Back Home vs Birds

Posted in Uncategorized by Flavor on August 12, 2016

We get kind of a fun inter league match up tonight. Normally I don’t like inter league but I’ll put up with it for an mid Aug match up with the struggling Orioles. I’ve said many times, the Orioles were one of my favorite teams in the 70’s, mostly because of the cool ass names of their players (Palmer, DeCinces, Bumbry, etc…) but also because I thought “Orioles” was a rad name.

I never thought Baltimore was good enough to win the AL East this year and am surprised that they are still in the race. I highly doubt they’ll be there in the end. Cain should be able to manage them if he changes speeds and keeps the ball on the corners. He’s facing a free swinging team tonight. I’m very excited to see their starting pitcher Dylan Bundy. He’s a young, high strikeout guy who seems to have put his injuries behind him.

1. wilcojoe said, on August 13, 2016 at 11:49 am

Geoff Blum, the Astros tv color guy was discussing how they stole signs when playing in Toronto. Apparently they would have a guy sitting in one of those hotel rooms in centerfield of the skydome with a pair of binoculars and the Game on TV. They would use both to steal signs from the catcher and then relay to the hitter. If the light in the room stayed on it was a fastball, if it went dark it was off speed. Thus why Toronto is such a great hitters park.

2. unca_chuck said, on August 13, 2016 at 11:54 am

Thanks Mac. Yeah it feels worse than 2014, but I guess we still have room to go.

You’d think the law of averages would swing our way some time soon.

• djloo27 said, on August 13, 2016 at 12:04 pm

It already has, Chuck. That’s why they suck now.
      Payback for that 40-15 stretch…

3. zumiee said, on August 13, 2016 at 12:32 pm

Papelbon asked the Nats to release him, and they did.
    Any teams want the idiot?

• Flavor said, on August 13, 2016 at 12:51 pm

Remember that TV shot of him sunning himself asleep while Melancon was warming up? What an idiot, me-first guy. Fuck him.

4. zumiee said, on August 13, 2016 at 12:40 pm

Suarez, Parker, Williamson, and Tomlinson are toiling in Sac-town. I like them better than what we have on our bench right now.

5. Flavor said, on August 13, 2016 at 12:53 pm

I’ll pop a gm time thread up when I get home

6. djloo27 said, on August 13, 2016 at 1:06 pm

This might sway some of you guys on the Perry statue:

• blade3colorado said, on August 13, 2016 at 2:05 pm

Great article Loo. Thanks for sharing.

• djloo27 said, on August 13, 2016 at 2:19 pm

You’re very welcome. It’s pretty convincing, ain’t it?

• blade3colorado said, on August 13, 2016 at 2:39 pm

Not much into statues Loo. If you ever get out to San Francisco’s Phone Park, they have the the McCovey Cove area, which I think is fine to put any additional statues, such as Perry’s (no idea by the way where they will locate it). The actual park is perfect with Willie and Juan’s statue as is.

Regarding your question, I’m an old timer like you . . . Consequently, I know how valuable Perry was to the franchise. Essentially, there were 2 renaissance periods in San Francisco Giants history – the 1960s and the period since the Phone Park has been built. Both were important, but in many ways the 1960s is more important to me because it introduced me to baseball and of course, the Giants. Love both eras and I have no problem with Perry getting a statue.