Expectations

Posted in Uncategorized by Flavor on August 15, 2016

I can’t bring myself to discuss yesterday’s disgusting blow game. And to be clear, that’s what it was. You can’t put the whole thing on Casilla. We stopped scoring in the 5th, Strickland sucked. Casilla had nothing yesterday. It happens.

And still, we are 1 game up in the NL. How could this be? Without citing numbers (you guys all know what the numbers are) I decided to go through each position on the team and see if that position is meeting, exceeding or failing to meet pre-season expectations.

LF: EXCEEDING. Pagan has been better than I thought he was going to be.

CF: FAILING TO MEET. Span has way too many games where he does absolutely nothing.

RF: FAILING TO MEET. Not really Pence’s fault because of injury, but I expected more production out of RF this year.

3rd Base: FAILING TO MEET. Whether it was Duffie or Nunie, 3rd base has not been good this year. Although that’s not really fair to Nunie who has had the significantly better overall year. He needs to get it going here though.

SS: EXCEEDING EXPECTATIONS. Crawford has been brilliant.

2nd Base: FAILING TO MEET. Again, partly because of injury, but even when he’s been playing he hasn’t been as good as I had expected.

1st Base: I’ll go with MEETING EXPECTATIONS just because Belt has been pretty bad since the end of June.

Catcher: MEETING EXPECTATIONS. Buster is Buster. I’d like to see more for all that dough but  nobody seems to have a problem with him so I’ll go with “MEETING.”

SP: FAILING TO MEET. Not by a lot. But I expected more from Smarge and thought either Peavy or Cain would rise from the ashes. Bum has been great and Moore is who I thought he was. But still, Cueto and Smarge and Cain are 60% of the rotation and they have not been reliable, collectively, at any point this season.

RP: the only guy I trust out of our bullpen is Derek Law. That’s it. That’s not good.

“FAILING TO MEET” led my list. And yet…..

still in first place. What to make of that?

1. alleykat69 said, on August 15, 2016 at 9:36 pm

Fuck are BP Sucks donkey dick!!
    And fucking Krukow saying :Well Romo has a base to play with at second is BS with are pen!!!

2. snarkk said, on August 15, 2016 at 9:38 pm

How many fans are at this game? I’m listening on radio, I’ve heard more fan action at a Chamber Music concert…

3. alleykat69 said, on August 15, 2016 at 9:39 pm

Another Doofus fan!!!
    All the fans as he’s going up the aisle should pelter this jerk with beer& peanuts!!

4. blade3colorado said, on August 15, 2016 at 9:40 pm

How embarrassing for that fan. Me? I go in the Witness Protection Program (especially if that was a playoff game).

• alleykat69 said, on August 15, 2016 at 9:47 pm

Steve Bartman is still in the witness protection program Blade…

• blade3colorado said, on August 15, 2016 at 9:49 pm

I don’t doubt it. Chicago fans were pissed off after what he did. I think they booed Santa Claus too. Oh wait, that was Philadelphia fans. lulz

5. snarkk said, on August 15, 2016 at 9:47 pm

Is it official that the Giants suck? I mean, if your team still is in first in the division, as a fan can you still claim your team sucks? Because, this one for the past month shows all the features of a team that sucks. It’s amazing this team is still in first place. A division absolutely ripe for the taking — the Giants are like a dude who’s only got $18 in a $20 whorehouse with a stingy madam. Maybe it will all come together with some found change on Sept 1…

• blade3colorado said, on August 15, 2016 at 9:51 pm

CHECK UNDER THE COUCH CUSHIONS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

• blade3colorado said, on August 15, 2016 at 9:51 pm

. . . AND THE SODA MACHINES!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

6. unca_chuck said, on August 15, 2016 at 9:48 pm

Jesus. I thought we were supposed to get better when the injured players came back. Every aspect of this team is sucking hard.

I know Bochy isn’t one to do anything rash but Kelly has to be removed from 3rd base. He has cost us a shitload of runs. The players are geeked.

Romo did all he could and thanks to the fan we’re only down 3. Bad luck on the McCutcheon hit.

7. unca_chuck said, on August 15, 2016 at 9:50 pm

Shit, the fan kept a run off the board. He did better than Kontos.

• snarkk said, on August 15, 2016 at 9:52 pm

Problem is, the next idiot will interfere with a run for the Giants…

8. djloo27 said, on August 15, 2016 at 9:50 pm

Someone should tell Kuip that the Pirate pitcher is not Bastardo…

9. PaulinAsia Banh Bao said, on August 15, 2016 at 9:53 pm

I still think the pieces are here on this team, but they just haven’t glued everything together. Not sure why, a bit puzzling. Haha.

10. djloo27 said, on August 15, 2016 at 9:53 pm

Does Kuip think that’s Al McBean warming up in the bullpen?

• snarkk said, on August 15, 2016 at 9:57 pm

Kuip and Miller are slowly losing their edge. Still good, but they’ve been mixing stuff up and blowing calls and mis-IDing players for a couple of years now…

• djloo27 said, on August 15, 2016 at 10:03 pm

Right on cue…

11. unca_chuck said, on August 15, 2016 at 9:54 pm

9-18 sucks no matter how you cut it.

12. unca_chuck said, on August 15, 2016 at 9:55 pm

Fuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuck!

13. unca_chuck said, on August 15, 2016 at 9:57 pm

That’s inexcusable. The ball popped 10’in the air.

14. unca_chuck said, on August 15, 2016 at 9:59 pm

Kaitlin Jenner is pitching now?

• snarkk said, on August 15, 2016 at 10:03 pm

The Kardashians are on the DL with knee contusions…

15. djloo27 said, on August 15, 2016 at 10:02 pm

Jaso looks like one of the Manson girls…

16. unca_chuck said, on August 15, 2016 at 10:02 pm

What I find amazing is the the only inning we didn’t have base runners is the inning we hit 2 homers.

17. PaulinAsia Banh Bao said, on August 15, 2016 at 10:03 pm

If I was more tech savvy, I’d go back and find some of the lineups we were putting on the field during the *winning days* of May, June… Which key pieces were performing who are no longer in the lineup? Parker must be one of them….

• snarkk said, on August 15, 2016 at 10:13 pm

July 6 vs. Rockies
      Giants won 5-1
      1. Angel Pagan (S) CF
      2. Grant Green (R) 2B
      3. Brandon Belt (L) 1B
      4. Buster Posey (R) C
      5. Brandon Crawford (L) SS
      6. Mac Williamson (R) RF
      7. Ruben Tejada (R) 3B
      8. Jarrett Parker (L) LF
      9. Johnny Cueto (R)

18. blade3colorado said, on August 15, 2016 at 10:03 pm

OMG! That’s it . . . hitting the sack. Pfffttt!

19. unca_chuck said, on August 15, 2016 at 10:04 pm

Aaaaaaaaaand pffffffffffffffffffffffffffffft.

20. alleykat69 said, on August 15, 2016 at 10:04 pm

Another highlight reel play by another team against us!! Just a daily event now.. Fuuuuuckkkk

21. snarkk said, on August 15, 2016 at 10:05 pm

Wow, the baseball gods are definitely PO’d at the Giants these days…

22. unca_chuck said, on August 15, 2016 at 10:05 pm

9-19 . .. . . .

23. wilcojoe said, on August 15, 2016 at 10:07 pm

Jon Miller totally blew that Nunez AB. Made it sound like it was hit, instead it’s caught. Even our broadcasters are sucking.

24. alleykat69 said, on August 15, 2016 at 10:13 pm

Really starting to despise this Smith guy..

• snarkk said, on August 15, 2016 at 10:21 pm

So far, Evans would have done better trading for a truckload of Old Milwaukie…

25. PaulinAsia Banh Bao said, on August 15, 2016 at 10:15 pm

Tom, thanks for posting that lineup from early July (response to my 10:03). I’d forgotten about Green and Tejada, don’t really miss them…. but Parker and Mac W. did seem to inject some life into the lineup now and then….

• snarkk said, on August 15, 2016 at 10:25 pm

Pena help out for a while, then cooled off…

26. unca_chuck said, on August 15, 2016 at 10:21 pm

What the bloody fuck? Safe, aaaand out.

27. zumiee said, on August 15, 2016 at 10:26 pm

Krukow with the endless pumping up of Peavy. It’s just endless.

• snarkk said, on August 15, 2016 at 10:28 pm

The bigger the contract…

28. eddacker said, on August 15, 2016 at 10:32 pm

this has probably been already mentioned:
    Jes_s F_ckin _hrist!
    And that should have been all caps because this is proving to be not just a frustrating run of games for a fan like me, but freaking, ‘I just got picked up by the hottest girl in the club and I feel the herpes flaring up’ kind of frustration. hard on frustration. fully, amazingly frustration.

Go Gigantes!

29. zumiee said, on August 15, 2016 at 10:32 pm

Smardj against the Pirates lineup tomorrow. That has fun written all over it.

30. PaulinAsia Banh Bao said, on August 15, 2016 at 10:39 pm

Hey, it says you could be watching the Flying Squirrels game in Reading, PA on MiLB network. Didn’t even know there was such a thing. Sam Coonrod is pitching for Richmond. Damn, I hope he makes it to the bigs, great name.

31. snarkk said, on August 15, 2016 at 10:42 pm

Rally in progress?…
    Hey,this team ain’t got no quit in it.
    Not sure what it DOES have in it, but it ain’t quit…

32. snarkk said, on August 15, 2016 at 10:42 pm

Nunie HR ties this puppy.
    Come on Nunie!…

• snarkk said, on August 15, 2016 at 10:43 pm

Or, a ground out to end it…

33. snarkk said, on August 15, 2016 at 10:44 pm

The Good News — Vogey wins!
    The Bad News — oh yeah, he’s not a Giant anymore…

34. eddacker said, on August 15, 2016 at 10:52 pm

I think if I had a number on what the next batter did when the gmen have 2 on and 2 out it would be an outlier compared to other teams. It seems like that situation has been death valley for us.

And tonight has shown why the flap nation has low expectations for Belt. He goes 3 fer tonight and the one hit he didn’t get was with two on when we needed it. 3 hits = 1 run, a hit that could have been a game changer is not made. Next, he is on base and there are two wild pitches and he never advances.

Again, Nunez hits a smash headed to the alley, with two on and we need it, and mccutchen makes a diving,. sliding catch to end the inning. Meanwhile, the aforementioned center fielder has 2 hits, both bloops that fall and each scores a run.

And that has been the season I have been experiencing since the AS break. A smash to the alley by us – nothing. A bloop to right by them – a run scores.

• snarkk said, on August 15, 2016 at 10:54 pm

As they say edd, “that’s baseball”…

• eddacker said, on August 15, 2016 at 11:02 pm

They also say “after 162 games the breaks equal out.” So either we had one boat load of breaks before the AS game or we have a few in the bank for September/October. WOOP!

35. snarkk said, on August 15, 2016 at 10:54 pm

This game was apparently so bad, Miller isn’t even hanging around to do the post-game radio wrap…

36. unca_chuck said, on August 15, 2016 at 11:00 pm

Half that shit is wrong, Ed but twhatever. To pick Belt out from all of them failing all over the place is a bit disingenuous. Moore and the pitchers blew this. Sure they made base running mistakes and didn’t get timely hits and when they did they still didn’t score but you give up 8 you lose.

• eddacker said, on August 15, 2016 at 11:31 pm

You are right and I was not singling him out for this game. I was seeing what he did in this game as a summary of why so many flappers get frustrated with Belt. Me not being one of them. Until now I have seen the defense, hits, walks and his game as great. But when viewed with a certain perspective it can be seen as not very nice.

As to why we are losing so much this August? It is because at least one of the parts (and often more) has failed. It is just a frustrating time and I cannot wait for it to end.

• unca_chuck said, on August 16, 2016 at 6:59 am

Yeah I know. This is maddening and seemingly has no end.

37. zumiee said, on August 15, 2016 at 11:05 pm

Still in first place!

• snarkk said, on August 15, 2016 at 11:11 pm

Do these things burn down and blow up?…

• eddacker said, on August 15, 2016 at 11:33 pm

shine on crazy diamond 🙂

38. mrsprtdude said, on August 16, 2016 at 5:51 am

Morning Flappers. The Nunez vs mccutchen comparison brilliant. Teams that are sucking somehow catch fewer breaks..