Home

Posted in Uncategorized by Flavor on July 25, 2016

Ahhhhhh can you feel that? I can. That’s the sweet flow of a gentle marine breeze. Feels good. There are unconfirmed reports that breeze hit the players in the face as soon as they got off the plane and many of them fell to their knees, sobbing. Gratitude.

Hopefully the weather and the travel didn’t take too much out of our guys. The Reds are pretty bad but they’ve got some hitters who can make you pay. I’m still not sold on Peavy but appreciate what he’s doing or trying to do. He’s Cy Young compared to Cain.

Imagine how pissed off we’d be if Evans had signed Lincecum?

Time to get back on the winning beam, one way or another…..

1. zumiee said, on July 25, 2016 at 10:24 pm

Another stupid loss. At this rate the Dodgers will be passing us like in a roadrunner cartoon.

• blade3colorado said, on July 25, 2016 at 10:28 pm

• unca_chuck said, on July 25, 2016 at 10:30 pm

Good to see that fucking road runner finally get his.

• blade3colorado said, on July 25, 2016 at 10:31 pm

Yep . . . and hopefully, the Dodgers too.

2. zumiee said, on July 25, 2016 at 10:27 pm

Shawn Estes with the awesome spin: “Peavy pitched well until the 2-run HRs.”

• snarkk said, on July 25, 2016 at 10:56 pm

Zumie – I edited your comment by mistake! Put back your comment, sorry…

3. unca_chuck said, on July 25, 2016 at 10:27 pm

2.5. up. We may be in 2nd faster than planned. Adversity is staring us in the face. 1-8 is a pretty good sign of that. Boston is a good team. The Yanks, Pads, and Reds suck pole. And we can’t do shit against them.

4. PaulinAsia Banh Bao said, on July 25, 2016 at 10:33 pm

How to build a lead in the division: win 8 in a row (man, that seems like a long time ago). How to watch that lead diminish to near nothing: lose 8 out of 9 to start the 2nd half. It’s all about the trends. If they’d lost 8 in a row way back when, entered the break without a division lead, and now won 8 of 9 to take the lead, this 2-1/2 game lead would feel pretty good. Can’t much like this trend. Dusty Baker once said that he noticed teams can get sort of used to losing. Not acceptable, and someone… coaches, individual players, or GM who has 5 days to go to improve the team.. someone needs to go balls up and do something to turn this around. Fortunately, LA ain’t all that dangerous, really. Still. Reverse the f-ing trend, boys, starting tomorrow……

5. bassbaldy said, on July 25, 2016 at 11:07 pm

Lurie saying time for a starting pitcher trade to enter into the conversation.

• PaulinAsia Banh Bao said, on July 25, 2016 at 11:12 pm

Yeah, Lisle, was thinking that as well. It would be nice to just focus on one area that needs improving, which, by most opinions here, woulda been a reliever. Still need that. But might have to add a starter too, hard to believe since they signed JC and Smarge. I even said when Pence went down they shoulda gone out and gotten a Jay Bruce kinda guy. I guess what Sabevans will do before the break will depend a lot on their honest belief of when the injured will return, something that has seemingly not happened as quickly as they originally thought….. There likely just isn’t all that much they can do before end of month, but clearly, need to do something. Bold, I say, be bold…. ha.

• bassbaldy said, on July 25, 2016 at 11:32 pm

I remember you saying that Paul. I think my response was my usual: “I covet a power guy!”

After all, aren’t we the team of Mays, McCovey & Bonds? When is the,last time we’ve had such a hitter? And I’m not going to say we had one in out midst, did not recognize it, and ended up trading him away. 20/20 hindsight is a powerful thing.

I would just like a hitter that makes the opposition nervous the way Arenada, Goldfish, or Jay Bruise makes me.

Who do we have? nobody.

• zumiee said, on July 25, 2016 at 11:40 pm

Mays, McCovey & Bonds won a combined total of one World Series. Gregor Blanco has won more than that.
        The Giants scored 5 runs tonight. That should be plenty to win in this ballpark. This loss was totally on the pitching.
        For me, I’d take Williamson over Duvall, anyway. Duvall strikes out too much.

• bassbaldy said, on July 25, 2016 at 11:53 pm

Well Blanco has been a very, very lucky human being … Mays, McCovey & Bonds were three of the greatest to ever play the game, but not so lucky … maybe.

6. zumiee said, on July 25, 2016 at 11:29 pm

Yeah, I think Sabean/Evans were hoping to only have to do minor tweaks to the roster, but it’s going to need to be more than minor tweaks.

7. zumiee said, on July 25, 2016 at 11:32 pm

Bold moves would be to bring in a couple of new starting pitchers, give Peavy his gold watch and say goodbye, and shut down Cain for the rest of the season.

• zumiee said, on July 25, 2016 at 11:35 pm

Bring in a couple of new relievers, too, if possible. Just empty out the farm system to make the trades. The future is right now.

• bassbaldy said, on July 25, 2016 at 11:36 pm

Too bold me thinks for this FO. Another insightful, accurate and practical idea from a Flapper … Damn I wish we could force those muthers to read this blog.

8. snarkk said, on July 25, 2016 at 11:37 pm

Screw Bochy and his Brolove for Peavy. It’s over. Stop it. That has run its course. Figure out a way to baby his ass, and pull him early, or just cut his ass and get somebody else in here…

• bassbaldy said, on July 25, 2016 at 11:45 pm

Yes, but it’s not just Peavy. Pitching is paramount of course but as we say, we gotta score to win. When Angel Pagan is our most consistent hitter and Craw is our rbi leader … Well, need I say more? The pen has been mostly shit we know that, but this offense had not been impressive for more than a handful of games this year. If it wasn’t for the consistency of Bum & Cueto we would be neck deep in doo doo.

• Carstie Clausen said, on July 26, 2016 at 7:15 am

Those clean early innings last night could indicate he may have a bit of promise as a long-man. As for Cain, i noted yesterday that maybe he should have some sorta “relapse”. Mejia and Blach could do no worse than those two. In fact Blach leads the PCL in wins with 11 and has a tolerable ERA, somewhere in the 3.60’s if memory serves. Yes, they could trade for a starter as well ~ someone like Cashner, perhaps. Also a solid late-inning reliever would be a nice add.

9. PaulinAsia Banh Bao said, on July 25, 2016 at 11:41 pm

You’re right about that, Tom, and Zum is right as well about Cain, most likely. With Smarge choking of late, eek… Thought we had 3 top line starters, but these days, it’s down to 2. Can’t really see them getting any frontline starters, though. But that would be *bold*, that’s for sure….

10. zumiee said, on July 25, 2016 at 11:45 pm

Regarding Baldy’s point about an HR hitter…..if the Giants just put Williamson in leftfield when Pence gets back, and had Pagan and Span battle for playing time in centerfield, that alone would juice up the outfield power and overall production, IMO. It would be intriguing to see what Williamson would do with constant playing time. Parker could fit in with some occasional time, if he isn’t sent back to AAA.

11. zumiee said, on July 25, 2016 at 11:48 pm

How’s this for a playoff lineup? I like it. And it’s all in-house people, if they’re all healthy.
    Pagan
    Panik
    Belt
    Posey
    Pence
    Crawford
    Williamson
    Duffy
    Pitcher

• zumiee said, on July 25, 2016 at 11:50 pm

And that lineup would get them to the playoffs, too, IMO. Maybe the division and for sure a wild card.

• bassbaldy said, on July 25, 2016 at 11:57 pm

My only hesitation is Duffy … We would have to see if he can recover his ability to hit. Possibly the time off might be just what he needs to reset. Because he dearly needs to reset, he was mostly lost at the plate this year.

• bassbaldy said, on July 26, 2016 at 12:02 am

I mean, if that lineup you got there Zum is firing on all cylinders it would be formidable … Totally killing!

12. bassbaldy said, on July 26, 2016 at 12:00 am

I cannot wait to see what Cain comes up with for tomorrow night. If he lasts only an inning or three I wonder what will go down. can’t wait …

13. bassbaldy said, on July 26, 2016 at 12:07 am

Another thing … I know Pena has fallen off at the plate, and we all sorta expected that to happen sooner or later. But he sure has picked up his defense. He has made some very nice plays in the field. I’m not ready to ship him off yet … But soon I’d imagine, especially if Specs returns.

14. unca_chuck said, on July 26, 2016 at 9:18 am

It’s impossible to compare guys like Mays to guys of today, like Blanco. There were 2 eight team leagues and no divisions most of Mays’ career. It was nigh impossible to reach the word series for the guys that played before 1969.