External Motivation

Posted in Uncategorized by Flavor on August 5, 2016

Span and Casilla have gotten much better since the additions of Nunie and Smith. Coincidence? They say it is. But the evidence is clear. I guess if that’s what those guys needed to finally get their shit together, so be it.

How hot is it in DC today? Weather.com says mid 80’s later today. That seems fine but I’m sure the humidity will make it worse. One thing we learned about our guys in New York: they like a cool marine layer. Nature’s air conditioning. Our boys like to keep their core temp at its proper homeostatic balance. Maybe they could equip each Giants hat with one of those portable fan thingy’s…..

Leaving Black Butte today and bouncing down to Bend. I haven’t seen a single black person in Oregon since I got here. They should change the name of this place to White Butte. lulz. Anyway, I’ll be gettin’ down to business at the Awbrey Glen Golf Club so I’ll likely miss this game but I think my sister has some type of mlb package at her house. So maybe I see some of the game. Looking forward to more “Nunie magic” today….

__________

lol, just got to my sister’s house. Get a load of the street sign that’s right outside her house. I’m pouring one out for the DuffHeads right now.

Screenshot_20160805-125206

1. gianthead said, on August 5, 2016 at 7:50 am

Weather here could be worse so that is a positive. May be some t-storm issues for tomorrow’s game…

• Flavor said, on August 5, 2016 at 7:53 am

you going to any of the games?

• gianthead said, on August 5, 2016 at 8:29 am

No. No more jinxing. I think they have lost 4 out of the last 5 games I have seen. Plus I hate the humid games but Sunday may be much more pleasant and may get 9 holes in after…

2. snarkk said, on August 5, 2016 at 8:06 am

Casilla has been better than solid the last coupla appearances. If the guy feels it early on and gets an early out, he’s good. God forbid somebody makes an error or the ump looks at him cross eyed, then the bad Casilla starts heating up and a balk off may ensue. Let’s get this first game at Nats…

• Flavor said, on August 5, 2016 at 8:09 am

early Flap appearance by you, my man. Couldn’t sleep?

• snarkk said, on August 5, 2016 at 8:42 am

Taking the day off. Go figure.
        Oregon golf sounds pretty damn good. Fairways and greens.
        I hear there’s a pretty good Brew Pub scene in Bend. I gotta visit someday. Sounds like a retirement destination possibility?…

3. unca_chuck said, on August 5, 2016 at 8:14 am

What is their collective IVR, or PMS, or whatever your index of ability is . . . ?

4. unca_chuck said, on August 5, 2016 at 8:15 am

Yeah, we need to reel off a winning streak of some kind.

5. alleykat69 said, on August 5, 2016 at 8:22 am

Want to give a shout out to Ryan Voglesong!
    Amazing performance coming back from his devastating injury, 6 innings 3 hits,1er,1bb,6K’s and retired the 11 hitters he faced..Great Job my man,a true gamer!!

• snarkk said, on August 5, 2016 at 8:44 am

Yep, the guy is a Gamer. Dang, had we known that kind of thing got him going, somebody should’ve given him a right cross to the chin while he was a Giant that last season… 😉

• Carstie Clausen said, on August 5, 2016 at 8:52 am

Ditto.

• chipower9 said, on August 5, 2016 at 10:02 am

Glad he is having success. I really thought he had a year left, and wanted the Giants to bring him back. Oh well…gotta love some VogelSTRONG.

6. willedav said, on August 5, 2016 at 8:22 am

Stats geeks at F/G have a funny column on Romo getting the W yesterday despite officially not facing a batter.
    Plus, technically Cesar Hernandez did steal 2b on him but slid past it and Panik tagged him out.
    Span homers, Sergio with the W. Casilla with the save, and has been quite successful lately.
    Story goes on to mention other instances stuff like this have happened, including one by Alan Embree 2009.

In the comments section couple other bloggers talk about Hernandez as a baserunner not being sharpest tool in the shed.

I posted something end of last thread about all the Giants who grew up playing ball all their lives in South/East/Latin Am, accounting for half the team at least. It ain’t any cooler when other team is in field or at bat, so no excuses. Might be they even like it a lot better than playing in SF.

SF weather is just such an anomaly, being on the coast with ocean/bay right there. Any direction a half hour away the temp climbs 20 degrees. Everyone who has ever been to a game at Stick has stories about freezing in shorts and t shirts during summer day games once sun moves around the park. And at night, holy F was it cold.

• gianthead said, on August 5, 2016 at 8:35 am

The fog blowing over the lip of the Stick was always a site…but I would still take that over a 100 heat index game at the Nats park…

• Carstie Clausen said, on August 5, 2016 at 8:54 am

One can dress up for cold but never totally dress down for heat. It would be amusing, though, to contemplate a fully nude audience at an ML game. I suspect people would be changing seats and sight views a whole bunch. And when the fat lady sings there might be a good many averted glances.

• willedav said, on August 5, 2016 at 8:43 am

Maybe but I don’t think bum would. I’ve hear him talk before about how warm weather loosens him up.
      Pence Belt Posey Span Cain Peavy Bum all these guys grew up playing in South, HS and college, not to mention Hispanic players from PR/DR etc.. I’d say they are more used to it than SF weather.

• chipower9 said, on August 5, 2016 at 10:06 am

Great account of the SF weather. It can be hot, and it can be cold as hell in the summer, too. I have shared before my experience at a double header in July (at the Stick) against the Cubbies. We were under the lip in the lower boxes, and it was so damned cold, we would dash down to stand in the sun between innings.

As Will Rogers once said, my coldest winter was a summer in San Francisco.

7. snarkk said, on August 5, 2016 at 8:46 am

Warm weather is good for loosening up those hammies — Pence and Cain…

8. Flavor said, on August 5, 2016 at 8:54 am

Snarkk— eh, a ,lot of Californians retire up here. I don’t think it’s for me. I like a little more diversity in my life. This is the whitest state I’ve ever been to in my life.

• Carstie Clausen said, on August 5, 2016 at 8:56 am

You wanna see white? Try why oh why oh Wyoming.

• chipower9 said, on August 5, 2016 at 10:07 am

Yes! I lived in Casper back in the mid-70s. Had been there several months and realized I had not seen ONE black person!

• snarkk said, on August 5, 2016 at 9:06 am

Well, Arizona and Florida are too friggin hot and humid, no retiring there for me. I’ve heard eastern Oregon is a bit “conservative” — if I went up there would I be required to carry a concealed weapon? Eh, maybe some retirement beach cottage in Costa Rica would be good…

• Flavor said, on August 5, 2016 at 9:10 am

how ’bout a condo overlooking AT&T? Seems like a good enough place to me.

• djloo27 said, on August 5, 2016 at 9:22 am

Blade highly recommends the South Bronx…

• snarkk said, on August 5, 2016 at 9:26 am

ATT area condo works. Maybe when Kruk quits there will be an opening. I could apply for an usher job, but might not last long — “hey, punk, show me your ticket!” But, I’d have to find something else to do the other 6 months of the year. As for retirement destinations, last time I played golf was on Kauai at the Prince, about 5 years ago. That course was gorgeous, and tough as nails. Didn’t put me off, just haven’t picked up sticks since then. One of these days, maybe I’ll go back to it. Any retirement spot needs to have some decent golf choices. Kauai would be just fine, but damn expensive. I’d have to live in a shack, but it’s gorgeous there. The shack aspect would probably not be optimal for Mrs. snarkk…

• Flavor said, on August 5, 2016 at 9:35 am

I think you mean “the south of Vietnam”

• unca_chuck said, on August 5, 2016 at 9:43 am

Oregon does have a dark period in their history of excluding black from settling there. Mainly freed slaves.

• Flavor said, on August 5, 2016 at 9:44 am

well if White Butte is any indication, they’re still practicing it.

• snarkk said, on August 5, 2016 at 9:45 am

Ha. The blade retirement approach. I’d need to get in way better shape for that…

• unca_chuck said, on August 5, 2016 at 9:47 am

Hah! We seriously thought about taking a break for a couple years and moving to Costa Rica. There’s pretty solid infrastructure to tap into in you are serious about it. The pacific side is gorgeous. We spent our 10th anniversary there.

• chipower9 said, on August 5, 2016 at 10:13 am

Kauai is gorgeous. I had a timeshare there for years (Lawai Beach resort in Poipu – south side of the island). But as snarkk says…very expensive.

• sfsarge said, on August 5, 2016 at 11:53 am

My Latina wife and I were at the Tillamook factory and we ran into some skinheads. Thought I was gonna have to fight my way out. Just a bunch of glaring and spitting on the ground. Other than that little bit of ugliness, we had a great trip. We drove from the Bay Area up to Seattle and then back down the coast. Oregon is gorgeous. Bandon dunes looked awesome from the highway.

9. djloo27 said, on August 5, 2016 at 9:48 am

There’s a 20 year old bench warrant for me in Oregon.
    Nothing terribly serious.
    Do they ever expire?

• unca_chuck said, on August 5, 2016 at 9:51 am

Depends on the charge. I can’t even hazard a guess as to the trouble you got into, DJ.

• djloo27 said, on August 5, 2016 at 11:44 am

I ordered a Budweiser in a micro-brewery…

• unca_chuck said, on August 5, 2016 at 11:47 am

Punishable by death. Stay away . . .

• snarkk said, on August 5, 2016 at 10:03 am

There are pay websites to check on warrants outstanding. Not sure how reliable they are…

10. snarkk said, on August 5, 2016 at 9:49 am

If Trump wins, Costa Rican real estate will get a lot more expensive…

11. unca_chuck said, on August 5, 2016 at 9:50 am

Yeah, Eastern Oregon = Idaho = well, Mark Fuhrman country.

12. Macdog said, on August 5, 2016 at 9:53 am

I guess the Blazers are out of state for the offseason?

13. snarkk said, on August 5, 2016 at 9:59 am

I really would like to see the Gyros play a good series in DC. Even one of three would be OK, as long as they play well. Tired of them going back East and all playing like they just spent the previous night in Bangkok on a tour guided by Paul and blade…

• chipower9 said, on August 5, 2016 at 10:14 am

“…on a tour guided by Paul and blade.” lulz!

14. zumiee said, on August 5, 2016 at 10:01 am

A little poignant moment from DeRosa on the MLB Network this morning- one of the other broadcasters mentioned that DeRosa had gotten a World Series ring with the Giants in ’10, and DeRosa said something like: “I didn’t do anything on the field to help that team win…..but I think I gave some valuable advice to players.”
    It does seem to bother him that he didn’t do much on the field for the Giants for two seasons, but made some good money, though. I think he feels the value he had for the Giants was as a kind of extra coach.
    DeRosa is usually a blustery humorous guy on the MLB Network, so it was interesting to see him get quieter talking about his time with the Giants. He has huge respect for the Giants, and is glad to have been a part of their history, but really wishes he could have done more for them on the field.
    It always seemed a strange signing to me. He was recovering from wrist surgery when the Giants signed him. He was a risky signing that didn’t pan out. The amount of money doesn’t seem like much these days, but at the time it was a decent chunk of money.

• zumiee said, on August 5, 2016 at 10:07 am

But as I’ve said before with other events in Giants history, regarding alternate universes, sliding doors, the wind from butterfly wings….if I had a chance to go back and change history, and have the Giants not sign DeRosa, would I do that and take a chance on how events would unfold? No, I would not. The three championships are so incredibly awesome, I wouldn’t change any history and take a chance on tweaking cause and effect, and risking any of the championships.

• snarkk said, on August 5, 2016 at 10:27 am

If they’d have cut his ass, we’d probably have 4 by now… 😉

• zumiee said, on August 5, 2016 at 11:12 am

Ha! But would you roll that cosmic dice? 🙂

• snarkk said, on August 5, 2016 at 11:50 am

No, I’m good with the 3. But, hey, I’m still breathin’, so I want more. It’s way more fun having your team winning titles than not…

• wilcojoe said, on August 5, 2016 at 11:04 am

I caught that Zum. That was pretty cool. He did seem to get somewhat introspective if only for a few seconds. I think what lead to that moment was the mentioning of Matt Moore’s decision not to wear Lincecum’s 55.

• wilcojoe said, on August 5, 2016 at 11:05 am

Of course I have almost no recollection of him even being on that team.

• zumiee said, on August 5, 2016 at 11:18 am

Yeah, a view of his stats shows very limited playing time. In ’10, he had about 100 plate appearances, batting average in the .190s, 1 HR, 10 RBIs. In ’11, about 100 plate appearances, batting average in the .270s, no HRs.

• snarkk said, on August 5, 2016 at 11:34 am

HIs wife is very hot, he made millions basically for being a cheerleader. Were I in his place, I’d be pretty happy and very generous with praise of Giants, too…

• djloo27 said, on August 5, 2016 at 11:34 am

I consider “Dishin’ With DeRosa” the beginning of Amy G’s downfall…

• wilcojoe said, on August 5, 2016 at 12:09 pm

I am pretty much convinced that DeRosa is sleeping with the smoking hot female host. I don’t know how you couldn’t, spending every morning staring at those legs.

15. dirtnrocksnomo said, on August 5, 2016 at 11:06 am

snarkk, there’s a great brewfest in Portland that is worth checking out. It’s held in July if I remember correctly. Unless you like the outdoors it probably isn’t a good retirement spot for you. It’s funny that you mention the conservatives in OR. My brother lives up there and complains about socialist everywhere. I’ve long suspected that he’s mildly retarded though so probably not much to it.

• chipower9 said, on August 5, 2016 at 11:32 am

Conservative is a synonym for retard, correct? 😉

• snarkk said, on August 5, 2016 at 11:39 am

Conservative used to mean guys like William F. Buckley. They actually made cogent arguments about their ideas — you could disagree, but they would acknowledge you. If you punch up Buckley vs. Gore Vidal on you tube, that is some insanely good stuff, the way those guys pounded each other intellectually. Verbal fisticuffs. Now, conservatives seems to mean basically people that are pissed off and yelling and believe everything said by idiots ranting on the radio (and laughing all the way to the bank). Real conservatives in the old sense need to start another party. Eisenhower would be drummed out of the current GOP, though he may have been the most prepared candidate for President in the 20th century. Comparing Ike and his background and accomplishments to Trump’s is beyond mind boggling…

• dirtnrocksnomo said, on August 5, 2016 at 11:40 am

No, Chi. I don’t think that at all. The modern republican party is not conservative in my opinion.

• gianthead said, on August 5, 2016 at 11:44 am

Chi taking another at me the lobbyist:)

• chipower9 said, on August 5, 2016 at 3:10 pm

You know it is all in good fun, fellas. Just seeing what type of a rile I can get out of you all!

16. blade3colorado said, on August 5, 2016 at 11:33 am

I thought the dude that thought he was cold in August while in San Francisco was Mark Twain?

• zumiee said, on August 5, 2016 at 11:37 am

Yeah- he said the best winter he ever spent was a summer in San Francisco.

• chipower9 said, on August 5, 2016 at 11:39 am

You are right, though according to snopes, in all of Twain’s writings, they have never uncovered this quote.

• gianthead said, on August 5, 2016 at 11:45 am

The conventional wisdom is that Twain never did say that and may have become urban legend…I like the idea of him saying it though…

• zumiee said, on August 5, 2016 at 12:01 pm

Ah, very interesting.

17. chipower9 said, on August 5, 2016 at 11:36 am

Regarding Wilco’s 11:04 re: Moore and 55. I was one of the ones the other day who said I did not have a problem if Moore rocked the 55, but I am glad that when it was offered, he deferred to wearing 45.

Once Timmy retires (and I am sure the Giants will do one of those sign him for one day so he can retire a Giants things), they should retire that number.

• zumiee said, on August 5, 2016 at 11:38 am

Totally agree with all of that.

• unca_chuck said, on August 5, 2016 at 11:58 am

They’d better pull out all the stops when Timmy retires. He probably won’t make the Hall, but he deserves a statue, a number retirement ceremony, a parade, a star on Hollywood Blvd, and the works. He was the bridge from shitty-town to glory. He made us forget about the staggering death march and media circus that became the Bonds saga. He was absolutely huge in 2010 and subsumed his personal goals for the team in the 2012 playoff run. Sure, he was scuffling badly by 2014, but his contributions to the team are too numerous to dismiss as just another ‘good Giant.’

• dirtnrocksnomo said, on August 5, 2016 at 12:09 pm

You think he would go for a turn in the broadcast booth?

• djloo27 said, on August 5, 2016 at 12:21 pm

He has a great voice…

18. unca_chuck said, on August 5, 2016 at 11:53 am

Funny (and really fucked up) how the Giants gave DeRosa a ring for basically hanging with the team, and the Royals blow off Cueto by not giving him a ring even though he was huge in their playoff run (3-1).

19. gianthead said, on August 5, 2016 at 11:56 am

Snarkk…I think a great retirement idea is North Carolina…big state with lots of different locales from mountains to beach as Bozo can attest. And tons of golf. I’ve got one friend moved to the Raleigh area and he has an incredible place in a golf community. But he is still working but prices are probably a quarter for real estate that what is back home in CA.

And a ton of people are retiring there from the northeast so if you don’t want too conservative, the demographics are changing significantly. Went to Asheville over spring break and it is like a mountain town Berkeley…

• wilcojoe said, on August 5, 2016 at 12:14 pm

I completely agree on NC. Maybe even the Hilton Head/Savanah area as well. I could totally live in either locale.

• gianthead said, on August 5, 2016 at 12:35 pm

Never been to Hilton Head itself but also live Charleston but one can get away from the humidity as well in the NC mountains.

• chipower9 said, on August 5, 2016 at 3:11 pm

Just be cognizant of the correct restroom to use…

20. alleykat69 said, on August 5, 2016 at 11:57 am

I think Timmeh’s retired number should be “420” plus that might be his era before he is finished…

21. zumiee said, on August 5, 2016 at 12:07 pm

I could never retire to an area that was more than a couple of hours away from lively concert venues and major or minor league baseball games. 🙂

• dirtnrocksnomo said, on August 5, 2016 at 12:08 pm

Maybe the A’s will move to Portland. :/

• zumiee said, on August 5, 2016 at 12:50 pm

Could be. 🙂

22. djloo27 said, on August 5, 2016 at 12:08 pm

Retiring Teixeira blubbering like an idiot.
    You would think he had 6 months to live…

23. dirtnrocksnomo said, on August 5, 2016 at 12:10 pm

lulz, dj. 400 bombs make him hall worthy?

• djloo27 said, on August 5, 2016 at 12:14 pm

Don’t think he makes it, but who knows?
      I want Kent, Bonds and Albert Belle in there…

• dirtnrocksnomo said, on August 5, 2016 at 12:17 pm

May as well put them all in together and throw in Clemens. Call it Year of the Red Ass or something.

• zumiee said, on August 5, 2016 at 12:47 pm

I would think there’s no way he gets in. That’s my opinion, anyway.

24. blade3colorado said, on August 5, 2016 at 12:13 pm

OK, ya smart asses, who said, “It ain’t the heat, it’s the humility.” Game clock is running . . . and no checking the internet.

• wilcojoe said, on August 5, 2016 at 12:16 pm

Gotta be Yogi, eh?

• blade3colorado said, on August 5, 2016 at 12:23 pm

Ding! Ding! Ding! We got a winner! Mr. Joe . . . Music fade

“Welcome back. We are about to play Double Jeopardy!. Let me tell you what that means; it means that the answers are going to be a lot tougher; it means there’s a lot more money involved and it also means there are two Daily Doubles hidden somewhere on this board, to help our contestants earn more cash. Players, once again we are going to play until you hear this sound: (low-pitched doo-doo-doo sound). That’ll signify the end of the round. If you’re all set to go, then let’s play Double Jeopardy!” 🙂

25. Flavor said, on August 5, 2016 at 12:14 pm

see Mac down below…..

• dirtnrocksnomo said, on August 5, 2016 at 12:16 pm

Too many infielders (2b)?

• djloo27 said, on August 5, 2016 at 12:18 pm

2 catchers, 2 second baseman, 2 outfielders and no pitcher.
      I think this lineup proves Bochy is losing it…

• Macdog said, on August 5, 2016 at 12:20 pm

I’m seeing: Span CF, Pagan LF, Nunez 3B, Posey 1B, Pence RF, Crawford SS, Brown C, Adrianza 2B, Samardzija RHP

• Flavor said, on August 5, 2016 at 12:26 pm

yup. you’re right. They changed it to this at rotogrinders shortly after I copied and pasted the one I posted

• snarkk said, on August 5, 2016 at 12:40 pm

Span had his best game of the year yesterday. So, now he’s in leadoff for the next 2 years…

26. Irish Kevin said, on August 5, 2016 at 12:14 pm

Too much Rain north of CA border, I love summer and warm days. Hawaii would be awesome if not for the cost, now I here there are pockets of areas where Americans live in Mexico on the cheap. Don’t know much about them. I am thinking AZ so I could go to spring trading every year.

27. snarkk said, on August 5, 2016 at 12:29 pm

i missed who had to go to bring up Adrianza. I don’t get it. He’s supposed to be good with glove, but last year he made a good number of errors given the chances he had. Supposedly now he’s got some pop, somehow. The guy has 9 lives, and so far, IMO the ones he’s used up haven’t included being worth a crap in the major leagues…

• Flavor said, on August 5, 2016 at 12:35 pm

he hit a home run in 2013. Pretty sure Pawlie was there to witness it.

• djloo27 said, on August 5, 2016 at 12:46 pm

Mac was DL’ed, Snarkk.

BTW, from some of the posts in recent days make it sound like not all of you realize that Duffy was NOT part of the Nunez trade…

• snarkk said, on August 5, 2016 at 12:47 pm

Ok, thanks. I hope they bring Williamson back before the callups…

• zumiee said, on August 5, 2016 at 12:57 pm

Just a really unfortunate injury for Williamson on a weird play, throwing from a prone position, and hurting the non-throwing shoulder. Didn’t he have a surgery last year? Maybe a shoulder, too?

28. snarkk said, on August 5, 2016 at 12:35 pm

I still say we need to set up an online Flap HOF for MLB. A real HOF. One that puts in those deserving, regardless of off field or use/non use of certain substances. Asterisks for murderers and wife beaters, etc. Piazza going in before Bonds was a total joke. And, Snake going in this weekend posthumously into Canton is an abomination. 1970s NFL would not have been nearly as good without Snake. He owned the 4th quarter. The guy should have been in there 2 decades ago. Put Snake on the Jets and Joe Willie in Oakland, and there’s the difference for the HOF…

29. snarkk said, on August 5, 2016 at 12:38 pm

I can’t move to N. Carolina.
    Not sure which bathrooms I’m supposed to use…

30. zumiee said, on August 5, 2016 at 1:01 pm

“Schierholtz, who played for the Giants from 2007-2012, has been suspended 80 games after testing positive for ibutamoren, a growth hormone that violates MLB’s performance-enhancing drugs policy.

Schierholtz, 32, was part of the deal with the Philadelphia Phillies that brought Hunter Pence to San Francisco and has bounced around baseball ever since. He last played in the majors with the Nationals in 2014. He spent the 2015 season playing in the Japan Central League, then signed a minor-league deal with the Tigers last offseason and hit .246 in 31 games for their Triple-A affiliate in Toledo.

Over his six-year Giants career, Schierholtz slashed .270/.319/.410 in 1,316 plate appearances. He went to San Ramon Valley High School in Danville, California and was drafted by the Giants in the second round in 2003.”

• snarkk said, on August 5, 2016 at 1:21 pm

How many other dudes are doing stuff to keep themselves in the majors — or at least within hailing distance? Like I say, nobody is beyond suspicion. Too bad for him, not a good look on his way out…

31. Flavor said, on August 5, 2016 at 1:02 pm

check out the pic I just posted in the main thread. Too funny. Ok, off to golf, talk to you guys later.

• zumiee said, on August 5, 2016 at 1:06 pm

Oh man, that is freakin’ amazing.

• snarkk said, on August 5, 2016 at 1:09 pm

What’s the next street — Skeeter Lane?…

• wilcojoe said, on August 5, 2016 at 1:14 pm

Holy shit, that’s crazy!

32. Macdog said, on August 5, 2016 at 1:59 pm

That’s freakin’ wild. I don’t suppose there’s an Adrianza Dr. nearby?

33. wilcojoe said, on August 5, 2016 at 2:07 pm

I just hope the next intersection isn’t “Farewell Dr and 1st PL”

34. zumiee said, on August 5, 2016 at 2:07 pm

Agent 000, AKA The Rash, gets a start today. To me, Pena has more upside, but we’ll see. Maybe we’ll get pleasantly surprised. Maybe.

• zumiee said, on August 5, 2016 at 2:12 pm

• unca_chuck said, on August 5, 2016 at 2:33 pm

Damn! Judy Tenuda! Saw her a few times . . . when she was funny she was real funny . . .

35. unca_chuck said, on August 5, 2016 at 2:36 pm

Snarkk, I feel the same way about George Will. I didn’t necessarily agree with him all, or even most of the time, but at least he formulates his reasoning in cogent sentences.

That sign is nuts.

I guess we get to see if 000 becomes 1.000 . . .

36. blade3colorado said, on August 5, 2016 at 2:52 pm

Shout out to Joe and Flav . . . Be very, very careful about rostering anyone from Sherpaland this evening. Rain is definitely in the forecast. Possibly a lot. I can easily see this game being canceled.

• wilcojoe said, on August 5, 2016 at 2:58 pm

Thanks! I just responded to your email.

37. chipower9 said, on August 5, 2016 at 3:13 pm

Holy shit…

Agent 000 in the line-up…

1. Denard Span (L) CF
    2. Angel Pagan (S) LF
    3. Eduardo Nunez (R) 3B
    4. Buster Posey (R) 1B
    5. Hunter Pence (R) RF
    6. Brandon Crawford (L) SS
    7. Trevor Brown (R) C
    8. Ehire Adrianza (S) 2B
    9. Jeff Samardzija (R) P

Belt with the day off.

• chipower9 said, on August 5, 2016 at 3:20 pm

Sorry – did not see the line-up was already posted. Fucking Agent 000…just fucking shoot me, now. I would rather have Pena.

• blade3colorado said, on August 5, 2016 at 3:54 pm

Actually, this is probably our strongest LU against the lefty Gonzales. Shit, we just played the MOFO about 6 days ago (won 3-1) and I think we had Noonan at lead off, Williamson 5th, Belt 6th, and Giseppso 8th. No issues with this LU.

38. zumiee said, on August 5, 2016 at 3:24 pm

Off-topic political stuff, feel free to ignore….
    With a bounce from her convention, and Trump having a pretty bad week, Nate has Hillary currently at an 81% chance of winning. Polls, of course, are fickle beasts, and there’s a long way to go still, but she’s had a good couple of weeks.

• blade3colorado said, on August 5, 2016 at 3:56 pm

I trust in Nate. Dude rarely gets it wrong and he’s frequently right about the %s too.

• wilcojoe said, on August 5, 2016 at 4:25 pm

There is a huge furniture store here in Houston that has a promotion going right now. Spend $2000 or more and pick the winning presidential party and you get all of your money back. The wife and I are very tempted to bet on Hillary and get a free bedroom set out of it.

• djloo27 said, on August 5, 2016 at 4:42 pm

It can’t be real…

• wilcojoe said, on August 5, 2016 at 4:52 pm

It’s no joke. Mattress Mack (Snarkk probably remembers his obnoxious commercials from his days in Houston) is kind of a local legend. I guess he would be similar to Crazy Eddie from your neck of the woods. He has done similar promos for the last two Super Bowls and one last year betting that the price of oil wouldn’t hit $90 a barrel by years end.

Yeah, you would think this would be a cakewalk of a bet, but remember this is Texas where most people who can drop $2000 on a furniture bet are likely republicans. I wouldn’t be surprised if he wins serious money on the deal.

• djloo27 said, on August 5, 2016 at 4:58 pm

He’s the guy that owns Breeders Cup Sprint Champ – Run Happy.
        A lot of talk that he’s a real scumbag…
        But I hope you get your free bedroom set, WJ!

• wilcojoe said, on August 5, 2016 at 5:01 pm

That’s right Loo! I forgot his horse racing connections. Yeah, I look forward to taking his money.

• snarkk said, on August 5, 2016 at 6:08 pm

Mattress Mack sounds somewhat familiar. I remember an old dude who did special features on the local news, and on Friday nights he would run through a list of half a dozen restaurants and how they did/didn’t do on recent health department inspections. His favorite line: “slime in the ice machine”. His family owned a clothing / men’s store or something right along the 610 loop interior somewhere. He’s probably been dead for years, now. What a hoot…

• wilcojoe said, on August 5, 2016 at 7:47 pm

Snarkk, your thinking of Marvin Zindler. Yeah he passed away about a year after I moved to Houston. He was entertaining to say the least.

Dom Deluise’s character in The Best Little Whorehouse in Texas was based on Marvin Zindler’s investigative story that broke the news on the Chicken Ranchin La Grange, TX. Of course ZZ Top would make it famous in their song by the same name.

39. unca_chuck said, on August 5, 2016 at 3:36 pm

I wonder how much Hillary is paying The Donald to be her foil?

• zumiee said, on August 5, 2016 at 4:01 pm

40. djloo27 said, on August 5, 2016 at 4:14 pm

Absolutely no attempt to even get in a rundown.
    Fuckin’ Nunie is a lazy cocksucker…

41. djloo27 said, on August 5, 2016 at 4:20 pm

I hope Timmy does well in Seattle tonight.
    I am so pissed off at Nunez.
    What an absolute useless piece of shit…

42. zumiee said, on August 5, 2016 at 4:24 pm

Alright, let’s hit the re-start button to this game already.

43. djloo27 said, on August 5, 2016 at 4:25 pm

This team sucks top to bottom.
    They’ll be lucky to finish above .500…

44. gianthead said, on August 5, 2016 at 4:25 pm

This is why I didn’t plan in going to see this game…big credit to Dusty, he has them playing small ball…

45. gianthead said, on August 5, 2016 at 4:37 pm

I think the race with Hillary is essentially over. Even with how badly McCain and Romney lost, they each still pulled 90% of Republicans. Some polling shows Trump might lose up to 25% of Republicans. Add in historical lows among Hispanics and likely women, Trump is toast. One poll out this morning from Georgia has her winning the state with the Libertarian and Green Party in the poll.

If he loses Georgia, he loses NC and VA…

46. djloo27 said, on August 5, 2016 at 4:49 pm

Great, so not only are the Giants dead, I have President Cunt to look forward to.
    And the Raiders are going to the Super Bowl…

• gianthead said, on August 5, 2016 at 4:56 pm

I’m waiting for Trump to drop the c word…

• Lurker John said, on August 5, 2016 at 5:28 pm

ROFL!

47. Lurker John said, on August 5, 2016 at 5:30 pm

Samardzija really does suck.

48. unca_chuck said, on August 5, 2016 at 5:31 pm

Is Samarge brain dead?

• djloo27 said, on August 5, 2016 at 5:50 pm

Yes. Get used to it. You’ll have him for all of Hillary’s first term.
      SanDog was right about him…

• sandog said, on August 5, 2016 at 6:00 pm

Loo…what version of stickball did you play growing up in Brooklyn? One bounce with no baserunning?

• djloo27 said, on August 5, 2016 at 6:08 pm

For some reason, there was never baserunning in any version of stickball that we played. Played much more with pitching on the fly against the chalk box on the wall. Depended on which schoolyard was available and how many kids were around…

49. zumiee said, on August 5, 2016 at 6:06 pm

If Smardj is going to keep doing this, can they continue to run him out there every 5th day? Regardless of the contract, at some point you have to save the season. Peavy maybe back into the rotation, and Smardj becomes the long guy. Or Suarez into the rotation. Or another minor leaguer.

• snarkk said, on August 5, 2016 at 6:09 pm

I floated earlier the deal that Samardz goes to the Pen, like he was earlier in the career…

• zumiee said, on August 5, 2016 at 6:14 pm

Yeah, the Giants need to consider that. He’s just giving games away.

50. djloo27 said, on August 5, 2016 at 6:13 pm

Maybe Dusty finally gets one this year. Good for him if he does.
    The Giants (2 game lead on 8/5) are dead…

• sandog said, on August 5, 2016 at 6:22 pm

C’mon Loo….you didn’t really think we were just gonna waltz to the division title without the Dodgers ever challenging us did you? I never did, even when we had a big lead. We’re going through a tough stretch right now, but I’m confident we’ll get back on track.
      As for Smardz, I’m not his biggest fan, but I keep him the rotation.

• djloo27 said, on August 5, 2016 at 6:29 pm

I may be suffering from Post Flapalooza Stress Disorder…

• sandog said, on August 5, 2016 at 6:32 pm

Go see Stephanie over at Ruby’s and have a few Bud Lights and everything is gonna to be fine.
        I think Cain is gonna shock the world and take down Strasburg tomorrow.

• djloo27 said, on August 5, 2016 at 6:37 pm

That’s a helluva good idea, SD…

51. Macdog said, on August 5, 2016 at 6:32 pm

D.O.A. in D.C.

52. snarkk said, on August 5, 2016 at 6:36 pm

Too much to ask that this team take the first game of an E Coast series. These guys are hitting like they’ve all got Zika…

53. snarkk said, on August 5, 2016 at 6:44 pm

Flemm and Kruk trying to say Samardz wasn’t really that bad. Sheezus…

• djloo27 said, on August 5, 2016 at 6:54 pm

The bar is very low…

54. zumiee said, on August 5, 2016 at 6:55 pm

Maybe the Red Sox will light up Kazmir.

55. Flavor said, on August 5, 2016 at 7:39 pm

I mean, they scored 1 run today. Smarge wasn’t the issue.

56. xoot said, on August 5, 2016 at 7:43 pm

I know D. Byrd’s version is more respectful, but this is what I hear when I see those glamor shots of Rio.

• willedav said, on August 5, 2016 at 8:09 pm

Wow thx Xoot that’s really nice. do you have the original?
      I like the Byrd version too, with Duke Pearson and Kenny Burrell…great tune he recorded often “Chant” on it too.

• xoot said, on August 5, 2016 at 8:20 pm

I once owned that vinyl. These days I’m listening to on line music via Sonos. I’m sure Memphis Charlie’s debut album is not in the boxes down in the garage. Have no idea where I let it go. Musslewhite’s still kicking. Last CD of his I bought was Delta Hardware, about 10 years ago. Very very good. I saw him live lotta times in the olden days.

57. Macdog said, on August 5, 2016 at 7:44 pm

M’s score 6 in the first inning off Lincecum.

58. sandog said, on August 5, 2016 at 7:58 pm

I have a goal that I am not going to watch one second of the Olympics. It’s going to be a challenge, but I really think I can do it. Wish me luck.

• xoot said, on August 5, 2016 at 8:06 pm

that’s a noble aspiration. I’ve done that a time or two. You do know they’ve added golf this year, right?

• sandog said, on August 5, 2016 at 8:24 pm

Yes. And I’m still dedicated to my goal.

• xoot said, on August 5, 2016 at 8:39 pm

may your holy path lead you to the light

• Macdog said, on August 5, 2016 at 8:20 pm

I’m already looking forward to the closing ceremony.

59. wilcojoe said, on August 5, 2016 at 8:00 pm

I think I read where they handed out like 100,000 condoms to the Olympic athletes. Not surprising considering how attractive many of them are. If must be a giant fuck fest down there.

60. willedav said, on August 5, 2016 at 8:12 pm

Angels have to put TL on the DL. ERA is up to 9 something…it ain’t happening, and seems cruel to keep running him out there.

Cubs up 7-0 on Triple A’s as they go to bottom of 3rd. Feel bad for Melvin too, who I think is a good baseball guy sabotaged by ownership and FO.

• zumiee said, on August 5, 2016 at 8:19 pm

I have some friends who are Cubs fans who are at that game. They’re having a groovy time.

61. zumiee said, on August 5, 2016 at 8:17 pm

Sox 4-0.

62. willedav said, on August 5, 2016 at 8:17 pm

So Westbrook got a new deal. I predict 2 things–one he breaks Wilt’s record and scores 104 one night.
    Two, he’ll average exactly 10.0 assists a game–just enough passes to teammates to get 80 triple doubles.

63. zumiee said, on August 5, 2016 at 8:22 pm

I’m into watching some of the Olympics. Some of it.
    The opening ceremony is pretty cool. A rainforest theme.

64. zumiee said, on August 5, 2016 at 8:25 pm

Rockies are winning again.

• djloo27 said, on August 5, 2016 at 8:36 pm

You’ll be posting that well into October…

• zumiee said, on August 5, 2016 at 8:47 pm

They look intent on catching the two glacier teams.

65. willedav said, on August 5, 2016 at 8:26 pm

Snarkk, a guy who worked for our company that grew up in Portland took a mgmt. job down here in San Jose.
    After 6 months in South San Jose, you should have heard him diss Oregon. Rainy dreary weather with a damp cold that went right through you was his take.

Diversity is nice here. I can drive 10-15 minutes and enjoy restaurant food from Afghan Taiwan Korea Cuba and lot of other countries and meet the people who left there to make food and a better life here.
    But, watching the mostly Anglo gals walk around downtown in summertime, they look just fine in tanks and shorts, all ages.

66. zumiee said, on August 5, 2016 at 8:51 pm

Rockies are blowing the ninth inning. Marlins are not going quietly. Donny and Barry are having some fun this season. Donny probably had very little fun in L.A.

• zumiee said, on August 5, 2016 at 8:58 pm

The Marlins were a perfect fit for Barry. Very low media attention; he can just do his job.

• zumiee said, on August 5, 2016 at 8:59 pm

And some young talented hitters to work with there is cool for him, too.

67. unca_chuck said, on August 5, 2016 at 9:00 pm

The offense is struggling but your pitcher can’t continue to groove fastballs down the middle like its batting practice. I listened to Miller calling the game and he was shocked at how much plate Smarge was getting and the Nats were hammering. Over and over. He’s given up 9 hrs n his last 5 starts.

Yeah I was wrong about Cieto and the ring .mot was the White House visit he was denied. Thx to who corrected me.

We go through these hitting slumps but this is insane. No one s doing anything.

68. xoot said, on August 5, 2016 at 9:04 pm

on smardj–he got the ball down consistently and moved around the zone early in the season, but now he can’t keep that FB down. isn’t that it? Can’t he and the coaches fix THAT?

• unca_chuck said, on August 5, 2016 at 9:12 pm

You’d think. But he’s given up 23 HRs so far this year. And it is trending upward.

My only comfort these days is that the Dodgers are losing 4-0 in the bottom of the 7th and the fans are getting on them. Stephen Wright, who looks a little like Big Flav, is knuckleballing his way to a win.

69. zumiee said, on August 5, 2016 at 9:15 pm

Tough loss for the Rockies. Gave up 4 in the 9th inning.

70. unca_chuck said, on August 5, 2016 at 9:16 pm

5-0 Sox in LA. Sounds like a lot of Red Sox fans have made the trip.

71. unca_chuck said, on August 5, 2016 at 9:17 pm

Looks like our plan is to play .333 down the stretch and stagger into the playoffs.

• zumiee said, on August 5, 2016 at 9:33 pm

Lqtm.

72. unca_chuck said, on August 5, 2016 at 9:31 pm

Hard to believe but the Dogs are playing worse that the Giants. Utley just booted a DP ball, and 2 runs score to give the Red Sox an 8-0 lead. Dogs being one-hit.

73. zumiee said, on August 5, 2016 at 9:32 pm

120 Olympic athletes from Belarus. Who knew?

• willedav said, on August 5, 2016 at 10:08 pm

One of those countries where unfortunately once Soviet broke up the former KGB guys took over.
      And in this case haven’t let go.

• zumiee said, on August 5, 2016 at 10:23 pm

Sounds very grim.

• willedav said, on August 5, 2016 at 10:30 pm

Similar to the Uzbek guy who builds monuments to himself and has run the country for 20 yrs.

74. zumiee said, on August 5, 2016 at 9:38 pm

Dodgers losing 9-0.
    9-0 is a hilarious score in baseball because it’s the same score as if you hadn’t even showed up and just forfeited. You didn’t do any better than not showing up at all.

75. zumiee said, on August 5, 2016 at 9:42 pm

The Canadian team. Man, that’s a massive amount of honkies.

76. zumiee said, on August 5, 2016 at 10:06 pm

Wright threw a complete game shutout vs. the Dodgers.

77. willedav said, on August 5, 2016 at 10:06 pm

3 hit complete game shutout for Wright over LA. Kazmir takes L,ERA now 4.51.

78. willedav said, on August 5, 2016 at 10:11 pm

Xoot, found full version of Stand Back on youtube (short 3 min version of Cristo). Fabulous, didn’t realize that was Harvey Mandel on guitar. Thx!

79. unca_chuck said, on August 5, 2016 at 10:18 pm

Love me some Charlie Musselwhite. One of the highlights of the BottleRock concert a couple years ago.

Love that album, Xoot. Most excellent.

80. unca_chuck said, on August 5, 2016 at 10:20 pm

Crazy to see Wright ‘hitting’ 68 on the speed gun.

• zumiee said, on August 5, 2016 at 10:22 pm

Long live the knuckleball!

81. zumiee said, on August 5, 2016 at 10:26 pm

The U.S. with the most athletes, 554. It’s a little embarrassing. Feels like overkill.

• willedav said, on August 5, 2016 at 10:34 pm

gal I know has a son who is incoming frosh at Jose State, where they just reinstated mens track program…think anyone on current US Olympic team will make a “black lives matter” type protest there? What would reaction be if they went full Tommy Smith?

• zumiee said, on August 5, 2016 at 10:41 pm

That would be cool. Can’t see it happening, though. Athletes now are so concerned with getting endorsement deals.

• unca_chuck said, on August 5, 2016 at 10:46 pm

Plus, it only took 30 years to actually acknowledge the stand they took.

82. zumiee said, on August 5, 2016 at 10:39 pm

Japan, 338 athletes. They bring a large team.