Trying to Light a Fire Without a Match

Posted in Uncategorized by Flavor on August 22, 2016

If you haven’t seen the Legends trilogy (the interviews were started after WS#1 and kept going until after WS#3) you should check it out. One thing I noticed was that each year there was someone(s) providing excitement and energy— Huff, Torres, Pat the Bat,  Uribe, Scutaro, Pence, Pagan, Panda, Ross, Juan Perez, Morse etc… the list is long.

I know most of that video series related to the post season and that, by nature, is going to contain and generate energy. But when I watch this team this year I am not seeing any energy. I’m watching a collection of guys who are trying to be professional and stoic and trying not to panic. But I’m not seeing any energy or excitement. Even in the list above, there are 2 guys on it who used to be an energetic shot to the team (Pagan and Pence) but I’m not getting that from them this season.

Overreacting? Possibly. I’m not sure how much energy any team has in the middle of August. But it just feels like there is no magic in this season. It feels empty.

Maybe the series vs The Dodgers will get us going…..

1. gianthead said, on August 22, 2016 at 6:11 am

I agree and noted last week that the only real vocal leader on the entire team is Pence and maybe that chick is literally sucking the leadership out of him…if you know what I mean…Posey or Bum or never going to be vocal leaders nor will Belt or Bum. One of the other reasons I like McCuthchen…I think if he were here he has that intangible leadership veteran quality and would be the team leader.

• Flavor said, on August 22, 2016 at 6:21 am

aside from a tired Pagan salute, and he looks less into that than even those lame Braves fans still doing their chop, I don’t see anyone doing anything to celebrate or jazz up the team. Again, maybe this is just circumstantial. We’ve won 3, it’s August, finding a sense of urgency is tough. But time is of the essence.

2. dirtnrocksnomo said, on August 22, 2016 at 7:54 am

Having watched the Legends trilogy over the weekend I thought it was pretty good. This year’s team is so workmanlike and dull in comparison to those clubs. The team is now a mirror image of Posey and pretty boring really. Where’s the beard or thong? How about some gladiator helmets? I’m sure our local scribes would be all over that shit if they weren’t so busy banning their followers on The Twitter.

I mentioned at the start of the season that I thought this club was missing something.There’s no straw that stirs that drink. No Uribe/Huff/Torres or Pagan/Pence as you mention in the lead. I suspect it won’t be Parker joining the big club that leads to glory.

3. willedav said, on August 22, 2016 at 8:00 am

The energy guys flamed out rather quickly tho. Torres, Burrell, Uribe, Scut, Huff–pretty much just one year wonders for SF, Morse too.
    I’d rather have the steady day to day guys like Posey, Crawford and Bum. They can beat you in different ways and show up and compete, leading by example without jumping up and down. More of those types you have, the better.

4. Flavor said, on August 22, 2016 at 8:00 am

Did that Olympic gold medal in bball doing anything for anyone? We beat Serbia by 30? That’s like the Warriors beating the worst team in the NBA except they get a silver medal for getting their ass handed to them.

• willedav said, on August 22, 2016 at 8:10 am

Didn’t watch any of it, but great to see Durant dominated. Interesting to see what carries over for individuals to their respective teams–DeAndre Jordan, Durant Klay Green (who played very little), DMC who was a force out there, Paul George.
      Maybe DMC gets some insight as to how real superstars act out there and do what it takes to win. Or he continues to be frustrating selfish and uncoachable surrounded by Kings group.
      No one is beating a collection of the better stars of the NBA from America, and anyone could have coached that group and had same results as Coach K.

• Macdog said, on August 22, 2016 at 8:43 am

I watched a fair amount of the Olympics — but not the hoops, which held zero interest for me. I probably haven’t watched Olympic basketball since the college guys played in ’88, when clueless John Thompson ruined it forever and the U.S. felt the need to get the pros in there to reassert our dominance. It’s ridiculous, we know we have the best players. I’d much rather see college guys playing, even if it means finishing out of a medal.

• gianthead said, on August 22, 2016 at 3:29 pm

Too bad Puig is not around…that Turner guy bugs me….oh yeah they have Utley and Bum is the perfect guy to throw one tight..

• gianthead said, on August 22, 2016 at 3:30 pm

Completely agree about the college bball players or even DLeaguers

5. unca_chuck said, on August 22, 2016 at 8:05 am

Yeah, these are the dog days of summer. I’d imagine that the season is a grind of epic proportions. Yeah, it’s a kid’s game, but the amount of games has to be mind-numbing. Can they right this ship? Sure. Will they?

Dunno. They certainly have the pitching. Bum and Johnny are going to be nails down the stretch. Whether they are enough remains to be seen.

The maddening thing is was and will be Bochy’s stubborn management style. Rare is the idea of manufacturing runs, or moving guys out who are struggling. Pagan is hurt again, so I guess this means that he will fester in limbo while we are a roster spot short. They retro his DL time and lose a bat they could have called up all to assuage Pagan and his brittle nature.

And as far as the scribes go, yeah, they should be asking these questions.

• chipower9 said, on August 22, 2016 at 3:24 pm

Pagan has a mile muscle pull and is day to day…

6. unca_chuck said, on August 22, 2016 at 8:22 am

I just think the Parker needs to be here before Sept 1 so he would be included in the postseason roster. DL Pagan and call up Parker.

Anything would be a help. I mean certainly they have to feel that Blanco isn’t going to go nuts with his latest opportunity.

• djloo27 said, on August 22, 2016 at 1:30 pm

He’s already eligible, Chuck – he’s been here.
      Remember they could’ve activated Melky for the PS back in 2012 if they wanted to…

7. unca_chuck said, on August 22, 2016 at 8:32 am

I saw some of the basketball, and the Europeans/South Americans play a much different game than the US style. So it was kind of interesting to see how they played it. Draymond was pretty much shut down, Barnes was a non-entity, Thompson had a lot of off days, and even KD wasn’t all that great. Til yesterday. Kyle Lowry? Jimmy Butler? De Roazan? DeAndre Jordan? They didn’t do too much.

But it didn’t really mean anything as the size of the US team took out all of any opponents going inside. It became a 3 point shooting contest.

8. unca_chuck said, on August 22, 2016 at 8:34 am

Willie, Cousins has been there before. He was part of the 2014 WBC team. He just needs a coach that can use what he brings rather that try to make him a runner/3 point shoooter. Karl wasted his talent.

9. willedav said, on August 22, 2016 at 8:36 am

Read through end of last thread, wow great stuff and a Twin post.
    Serious trolls on Baggs blog too; one guy calls Bochy Melonhead regularly.

Baggs was the guy Giants boycotted after something about Pagan, right?

Funny that in the Sabes podcast he mentioned scoring 4 runs (Twin’s mantra was 4.3) and having enough pitching to hold other team to less. He really wanted to see Giants win individual series, which hasn’t happened—hope they can start with this one vs. Opie less Dodgers.

• zumiee said, on August 22, 2016 at 9:32 am

Baggs accurately reported that Romo and Dunston had some kind of fight in the clubhouse. Romo had a scratch on his face, that might be a scar still. Pagan was a leader in getting the team to boycott Baggs in retaliation for him breaking the story. I doubt that all the players really wanted to do that boycott, but they did it in the name of team unity. It ruined Baggs’ ability to get interviews (he was a Comcast TV guy at the time), and it cost Baggs his Comcast job, which, IMO, wasn’t the worst result in the world. Baggs’ writing had languished on the awful Comcast website, with its huge amount of pop-up ads. Baggs is back to doing what he does best: focus on his writing. I’m assuming the players lifted the boycott eventually; and I’m guessing Baggs has kind of backed off a bit on some of the tougher questions, although he is still far superior to Schulman and Pavlovic (who got Baggs’ TV gig.)

10. wilcojoe said, on August 22, 2016 at 9:01 am

You can’t start a fire without a spark
    This guns for hire
    Even if we’re just dancing in the dark

• dirtnrocksnomo said, on August 22, 2016 at 9:14 am

lulz

• Flavor said, on August 22, 2016 at 9:49 am

Gold

• chipower9 said, on August 22, 2016 at 3:38 pm

Platinum…

Grand Salami – bottom of the 9th, down 3, 2 out, full count..

11. unca_chuck said, on August 22, 2016 at 10:07 am

Mac, listening to the b-ball coverage the other day, the announcers made it sound like FIBA was leading the charge to convince NBA players to play in the Olympics. I sure don’t remember it that way. I thought it was the USOC that drove it.

Didn’t hockey change around that time as well?

I really wanted to score one of those Lithuanian Grateful Dead Olympic basketball t-shirts, though. Those were the coolest.

12. twinfan1 said, on August 22, 2016 at 10:12 am

Top 5 things not to say if you expect to be elected to the Flap Hall of Fame.

-“Come on, guys. The Dodgers are not a bad group, we should lay off a little….”
    -“Get over him. Duffy was a sunken chested ,slap hitting little twerp”
    -“Still piling on Uggla? They never gave the guy a fair chance…”
    ” Casilla has just been a little unlucky….”
    -” Amy G. is the best but I really miss Cammie…”

• Flavor said, on August 22, 2016 at 10:22 am

Cammie! I forgot about her. Great to see you, twin.

• sfsarge said, on August 22, 2016 at 12:28 pm

Glad to see you on Twin!

• djloo27 said, on August 22, 2016 at 1:21 pm

Welcome back, Twin! Stay awhile!!!

• chipower9 said, on August 22, 2016 at 3:39 pm

Twin – very cool to see you here. I hope it becomes a regular thing. I miss ya you old cantankerous koot you!

13. alleykat69 said, on August 22, 2016 at 10:51 am

So the Dodgers are trying to giveaway Puig and theirs no takers..
    We all no he’s a dipshit and all, but wtf so is Blanco, fuck make it so unless it he destroys the clubhouse chemistry which is possible the power he could supply if somebody staightens him out would be welcome…

• Flavor said, on August 22, 2016 at 11:27 am

Puig sucks.

• zumiee said, on August 22, 2016 at 11:52 am

It is kind of amazing how bad Puig’s reputation is around MLB. Molly Knight’s book shared several things, but also the word of mouth on Puig must be horrendous.
      Knight’s book said that Kershaw, at one point, went to the Dodgers’ brass and said get rid of Puig. Kershaw has never denied that quote.

14. zumiee said, on August 22, 2016 at 11:54 am

According to Knight’s book, Greinke and Puig came close to a fist-fight at one point.

15. zumiee said, on August 22, 2016 at 11:58 am

The Dodgers also became frustrated with the endless injuries that Puig seems to be getting. Lots of hamstring injuries, but also runs into walls a lot and hurts himself.
    In addition to being an un-coachable buffoon who keeps making the same mistakes.
    But when he connects on a ball and hits it 450 feet….you’d think that at least ONE team would take a chance on him, but apparently not.

• Flavor said, on August 22, 2016 at 12:03 pm

he would be a horrible addition to the team. No way the Giants get him, Bochy would probably quit first.

16. zumiee said, on August 22, 2016 at 12:03 pm

In today’s game, the Dodgers are doing what they do best- pounding bad pitching. Seager is looking like an NL batting champ possibility as a rookie, which puts him into the MVP conversation, in addition to Rookie of the Year.
    Toles and Segedin are scrap-heap acquisitions that are producing. There are no Blancos in the Dodgers lineup. Grandal has a low batting average, but has a lot of HRs.
    Kazmir pitched lousy today. The Dodgers starting pitching is problematic for them. But that’s more of a playoff concern for them than regular season.

• zumiee said, on August 22, 2016 at 12:05 pm

Reddick has been awful for them so far. He didn’t start today’s game. He may find himself battling for playing time. They gave up some decent pitching prospects for him.

17. zumiee said, on August 22, 2016 at 12:07 pm

Bum, Cueto, and Moore had better bring their A-games to Dodger Stadium, or it could get ugly.

18. chipower9 said, on August 22, 2016 at 12:17 pm

Great thread, Flav. I saw one of these last night and loved it, and I agree with you about not seeing the energy this year. I have said to friends that someone needs to stir the pot, the way that Pence did one year, or the way in 2010 that Renteria called a team meeting under the bleachers of Wrigley.

Someone needs to flip the post-game spread or something. There just is a lack of a sense of urgency. They are all saying the right shit, but I am not seeing it. It is time to not only talk-the-talk, but to walk-the-walk. A parade down Market Street hangs in the balance. Time to put up or shut up…

• gianthead said, on August 22, 2016 at 3:22 pm

Chi, maybe that is what Bum could do..just go hog frickin country boy crazy…

19. unca_chuck said, on August 22, 2016 at 12:27 pm

Spread-flipping? Man I don’t know. Really not their style. Especially Bochy. I just wish he’d switch out bad performers faster. And as far as inspiration goes, they KNOW what they are fighting for. They shouldn’t need the rah-rah stuff at this point. Then again maybe they do. A rallying point.

A good fight with the Dodgers wouldn’t hurt.

• djloo27 said, on August 22, 2016 at 1:35 pm

A fight is not a bad idea at all.
      I’m sure you remember the little dust-up 51 years ago today:

• unca_chuck said, on August 22, 2016 at 1:54 pm

All because Koufax was a pussy.

• gianthead said, on August 22, 2016 at 3:21 pm

• chipower9 said, on August 22, 2016 at 3:42 pm

I was just suggesting something to get folks attention. I agree that flipping the spread probably is not happening for this group, but someone needs to set a fire under their collective asses!

20. unca_chuck said, on August 22, 2016 at 12:30 pm

I’m very surprised about Reddick. I thought he’d bring a lot to the Dogs. Throw in the fact Hill is still nursing his boo boo and they are not looking good with this move. It’s still way early, but . . .

• Flavor said, on August 22, 2016 at 1:09 pm

I think Reddick is like a poor man’s Josh Hamilton— situation has to be just right for him to be successful

• unca_chuck said, on August 22, 2016 at 1:29 pm

Yeah I guess. He did pretty well in Boston and Oakland. Maybe he just can’t adjust to NL ball. I think Will Clark had the same problem adjusting to AL pitching back in the day. Although I could be misremembering that.

He was scratched from todays game as well. Jammed middle finger.

• gianthead said, on August 22, 2016 at 3:18 pm

Didn’t Will do pretty well with the Rangers than the Orioles???? I think his knock was he could not stay healthy ala Pagan and play full seasons. But I think he kept up his .300 swing…

• chipower9 said, on August 22, 2016 at 3:47 pm

Just looked-up Clark’s numbers. He hit over .300 every year after he left, except 1999 when he his a paltry .284.

The most games he played in those years 1994-2000 was 149 in 1998. Only one year (1997) did he play in less than 100 games.

21. twinfan1 said, on August 22, 2016 at 1:47 pm

Going into today, the Bums have hit 42 more HRs that we have and yet they have scored 7 fewer runs.So those 42 extra HRs have not produced a better offense than ours. Now,based on runs given up and ERA ,the pitching is almost identical. Defense? We’ve made 9 more errors and have a 2 percentage point higher FP.
    BOTTOM LINE: These are 2 very evenly matched teams. There are just too many factors that might decide who wins the division so we should all say as one- “Let’s get it on”

• gianthead said, on August 22, 2016 at 3:15 pm

Maeda is legit but we should feast on Hill coming off the DL and Anderson….Win two and we are tied..

• chipower9 said, on August 22, 2016 at 3:48 pm

Good point, Michael. I am queuing Marvin Gaye right now…

• djloo27 said, on August 22, 2016 at 4:22 pm

I was always envious of the relationship Marvin Gaye had with his dad…

22. unca_chuck said, on August 22, 2016 at 1:47 pm

Wow. Crazy what you find on the internets. I remember this when it happened, but I had no idea what the other guy went through.

• gianthead said, on August 22, 2016 at 3:13 pm

My San Jose State alum!!!!

• unca_chuck said, on August 22, 2016 at 3:50 pm

Yup. Haven’t see the statue, but they shoulda put the other guy on there as well . . .

• gianthead said, on August 22, 2016 at 5:29 pm

Agreed and have not seen it either…

• blade3colorado said, on August 22, 2016 at 6:56 pm

Awesome story. I agree, put Peter Norman on the statue at SJ State as well. He deserves it.

23. gianthead said, on August 22, 2016 at 3:10 pm

Here is a good trivia question since it is the 51st Anniversary of the Marichal fight with the Fodgers….who is the second Giant that is waving a bar in the air????

• djloo27 said, on August 22, 2016 at 3:12 pm

Tito Fuentes on his 4th day as a major leaguer.
      Now that’s a good teammate!

• gianthead said, on August 22, 2016 at 3:14 pm

Awesome Loo!!!! That is good trivia that was his 4th game…I have a great pic of Tito and me from the ’93 baseball stadium campaign in SJ…

• djloo27 said, on August 22, 2016 at 3:26 pm

Make that 5th day – just double checked.
        I remember watching his ML debut on TV vs. Mets earlier in the week…

• Flavor said, on August 22, 2016 at 5:00 pm

You are incredible

24. zumiee said, on August 22, 2016 at 3:39 pm

Quite a range of scenarios by the end of the Dodgers series, all the way from the Giants being up 2 games or down 4.

25. unca_chuck said, on August 22, 2016 at 3:45 pm

I’m fine with going 2-1. I think Bummie and Cueto get the wins. Moore is still trying to find his way out od shittytown.

26. gianthead said, on August 22, 2016 at 3:46 pm

Tried posting this and it vanished…sorry if appears twice…

I was trying to make a point that with the Olympic interaction between DeMarcus Cousins and Draymond, Klay and Durant and how Curry and company quietly pursued Durant over a span of couple of years through social and international interactions, that the same group may quietly recruit Cousins when he becomes a free agent in two years.

Durant may not be there in two years when Cousins is a free agent, which would make the money part of it not a major issue. But Cousins could also do the cheap one year contract just to get the championship…

27. unca_chuck said, on August 22, 2016 at 3:48 pm

Tito and Chris Speier were so fun to watch back in the day. That 1971 season was my first pennant race, and my first Giant disappointment. Speier was either a rookie in 70 or 71 but he had a great year.

• blade3colorado said, on August 22, 2016 at 5:37 pm

Two favorite players for the reasons you mentioned.

• snarkk said, on August 22, 2016 at 7:01 pm

Rookie in ’71…

28. unca_chuck said, on August 22, 2016 at 4:11 pm

Strasburg back to the DL with elbow tightness.

29. twinfan1 said, on August 22, 2016 at 5:20 pm

On Pagan- I suppose that’s it out of the question that he have his groin removed so he couldn’t strain it again?

• gianthead said, on August 22, 2016 at 5:30 pm

My wife took care of that with me:(

• unca_chuck said, on August 22, 2016 at 5:45 pm

They tried that with Pablo’s wrist bones.

• Flavor said, on August 22, 2016 at 5:50 pm

I’m just happy he hasn’t burst into a half a dozen pieces.

• unca_chuck said, on August 22, 2016 at 6:52 pm

I know the feeling. Spent the last 4 days flat on my back on heavy drugs and booze trying to fix my back.

If Norco and whiskey, 3 chiropractor visits, a shot of toradol ain’t gonna help, I’m not sure what to do.

More whiskey and norco!

• blade3colorado said, on August 22, 2016 at 7:36 pm

Try massage and acupuncture Chuck. Seriously. In fact, after my shoulder surgery and subsequently physical rehab, I unconsciously was favoring my left side during weight lifting sessions and I developed neck and back pain. I would turn my neck to the left and it would literally click. Sort of a dull pain – worse in the morning when I woke up, but progressively better as the day went on. Actually, the damn neck clicking is what annoyed me! Anyway, fast forward almost a year later, I finally saw my GP physician who recommended in order: 1. Massage; 2. acupuncture; and 3. Come back to see her if the latter two did not work – essentially saying that a chiropractor could make things worse.

Two acupuncture sessions later (usually, most treatments take 3 sessions), the clicking and chronic neck/back pain disappeared.

Good luck. A bad back is no fun.

• unca_chuck said, on August 22, 2016 at 8:26 pm

Yeah I’ve been going to a chiropractor for about 30 years now. It helps keep me fairly pain free but when it goes out like this it is agony. And it usually takes a good 6-10 visits over a few weeks to get shit straight. Walking is a challenge and due to where I work it’s 40 minutes of standing on a art and a 15 minute walk after that.

I’ve had more than a few people recently recommend acupuncture as it seems to help faster than what I have been going through, and shit, I work a block from Chinatown, but I’m a little leery of finding some random person to shove needles in me.

Thanks…

• blade3colorado said, on August 22, 2016 at 8:55 pm

Not certain if your health care provider has “alternative treatment” benefits. However, if you have Kaiser, they do and all 3 are covered (massage, acupuncture and chiropractor services). In fact, my Lakewood clinic has an office/treatment rooms for these alternative services, along with all the other traditional western medicine services. I think Kaiser charges $50 for a one hour massage – a fantastic deal, as a traditional sports massage is twice that amount. Same thing with acupuncture. Only better deal I know of is at the Liberty 4 hotel in Vietnam . . . $20 for full all day use of sauna, steam, jacuzzi, cold water immersion tank and then a half hour foot/leg massage; and hour body massage in private room and a happy ending (lol). By the by, that INCLUDES the tip.*

* is it any wonder I keep going back? 🙂

• unca_chuck said, on August 22, 2016 at 9:20 pm

“Hey honey, I’m gonna fly to Viet Nam for some treatment. I’ll be back in a couple weeks.”

Somehow I don’t see that bird flying.

• blade3colorado said, on August 22, 2016 at 9:50 pm

lulz

30. willedav said, on August 22, 2016 at 8:13 pm

Loo has posted at least one if not both of the pix I have seen of Fuentes in the altercation.
    In one, one of the all time classic photos, he has bat extended and ready. Classic take no prisoners.

31. snarkk said, on August 22, 2016 at 8:35 pm

Giants have one overriding goal in this LA series.
    Do NOT get swept. Anything else is acceptable…

• Flavor said, on August 22, 2016 at 8:38 pm

that’s quite a rally cry. Just like this one? I feel like this one was better

• snarkk said, on August 22, 2016 at 8:56 pm

I’m a big “Gladiator’ fan.
        Hellaciously good music score by Hans Zimmer and Lisa Gerrard.
        Whenever I hear “Now we are Free”, I get close to friggin’ crying.
        The only score that really makes me cry is from “Cinema Paradiso”, by Ennio Morricone. He is a genius, he did The Good, The Bad and The Ugly and all the Spaghetti Westerns, plus tons of other movie scores including The Untouchables, and the incredible Once Upon a Time in the West. Never got a competitive Oscar until this past year for Hateful Eight, probably a throw away award because he’s 88. Cinema Paradiso is my favorite movie ever. If you don’t cry your ass off in the last scene, you are not friggin human. I know that scene backwards and forwards, there are no words said in it — and it makes me blubber like a baby every damn time..

• snarkk said, on August 22, 2016 at 9:07 pm

On the Gladiator theme — director was Ridley Scott.
        This dude has a damn track record.
        Alien; Blade Runner, Someone to Watch Over Me, Thelma & Louise, Gladiator, Blackhawk Down, American Gangster, The Martian. Blade Runner, IMO, is one of the greatest Sci-Fi films ever, it was 20 years ahead of its time. Production design is incredible for its era – with a kickass soundtrack by Vangellis…

• snarkk said, on August 22, 2016 at 10:05 pm

This is kick ass movie score by Morricone, in a kick ass western, one of the best ever.
        Henry Fonda as a BAD guy, Claudia Cardinale gorgeous, Bronson as a tough hombre up for vengeance, nastiness all around, what a great flick. I’d give a lot to get that hat on Woody Strode. And, tell me that Jack Elam right off the bat does NOT look like an older, retired-in-Texas scruffy as hell Brandon Belt…

32. Flavor said, on August 22, 2016 at 8:43 pm

Chuck– I am genuinely sorry to hear about the pain you’ve been in. I know this sounds like hindsight, but I went to a chiropractor once in my early 20’s and never went back. Being tall I have always dealt with back shit. But I always thought I knew my back better than a chiropractor. Not saying they aren’t helpful and it obviously depends on what your problem is. But I made a pact with myself then never to go back and, all things considered, I’ve managed it fine on my own. Again, I know your situation is different, I’m sure you have back issues you can’t deal with on your own. But I do not trust back doctors one single fuck…….

• unca_chuck said, on August 22, 2016 at 9:30 pm

My experience with going to an orthopedic doctor almost landed me in jail as I was going to beat the shit out of the doctor who put me in some kind of torture device that was supposed to stretch my neck. Needless to say I didn’t go that route. My biggest problem with my back is I fractured 2 vertebrae and screwed up my neck years ago in a fairly spectacular wipe out skiing. You know how people usually hoot and holler when they see a wild wipe out? All I could see when I opened my eyes was the look on people’s faces on the chair lift was that I had killed myself. I didn’t even know what I had done till I went to a chiropractor about 6 years later and he saw 2 vertebrae that were the wrong shape when they did the x-rays. They were shaped like pie pieces instead of squares.

It really doesn’t bother me that much, and I’ve gone skiing/golf/biking a thousand times since then, but when I do something wrong, like drop a 200 lb garbage can on myself, it gets real bad.

In other words, if there was an Olympics for doing stupid shit, I’d have more medals than, uh, whoever the fuck that swimmer guy is.

33. Flavor said, on August 22, 2016 at 8:45 pm

Chuck I will say another thing about you: I now know 2 major things you have dealt with (shady contractor fucking you, back issue felling you) and I never one time heard anything about it when you were going through it. This place is a safe sounding board for you. I hope you know you can share this shit here, when it’s going down, if you just want to get shit off your chest.

• unca_chuck said, on August 22, 2016 at 9:37 pm

Well, I’m Irish, I don’t want to bore you guys with the wretched birth, miserable childhood, agonizingly painful adolescence, and appallingly vile and degrading death of Miles Coperthwaite, uh, me . . .

This is where I go to get away from that shit!

No, I get it, and thanks a lot, Craig. This is a very cool place, and I’m happy you all put up with my idiocies. Plus, in a couple weeks I’m going to hang out with Blade and Chuck in Sherpa land for a Giants game. Two excellent people I never would have known had it not been for you and this place.

Now excuse me while I have another couple fingers of Woorbridge and slam a couple norcos.

• snarkk said, on August 22, 2016 at 9:48 pm

Now, that’s a combo maybe better than Craw and Panik…

34. willedav said, on August 22, 2016 at 8:53 pm

Nunez has best potential to light explosive spark under the team. He’s made some spectacular defensive plays and offensive ones as well. He could get things going with some flair, maybe jazz hands junior.
    But seriously, if you can’t get up an edge to play the Dodgers, especially after they’ve taken first place away from you, then you don’t belong.

35. zumiee said, on August 22, 2016 at 9:48 pm

There’s no way Pence’s fiancé was diggin’ all those fist bumps the ESPN woman was giving Hunter last night.
    And….what was up with all those fist bumps? Why? It made an annoying in-game interview downright icky.

36. zumiee said, on August 22, 2016 at 10:02 pm

Snarkk, I was watching the Huck Finn movie starring Elijah Wood when he was a child. Good version of the story. And I really liked the musical score a lot. So much so, I checked the credits, for the heck of it, to see who did the score, and I’ll be darned, it was Bill Conti, who famously did the Rocky music. How cool that he’s done other nice work besides Rocky, just not as well-known.

• zumiee said, on August 22, 2016 at 10:09 pm

And some different things stylistically in the Huck Finn film compared to Rocky, which shows Conti’s range.

• snarkk said, on August 22, 2016 at 10:17 pm

I admire the hell out of movie composers. Imagine a classic movie without the music score. It’s not possible. Your iconic Clint winning nod from the end of “GB&E” — the Ecstasy of Gold music by Morricone in that scene makes it incredible, epic and iconic. I have a hard time figuring which Western score is better — GB&E, or Once Upon A Time in the West. I think I have to give the nod to GB&E, but its damned hard to choose…

37. mrsprtdude said, on August 22, 2016 at 11:19 pm

Hey chuck..
    Physical Therapy. Not a quick fix but a longer lasting one. I shake my head when i see…”i’ve been going to my chiropractor for 30 years:…If it was that good why do you have to keep going back if my 1st question. I’m not a hater. They are skilled and reduce acute pain more quickly in some cases then a PT. That said, it becomes the easy way out. A good physical therapy program will improve mobility and stability to help solve the problem long term…Think about it, and If you would like shoot me an email and I can try and locate a good one in your area. I’ve been a board Certified orthopedic PT for 27 years….mwrymer@gmail.com
    Welcome back Michael! good to see your posts again:)

38. unca_chuck said, on August 23, 2016 at 7:13 am

I’ll try anything at this point.