RV’s And Almost NoNo’s

Posted in Uncategorized by Flavor on August 26, 2016

I remember being in my backyard on Tennyson in Palo Alto listening to Scott Garrelts try to finish off a no hitter. I think it was ’88, maybe ’89. He had 2 outs in the 9th and someone hit a ball up the middle, base hit. I fell to my knees and screamed out “you have GOT to be KIDDING me!” It was very “John McEnroe”. Last night wasn’t as desperate. We needed the win most of all and we’ve had enough no hitters since then to make Moore’s near miss not sting too badly.

I really enjoyed last night’s posts. I found this photo of the day me, Steve, Chris and Dave (buddy who ran into Kruk at the store) set sail on our meandering trip around the western US. Wanna say the route was LA, Vegas, Grand Canyon, back to Bay Area. Still best friends with those dudes today. Think this was ’92. Goddamn, I wish there was an “after” pic. Cooter.

1424544_10202725892248085_2069779749_n

1. sandog said, on August 26, 2016 at 7:12 am

Awesome photo!
    I can’t believe I’m the only one devastated by the non no-hitter. Ok, maybe “devastated” is a little strong, but this team needed a reason to cut loose and celebrate a little bit–and that would have been it.

• snarkk said, on August 26, 2016 at 7:23 am

Was I devastated? No. But, when the doink hit landed I did yell the F word in my hotel room…

• sandog said, on August 26, 2016 at 7:25 am

I appreciate that. I yelled “DIVE, fucker!” at the top of my lungs, and tried to immediately post the same thing, but got dropped off the blog site for a few seconds.

• gianthead said, on August 26, 2016 at 8:54 am

Jackson with you Blade..

2. sandog said, on August 26, 2016 at 7:29 am

…and I get it that perhaps historically we haven’t always won 20 out of 25 after after throwing a no-hitter, but you have to look at the context here. We’ve been the WORST team in baseball for 6 weeks after a first half where we had the best record in baseball and a 6 game lead over the Dodgers that we have more than pissed away. You guys have been calling for a spark—a team meeting, flip the spread, tirade from Bochy, animated body language etc…. Personally, I think all of that is bullshit, BUT the players accomplishing something special on the field, I DO think is meaningful and could wake this team up.

3. unca_chuck said, on August 26, 2016 at 7:35 am

Did a rolling batchelor party about 20 years ago where a buddy rented a 35′ motor home and there were 8 of us plus a designated driver (he only smoked).

Loaded the thing up full of supplies. At the first turn getting on to the freeway someone didn’t button the fridge door shut and we lost about 20 beers. After a 2 hour unfuck, we were on our way.

Spent 3 days in Reno. It fairly resembled Fear and Loathing in Las Vegas. Still haven’t seen any pics of that trip. Thank God.

4. willedav said, on August 26, 2016 at 7:59 am

Paul O’Neill break up Scotty’s no no? He was thorn in Giants side while he was with Reds.

Maybe this puts to rest all the hate on Evans for dumping Duffman. giants SPs not named Bum and Cueto have an ERA of almost 5.00. They had to do something. If Moore becomes Dodger killer all the better, considering they’ve beaten Bum last 4 or 5 times out.

• unca_chuck said, on August 26, 2016 at 8:13 am

Moore has looked decent, if not for all the walks. However, this was a great start to build off of.

5. unca_chuck said, on August 26, 2016 at 8:09 am

I think the Braves will be someone to cure our ills, then the dusty snakes.

6. zumiee said, on August 26, 2016 at 8:12 am

I’ll be at tomorrow’s game. Peavy?! Well, I drew the short straw on that one. πŸ™‚

• sandog said, on August 26, 2016 at 8:15 am

This will be a true test of your powers!!

7. willedav said, on August 26, 2016 at 8:24 am

I don’t think I could name 2 Braves besides Freeman and Julio Teheran. As we all know these kind of SPs and players in general seem to haunt Giants. We do have Zum going on Saturday tho, right?
    Cubs go into Latrine this weekend, fresh off sweeping 3 from Pads. This Bud’s for you Norris newly activated call up SP Dodgers are running out there tonight. Last time out he got bombed iirc.

Pence, another issue with legs, is really worrisome. Parker and Mac can’t get here soon enough. Even J Miller admitted G Hernandez has never hit much as mler; everyone hits in Coast League (Puig is at .396 fwiw) so .300 meaningless. This was calling card of all Giants chump OFs like Kieschnick—hit .300 in AAA, .240 at ATT.

8. willedav said, on August 26, 2016 at 8:38 am

Braves do still have Markakis, subject of Flap discussions here for a while. Also the guy from AZ, Inciarte.
    They beat DBax in AZ 3-1 last night as an SP named Matt Wisler threw a 6 inning no hitter himself and allowed 1 run through 8, lowering his ERA to 4.92.

So what would be their VMI coming from AZ (100+ outside) hitters yard to weekend in SF (highs in low 60s during the daytime) with 2 night games at ATT?

• Flavor said, on August 26, 2016 at 8:41 am

I’ll take a look at vMi when I get to my computer and get back to you

• Flavor said, on August 26, 2016 at 9:48 am

as you suspected, Atlanta has the worst VMI on the board for hitters at -9.72. Anything worse than -7.00 is significant.

9. Flavor said, on August 26, 2016 at 8:41 am

Moore was a brilliant pick up for short and long term. We would have absolutely no chance with both peavy and cain in the rotation regularly. Plus, he’s only going to get better a year removed from TJ

10. Macdog said, on August 26, 2016 at 8:50 am

The Garrelts 1-hitter. Same score as last night. Big crowd at the ‘Stick.

11. zumiee said, on August 26, 2016 at 9:09 am

The Braves recently brought up shortstop Dansby Swanson, former #1 pick in the draft, attained from Arizona in the Shelby Miller trade, I think.
    So…..you just know Swanson will get his first major league HR this weekend against the Giants. You know THAT has to happen.
    But the Giants should still sweep anyway. But certainly nothing less than 2 out of 3.

12. gianthead said, on August 26, 2016 at 9:16 am

What a moment to wake up last night…I was drifting off when Crawford made that great play and then the third out being made in the bottom of the 9th.

I take a tinkle and come back and Kruk is speaking about no hitters thrown by opposing pitchers at Fodger Stadium. Now I think I must be dreaming. I rewind the DVR back to the end of the 8th and see the zeroes on the box score. Man what an exciting bottom 9.

I was hoping he would keep throwing off speed and away but oh well. I would have rather had two wins in LA than a no-hitter…

This back thing has been killing me…off to get hopefully a nice prescription this afternoon.

• gianthead said, on August 26, 2016 at 9:26 am

Sorry awakened bottom of the 8th for that third out..damn large fingers that you know what means for the Mrs…

• Flavor said, on August 26, 2016 at 9:49 am

i love that you include when you fall asleep or wake up in nearly every post

• unca_chuck said, on August 26, 2016 at 11:13 am

Sorry to hear that, GH. I finally got through my back problems just yesterday. Things are calming down. Drank a bottle of Makers 46 in about 7 days. Norco and whiskey.

Musta seen this guy like 5-6 times. Never disappointing,

• Lurker John said, on August 26, 2016 at 5:38 pm

Great tune.

13. djloo27 said, on August 26, 2016 at 9:17 am

Is the guy on the right Skippy from Family Ties?

14. gianthead said, on August 26, 2016 at 9:25 am

And was catching up on San Dog’s Harvey RV road trip idea. My boys back home do an annual camp out in North Half Moon Bay that they call Man Kamp. You all can Flap Fest…

Perfect spot off Hwy 1 toward the beach. Large camp site with absolutely no one around and you are maybe 50 yards from the beach. There is a Grove of trees to give good protection from the evening wind. The place is a short walk to one restaurant pub. They usually get 40-50 guys out every year. They put up an entire sound system and you can blast the Van Halen all night and not person will complain.

Half the guys put up tents, another quarter probably sleep in their cars (none of those knuckleheads have thought about an RV) and another quarter bail for the closest motel. But if I recall, everyone kicks in maybe $30 and that covers about 40 Round Table pizzas for the dinner portion. I was so hammered the last Man Kamp that I attended maybe 3 years ago that Round Table (which had not had since college) was the best God damned pizza I think I ever had in my mind at that moment…I think I was a good 8 slices that night…

• sandog said, on August 26, 2016 at 9:42 am

Harvey must visit this place you speak of. Sounds like heaven on earth.

• Flavor said, on August 26, 2016 at 9:50 am

don’t let me down on that HMB trip with Harv.

• gianthead said, on August 26, 2016 at 9:58 am

So fun…I only have the energy to do Man Kamp about once a decade. Don’t see how those guys do it every year…my wife would probably divorce me if I did. But those guys look forward to it every year…

15. Dennis Zucchino said, on August 26, 2016 at 9:42 am

First of all .. nice remembrance pic of you and your true buds…40 years later I’m still enjoying good times with my frat brothers… makes getting old that much easier to deal with… very very special.

As for the Giants, I don’t if I could have had a better high from this team by my going into full unknown of last nights’ win until 10am and turning on MLB … and the results…. quite inspiring…to say the least….
    almost better than sex…almost..
    Could it be anything more of a swing of the pendulum with the Moore and Span and Panik performance?
    Could it be the later than I predicted ‘turning of the worm’?
    Could it be the shot in the arm to the team starters to see their 0-3 #4 do what he did?
    Could it be something maybe getting into the heads of LA as they take on the Cubs now?
    Could it be the emotional drive of the 44k Giant fans tonight that pushes aside anything the Braves can muster?
    Let me enjoy this feeling that last night’s performance is an aligning of the stars for this team.
    Somehow I think every member of the Giants is thinking the same.
    Time for that well deserved shot of whiskey and a salute to the boys’ flag.

GO GIANTS!

• gianthead said, on August 26, 2016 at 9:59 am

Dennis, my above Man Kamp story is all of my fraternity brothers as well…

16. gianthead said, on August 26, 2016 at 10:00 am

I didn’t notice it before Flav, I did not know you hung out with Dwight Clark…

17. Flavor said, on August 26, 2016 at 10:31 am

The dude next to me is Steve, he hates that pic. Thinks it makes him look like he’s got a pare body. Next guy is Chris, he posts here as BirdDog sometimes. He’s the guy who flies down from Portland all the time, the guy who’s son caught Cody Ross’ throw in 2010. And the dude all the way on the end is Dave. You can see Dave today if you scroll back to the July 10th thread and he’s in the pic with Krukow at the grocery store. All 4 of us went to Lewis and Clark together.

• gianthead said, on August 26, 2016 at 12:19 pm

Yes I remember he was the one who ran into Kruk in your Nevada getaway.

18. Flavor said, on August 26, 2016 at 11:31 am

I’m already putting the HMB trip on the calendar next Summer. I just blocked out “Summer” and will adjust accordingly as the dates maturate.

• alleykat69 said, on August 26, 2016 at 11:43 am

I’m in!
      I’ll drive the “Skinkmobile” over to the coast to party with the clan..OOPS that’s not the KKK clan I presume??

• gianthead said, on August 26, 2016 at 12:20 pm

Chia Blade will be a definite…

19. djloo27 said, on August 26, 2016 at 11:41 am

Sounds like “Harvey” is the winner. Does San Dog still have to get approval to make it official?

• gianthead said, on August 26, 2016 at 12:20 pm

I’ve never seen the old movie but Harvey is the imaginary bunny right???

• unca_chuck said, on August 26, 2016 at 1:28 pm

Yup. A Hitchcock film iirc.

• unca_chuck said, on August 26, 2016 at 1:30 pm

Erp. No, I’m thinking of The Trouble with Harry.

• unca_chuck said, on August 26, 2016 at 1:31 pm

Or is it Donnie Darko?

• gianthead said, on August 26, 2016 at 6:27 pm

Chuck..Trouble with Harry is a great great movie. Young Shirley Maclaine…gorgeous…

20. unca_chuck said, on August 26, 2016 at 1:44 pm

I was at that Garrelts game, Mac. Closest I’ve come to seeng a no-hitter live.

My daughter traded her tickets with a friend a couple years ago that turned out to be the Cain perfecto. She’s still mad abou that one.

• sandog said, on August 26, 2016 at 1:57 pm

I turned down tickets to the Dirty Sanchez no hitter because I was anxious to get back to San Dog. We ended up staying overnight in Fresno and went to the Grizzlies game, where Eugenio Velez was batting lead-off. It was a harsh toke when they announced over the PA that Dirty threw a no-hitter.

21. sandog said, on August 26, 2016 at 1:53 pm

My partner (the other partner doesn’t “get” the beauty of giving the RV a name) loves Harvey, so that is looking tough to beat. Dieter is also a finalist. Not only do we like the name, but his name is Darren and mine is Peter, so we got the blend thing going on that one. Freddie is still a dark horse contender as well.
    Tyrone and Rooster were brought forward, but did not advance. Yolanda is also a possibility. We prefer male names, but we met a Yolanda at the bar after consummating the deal, so there is a connection there as well.

• djloo27 said, on August 26, 2016 at 2:02 pm

Isn’t Dieter the name of Pawlie’s buddy who runs Finnerty’s?

• sandog said, on August 26, 2016 at 2:19 pm

That is a point for Dieter.

22. djloo27 said, on August 26, 2016 at 2:07 pm

RV Keen?

• sandog said, on August 26, 2016 at 2:20 pm

…and that is a point for Harvey. And fuck yes, if we go with Harvey, I’m gonna find that card on EBAY and have it up on the wall somewhere.

Harvey Danger?

• djloo27 said, on August 26, 2016 at 2:26 pm

I just changed it to one I like better and actually owned.
        I acquired this card along with Ed Bailey and Bob Hendley in exchange for Dick Bertell and Len Gabrielson.

• sandog said, on August 26, 2016 at 2:28 pm

So awesome.

• sandog said, on August 26, 2016 at 2:21 pm

You swapped out the card already????

• djloo27 said, on August 26, 2016 at 2:28 pm

Yeah, see above…

• sandog said, on August 26, 2016 at 2:43 pm

Just bought the one you had on ebay for $2.51 out the door. If Harvey isn’t the final name, I will send it to you.
        Off to run the scoreboard for high school football for the night, have a good one fellas!

• unca_chuck said, on August 26, 2016 at 3:42 pm

Jesus, were all players in the early 60s IN their early 60s?

23. alleykat69 said, on August 26, 2016 at 2:42 pm

Didn’t the gals in League of their Own sell Harvey Candy Bars?
    Could be good for another vote..

24. zumiee said, on August 26, 2016 at 3:14 pm

Ha! A Harvey Danger reference. Basically a one-hit wonder band. The song was pretty cool. “Flagpole Sitta.”

• zumiee said, on August 26, 2016 at 3:27 pm

By the way, if your only help in a barroom brawl are the guys in this band, then you’re in some serious trouble.

• wilcojoe said, on August 26, 2016 at 3:28 pm

Quite possibly my favorite “one hit wonder” song from the 90’s. Infectious melody and hilarious lyrics. Great tune.

• gianthead said, on August 26, 2016 at 6:32 pm

Zum…Harvey Danger does a kick ass cover of the English Beat’s Save It For Later…

25. Macdog said, on August 26, 2016 at 3:21 pm

A.J. Pollock is back for the D-backs, just in time for next week’s series vs. the Giants.

• zumiee said, on August 26, 2016 at 3:24 pm

We’ve all become resigned over the years to how nothing ever comes easy for the Giants, ever. πŸ™‚
      Hill back in time for the Dodgers series. Cespedes back in time for the Mets series. And on and on….
      It makes us tough!! πŸ™‚

• snarkk said, on August 26, 2016 at 4:06 pm

Dbacks are in total disarray, so naturally they’ll play SF tough. Sports radio chatter here in Phoenix is ripping Dbacks management a collective new one. All sorts of reports about ineptitude, and my buddy LaRussa was in full defense mode. Offseason here could be brutal…

26. unca_chuck said, on August 26, 2016 at 3:44 pm

And in the vein of the 80s, if you missed the 70s, this is what it was all about (if you weren’t into disco)

20 minutes guitar solos, 10 minute drum solos, and heavy guitar face.

27. snarkk said, on August 26, 2016 at 4:29 pm

Interesting article on the life of minor leaguers, a current class action lawsuit against MLB by minor leaguers, including a big portion about Giants farmhands. It’s in the Washington Post. Just google “Baseball’s minor leaguers pursue” and you’ll find it…

• Macdog said, on August 26, 2016 at 5:49 pm

Hey, I see Cal opens the post-Goff era Down Under tonight vs. Hawaii. They gonna cover the 20-point spread?

28. Flavor said, on August 26, 2016 at 5:13 pm

I’m not excited even a little bit about playing Atlanta. Coming off a pretty emotional game I’m worried we are going to be flat as fuck for this….

29. Lurker John said, on August 26, 2016 at 5:32 pm

Scott Garrelts was a good pitcher. I liked him back during his days with the team. 10 years in the majors, all with the Giants. 69-53. Not bad at all. Remarkable how similar the 2 box scores are.

• djloo27 said, on August 26, 2016 at 6:06 pm

Seemed like him and Kelly Downs were always hurting. I think that’s around when they started blaming Roger Craig and the splitter for wrecking arms…

30. djloo27 said, on August 26, 2016 at 6:28 pm

1.CF: Denard Span
    2.LF: Angel Pagan
    3. C: Buster Posey
    4.SS: Brandon Crawford
    5.1B: Brandon Belt
    6.2B: Joe Panik
    7.3B: Conor Gillaspie
    8.RF: Gorkys Hernandez
    9.SP: Jeff Samardzija

• gianthead said, on August 26, 2016 at 6:34 pm

With that lineup, the GIANTS are scoring 10 runs….lulz….WORD!

31. willedav said, on August 26, 2016 at 6:32 pm

Was it last week there was pic of Gorman Thomas up from that funky 70s website?

Kuenn was mgr. of those Brewers right–Harvey’s Wallbangers? Yount Molitor Lezcano Oglivie C Cooper…

32. gianthead said, on August 26, 2016 at 6:35 pm

So Harvey is not a done deal…no love for Freddie Fender Dog?????

• gianthead said, on August 26, 2016 at 6:36 pm

33. willedav said, on August 26, 2016 at 6:37 pm

Mac, Cal will likely be a lot like they have been–capable of exciting offense (lost most all the flashy wideouts) and very suspect D.
    Previews yesterday didn’t look good, lot of new faces in secondary and D-line/lbs.

Fighting Rainbow Warriors aren’t Pac12 level team tho, so just gotta hope they don’t embarrass the league.

• gianthead said, on August 26, 2016 at 6:47 pm

We’ve got a college football…I had to get a better down…went Cal and the under!!!

• willedav said, on August 26, 2016 at 7:02 pm

mm taking the under any game Cal’s in is a gamble. QB is grad transfer from Tex Tech who threw 46 TD last year and is used to running spread and so is new co-ordinator, running game is good. They’ll score points, but might not stop anyone.

• gianthead said, on August 26, 2016 at 7:36 pm

Ok I will take a 59-7 game…

• snarkk said, on August 26, 2016 at 7:41 pm

That’s Sonnys MO, score a ton, give up more…

• Macdog said, on August 26, 2016 at 7:11 pm

Poor Hawaii, after playing in Australia gets to travel to Ann Arbor next week.

34. sfsarge said, on August 26, 2016 at 6:53 pm

Sarge will be in attendance for the festivities this evening.

35. snarkk said, on August 26, 2016 at 7:05 pm

Gorkys Hernandez ? Seriously?…

36. gianthead said, on August 26, 2016 at 7:06 pm

Shout out to San Dog and the best one hit wonder to emerge out of SD and a great song to blast to 11 on the original recorded cut….and a good motto so good for out Giants comeback…Ditch Digger…

37. Flavor said, on August 26, 2016 at 7:12 pm

Was that Star Spangled Banner singer joking? Stanford Professor? He has nothing else to do with his life that was horrible

38. Macdog said, on August 26, 2016 at 7:17 pm

Not a good start for the under…

• gianthead said, on August 26, 2016 at 7:23 pm

I’ll take a 60-0 game…

39. zumiee said, on August 26, 2016 at 7:17 pm

Niners playing, too; busy sports night in the Bay Area.

40. zumiee said, on August 26, 2016 at 7:20 pm

That baserunning gaffe made no sense.

41. gianthead said, on August 26, 2016 at 7:20 pm

Gorkys has no idea how to play in out park..

42. wilcojoe said, on August 26, 2016 at 7:23 pm

That Muhammad of Cal had a nice run for the first score. He was instrumental in helping me win a $500 pot on FanDuel last year, my biggest score to date.

43. snarkk said, on August 26, 2016 at 7:30 pm

What’s the news on Pence?…

• zumiee said, on August 26, 2016 at 7:34 pm

“Mild” hamstring tightness. Could ph tonight. Day to day, so they say.

• zumiee said, on August 26, 2016 at 7:36 pm

The Giants medical staff have got it under control.

• zumiee said, on August 26, 2016 at 7:37 pm

He’s screwed.

• snarkk said, on August 26, 2016 at 7:43 pm

πŸ™

44. zumiee said, on August 26, 2016 at 7:41 pm

Some 2-out conga line action!

45. willedav said, on August 26, 2016 at 7:42 pm

wow couple really nice line drives from Belt and Panik early cushion.

46. Macdog said, on August 26, 2016 at 7:42 pm

Get that Panik bat going!

47. snarkk said, on August 26, 2016 at 7:50 pm

Wait a second — I thought Belt sucked…

• zumiee said, on August 26, 2016 at 7:52 pm

He’s insanely streaky.

• zumiee said, on August 26, 2016 at 7:55 pm

Although James would probably say streakiness isn’t much of a thing. The vast majority of players are streaky.

• zumiee said, on August 26, 2016 at 7:58 pm

I can see that point.

48. Macdog said, on August 26, 2016 at 7:59 pm

This Cal game might hit the over by halftime.

• willedav said, on August 26, 2016 at 8:09 pm

or 30-27.

49. PaulinAsia Banh Bao said, on August 26, 2016 at 8:04 pm

Sabean mentioned a week or so that he just wanted to see some consistency. He’s right about that, this team has seemed to be maddeningly inconsistent from game to game, among individual players, and the team as a whole. I would add that I’d like to see the team be consistently *good* from here on….

50. djloo27 said, on August 26, 2016 at 8:07 pm

Holy fuckin’ shit!

• Lurker John said, on August 26, 2016 at 8:09 pm

What he said!

• willedav said, on August 26, 2016 at 8:10 pm

Pagan crushed that. Braves VMI not looking too good…scoreboard neither.

51. djloo27 said, on August 26, 2016 at 8:11 pm

Stomp the piss out of ’em!

52. djloo27 said, on August 26, 2016 at 8:27 pm

Austin Slater???

53. xoot said, on August 26, 2016 at 8:28 pm

Harvey the RV? I sort of expected a borderland theme. No self-deprecating smileage, rather something lento y suave. Not El Cajon Grande. Hey, how about this: Gigante

54. djloo27 said, on August 26, 2016 at 8:37 pm

Has anybody under 80 ever drank this?

• PaulinAsia Banh Bao said, on August 26, 2016 at 8:41 pm

My Mom still loves that stuff. Nope, she’s 86….

• James said, on August 26, 2016 at 8:46 pm

I’ve enjoyed this over ice in some fine Iittala glassware.

• wilcojoe said, on August 26, 2016 at 8:54 pm

That’s hilarious Loo. My late Italian grandfather used to drink that. Definetly an old man’s drink of choice.

• djloo27 said, on August 26, 2016 at 9:09 pm

I’m lucky I can still get my geezer favorite in most places:

55. zumiee said, on August 26, 2016 at 8:37 pm

Well, the Braves are pretty bad, that’s clear.

56. Lurker John said, on August 26, 2016 at 8:42 pm

2 wins in a row sounds like the winning lottery ticket right about now.

57. zumiee said, on August 26, 2016 at 8:44 pm

Gorkys instead of Parker. Oh well.

58. Lurker John said, on August 26, 2016 at 8:46 pm

Ron Gant is pitching now?

59. Lurker John said, on August 26, 2016 at 8:47 pm

Span has definitely turned the corner. Another clutch knock.

60. PaulinAsia Banh Bao said, on August 26, 2016 at 8:48 pm

Yeah, Zum, I don’t get it either. Did Parker do or say something to piss someone off when he was up with the club before? Has he been the shits in Sacto? He didn’t always perform brilliantly, but he had some games in the field and at-bat that were pretty good. Potential spark any time he comes up.

• djloo27 said, on August 26, 2016 at 8:50 pm

Did you hear Jon Miller raving about red hot 23 y.o. Sacto OF, Austin Slater?

• zumiee said, on August 26, 2016 at 8:52 pm

He’s hitting very well with Sac-town. His power threat in the Giants lineup would be helpful.

• zumiee said, on August 26, 2016 at 8:54 pm

Talking about Williamson.
        I don’t know much about Slater.

• PaulinAsia Banh Bao said, on August 26, 2016 at 8:56 pm

Oh, I thought you were talking about Parker. Austin Slater, gotta love that name. The OFer Who Shagged … Balls? …….. Coonrod too, I want to see that guy as a September call up….

• zumiee said, on August 26, 2016 at 8:59 pm

Yeah, I did mean Parker. I transpose their names all the time. Drives me nuts. πŸ™‚

• James said, on August 26, 2016 at 8:57 pm

I don’t know the rules at all, but I just assumed we’re seeing Maxim Gorkys Park because they want a free September call up for Parker.

61. zumiee said, on August 26, 2016 at 8:57 pm

Cubs’ Heyward is a bigtime rally-killer. What a stiff.

62. Macdog said, on August 26, 2016 at 9:06 pm

They might need some of these runs tomorrow.

63. James said, on August 26, 2016 at 9:10 pm

Why they throw Belt anything other than low and in breaking balls or fastballs up is a mystery to me.

64. djloo27 said, on August 26, 2016 at 9:15 pm

I think in the past few years, blocking balls in the dirt has become the #1 job of the catcher.
    There was a time when it was no higher than #5, IMO…

65. zumiee said, on August 26, 2016 at 9:19 pm

Craw flashing those Gold Glove skills.

• James said, on August 26, 2016 at 9:24 pm

It was not at all obvious he would become such a valuable player after the first couple of years.

66. James said, on August 26, 2016 at 9:20 pm

There are a few reasonable hypothetical formulas you can imagine for salvaging a division title. My current favorite is Smarge and Moore keeping their ERAs under 4.00 for the rest of the season.

• PaulinAsia Banh Bao said, on August 26, 2016 at 9:25 pm

That would be nice. πŸ™‚ I would also add Pence starting to hit consistently from the heart of the lineup.

• djloo27 said, on August 26, 2016 at 9:26 pm

Smarge & Moore
      And pray we score…

67. James said, on August 26, 2016 at 9:42 pm

Wring those hands and sigh
    But know the stats are on our side

68. PaulinAsia Banh Bao said, on August 26, 2016 at 10:08 pm

Nice string of pitching these last 3 games, opponents scoring 1, 0, and 0. Rollin’, rollin’, rollin’… keep them pitches rollin’….

69. djloo27 said, on August 26, 2016 at 10:11 pm

70. PaulinAsia Banh Bao said, on August 26, 2016 at 10:11 pm

Cubbies tie it in the 9th….

71. PaulinAsia Banh Bao said, on August 26, 2016 at 10:12 pm

Hey Loo, glad you’re still here, I feel like I’m talking to myself here. Which I do all the time anyway, so it’s nothing unusual….

• djloo27 said, on August 26, 2016 at 10:25 pm

I think everyone else is watching football, Paul…

72. sandog said, on August 26, 2016 at 10:13 pm

GHead: Nice call on Rocket From the Crypt. Damn right…nice little SD rock band. I saw them live a few times and I bet James has too as he has a little bit of history with the underground SD rock scene back in the day.
    Sarge:Nicely done tonight! Way to bring it home.
    Loo–I like the new pic you have going with your handle. I don’t have to order that card on Ebay, cuz I GOT that card in a binder somewhere in my house right now.
    The Harvery’s Wallbangers reference has me thinking “Sixto” might not be a bad name for the RV. It has a latin flavor that will play well south of the border, plus I saw Sixto Lezcano play minor league ball for the Sacramento Solons at Hughes Stadium when I was a kid AND he and I share the same birthday. My partner might not go for that one, but I can probably buy exclusive naming rights on the rig for $50—$100 tops.

• James said, on August 26, 2016 at 10:28 pm

Solons . . . . so close to Solano.

Rocket From the Crypt, far too close to the vastly superior and much earlier Rocket From the Tombs: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aBJGBk3mR4o

• djloo27 said, on August 26, 2016 at 10:35 pm

I had to do something for Jim Ray. Hoping he’ll remove the curse…

I told this story on the Splash many years ago. Back in the late 70’s, I was at a club in the city called Adam’s Apple with my future wife. She was quite a looker (among other things) at that time. Anyway a bunch of Milwaukee Brewers were there and they were obviously leering at her. When I came out of the bathroom she was on the dance floor getting dry-humped by none other than my favorite Brewer, Sixto Lezcano…

• snarkk said, on August 26, 2016 at 10:40 pm

Just thnk what would have happened if he had been Sexto…

• djloo27 said, on August 26, 2016 at 10:44 pm

That’s actually what it looked like on the napkin I had him autograph for me…

73. djloo27 said, on August 26, 2016 at 10:23 pm

6-4 Cubs!

74. PaulinAsia Banh Bao said, on August 26, 2016 at 10:23 pm

Cubbies get 2 more in the 10th….

75. Macdog said, on August 26, 2016 at 10:24 pm

Bryant 2-run bomb!

76. PaulinAsia Banh Bao said, on August 26, 2016 at 10:27 pm

Football? In August? …………

77. djloo27 said, on August 26, 2016 at 10:42 pm

Vin says Chapman threw the fastest pitch ever clocked (105 mph) back in 2010 against the “great” Tony Gwynn…

78. PaulinAsia Banh Bao said, on August 26, 2016 at 10:44 pm

yeah, well, let’s see if Chapman can lock down the Cub’s win here….

79. Macdog said, on August 26, 2016 at 10:49 pm

Cubs win! Cubs win!

• zumiee said, on August 26, 2016 at 10:51 pm

• PaulinAsia Banh Bao said, on August 26, 2016 at 10:53 pm

Always happy when Clint can make an appearance.

• zumiee said, on August 26, 2016 at 11:04 pm

Yep!

Paul, I was agreeing with you earlier about Parker. I accidentally wrote Williamson because I manage to mix up those two guy’s names quite a bit.

80. djloo27 said, on August 26, 2016 at 10:50 pm

Rooster ordering seconds…

81. PaulinAsia Banh Bao said, on August 26, 2016 at 10:53 pm

My new official mailing address in the US is about to change to Chippewa Drive. So, I’m going with it’s time for the Giants to continue to chip away….

82. zumiee said, on August 26, 2016 at 11:00 pm

Blanton, Jansen, and Libradore all gave it up for the Dodgers. That’s their big 3.
    Jansen’s 6th blown save. Amazing.

83. zumiee said, on August 26, 2016 at 11:08 pm

Heyward got a big double in the ninth inning. He must have heard me ragging on him. πŸ™‚

84. PaulinAsia Banh Bao said, on August 26, 2016 at 11:13 pm

If the Giants play as we *know* they can, not what our eyes have seen lately, they catch and pass LA easily in September. And yeah, Zum, I’d take Williamson AND Parker both at this point…

• PaulinAsia Banh Bao said, on August 26, 2016 at 11:25 pm

Oh, who am I foolin’, ok, maybe not “easily”…. nothing’s ever easy…..

85. zumiee said, on August 26, 2016 at 11:25 pm

The Dodgers now 0-2 since trading Ellis. That would be cool if that became a “thing.”

• PaulinAsia Banh Bao said, on August 26, 2016 at 11:26 pm

I think it has a lot more potential to be “a thing” for them than trading Duffy was for us…..

• zumiee said, on August 26, 2016 at 11:30 pm

Yeah, I can imagine Ellis bucking up the team with positive encouragement after Kershaw went down, and then he gets traded after they take the division lead. That’s pretty cold.

• Macdog said, on August 26, 2016 at 11:27 pm

Cubs radio announcers said it should’ve been a passed ball on Ruiz that scored the tying run in the 9th.

• djloo27 said, on August 26, 2016 at 11:36 pm

See my 9:15 PM, Mac…

• PaulinAsia Banh Bao said, on August 26, 2016 at 11:41 pm

Yeah, huh, and now LA fans are probably all lamenting that “Ellis would’ve blocked that”…..

• Macdog said, on August 26, 2016 at 11:49 pm

The one Heyward scored on was a bit high and outside, but Ruiz should’ve caught it. I think the wild pitch that got Heyward to third was in the dirt.

86. mrsprtdude said, on August 26, 2016 at 11:52 pm

Trading Ellis definitely gonna be a “thing”!!! Trade a clubhouse fav and Kershaws best friend for an extra hit or two in 5 weeks. Dumb!!

87. mrsprtdude said, on August 26, 2016 at 11:53 pm

Funny how quick the optimism came back! We will be tied by Sunday night. maybe even up one!

• PaulinAsia Banh Bao said, on August 27, 2016 at 12:07 am

It’s up to the players now, with one month left. They marched on a slow drive to hell for 6 weeks, now it’s time to reverse course. And yeah, either we’re suckers to fall for it again, or.. we’re just good, knowledgeable head-nodding Giants fans….. πŸ™‚