Frustration

Posted in Uncategorized by Flavor on July 28, 2016

I want the Giants to pick up a deadline guy as much as the next Flapper but when I read tweets like this:

Sources: trying hard to get Cashner. Not necessarily front-runner; , still in, possibly others.

…..I start to think it’s not going to happen.

Sabes and his sidekick don’t like to compete. Partially because they don’t have the bullets to fire, but mostly because they just don’t like to compete. They irrationally hold on to their minor league currency like it’s worth more than it is. Here’s a tip: devalue it. It will make it easier for you to let go of it when it’s time to pay the piper.

I’d take Cashner in a heartbeat. He’s basically Smarge who I greatly prefer to either Cain or Peavy. He throws hard, sometimes too hard, but he’s better than our current 5 and 5. So why not?

Well, see the Rosenthal tweet to find out “why not?”

1. blade3colorado said, on July 28, 2016 at 8:41 pm

Just my take, but Crawford is probably the best lead off hitter, his walks and OBP show that he is better than Span and Pagan. Span has a slight edge over Pagan due to his walk rate (they both have the same OBP). Unfortunately, Craw has power and is needed further down in the order. Yep, Nunez is going to be a welcome sight in this LU.

2. gianthead said, on July 28, 2016 at 8:41 pm

Ok just looked it up and see the Nunez deal. Mejia too much? And this is the God’s honest truth. Last week when I was sitting up at night at the beach house and wrote that email about pursuing the Brewers Jeffress, I almost threw out the idea of a blockbuster with the Twins picking up their lefty reliever Abad, starting pitcher Ervin Santana (who the Giants showed interest in before he signed with the Twins and we went Peavy instead) and Nunez. I swear to God…and Mejia was my obvious prospect to throw in there. But not sure what the Giants could have added for the bigger deal. I am shocked they did not try and include Abad in that deal if they were tossing Mejia into the mix. Nunez has had a solid year.

• pawliekokonuts said, on July 28, 2016 at 8:44 pm

they still may

3. Flavor said, on July 28, 2016 at 8:42 pm

Shit. Well, I don’t fault Craw for being ready and springing into a move to make something happen. That’s better than Pagan falling asleep in the heat in NY, right?

• sandog said, on July 28, 2016 at 8:46 pm

Agreed. I love all forms of aggressive baserunning, even borderline stupid like Mac in NYC.

• pawliekokonuts said, on July 28, 2016 at 8:53 pm

I think baseball is now a duller game because baserunning isn’t used that much, nor is bunting. Who knows how to bunt? I mean, really. Who?

• Flavor said, on July 28, 2016 at 8:56 pm

Brett Butler.

4. pawliekokonuts said, on July 28, 2016 at 8:43 pm

GH, you were up w/ the guys in Boston? did you stay at the Hyatt in Greenwich? I like it. I grew up within walking distance. Take the Post Road down the hill past those gorgeous Conde Nast pillars. Just before American Cyanamid turn left, into the ‘projects.’ they’re still there. My mom worked at Clairol down the hill to the right. A huge grocery store is there. She’s 99, almost 100. We moved her up here, so now there is no reason for me to go down there.

5. snarkk said, on July 28, 2016 at 8:46 pm

OK, now that I took a look at this Nunez dude, seems obvious to me that Crawford’s recent decline and error spree had something to do with it. He’s been playing his ass off all year with nary a break. Now, they have a legit sub to give him a blow, plus the guy plays other spots in case Panik’s back or concussion causes problems, and Duffy can’t come back. Seems reasonable to me now, looking at it that way…

• wilcojoe said, on July 28, 2016 at 9:03 pm

He plays the corner OF as well. Extremely versatile. Let’s just hope he doesn’t get busted for PED’s until after we get our 4 in 7.

6. blade3colorado said, on July 28, 2016 at 8:48 pm

I checked out about a dozen Twins box scores and apparently, they had Nunez batting lead off. Somewhat surprised by that. He rarely walks and his OBP is anemic. It will be interesting to see where the Giants put him in the LU.

• pawliekokonuts said, on July 28, 2016 at 8:51 pm

our radio guys said he was 0-4 but an SB today? I liked Rickey too, if for no other reason he batted R and threw L. Like #40.

7. Flavor said, on July 28, 2016 at 8:49 pm

I loved Rickey Henderson. LOVED HIM. Easily one of my all time fav players. Any dude who has power AND speed who leads off I am 100% behind. Nunie has both, at least this year. Span has NEITHER. Nunie probably juicing and I’m a little worried about the AL to NL move, as well as moving to a contender from an also ran. But whatever, come on aboard. We need guys like Nunie……

8. sandog said, on July 28, 2016 at 8:51 pm

G-Head: I played 9 today at a pretty rough track in a tough neighborhood down here called National City. The course is part of a large park and it is not uncommon for gang-bangers to wander through the fairways on their way to different parts of the park. $11 for 9 holes and they have a summer special where you can get 2 domestic beers and 2 sleeves of Srixons for $10! I jumped on that deal like Adam Duval teeing off on a Matt Cain fastball.

• gianthead said, on July 28, 2016 at 9:02 pm

Perfect Dog…what a good deal. Just don’t accidentally hook a drive into a gang banger’s head or you might get a cap in yo ass…

We got two rounds in at a place in Rhode Island that I thought was country club level and got one round for $30 each and the Friday round for $40 with cart. Then we showed up and there was some completely atrocious holes and worn down grounds. But all in all for a public course could not complain. Shot an ugly 96 day one first time on the track a day and a better 88 day two. Place was right off the shore on a couple holes and #10 you hit toward the ocean. But fairway is surrounded by 15 foot trees and you don’t feel a breeze at the tee box. I hit a nice high drive right down the middle of the fairway and it is proceeding upward nicely and then it gets over the tree line and starts blowing backward. I think I hit it 90 yards. My kid then hits his twice as far…so pissed.

• wilcojoe said, on July 28, 2016 at 9:04 pm

Holy shit! I gotta see pics of this course.

• wilcojoe said, on July 28, 2016 at 9:06 pm

Dawg’s ghetto track with the Srixon and beer deal that is. What kind of beer? Busch Light?

• sandog said, on July 28, 2016 at 9:11 pm

Glad you asked! All of the big domestics were available, including one of my favorites….Coors Banquet. PLUS the beers were housed in this sweet cooler that had a digital temperature display. Those Banquets were a tasty 30 degrees. I’ll get some pics next time.

9. gianthead said, on July 28, 2016 at 8:53 pm

Another base running gaffe…

Both convention nomination speeches and the responses by the delegates (given I fell asleep half way through Trump’s and maybe just caught 5 minutes of Hillary) were very underwhelming. I miss the good old days of conventions being held in mausoleum like settings and true enthusiasm behind their candidates.

One of the problems is that both parties have gone to the smaller venues to make them more TV friendly but they have made the show so much more blah and taken away the enthusiasm from the crowds and true supporters. If Trump were smart he should have opened up his acceptance speech to where the Browns play and made it a huge spectacle. Now secret service would have probably tried to stop that but the great Apprentice blew a chance to really have a tv spectacle.

I was at McCain’s acceptance in 2008 and the crowd was similarly underwhelmed. Of course I did not go the night before because I thought Palin was such a bad choice, but her speech is probably the most crowd raucous acceptance speech for either a VP or Presidential nominee since maybe Clinton in 1992. Of course Obama had probably the crowd enthralled at his 2008 speech. I just don’t remember it well…

• pawliekokonuts said, on July 28, 2016 at 8:58 pm

I just saw the hed and didn’t click on it, but the NYT said Trump/RNC played to Twitter and Clinton/DNC played to TV…sounds accurate

• pawliekokonuts said, on July 28, 2016 at 9:00 pm

I saw AuH20 at Madison Square Garden, the old one, October 1964; I loved him. This made for tense suppertime every single night given that my Dad and Mom were union Dems

• gianthead said, on July 28, 2016 at 9:07 pm

Hilarious Pawlie…you are the original conservative like your fellow Goldwater supporter named HILLARY RODHAM…

• Carstie Clausen said, on July 28, 2016 at 9:16 pm

Geeze, book me into that Goldwater group too. Headed up Students for Goldwater at Washington University. But within months after that debacle i was spending my evenings in Greenwich village and lived on Henry Street in Brooklyn Heights during my last 3 weeks in NYC.

• djloo27 said, on July 28, 2016 at 9:29 pm

I was born on Martense Street near Rogers Avenue, Stix. Ring a bell?
        Near the shittier end of Henry Street…

• gianthead said, on July 28, 2016 at 9:35 pm

There is a book in there Carstie…I have heard so many good things about Washington U…

• djloo27 said, on July 28, 2016 at 9:47 pm

Thinking of Hawthorne not Henry. A guy Henry lived on Hawthorne…

10. sandog said, on July 28, 2016 at 9:02 pm

FP says Span’s batting stance was nothing like this last year. Interesting.

• Flavor said, on July 28, 2016 at 9:03 pm

that is interesting. Another reason why I like FP. I’d like him even more if he’d go tell Span that

11. Flavor said, on July 28, 2016 at 9:03 pm

Span is fucking worthless. Give me Nunie at the top of the LU or give me….whatever, just put Nunie up there and watch the offense get better immediately.

• pawliekokonuts said, on July 28, 2016 at 9:06 pm

we’ve got to come up with a replacement nickname for Nunie

• Flavor said, on July 28, 2016 at 9:11 pm

Loo’s Girardi reference is growing on me. I might be done with it by tomorrow…..

• djloo27 said, on July 28, 2016 at 9:20 pm

It’s so bad, it might be good…

• sandog said, on July 28, 2016 at 9:30 pm

Kind of like that Silverchair song about the fat boy…

• Carstie Clausen said, on July 28, 2016 at 10:03 pm

The Flying Nuun? Noon of the above?

12. Flavor said, on July 28, 2016 at 9:04 pm

Pathetic. Fucking joke offense right now.

• gianthead said, on July 28, 2016 at 9:08 pm

He’s gotta lead off…makes no sense in getting him if he doesnt.

13. sandog said, on July 28, 2016 at 9:08 pm

What did you guys expect from Span this year…a batting title? He’s a lifetime .280 hitter who is batting .255.
    A bit underwhelming I grant you, but not a HUGE drop from his career numbers. Give him a break—especially when you consider we have the shittiest collection of outfielders in all of MLB.

• Flavor said, on July 28, 2016 at 9:12 pm

Nunie….

• gianthead said, on July 28, 2016 at 9:14 pm

I was skeptical of Span when the Nats signed him exactly because of what Flav is saying about the AL to NL thing and he actually played better for the Nats than I had expected. So I still think they got a good deal for him and he has been competent in the field…but I agree…just move him down the lineup and we will be better off…

14. unca_chuck said, on July 28, 2016 at 9:09 pm

BOs 2004!speech was better.

• gianthead said, on July 28, 2016 at 9:15 pm

You are definitely right Chuck…I was separating the acceptance speeches…

15. djloo27 said, on July 28, 2016 at 9:13 pm

Would either VP candidate have been a better choice for President?

• Macdog said, on July 28, 2016 at 9:16 pm

The VPs are Pence and Kaine (sounds like Cain, ok, this is a stretch), who’s the Libertarian VP, Bowker?

• gianthead said, on July 28, 2016 at 9:32 pm

Good one dog…

• wilcojoe said, on July 28, 2016 at 9:18 pm

In all seriousness, I actually think Ivanka could have a nice career in politics. I thought her speech was pretty good. Trump’s sons on the other hand look like they just left a casting call for American Psycho.

• gianthead said, on July 28, 2016 at 9:30 pm

Hahaha…Wilco, I emailed my boys back home in the Bay Area (my best friends not more kids) and said Trump Jr. the youngest one just nailed the casting call for American Psycho II!!!! So funny…Ivanka gave a brilliant speech. Perfect length and exactly what Trump should have done. If I were managing her (and her husband may be the one who ultimately is the smartest/savy political operative in that clan), I would have her move immediately to Florida with her family and run all the Trump properties and start laying the ground work for a gubernatorial run around 2022 and have her prepped with eye on a presidential run in 2028…I don’t think we have heard the last of her…

• blade3colorado said, on July 28, 2016 at 9:35 pm

American Pyscho line . . . lulz

• wilcojoe said, on July 28, 2016 at 9:45 pm

I agree completley GH!

• gianthead said, on July 28, 2016 at 9:19 pm

Looks, you know my answer to the Republican side!!!! But I actually think Pence serving a second term as Governor would have made him a better prepared candidate in 2020. I am not sure he is quite ready now for 2016 and I am a huge fan of his.

I like Kaine but also not sure he is presidential timber in 2016. I think he is a little too much of a bag seat politician. Good behind the scenes, don’t think he fills the shoes of a president. He is no Harry Truman.

As I said couple days ago, she picks Kasich as her VP, the race is over and probably the better for the country to have the two of them in charge…

• gianthead said, on July 28, 2016 at 9:56 pm

That was meant to be back seat politician…

• Carstie Clausen said, on July 28, 2016 at 10:08 pm

A heavy financier gave Harry Truman a hefty doctor’s bag stuffed with cash on his campaign train shortly before the partition of British Mandated Palestine in ’48.

16. bassbaldy said, on July 28, 2016 at 9:14 pm

Is this really happening? First to worst. Ugh.

17. bassbaldy said, on July 28, 2016 at 9:17 pm

This is like Groundhog Day Giants style. They keep playing the same game over & over.

• djloo27 said, on July 28, 2016 at 9:23 pm

I’m sure you’re enjoying the contribution of your favorite Giant, Punxsutawney Posey…

18. PaulinAsia Banh Bao said, on July 28, 2016 at 9:37 pm

Back in the late ’80s in Boston, a fellow by the name of Joe Morgan (different Joe Morgan), nicknamed Tollway Joe because in the off season, he worked as a toll collector on the Mass Pike, was a real character. He was known to pinch hit, say, Spike Owen for Jim Rice if he had a hunch about it, and his hunches were often right. During one particular dull and lifeless stretch when the Sox just couldn’t buy a win, he called them out in an interview, calling it a “dead ass team”, and proceeded to completely rearrange the batting order, bench a couple starters, etc. Jim Rice almost throttled Morgan once in the dugout tunnel, but the players (other than Rice) responded. Note to Bochy: just because the team signed Span as a potential leadoff hitter doesn’t mean you actually have to keep him there the whole damned season….

19. djloo27 said, on July 28, 2016 at 9:39 pm

Pena’s walk-up music sounds like the soundtrack from “The Three Amigos”…

20. unca_chuck said, on July 28, 2016 at 9:45 pm

I certainly expected more from zzz-span than squadoosh, Dawg.

• sandog said, on July 28, 2016 at 9:50 pm

I just don’t think .255 is that awful. It’s not like BJ Upton hitting .190 for the Braves a few years back.

• unca_chuck said, on July 28, 2016 at 10:05 pm

For a lead off guy it ain’t no great shakes.

21. gianthead said, on July 28, 2016 at 9:46 pm

Pawlie, I just got back to your Greenwich comment. I saw those cool pillars and couldn’t figure out why they were there and most of the entire extended family did stay at that Hyatt Regency. Was a good spot for 30 or so of us all together for this funeral. We don’t get to see much of the extended New England family members. So what is the deal with the Conde Nast pillars?

I had to drop father in law off at the Stamford train station and cut through those neighborhoods on the way back to the Regency. Didn’t seem too bad but I had a preconception that Greenwich CT was super wealthy and was interesting to see real working class brethren.

• gianthead said, on July 28, 2016 at 9:51 pm

Oh yeah…I had one drink with Chia Blade in Boston before the Tuesday Giants game. I could not make the Wed game when they went. We spent one night in Marblehead and then after our Tuesday Giant game, spent the rest of the week in Rhode Island until we met with up my wife and other kids and the rest of the family in Greenwich on Tuesday.

22. unca_chuck said, on July 28, 2016 at 9:48 pm

But this shit is team wide. Ho hum.walk, steal score?

Drill his ass if you are going to walk him.

23. djloo27 said, on July 28, 2016 at 9:56 pm

There is a precedent for the Giants acquiring a new lead off hitter at the deadline: Lofton 2002

• gianthead said, on July 28, 2016 at 9:58 pm

2002…bad World Series memories…was Lofton the one with the base hit to score JT Snow when he almost took out Dusty’s kid???

• djloo27 said, on July 28, 2016 at 10:01 pm

He drove in Bell to win the pennant. Not sure who had the Snow hit…

24. snarkk said, on July 28, 2016 at 9:56 pm

Somebody wake me up when the Giants get a win.
    Thanks…

25. blade3colorado said, on July 28, 2016 at 9:58 pm

Only team playing real good in the Division are the Sherpas, 7-3 over their last 10. Bums are 5-5 and per Bowden:

“According to one GM the Dodgers are “in” on almost every part of the trade market from top starters Sale and Archer to top relievers Davis and Miller to top bats like Bruce and Cargo and will certainly be an interesting team to watch as the Monday deadline approaches.”

Shit, if we don’t start playing well (2-8 over our last 10 games), the Bums wont need reinforcements to overtake us.

Our team is putting me to zzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz . . .

26. blade3colorado said, on July 28, 2016 at 10:01 pm

Is it Loo or Memorex? You be the judge . . .

• djloo27 said, on July 28, 2016 at 10:05 pm

You know, that actually could pass for me 20 some years ago…

• blade3colorado said, on July 28, 2016 at 10:07 pm

Nah . . . You’re too modest. Beard may have a bit more gray, but that’s all.

27. blade3colorado said, on July 28, 2016 at 10:03 pm

Or is this him?

• djloo27 said, on July 28, 2016 at 10:09 pm

28. blade3colorado said, on July 28, 2016 at 10:09 pm

OK fellas . . . This game is putting me to sleep and I’m done pumping up everyone’s tires. Good night all! 🙂

29. Macdog said, on July 28, 2016 at 10:11 pm

Seems to me of late that Posey, when he has 2 strikes, has been swinging at pitches out of the zone, and not exactly borderline ones either. Not sure what’s up with that, maybe he’s pressing, but there it was again, striking out on ball 4.

30. djloo27 said, on July 28, 2016 at 10:12 pm

Was Goldwater known as “Goldy” in Arizona?

• unca_chuck said, on July 28, 2016 at 10:21 pm

Old coot…rolling asshole . . . get off my lawn

31. mrsprtdude said, on July 28, 2016 at 10:15 pm

Nunez looks like a great pick up. I just read Evans called Duffy to tell him he is the starting 3b, and not to worry. WTF?? Nunez .296 12 homers and 26 SBs. That make him already one of the best hitters on the team. I love Duffy’s story and grit but WTF. Duffy has been awful, and does not have the track record to get that kind of job security..Thoughts?

• PaulinAsia Banh Bao said, on July 28, 2016 at 10:18 pm

I haven’t even heard when Duffy will be back from being injured. Would love to see Nunez get all the chances he can and he delivers. 3B has not been the team’s *biggest* problem this season, but fixing something relatively small like this with the Nunez pickup could have big effect on the whole lineup. And, bat him leadoff… 🙂

• djloo27 said, on July 28, 2016 at 10:18 pm

In my opinion, Duffy has been awful, and does not have the track record to get that kind of job security…

32. unca_chuck said, on July 28, 2016 at 10:18 pm

Christ. 25 minutes to pitch to 2 guys

33. djloo27 said, on July 28, 2016 at 10:23 pm

Get some base runners.
    This clown can be had…

• djloo27 said, on July 28, 2016 at 10:26 pm

That’s one…

• djloo27 said, on July 28, 2016 at 10:29 pm

That’s two…

• djloo27 said, on July 28, 2016 at 10:35 pm

That’s three!

• djloo27 said, on July 28, 2016 at 10:36 pm

That’s four!!

34. Macdog said, on July 28, 2016 at 10:28 pm

I don’t know if this was in the list of annoying Kruk-isms a while back, but the “It all started with … ” ranks up there for me. He’s already used it twice tonight.

35. unca_chuck said, on July 28, 2016 at 10:36 pm

Safe!

36. gianthead said, on July 28, 2016 at 10:36 pm

Please please let me get what I want…Lord knows it will be the first time…Lord knows it will be the first time…

37. PaulinAsia Banh Bao said, on July 28, 2016 at 10:37 pm

So great how Loo is trying to bring this baby home, one step at a time, even as the east coast US clock inches toward 2am….

38. unca_chuck said, on July 28, 2016 at 10:39 pm

Buzz kill span

39. mrsprtdude said, on July 28, 2016 at 10:40 pm

0-8 with RISP. Grr…Can we get 1/9 for petes sake???

40. djloo27 said, on July 28, 2016 at 10:40 pm

Why are K & K suddenly speaking Spanish?
    Now the game just disappeared altogether with 2 outs!

41. mrsprtdude said, on July 28, 2016 at 10:41 pm

I’m calling a game winning gapper!

42. mrsprtdude said, on July 28, 2016 at 10:44 pm

FUUUUUCK!!!

43. Macdog said, on July 28, 2016 at 10:46 pm

I long for the two off days last week.

44. gianthead said, on July 28, 2016 at 10:51 pm

The Lord did not let me get what I want…Papelbon may well be done as the Nats closer…Pawlie is probably long asleep but we drove through New Rochelle because I missed our Playland exit…I think my kids did the Mouse ride…it was the very last one in the park. And the newer looking water rides were out by the marshes where maybe the batting cages were. There is a lake at the end of the park where you can now take a boat ride for $6, even though we already paid for a day pass for rides…

• gianthead said, on July 28, 2016 at 10:54 pm

And this east coaster after a couple of long days is done for…Nunez can’t get here quick enough…good night chaps

45. bassbaldy said, on July 28, 2016 at 10:52 pm

I got nothin’ … just like this team.

46. unca_chuck said, on July 28, 2016 at 10:53 pm

Well, the big 2 lost again, so the back end has to pick it up. Which doesn’t seem likely against these guys.