Too Much Cueto

Posted in Uncategorized by Flavor on August 4, 2016

I’m only catching highlights at mlb.com but can someone explain why Cueto was left in the game so long? It was pretty clear after he gave up back2back bombs that it was time for a change. Besides the obvious Bochy flaw of leaving his starters in too long I think he’s got a thing about Cueto being the horse, the guy who goes 9 innings all the time. Maybe he got lulled into that more than just being afraid to go to his bullpen. I mean, come on, how could he be reluctant to use bp guys? It’s not like they’re going anywhere. He HAS to use them, all year.

Belt has been moved down to 6th in the LU, I think that’s been pretty clearly decided by Bochy. If he’s going to bat all the way down there he needs to get off his obsession with walks. Two more in the bank last night. It doesn’t do any good to take a walk for the dudes at the bottom of the LU behind you. He took a very close ball 4 pitch last night with guy(s?) on base (at least I think that’s the vid-replay I saw). Again, what does that accomplish? I like the walk and it’s an important part of an offense but it’s not like we have a bomber offense that can drive his walky-ass in all the time.

The Phillies, as I said a couple of days ago, are an interesting team. They definitely don’t quit, they’ve got guys who are playing for their major league lives right now. That type of attitude and approach to the game can be tough to play against.

by the way Mac, great re-cap of the game at the end of the last thread.

1. gianthead said, on August 4, 2016 at 6:41 am

And the Phillies hustle. I think it was Herrera that made the great catch in the 9th in center on Pagan’s broken bat hit for the third out. No one was on base and many players probably just let that fall in but he makes a great catch…Bochy owns this loss all on his own…Noonan second…

2. Flavor said, on August 4, 2016 at 6:47 am

by the way Lisle, I left you a little love note on the last thread.

3. Carstie Clausen said, on August 4, 2016 at 7:11 am

Could this be Bochy’s last season managing the Giants? Sure looked like it last night. I mean everybody and his second cousin understood that Cueto was toast for the evening after giving up that pair of back to back singleshots in the 7th. So what does BB9 do in the 8th ~ runs out his clearly gassed starter once again. Then once the Philthys tie the game at 4 up the bullpen makes our manager look like a damned fool for the next 3 IP while they hold the home team at bay.

Looking more and more like we could use one of those ball-girls running the show from the dugouts. Now that would be a clear case of Miss Management.

• dirtnrocksnomo said, on August 4, 2016 at 8:09 am

Bochy sure appeared to be at the end of his rope in the post game clubhouse interview but I don’t see him walking away any time soon. After all those years toiling away in San Diego he’s with an organization that is really committed to winning every year. Why leave?

• Flavor said, on August 4, 2016 at 9:08 am

exactly. He isn’t going anywhere unless there’s a health concern

4. zumiee said, on August 4, 2016 at 7:24 am

Bochy’s been in a bit of a managerial slump the past three weeks. Maybe it turns around today.

5. zumiee said, on August 4, 2016 at 7:26 am

Early game, everyone!

• Flavor said, on August 4, 2016 at 7:30 am

btw, I appreciate you accurately defending me last night.

• zumiee said, on August 4, 2016 at 8:04 am

You’re welcome.

6. willedav said, on August 4, 2016 at 7:39 am

Sometimes the getaway day LUs, which can look a little funky, wind up doing the trick.
    Btw that and the new guy’s debut, hope that sparks turnaround.

Loo mentioned Nunez before from his time with Yanks. Just like an idea of what his best position might be and what contributed to Yanks DFAing him. I don’t know anything about the guy so I have to reserve judgement; it’s also possible he’s pressing a bit to impress his teammates, esp since Duffy trade.

One of best utility guys I can recall was Cesar Tovar of old Twins, who iirc wound up mostly in OF.

7. Macdog said, on August 4, 2016 at 7:39 am

Going back for more today because . . .. I’m not quite right in the head? Actually, a friend from high school who I’ve kept in touch with through Facebook and now lives in Philly has invited me to the game. Plus my daughter’s coming and I just love her observations at a game. And finally, there’s the debut of our new stopper, Matt Moore. Let’s go Giants!

• zumiee said, on August 4, 2016 at 7:54 am

A day at the ballpark; always a groovy thing!

• willedav said, on August 4, 2016 at 8:17 am

props to the east coast guys for staying up late at night games out here and for all the game day reports lately when they’ve been there supporting Giants in NYC etc.
      Good reads, always.

Phils are playing Giants tough no doubt. just wonder why they seem to hit so well vs. SF and have such crummy stats overall. Kruk said on post game Giants just have not figured out Franco; but the yard is puro hitters dream, so every other team that comes in there should enjoy it too.

8. blade3colorado said, on August 4, 2016 at 8:12 am

I think the 3 trades will eventually work out. Collectively, the Giants were playing shitty since the AS break and the new guys weren’t responsible for that. As much as I miss the Duffster, I understand the rationale for these trades. They’re actually sound and make a lot of sense on paper. Although we gave up a lot, we were able to keep our 2 key pieces, Arroyo and Beede. Here is a good column about the “why” of this trade . . .

I actually think that Arroyo makes an appearance this season and not “a few years from now” as the author suggests.

By the by, I have spoken to many Rockies fans (as well as read comments from them) and they are unanimous in saying that the Dodgers look like a beaten team. One fan described it this way:

daddymike • an hour ago
    Great to see the Rocks play like they want to win. Got to keep in mind, though, how sorry the Dodgers looked the last two nights. Even the ROOT-sters had to admit that this isn’t the team that walked over the Rocks earlier in the year. LAD now has the same “slump-shouldered” look in the field that the Rocks had when they were losing every night, when their pitchers couldn’t get out of innings, when baserunners goofed up and were thrown out, etc., etc. (even the manager just sat in the dugout, head down, putzing with the lineup card, like the Rocks’ manager has been known to do). LAD spent $200m or more to build a team that looks like this in August? The Rocks should be pretty smug right now about not trading for more talent. No better example of the failure of this business model than reading the LA Times reporters on Yasiel.

NOTE: When he refers to the ROOTsters, he is referring to the broadcast team which is unbelievably “polly” about the Sherpas.

• zumiee said, on August 4, 2016 at 8:24 am

Yeah, gotta give the Rockies credit. They are the team showing the most life in the division right now.

• dirtnrocksnomo said, on August 4, 2016 at 8:28 am

I agree on Arroyo. He has been on the uptick lately, .326 in July.

• Carstie Clausen said, on August 4, 2016 at 9:34 am

Steve, thanks for a well reasoned and nicely seasoned take on the trades and our new players. They will come around. Nunez will relax and Smith will settle into his groove. Shakedown cruise. Perhaps today’s start by Moore will set a new tone. Now, my biggest worry is not the players but Bochy.

9. zumiee said, on August 4, 2016 at 8:13 am

Gillaspie again today. I’m a little surprised 3b is a straight platoon.

• Flavor said, on August 4, 2016 at 8:27 am

that’s irritating.

• dirtnrocksnomo said, on August 4, 2016 at 8:32 am

I guess it’s better than Agent 000 getting plugged in at 3b.

10. willedav said, on August 4, 2016 at 8:25 am

Rox only 5 back of LA and have ace Chatwood going today. Be a kick if they knock Dodgers off again and ultimately finish ahead of them.
    Nice read Blade. I really do think losing Opie and their other SPs (Ryu included) has done LA in.

You know LA might be perfect landing spot for Pagan next year. He can play LF, which has been black hole for them all year, lead off ahead of Seager and Turner, switch hit and bring the cred of all the rings, something lacking in clubhouse.
    He’d probably be better investment (2 yrs at $25 say) than anything they’ve done in long time too.

• blade3colorado said, on August 4, 2016 at 8:45 am

Regarding Pagan, I said yesterday I thought he could easily score a $13 to 15 million 2 year contract with someone. So, I’m a bit surprised by your contract projections Willie . . . but then again, the going rate has gone up. Glad someone else doesn’t think I’m delusional about this. 🙂

Seriously though, as much as I have enjoyed Pagan, I do want to get younger in the outfield and he just does not fit in our plans for next year. I will be disappointed if the Giants “go back to the well” with him.

Of our other outfielders, I do think we should retain Blanco if only because he accepts his role as a utility player. Those types of guys are invaluable and as long as he doesn’t get forced into playing too many consecutive games due to other players injuries, he’s fine in my opinion. I love his defense and he’s been clutch over the years. No reason to get rid of him next season at all.

I also like Span and hope he stays. I think he will show his true worth going forward (as he did last night). I like his defense and I have no problem with him as some do here.

One player I have always been lukewarm over, is Belt. However, I’m even warming up to him. My only suggestion to management is that he needs to go to left field next season and have Posey begin playing 1st base full time.

11. wilcojoe said, on August 4, 2016 at 8:52 am

I mentioned bringing Arroyo up now to get a look. Obviously they will bring him up in Sept but if they bring him up before the end of the month, he would be eligible for postseason play. It might be worth it at this point. Put someone on the 15 with a hangnail and let’s see what this kids got.

• blade3colorado said, on August 4, 2016 at 9:01 am

Nice detail regarding the difference between bringing someone up in August versus September (I didn’t know this). I agree with you. Thanks for the info!

12. zumiee said, on August 4, 2016 at 9:00 am

Baggs is reporting that, on the walk-off hit last night, the Phillies runner on first did a Merkle, and didn’t touch secondbase. The Giants saw that and threw the ball to secondbase for the force-out, and the second out. It cost the batter a hit, which is kind of funny. I’ll bet he was a bit ticked off when he found out.

• zumiee said, on August 4, 2016 at 9:06 am

A walk-off force-out!

• unca_chuck said, on August 4, 2016 at 9:18 am

So if there were 2 outs, it would have mattered? I was wondering why Pence was sprinting in from the OF.

• zumiee said, on August 4, 2016 at 9:25 am

Yeah, it would have been HUGE if it had happened with 2 outs. No doubt that player heard about it big-time afterward.

• unca_chuck said, on August 4, 2016 at 9:31 am

Damn. That would have been fucking righteous to see the Phils forced to play more after blowing the walk-off.

13. unca_chuck said, on August 4, 2016 at 9:24 am

What pisses me off is if we were playing .500 ball we would be stretching our lead over the Dogs.

4-13???

• zumiee said, on August 4, 2016 at 9:27 am

1-7 record vs. Padres, Reds, and Phillies in that stretch. Brutal stuff.

• zumiee said, on August 4, 2016 at 9:28 am

We were supposed to fatten up on those teams.

• unca_chuck said, on August 4, 2016 at 9:30 am

Yeah, we did earlier. It ain’t happening now.

• snarkk said, on August 4, 2016 at 9:34 am

As much credit as Bochy gets for success, he’s got to take lumps for the nosedives. He’s made questionable moves since the break, and manages mostly like Earl Weaver waiting for 3 run bombs that never appear. If he doesn’t trust the Pen in situations like last night, then what’s the point of the Pen. Besides, at this rate Cuetos arm will be hanging down to the floor by mid Sept…

• gianthead said, on August 4, 2016 at 10:53 am

Well put..I concur. Got to stick to the basics in managing…starter with over 100 pitches gives up to solo homers in the 7th, he has got come out…

• chipower9 said, on August 4, 2016 at 2:28 pm

Ah, the infamous “IF.” IF my aunt had balls, she’d be my uncle.

14. Flavor said, on August 4, 2016 at 9:38 am

The Dodgers are dead. Kershaw moving to the 60 day confirmed that.

15. Carstie Clausen said, on August 4, 2016 at 9:43 am

Belt is Belt, Flav. He is a walkaholic. He can’t help having a keen eye for the strike zone. Now hitting 6th is exacerbating the whole thing. That’s the #2 enforcer spot in the lineup ~ a slot where ducks on the pond frequently clutter up the place and knowing Belt’s XBH prowess when he is not in a funk, opposing pitchers simply keep it outta the zone and give him yet another freebie, calculating the #7 will not get the job done.

With Pence, the natural #5 (enforcer) back on the squad and also team RBI leader Crawford looming, Bochy really has no excuse not to bat Belt second, forcing pitchers to give him more of the plate, or possibly even back to #3 ~ from whence he was exiled during his recent funk.

Miss Management.

16. Flavor said, on August 4, 2016 at 9:58 am

If Nunie is here to be in a platoon with Gillaspe….I don’t know where to go with that. Maybe he’s dinged up or something. Makes no sense why they would trade Meijia for him, trade Duffy and then stick a Gillaspe/Nunie platoon out there….

• Lurker John said, on August 4, 2016 at 10:20 am

That was a terrible error last night on an easy play.

• Flavor said, on August 4, 2016 at 10:26 am

so you think this is some kind of punishment? Absurd. Players make errors all the time, the fucking manager doesn’t bench them, lol

• Lurker John said, on August 4, 2016 at 10:43 am

No, I don’t mean that at all. I’m simply pointing that it was an especially egregious error.

• snarkk said, on August 4, 2016 at 10:43 am

Gillalspie has had a warm bat. Bochy likes to play a hot hand. Still, agree that if Nunie is supposed to be a good stick, he should play. I heard Bochy say pregame today that Nunie is now effectively the 3rd sacker. Between those two, the hot corner defense has officially declined to average. Belt better take a few more bad hop and off base throws at practice…

• chipower9 said, on August 4, 2016 at 2:30 pm

Supposedly Bochy took Nunez into his office before the game and said he is not punishing him, that he just felt he needed to have Gillespie in the LU. Another of Big Head Bruce’s hunches, I suppose.

Too bad he didn’t have a hunch after Cueto gave up back-to-back bombs…

17. zumiee said, on August 4, 2016 at 10:00 am

The division race between the Giants and Dodgers has turned into the movement of glaciers.

18. zumiee said, on August 4, 2016 at 10:09 am

Oh man, funny commercial for “prepper” survivalist food, with a shelf-life of 25 years. Sell them the Brooklyn Bridge, too.

• zumiee said, on August 4, 2016 at 10:15 am

“Son, I saved a basement of food for you and your descendants.”
      -“Uh….yeah….thanks, Dad.”

19. Lurker John said, on August 4, 2016 at 10:13 am

Dirt, that .326 July for Arroyo (.297 overall) is also in a decidedly pitcher-friendly Eastern League, which makes it even more impressive. I’m guessing he’ll be promoted to Sacramento before the MiLB season is over in early September. If not then, the beginning of next year. I’d love to see him in a September call-up.

I’d also like to read your source for Sabean scouting Arroyo prior to the flurry of trades, and only because I find that to be interesting and it may give some insight into the decision to trade Duffy and into what the Giants really thing about Arroyo. On the surface it looks like they think pretty highly of him.

• dirtnrocksnomo said, on August 4, 2016 at 10:30 am

Is this an “oh, really” moment? Don’t do me like that, John! lulz

• wilcojoe said, on August 4, 2016 at 10:32 am

Lulz!

• Lurker John said, on August 4, 2016 at 10:32 am

I was trying to phrase that very carefully. LOL Thanks for the link.

• wilcojoe said, on August 4, 2016 at 10:45 am

That has to be the longest interview Sabean has ever given. To think it was with some Podunk, small makert station is even more remarkable. Must be a nice change, not having to deal with the same SF scribes over and over. I was a little disappointed in that I only counted three cliches. I love me some Sabean cliches.

• dirtnrocksnomo said, on August 4, 2016 at 10:54 am

HAHA, too funny. That was the first thing I noticed too. ‘Leaky boat’ at 51 seconds!

You can see a flash of his disdain for the press right in the beginning.

• chipower9 said, on August 4, 2016 at 2:31 pm

If Arroyo gets the call to Sactown, I will be down to check the kid out.

20. zumiee said, on August 4, 2016 at 10:26 am

The Giants keep lining out to corner infielders. It’s unreal BABIP bad fortune lately.

• Carstie Clausen said, on August 4, 2016 at 10:33 am

You beat me to it, Zumiee. Is it bad fortune or have the Baseball Gods (Aesir) turned Loki loose on the Giants? Anybody caring to take the time to go back through the records during this post-Break period could amass quite the collection of line-outs. Chances are the proportion of these BBIP killers are waaaaay beyond the possibilities of chance. Pure rationalist believers would dispute my contention, but then there are very few such mechanistic believers to be found among baseball fans ~ particularly Giants fanatics.

• Lurker John said, on August 4, 2016 at 10:35 am

I finally had to break down and look that up, zum. I finally got it.

• zumiee said, on August 4, 2016 at 10:41 am

I find it one of the more interesting new analytical ideas.

• Lurker John said, on August 4, 2016 at 10:46 am

Yeah, it is. Panik hit that one hard liner last night to the third baseman that would’ve been an RBI. Then Pence hit that rocket that ate the third baseman up.

21. wilcojoe said, on August 4, 2016 at 10:31 am

Someone the other day mentioned that Tim Alderson was pitching for the Sugar Land (TX) Skeeters of the Independent League. Sure enough this mornings paper mentioned that he gave up 4 runs in the first and didn’t make it out of the inning. Ouch!

• chipower9 said, on August 4, 2016 at 2:33 pm

Yep…I mentioned that the other day when someone asked if he was still in baseball. Not common knowledge…I let Google do the work for me.

22. Lurker John said, on August 4, 2016 at 10:31 am

I think Snarkk hit on something last night about Bochy just not having confidence in the pen. If you think about it, it would explain things like leaving Cueto in too long and other similar situations this year. With no clearly defined roles, he’s left guessing and second guessing. Guys have had roles but have been inconsistent in them which gives Bochy little confidence in using them in those spots again. In other words, he’s kind of forced to use the bullpen by committee method. Nothing has really settled down in the pen all year, the opposite of what it was like in the title years, when things were rock solid. Guys knew when they were coming in and got it done.

I’m not sure that explains the bottom of the eighth last night when it was clear Cueto needed to come out. That was just a bad decision, imo. Losing games is one thing, but blowing them late, like they did last night, can’t happen, especially when you’re trying to climb out of a slump. But if your confidence in a group of guys is shaken, I can see how it’d throw the rest of his managerial game off.

• Carstie Clausen said, on August 4, 2016 at 10:37 am

Bochy’s demise as bullpen maestro began last season with his under-utilization of Petit and has continued with his failure to develop and use a fireman. Last night, though, after he stoopidly let Cueto begin the ninth even after it was clear that he had lost his edge and was uncontestibly gassed, even a hotshot fireman might have been confounded by the mess he would have inherited ~ unless said fireman was pitching AGAINST the Giants in their current offensive funk.

• dirtnrocksnomo said, on August 4, 2016 at 10:45 am

Currently the Giants’ pen is 15th with a 3.85 ERA and 16th with a .249 BAA (batting average against). Bochy is great at mixing and matching but he’s only as good as the arms in the pen.

• Lurker John said, on August 4, 2016 at 10:50 am

Dirt, exactly. Carstie, LOL for the last part of your post. The Giants are indeed at the Murphy’s Law stage right now. Nothing is working.

• unca_chuck said, on August 4, 2016 at 10:47 am

I don’t buy that. Yeah, he’s been burned by his pen, but what manager hasn’t? He has been burned repeatedly by leaving starters in too long. But he has also been burned by his pen. I get that he doesn’t exactly feel great about his pen, but it seems like everyone felt like he should have pulled Cueto after the 2 bombs. Then he leaves him in to give up the walk, hit, and the tying runs and ensure the no-decision? It seems like a lot more of the problems have come at the expense of the starters running out of gas.

I mean, I get leaving Bummie in after giving up 6 in 2 innings, or whatever it was. But he managed yesterday’s game like it WASN’T important. It was the goddamn 8th inning for God’s sake.

(this is in reply to LJ, a whole bunch of posts seemed to fly in)

• Lurker John said, on August 4, 2016 at 11:12 am

But for the last 6 years he’s had a solid, dependable pen. Now, it’s all over the place.

• Lurker John said, on August 4, 2016 at 11:25 am

Chuck, my first reply was to yours before you edited the post, but I’m also with you on the Cueto thing. He was toast and everyone here knew it. Don’t know why Bochy didn’t, but it cost them a badly needed win. I just thought Snarkk’s idea was a valid one. Something is off with Bochy right now, whether it’s the pen or something else. Maybe a family matter, I don’t know.

23. unca_chuck said, on August 4, 2016 at 10:36 am

Moore winding up the pitch count early.

Picked a good day (maybe) to work from home.

24. willedav said, on August 4, 2016 at 10:49 am

Phils guys have BAs of .250 at best almost entire LU. Paredes was a waiver pickup, dumped off by couple teams. And they get a whack off the wall and tie it up.

Flav, I don’t understand what Giants plans for Nunez are. Gillaspie has been hitting lately, Craw and Panik aren’t getting days off, OF is full with Pence back, and he’s not taking leadoff from Span. Add in Specs Triple O and Arroyo, just a curious move.

• gianthead said, on August 4, 2016 at 11:36 am

I think Noonan was shuffling and Gillaspie had good abs yesterday. Noonan should be the everyday starter…

• gianthead said, on August 4, 2016 at 11:36 am

Scuffling…

• gianthead said, on August 4, 2016 at 1:05 pm

That 3 run homer in the top of the 8th worked perfectly…first by Pence, then Crawford and then Belt.

Just maybe just maybe as the team is sucking wind and game tied, you play for a single fucking run. Lefty pitching to Pence and you don’t bother putting the bunt down. Then just maybe a Crawford ground out scores a run…again, just play the percentages and try and end this awful start of this trip…

25. unca_chuck said, on August 4, 2016 at 10:55 am

Much nicer inning by Moore there.

26. unca_chuck said, on August 4, 2016 at 11:03 am

OMG a steal!

Well, almost.

27. gianthead said, on August 4, 2016 at 11:09 am

Thanks Blade posting that Sabean interview…without question the longest on camera interview he has ever given a day to the local Richmond station…wow.

Do not move Arroyo! Probably taking the boys down in one week to see the Squirells…

• dirtnrocksnomo said, on August 4, 2016 at 11:12 am

You’re welcome.

• gianthead said, on August 4, 2016 at 11:33 am

I stand corrected🎃

• Lurker John said, on August 4, 2016 at 11:29 am

You gotta get one of them cool Flying Squirrels hats, the one with the guy jetting around like Superman.

• gianthead said, on August 4, 2016 at 11:35 am

I actually wear my regular Squirells hat all the time…

28. willedav said, on August 4, 2016 at 11:21 am

Ay! This is guy is good enough don’t help him. Craw and Gillaspie both K’d on pitches out of the zone.

29. sandog said, on August 4, 2016 at 11:50 am

G-Head: Giants hat only to Game 7 of 2002 World Series. Highlight was watching Barry have an animated back and forth conversation for about 15 minutes with Melissa Etheridge (who sang the anthem that night) during batting practice.
    You may also appreciate that Master’s champ Danny Willett threw out the first pitch at the Sunday game at Yankee stadium I went to with my son. That may have been the highlight of that game as well!

• gianthead said, on August 4, 2016 at 1:10 pm

We got Gronk at Fenway in Game One. Wonder what that Bonds-Etheridge conversation was all about…”Hey baby I like your sound.” “Sorry Barry, I don’t swing that way….”

30. Carstie Clausen said, on August 4, 2016 at 12:02 pm

In giving up one hit in 5 IP (that one driving in their run, of course) we have so far gotten Moore than we expected from our new starter coming outta the gate.

31. dirtnrocksnomo said, on August 4, 2016 at 12:11 pm

A high pitch count but Moore has gone 7 innings in 5 of his last 10 starts. I know there is a lot of interleague and all but it would be interesting to hear his reaction to facing a line up without the DH.

32. unca_chuck said, on August 4, 2016 at 12:34 pm

Jesus. When we pitch, we can’t score. When the pitching sucks, we can.

33. unca_chuck said, on August 4, 2016 at 12:36 pm

And, what the fuck is a spaldeen?

• Flavor said, on August 4, 2016 at 1:03 pm

dunno but it sounded like POTD material to me.

• chipower9 said, on August 4, 2016 at 2:35 pm

One of those rubber inflated balls that bounces like a son-of-a-bitch…

I had to look it up…

34. unca_chuck said, on August 4, 2016 at 12:39 pm

Enough with the walks!

35. unca_chuck said, on August 4, 2016 at 12:43 pm

Blew the call twice.

36. dirtnrocksnomo said, on August 4, 2016 at 12:56 pm

oh, FFS!

37. unca_chuck said, on August 4, 2016 at 12:58 pm

Ho-hum. The Gods are hammering us for all those 1 run victories early on.

I swear when we blow an opportunity, the next inning the other guys score.

38. Carstie Clausen said, on August 4, 2016 at 1:05 pm

Yet another rally-killing, inning-ending lineout. Anybody believe this BBIP business is still nothing but a coinkydink?

39. gianthead said, on August 4, 2016 at 1:06 pm

• snarkk said, on August 4, 2016 at 1:20 pm

Bochy doesn’t like bunting, because the squad is so good at hitting with RISP…

40. Irish Kevin said, on August 4, 2016 at 1:08 pm

This is my take on the loss of Duffy, just because he was not producing at the plate no reason to trade him. He was a solid defender. Nunez was the starter for??? Why isn’t he starting here!!

• gianthead said, on August 4, 2016 at 1:12 pm

I think there is a big question mark, at least with the Giants mgmt, about his Achilles…

• chipower9 said, on August 4, 2016 at 1:32 pm

Kevin – the Giants tried to offer several pieces on multiple occasions (this is if you trust the words coming out of Bobby Evan’s mouth). Evans said that Tampa each time insisted that Duffy be a part of the deal.

I liked Duffy a lot. But with Nunez on board through next year, and Arroyo in the wings, I think it was a good trade.

You more often than not have to give up something to get something.

• Irish Kevin said, on August 4, 2016 at 1:47 pm

Thanks Chi, I understand the trade, but the question still needs to be addressed on why Nunez is not starting? I was so frustrated with the revolving door at 2nd and 3rd that I thought theGiants infield was set. That’s all.

• chipower9 said, on August 4, 2016 at 2:36 pm

Because Gillaspie has had a hot hand, and Bochy wanted him in the line-up. It was discussed on the post game that Bochy brought Nunez into his office to tell him he was not being benched, and that Bochy just felt he needed Gillaspie in the LU for that day.

41. willedav said, on August 4, 2016 at 1:22 pm

Solid outing for Moore despite the walks. Great curve ball, only 3 hits 2 cheap ones.

Couple good ABs for Panik too, line drive single scored a run and last time up hard hit groundball where Franco made an excellent play. Span coming around too, need more from middle order.

42. snarkk said, on August 4, 2016 at 1:26 pm

One can argue there is a chemistry problem. In pen, on the rest of squad. Lots of guys in and out, new guys now. Hard to keep a rhythm, so people are batting and pitchers out of sync. Wonder if Panik is actually feeling ok…

43. snarkk said, on August 4, 2016 at 1:30 pm

I know they had some, but I can’t remember when Giants last had a comfortable win. This constant grinding is tough…

44. chipower9 said, on August 4, 2016 at 1:30 pm

Whoo fucking hoo! Graybeard goes yard! Now…can the pen close it out?!

45. unca_chuck said, on August 4, 2016 at 1:30 pm

Z-Span wakes up!

46. chipower9 said, on August 4, 2016 at 1:33 pm

Let’s close this bitch out boys…we need a win on the way outta town, to propel the team into DC.

47. unca_chuck said, on August 4, 2016 at 1:33 pm

At ’em balls are off the charts for us.

48. unca_chuck said, on August 4, 2016 at 1:37 pm

Nooonie!! Very nice play!

• Flavor said, on August 4, 2016 at 2:00 pm

i didn’t see it. Did he throw an apple pie over to first base? lulz

• unca_chuck said, on August 4, 2016 at 3:40 pm

Hard grounder to his left that he lunged for, spun and threw Joseph (slow as fuck thank God) out.

• Flavor said, on August 4, 2016 at 3:48 pm

yeah, I ended up seeing it on mlb.com. Spun, momentum carrying him toward left, still managed to get a decent throw off.

49. chipower9 said, on August 4, 2016 at 1:38 pm

Just getting on. Been in meetings and on a webex most of the day. Great thread Flav. I was thinking the same thing last night (we were at a sportbar for my grand daughter’s fifth BD). Cueto should have been out much earlier than he was…

50. chipower9 said, on August 4, 2016 at 1:39 pm

Ballgame! The Graybeard comes through with the winning knock!

51. Bozo said, on August 4, 2016 at 1:40 pm

I love DSpan.

62 was a long timing coming, now get the phuck outta there.

• Carstie Clausen said, on August 4, 2016 at 2:02 pm

With 62 wins in the books we cannot lose more than 100.

• Bozo said, on August 4, 2016 at 2:30 pm

Yeah you right, Stix. Yeah you right.

52. unca_chuck said, on August 4, 2016 at 1:53 pm

From the frying pan to the fire. We’ll see how this goes in DC….Smarge needs to get large.

53. sandog said, on August 4, 2016 at 2:04 pm

Span with GW dinger and avg now up to .265?!
    Strick with a clean inning?!
    Proud of my boys!
    Looks like I picked the wrong day to miss a game.
    Man, we needed that.

…and a spaldeen is a Spalding, a. pelota, you know….a ball. Maybe a golf ball or maybe one of those pink stickball balls that I meant to buy when I was in NY. They sell ’em at the counter at Modell’s.

• chipower9 said, on August 4, 2016 at 2:46 pm

I think they are one of those pink balls we used in grade school to play kick-ball…

54. Carstie Clausen said, on August 4, 2016 at 2:06 pm

So Romo garners an official first win of the season. Whodda thunk it. Maybe at last, being in familiar territory in the NLE stadiums, Span has come to life. He’s been the hottest bat on the team in these 3 games anyway. Excellent first outing as a Giant for Moore. Bullies were solid. Law as steady as a rock. Casilla coming around and quitting with the drama. Nice. Defense was pretty steady today. Once Loki toodles along elsewhere this BBIP incredibility should peter out. Spose we can start another 2-game winning streak?

55. gianthead said, on August 4, 2016 at 2:17 pm

The heat index for the next 3 games in DC at gane time is 89, 92 and 93…first two games at night and that means it will be steamy…we need two boys and come out of the trip 3-3…

• Bozo said, on August 4, 2016 at 2:28 pm

I’m not going up for these games, are you going to any of them?

56. chipower9 said, on August 4, 2016 at 2:44 pm

Even with all the post-All Star scuffling, the Giants still have the third best record in all of baseball.

If the boys go .500 rest of the way, they end up with 89 wins. Not sure that wins the division…too much ball left to play. I would feel better if they went 30-24 rest of the way…ending up with 92 wins. I think that will do it.

57. unca_chuck said, on August 4, 2016 at 3:42 pm

Spaldeen is a Spaulding? Huh. Must be an east coast thing.

We played kick-ball with the red ones here on the left coast. The only pink balls I kicked were Joey Hollinger’s in 3rd grade.

58. eddacker said, on August 4, 2016 at 4:40 pm

And the magic number drops to 52. Stay hot in Washington.

• djloo27 said, on August 4, 2016 at 7:42 pm

We’re hot?

• eddacker said, on August 5, 2016 at 12:37 am

Umm, no, but everything else seems to be so why not us? Washington, the weather & the team, the division race and the Phils when they play us.
        [to the tune of radio announcer Russ Hodges] ‘the Giants win a game!, ‘the Giants win a game!”
        And, as chipower9 says, giddy up.

59. djloo27 said, on August 4, 2016 at 9:03 pm

Nice comeback for Vogelsong tonight…

• sandog said, on August 4, 2016 at 9:29 pm

Really happy for him. That dudes got guts for days, no doubt about that.

60. Macdog said, on August 4, 2016 at 9:28 pm

Finally (or phinally), a happy ending courtesy of Old Man Span. Nice, sunny day at the yard, a bit hot, enough to drive my daughter into the shaded section for the last few innings. Spent most of the game catching up with my high school buddy who lives north of Philly. Best tidbit was finding out he was drinking buddies with the guy who’s the Phillie Phanatic during their days at Drexel. Kind of a sleepy game, both teams playing like they had gone through 12 the night before. Moore was pretty good, too many walks obviously, but he works at a good pace and even got a bunt down to help get the second run in. Craw with another strange game in the field, watching instead of covering 2nd when Panik make a great stop and then the misplay in the 9th. Thank god for the overslide-caught stealing to end the 9th for Romo. But after two games there, I’ve seen enough of the Philly CFers catch every ball hit their way.

• sandog said, on August 4, 2016 at 9:31 pm

Another great report. Thanks Mac!

• Flavor said, on August 5, 2016 at 6:08 am

fantastic report. Felt like I was there.

61. zumiee said, on August 5, 2016 at 7:18 am

Cespedes played golf in the morning, then pulled a muscle in that night’s game. Not a good look.

62. willedav said, on August 5, 2016 at 7:47 am

I realize Giants are 3 thousand miles away from the marine layer, but I think that’s a kind of feeble excuse for poor play (if it happens).
    If you look at roster, a number of guys grew up playing ball in the South—Pence Belt Posey Span Bum Cain Peavy for a start.
    Panik’s from upstate NY so he’s lived in heat/humidity too. Nunez and Pagan from DR/PR, add in Blanco and Casilla, you could make an argument hot weather is what half the team are used to, not 50 some degrees for night games at ATT in July and August.