A Place To Talk About Giants Baseball

A Win And We’re In

Posted in Uncategorized by Flavor on October 2, 2016

A loss, and we have to deal with an irritating trip to St Louis (if they win tonight). Although I have to think that if it turns out to not be a Matty Moore Sunday, and we lose, Voggy will be all out to take care of business in the night cap.

I can’t say enough about Cy Blach. The dude toils in the minors all year while Bochy mindlessly trots out Cain and Peavy over and over. Do they Giants know how to scout their own players? Because this is the second year in a row that a guy has come up and been lights out (Chris Heston in 2015).

The Dodgers have to unfurl the lamest of line ups today, right?

1. willedav said, on October 2, 2016 at 9:09 am

Justin Turner is one thing, but what is J Gyorko on? This guy had a great start to his career in SD and then fell apart. All of a sudden, despite not even being a starter for Cards, he has 30 freaking HRs.

Dunno what happened to the 78-82 Pirates, but Andrew McCutchen is hitting .255 Polanco .260.

Vogs vs. Wainwright. Hope Bucs bats wake up.

2. mrsprtdude said, on October 2, 2016 at 9:20 am

McCutchen has been off all year. A key player in fantasy, at least at the draft. He was having his 1st hot streak in July and I passed on straight up trade for Yelich. Bad choice. Hope he has a good last game to go in to the offseason….

3. PaulinAsia Banh Bao said, on October 2, 2016 at 9:47 am

I like Matt Young, but really, today’s game could go either way. I put my trust in Nicole having pumped up Voggie. Damn, I miss Nicole…. kinda actually miss Voggie too. Giants win, no drama. Don’t win, go Voggie.

4. pawliekokonuts said, on October 2, 2016 at 9:50 am

Something happened in the last few days. This team has life. They feel new. They are peeling away the rancid crust of my doomerism and unfurling the barest hint of a flag. They will win today. BTW, there are no night games, right? My understanding is that every game begins at 3:05 ET. As a result of 9.28.11, Baseball’s Starry Night.

#wewillwin

• chipower9 said, on October 2, 2016 at 10:05 am

I agree Pawlie! They are showing grit and pride like champions past!

Yes. All games will be at the same time. I will definitely be some scoreboard watching, but all that matter not…Just Win…

• gianthead said, on October 2, 2016 at 10:06 am

Looks like Cards game starts 10 minutes later…

• pawliekokonuts said, on October 2, 2016 at 10:08 am

so they can review the ground rules lqtm

5. chipower9 said, on October 2, 2016 at 10:01 am

A couple of lines from Flannery on the post-game yesterday:

“Honor the game, and the game honors you.”

And this one in relation to historic moments in baseball, such as winning titles:

“You don’t pick the time, it picks you.”

Love seeing the grit, guile, and determination in ”tis club. Reminds me of years-past and EYM.

Just Win…

6. pawliekokonuts said, on October 2, 2016 at 10:06 am

I gave up. But I did in 10, 12, 14, too, at various points. I freely admit it. This team, this year, is the CRAZIEST, hardest to understand. We know a team has to get hot. We look hot. The Dodgers, lukewarm at best.

• chipower9 said, on October 2, 2016 at 10:28 am

Even with all the frustrations this year (best record first half and flop in second half), I have not counted these boys out. I have said all along, just get in, and anything can happen. I keep visualizing another parade down Market Street…Just Win…

7. pawliekokonuts said, on October 2, 2016 at 10:07 am

I will be at a funeral, former father-in-law, in Waterloo, NY.

Sure glad I got that smartphone with At Bat app.

• Flavor said, on October 2, 2016 at 10:27 am

PK with a smart ph. Excellent. Welcome.

8. snarkk said, on October 2, 2016 at 10:53 am

Bochy needs to have his quick hook out for Moore. This is a big game, Moore isn’t used to that. He starts to fire walks left and right, it’s pull out every arm in the Pen until somebody takes control…

• chipower9 said, on October 2, 2016 at 3:37 pm

No hook was required.

9. snarkk said, on October 2, 2016 at 11:02 am

Funny that BF mentions in the lede that Bochy and the Giants sat on Blach the second half, while pissing away games with PeavaCain starting. I was thinking the exact thing this morning listening to Lurie. Bunch of us here mentioned that while it was happening. The Giants just have a terrible habit of milking their damn big contract players that are near useless until it’s beyond absurd. Blach could have been up maybe even just a month earlier, and the dude wins 2 games — the Giants do not have to sweat this game 162 sphincter effort. It’s exciting, but it could result in heading to St. Louis, too. Cain should not see the light of Phoenix next year. Cut him, and say good-bye, and hello to Blach, Blackman, Beede, whoever, somebody young needs to take that #5 next year. They can’t ignore the chance that Cueto walks after next season, he’s got the opt out…

10. dirtnrocksnomo said, on October 2, 2016 at 11:13 am

CF Denard Span (L)
    1B Brandon Belt (L)
    C Buster Posey (R)
    RF Hunter Pence (R)
    SS B. Crawford (L)
    LF Angel Pagan (S)
    2B Joe Panik (L)
    3B Conor Gillaspie (L)
    P Matt Moore (L)

Let’s Go Giants!

11. snarkk said, on October 2, 2016 at 11:20 am

Span at leadoff — ughh. I would put Pagan at LO, Span down below somewhere, like on the bench. Gorkys in CF. I would put more trust in Pagan to come up big at the plate than Span…

12. Macdog said, on October 2, 2016 at 11:22 am

It’s kinda weird not having baseball on until 3 pm EST on a Sunday. Too bad MLB can’t work it out to have the meaningless games — I count nine — have regular start times and have only the meaningful games start all at once.

13. mrsprtdude said, on October 2, 2016 at 11:32 am

It is absolutely nuts how optimistic i am about today’s game. How does that happen so fast?

14. snarkk said, on October 2, 2016 at 11:32 am

Cain starts post-AS break:

6 starts
    3-3 record
    ERA: 6.19
    WHIP: 1.50
    Innings pitched: 32.0 = 5+ per game
    BA given up: .283
    Every game he started, the Pen had to basically finish off 4 innings. That alone was a problem given the gas can nature of the Pen in the post-AS break period…

15. willedav said, on October 2, 2016 at 11:35 am

Pagan since Sept 1 has hit .204. Second half his BA has dropped 25 points. Like Belt, earlier in the year he was .300, but no more.
    He does well vs. RH SPs and at ATT in general (.300 vs. .230 on road) so no reason not to have him in there, but he is 35 yrs old and at end of Giants career, hopefully anyway.

• chipower9 said, on October 2, 2016 at 3:39 pm

Pagan is hitting 2-seventy something with 12 jacks and almost 60 RBIs. He isn’t the problem. Dude has been a damned good Giant.

16. willedav said, on October 2, 2016 at 11:54 am

I like Hernandez but I think you have to be realistic. He hasn’t played ml baseball for last 3 yrs except for handful of ABs with Marlins. In 57 PAs with Giants he has 3 walks, so he isn’t an OB guy (.298) and he’s hitting .259 after the 0-4 yesterday.
    Like a lot of part time guys, I think more rope you give him he probably chokes himself. Looks like good OF tho, so you can bring him defensively with late lead.

17. willedav said, on October 2, 2016 at 12:00 pm

Hey Snarkk you see end of Cal game? Granted Utes missed connection on what looked like sure TD on that rollout, but Cal held them off when they had to. Their QB Webb throws some of the prettiest long balls when he has guys open and time to throw. Like the running backs too. Good W in an upside down league.
    Should be able to lick the Beavers next week.
    Supposedly 6 Niners guys there to watch him. They could do a lot worse (and have) obviously.

• snarkk said, on October 2, 2016 at 12:09 pm

Nope, didn’t see. Did hear post game — just looked at highlights. Shocked that the D did as well as it did, still can’t stop the run, though. The Bears are entertaining, if not anything else. From what i’ve seen of Webb, the Niners definitely ought to draft the kid. Can throw deep, has touch short. They’ll need to get rid of Baalke first, there will be ACL-injured kids he’ll want to draft ahead. I have tix to the Washington game Nov 5 at Cal. Last time I saw Huskies play at Berkeley was the #1 Husky squad in ’91, with Lincoln Kennedy at tackle. The guy was huge, stood out amongst the linemen, as I remember. Bears team was good that year, gave Huskies all they wanted that day.
      I’m sure Cal will do better than Stanfoo did against the Huskies…

18. Macdog said, on October 2, 2016 at 12:08 pm

Walk.

19. snarkk said, on October 2, 2016 at 12:17 pm

I’m going to keep ragging Span so that he has to keep proving me wrong…

20. snarkk said, on October 2, 2016 at 12:18 pm

3 up, three hits, 2 runs !
    Keep it going!….

21. snarkk said, on October 2, 2016 at 12:27 pm

WTF was THAT move by Posey. Giants again with the baserunning gaffe, or some kind of “miscommunications”…

22. wilcojoe said, on October 2, 2016 at 12:32 pm

Why is MLB network showing the Tigers if their 1 1/2 games out on the final day?

• snarkk said, on October 2, 2016 at 12:40 pm

If they win, and either Toronto or Orioles lose, they’ll have to play a rained out regular season game tomorrow, with Cleveland. Tigers are playing their game 161 today…

• Macdog said, on October 2, 2016 at 12:42 pm

I finally put game on phone, looks like MLBN is doing a studio show, which is really dumb.

23. snarkk said, on October 2, 2016 at 12:43 pm

Friggin Gillaspie is en Fuego…

24. snarkk said, on October 2, 2016 at 12:46 pm

WTF was THAT?
    Yet another baserunning screw up or “miscommunication” that costs a run? Keereist. I wonder if this horseshit miscommunication stuff has anything to do with Kelly?…

25. snarkk said, on October 2, 2016 at 12:49 pm

Span continues to spit in my face ! Two run triple!
    I dare you to do more, you POS ! …
    😉

26. Macdog said, on October 2, 2016 at 12:50 pm

Spanner!

27. snarkk said, on October 2, 2016 at 12:55 pm

Add on, Add on !
    The $20 million man gets the RBI !…

28. Bozo said, on October 2, 2016 at 12:56 pm

Alright Posey…
    I’m late to the party (starting to prep for Matthew), looks like Span and Posey want to go to NY.

29. snarkk said, on October 2, 2016 at 1:00 pm

Scully now broadcasting on KNBR…

• Macdog said, on October 2, 2016 at 1:06 pm

And a nice, quick half-inning.

30. gianthead said, on October 2, 2016 at 1:03 pm

Gillaspie earning his Giants stripes today…

31. Macdog said, on October 2, 2016 at 1:21 pm

Scully said Span has had a brilliant year.

• zumiee said, on October 2, 2016 at 1:25 pm

If he’d had a brilliant season, the Giants wouldn’t have to scratch and claw in Game 162 to get a Wild Card spot.

• zumiee said, on October 2, 2016 at 1:29 pm

Other than that, Scully did well. The over-the-top modesty wears thin, IMO, though.

• zumiee said, on October 2, 2016 at 1:30 pm

You know you’re good, Vinny. Why else would you insist on always working by yourself?

• snarkk said, on October 2, 2016 at 1:41 pm

Scully meant a brilliant day…

32. willedav said, on October 2, 2016 at 1:33 pm

Last couple days aren’t what Dodgers wanted to see out of SPs.

33. zumiee said, on October 2, 2016 at 1:34 pm

Wow- that Pederson fly-out. Just….wow….

34. Macdog said, on October 2, 2016 at 1:39 pm

Looks like it’s raining at the Niners game.

35. zumiee said, on October 2, 2016 at 2:23 pm

Miller was quoting Scully earlier today. Vinny had said:
    “People ask me: what are your retirement plans? Well, when you retire in your 60s, you have to make plans for retirement. But when you retire at age 89, you make one plan: live.”

36. Macdog said, on October 2, 2016 at 2:27 pm

Whose idea was it to let Kuip sing?

• zumiee said, on October 2, 2016 at 2:31 pm

Kuiper’s singing…..audio torture.

• zumiee said, on October 2, 2016 at 2:34 pm

Scully was digging it, though.

• Lurker John said, on October 2, 2016 at 2:49 pm

Vinnie doing the funky chicken. Perfect end to the weekend.

37. zumiee said, on October 2, 2016 at 2:39 pm

Dodgers fans don’t like Baez all that much. He works real slowly, and he gives up a lot of HRs.

38. Lurker John said, on October 2, 2016 at 2:49 pm

Matt Moore FANTABULOUS. GO GIANTS!!

39. Flavor said, on October 2, 2016 at 2:52 pm

Puig is just not a very good outfielder That was an absurd route to the ball. He’s got a great arm. Big whoop. He’s dumb as a pumpkin……

40. Bozo said, on October 2, 2016 at 3:02 pm

84 RBIs for our Shortstop this year. Not too shabby.

41. Macdog said, on October 2, 2016 at 3:08 pm

Deee-Span!

42. Flavor said, on October 2, 2016 at 3:11 pm

Even…

43. Flavor said, on October 2, 2016 at 3:11 pm

Year….

44. Bozo said, on October 2, 2016 at 3:12 pm

45. Flavor said, on October 2, 2016 at 3:12 pm

Bullshit….

• Bozo said, on October 2, 2016 at 3:14 pm

Sorry about that. I didn’t want to interrupt your EYB so I edited mine.
      Going to NY…

46. Lurker John said, on October 2, 2016 at 3:12 pm

SWEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEP!!!!!

47. Macdog said, on October 2, 2016 at 3:12 pm

Somehow, someway, through all the incompetence and impotence and slumbering and slumping in the second half, and in spite of themselves, the Giants made to Wednesday.

Bring on the Metsies.

• Lurker John said, on October 2, 2016 at 3:14 pm

They picked themselves off the mat big time during this homestand.

• zumiee said, on October 2, 2016 at 3:15 pm

• djloo27 said, on October 2, 2016 at 3:58 pm

48. Flavor said, on October 2, 2016 at 3:12 pm

Goddammit Clown, you fucked up my thing…..
    lol. Fun to see them get there after all the shit they went through in the 2nd half….

• Bozo said, on October 2, 2016 at 3:15 pm

My bad…

• Flavor said, on October 2, 2016 at 3:17 pm

haha I knew someone would get in between it.

49. Flavor said, on October 2, 2016 at 3:13 pm

EYB, Baby. ANd later days to Vin. I was never a big fan but understand why many were…….

• Lurker John said, on October 2, 2016 at 3:16 pm

It’s hard to be all in on anyone associated with L.A., but his talent and legacy go unquestioned.

• Flavor said, on October 2, 2016 at 3:19 pm

he’s got legacy, that’s for sure. I don’t like his voice and think his calls have gotten stale in the last few years. There’s no sin in that, he’s old as dirt. I’m fine with him retiring……

50. Lurker John said, on October 2, 2016 at 3:15 pm

Cards out, Giants in! Beat the Mets!!!

51. Macdog said, on October 2, 2016 at 3:18 pm

And over in the junior circuit, It’ll be O’s vs. Jays in WC game.

52. Flavor said, on October 2, 2016 at 3:20 pm

Where is the damn Stix mugshot?

53. Flavor said, on October 2, 2016 at 3:22 pm

Crawford’s wife just tweeted this. Doubt she made it up but this is good:
    Amy Crawford ‏@amy_lynn23 21s22 seconds ago
    #BeliEVEN

• zumiee said, on October 2, 2016 at 3:24 pm

That’s been around. I don’t know who started it.

54. zumiee said, on October 2, 2016 at 3:23 pm

Krukow: “Bochy should get consideration for Manager of the Year.”

I love ya, Kruk. But….no.

• Lurker John said, on October 2, 2016 at 3:26 pm

lol. Agree, NOPE, but the playoffs are on and we’re in…

• zumiee said, on October 2, 2016 at 3:29 pm

Yeah, Bochy could be great going forward in the playoffs, as he’s shown in the past. This year he showed a manager could have a slump just like the players.

• Macdog said, on October 2, 2016 at 3:35 pm

Maybe more ridiculous than Scully’s Span comment.

55. zumiee said, on October 2, 2016 at 3:26 pm

First up on the microphone…..Peavy? Yeah, I think I’ll pass on that. I wish him well the rest of his life, but he did more to hinder the Giants this season than help.
    I guess it’s between him and Cain for a playoff roster spot. They’re both basically worthless at this point, though.

• gianthead said, on October 2, 2016 at 3:31 pm

No need for either, especially in the wild card game. Load up the bats!!! Is Blach playoff eligible???

• zumiee said, on October 2, 2016 at 3:34 pm

Probably not eligible. Instead of Blach earlier in the season, we got Stratton losing 8-0 to the A’s.

56. gianthead said, on October 2, 2016 at 3:29 pm

What a sweet game…with a nice 3 inning nap until the 8th!!!! Playoffs babybin an even year…anything can happen. The Cubs have a 100 year curse….

57. chipower9 said, on October 2, 2016 at 3:30 pm

Great game…great series.
    Just Win…

58. mrsprtdude said, on October 2, 2016 at 3:31 pm

Listening to Vin Scully one last time, and during a stress free easy win. Priceless!

59. mrsprtdude said, on October 2, 2016 at 3:33 pm

who would have had confidence if I said last Wednesday that we would need to win 5 of 6 including sweeping the Dodgers to hold off the Cards that it would have happened?? Now all of the sudden we are looking scary to teams.

60. zumiee said, on October 2, 2016 at 3:40 pm

It’s so nice to say we made the playoffs this season.
    And we have Bum going on Wednesday, so that game is set-up the way we’d want it. Man, that’ll be intense.
    But for now…..it’s time for celebrating making the playoffs!

61. Dennis Zucchino said, on October 2, 2016 at 3:46 pm

Love seeing the contribution across the bench over the last 6 games, Coner, Kelby,Gorkys…
    The freaking worm is turning… Time for a double shot and salute to the flag…. Sweet!
    Confidence is high if they get by the Mets… week or so ago, readthe Cubs would prefer to not take on the Giants.. Last series demonstrated the Giants could go toe to toe with them.
    Just get to that next dance….

62. zumiee said, on October 2, 2016 at 3:58 pm

The very young Vin Scully:

• zumiee said, on October 2, 2016 at 3:59 pm

Posted at a Dodger blog.

• zumiee said, on October 2, 2016 at 4:02 pm

The longevity of his career is mindblowing. He started before the Korean War.

63. djloo27 said, on October 2, 2016 at 4:03 pm

Next stop StubHub. Should be a madhouse Wednesday.
    Met fans have shed their loser mentality of the last decade and will not be welcoming.
    Gonna be Condition Red and I’m expecting rain.
    I’ll be ready…

64. djloo27 said, on October 2, 2016 at 4:10 pm

Gonna try to smuggle this into Citifield for self defense…

65. alleykat69 said, on October 2, 2016 at 4:12 pm

Hey all I have is FUCK THE DODGERS WHERE THE SUN DONT SHINE!!!
    WERE IN AND THATS ALL THAT MATTTERS!!! 4 in 7 BITCHES!!
    IM GETTIN A MAJOR SKINK ON AND MY DOG TOO!! WELL A COUPLE SIPS OF BEER AT MY WATERING HOLE!!!
    GO GIANTS!!!!!!

66. pawliekokonuts said, on October 2, 2016 at 4:19 pm

I may go to Citi Field, even to hang out. Maybe I finally get to meet Loo. I can hump my book, too.

• djloo27 said, on October 2, 2016 at 4:25 pm

What does that mean???

• pawliekokonuts said, on October 2, 2016 at 4:30 pm

If I go, I would want to see you even if it is outside the stadium.

• djloo27 said, on October 2, 2016 at 4:31 pm

What about the game?

• pawliekokonuts said, on October 2, 2016 at 4:45 pm

If the prices are too high, I won’t go in.

• djloo27 said, on October 2, 2016 at 4:49 pm

Lowest price for a seat including fees is a little under $200.00 right now on StubHub…

• Bozo said, on October 2, 2016 at 5:22 pm

What does it cost to hump your book? 🙂

67. zumiee said, on October 2, 2016 at 4:26 pm

And the managerial hammer starts falling…..Ventura gone from the White Sox.

68. Flavor said, on October 2, 2016 at 5:02 pm

Loo representing at CitiField. Nice. Too bad you severed ties with BuzzSaw, he could have come in handy.

• djloo27 said, on October 2, 2016 at 5:33 pm

Damn right…

69. wilcojoe said, on October 2, 2016 at 5:03 pm

Loo, I would totally pay that. I think a one game win or go home would be a blast. Have fun!

70. Flavor said, on October 2, 2016 at 5:25 pm

PK I have seen some novel marketing ideas in my life but you posting up outside Citifield and humping your book would take the cake. I’m assuming you go dry? But you’ve got my imagination atwitter my man, I am looking forward to a video of that!

71. zumiee said, on October 2, 2016 at 5:31 pm

Lemahieu (or however you spell it) sat out several games at the end in order to win the batting title. Also known as the “Bill Madlock method.”
    It’s pretty cheesy, and a rip-off to fans who paid for tickets for those games. The Rockies weren’t putting their best team on the field.
    Ted Williams chose to risk his .400 average to play a DOUBLE-HEADER the final day of the season. He was at .400, I think, and the manager said he could sit that day if he wanted to. Williams said, forget that, I’m not backing into this thing. He went 6 for 8 that day, or something like that, and ended up .406.

• djloo27 said, on October 2, 2016 at 5:32 pm

Yes, he was at .3996 going in…

• zumiee said, on October 2, 2016 at 5:34 pm

Thanks. That’s right, it rounded off to .400.

• zumiee said, on October 2, 2016 at 5:34 pm

And what’s a batting title from a Rockies player worth anyway? It’s always going to be tainted because of that ballpark, anyway. No one respects a Rockies batting title.

72. djloo27 said, on October 2, 2016 at 5:59 pm

Who the fuck was Alex Smith trying to throw that to?

• Macdog said, on October 2, 2016 at 6:27 pm

Probably the same kind of target as Fitzpatrick last week.

• djloo27 said, on October 2, 2016 at 6:35 pm

Any shot you goin’ Mac?

• Macdog said, on October 2, 2016 at 6:55 pm

None. Won’t be able to get the night off and that’s a bit high $$$.

73. Flavor said, on October 2, 2016 at 6:32 pm

I love and always have loved the wild card format. I think it’s awesome to kick off the post season with a Game 7. The Giants are in such better shape to move on than the Mets. After Syndy who do the Mets have to pitch Game 1 in the NLDS? Freaking Colon? But, we gotta get passed Syndy. Citi Field will be rocking. So was Pittsburgh till Crawford shut that place up with his slam.

74. pawliekokonuts said, on October 2, 2016 at 6:41 pm

I really don’t know yet if I’m going. My mind is fevered. But I’m 67. Getting old for my kidness to be indulged.