Win Time

Posted in Uncategorized by Flavor on August 30, 2016

While Kaep sits and stares blankly ahead in his bold attempt to end oppression everywhere in America, we now turn our attention back to baseball. I was excited to see AZ with the worst VMI for hitters (by far) so Cueto should handle them no problem. Can we scratch out a few runs off one of our arch nemesis? That is an absolute toss up.

Two more days before *reinforcements* arrive. I always chuckle at that. Kruk loves to talk about *fresh arms* coming but they’ve been pitching all year, too, just in a different place. It gives Bochy more options i guess. But looking to our below average farm system to provide *reinforcements* at this critical juncture in the season is a big *lulz* in my book….

And, just because……

meph

1. willedav said, on August 30, 2016 at 7:32 am

In VMI we trust.

Lot of noise about Kap, including Killion today who does ask legit ? about why he even play the anthem before games but…in an Ostler column yesterday was this one grain of sense (usually about max for Ostler): “A much larger distraction is that Kap has mysteriously lost the ability to QB…”
    Reason alone to dump him for someone who might be able to actually play the position.

Sorry to hear death of Mr. Fuji. would have thought a little more could be said about him in the obit; I’m sure there are better ones out there. Buddies of mine loved that stuff, which was often pretty funny, especially the bad guys and their mgrs.

• willedav said, on August 30, 2016 at 7:38 am

And don’t forget the good folks of Minnesota elected one of them to be governor of their state.

• unca_chuck said, on August 30, 2016 at 8:09 am

Well, he was Navy Seal before that.

2. alleykat69 said, on August 30, 2016 at 8:24 am

Also in Predator..
    Great line .. Dudes dug in deeper then an “Alabama tick”

• unca_chuck said, on August 30, 2016 at 9:04 am

Yeah, he was good in that.

If you haven’t seen ‘They Live’ it’s a pretty good John Carpenter movie with Rowdy Roddy Piper as the lead.

3. unca_chuck said, on August 30, 2016 at 8:26 am

We play the anthem before the game for the same reason we now say ‘under God’ in the Pledge of Alliegance, now have ‘In God We Trust’ on all our money, and even more recently sing ‘God Bless America’ during the 7th inning stretch.

Jingoism. Like weeding out potential presidential candidates by seeing if they are wearing flag pins. Or extremely vetting immigrants. As if the Commies/Radicals couldn’t figure that shit out.

• snarkk said, on August 30, 2016 at 9:14 am

Killion’s article in the Chron may be the only one I’ve considered worth a darn that I’ve read of hers in many years. I totally agree with it. The SSB is along the lines of playing God Bless America in the 7th inning stretch. What are we doing at these games, taking a loyalty oath before having the privilege of watching Span ground one to second, then praying when it’s nearly done? Change the “anthem” to a song like America the Beautiful. Short and sweet, and singable. By most accounts I’ve seen, in Europe they don’t play anthems before regular season soccer games — only at the big playoff games. So, it is a rare deal over there. I don’t know Kaep’s motivations for this action at this specific point in his career, but I think the flag thing is the wrong way to get his point across. Too many things wrapped up in the flag symbol, with many feeling that his actions disrespect the military. I don’t believe that is what he intended at all, but his message is getting blurred out of his control now…

• willedav said, on August 30, 2016 at 9:42 am

Agreed. Most of the time I can’t stand her but I think her point is valid here. Are we still fighting the War of 1812?

Kinda funny to hear all the “if you don’t like it go somewhere else” stuff—reminiscent of VietNam war days.

• chipower9 said, on August 30, 2016 at 2:29 pm

Yes. And all of that shit chaps my ass. 😉

4. Macdog said, on August 30, 2016 at 8:31 am

A little quirk in the upcoming road trip: Giants play four straight day games between Friday and Monday. I hope it’s not too hot in Chicago this weekend.

• Flavor said, on August 30, 2016 at 8:37 am

flip side: not a single Cal or Stanford home game is being played in the day time this season. That is unadulterated bullshit.

• willedav said, on August 30, 2016 at 8:42 am

yeah that’s messed up. Jenkins railed at that last week, the TV slotted scheduling.

• unca_chuck said, on August 30, 2016 at 9:16 am

That’s completely fucked up,. I was planning on taking my son to a Cal game. Did get tix for the Niners/Bucs . . . We’ll see how that goes.

• wilcojoe said, on August 30, 2016 at 9:44 am

I was hoping to take in the Cal-Texas game on 9/17 up there but instead we will be flying home from Disneyland that morning. I have officially beaten my old record of the longest times between visits back home. Haven’t been to the Bay Area since the 2014 World Series.

• willedav said, on August 30, 2016 at 8:38 am

and then go to Sherpaville for another one Labor Day.
      Sabes voiced concern over playing all those 2 series in hitters yards back to back.
      Gotta hope the SPs can hang in there…and not hang too much hittable stuff over the plate and keep ball in the yard..

• unca_chuck said, on August 30, 2016 at 8:39 am

mid 70s in Chi-town . . . Although the humididity is up around 85%.

5. dirtnrocksnomo said, on August 30, 2016 at 8:52 am

I guess I’m surprised that Kaepernick is still getting pub for this. For all we know he’s so dumb he didn’t realize what was going on. Maybe he was so wrapped up in his Beats by Dre ™ that he forgot to stand. At this point he may as well go all out with his efforts at trolling the nation and declare he’s muslim. Then on Thursday, when the anthem is playing, he can stand in prayer a la Mahmoud Abdul-Rauf.

• unca_chuck said, on August 30, 2016 at 9:17 am

Well, it’s working then, isn’t it?

• dirtnrocksnomo said, on August 30, 2016 at 9:32 am

I guess. I tend to agree with your take that it isn’t really a political statement but an effort to get released.

6. dirtnrocksnomo said, on August 30, 2016 at 9:03 am

Baggs with a good column on the Giants’ power outage. Posey in particular is in a “homerless streak of 120 at-bats dating to July 16”. I know there is a lot of talk about how difficult it is to hit HRs at home but I’m pretty sure some of those games were on the road. If Posey is the best hitter on this club and constantly “banged up” because of catching duties then get him out from behind the plate.

Even with his latest 22 game surge putting him at .377 his OPS = .828.
    Everyone’s favorite whipping boy Belt’s OPS = .866

• snarkk said, on August 30, 2016 at 9:19 am

Yeah, the announcers constantly talk about Posey being “banged up”, or similar, but never really say what it is that is bothering him. If at 29 he’s that fragile behind the dish, then get him out of there. We know his OPS is historically over 50 points higher playing 1b, with plenty of ABs at that position to validate the statistical difference…

7. mrsprtdude said, on August 30, 2016 at 9:15 am

Lack of power is hurting us for sure. The whole team has the same issue. That said…I was against moving posey because i think his numbers as a 1B are just ok, and he losses his All star status. Belt moves to left? Then our offense has Brown in for Pagan. A big drop IMO.Tough call when you look at catchers who stay too long like Joe Mauer, who is barely a replacement player now and still has 3 years left on a huge contract

• dirtnrocksnomo said, on August 30, 2016 at 9:22 am

Yeah, I’m familiar with that argument. At 29 Posey is entering his prime years. If moving him to 1b and Belt to LF result in more power because he’s not banged up from the wear and tear of catching then maybe a defense first catcher is digestible. Brown has proven to be a good back up but I don’t think he’s a full time player. Amaris Garcia is well thought of down in the minors but way off. Here’s the upcoming 2017 FA Catchers;

Drew Butera
      Jason Castro
      A.J. Ellis
      Ryan Hanigan
      Nick Hundley
      Jonathan Lucroy
      Wilson Ramos
      David Ross
      Chris Stewart
      Kurt Suzuki
      Josh Thole
      Matt Wieters

• willedav said, on August 30, 2016 at 9:36 am

I just don’t buy the argument that moving Posey to 1b he hits way more HRs/rbis. He could play more games but I don’t see a power surge. If he were in a different yard where he could knock the ball out to RCF/RF OK, but not at ATT. It is possible he can hit more HRs pulling the ball to LF as he is in prime years, but at the affect of his BA.
        He’s an elite C; get more pop into the OF alongside of Span and you can increase slugging pct. of team.

8. James said, on August 30, 2016 at 9:18 am

You’ve probably seen the inevitable contextual pieces like http://edition.cnn.com/2016/08/29/sport/colin-kaepernick-flag-protest-has-history-trnd/

The only thing I’ve learned is that Kap is actually pretty well spoken (no “articulate” from me!) for a football player, at least based on the snippets of the interview I heard.

In a high school civics class, the teacher Mr. Ascheim, who was rumored to be “ex-CIA,” insisted that we do the Pledge before his class, which was not even the first period. I enjoyed sitting for that each and every day.

• snarkk said, on August 30, 2016 at 9:22 am

I believe Kaep’s single syllable previous seasons’ response mode to the media was a direct product of Harbaugh’s influence, if not direct order. No question in my mind…

9. willedav said, on August 30, 2016 at 9:27 am

Posey is hitting .298 and plays the position very well. Yes he hits a lot of singles, but his slugging pct is second on the team only to Belt. Moving him to 1b isn’t going to change that, imo. More pop from Pence plus Mac and Parker being in the LU more often(next year I guess) would do more for Giants power outage.

Brown has never hit much in minors and is currently at .247 with an OPS of .678. My guess if he played more often those numbers drop significantly. This guy is strictly a back up, not an everyday player.

Belt is fine where he is, a guy just coming into his own at the plate and a fine defender.
    As has been pointed out before for all the bombs they hit Dodgers haven’t scored that many more runs than Giants; it’s just a different look. A Giants team that can stay healthy down the stretch would do wonders for the offense.

10. zumiee said, on August 30, 2016 at 9:35 am

The problem I have with the way Kaep is protesting is that he’s kind of ignorant of protest history. One of the things that progressives learned after the Vietnam War protests was: don’t let the other side have the flag. When you aim your protest at the flag, you allow the other side to automatically get the role of ownership of the flag, and can claim they’re somehow more in love with the country, which is baloney. A lot of Texans said they want to secede if Hillary is elected! How do they get to claim they’re more patriotic?!
    The progressive/liberal side realized all of that, eventually, and have been trying for decades to reclaim the flag on their side, by doing things like waving American flags at progressive protests. Kaep is basically making a rookie mistake, and I wish some activists would explain that to him.

11. zumiee said, on August 30, 2016 at 9:38 am

Regarding catchers, they’re ALL getting beat up more than catchers in past generations. All of these batters who are nowadays “grinding out good ABs” and fouling off pitch after pitch and driving up pitch-counts, are just relentlessly hammering catchers with foul balls. It takes its toll.

12. dirtnrocksnomo said, on August 30, 2016 at 9:58 am

Willie, Posey has roughly 100 – 110 plate appearances to go this year with half the HR output of his peak season (12 v 24). Unless he goes on a crazy HR binge over the next two weeks I don’t see him breaking even 18. Watching Posey swing it’s obvious he’s hurt. Bagg plus K&K have mentioned his back issues and or being banged up quite a bit since the AS Break. I think Posey playing 1b would be healthier over the course of the season resulting in a higher average and OPS with at least 25 bombs.

• willedav said, on August 30, 2016 at 10:32 am

I just disagree on the HR totals exploding if he plays 1b. I think James point is valid about him playing 1b in place of Belt and hitting off LHP.
      Pence at 27 HRs (2013?) is the most anyone has hit for Giants in a while. Huff had 26 but again only did it once. I don’t think Posey is the kind of hitter to suddenly blast 25-30 HRs, and if he went into full power mode it would be at the expense of hit BA and OB like what’s become of A Pujols.

I’m sure he’d be in the LU more often and feel better at 1b full time. But for reasons stated above that others have often put out there I don’t think that’s a good move for the team until they can find a good hitting C. Not to mention the hit taken defensively by moving he and Belt.

Even banged up he is still having a dang good season and I think being at C helps him provide leadership to pitching staff that can’t be matched. And of course by going out there every day he leads by example.

• chipower9 said, on August 30, 2016 at 2:33 pm

I am with you, WillieD. Good points. I am NOT a fan of moving Posey to 1B. Fuck, they just signed Belt long-term, and now you want to move him to LF. Fuck that. Go get a legit power-hitting OFer to bring up the team OPS.

• chipower9 said, on August 30, 2016 at 2:34 pm

The other point in all of this is that Posey wants to stay behind the dish.

13. James said, on August 30, 2016 at 9:58 am

If you look at the stats of the very best catchers historically, Posey continues to look very, very good. 3 more 800 plus OPS years are Johnny Bench territory, and not that far-fetched based on Posey’s 2016 performance.

14. James said, on August 30, 2016 at 10:22 am

I’d have no problem sticking Belt in LF, he’d be adequate out there after a spring conversion project. Posey looks good at 1B.

What would likely be gained? Say Posey’s OPS jumps to 900 at 1B (like WillieD, I’m pretty skeptical of this, see above post about Posey’s skewed 1b numbers). That’s 40 points more than Belt right now. What would the drop off be at the catcher position? Very likely, over a 100 points. Which leaves Belt’s mid-800 OPS to make up the difference over Parker? Williamson? Free agent signing?

In the abstract, I’m not seeing a big jump in team run production as a result of this move, and a likely decline in defense at one of the positions where D really matters.

15. unca_chuck said, on August 30, 2016 at 10:32 am

Right. the flip side to all this is how Posey handles pitchers. Which according to them is very good. Posey is decent at 1st but again, the argument always is you weaken 3 defensive positions by making those moves.

16. dirtnrocksnomo said, on August 30, 2016 at 11:04 am

What’s the consensus metric for defense? UZR? If Posey graded out at or above average at 1b is it worth it? Who knows? I find that metric confusing but his career 1b rates = 7.0 which is slightly above average.

Belt is off the charts at 20 so there’s a huge upside to him at 1b. If he didn’t slump his shoulders so much he’d probably be higher.

17. sandog said, on August 30, 2016 at 11:32 am

No way in hell do I want to see Posey at 1B and Belt in LF. Kills the offensive production we get from catcher and hurts the D in both places. Besides, I dig seeing Belt trying to throw out lead runners with reckless abandon ala Cappucino High product Keith Hernandez. And it shouldn’t be that hard for us to find a LF who can hit.
    Visiting 91 year old mother update: I got a talking to for not dusting enough and for my living room looking more like a sporting goods store showroom than a living room. This morning she was talking about cleaning my fridge. This could get ugly.
    RV Update: There is a late push to name the RV “The Great Mephisto.” (How did we not think of this earlier???) My buddy isn’t a huge fan of that suggestion, but talks are ongoing.
    Prediction: It ends up working out like a Auburn Tiger/War Eagle or Virginia Cavalier/Wahoos type deal.
    The official name would be “Harvey,” but those in the know would could also refer to him as “The Great Mephisto” or mayhaps simply “Mephisto.”

• zumiee said, on August 30, 2016 at 11:51 am

Moms are awesome. My 82 year-old mother’s reaction to the Kaepernick controversy? He needs a hair-cut.

• zumiee said, on August 30, 2016 at 11:54 am

My mom is not a fan of the current Jeremiah Johnson mountain-man look of some players in baseball. She particularly dislikes Jayson Werth’s look. She thinks he looks terrible.
        Well, Mom, uh…..he’s not trying to impress 82 year-old women….

• zumiee said, on August 30, 2016 at 12:00 pm

By the way, here’s not one of Werth’s better moments….

• gianthead said, on August 30, 2016 at 3:22 pm

But also what my 17 year old son said…

• djloo27 said, on August 30, 2016 at 1:32 pm

Like Wilt Chamberlain commonly known as “Wilt the Stilt” (which he hated) but “Dipper” to his friends (short for “The Big Dipper”)…

• chipower9 said, on August 30, 2016 at 2:37 pm

What kind of RV? We just had our trailer out for three nights…loved it! Our trailer is named “The Adventure Portal,” or “The Portal” for short.

18. dirtnrocksnomo said, on August 30, 2016 at 11:55 am

For the most part I agree that moving Belt to LF and Posey to C isn’t a good idea. I guess I just find the perception of both players interesting. Posey is great defensively with a good bat and rarely criticized.
    Belt is great defensively with a good bat and glossed a failure by comparison when really he’s a top ten or even top five first baseman depending on the metrics you use. They’re quite similar players really.

• zumiee said, on August 30, 2016 at 12:02 pm

I think a difference is that Posey had the big breakout season in ’12, and Belt just hasn’t had that season yet. I think once he has that, then a lot of the perception will change, IMO.

• zumiee said, on August 30, 2016 at 12:03 pm

I’m not saying Belt has to win an MVP. Just have that season where it doesn’t seem so dramatically streaky, or marred by injury.

• dirtnrocksnomo said, on August 30, 2016 at 12:07 pm

He’s had a pretty good season this year. What would you consider a monster season?

• zumiee said, on August 30, 2016 at 12:14 pm

The ultra-streakiness hurts his image. It’s probably not fair.

19. dirtnrocksnomo said, on August 30, 2016 at 12:27 pm

Well, of the 2 dudes that have smoked the most pole this year at least Panik is stepping it up lately. I wonder if Pence will be in the line up tonight? If not that is what, 5 days rest?

Greinke has turned in a couple of poor performances lately so gotta keep the winning ways going.

20. James said, on August 30, 2016 at 12:41 pm

Will be at the game tonight. I think I am 0-4 this year . . . .

• snarkk said, on August 30, 2016 at 1:29 pm

You’re due…

21. Flavor said, on August 30, 2016 at 12:41 pm

• djloo27 said, on August 30, 2016 at 1:37 pm

In his 1991 AIDS press conference, Magic said something to the effect that he tried to “accommodate” as many women as he could.
      So do I – it can be very stressful…

• unca_chuck said, on August 30, 2016 at 1:40 pm

I bet your hand is tired . . .

• djloo27 said, on August 30, 2016 at 1:45 pm

How ’bout I come out there and wreck your Sherpa-looza?

• unca_chuck said, on August 30, 2016 at 2:58 pm

Come on down, DJ!!

22. snarkk said, on August 30, 2016 at 1:25 pm

No afternoon games this fall at Strawberry Canyon is an abomination. A mid to late October start there at 1 pm is glorious…

• snarkk said, on August 30, 2016 at 1:27 pm

The ambiance, the setting, the spectacle. Not when the Bears go on defense…

• unca_chuck said, on August 30, 2016 at 1:41 pm

Man, I haven’t been to a game there since Gale Gilbert was QB. . . .

23. unca_chuck said, on August 30, 2016 at 1:36 pm

I’m rocking a 2-0 record so far this year. On to Sherpa Land next week. Near as I can tell, the weather will be mid-80s.

• djloo27 said, on August 30, 2016 at 1:38 pm

The rest of us are about 3-10…

• sandog said, on August 30, 2016 at 2:35 pm

I was undefeated before I hit your fair city….

• chipower9 said, on August 30, 2016 at 2:40 pm

I don’t know WTF

• chipower9 said, on August 30, 2016 at 2:42 pm

I don’t know WTF my record is this year, but probably under .500. Charlie – will give you a shout Wednesday night when we get into the Rockpile. Five of the seven folks I am sitting with are Rox fans, so wish me luck.

24. sandog said, on August 30, 2016 at 1:41 pm

My mom caught a look at John Jaso last night and was horrified by his hair. I’m actually a bit horrified by his hair myself.

• alleykat69 said, on August 30, 2016 at 2:51 pm

Hey now Dawg,
      That was my hair length, of course that was in high school 70’s and was a major stoner😎

• sandog said, on August 30, 2016 at 3:10 pm

Lulz! I got no beef with long hair, but those dreds Jaso is rocking freak me out a little bit.

25. djloo27 said, on August 30, 2016 at 1:43 pm

Jim Bouton tells a story about being at some non-sports event with his young son many years ago. When they played the National Anthem, the kid turned to his father and said “Hey Dad, they’re playing the baseball song”…

• unca_chuck said, on August 30, 2016 at 3:00 pm

Yeah, I have some scary hair pics myself. Yeah, I’m gonna be with at least 2 Rockie (Rocky, Rockies?) fans, Chuck. Gonna bring the sombrero . . .

• zumiee said, on August 30, 2016 at 3:12 pm

The sombrero is awesome.

26. gianthead said, on August 30, 2016 at 3:17 pm

What I can’t figure out is why does anyone give a F about what Kaepernick thinks??? I have already voiced my argument that the repetitive playing of the National Anthem waters down the meaning. If I had my choice I would sit during the Anthem, not as a protest but just to rest my ass.

As a kid, we did not go to many Giants games. Was the National Anthem played before every game in the 60s and 70s. I always had the sense that the Anthem was reserved for big moments like the start of the World Series, Super Bowl, etc. Am I wrong about that? Maybe it was just typically watching big games on tv they never bothered to always cover the National Anthem.

But again, who gives a F about what Kaep thinks????

27. unca_chuck said, on August 30, 2016 at 3:33 pm

It’s called initiating a dialog. I don’t agree with how Kappy’s doing this, but I don’t begrudge him the right to protest.

If he had done this when he was representing the 49ers in Super Bowl 48, it would have carried much more impact. Doing it during the preseason while he is fighting for a job looks more like a last-gasp effort on his part. But whatever.

Apparently the Nat’l Anthem became de riguer at sporting events after WWII.

28. unca_chuck said, on August 30, 2016 at 3:34 pm

Is that a maybe for DJ coming to Colo for the game?

• djloo27 said, on August 30, 2016 at 4:56 pm

29. unca_chuck said, on August 30, 2016 at 3:36 pm

GH, it used to be that black athletes were castigated for NOT making a stand against whatever the cause du jour was. Micheal Jordan and Le Bron are a couple recent examples.

• djloo27 said, on August 30, 2016 at 3:40 pm

Usually by Jim Brown…

• gianthead said, on August 30, 2016 at 3:44 pm

Yeah Chuck but that castigation was coming from the black community. I think it is always healthy to have a wider discussion to better society, if that is what Kaep is trying to do why do it that way? It becomes all about him. He could have written an open letter to express his views and then say he would stay in the locker room until the Anthem was over…

• unca_chuck said, on August 30, 2016 at 3:48 pm

Where it comes from doesn’t really matter. The point being there are a lot of athletes making a lot of money who have made stands like this. Sure, there are 100 better ways, but this is what he chose. Me, I think he should give time and money to inner-city shelters and outreach groups that are on the ground DOING things to help. But he did what he did. I know he has some kind of charity that helps kids with heart problems, but beyond that I don;t know too much. It is having some kind of effect, anyway.

30. gianthead said, on August 30, 2016 at 3:40 pm

In regard to Posey as catcher versus 1b…I posted a couple of weeks ago the idea of trading Posey. My buddies back in the Bay think that is crazy but with big money coming his way for a few more years, but they all thought trading Matt Williams was crazy.

Posey wants to catch and I think he has earned the right of playing the position he wants. What teams do you all think would be interested in Posey??? Braves just don’t have the payroll to bring him to Atlanta. Rangers, Indians? Red Sox Yanks? What haul could we get back? We know Angels dont have much in the way of farm system. It would be all about getting Trout, which would seem impossible.

Posey would have to bring back a legit slugging OF, maybe a starting P or closer 2-3 high end prospects…

• gianthead said, on August 30, 2016 at 4:04 pm

Posey makes $22 mill a year for the next 5 year…so potential $110 mill in savings. We are already throwing almost $21 mill away on Cain next year and a $7.5 buyout the following year. On top of that we probably have to give our Bum a huge deal to go in effect beginning in 2 years and I would guess it is going to be in the $250/10 year range….so maybe moving Posey is a smart move in a macro baseball sense of we can add a slugger and starter/closer and 2-3 top prospects…

31. unca_chuck said, on August 30, 2016 at 3:49 pm

The teams that could afford Buster comes down to the Dogs, the Yanks and the Red Sox. There’s way too much to swallow. Much like Evan Longoria there’s just too much owed.

• gianthead said, on August 30, 2016 at 4:14 pm

Sox seem to have the better farm system, but the immediate slugger/starter or closer pieces may not be there for the Sox…do the Rangers have what it would take. I would take Lucroy and that Mazza kid with a legit pitcher thrown in and couple more prospects…

• djloo27 said, on August 30, 2016 at 4:19 pm

Posey seems super into his all around defense this year.
        C’mon GH, he’s not going anywhere ever…

• gianthead said, on August 30, 2016 at 4:26 pm

Sorry the kids name is Nomar Mazzara..but they also have that young slugger and 3b Gallo…and a recently arrested Jeffress, who had been closing for the Brewers this year.

If they gave us Gallo, I would be willing to put Arroyo in that deal.

• gianthead said, on August 30, 2016 at 4:35 pm

So Loo, you would turn down a Gallo or Mazara, Lucroy, Jeffress and 2-3 prospects for Posey and Arroyo?

Would save about $100 mill up or $20 mill a year to add someone like Reddick and maybe further bulking up the pen or a 5th starter…

• gianthead said, on August 30, 2016 at 4:39 pm

We may have to face reality that the longer Posey stays at catcher his production will begin to erode. To grab a potential prime time slugger for a position like 3b that we don’t have a long term replacement for would be very hard not to do if I were GM…

• djloo27 said, on August 30, 2016 at 4:44 pm

I just can’t grasp that there’s any reality to it, GH…

• gianthead said, on August 30, 2016 at 5:01 pm

I am no where near reality Loo:)

Besides Bum (who is clearly untouchable), Posey is our most valuable asset. I think you need to test the market at times and see what is what.

I still pray we go on a run this year. We just need to get into the playoffs. I don’t want to think about not being in the playoffs. But let’s say we don’t or we falter and lose badly in the playoffs?

Don’t we need to assess to bulk our weaknesses, which is primarily the lineup and the pen…

• gianthead said, on August 30, 2016 at 7:26 pm

Hopefully the long rain delay in Colorado will screw up the Fodgers pitching….

32. djloo27 said, on August 30, 2016 at 3:56 pm

Teddy Bridgewater done for the year…

33. dirtnrocksnomo said, on August 30, 2016 at 4:09 pm

CF Span
    LF Pagan
    C Posey
    SS Crawford
    1B Belt
    RF Pence
    2B Panik
    3B Nunez
    P Johnny C

34. djloo27 said, on August 30, 2016 at 4:31 pm

Almost looks like it was pulled out of a hat…

35. mrsprtdude said, on August 30, 2016 at 5:01 pm

Span hitting well recently. Who would have thought both the Brandons would have more offensive value than Pence?

• djloo27 said, on August 30, 2016 at 6:07 pm

In my dreams, Pence and Posey go wild in Wrigley…

36. djloo27 said, on August 30, 2016 at 6:06 pm

Curtis Granderson: 21 HRS / 36 RBI
    That is nuts…

• djloo27 said, on August 30, 2016 at 6:35 pm

22/38

• Flavor said, on August 30, 2016 at 6:56 pm

i wonder what the record is for most bombs/least rbi’s? Makes sense that it would be a leadoff guy but he doesn’t leadoff anymore, does he?

• djloo27 said, on August 30, 2016 at 7:17 pm

Tonight was off the bench. He did leadoff a lot this year, but I think not so much lately…

37. wilcojoe said, on August 30, 2016 at 6:06 pm

Any guesses as to who claimed Puig off of waivers?

• djloo27 said, on August 30, 2016 at 6:36 pm

Satan?

• alleykat69 said, on August 30, 2016 at 6:39 pm

California Penal league..
      Puig’s gonna play with Ricky “Wild Thing” Vaughn.

• zumiee said, on August 30, 2016 at 6:50 pm

The Reds? Dusty takes a chance.

• zumiee said, on August 30, 2016 at 6:51 pm

Oops I meant the Nats.

• zumiee said, on August 30, 2016 at 6:52 pm

I don’t see another manager willing to try it.

• zumiee said, on August 30, 2016 at 6:58 pm

Plug would be a sub/ph in that situation. The Nationals are always laying an egg in the playoffs. They need to keep upgrading that roster.
        But it’s probably not them, and they’ll probably go quietly in the playoffs again.

• zumiee said, on August 30, 2016 at 7:02 pm

Whoever wants to trade for him should get some of their team leaders together and get their input. Puig is a project. High risk/possible high reward. The team would need to be onboard with it.

38. PaulinAsia Banh Bao said, on August 30, 2016 at 7:00 pm

One thing about the Kaepernik thing, which I don’t really care much about, is that there have been calls for the Niners to release the dick because of this. From what I’ve read about the team’s policy, it is encouraged for players to stand during the anthem but not required. So, technically, they couldn’t release him just for this. That would be like a corporation “encouraging” employees to not download porn on the company server but not specifically forbidding it, and then firing someone for doing it. Wouldn’t hold up in court if the employee sued for wrongful dismissal. I’m no lawyer, but… if teams want athletes to be professional and not do something like this, the policies should be more clear.

39. zumiee said, on August 30, 2016 at 7:11 pm

Puig walked all over Mattingly and Roberts. Looking around MLB, what manager would want to take that on? I just keep coming up with Dusty. I can’t see any other manager having a chance to get through to him. I think Bochy would give it a great try and then get fed up with him. Plus the Dodgers wouldn’t trade with the Giants anyway.

40. zumiee said, on August 30, 2016 at 7:14 pm

I think Puig would have to play in a game tomorrow to be eligible for the playoffs for any team besides the Dodgers.

• wilcojoe said, on August 30, 2016 at 7:46 pm

That’s a great point Zum. As you mentioned above, I would be surprised to see a contending team adding him without doing all of their due diligence (i.e. I could see a trade going down in the offseason). Either way we should find out by morning whether or not he is still a Dodger.

41. Flavor said, on August 30, 2016 at 7:16 pm

I’ll tell you this, PUig would get taken 10 times before anyone picks up Kaep once he’s cut…..

42. djloo27 said, on August 30, 2016 at 7:21 pm

D-backs should be tired after cleaning chimneys all day…

• PaulinAsia Banh Bao said, on August 30, 2016 at 7:49 pm

Damn, Loo, I really wish I knew what that meant…. 🙂

• wilcojoe said, on August 30, 2016 at 7:52 pm

Their uni’s look like their covered in soot. Worst uni’s in major league history and it’s not even close, IMO.

• PaulinAsia Banh Bao said, on August 30, 2016 at 7:55 pm

Ah, right, got it… 🙂 You know, on that topic, anyone else dislike the Friday evening orange things the Giants wear? Not real fond of that look. But I love the black uniforms they wear now and then.

• gianthead said, on August 30, 2016 at 7:55 pm

May I sweep your chimney Gov’nor…

43. gianthead said, on August 30, 2016 at 7:27 pm

Hopefully the long rain delay in Colorado will screw up the Fodgers pitching….

44. snarkk said, on August 30, 2016 at 7:56 pm

I’d really like to see SF tattoo Greinke’s ass tonight…

45. pawliekokonuts said, on August 30, 2016 at 8:03 pm

From my vantage point, it is irrelevant WHY Kaep is doing what he is doing. I could care less whether he is protesting minimum wage, rights for billionaires, or non-GMO anti-glutenism. And I’m not saying this to denigrate the important issues he is spotlighting. My point is this: “I prefer the tumult of liberty to the quiet of servitude.“ (Thomas Jefferson.) I value any protest above a mere song. Isn’t that what our soldiers have died for? Isn’t liberty messy and boisterous and filled with loathsome views as well as views we find congenial (because we happen to agree)? I mentioned to my daughter today how I once “protested” the vietnam War by refusing to stand for the national anthem. “But I was drunk. What principles did I have?” At that, she laughed more than she had in a while.

• Flavor said, on August 30, 2016 at 8:13 pm

i appreciate your perspective as always PK. I just disagree with it. I posted something long on facebook last night. If you want, I’ll send it to you. Although you’ve made your point clearly, you probably wouldn’t be interested in it

• pawliekokonuts said, on August 30, 2016 at 8:16 pm

send it to me . . . I’m not passionate either way about the current controversy . . . I expect shallowness and hypocrisy in our public discourse. That’s why I added the part about my being drunk. What right do I have to be sanctmonious about ANYTHING? Send it.

• Flavor said, on August 30, 2016 at 8:35 pm

sent. I mean, we are really talking about 2 different things. Still, read it if you want

46. wilcojoe said, on August 30, 2016 at 8:10 pm

Is Blade around? What the hell is with the weather in Denver? I have been checking the Doppler for the last two hours (DFS purposes) and there is just one tiny cell (albeit a strong one) hovering just over the Denver metro area and it’s not moving or losing strength. I am used to thunderstorms in Texas, but it’s rare to see such a small cell stuck in one spot for so long.

• wilcojoe said, on August 30, 2016 at 8:18 pm

Postponed.

• djloo27 said, on August 30, 2016 at 8:45 pm

• Flavor said, on August 30, 2016 at 8:19 pm

dumb asses just called it right when it stopped raining. Pisses me off— my best team is at 126 with Cueto going and Justin Turner who now gets me shit……

• wilcojoe said, on August 30, 2016 at 8:23 pm

Yep same here, currently sitting at 125 on DK. I had Cueto left along with Sedgin of the Dogs.

• Flavor said, on August 30, 2016 at 8:29 pm

Cueto was a great play tonight with that VMI going for him and I knew he’d be low owned priced so close to Sherzer. Of course, 37 points is gonna be a tough number for him to hit. Waino was my only other good P play tonight. I had Hamels, Tanaka and Norris sink several teams (although Tanaka just got fucked by the delay)

47. snarkk said, on August 30, 2016 at 8:12 pm

Flemm just said after saying that Posey has not had power lately: “As everybody knows, Posey has not been healthy lately”. WTF does that mean?…

• Flavor said, on August 30, 2016 at 8:14 pm

well, he’s missed some time with the back. THat’s documented. Whatever else, who knows. I’m gonna go back and look when he last hit an HR. I’m not watching game right now, maybe they already said it on tv

• Macdog said, on August 30, 2016 at 8:17 pm

Without even looking, I’m pretty sure it was the second game after the All-Star break.

48. Flavor said, on August 30, 2016 at 8:16 pm

July 16th. That is pathetic.

• snarkk said, on August 30, 2016 at 8:22 pm

$20 million and the guy is 6 weeks and counting without an HR…

• Flavor said, on August 30, 2016 at 8:26 pm

I’m going to resist calling him a pussy and just think that the position is a grind and not right for everyone. I would rather see him healthy at first base all year than dealing with all this nagging bullshit all the time

• djloo27 said, on August 30, 2016 at 8:30 pm

He’s no pussy. The guy’s been a fuckin’ piñata back there for 7 years…

• Flavor said, on August 30, 2016 at 8:37 pm

i don’t follow how dinged up other catchers are. There does seem to be more job shares out there on other teams. Maybe that’s what Posey needs. More time at first base with Brown spelling him twice a week

• willedav said, on August 30, 2016 at 8:38 pm

he’s hitting .298 with second best OPS slugging on the entire team.
        I realize he’s not hitting HRs but he is still very valuable.
        And who in the world Cs? Brown is so not an everyday player.

• djloo27 said, on August 30, 2016 at 8:39 pm

Seems like he’s played very little 1B this year compared to last year.
        Obviously, Belt’s status has a lot to do with it…

• Flavor said, on August 30, 2016 at 8:54 pm

Willie– my argument is that he would be more productive if he wasn’t fucking dinged up all the time.

49. djloo27 said, on August 30, 2016 at 8:17 pm

Nice AB by Crawford.
    Delivered the run and ran up the pitch count…

50. PaulinAsia Banh Bao said, on August 30, 2016 at 8:22 pm

Love Crawford, perhaps my favorite Giant on this team. But must say, I never thought I’d see him as cleanup hitter….

51. djloo27 said, on August 30, 2016 at 8:24 pm

The Relentless Zombies win again…

• Macdog said, on August 30, 2016 at 8:28 pm

Mets fans aren’t happy.

52. willedav said, on August 30, 2016 at 8:35 pm

Again, runners on Panik hits the ball in the air into CF. dude, over the fence there at night is not happening.
    Move the runner over, pls.

53. Flavor said, on August 30, 2016 at 8:39 pm

i was really surprised the Rockie game got bagged. That’s the first time in months my main man Kevin Roth was wrong. He’s going to feel like shit tomorrow on Twitter. He owns games like this hard. But fuck it, he’s usually nearly flawless. Weather is tough to predict and then you have absolute dumbasses making decisions on whether to play or not. Never a rhyme or reason to it.

54. alleykat69 said, on August 30, 2016 at 8:47 pm

Again I will question Krukow and his fucking pitch count… Your doing great if you avg 15 pitches an inning.. Ok I’m doing the math 15×9=135 pitches
    Yeah lm old school and I believe you finish what you start as a starter and back in the day that 135 would be a piece of cake with the “Stud Pitchers” Marichal, Seaver, Gibson,Jenkins,Perry, Ryan, Clemens etc etc.
    But not these cream puffs of today,Kruk should just STFU about pitch counts in today’s game unless it’s 9 to 10 pitches an inning so even a shitty pitcher could throw a CG at 81or 90 pitches!!!

• Flavor said, on August 30, 2016 at 8:53 pm

ha, that’s awesome. I never actually did the math on that

• unca_chuck said, on August 30, 2016 at 8:59 pm

It ain’t about CGs anymore. It’s about 105 throu 7 and hit the showers.

• djloo27 said, on August 30, 2016 at 8:59 pm

I’m sure Kruk’s basing that on a maximum 7 inning outing which would be 105 pitches. Followed by your set up man and closer. That’s how it’s been for decades already…

• djloo27 said, on August 30, 2016 at 9:00 pm

Great morons think alike…

• Flavor said, on August 30, 2016 at 9:01 pm

well, Kruk is aware that complete games do still happen. And when they do they almost never throw 130 plus. So even if he’s going with the 7 inning, 105 thing, if he ever even considers a complete game a possibility he should adjust him numbers.

• unca_chuck said, on August 30, 2016 at 9:05 pm

De ja vu all over again.

55. unca_chuck said, on August 30, 2016 at 8:57 pm

Fuck. CueTo was cruising. Now it’s a shit show.

56. gianthead said, on August 30, 2016 at 9:01 pm

What the hell…

• Flavor said, on August 30, 2016 at 9:02 pm

you sound groggy, musta just woke up? GH how many hours of sleep you get a night including all of the napping. 12? Serious Q

• gianthead said, on August 30, 2016 at 9:10 pm

The drugs for my back had really been making me drowsy since last week. But those 4 runs by AZ is now making me real groggy…add in a meeting in DC today ruined my nap:( and of course two hours in a car just stiffens the back…

• gianthead said, on August 30, 2016 at 9:11 pm

Kids went back to school as well yesterday so my ability to sleep in will be curtailed…

• Flavor said, on August 30, 2016 at 9:13 pm

that sucks, sorry to hear. I feel more tired just having read that.

57. Flavor said, on August 30, 2016 at 9:07 pm

CUeto fell apart. Hmmmm. I see. Now the zero from Turner doesn’t sting as much.

58. Flavor said, on August 30, 2016 at 9:08 pm

Brian Murphy ‏@knbrmurph 6m6 minutes ago
    Things That Were Not Part of My Night Just Twenty Minutes Ago:
    This unreal, odd Cueto collapse/exit.

59. unca_chuck said, on August 30, 2016 at 9:08 pm

Fuck. We need to get Geienke out of this game. I fear we get 10 pitches out of him this inning.

60. unca_chuck said, on August 30, 2016 at 9:12 pm

Only 9. Figures. We work him every inning till we fall behind. Fuck.

61. unca_chuck said, on August 30, 2016 at 9:14 pm

Jeff Fisher should worry about all the talent he’s wasting rather than coaching his players on the fucking anthem. Dumbass.

62. snarkk said, on August 30, 2016 at 9:24 pm

The league has been pounding Greinke’s ass all season. He comes in here to ATT, and they smoke his pole just like always…

63. unca_chuck said, on August 30, 2016 at 9:25 pm

I’ll take it

64. snarkk said, on August 30, 2016 at 9:29 pm

Nice to see Panik hitting dingers and gappers. Maybe the concussion fog is finally lifting…

65. mrsprtdude said, on August 30, 2016 at 9:30 pm

WTF? My fantasy season ( head to head league) is on the line. I have JC he has ZG. SHIT! Last I looked we were up 1-0. What happened?

66. unca_chuck said, on August 30, 2016 at 9:31 pm

The Pads should pick up Puig. For Diggity’s sake.

67. willedav said, on August 30, 2016 at 9:31 pm

Panik nails one, I’ll give him credit.

Flav, game ends I’ll give you my side of the posey argument as full on C, making $20 mil even if he’s dinged up and not being “pathetic” because he doesn’t hit enough HRs.

68. unca_chuck said, on August 30, 2016 at 9:31 pm

That fizzled in a hurry.

69. alleykat69 said, on August 30, 2016 at 9:37 pm

The thing is, we don’t always have that 8th inning setup guy are closer, so if I’m the Starter I’m fucking winning my own game at 135 pitches and Skank eyeing both Rags&Boch to stay in the dugout..

70. snarkk said, on August 30, 2016 at 9:46 pm

Seriously, the Dbacks have been crap. They have been in total disarray. Giants should be pounding their ass…

71. unca_chuck said, on August 30, 2016 at 9:48 pm

Yeah I hate losing these fucking desultory games that we should be crushing.

72. unca_chuck said, on August 30, 2016 at 9:49 pm

Pagan was on anything but the move.

73. mrsprtdude said, on August 30, 2016 at 9:49 pm

saw replay on MLB. Early in the inning. Pence still leary of the hammy. He needs to catch that ball. Changed the inning.

74. unca_chuck said, on August 30, 2016 at 9:50 pm

Buster needs to earn that salary

• alleykat69 said, on August 30, 2016 at 9:55 pm

Did earn a 4 pitch walk Chucky..
      Like he was gonna green light a homer he hasn’t had since July16 , but Kruk thought he would unleash hell..,

75. mrsprtdude said, on August 30, 2016 at 9:52 pm

No reason to but all the Posey lack of power talk leads me to predict he will hit one tonight in the 9th! Walk off in fact!

76. unca_chuck said, on August 30, 2016 at 9:56 pm

If none of them can hit homers they ALL should be bunting runners over.

• alleykat69 said, on August 30, 2016 at 10:02 pm

Yeah well Chuck,
      Why even bunt when they can’t run now( Posey assorted injuries, Pagan hammy,Pence hammy)

77. alleykat69 said, on August 30, 2016 at 9:59 pm

Nice fizzle out inning!
    Instead of Pagan on 3rd with 1 out and Posey up, ( sac fly maybe)we get jackshit with a DP!!

78. unca_chuck said, on August 30, 2016 at 10:32 pm

One time, Buster . . .

79. unca_chuck said, on August 30, 2016 at 10:34 pm

Blehhhhhh

80. mrsprtdude said, on August 30, 2016 at 10:35 pm

Shit! So annoying how bad we play against the worst teams. Gonna cost us eventually.

81. snarkk said, on August 30, 2016 at 10:36 pm

Giants left 9 on base.
    This Giants team is just really not very good….

82. unca_chuck said, on August 30, 2016 at 10:37 pm

83. unca_chuck said, on August 30, 2016 at 10:40 pm

Pisser is just how Cueto completely lost it.

84. PaulinAsia Banh Bao said, on August 30, 2016 at 10:51 pm

Yeah, Tom, this team just isn’t *consistently* very good. They’ve got 1 month to get more gooder….

85. willedav said, on August 30, 2016 at 10:55 pm

Alright here goes:

The Giants are paying Posey $20 mil to be their mvp and he is no matter how many or few HRs he hits.
    They ask him to do the toughest job and he does it without complaint and gets dinged up regularly.
    That job is to be smartest guy on the field at all times and be totally the field general—calling 120+ pitches a game, and reading his pitcher, the hitter, the ump and his defense, every single play all night.

Meanwhile the other 7 guys are out there standing around most of the game in one spot scratching themselves til a ball gets hit and wondering what or who they are doing after it’s all over.
    Oh btw, he happens to be best in the entire game at what he does and has 3 rings to prove it.
    Along with .290s BA and second best slugging and OPS on the team, dang good offensive stats for any C.

Would he be less dinged up and healthier at 1b or LF? Sure but that’s not what’s best for the team and guys playing positions like 1b (Belt in past) 3b 2b and the OF are the ones who have missed more time, and contributed less.

What’s best for the team is something completely different—having the best guy possible for the job doing the toughest one on the field night in and night out.

• PaulinAsia Banh Bao said, on August 30, 2016 at 11:00 pm

Agree, Willie. Of course would love to see more HRs, or at least a few more hit at key points in a game, the classic “clutch” HR, but he’ll never be Johnny Bench with that kind of power…. but he is still the best in the game at his position. More realistic look for more power might come from Pence, who’s been quite the silent power guy since his injury.

86. Macdog said, on August 30, 2016 at 11:02 pm

So can this guy Tebow play?

• snarkk said, on August 30, 2016 at 11:10 pm

Plays the media…

87. snarkk said, on August 30, 2016 at 11:19 pm

Romo apparently hurt his knee covering first base tonight. Sheezus, it’s a wonder some of these guys don’t hit the DL from injury sustained going into a stall to take a dump. Romo has been a ghost this season. He gone next year. Major roster shakeup needed in the off season…