Tough Games Ahead

Posted in Uncategorized by Flavor on August 1, 2016

I’m headed to Black Butte, Oregon for a week and then Sun Valley. Gonna play a lot of golf and spend time with the fam. We are up 2 games on the day I leave. What will the number be when I get back? This east coast swing is absolutely no joke. It really doesn’t matter who we play as the Yankee series proved. Philly gave us phits when they were HERE last month. What will it be like in their house? Not looking forward to that series. And who could forget the Nats sweeping up embarrassingly a couple of July 4th weekends ago. I remember it was hot as fuck that series. Anyone know what the weather in DC gonna be like?

We wrap it up in Florida and being indoors might be a welcome relief but we could play the Marlins on the moon and it would be a fight.

So we are up 2 games today.

Hmmmmmm……

1. Flavor said, on August 1, 2016 at 5:10 pm

So, anything happen today? I’ve always liked Moore. Dude is only gonna get better as he gets further away from TJ. And while I liked Duffy I now get to enjoy Nunie in all his glory. Not sure about this reliever yet. Gonna have dinner with the fam, then look him up.

• zumiee said, on August 1, 2016 at 5:13 pm

Puig r-u-n-n-o-f-t.

2. Lurker John said, on August 1, 2016 at 5:15 pm

MLB.com has Bickford as the #3 Giants’s prospect overall and #2 pitcher. The kid has a ton of talent and a bazooka for an arm. He seems to be getting dissed here for whatever reason. Losing Duffy sucks ass too. I’m bummed about both guys leaving. Losing Fox sucks too. Bickford and Fox are both gong to be studs in the big leagues. For a couple of middle-of-the-road lefties.

• Flavor said, on August 1, 2016 at 5:54 pm

Bickford does not have a cannon, that got exposed in the Futures game. He was throwing 91.whatever, he’s completely overrated to me. Wish we had gotten more for him tho

• Lurker John said, on August 1, 2016 at 7:17 pm

It was 95-97 coming out of college and he’s averaging 10.7 SO/9 so far in the minors. Granted it’s the minors, but he’s got something that misses a lot of bats. He also has a great hits to innings pitched ratio (6.5/9). I think he’s going to be good, whether it’s in the pen or in the rotation and I think the Giants gave up too much to get Moore. Duffy will be missed.

3. Flavor said, on August 1, 2016 at 5:17 pm

And these Puig stories are my night. I’m not sure if I’ve ever been more right about a player, going totally against the grain as everyone else, in my life.

• Flavor said, on August 1, 2016 at 5:18 pm

“making my night.” Sorry, on ph, long island in hand, looking over the beautiful Black Butte lagoon

4. snarkk said, on August 1, 2016 at 5:29 pm

Still trying to process these moves. To get 3 guys, we gave up6. I think. I don’t know Moore nor Smith. Gotta look em up. On face of it, seems like SF came out OK, possibly overpaid a bit…

5. Lurker John said, on August 1, 2016 at 5:36 pm

I hope the new guys do well, but all this excitement over what seems to me to be a couple of average pitchers is baffling.

6. Irish Kevin said, on August 1, 2016 at 5:58 pm

This is going to be a wait and see…I hate losing the Duffman though. And Craig, when I said they picked up Nunez so that the Giants will have trade bait and I thought it was Panik that would be traded you said the Giants don’t work that way. Uh maybe just this once. Anyway over on the Rise Guys on ESPN, they are saying the Cubs are still the team to beat to get to the WS. Hmm…maybe cause I am a Giants fan…but I say fuck that!!

7. djloo27 said, on August 1, 2016 at 6:20 pm

Yeah, we’ll see. Doesn’t feel like the Giants were big winners today…

• blade3colorado said, on August 1, 2016 at 6:33 pm

Agree Loo. I guess it will be a wait and see deal like the Leake and Beltran trades. Hoping Moore and this reliever works out, but right now it feels like my heart was ripped out. I’ve always supported Sabes and the front office, but I’m not feeling too good about them dealing Duffy. I hope he continues to have a good career. His story is too inspiring to be a one and out. That being said, he is one tough hombre and I know he’ll show everyone that he isn’t a one season wonder.

• Lurker John said, on August 1, 2016 at 7:18 pm

I hope he wins a fucking batting title or two.

• blade3colorado said, on August 1, 2016 at 7:26 pm

Me too 🙂

• bassbaldy said, on August 1, 2016 at 10:24 pm

Me three.

8. gianthead said, on August 1, 2016 at 6:27 pm

If I ever see Puig in a Giants uniform running around in our OF like an ass-hat, I’m bringing a rifle to a game…

• Irish Kevin said, on August 1, 2016 at 7:15 pm

Easy, the government is listening and reading!! LMAO

9. wilcojoe said, on August 1, 2016 at 6:27 pm

As someone mentioned earlier, most of these guys are in the prime of their career. It is not a stretch to think that we might be sellers this time next year and you know what? I would have no problem with that. I actually applaud the Yankees for the moves they made (first time sellers since 1989) this week. The Red Sox have managed to have major fire sales in two of the last five years, yet they still remain competetive nearly ever year. There is an art to reloading versus rebuilding.

The one thing that I have learned not to do is to get too attached to the names on the back of the uni’s. Free agency and the evolution of the game has done that to me. If we have to part ways with guys like Timmy, Panda (past examples) Posey, Bum and Panik (possible future examples) in order to stay competeive on a regular basis, I am fine with that. Snarkk used the Bill Walsh analogy which I completely agree with. It’s better to part ways too soon than too late.

• Lurker John said, on August 1, 2016 at 7:21 pm

I guess I haven’t mastered that skill. I get attached to guys like I did when I was a kid. The problem with the Walsh effect in this case is that Bickford and Duffy are young. Duffy didn’t win the Willie Mac award just for showing up on time every day. He’s got something special.

• blade3colorado said, on August 1, 2016 at 7:27 pm

Yeah, the analogy does not jibe with Duffy, etc.

• wilcojoe said, on August 1, 2016 at 7:44 pm

No, the analogy is more for established vets. The point is not to fall in love with these guys and expect them to retire as Giants. Those days are long gone. Duffy had a nice rookie year, came out of nowhere, and plays stellar defense. I personally think he had a “career” year and do not think as highly of him as most here. That’s just my opinion and I have stated that since the season started. The Giants may have agreed with me. The Rays probably not.

• wilcojoe said, on August 1, 2016 at 7:48 pm

Marc Carreon won the Willie Mac Award once. It’s not exactly the Triple Crown.

10. sandog said, on August 1, 2016 at 6:29 pm

I wonder if the Rays would have settled for either Duffy OR Nunez? If that were the case, who would you guys rather have parted with? I would rather have sent them Nunez. I know there is mad love for him going on right now, and he looks good so far, but this is a guy the Yankees gave a lot of rope to and eventually they DFA’d him.

11. gianthead said, on August 1, 2016 at 6:31 pm

Moore is not going to blow people away but hopefully he has learned to be one of those sneaky Greg Maddux types.

One thing that is perplexing is where exactly are the Rays going to play Duffy since they have Longoria???

I enjoyed like hell the story about Puig storming away from the team after being told of his coming demotion…

• zumiee said, on August 1, 2016 at 6:41 pm

His agent is now disputing that. The Dodgers are doing a brief press conference about the situation tomorrow. I predict a lot of spin tomorrow.

12. zumiee said, on August 1, 2016 at 6:44 pm

Mauer just hit an HR off of Miller. That’s pretty funny.

13. zumiee said, on August 1, 2016 at 6:54 pm

So Bochy’s got to deal with a Peavy/Cain situation. They’re both basically the same guy now. He could do a coin toss; loser goes to the bullpen to become a longman. A hit to someone’s pride.

• zumiee said, on August 1, 2016 at 6:57 pm

Not that Samardj has been awesome the last few months….

• blade3colorado said, on August 1, 2016 at 7:06 pm

It’s sort of a start by start situation in my opinion, with Cain the leader at the moment.

• Carstie Clausen said, on August 1, 2016 at 7:08 pm

Thinking that because of investments of years and money Cain will get the longer rope and Bochy will convince Peavy that as a longman for Matt and Smarg he may well vulture as many wins as he would starting.

14. blade3colorado said, on August 1, 2016 at 6:57 pm

Joe, I have 84 points on Danny Duffy this evening in FD. The most I have ever scored with a pitcher. Dude had a shutout through 8 innings, with 16 SOs. In 189th place at the moment with more players to go.

• wilcojoe said, on August 1, 2016 at 7:02 pm

Holy shit, that is incredible! Best Duffy in the game! 😉 Yeah, I have Stroman (doing well) and Salazar (epic face plant).

• blade3colorado said, on August 1, 2016 at 7:04 pm

I was pissed at Salazar. I thought he was a lock against the hapless Twins. Unfrickingbelievable. Got raked in the 1st inning and then it got worse in the 2nd.

• wilcojoe said, on August 1, 2016 at 7:13 pm

Right? Total lock! This is the shit that pisses me off about being forced to play DK. I had a safe pick in Salazar and then I took a boom or bust in Stroman and he is having the outing of his career. 13k thru 7. Yet I will need a big game from ALL of my hitters to place in the money. I really miss FD on nights like this….Which for me is most nights.

15. pawliekokonuts said, on August 1, 2016 at 7:26 pm

Some teams have — at least temporarily (maybe the Mets last year?) — gone with a 6-man rotation. I’d like to see it.

16. snarkk said, on August 1, 2016 at 7:37 pm

Lots of you guys that know the minor leaguers better than I are saying these deals are OK to good, so OK, fine. I don’t really know these pitchers, so I’ve got little frame of reference. Their stats don’t look overwhelmingly good, so hopefully we didn’t give up too much. 3 guys including Duffy for Moore seems a lot, but he’s young, and apparently a good arm. His stats should improve from Tampa to ATT. I still go with the minor league guys are untested, so giving any up is no big deal in my book, unless they are absolute locks to be MLB stars — and none apparently are that were traded. I’ll miss Duffy, but c’est la vie. He was crap hitting on the road this season. He’ll land on his feet, achilles and all. Onward and upward. Sabevans got what they targeted, a Pen guy, another starter to stop the 5 inning limit bleeding, and a bat and speed guy. Looks like they did pretty well. Doghairs did, too, though. Beane and the A’s are into sticking it to the Giants…

17. unca_chuck said, on August 1, 2016 at 7:37 pm

I said that earlier, just have both of them pitch on day 5, 4, 4 and 1

18. snarkk said, on August 1, 2016 at 7:38 pm

Samardz used to be a Pen guy. Put him in the Pen, Moore takes his spot. Peavy and Cain battle for the bottom, winner in a few starts gets DLed and Samardz comes back to start after a mental break…

19. unca_chuck said, on August 1, 2016 at 7:40 pm

Duffy is what he appears to be. A solid infielder who likely won’t see the success he’s had. If he’s great, great. He’s buried in Miami, so I don’t even know what he is in Fla. A breather for Longoria? He’s their utility guy I suppose.

• wilcojoe said, on August 1, 2016 at 7:51 pm

Agree Unca. See my 7:48. I did just read that they plan on playing Duffy at SS and Longoria at 3b. Good on them, I guess.

20. snarkk said, on August 1, 2016 at 7:42 pm

LA probably tried hard to trade Puig, I’m guessing no takers unless LA kicked back a huge chunk of his $. They may end up DFAing his ass, then somebody will pick him up on a flier for the minimum, assuming they have a good clubhouse Shrink. Giants?…

21. snarkk said, on August 1, 2016 at 7:49 pm

With Duffy dealt, looks like Giants are putting 3rd base eggs in Christian Arroyo basket for next season. I’m reading they are playing him pretty much exclusively there now at Richmond. Nunie can play anywhere, apparently…

• Lurker John said, on August 1, 2016 at 9:10 pm

That’s how I see it. They must like what they see in Arroyo. I’m excited about him to, but the sting of losing Duffy will be there for awhile for me.

22. djloo27 said, on August 1, 2016 at 7:59 pm

It was exactly 2 years ago today that Duffy made his ML debut at Citifield…

• pawliekokonuts said, on August 1, 2016 at 8:17 pm

wow…cray [not as in Reggie or Ronnie Cray hahahha]; where do you get these nuggets?

• djloo27 said, on August 1, 2016 at 8:21 pm

I was there, Pawlie. It was Peavy and Parker’s first day in Giant uniforms, too. Vogey pitched a masterpiece. Fastest game I was ever at…

• pawliekokonuts said, on August 1, 2016 at 8:32 pm

a good game to be at! Did you take the 7 home early? or the LIRR?

• djloo27 said, on August 1, 2016 at 8:56 pm

Always the 7 train, Pawlie…

23. alleykat69 said, on August 1, 2016 at 8:21 pm

Trades made perfect sense to me, you get that 3rd lefty(Will Smith)in the pen who has great stuff obviously cause he was 2nd only to Chapman in K’s last year per innings pitched.
    Moore went 17-4 his 1st season before the TJ surgery, so he knows how to pitch, just will take a little time under Rags/Gardner working their magic and he could be a solid 3 ahead of Shark even imo. I have always liked the 2 lefty’s starter scenario and now it’s back!!
    Really no brainier on the departing parts. Duffy although a cool dude with lots of appeal but the future is with Arrayo at 3rd. Fox had nowhere to go with Crawford locked in for years, so that made sense to deal him. Same with Susac with the fine work Trevor Brown has shown made him easily expendable.If anything Mejia& Spicoli could come back to bite us the most, but you have to strike when the coals are hot and their going all in for the 4in 7 W/S titles so I’m all in as well..

• zumiee said, on August 1, 2016 at 8:42 pm

Good post.

24. bassbaldy said, on August 1, 2016 at 8:23 pm

A shout out to Blade & Lurker J. I too am still reeling from this news that the Duffman is no longer a Giant.

All the points you both raised are heart felt and I’m right there with you.

LJ thanks for sharing (7:21) how you get attached to certain players the same way you did as a kid. That is a very deep thought Brother!

Blade you pointing out (1:43) that Duffy as last year’s Willie Mac recipient speaks volumes about the character of this young player. And although on surface it may not seem to have the emotional depth of LJ’s statement, if one stops to think about it for a minute, I feel it resonates just as profoundly.

I don’t have anything I can add to what you both have already have so powerfully expressed. Thank you both.

I remain devastated.

One thing that is bugging me concerns that story that emerged a few days ago, around the time of the Nunez trade, about Evans calling Duffy to tell him that the 3rd base job was still his. Was that simple hear say? I suppose I could give Evans the benefit of the doubt and say “plans change”. Yet, another side of me is thinking WTF?

• pawliekokonuts said, on August 1, 2016 at 8:32 pm

Even Mr. Mays was traded. The Babe, too. Also: cf. The Big Flavor Players As Thoroughbreds Theory.

• bassbaldy said, on August 1, 2016 at 8:48 pm

Wasn’t the Babe still a pitcher when he was traded? Wasn’t Mays pretty well at the end of his illustrious career?

I know you are right Pawlie but the kid in me still has a hard time of letting go. I’m trying to think of who else, besides the obvious (Bum, Pence, Posey, Craw), would affect me as much as this Duffy trade. Panik? That would be a tough one too … But for me, Duffy takes the cake.

Alas Matt Duffy, we hardly knew ye.

• Lurker John said, on August 1, 2016 at 9:11 pm

I’m going to go out on a limb and say that trading Mays at the tail end of his career does not equate to trading a 25 year old Duffy.

• zumiee said, on August 1, 2016 at 8:42 pm

Devastated? Seriously?

• bassbaldy said, on August 1, 2016 at 8:52 pm

Yes!! Devastated!!
        Or to use Blade’s expression … “Crushed” … I’m trying to remember a trade that has affected me so hard — When Kent signed with the Dodgers that was quite disconcerting, but it wasn’t a trade — I gotta think about it a bit.

• djloo27 said, on August 1, 2016 at 8:48 pm

Well, Governor Connally told JFK the state of Texas loves him.
      How’d that turn out?

25. djloo27 said, on August 1, 2016 at 8:32 pm

Agree with Wilco Joe about the Willie Mac Award. The NY Rangers have their equivalent called the Steven McDonald award named if after a hero police officer who was seriously wounded many years ago. He is also a fanatical Ranger fan. Officer McDonald is confined to a wheelchair and has difficulty breathing, however he makes the presentation himself and addresses the crowd. It is a very emotional ceremony and a prestigious award. Nevertheless, the winners of this award are traded away more often than not…

26. wilcojoe said, on August 1, 2016 at 8:35 pm

Anyone know what Ken Rosenthal is apologizing for on Twitter? Had something to do with the Puig story.

• zumiee said, on August 1, 2016 at 8:39 pm

For reporting that Puig “stormed off.” That’s being disputed.

• willedav said, on August 1, 2016 at 8:42 pm

turns out no storming off apparently.

27. willedav said, on August 1, 2016 at 8:47 pm

Giants acquisitions, other than the occasional Garko that Twin mentioned on Baggs blog, have done some remarkable things end of season/post season for being not so remarkable players.
    Javier Lopez Affeldt Ramirez.
    Cody Ross
    Ishi and Juan Perez.
    Scut

Seems to me SF already has much improved pitching for post season than 2014, and plenty of hitting, plus superior D.
    Bochy is not going to get outmanaged either.
    They get in (goal #1) watch out.

28. PaulinAsia Banh Bao said, on August 1, 2016 at 8:53 pm

As *devastating* as it might be for some to lose Duffy, management did its job. Their top 3 needs were a good reliever, a decent starter, and some kind of bat, likely for infield as 3rd base has been a bit of a black hole this season. They didn’t give up anyone who was helping the team THIS year…. the future of those minor leaguers, always a crap shoot, and as others have said, they must think 3rd base is now taken care of into the future with Nunez and likely Arroyo, who I’m glad they didn’t trade. Now it’s up to Bochy to make the moves and the players to perform. Only time will tell if the new guys have the impact of Scutaro and Glass, or the likes of Beltran and Leake. I’m looking forward to see it unfold.

29. bassbaldy said, on August 1, 2016 at 8:55 pm

Offhand, where is Juan Perez these days?

• Macdog said, on August 1, 2016 at 9:01 pm

Iowa Cubs in Triple A.

• bassbaldy said, on August 1, 2016 at 9:03 pm

ah ..thx.

• pawliekokonuts said, on August 1, 2016 at 9:06 pm

it’s a Manny Burriss kind of thing…..

• blade3colorado said, on August 1, 2016 at 9:25 pm

Good question. He had an outstanding spring training.

30. sandog said, on August 1, 2016 at 8:55 pm

Interesting letter to fans from Matt Kemp on Playerstribune.com. He all but comes out and says he’s been mailing it in the last few years.

• bassbaldy said, on August 1, 2016 at 9:12 pm

I gotta read that!

• Lurker John said, on August 1, 2016 at 9:45 pm

Wow.

31. dirtnrocksnomo said, on August 1, 2016 at 8:57 pm

I guess I’m sort of surprised at the deep seeded love for Duffy.

• bassbaldy said, on August 1, 2016 at 9:02 pm

From my count it is a very small group … 3 of us, tops … I think.

• PaulinAsia Banh Bao said, on August 1, 2016 at 9:02 pm

Yeah… he’s a nice kid, good story, lots of potential, nice surprise last year taking over 3rd. But that article saying that Evans called Duffy and sort of assured him he was still the starting 3rd-bagger surprised me. I would’ve been more “devastated” if they’d traded Panik.

• bassbaldy said, on August 1, 2016 at 9:08 pm

That would have hurt too, but Duffy being a California native .. Its a bit closer to home for me … Only balm is when I reflect on the fact that he grew up a Dodgers fan.

• sandog said, on August 1, 2016 at 9:03 pm

Nice job swapping out the avatar in a timely manner, Dirt!

• dirtnrocksnomo said, on August 1, 2016 at 9:13 pm

Baha..thanks, sandog. I liked the guy but really what is the biggest memory of him? Scoring from second on wild pitch in the 2014 NLCS game 2 loss? Cool stickers on the bottom of his bats which MLB disallowed this season? I’ll pour one out for the homey tonight and wish him luck.

• bassbaldy said, on August 1, 2016 at 9:20 pm

Personally, what I will remember most about Duffy is how quickly he made me forget about Panda .. And obviously, Panda had a lot more impact on Giants WS championships than Duff ever did but Duff sure was a fantastic analgesic for what I thought was going to be huge pain to sooth and hole to fill.

• sandog said, on August 1, 2016 at 9:21 pm

He was a likable dude, that’s for sure. Funny, my nephew texted me about 45 minutes after the news came out saying he was “pouring one out for Duffy right now.”

32. pawliekokonuts said, on August 1, 2016 at 8:59 pm

Offhand, where’s Eugenio Velez these days? And Brett Tomko. Ryan Garko. John Bowker. Chris Ray. The guy who played RF before Cody Ross (drug bust?). Cody ross. Ramon Ramirez. Benito Santiago.

• willedav said, on August 1, 2016 at 9:37 pm

Jose Guillen…he had the stuff shipped in his wife’s name iirc. Really sad when they picked him up, way past use by date.

33. Irish Kevin said, on August 1, 2016 at 9:00 pm

Where does Longoria play? I heard on KNBR Duffy will be the SS, supposedly his natural position?

• pawliekokonuts said, on August 1, 2016 at 9:04 pm

Longoria is 3b.

• pawliekokonuts said, on August 1, 2016 at 9:05 pm

Rays could not trade him. Too popular. and having a resurgence. I like him. Star of Baseball’s Starry Night.

34. pawliekokonuts said, on August 1, 2016 at 9:00 pm

Hi to Twinfan.

35. pawliekokonuts said, on August 1, 2016 at 9:04 pm

Baggs tweeted that it’s like this: the Giants have solved the loss of Affeldt/Lopez over the long term.

People should stop bashing Lopez. He’s been great lately.

36. wilcojoe said, on August 1, 2016 at 9:23 pm

Scott Feldman left the Astros locker room, walked across the Minute Maid field and joined his new Toronto Blue Jays team at 3:15pm. At 11:15pm he gives up the game winning hit to his former teammate Carlos Correa. That’s gotta feel awkward.

37. dirtnrocksnomo said, on August 1, 2016 at 9:29 pm

bassbaldy, good point above. Duffy did a great job stepping in to fill the Sandoval void at 3b.

• willedav said, on August 1, 2016 at 9:41 pm

and Mac G, another Sabes pick up that didn’t work out when lucky for him Sando signed elsewhere.
      Still, as mentioned above league adjusted to him and he didn’t adjust back. Seemed to me he lost discipline at the plate and started swinging at bad pitches trying to hit his way out of prolonged slump. Hard game sometimes.

38. blade3colorado said, on August 1, 2016 at 9:44 pm

Zum, in regard to your 8:42 pm post:

Yes, it might be hyperbole, but the Duffy story was inspiring and meant a lot to fans like myself. How many Flappers were “devastated” or “crushed” when Sandoval thumbed his nose at the Giants contract offer – which was equal to the Red Sox contract? Fast forward to Duffy, who was a salve that made us forget Sandoval . . . even wishing him good riddance. I wish Duffy only the best going forward. He’s a good person and a team player. In short, he fit the Giants way/system perfectly.

This is the quote that comes to my mind right now . . . “Baseball was made for kids, and grown-ups only screw it up.” ~ Bob Lemon

OK, got that out of my system and now I’ll root for the new Giants. 🙂

• bassbaldy said, on August 1, 2016 at 9:50 pm

A-freakin-men Blade!
      A-freakin-men!
      Go Giants!!!

39. djloo27 said, on August 1, 2016 at 9:46 pm

Funny how many of you can’t kick Blanco out of here soon enough. Where’s that attachment?
    He didn’t do enough in 2012 and 2014 when Melky and Pagan went down?

• PaulinAsia Banh Bao said, on August 1, 2016 at 9:54 pm

Agree, Loo. Blanco is an excellent 4th outfielder who filled in quite well when needed. Maybe he just got too many starts, but as a 4th, he’s been more than just a gamer….

• bassbaldy said, on August 1, 2016 at 10:00 pm

I’m not a member of that club. I like White Shark. I’d be sorry to see him go. However, unlike Duffy, Blanco has had a lot of opportunities and maybe his time is near over as a Giant … time to think of the future and give some kids a chance. Duffy was still young and green. Possibly, it was the sophomore blues .. I don’t know .. Whatever Duffy’s issues, I’d like to think he was going to figure it out and get his bat going again.

• blade3colorado said, on August 1, 2016 at 10:01 pm

Come on Loo . . . We all have favorite players. For some, they like Will Clark. For others, they like Willie Mays, or Buster Posey. Besides Willie Mays, I always went for the secondary players like Chris Speier, Tito Fuentes, Manny Sanguillen, Joe Panic, Robbie Thompson, etc.

I’m sure you have your favorites too.

• Lurker John said, on August 1, 2016 at 10:02 pm

You won’t hear me say that. I think he stays where he is. He’s too valuable off the bench and as a 4th outfielder. And he absolutely was a big part of those title teams.

• sandog said, on August 1, 2016 at 10:07 pm

Is that why you take such delight in trashing my man Span? Because he is taking away AB’s from your beloved Gregor??

• blade3colorado said, on August 1, 2016 at 10:10 pm

Touche! lulz

40. Lurker John said, on August 1, 2016 at 10:00 pm

Duffy isn’t getting much slack from several here. He had a solid year last season and has largely been average this year. As Willie said, the league adjusted and he didn’t adjust back. However, making that proclamation halfway through his second season is, imo, way too premature. A lot of good hitters have gone through a “sophomore slump” and I think that’s exactly what Matt was experiencing.

Did the great approach, patience, discipline and knowledge of the strikezone suddenly go out the window during the off season? I don’t think so and I’m confident that he’ll find his groove again. He’s a natural baseball player with what the pundits like to call good instinct. And he’s smart.

His third base play improved tremendously and he’ll be in contention for a GG someday if he stays at third. Quick hands, great glove and a strong accurate arm. He also makes the play coming in very well and has had a few highlight reel plays on tough popups as well. We all saw the downside of his injury with the likes of Gillaspie and others covering the hot corner. Kudos to those guys for the yeoman’s work, but there was a defensive drop off there.

And lastly, he’s a good baserunner, which has been a bugaboo for the G’s this season.

Maybe some are trying to feel better about the trade by saying we’ve seen Duffy’s best year(s), but I don’t buy it.

Anyway, he’s gone and good luck to him in Tampa. I don’t like it but it is what it is. Hopefully the new guys will ease the transition.

• bassbaldy said, on August 1, 2016 at 10:06 pm

Excellent post LJ.

I tell ya, you and Blade are killin’ it tonight! Writing from your core with deep feeling and intelligence.

41. snarkk said, on August 1, 2016 at 10:17 pm

From ATT to the Rays in Tampa.
    Ugghhh. Thing is, it could be a good career move for Duffy. In a smaller pond, so to speak. I hope he does well…

42. pawliekokonuts said, on August 1, 2016 at 10:23 pm

don’t go messing with former Syracuse Chief Gregor Blanco

• sandog said, on August 1, 2016 at 10:27 pm

Do you live in Syracuse Pawlie?

• pawliekokonuts said, on August 2, 2016 at 12:27 pm

43. unca_chuck said, on August 1, 2016 at 10:29 pm

Ohhh, eeeee uuuuuuhennnniiioooooooo, we hardly knew ye;

He’s currently a utility player for the Acereros de Monclova of the Mexican Baseball League. Still got a pic pf him from the 2008 fan fest wearing the pimpest shades I’ve ever seen.

DSC_0018

He looked SO uncomfortable sitting there. . . .

44. Flavor said, on August 2, 2016 at 6:20 am