No More Freebies

Posted in Uncategorized by Flavor on August 29, 2016

Well, if you believe in slump busters, yesterday’s win was the answer we’ve been searching for. I don’t discount it because it’s the Braves. It’s a major league team that we walloped. And these guys are going to need to be hitting. Have any of you checked out the rest of the schedule? I don’t see a gimmie-game in there. You know San Diego will play us tough so don’t say them. Actually the Padres suck, I’m banking those W’s right now. ๐Ÿ™‚

I didn’t see if Bochy was asked about holding up Gorkey’s. Did any of you read about it? Or was that just another pesky questions the beat writers were afraid to ask?

Arizona, who I want to say has been a beatch for us all year, is in town. Cueto vs Grienke. Probably a coin flip.

Dodgers in Sherpaville…..

1. unca_chuck said, on August 29, 2016 at 7:21 am

We were sitting on the 3rd base line club level and R Kelly completely held up Gorky. I was incredulous.

Other than that we had a great time at the park. Parker was raking and Joe crushed. By the time Nooner mad his play we were sitting 10 rows in front on Kruk and Kuip right behind home plate. Incredible.

Had fun taking the ferry as wellI. Saw a guy wearing a Finnerty’s tshirt so in inimitable flapper fashion I felt the pull to talk to him. Turns out he used to live here and was transferred to NY in 2011 and he went to all the met/giants games on the Finnerty’s bus, and witness the playoff/series games there as well. Except for game 4 against Detroit. He couldn’t leave his apartment due to hurricane Sandy. He transferred back in early 2014. Said if he was interested in blogging about the team to stop by.

• Flavor said, on August 29, 2016 at 7:56 am

awesome. So now we have definitive confirmation that Kelly bungled ANOTHER decision.

2. unca_chuck said, on August 29, 2016 at 7:27 am

One other thing that was fun. Krukow’s 3 kids sang the National Anthem and did a great job of it. When we snuck over to the good seats, Kruk stood up and my wife yelled out “Your kids were awesome!” He got a big kick out of that and his smile was huge. You could tell he was a proud dad. Very cool moment.

3. zumiee said, on August 29, 2016 at 8:17 am

Awesome game report, Chuck. Thanks!

Comcast has been cowardly about showing any replays of what Kelly’s doing. We never get those replays.

4. gianthead said, on August 29, 2016 at 8:39 am

Let’s hope Colorado destroys the Fodgers pitching this week…

5. gianthead said, on August 29, 2016 at 8:43 am

Fill me on this new controversy since I missed most of the game yesterday. Wasn’t Gorkys held up because we had a big lead and no need to rub it in????

• Macdog said, on August 29, 2016 at 8:58 am

That appears to be the case. Giants led 12-3 with runners on first and second and two outs in what was already a 7-run 7th inning when Crawford hit a single to CF, Gorkys probably would’ve scored easily but he was held up. Of course Belt followed with a single and Gorkys scored anyway. This didn’t really bother me a whole lot at the time other than Craw not getting the RBI — it was 12-3 — but the more I think about it . . . maybe if it’s the 8th inning, but it’s still the 7th and the Giants bullpen is less than reliable, so unless there’s some secret agreement going on that the Braves will stop trying to score runs, Gorkys shoudl’ve been sent home on the Craw hit.

• gianthead said, on August 29, 2016 at 9:36 am

I like the better sportsmanship if that was how it played out…we don’t need the Braves trying to throw a high heater to someone like Buster or Bum…

• unca_chuck said, on August 29, 2016 at 9:37 am

Span did get drilled after all this transpired.

• gianthead said, on August 29, 2016 at 1:20 pm

I did catch that but I’m not sure that was intentional. But who knows.

6. willedav said, on August 29, 2016 at 8:45 am

The replay I’d like to see was the one Kemp dove for, which he not only mistimed and misjudged but as he’s lifting his glove up his eyes are on the ground. I think that was Gillaspie’s triple, not sure.

There was the last out Bum got too, and K and K are going on about him striking out “the dangerous Jace Peterson.” Huh? Joc Peterson, OK, but this guy is hitting .259 with handful of HRs, on the worst hitting team in the NL. Freddy Freeman, as he showed, is dangerous—rest of Braves, no.

As Loo mentioned end of thread, WC teams behind SF most all lost—STL, Mets and Marlins. Hopefully Mets/Marlins Cards/Pirates (who also have to play Cubs) beat up on each other.

• gianthead said, on August 29, 2016 at 9:37 am

It definitely was on the Gillaspie triple…very odd play by Kemp. Wonder of the Pads try and waive him this week..

• unca_chuck said, on August 29, 2016 at 9:38 am

Yeah, I missed the Kemp play as nature called. Missed the HR before it too. Wish I woulda seen it. He got booed pretty heavily through the course of the day.

7. dirtnrocksnomo said, on August 29, 2016 at 9:18 am

Chuck, when I was still up in Reno I often traveled to an office in Oakland and would take the ferry from Jack London Square to Giants games. The first couple of times I felt a little rushed leaving the park but otherwise I’ve always enjoyed it and it sounds like you did too.

• zumiee said, on August 29, 2016 at 9:30 am

I’ve got to take the ferry to a game one of these days.

8. unca_chuck said, on August 29, 2016 at 9:42 am

Yeah, there’s only one from Alameda so you have only one shot. Met a family from Reno on the boat (they were talking about the Aces), and she tried to get tickets for the Vallejo ferry 8 days before the game and it was already sold out. We walked up and got tix in Alameda. I think it’s blue and gold, not the SF Ferry. The reason Alameda is nice is you are the last pickup and first drop off . . .

9. James said, on August 29, 2016 at 10:17 am

We’ve taken the Larkspur ferry a couple of times. From Berkeley, the logistics are actually better than Oakland, and the ferry route itself is nicer.

10. PaulinAsia Banh Bao said, on August 29, 2016 at 10:21 am

* Charlie, great stories, always so cool when Flappers share their little intimate and almost karmatic stories.
    * And yeah, if Kelly f-ed up yet again, sheesh, start running this franchise more like a successful business and get rid of poorly performing employees.
    * On the other hand, if it was a “mercy hold”, not wanting to run up the score, cool. What we don’t want is Atlanta playing spoiler in the last month of the season when they play someone the Giants are battling for the playoffs, and they remember a piss-ant move like sending an unnecessary runner home late in a blow-out. Spoilers in September are always interesting matchups. I sometimes wonder how much out-of-it spoiler teams consider trying hard or not trying hard depending on if they’re playing a contending team that they just happen to hate….
    * I’m sorry, but Gorkys? Who? Why the fuck has Parker not been up before now? I still think the Giants are going to make it 4 in 7, but if they don’t, we’ll look back on August as a huge WTF month concerning choices of players on the roster.
    * And finally: really looking forward to a meaningful relevant stretch drive in September. 4-in-7. Just play good baseball, they’ll be fine. Before, leading the division, they just had to play even with LA. Now they must play better than LA. I’m guessing they’ll be able to do that.

11. Flavor said, on August 29, 2016 at 10:31 am

There’s no way in hell it was a mercy hold. Has anyone from the team suggested this or is that just talk show fodder?

• snarkk said, on August 29, 2016 at 10:44 am

I’ve never heard of a “mercy hold” in MLB. It is against the fiber of baseball. Flemm was clearly astounded that Hernandez did not score on the hit, so we’re not raising some eccentric issue here. Since Chuck saw the Kelly hold, it was either the “mercy” thing, which is IMO crazy, or another Fail by Kelly, as called out in real time by a Giants announcer…

12. PaulinAsia Banh Bao said, on August 29, 2016 at 11:31 am

For the record: I personally do not believe that was a “mercy hold”. I made that term up. Just looking for possible explanations. :-p I do believe it was another Kelly fuckup, but, so it goes, seems to be unchangeable. Point being, not sending him ended up not pissing off Atlanta, which is ok by me because they could play spoiler. As could just about every other team the Giants will play the rest of the way. Champion blood wins series from here on out, with respect.

Remember when the Giants knocked the Braves out in the NLDS in 2010, Bobby Cox’s swan song, in Atlanta? And rather than joyfully running around like little kids, SF players and coaches all turned toward the Atlanta dugout, honoring him… A lot of Atlanta fans respect the Giants for that, and remember. I have no problem with that runner not being sent. Especially because he ended up scoring anyway….

I’m still feeling a waiver wire pickup…..

13. unca_chuck said, on August 29, 2016 at 11:42 am

Yeah, I’ve never really heard of anyone not trying to score despite the existing score. It would have been a fairly close play, but one that is rarely held up on. Beyond that, Inciarte was moving to his right to get the ball so he didn’t have the easiest of throws to make.

But again, it was a quibble as we had rolled all over their pen that inning. I was just happy to be sitting behind home plate for a couple innings. . . .

14. zumiee said, on August 29, 2016 at 11:51 am

It was pretty predictable that Kruk and Kuip immediately defended the hold at third. Their first instinct is always to protect the Giants manager and coaches. Once in a great while, they’ll call out a mistake; but it’s pretty rare.
    But as the moment went on, I think Kuip was sort of re-thinking it, when he talked about Crawford losing an RBI, and half-joking about Crawford ending the season with 99 RBIs.

• zumiee said, on August 29, 2016 at 11:54 am

And there have been fights in major league dugouts over this over the years. One this season, I think, where a player was miffed when he lost an RBI because a guy didn’t score when could have pretty easily.
      I think this is one of the reasons there isn’t a “mercy rule” kind of feeling in baseball, as in football. If you give away a teammates’ sure RBI, it’s kind of big deal amongst teammates, sometimes.

• zumiee said, on August 29, 2016 at 11:57 am

I guess we were fortunate Crawford doesn’t seem like the hot-head type.

15. Irish Kevin said, on August 29, 2016 at 11:58 am

The only problem I have with calling this a slump buster is that since the AS break this is the way the games have gone, the Giants either score a lot of runs(granted not 12) but 4-5 runs or the Giants score 0-1. Runs. So if they can start winning those 1 run games they yes this could be this lump buster.

16. unca_chuck said, on August 29, 2016 at 1:04 pm

Bonds and Kent got into a fight over just that. Kent was pissed off that David Bell didn’t score when Kent hit a double and Bell was on 1st. Kent kept yelling at Bell, ad Bonds stepped it and told him to shut the fuck up about it. The fight ensued.

• gianthead said, on August 29, 2016 at 1:29 pm

And one time Bonds was in the right there…that was a huge moment in that year. Because if I remember, Dusty flipped Kent and Bonds in the lineup I think moving Bonds up to 3rd on the order and they went in a frickin tear…that fight woke them up and took them all the way to the Series.

• unca_chuck said, on August 29, 2016 at 1:44 pm

I think Kent was a much bigger asshole in the clubhouse than Bonds ever was.

17. unca_chuck said, on August 29, 2016 at 1:11 pm

Ahhhh, Gene Wilder passed away. One of the funniest guys around . . .

• wilcojoe said, on August 29, 2016 at 1:45 pm

For some strange reason, I thought he died years ago.

• Flavor said, on August 29, 2016 at 3:04 pm

totally with you on that.

18. unca_chuck said, on August 29, 2016 at 1:59 pm

Shit, Mel Brooks is still alive. He’s fricking 90! Something to be said for laughter I suppose

• zumiee said, on August 29, 2016 at 3:37 pm

And Carl Reiner from Brooks’ era is still alive. The show-biz stories those two guys could tell!

• unca_chuck said, on August 29, 2016 at 3:39 pm

Holy shit. He’s 94! George Burns territory.

19. Flavor said, on August 29, 2016 at 3:44 pm

I never got the whole Gene Wilder thing. Just seemed like he made a lot of noise. Never found that funny. But that’s just me.

• zumiee said, on August 29, 2016 at 3:52 pm

I can see that point; but, often, I don’t think he was a straight-forward comic actor. In fact, he was sort of, often, kind of the “straight man” in his films, allowing other comedy actors to play off of him and shine. I think Blazing Saddles was a case where he was just a comic actor only. His performance as Willy Wonka is so superior to Johnny Depp’s, that the Depp film just disappeared, and the Wilder one is the one people would rather see. Another case where a remake was absolutely unnecessary. Just like the recent Ben-hur remake that bombed. The 1959 film with Heston won a bunch of Academy Awards, and is a classic. A remake was unnecessary, and the public had little interest in the remake.

• zumiee said, on August 29, 2016 at 3:59 pm

In his films, Wilder kind of reminds me of Graham Chapman in the Monty Python films, as a kind of troubled main character; although I think Chapman was the superior actor and screen presence.

20. unca_chuck said, on August 29, 2016 at 4:01 pm

Silver Streak is very good. His movies with Richard Pryor are funny.

21. zumiee said, on August 29, 2016 at 4:03 pm

The premise of the story, of kids rotting out their teeth on endless candy, is way out of date; and the scenery and special effects are cheap by today’s standards, but the song is nice, and his performance of it was just right:

22. unca_chuck said, on August 29, 2016 at 4:03 pm

Young Frankenstein is one of the funniest movies around. Blazing Saddles as well. That’s Mel Brooks though. If you don’t like that kind of humor than his acting won’t do anything for you I guess . . .

23. Flavor said, on August 29, 2016 at 4:13 pm

I watched that Pure Imagination scene– just seemed like a bunch of gluttonous Americans stuffing their faces with sugary goodies. Weirded me out actually.The song wasn’t that bad but I don’t even have it on my iPod so….. ๐Ÿ™‚ ๐Ÿ™‚

• zumiee said, on August 29, 2016 at 4:17 pm

Technically, the people are from all over the world, who found a golden ticket with their candy bar; but “all over the world” turned out to be a bunch of white people in this film.

24. unca_chuck said, on August 29, 2016 at 4:29 pm

Zumie, the funny thing is the Johnny Depp movie was much truer to the book. Didn’t help one good god damn, but there you have it. The book was a lot darker than the movie. Roald Dahl was dark and creepy at his best.

25. djloo27 said, on August 29, 2016 at 5:06 pm

For you old wrestling fans, Mr. Fuji also passed on today…

• sfsarge said, on August 29, 2016 at 6:00 pm

I have vague remembrances of Mr. Fuji, but still sad nonetheless. I was such a huge wrestling nut as a kid. Another small part of my childhood that passed on this year. 2016 has been brutal for celebrities passing away.

• djloo27 said, on August 29, 2016 at 6:11 pm

Him and Professor Tanaka were a notorious tag team, Sarge.
        I used to lose my mind from wrestling as a kid…

26. Flavor said, on August 29, 2016 at 6:15 pm

What was the name of that wrestler that San Dawg used to watch on Channel 40? I named a softball team after that dude once and now I can’t remember the name of him. It was epic.

• Flavor said, on August 29, 2016 at 6:48 pm

sorry, fantasy team, not softball. If it had been softball I just coulda asked one of the dudes on the team

27. snarkk said, on August 29, 2016 at 6:20 pm

Kenji Shibuya, Ray Stevens, Pepper Martin were the wrestling dudes around when I grew up. This Mr. Fuji was a bit later on. I went to a wrestling match once as a kid. They pulled their punches so far, and the stuff was so fake, I laughed. Never been into that pro wrestling crap since. I used to go more to semi-pro hockey, like the old Fresno Falcons. That type of hockey was basically a 3-period brawl, with some hockey breaking out once in a while. WAY more real brawling than pro wrestling. I’d stand next to the plexiglass in back of the goals and watch the guys pound each other into the boards, then duke it out. There was guy named Alex McClement for the Falcons that wore black framed glasses with lenses about 1/2 inch thick. The guy would fight if a guy even looked at him crossways, probably because he couldn’t see what the guy was really doing. Fan favorite. All that while I was sucking on a couple of old “Refresho” ice cream bars during the game, probably no more than $.50 cents apiece back then. General admission was probably $2. Ah, nights like that for a kid were pretty close to heaven in those days…

28. zumiee said, on August 29, 2016 at 7:49 pm

The Cardinals are a bunch of relentless zombies.

• Macdog said, on August 29, 2016 at 7:55 pm

The Idiot of the Night goes to Marlins reliever Wittgren for serving one up to Cespedes with two outs in the 10th and Kelly Johnson on deck.

29. gianthead said, on August 29, 2016 at 7:57 pm

Wilder was simply great. Not a pure comic nor ever would be a serious dramatic actor, but he was so good in The Producers. But as a young kid when Willy Wonka came out, besides Mad Mad Mad Mad World, it was one of my fondest childhood memories.

Yeah there were no black or Asian kids, but the point of Dahl’s work was a dark look at the snottiness of Western/white kids and what a foretelling he was giving. Augustus Gloop still cracks me up and then there was Veruca Salt.

I did not realize he co-wrote Young Frankenstein with Brooks and I find that and Blazing Saddles more silly than actually being hilarious, Wilder commands the screen whenever he appears. And the movies with Pryor are better movies. But how many “comics” had his screen presence? He was truly one of the greats.

• gianthead said, on August 29, 2016 at 8:04 pm

And this is my favorite scene from Willy Wonka…I think it does not just show Wonka being on the edge of insanity but kind of reveals the inner fragile Wilder…

• zumiee said, on August 29, 2016 at 8:06 pm

Yeah, amazingly bizarre scene.

• Flavor said, on August 29, 2016 at 8:26 pm

pffftttt, whatever. I watched this movie when I was a kid, don’t really remember much about it. Some chick got super fat and purple, that’s all I remember. This scene was weird as fuck. These people were in nirvana in the scene before while they were stuffing their faces with free candy and then they go on a boat ride where not a single drop of chocolate water even hits them yet they’re freaking out and overreacting about being on a dark boat ride with literally no chance of the boat capsizing. Me, I don’t get it. But maybe that’s just me…..

• zumiee said, on August 29, 2016 at 8:35 pm

You get the sense at the end of the film that Wonka is happy to hand off the chocolate factory to Charlie. The place had slowly chipped away at Wonka over the years.

• Flavor said, on August 29, 2016 at 9:03 pm

well, you and GH have clearly reached a deeper point than I ever got with the movie.

• snarkk said, on August 29, 2016 at 9:10 pm

I like the song Candy Man sung in it near the beginning of the movie in the candy store. Sammy Davis, Jr. shortly after covered it into his only #1 hit in the US…

30. djloo27 said, on August 29, 2016 at 8:01 pm

Mountain Goats up 2-0 top 7…

31. zumiee said, on August 29, 2016 at 8:05 pm

On Tolbert’s show, Baggs admitted that he missed the play where Gorkys held up at third because Baggs was online looking up some stats at that moment.

32. djloo27 said, on August 29, 2016 at 8:20 pm

3-0 Mountain Goats still batting bottom 7th…

33. sandog said, on August 29, 2016 at 8:23 pm

The Great Mephisto!

• Flavor said, on August 29, 2016 at 8:26 pm

thank you. I can now sleep soundly tonight.

34. djloo27 said, on August 29, 2016 at 8:26 pm

5-0

35. zumiee said, on August 29, 2016 at 8:29 pm

Rockies roughed up Liberatore.

36. sandog said, on August 29, 2016 at 8:35 pm

My 91 year old mother is staying with me for the week. My sister flew down from the Bay Area with her this past weekend and I will fly home with her Saturday. Gonna be an interesting week. I have one TV and there is perhaps nobody on the face of the earth who cares less about sports than my mom, so I may be a bit disconnected from the team and blog this week—-though I am sneaking a peak at a great Cubs/Bucs game right now that was started by my son’s friend. My mom is the greatest, but this is a person who grew up about 2 miles from where Candlestick was eventually built, raised 3 boys and was married to a man for 60+ years who was a casual sports fan and NEVER ONE TIME set foot in Candlestick Park, Seals Stadium, or ATT.

• Flavor said, on August 29, 2016 at 8:39 pm

tight quarters. You’re a good son.

• djloo27 said, on August 29, 2016 at 8:50 pm

He’s used to it from the subways…

• zumiee said, on August 29, 2016 at 8:40 pm

What- she didn’t want to watch grown men dressed in pajamas playing a game with a stick and ball? ๐Ÿ™‚

37. Macdog said, on August 29, 2016 at 8:35 pm

6-nil.

38. djloo27 said, on August 29, 2016 at 8:38 pm

and Cubs have tied up Bucs…

39. zumiee said, on August 29, 2016 at 8:46 pm

One of the great protests going on- at a college in the South somewhere that is now allowing guns to be carried on campus, a bunch of women are protesting by carrying big dildos on their belts.

• snarkk said, on August 29, 2016 at 9:06 pm

Do they need a permit to carry those?…

• snarkk said, on August 29, 2016 at 9:07 pm

Walk softly and carry a big dick?…

40. Flavor said, on August 29, 2016 at 9:02 pm

“The Great Mephisto”….I’ve had 2 straight shit days. Maybe being reminded of this guy’s stage name will turn things around for me? Hey, I’m pretty simple this could easily work……

41. zumiee said, on August 29, 2016 at 9:05 pm

Sherpas 8-0!

42. snarkk said, on August 29, 2016 at 9:21 pm

Did we Gyros fans make some sort of Faustian bargain to win 3 in 5? Is there a Mephistopholes that made his way among the Flappers to tempt one with WS banners? Whoever you are, Faustian Flapper, I hope you bargained for more than 3…

43. unca_chuck said, on August 29, 2016 at 9:52 pm

I was ALL about Haystacks Calhoun. And roller derby of course. Those old cow palace days. Funny thing is like 7 years after that, seeing Van Halen open for Black Sabbath. Strange days indeed.

Sorry to hear about your friend, Craig. It stinks to think that late 40s is when shit like this happens.

44. mrsprtdude said, on August 29, 2016 at 11:17 pm

Zumie,

University of Texas I think has passed an ordinance allowing guns, if registered, on campus. An old ordinance makes display of sexual toys illegal. The student started the protest “Cocks before Glocks” because teachers are afraid to teach the right way for fear of angering a student who is packing. Brilliant!

• zumiee said, on August 29, 2016 at 11:48 pm

Thanks, I couldn’t remember which college. I’ve now posted a link.

• wilcojoe said, on August 30, 2016 at 5:41 am

Pretty cool that you posted a story by the Student Newspaper at UT. A lot of good times were spent in that Daily Texan basement.

You will enjoy this little fun fact, Zum. The Austin City Limits tv show was produced in the same building that holds the journalism school at UT. I got to see a lot of cool tour buses parked out front over the years but oddly never ran into any big name acts. I did serve the shows producer (Terry Lickona) at the campus area restaurant where I worked during college.

45. wilcojoe said, on August 30, 2016 at 5:33 am

Yep, pretty proud of the students at my alma mater. Much more creative and meaningful protest than the one put on by a certain 49er.

46. unca_chuck said, on August 30, 2016 at 8:56 pm

Jesus. Cueto was cruising. Now it’s a shit show.