Buster

Posted in Uncategorized by Flavor on August 31, 2016

I read WillieD’s supportive post re: Buster at the end of yesterday’s thread and I encourage all of you to do the same. A couple of points I quibbled with: 1) Buster better not complain, he’s gone on record many times TELLING the team he’s staying at catcher because that’s the position he wants to play. I’m not sure when players started telling the team where they were going to be playing, but whatever, that’s been Buster’s stance since he got to the big leagues and the Giants have regularly bent over to appease him. 2) Being second on this team in slugging and OPS is nothing to write home about. We need more power, plain and simple. The Giants have hit 45 HR’s this year at AT&T, the opposition has hit 59. That’s inherently unacceptable and regularly contributes to our losing ways. He very well could end up with his lowest seasonal HR total of his career (not counting the ankle season). Personally, I expect him to be able to hit at least 20 bombs each year and if he’s not going to do that, or even come close to that, our offense is going to basically be the baseball version of Sisyphus.

But having said all of that, I am certainly not above admitting when I am wrong. It’s actually a trait I wish more people on the blog and in real life would practice more often. The rest of Willie’s post resonated with me, especially the part about having your best player on the field doing the hardest job. And it’s impossible to argue against catcher being the hardest job. This is the line that got me: “What’s best for the team is something completely different—having the best guy possible for the job doing the toughest one on the field night in and night out.”

So my mind has been changed. You won’t hear me saying they should switch Buster from catcher to first base anymore. At least until he can’t physically do the job anymore. I would like to see him get a little more time at first base to avoid at least some of the dings. Belt could use a little time off, too, especially when he’s striking out 3 times a game and swinging and missing the ball by nearly a foot. But that’s a discussion for another time. 🙂

1. unca_chuck said, on August 31, 2016 at 7:09 am

Snarkk, Romo’s about the only guy I ‘d keep from the pen.

• gianthead said, on August 31, 2016 at 7:48 am

We can get much better value with other options than Romo and save that money…

• snarkk said, on August 31, 2016 at 8:42 am

We disagree then Chuck. The guy is an elbow injury waiting to recur…

2. unca_chuck said, on August 31, 2016 at 7:12 am

And yeah one of my biggest gripes is the insistence by Bochy to have these guys play through their slumps. Parker should have been brought up 2 weeks earlier than he was to spell Pence/Pagan and their hammies. Now Span is hurting.

3. Flavor said, on August 31, 2016 at 8:02 am

the bullpen was $$ last night, although zero K’s was weird. Our problem is not the bullpen. They aren’t helping anything but they aren’t the main problem. It’s not like we’re 3 up in the 7th every game and watching the lead slip away. It happens, but that happens to every team.
    It’s the “getting 3 up” part that’s the problem……

4. gianthead said, on August 31, 2016 at 8:04 am

Posey playing the hardest position at an all-star level every year makes him potentially the most valuable non-Bum trade chip.

I think we can all agree that the longer he remains at catcher, the more injuries will build and the worse his offensive production will be. I think that is not a controversial assessment but a likely guess based on how past all-star catchers have performed as they age, look at Joe Mauer. Would anyone in mlb want to take on $110 mill over 5 years for his contract?

We are all sentimental with our great Giants players. Who doesn’t have a soft spot for Lincecum and wish he played 10 more years as a Giant. And we all love the concept of a player playing his entire career for our team and having those Giant colors enter the Hall of Fame with the player. But is Joe Mauer going into the Hall??? Most of us as Giant fans would have loved to see Matt Williams in a Giants uniform for his career and land in the Hall. Neither happened. And how many players these days play an entire career with one team??? Especially top tier all stars?

No guarantees with Buster as well. I think it is just smart team management to gauge the market place and see what we can get this off-season. And if we are not playing well next year, they should dangle Pence as well. $110 extra million over the next 5 years could provide a lot of value in other positions to invest in…

• wilcojoe said, on August 31, 2016 at 8:16 am

I actually said the same thing GH during a bad slump in the first half of 2014. Like Flav said earlier, I too am not afraid to admit my mistakes.

But yeah, I think this offseason is when they have to start thinking of rebuilding, er reloading. If the season ends on a bad note (i.e. We miss the playoffs or make an early exit) I don’t think many here will be real excited about the clubs makeup heading into 2017.

5. pawliekokonuts said, on August 31, 2016 at 8:25 am

Strange year. We knew the Giants were not THAT good at the break or during that 33-game stretch. But are they THIS bad? What was the recent year they were 10 games in front and failed to qualify for the postseason? On second thought, what is ‘recent’ in my mind. This is a very tri-polar team: hot, cold, colder.

• gianthead said, on August 31, 2016 at 8:53 am

Not thinking ’93 are you Pawlie???

• djloo27 said, on August 31, 2016 at 9:29 am

Yes! 10 up on 7/22/93…

6. gianthead said, on August 31, 2016 at 8:27 am

What the hell lineup for 2017 if you made that Posey trade and everyone was 100% healthy…against righties…

1) Span – 1b (left)
    2) Panik – 2b (left)
    3) Pence – RF (right)
    4) Gallo – 3b (left)
    5) Lucroy/Brown – C (both right)
    6) Belt – 1b (left)
    7) Crawford – SS (left)
    8) Nunez – LF (right)

Flip Span with Nunez against lefties….and Pagan as a 4th OF would get plenty of starts…

• djloo27 said, on August 31, 2016 at 8:38 am

Posey is not going anywhere.
      This is a recording…
      Posey is not going anywhere.
      This is a recording…
      Posey is not going anywhere.
      This is a recording…

• gianthead said, on August 31, 2016 at 8:51 am

Loo, I think that is the conventional wisdom, I would just like to hear from Flappers if my plan makes sense. I think I have made sound argument how this enhances and secures the Giants future, especially economically…add in departing Cain the following year and Pence the year after, I like having the budget flexibility not paying Buster $110 mill more and what that then offers for future moves.

• djloo27 said, on August 31, 2016 at 9:05 am

He’s the heart and soul of the team. The face of the franchise (hate that expression). The only way they would even consider moving him is if he personally requested it. That’s what I believe anyway.
        Be happy when Cain’s contract is done and hope Cueto opts out before his arm goes down the Lincecum/Cain drain…

• chipower9 said, on August 31, 2016 at 2:40 pm

Peter – I don’t think your idea is ridiculous by any stretch, but I firmly believe Loo is dialed-in on this one:

Posey is not going anywhere.
        This is a recording…
        Posey is not going anywhere.
        This is a recording…

And I agree Loo on getting out from under the Cain contract ASAP. I would personally love to see them come to some type of “golden wristwatch” agreement with Cain and buy out 2017 and that ’18 option year (7.5 mil buyout). Time to move on.

Cueto – I am more on the fence here, as I just don’t know that they have anyone ready to take his spot, but perhaps those holes (Cain and Cueto) can be filled via FA.

• gianthead said, on August 31, 2016 at 8:48 am

And looks like because of the right-offs Texas will get with Prince Fielder and Josh Hamilton, their payroll for next year is only listed to be $116 mill and that is about $70 below their 2016 budget at the start of the season. And they will have their top 3 starting pitchers under contract. So taking a $22 mill a year Buster is in their budget. Lucroy would just cost us $5.25 mill as a team option year in 2017.

So that would be about $17 mill in savings for 2017 and gives mgmt about $50 mill more to spend to get to 2016 levels. That is a lot of scratch to build up the bullpen (Melancon as closer???) and I would give Pagan a one year $7.5 mill deal. Nunez would be arb eligible and not likely to get much of a bump. That also gives them leeway to bump up Bum beginning next year if they wanted to keep him very happy…having $50 mill to spend when you just need a 4th OF and bullpen arms would be luxurious…and I would jump at the chance.

• chipower9 said, on August 31, 2016 at 2:43 pm

They already have about 50 mil coming off the books. I am not that worried about the budget, and as Loo noted earlier (and I agree with his take on it), Posey is not going anywhere.

7. Flavor said, on August 31, 2016 at 8:35 am

Kruk said Tebow has a “beer league swing” and that’s funny cause I thought the exact same thing.

8. willedav said, on August 31, 2016 at 8:37 am

Pathetic kind of got me. Hey you can stick Posey anywhere to save his health, but you still have to find a C from somewhere. Brown is #8 hitting replacement level player.
    The power outage is a team wide thing—Pence Craw Panik Duffy and Posey, all less pop than year before, and Belt since AS break rather underwhelming. That’s 6 of the mainstays of everyday LU. If you are starting Span and Pagan you know going in not much pop there.

Maybe Sept provides breath of fresh air and jolt of adrenalin (I thought they might have gotten that with Nunez) with Specs Mac and Parker, esp since a few guys seem to be at less than full strength…couple new arms as well.

9. snarkk said, on August 31, 2016 at 8:45 am

Yeah, hopefully the call ups ad energy. This team has lacked that since the AS break. Posey post-game last night mildly complained about the press always asking about lack of scoring. No big deal, but come on Buster, if you’re complaining about this milquetoast press corps, you need to get real…

10. dirtnrocksnomo said, on August 31, 2016 at 8:46 am

The constant stream of “shutdown innings” (by the opposing pitcher) are killing this club.

Despite my comments yesterday I am fine with Posey staying behind the plate. Mostly for the reasons Flavor and Willie mention. I wish Bochy didn’t constantly put him in the clean up slot but really who else is he going to put there? I have warmed to the idea of moving Posey but that isn’t happening. Doesn’t Cespedes have the right to opt out after this season? Nearly all of his HR this season have been to LF. I bet he could hit bombs at AT&T.

• gianthead said, on August 31, 2016 at 8:57 am

Dirt, I was one of the voices suggesting we try and land Cespedes two years ago but Giants mgmt has shown no interest and I have not figured that out yet…years ago and maybe even in SF Gate pre-Flapper I was trying to make a case to trade for this young 1b named Chris Davis…I got a lot of who the hell is Chris Davis and why would the Giants want him.

• dirtnrocksnomo said, on August 31, 2016 at 9:05 am

Yes, I remember you and djloo (if I remember right) calling for Cespedes. Check out the club’s top ten players by salary projected for 2017. Hard to see the club adding Cespedes at $20M+

Buster Posey 30 $22,177,777
        Johnny Cueto 31 $21,833,333
        Matt Cain 32 $20,833,334
        Jeff Samardzija  32 $19,800,000
        Hunter Pence 34 $18,500,000
        Bumgarner 28 $11,700,000
        Denard Span 33 $11,000,000
        Crawford 30 $8,200,000
        Matt Moore 28 $7,000,000
        Brandon Belt  29 $4,000,000
        $145,044,444

• chipower9 said, on August 31, 2016 at 2:46 pm

Yes, Cespedes has an opt out. He also has a full no trade clause. I don’t see any movement there next year.

11. wilcojoe said, on August 31, 2016 at 8:49 am

I am just dumbfounded that Belt leads the team in HR’s with 14.

• Flavor said, on August 31, 2016 at 8:55 am

Brian Dozier has hit more bombs since the break (17) than any Giant has hit all season.

• chipower9 said, on August 31, 2016 at 2:50 pm

Sad, but on the flip-side, Dozier does play in the AL…with all of their bandbox yards.

• dirtnrocksnomo said, on August 31, 2016 at 8:56 am

Yeah, it is sort of funny and sad isn’t it? He’s probably lost 3-4 to AT&T too. Same as everyone on the club. I really like the park dimensions but it has got to be demoralizing for the players to hit bombs that just die out there.

• Flavor said, on August 31, 2016 at 9:07 am

59-45 isn’t probably statistically relevant but it’s close. There have been seasons where the gap was worse, I think. If Posey and Pence, specifically because they’re RH hitters) had hit more bombs this year it wouldn’t have been as bad. Of course, Pence was hurt. And maybe it’s just my imagination, but I feel like Buster is serving the ball to RF a lot more often this year than in year’s past. Can’t hit ’em out doing that. Unless you’re this guy. Easily the most emotional bomb I saw this year (dude just lost his dad, he’s a pitcher that had never hit a HR before). Watch this if you haven’t seen it.

• djloo27 said, on August 31, 2016 at 9:08 am

Very true. Him and Crawford get slaughtered by triples fuckin’ alley…

• chipower9 said, on August 31, 2016 at 2:54 pm

Had not seen that. Very cool, and against the bambinos…even better.

12. unca_chuck said, on August 31, 2016 at 9:17 am

Who the hell is Brian Dozier? These bandbox stadiums really do skew shit around. Like Ishi hitting 20 . . .

And yeah DJ, no one in baseball will trade for Posey. He’s nearing 30 with way too much money left on his deal. Like Evan Longoria.

13. Flavor said, on August 31, 2016 at 9:36 am

Tyler Beede is really coming around. About the only thing I don’t like about him is his nickname (Young Beedah). He was still throwing 98 in the 9th inning of his 2 hit, 11K shutout the other day. Thank fucking GOD we dealt Bickford and not Young Beedah.

14. Flavor said, on August 31, 2016 at 9:40 am

Wilco and Blade, here’s what Kevin Roth had to say about last night’s surprise Rockie postponement:
    COL is a ticking time bomb just about every night, and last night it blew up in all of our faces. Not much really to add to it other than 1) It sucks for me too. I put a lot of time and effort into these forecasts, and I hate when they don’t work out as planned. 2) If you fade that game, you have to fade almost every COL game all season, it was just a very standard setup with a less than standard end result. Eventually those games that are 95% safe will swing around and stick you with that other 5%.

15. Flavor said, on August 31, 2016 at 9:57 am

I like triples alley and if it turns out the 14 bomb disparity is cause by that part of the park so be it. But again, all the other teams are dealing with the same dimensions we are and yet there’s still that 14 bomb difference.

16. djloo27 said, on August 31, 2016 at 11:08 am

I want to see at least 4 homers and 13 hits between Posey and Pence combined in the 4 games at Wrigley.
    Too much to ask?

• Macdog said, on August 31, 2016 at 11:40 am

Even with Posey likely sitting out one of those games?

17. alleykat69 said, on August 31, 2016 at 11:21 am

Good morning Mr Phelps..
    Your mission if you decide to except it, is to make sure “Every Flapper is on Board” about not trading the heart&soul with his 3W/S rings ever!!
    As with all your team anyone captured the government will say kiss your ass goodbye.. This tape will self-destruct in 10 seconds…

18. zumiee said, on August 31, 2016 at 11:21 am

I agree with everyone that the team looks tired somehow, and old, too. A bunch of our key guys are now 29, 30, 31 and more. I really hope the “window” can stay open this year for another playoff run. It’s just tough when other teams have Seager, Bryant, and guys like that. We don’t have that kind of young superstar. I’m not sure what the Giants should do after this season. The guys aren’t so old that the Giants will do a major rebuild, but….they’re only going to get older, of course, and are we going to get bounce-back performances from them?

19. Flavor said, on August 31, 2016 at 11:58 am

this video from ’85 is too funny. Love the Luire interview where he considers moving to O.Co

• unca_chuck said, on August 31, 2016 at 12:08 pm

Doofus and Dorkay? The retractible dome is too fucking funny.

20. sandog said, on August 31, 2016 at 11:58 am

I don’t like triples alley and wish ATT was a reasonable home run park. I used to say they need to find a way to move home plate and the bases closer to right-center and I would still be behind that idea. And put some real bullpens in and get rid of the Coke bottle and the glove and the Chevron cars while they’re at it.

Yeah, the 1993 team lost a 10 game lead, but I always argue when someone says that team “choked.” Winning 103 games and not making the playoffs ain’t choking in my book. Man, that still hurts to think that team didn’t make the playoffs after having that kind of year. And I have never forgiven the Rockies for going 0-18 or whatever the hell it was against the Braves that year. And the Pads giving the Braves Fred McGriff mid season still pisses me off too.

I’d like to see some of these Posey article and interviews where he “TELLS” the Giants that catcher is the only position he is willing to play or he is taking his toys and going home. I’ve never seen that myself, but I’m not in the bay area and don’t get as much exposure to to coverage. I have certainly heard him say he wants to stay at catcher, but I’ve never seen or read where he has come off as a me-first dick about it like inferred above.

• Flavor said, on August 31, 2016 at 12:14 pm

unfortunately we aren’t dealing with an interview crew that wants to ask any tough follow up questions. He has never publicly ordered the Giants to keep playing him at catcher, that’s true. But he’s said he wants to stay at catcher 1000 times in the most politically correct way that he knows well. It would be nice to see a follow up question. Or just make the move and see what his reaction would be. His word is the word in this situation. If he says he wants to stay at C he ain’t going anywhere, we all know that. It’s the exact same thing as telling them, IMO

• unca_chuck said, on August 31, 2016 at 12:14 pm

I sincerely think they though it would be a homer friendly park what with the 307 down the RF line.

A RH pull hitter would do wonders.

• chipower9 said, on August 31, 2016 at 2:57 pm

It was. When #25 was wearing the Orange and Black…

Kent hit a few while here, too…

21. unca_chuck said, on August 31, 2016 at 12:12 pm

Fucking Padres. Still blame them for trading Crime Dog for bupkus. Melvin fucking Nieves? Aaaaaak!

22. dirtnrocksnomo said, on August 31, 2016 at 12:15 pm

Pagan LF
    Panik 2B
    Posey C
    Crawford SS
    Pence RF
    Belt 1B
    Nunez 3B
    Hernandez CF
    Moore P

Panik back in the 2-hole.

Crawford at .190/.239/.333 over 42ab in the clean up spot.

• Flavor said, on August 31, 2016 at 12:16 pm

Lovin’ me that *Nunie-Hern-Mo* action at the bottom of the LU

• dirtnrocksnomo said, on August 31, 2016 at 12:20 pm

Martie Lurie would like to wager on total bases for Nunie-Gorkey-MO. $100 gift card at Original Joe’s for the winner!

• Flavor said, on August 31, 2016 at 12:40 pm

I love how he included the pitcher in that.

23. Flavor said, on August 31, 2016 at 12:45 pm

Looking forward to the Giants pounding Shelby Miller just like every other team in the league does. Right? Who’s with me!?!?!?!! Bueller?

• dirtnrocksnomo said, on August 31, 2016 at 12:49 pm

24. dirtnrocksnomo said, on August 31, 2016 at 1:01 pm

Los Gigantes on the board early. How about that!

25. unca_chuck said, on August 31, 2016 at 1:49 pm

The AZ play-by-play guy is the 2nd coming of Harry Caray. Sounds just like him.

Criminy. Warning track shit.

26. unca_chuck said, on August 31, 2016 at 2:04 pm

It sounds like we are crushing the ball. They ain’t falling though.

27. unca_chuck said, on August 31, 2016 at 2:18 pm

This is reminding me too much of last night.

Colorado is 3 up on the dogs 3-0 in the 7th.

28. chipower9 said, on August 31, 2016 at 2:31 pm

Awesome thread, Craig, and thanks for it, as I am sure I would not have seen WillieD’s post. And it is a great post, one with which I certainly agree.

Good point about guys owning up when they are wrong. I try to do that when I know I am wrong, and have eaten some crow here a few times (and hell no it does NOT taste just like chicken!).

I have been busier than a mouse in a burlesque show, and have missed being here more regularly. Hope all you MoFos are well. Rock on FU!

Glad to see the Rox are beating the bums today. The upcoming series against the Cubbies will be huge…I would happily take a split. The six with the bums are certainly important, but I think, at least equally important are the four against the redbirds mid-Sept. Our boys also need to kick some ass during the 16 games left with the Rox, D-Backs and Friars. Really, every damned game is important at this point. Come on Giants…let’s find that gear you had in the first half of the year!

29. unca_chuck said, on August 31, 2016 at 2:38 pm

Strick not paying attention.

30. Macdog said, on August 31, 2016 at 2:49 pm

Leadoff double: Get. This. Run. In.

31. unca_chuck said, on August 31, 2016 at 2:54 pm

Can’t these guys figure out how to move runners over?

Belt strikes out on a high fastball? Fuck. He’s got a hole in his swing the size of a garbage can lid.

32. Macdog said, on August 31, 2016 at 3:00 pm

Sigh.

33. chipower9 said, on August 31, 2016 at 3:01 pm

Charlie – have not gone back and looked at all the posts from yesterday, but just to reiterate…I will call you next Wednesday evening when I get to the yard, or maybe we can meet up before the game for a cold one. I am sitting in section 219. I believe that is next to the section in which you are sitting.

• unca_chuck said, on August 31, 2016 at 3:55 pm

I’m going to be with my wife’s family till we get to the game so i don’t have any down time other than the game so we’ll tip a few then. I’ll be wearing my sombrero so I’ll be easy to spot.

Yeah, I’m in sec 222.

• chipower9 said, on August 31, 2016 at 3:57 pm

Cool. Will see ya at the game. Blade will be with me, along with some folks from work (Sherpa fans).

34. chipower9 said, on August 31, 2016 at 3:02 pm

Sherpas up 7 zip on la bambinos, bottom of the 8th.

35. chipower9 said, on August 31, 2016 at 3:25 pm

First of the DH in the books…Sherpas blank the bums 7-0.

36. chipower9 said, on August 31, 2016 at 3:47 pm

What the fuck is up with all the stolen bases off of Posey today? I say we trade his sorry ass! 😉

37. chipower9 said, on August 31, 2016 at 3:55 pm

Tomas with the Golden Sombrero! Fucking tortuous inning!

• unca_chuck said, on August 31, 2016 at 3:57 pm

Yeah, I’m in sec 222.

• chipower9 said, on August 31, 2016 at 3:58 pm

Are you serious about the sombrero? I still have mine from the Flapalooza a few years back. If it was not such a pain in the ass to pack into my luggage, I would rock mine, too (traveling light as I am in Denver only for a couple of daze)…

• unca_chuck said, on August 31, 2016 at 4:00 pm

Oh yeah. I’m wearing it on the plane.

• chipower9 said, on August 31, 2016 at 4:13 pm

lulz! That’s awesome! You will be easy to spot at the yard…probably the only copy of that lid in the park.

• unca_chuck said, on August 31, 2016 at 4:17 pm

I told Kathy, If I’m destined to never get a foul ball, I’m getting my ass on TV.

38. unca_chuck said, on August 31, 2016 at 3:59 pm

Ooops. De ja vu, , ,

39. Flavor said, on August 31, 2016 at 4:04 pm

i’m not doing the math, just guessing and I’m not even watching this game, but has our bp put together close to 8 innings straight of no runs given up over the last 2 games?

40. Flavor said, on August 31, 2016 at 4:07 pm

there is something incredibly funny about this tweet
    Jim Sciutto ‏@jimsciutto 4m4 minutes ago
    Jim Sciutto Retweeted Enrique Peña Nieto
    Contradicting #Trump, Mexican president says: “..I made clear that Mexico will not pay for the wall”

• unca_chuck said, on August 31, 2016 at 4:14 pm

Trumps is walking back everything he stood on once he was nominated. Just like Ritt Momney. And every other politician.

41. unca_chuck said, on August 31, 2016 at 4:13 pm

Wow. Rich Hill scratched from the Dodgers start today. They have no one to replace him so the bullpen gets the start.

42. dirtnrocksnomo said, on August 31, 2016 at 4:14 pm

Casilla-later just wrecked that, Flavor.

• chipower9 said, on August 31, 2016 at 4:17 pm

Casilla-later – gold! LMAO…

43. unca_chuck said, on August 31, 2016 at 4:15 pm

Jesus, Santiago . . .

Moron.

44. chipower9 said, on August 31, 2016 at 4:18 pm

WTF Casilla – pull your head outta your fucking ass!

45. chipower9 said, on August 31, 2016 at 4:18 pm

BALL-Fucking-GAME! FINALLY!

46. unca_chuck said, on August 31, 2016 at 4:19 pm

Just your typical 9th inning (fuuuuuuuuuck).

47. chipower9 said, on August 31, 2016 at 4:19 pm

Go Sherpas!

48. Macdog said, on August 31, 2016 at 4:20 pm

It’s a W.

49. Flavor said, on August 31, 2016 at 4:22 pm

wow, that woulda been a bad loss. Ok, one more W in the bank. 18 more to go to get to 90. Can we go 18-13 the rest of the way?

50. pawliekokonuts said, on August 31, 2016 at 4:43 pm

I sorely wanted to keep the sombrero from 2013 but a. Couldn’t carry it with all my other stuff b. It would’ve blown off walking across GGB c. i gave it to one of the kids at my airbnb spot in the Mission d. Should’ve just squashed it into my bag and brought it home. e. I’ll never forget walking and talking with zumiee the LONG mile (“it’s nothing”) to Mission to catch the bus and f. The curious feeling of wearing a sombrero on the bus stared at by people who likely had honest-to-goodness sombreros at home.

• Flavor said, on August 31, 2016 at 4:57 pm

maybe at some point tell your drunken wrigley field story again. I’ve forgotten most of it. Ok, I am off to back to school night. Will check in later

• pawliekokonuts said, on August 31, 2016 at 7:22 pm

I have to save something for the published version. Done editing 12 of 16 chapters. Moving along.

51. pawliekokonuts said, on August 31, 2016 at 4:45 pm

There was nothing easy about that W, was there. We simply lacked the capacity to break it open. We’ll take the W. Taking 3 of 4 from the Cubs would be HUGE. Let’s do it, girls.

52. Macdog said, on August 31, 2016 at 4:59 pm

11-16 in August.

• djloo27 said, on August 31, 2016 at 5:53 pm

Seemed worse…

53. djloo27 said, on August 31, 2016 at 5:52 pm

Just finished watching DVR of game. With bases loaded in 8th and 0-1 count on Tomas, Posey set up low and away. Casilla through a lollipop “murder me” breaking pitch right out over the plate that Tomas miraculously whiffed on.
    K & K didn’t say a word about it.

Mountain Goats up 5-2 mid 2nd…

• unca_chuck said, on August 31, 2016 at 5:59 pm

Miller was busting Strickland’s chops through his whole inning. One thing I like about Miler is he doesn’t give a shit.

54. pawliekokonuts said, on August 31, 2016 at 7:24 pm

from Jayson Stark:

The Elias Sports Bureau reports that Stephen Cardullo just became the second player ever to hit his first 2 career HR on his birthday. The other: Angel Pagan on 7/2/06. Better than cake!

• zumiee said, on August 31, 2016 at 7:27 pm

55. pawliekokonuts said, on August 31, 2016 at 7:40 pm

LA down 8-2.

56. unca_chuck said, on August 31, 2016 at 7:42 pm

Late, but nice . . .

57. Macdog said, on August 31, 2016 at 8:32 pm

Royals reliever Brooks Pounders appears to be aptly named.

58. Macdog said, on August 31, 2016 at 8:35 pm

Goddamn the Rockies to fucking hell.

59. zumiee said, on August 31, 2016 at 8:42 pm

Who’d want to manage the Rockies? What a futile job for a futile organization playing in a hopeless ballpark.

• Flavor said, on August 31, 2016 at 9:11 pm

Blade would love this description. Spot on

60. zumiee said, on August 31, 2016 at 8:50 pm

The Dodgers did that last year, too. A scrap-heap guy hit a grand slam in the top of the 9th to win a game at Coors Field last year, too.

• willedav said, on August 31, 2016 at 9:03 pm

Kruk has warned before, you can’t walk guys in that yard.
      Ottavino walked Peterson with 2 outs, then boom.

At least their LHP shut out LA in the first one…could prove to be Achilles heel for them.

61. snarkk said, on August 31, 2016 at 9:57 pm

They’re talking about either Cain or Suarez pitching in Chitown. WTF would you pitch Cain in Wrigley? That is an idiotic move if they do that. Blach is up, they should pitch him. Are they pitching Cain because of his damn contract? I think so. It’s not because he’s been doing well. He got clobbered in his “rehab” start. It makes no sense to me at all to start Cain until next Spring Training. Use Blach, the Cubs have never seen him before. Cain pitching in Wrigley is like pumping diesel into a 80 gallon truck tank while smoking a hand-rolled Bull Durham…

• djloo27 said, on September 1, 2016 at 4:47 am

I agree, Snarkk but as we know, no pitcher in history has ever recovered from a poor debut, so they can’t take that chance with Blach. Looks like they might still go with Suarez over Cain…

62. unca_chuck said, on August 31, 2016 at 10:10 pm

Are you fucking kidding me? The Rox lost game 2? Jeeeeez. Well, we get the cubs, the dogs get the pads,

• snarkk said, on August 31, 2016 at 10:16 pm

LA has HR power that the Giants don’t have. It helps sometimes…

63. Lurker John said, on August 31, 2016 at 10:22 pm

8-2 lead in the 8th, at home, and they lose. Unbelievable. I had that one in the bag.