starts and then at least be competitive .. right now he has moments of looking decent but they are too far & few between.

• willedav said, on July 24, 2016 at 12:10 pm

well Giants gave him a $35 mil tryout for 2 years of suckitude. At least they passed on this one.
      anyone who believes one word from his old man is a moron.
      It’s not about sticking a fork in him, he was done years ago.

• blade3colorado said, on July 24, 2016 at 12:23 pm

Good post. Agree entirely.

38. mrsprtdude said, on July 24, 2016 at 12:06 pm

Thanks to the Flappers and their great descriptions of the trip. I appreciate you all taking the time. I would echo the thought that in my trip to Yankee stadium almost everyone my wife and I met we nice gracious people even though I was geared up for the Giants. For someone who live in SoCal it was a great experience. Same for Boston this time!

39. willedav said, on July 24, 2016 at 12:07 pm

those 2 phone addicted blondes behind home plate, in the expensive seats, look like they’d rather be shoe shopping.

40. unca_chuck said, on July 24, 2016 at 12:10 pm

Samarge wearing this one. Fuck. Didn’t really deserve this but he’s glurking this one late.

• willedav said, on July 24, 2016 at 12:14 pm

yeah after the DP on great pickup by Pena bases clear thought he was out of it with a decent outing. Ugh.

41. bassbaldy said, on July 24, 2016 at 12:10 pm

Spamalot’s era climbing steadily .. now at 4.15

42. Macdog said, on July 24, 2016 at 12:12 pm

Not that it matters anyway, but the four straight rockets weren’t enough to get Smarjshitshow outta there, so they left him in for a fifth.

43. blade3colorado said, on July 24, 2016 at 12:13 pm

Altuve 2 bombs.

• blade3colorado said, on July 24, 2016 at 12:17 pm

Agree with Flav . . . Put a fork in Timmy. Sad.

44. pawliekokonuts said, on July 24, 2016 at 12:13 pm

Pffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffft.

45. bassbaldy said, on July 24, 2016 at 12:28 pm

Ok .. here we go .. we are gonna turn this mutherfukit around right here and Now! GO GIANTS .. for fucks sake!

46. wilcojoe said, on July 24, 2016 at 12:33 pm

Timmy should retire post haste. He hasn’t had a real fastball in what, four years? Five years? If he hasnt figured out how to pitch without it by now, it will never happen.

47. pawliekokonuts said, on July 24, 2016 at 12:51 pm

Let’s go, Cardinals! [tonight] #beatLA

48. djloo27 said, on July 24, 2016 at 12:58 pm

If nothing else, this road trip should push the Giants to be very serious about making a major deal.
    Seems they need more than a tweak…

• gianthead said, on July 24, 2016 at 1:20 pm

I agree whole heartedly…whole road trip seems to me that they are just going through the motions…

49. Macdog said, on July 24, 2016 at 12:59 pm

Mac with the Belt-like baserunning.

50. Bozo said, on July 24, 2016 at 1:18 pm

Bah.

51. djloo27 said, on July 24, 2016 at 1:18 pm

Mailed it in…

52. Macdog said, on July 24, 2016 at 1:25 pm

I think the Giants had a lead twice the entire road trip, both in extra innings: the Posey HR in San Diego, and yesterday’s win.

53. chipower9 said, on July 24, 2016 at 1:29 pm

What is happening FU? Made it home last night around midnight. Serious shenanigans in Charlotte getting on the flight (I had a damned boarding pass printed at the airport, but still confusion). Luckily I got on.

I loved the trip Blade, Loo, Mac, SanD (and Trevor), and GiantH, but damned it felt good to sleep in MY BED. And it was cool as hell to pull into the driveway at midnight and hear my dogs bark their fool heads off!! Music to my ears.

Slow morning putzing in the garden and yard. Took my dog to play frisbee. Came home and cooked a killer omelet and had a bloody mary. Now if the fucking Giants could just sustain a conga line and knock-out the Yankees, the day would be complete!

Thanks again boys for the great times in Boston and NYC. It was truly a once in a lifetime experience.

Loo – thanks again so much for making it. It was cool as hell to finally meet you. You are a righteous dude…don’t ever change.

I know I am delayed a few minutes in watching the game (got a late start on the recording) so going to post this and wait for the game to be over before I jump back on.

Make it a wonderful Sunday, boys.

• djloo27 said, on July 24, 2016 at 2:58 pm

The feeling’s mutual, Chi. You were a big part of a day that will always be a happy memory for me.

54. Carstie Clausen said, on July 24, 2016 at 1:30 pm

Middle of the 3rd got me outdoors where i belong rather than in this meltdown resumed. Cut up some branches from a deadfall willow with the 21″ swedesaw. Then off to the composter for sorting out stuff to topdress more of the gardens. Pulled a few weeds there. Also did a wee bit of chinking on a stone pathway through the terrace gardens abuilding.

Coming back in my take was the Giants would be down by 4-1. It was the top of the 9th with two outs and
    Pagan on first, Belt at bat. So it ended up 5-2 and SamWhatAm once again has turned into
    SamWhatWouldaCouldaShoulda while the offense continues to reek.

If home cookin with the Reds in town doesn’t provide a quick cure, October dreams may segue into fantasy. Or is it Fan T Assy?

55. gianthead said, on July 24, 2016 at 1:39 pm

When was Brad Penny on the Giants…2009? After reading Blade’s Boston-NY fan recap, reminded me of the game I took Jackson to in Philly and it was the first day Penny joined the Giants and think it was late August.

I typically, as mentioned before only wear my SF cap at road games, and unlike my own experience this week in Boston with great conversations with Red Sox fans and what Chia Blade and the out of towners experienced in NY, the Philly fans are not very friendly. I also commented in my post Fenway report that it seems to me that there are a lot of Giant bandwagoners that have surfaced after all these world series wins. When we were in Philly, we may have seen 4-5 Giant fans at the game…tops…

One a-hole leaned over the railing during Giants BP hurling insults at Penny and maybe just 10 feet from him, and again this was his first day in a Giant uniform, that I think if Penny was any closer to him he would have beaten this guy to a bloody pulp. There was this air of animosity that I’ve never seen from Giants players, I think a copule other Giants wanted to pop this guy.

I dont remember who it was standing closer to the a-hole but it was one of the older relievers just responded sarcastically with “That isnt very nice!” Don’t think I have ever seen such obnoxious behavior against an opposing player. Now what invective Giant fans have given to Fodgers and Lasorda is an entirely different thing. Best line I got off was directed at Broxton at a Nats game coming in from pre-game warm-ups was, “Hey Broxton stay away from the buffet table!” He was a walking fat ass at the time…still is I think.

• Macdog said, on July 24, 2016 at 1:47 pm

If that’s the game that Penny pitched, I was one of the other 4-5 Giants fans there.

56. bassbaldy said, on July 24, 2016 at 1:41 pm

I wanna say this roadtrip may NOT be a sign that we are as putrid as we seem.

I think we are having synchronicity problems. A game we hit well, the pitching blows it .. and vice versa. Occasionally, those two areas are doing ok and we get sunk by the rare defensive orbas running gaff.

57. blade3colorado said, on July 24, 2016 at 1:47 pm

Got a 213 score going in Fan Duel . . . The big zero in my LU is Denard Span. Flavor might understand and have empathy. Sigh . . .

• snarkk said, on July 24, 2016 at 2:10 pm

So far, Span has to be considered a bust. Season OBP at .328 for the leadoff guy? That is lame. No pop = SLG at .339. I see no reason to play him over Parker and Williamson other than the contract. Parker could probably play CF, Williamson has to be at a corner. I’m not sweating Williamson’s glove any more — he can improve that with more play and coaching. You can’t teach/learn power…

58. bassbaldy said, on July 24, 2016 at 1:56 pm

I wanna say this roadtrip may NOT be a sign that we are as putrid as we seem.

I think we are having synchronicity problems — we are a little out if wack. A game we hit well, the pitching blows it .. and vice versa. Occasionally, those two areas are doing ok and we then get sunk by the rare defensive or (more frequent) base running gaff. Out of synch.

Even with Belts slump, the emergence of Mac, and decent production from the subs, shows we are actually in better shape than we think.

If we go home and stomp the piss outta the Reds, my point will be proven. If we dont, I will concede we are in deep doo doo and something major needs to be done.

I hope we hang tough with the ‘big shake up’ concept at least until the end of this home stand.

• bassbaldy said, on July 24, 2016 at 2:08 pm

Apologies for the weird incomplete dbl post .. bass player fingers typing on a tiny ‘dumb’ phone not a good combo for coherence .. that’s my excuse & Im sticking with it.

59. snarkk said, on July 24, 2016 at 2:05 pm

.125 team RISP for the entire roadie (9 for 72).
    16 hits RISP over the last 122 (.131)
    Hard to win games with that.
    I think there is no longer a June swoon.
    The swoon occurs whenever the Giants hit the inevitable summer long roadie back east that is in the middle of the heat. BF is onto something. They can’t seem to play worth a damn in hot weather…

60. chipower9 said, on July 24, 2016 at 2:05 pm

Okay, I was watching the game on a delay, so for me, the game is finally over. I have told you all over the past week or so that this team needs some adversity (they faced a ton of it in ’10, ’12, and ’14u ), so bring it on.

Every team and players (think Belt) go through rough spells. I still think given the injuries, and inconsistencies of the bullpen, that this team is pretty damned good. If they can get healthy soon (or at least Panik and Pence), I think things will start looking up (yeah, I know…I know…I am almost always the optimist). I have not heard anything about DuffMan in a week or so, but they really must slow play that achilles. I heard this morning that Pence and Panik are basically ready…Giants just be very conservative to ensure they are good to go.

Oh well, wash that shit off and get ready for seven against the Reds and Natty Nats at home before another east coast swing. Bottom line, I am not sweating this.

Also looking forward to seeing what goes down before the deadline. You know Sabevans is going to be buying (or trying to buy).

• bassbaldy said, on July 24, 2016 at 2:36 pm

I basically agree with everything you’ve said Chi. Yet, this problem with risp has been going on all season and it has been building momentum. And its mostly NOT a problem with the subs, its on the regulars. Our overall record seems to point to the fact that we are a weak offensive team but one with great overall SP, excellent defense in the field that is often times stymied by the pen & exacerbated by the lack of timely hitting (rarely are we making teams pay for their mistakes as they are us). However, since the AS break all these issues – stuff we found a way to surmount before the break – are getting the best of us now. I believe if Bum & JC superstar can keep it up, we will get back on track no matter what.

61. blade3colorado said, on July 24, 2016 at 2:10 pm

IP H R ER BB SO HR PC-ST ERA
    T Lincecum 1.1 7 8 8 2 0 3 50-26 8.70

Wow!

• snarkk said, on July 24, 2016 at 2:13 pm

Brutal. Need some DL if the next one is like that…

• bassbaldy said, on July 24, 2016 at 2:16 pm

YIKES!

62. snarkk said, on July 24, 2016 at 2:25 pm

Bobby Evans apparently admitted to Lurie that they blew it bringing Cain to pitch his first game back at Fenway. No kidding. Nobody was predicting that was going to be a good move, quite the opposite. And, the expected crap fest happened. Suarez could have started. Maybe result would be same, but who knows? That move with Cain, tells me the FO is not thinking very clearly on him. That contract is so huge, and its been such a bust for 2 1/2 years, I think they are going to keep dragging him out there until it is just too brutal to go on. It may never get that brutal, but bad enough that the squad will basically just lose almost every start, because this team can’t score enough to overcome his crapness…

• blade3colorado said, on July 24, 2016 at 2:31 pm

If I’m Cain, I hang out with Peavy every minute I can. Say what you will about Peavy, but he knows how to pitch in the twilight of his career. He did last season and he’s doing it again this season. To me, Cain is getting close to = Lincecum.

• snarkk said, on July 24, 2016 at 2:35 pm

I totally agree. Right now, I’d pitch Peavy in a playoff game over Cain. Not even a close call. Cain’s deal is now fully in Zito territory. He needs to pull out of the crapfest starts ASAP, otherwise I’d bring a young arm up and go with it. Totally unlike Giants to do that, but without pulling out of his nosedive, IMO that contract has no bearing at all anymore. He’s constantly hurt, and always “coming back”…

• Carstie Clausen said, on July 24, 2016 at 4:24 pm

Yeah, i made note of that when the Break was over and the pitchers announced vs Dago and Boston. What occurred to me then certainly should have been obvious to professionals in the front office and on the field ~ here we got a RH flyball pitcher back from a long stint on the DL and still not geared in and they set him up to face perhaps the most dominant offense in MLB and in their Green Monster dominated playpen besides.

Might have been smarter off to have reversed the rotation, essentially, with Peavy, Cain and Smargie lined
      up against SD and then Boston getting to look at Cueto and Bumgarner.

63. snarkk said, on July 24, 2016 at 2:44 pm

Gaylord Perry’s statue will be dedicated Aug 13. I’m not real thrilled about that. Whatever. I was around when he pitched for SF, he was very good, but he was traded out, and spent more than a second half his career elsewhere with many stops, doing more in that latter half than his SF time, including a Cy. I just never felt much fan love for the guy; if he hadn’t made the HOF somehow, there’s no statue and he’s remembered in the distance as a very good Giant. I’ve got more fanlove for Kirk Reuter, by far. He started 277 games for SF, Perry 283. Just 134 of Perry’s 314 career wins were for SF. And, Perry was more than a bit of a pain in the arse…

• djloo27 said, on July 24, 2016 at 3:14 pm

Chi and I were talking statues at the bar Friday. He loves Marichal’s the most I think. We were wondering if and when Bonds ever gets one and we agreed that Jeff Kent’s Giant career compares very favorably to Cepeda’s…

• Bozo said, on July 24, 2016 at 4:18 pm

Not to be nitpicky but Gaylord has two Cys (one in each league). Had 314 wins and 3,534 Ks in his career (might be a reason he made the HOF). Out of 22 years in baseball, 10 of them were with the Giants and he’s in the Hall as a Giant. I don’t see why you don’t think he should have a statue.
      My wife and I thought about coming out for that game but just couldn’t pull the trigger on a West Coast trip right now. He is sort of a neighbor of ours and we think he’s a pretty nice guy and not a pain at all.

• pawliekokonuts said, on July 24, 2016 at 4:29 pm

well said

• djloo27 said, on July 24, 2016 at 4:37 pm

• blade3colorado said, on July 24, 2016 at 4:43 pm

Very well said John. I love Kirk Reuter too, but Gaylord has been a good Giant (which snarkk acknowledged) and I think he is well deserving of a statue. Same deal with what Loo and Chi said about Bonds. Should have been approved already Giants brass.

• snarkk said, on July 24, 2016 at 11:46 pm

Not saying Perry shouldn’t be in the HOF with his career, including the spitter nonsense. 314 wins gets you in, hands down. I just personally don’t feel much for the guy as a Giants fan. He enjoyed far more than half his career wins elsewhere, though SF was his longest one stop. Bonds is deserving, but apparently he’ll be lucky to get into the HOF in a decade or two through the back door. Meanwhile, he should get a statue without HOF status…

64. snarkk said, on July 24, 2016 at 2:58 pm

Piazza and Griffey into the HOF today. That’s fine, they’re deserving, with the HOF a given joke now. Piazza has the best all time OPS+ for MLB catchers at 141. Posey is next at 139. Bench is at 127 or so. The thing that is a joke is that Piazza had tons of ‘roid rumors, yet somehow he gets the writers’ golden handshake. Bonds gets the lump of coal, with a career resume that dwarfs Piazza’s. Griffey obviously belongs, he’s had no PEDs talk apparently — but, there’s obviously no guarantee he was always clean…

• blade3colorado said, on July 24, 2016 at 4:45 pm

No arguing about what you just wrote.

65. zumiee said, on July 24, 2016 at 3:38 pm

I read an interesting article the other day about the new Dodger outfielder Andrew Toles who has been getting more playing time lately because of injuries to other guys. He was a college star and got drafted by the Rays; but had some behavioral issues and some anxiety issues, and was cut by the Rays two years ago. He was completely out of baseball last season, and worked at a gas station for a while. The Rays guy who drafted him, Friedman, works in the Dodgers front office now, and decided to give the guy another chance. They signed him to a Single A deal at the start of this season, and he progressed quickly through the minors and is now getting his shot with the big club. He basically looks like a younger, faster version of Span, beard and all. The Dodgers are probably very ready to deal Puig, anyway. Trayce Thompson’s season has cooled off. Ethier may not be back at all this season. His hairline leg fracture just isn’t healing very fast.

66. pawliekokonuts said, on July 24, 2016 at 3:50 pm

This was a dullard of a road trip — for the team, not our FlapRoadWarriors. I studiously avoided most of, not wanting to be the one who rubbernecks by a passing accident. Think of it, the Yankees took a series in which THEY were abysmal! Anyway, this distinctly reminds me of 2012: Pittsburgh, before ASG, hot as a steel furnace, bedraggled, worn, depleted, flat.

That year turned out more than merely okay.

(See, even Doomers can let optimism burst through.)

67. unca_chuck said, on July 24, 2016 at 3:57 pm

Insert DJ’s Jimmy Ray Hart rant. Which in totally behind. Perry? Liked him when he was here, and didn’t really care about him when he left. But I sure noticed his success. But if you are building statues, Will Clark and Robby Thompson seemed to mean more to the team in their time. Same with fricking Kevin Mtchell.

Perry had the Same career arc as Baby Bull, though. A lot of their success wasn’t here.

68. willedav said, on July 24, 2016 at 3:57 pm

Everyone blows up at RISP hitting but I think that is cyclical, like winning one run games. Over a time period (month or two, year) you are going to have fluctuations and be better at it, or suck.

I don’t think Giants need a big deal. but if I did, I’d be more into 2b/3b replacement than pitching. And maybe that comes from minors, including Specs once he gets some ABs.

Second year in a row Panik has missed a lot of time and his numbers this year are nowhere near last year, just like Duffy. Neither of these guys seem like top of order hitters to me and I’d argue their replacements haven’t been that big drop off.

• snarkk said, on July 24, 2016 at 4:07 pm

Panik had the back thing last year, and a bit this year, but this year he’s been out the most with the beaning and concussion. I wouldn’t say that indicates the guy is injury prone after only 1 1/2 seasons. I like him a lot, he’s got a flat swing and a very good batting eye, plus a pretty good glove. I think he’s a better player overall than Duffy, so if anybody were replaced, Duffy wouldn’t bother me. He’s good in the clubhouse, though, witness the Willie Mac award. Something to be said for that…

69. snarkk said, on July 24, 2016 at 4:09 pm

Cards bringing up a kid pitcher from AAA tonite vs LA, his first MLB start. On ESPN Sunday night game. If this were SF, we’d guess the kid would slay them, we know how they do against unknowns. LA? Probably they’ll smoke the kid…

70. djloo27 said, on July 24, 2016 at 4:11 pm

Slightly off topic. I just saw this commercial on regular TV and I have to admit, I’m a little shocked:

• Lurker John said, on July 24, 2016 at 4:27 pm

Pretty risque.

• pawliekokonuts said, on July 24, 2016 at 4:36 pm

I mean, what can one say? Not much without risking ill repute. The topic would be totally off-limits years ago, even if it were more oblique. i give them credit, though. Pretty clever. (Not cleaver.) They came at it sideways and breezily. (Lots of innuendo here if you want it.) The NYT had an article a week or two ago saying mostly all women not ‘mature’ now trim. The headline noted that doctors are baffled. That was click-bait I did not succumb to. Come to think of it, Loo’s “slightly off topic” intro is very funny.

• djloo27 said, on July 24, 2016 at 6:22 pm

The first time I saw a shaved one up close it was startling.
        I was always used to friggin’ hay field…

71. snarkk said, on July 24, 2016 at 4:16 pm

There is more action in that 30 seconds than the Giants entire roadie…

• pawliekokonuts said, on July 24, 2016 at 4:36 pm

hahahahahaha … and more to activate the male RISP

72. zumiee said, on July 24, 2016 at 4:44 pm

The Dodgers faced a AAA call-up in the Nats series, too, earlier this week. They hammered that guy.

• snarkk said, on July 24, 2016 at 4:51 pm

Yup. I can understand Giants not hitting well with 3 of their starters out. But, this team over a number of seasons seems prone to long stretches where literally the entire team can’t hit, including the guys with big paychecks. I don’t know if many other squads do that, maybe they do. Anyway, Belt is taking major abuse for his roadie implosion, but the entire team except Brown and Williamson did squat. Posey and Craw were right next to Belt in terms of non production — a ground out or pop out are as much an out as a called or swinging K. Craw had nary an RBI, like Belt. And, Belt was consistently the best hitter on the team next to Craw for the first half…

73. wilcojoe said, on July 24, 2016 at 4:47 pm

I still think Jeff Kent is the most underrated SF Giant of all time. I truely believe Kent had more to do with Bond’s success than steroids ever could. Of course, one could say the same about Kent benefiting from the presence of Bonds. In fact, I would rate him as the most important Giant hitter not named Bonds or Clark in the last 30 years. It’s a joke he is not in the HOF, let alone on the first ballot.

• snarkk said, on July 24, 2016 at 4:53 pm

I always liked Kent. He produced. And, no excuses if he screwed up. The guy was a baller. His hitting stats dwarf Joe Morgan’s stats, Joe of the HOF crew that is into pulling up the ladder and leaving everybody else out of the HOF clubhouse…

• djloo27 said, on July 24, 2016 at 5:10 pm

He was tremendous He wore Candy Maldonado’s # 21 with great honor.
        Guys they’ve given #21 to since:

Ruben Rivera
        Carlos Valderrama
        Eric Young
        Tony Torcato
        Jason Ellison
        Alex Sanchez
        Ryan Klesko
        John Bowker
        Freddy Sanchez
        Nick Noonan
        Tony Abreu
        Conor Gillaspie

74. zumiee said, on July 24, 2016 at 5:13 pm

Standard camera shots of the young player’s nervous parents, family, and friends. So standard they’re a cliche now.

• zumiee said, on July 24, 2016 at 5:14 pm

And he promptly gives up a single to Utley.

• zumiee said, on July 24, 2016 at 5:16 pm

And a single to Seager.

• zumiee said, on July 24, 2016 at 5:20 pm

And walks Turner.

• zumiee said, on July 24, 2016 at 5:22 pm

And a grandslam to Gonzalez.

• zumiee said, on July 24, 2016 at 5:25 pm

And a double to Kendrick.

• zumiee said, on July 24, 2016 at 5:33 pm

And a 2-RBI single to Kazmir, the pitcher.

• djloo27 said, on July 24, 2016 at 5:17 pm

You’re right, Zum. I wish one of these dads was a foul-mouthed drunk…

• zumiee said, on July 24, 2016 at 5:27 pm

His dad may get there before this is over.

75. bassbaldy said, on July 24, 2016 at 5:21 pm

I cannot disagree with Willedav that risp is cyclical but even though this team has had its cycles of positive production in the area, it has been outweighed by the negatives. I’m starting to believe that there is a psychological issue at play. We are not a dominant team offensively; we don’t have a lot of power. The hitters knowing that, begin to press when they are behind in the count and on the scoreboard. Generally, the results are not good.

I also agree with Snarkk that losing Panik & Duffy hasn’t been such a big deal. Their replacements have been more than adequate. Yet, when P & D are playing to their potential I think they are the prime instigators of the congaline — something we’ve seen far too little of this year. Whether we ever again see what they showed us last year is an arguable point. Who can say for sure?

For various reasons the most obvious thing for me personally, and maybe it’s just based in my doomer attitude, is that this team has been a house of cards waiting to topple. The fact that it has doesn’t make me feel righteous. I wish I was wrong, but I don’t think I am.

But it’s a weird year for sure. World beaters (sort of) for awhile, then suddenly looking like a bunch of amateurs. The hope I carry is in the realization that those 3 recent WS championship years were more than a little odd too in the way they unfolded. Maybe we have to take this low point as a sign of great things coming our way just over the horizon. Not an easy mantle to carry for a doomer like myself but an attitude I will do my best to foster.

76. blade3colorado said, on July 24, 2016 at 5:30 pm

Amazingly, the Mets, Indians and yes, the Giants gave up on him. I could give 2 shits about the Mets and Indians, since we benefited, but getting rid of Kent after 2002 was plain stupid when he was ranked 6th in MVP voting that season. He buried the knife in us, showing he was still productive with Houston and LA – 13th and 19th in MVP voting consecutive seasons, Silver Slugger award, and 2 AS appearances. Dude raked all the way to retirement. Just my take, but we wasted Bonds best seasons after 2002 when we gave “away” Kent.

• wilcojoe said, on July 24, 2016 at 6:22 pm

Completely agree! That 2003 team could have been something special with Kent still there.

• muchosereno said, on July 24, 2016 at 6:59 pm

I think Kent wanted out, away from Bonds. Tough situation. Ray Durham played pretty well in 2003. Kent’s a HOFer, though. imo

77. bassbaldy said, on July 24, 2016 at 5:33 pm

I never got over Kent becoming a Dodger … I still don’t understand it.

78. zumiee said, on July 24, 2016 at 5:36 pm

Hey, the Cardinal kid finally got out of the first inning. 45 pitches (!) and 6 earned runs.

That NL West lead is looking like it will be 3 games after today.

79. bassbaldy said, on July 24, 2016 at 5:40 pm

Ugh … It’s like the doomsday clock countdown.

• zumiee said, on July 24, 2016 at 5:47 pm

A nice series against the Reds would be very welcome.

• bassbaldy said, on July 24, 2016 at 6:06 pm

It sure would … And I think we are going to get it … A good series, that is.

80. zumiee said, on July 24, 2016 at 5:51 pm

That whole first inning took about 35 minutes.

• bassbaldy said, on July 24, 2016 at 6:02 pm

Feeling for that kid …. Nerves must have got to him … His entire family there … Then pffffffttt!

81. zumiee said, on July 24, 2016 at 5:55 pm

Looks like that endless talent pipeline from AAA for the Cardinals may have finally dried up.

• bassbaldy said, on July 24, 2016 at 6:04 pm

At least they are not afraid of throwing their kids in there. Are they more desperate for pitching than us? Do you think any of our kids would have done much worse than Cain in Boston?

• zumiee said, on July 24, 2016 at 6:06 pm

Cain’s contract determines that he’s going to get his chances this season. That’s just the way it is. Cain’s getting paid $20 million this season.

• Carstie Clausen said, on July 24, 2016 at 6:24 pm

Adalberto Mejia may be ready for The Show. Of course he happens to be exactly who one of our potential trade partners wants for a reliever. Whatever the fucking investment in Cain, the team should be ready to bite the bullet on him. One more start ~ at home ~ before the trading season is officially in another gear. Then he should “aggravate some condition” and Fit Albert gets the call.

82. muchosereno said, on July 24, 2016 at 6:07 pm

looks like the Cards’ kid hasn’t rehabbed from his surgery for thoracic outlet syndrome. TOS ended Noah Lowry’s career didn’t it?

• djloo27 said, on July 24, 2016 at 6:14 pm

With the Giants medical staff a bad cold can end your career…

• muchosereno said, on July 24, 2016 at 6:34 pm

especially if they send you in for surgery

83. wilcojoe said, on July 24, 2016 at 6:33 pm

The Astros have finally called up their top prospect, Alex Bregman. He will make his debut tomorrow against the Yankees. Intersting that they call him up after he has gone hitless in his last three AAA games. Maybe they were afraid he was getting bored.

• djloo27 said, on July 24, 2016 at 6:41 pm

WJ: I think you’re too young to remember the Colt .45s. I have a bit of a fascination with them.
      I cried when Walt Bond passed away…

• wilcojoe said, on July 24, 2016 at 7:03 pm

Yeah way too young. But I recently bought one of those .45’s hats. Probably the coolest baseball hat ever made.

84. zumiee said, on July 24, 2016 at 6:55 pm

Looking like Chapman is going to the Cubs for prospects.

• bassbaldy said, on July 24, 2016 at 7:14 pm

Cheeez … I thought they already had a good pen … And what’s his name, same guy as last year, he has been solid for them, I think.

85. pawliekokonuts said, on July 24, 2016 at 7:03 pm

Kent should’ve been a first-ballot HOF. Period. He’d be insane not to go in as a GIANT if / when he gets in. We’ve said it here before. THE HOF is a woeful organization. Reading remarks by its prez, Jeff Idelson??, yesterday about the veterans’ committee ooze with elite condescension.

My Mets fan friend went today. Not me. I always wanted to see Mays get in but I was broke and there were gas lines in those days. I lived in Florham Park, NJ.

86. wilcojoe said, on July 24, 2016 at 7:11 pm

The MLB trade deadline falls on a Sunday this year. I honesty don’t think I ever remember a trade going down on a Sunday.

87. blade3colorado said, on July 24, 2016 at 8:21 pm

Off topic – Debbie Wasserman Schultz announced Sunday she is stepping down as chairwoman of the Democratic National Committee. At one time, I actually liked her a lot. I thought she was a true progressive. However, she really pissed me off (as well as her DNC brethren) when she favored Hillary Clinton over Bernie Sanders in the party’s 2016 primary contest. Shit, I didn’t even need these leaked emails . . . It was quite obvious to me that she and her DC cronies wanted Hillary to win the nomination. In short, she was bought and paid for a long time ago.

• pawliekokonuts said, on July 24, 2016 at 8:28 pm

i am scratching my head trying to decide which is more off topic, Loo’s grooming commercial or this.

• snarkk said, on July 25, 2016 at 12:03 am

I think I’d vote for the brunette girl with the trimmer. For what, I dunno, but I’d vote for her…

• zumiee said, on July 24, 2016 at 8:30 pm

She’s terrible, and good riddance.
      The Obama campaigns did well because they brought in their own people instead of using the hacks at the DNC.
      If she and Hillary had listened better to the progressives in the party this time last summer, they might have kept their big lead over Bernie.

• blade3colorado said, on July 24, 2016 at 8:44 pm

I was uncertain whether she initially supported Obama or Clinton in the 2008 primaries, so I looked it up . . . You’re correct Zum – it was only after Clinton was defeated that she supported Obama. What really pissed me off about her was when Schultz vigorously opposed a 2014 medical marijuana amendment in Florida that narrowly failed to reach the 60% of votes in favour needed to amend the Constitution of Florida. She angered medical marijuana activists and major Democratic donors over this and her comparisons of medical marijuana dispensaries to “pill mills”, which over-prescribe and over-dispense painkillers to patients with dubious symptoms. Imbecile.

88. Macdog said, on July 24, 2016 at 10:15 pm

A little bonus from the NYC Flapalooza: Meeting up with Loo at one of his preferred watering holes — during the summer anyway — in Coney Island. Great open-air spot right on the boardwalk with a view of the bay, very much like a bunch of places nearby at the Jersey Shore.

89. snarkk said, on July 24, 2016 at 11:43 pm

I enjoyed seeing Giants playing the AL East, even though they played poorly. It’s cool to see other teams you don’t normally see. Give me less Rockies, more anybody else…

• bassbaldy said, on July 25, 2016 at 12:27 am

I really liked your 4:51 post snarkk. I’m not sure either if other teams experience team wide hitting slumps like the Giants do but I doubt other teams do it as frequently or with such consistently as do our Giants. I have noticed this too and it’s good to hear I’m not imagining it.

I get taken to task a lot here for speaking out about our seemingly consistent offensive ineptitude and stats are thrown back at me stating how well we rank in this or that category and the difficulty presented by 50% of our games being played in a challenging park. But simple common sense observation seems to tell me that in a general sense we are not strong offensively. What we do have seems just as obvious: consistently excellent pitching (both starters and relievers), a strong defense, and decent hitters that grind it out putting up small ball runs on the board. When any part of that equation falters — this year the weak pen stands out, of course — it’s all comes crashing down.

Since the AS break Bum & Cueto being not quite perfect in San Diego only exacerbated our weak offensive. All amplified by the general ineffectiveness of the pen. Boston & New York were variations on similar but slightly different themes.

Just watched the documentary “Fastball”. I enjoyed it. Interesting to hear Bob Gibson tell how his team’s inability to score runs for him made him pitch angry and how much it pissed him off that he always felt he had to pitch a complete game shutout for them to win. In that regard, I’m sure Bum would never say anything, nor Cueto, but it makes me wonder.

• willedav said, on July 25, 2016 at 8:13 am

lisle Giants don’t have to be great, just better than the comp and I think they are. I think they have more talent than Dodgers do at most positions and better SPs. Jansen blew another save vs. Cards by giving up HR in 9th and game wound up going 16 and LA lost and got pen fried. He has as many blown saves as Casilla (gulp).

And of course disaster is hardly unprecedented:
        2010 getting in on last day and blasting through WS tho everyone said they didn’t have enough offense to beat Philly et al.
        2012 losing both games at home to Reds
        2014 epic meltdown after being 20 games over .500 and playing Ishi and Perez in the OF in WS and 1 reliable SP.

90. snarkk said, on July 25, 2016 at 12:02 am

No surprise the Doghairs clobbered a Cards kid just up from AAA. Giants would probably have gotten 2 hits off the kid in 7 full, and be down 3-0 or something when he left…

• bassbaldy said, on July 25, 2016 at 12:47 am

Yes, that is another strange phenomena that perpetually follows our Giants. Totally weird. I wonder if there is a stat for that? Team batting average and runs scored when facing an unknown quantity pitcher? TBARSFUQ. ??

I’d be curious to know what the root of that issue is with this team as it certainly does seem like a real thing since we have all witnessed it time and time again.

For such encounters can the answer be found in how individuals prepare, or the collective prepares, or both?

91. unca_chuck said, on July 25, 2016 at 8:37 am

Kent sealed his own fate. He was an arrogant prick that was more arrogantly prickish than Barry Bonds. Not that I really gave a shit, but Kent was a very me-first kind of guy. The fight with Bonds was over Kent coming unglued when David Bell didn’t score on a double by Kent. Bonds told him to lay off, and Kent told Bonds to shut the fuck up. The hilarity ensued. Again, I could give 2 shits about his motives, but Kent rubbed a lot of people the wrong way.

His lying about crashing his motorcycle and breaking his wrist (I was washing my truck), and thus breaking his contract was the kicker.

92. unca_chuck said, on July 25, 2016 at 8:39 am

Kent sealed his own fate. He was an arrogant prick that was more arrogantly prickish than Barry Bonds. Not that I really gave a shit, but Kent was a very me-first kind of guy. The fight with Bonds was over Kent coming unglued when David Bell didn’t score on a double by Kent. Kent ripped Bell for Kent’s missing out on an RBI. Bonds told him to lay off, and Kent told Bonds to shut the fuck up. The hilarity ensued. Again, I could give 2 shits about his motives, but Kent rubbed a lot of people the wrong way.

93. wilcojoe said, on July 25, 2016 at 8:51 am

So one of the four prospects the Cubs are allegedly offering for Chapman is the #24 prospect in baseball. The Giants as far as I know don’t have any prospects in the top 100. That seems like a pretty big overpay for a two month rental.