2010…2012…2014…2016

Posted in Uncategorized by Flavor on October 3, 2016

In honor of all that is competitive and right with baseball, the Giants have to win this wild card game. Even though you know the Cubs are rooting hard for the Mets. If you were Chicago, you would too. If Syndy beats us the Mets get a day off for travel and then have to lock the kitchen up and ask “Two Slices” Colon to open the NLDS on Friday. And for Game 2? Freaking Lugo? The guy who’s last name starts with “G” that I can’t spell? After Thor, they literally have zero starting pitching left. The Cubs would destroy them.

Meanwhile, if the Giants win it’s not like they burned their only ticket to the dance. Cueto and Moore loom largely and I love the idea of Smarge out of the bullpen if needed. And by Game 3 Bum is back. SF vs Chicago is set up to be an epic battle.

The only reason I think we can pull this off is because our pitching is right there. It’s been rock solid for 2 months. If we didn’t have 4 stud starting pitchers all geeked and peaked I would worry since pitching doesn’t just all of a sudden come together.

But hitting can. You can be in a hitting slump and all of a sudden spring out of it. In fact, it’s probably nothing that some wild eyes from Pence shooting around the dugout couldn’t fix.

First things first, Thor is going to be a problem. He pitched against us twice this year. We hit him some in May, not at all in August. He’s a total stud.

Right now I’m having a pretty hilarious vision that would likely involve some NYPD activity. Palwie is humping his book outside the stadium. Loo is right next to him waving one of those giant-ass cardboard signs of Stix face– you know the type of sign those Jesus freaks wave around? A sign that big.

A game this big.

E.Y.B.

1. pawliekokonuts said, on October 3, 2016 at 5:50 am

As I sit in my pajamas and wearing my slippers, feeling oldish, I have little appetite for trekking to New Yawk and back in one day. But, hey, I just got up. Ha! It’s 8:50.

• Flavor said, on October 3, 2016 at 5:59 am

put on some shoes with laces before you make any decisions today. ๐Ÿ™‚ ๐Ÿ™‚ ๐Ÿ™‚

2. pawliekokonuts said, on October 3, 2016 at 6:03 am

by noon?

3. gianthead said, on October 3, 2016 at 6:36 am

Pawlie and I are living the same life…I just dont have any writing credits…I’M WORKING ON IT!!!๐Ÿ˜Ž

The epicness of this sweep over the Fodgers and getting in keeps alive my 50-1 Giants-Rangers World Series matchup!!!

4. dirtnrocksnomo said, on October 3, 2016 at 6:57 am

One of those signs that say Styx Lives or Styx Is Coming? Like that?(there’s really some fantastic possibilities here)

5. sfsarge said, on October 3, 2016 at 7:12 am

All i can say is wow! Epic series, I did not see that coming at all. Talk about getting hot at the right time. Waiting until the absolute last minute.

Managed to climb out of the dog house, got my dad moved out of my house, and the skink will return another day! Things are falling into place.

Bum goes to NY and puts a Carolina beat down on the Mets. I have this feeling that Thor gets rocked.

EYB

Get to the dance and make some noise.
    We score, we win
    #FreeStix2016

• Flavor said, on October 3, 2016 at 8:05 am

glad to hear all of this and great post.

• chipower9 said, on October 3, 2016 at 11:32 am

Glad to hear things are shaping-up on the home-front, Sarge. Great post, brother.

• Lurker John said, on October 3, 2016 at 12:14 pm

#FreeStix2016

I love it Sarge!

• gianthead said, on October 3, 2016 at 1:00 pm

Stix Life Matters!!!

Rally Stix!

6. alleykat69 said, on October 3, 2016 at 7:52 am

I’m not worried at all facing Thor If anything the Mets should be shitting their collective pants going up against the best big game pitcher in baseball!!
    Bum is 4-0 lifetime in NY with an insane era of .062!! Bring it On!!

7. Flavor said, on October 3, 2016 at 8:07 am

If I were managing, I think I’d go with Bum as long as possible and then if need be go straight to Smarge. Bum and Thor will likely be matching zeros, it would be nice to be able to keep the zeros going with Smarge as Thor is forced to hand the game off to the bullpen in the 8th.

• gianthead said, on October 3, 2016 at 1:04 pm

Im with you on Smardjaramjam coming out of the pen. He would not be needed to start until a potential Game 4 in SF against the Snubs (see what I did there???)….

8. willedav said, on October 3, 2016 at 8:26 am

The rake is a nice touch but I’m wondering about choice of gear for Loo in Metville.

• djloo27 said, on October 3, 2016 at 9:26 am

There will be no doubt whose side I’m on. Might even do some orange stripes in my hair. I’ll try to get some pics and send them to one of you guys phones that I have…

• chipower9 said, on October 3, 2016 at 11:33 am

Hook me up with some picts, brother. I know you will represent us all with flying colors! Wish I was going to be there with you (could be trouble)!

9. chipower9 said, on October 3, 2016 at 8:28 am

Well, we saw glimmers of the team we loved in the first half. I said regularly, even as frustrated as I was, that there is no reason they cannot find that mojo, again.

The Undertaker vs. Thor. Epic.

Just Win…

10. unca_chuck said, on October 3, 2016 at 8:45 am

Wasn’t it a hoe? Don’t think Loo will have a problem finding one of those . . .

11. dirtnrocksnomo said, on October 3, 2016 at 8:47 am

It will be interesting to see what Bochy does with Samardzija. Just no Casilla or Strickland in save situations. Romo seems to have locked down the roll. He’ll be the softest tossing closer since who? Hoffman at the tale end of his career? Doesn’t matter though as long as you can get outs.

• djloo27 said, on October 3, 2016 at 9:27 am

Since Hoyt Wilhelm?

• dirtnrocksnomo said, on October 3, 2016 at 9:28 am

Diggin’ deep, dj.

• unca_chuck said, on October 3, 2016 at 1:16 pm

Since Romo in 2012?

12. Flavor said, on October 3, 2016 at 9:29 am

the thing I like about Romo is, the ball rarely ends up over the plate. And he can’t throw it straight. Plus, he’s done it before. And the risk of having him have to pitch back to back is lesser in the post season.

• Lurker John said, on October 3, 2016 at 12:22 pm

He’s commanding all of his pitches right now. I feel good with him in the closer role.

13. dirtnrocksnomo said, on October 3, 2016 at 9:40 am

I’m hoping for 8-10 complete games en route to a championship. I almost wish the team was playing today to keep it rolling.

14. Bozo said, on October 3, 2016 at 10:34 am

I wonder how many pitchers the Giants will take for their WC roster? Eight to ten would be my guess but with the way Boch likes to make switches, I guess it could be 12. Dizzy Gillaspie has helped us get in, but I’m hoping Nunez is back.
    Orange October gotta love it.

• chipower9 said, on October 3, 2016 at 11:37 am

Fuck yeah – I love me some Orange October!

15. chipower9 said, on October 3, 2016 at 11:41 am

• Flavor said, on October 3, 2016 at 11:55 am

that is such a great speech. I could watch that 50 times.

• djloo27 said, on October 3, 2016 at 2:56 pm

I’m up to about 75. I feel like heading for Citifield right now…

• wilcojoe said, on October 3, 2016 at 3:10 pm

Nice to see Panda back for the celebration. Too bad he and Beckham aren’t eligible for the post season.

16. dirtnrocksnomo said, on October 3, 2016 at 12:04 pm

Does Samardzija even have playoff experience? Probably back in his college days.

• Flavor said, on October 3, 2016 at 12:21 pm

college baseball experience? Probably.

17. Lurker John said, on October 3, 2016 at 12:21 pm

I dig the perspective, BF. The Giant’s rotation in a short series is a beautiful thing. The front 4 guys are pitching well, and Matt Moore is simply dealing right now. I’ll take my chances with Bum, Johnny C, Moore and Shark any time of the year, and possibly using Shark out of the pen makes things even stronger. Get past the Metropolitans and the Cubbies will be sweating in their jocks. Big challenge with Syndegaard, but the boys are rolling on the heels of their first 4 game winning streak in the second half.

GO GIANTS!

18. Irish Kevin said, on October 3, 2016 at 12:27 pm

Well I have to thing that the Nats, Dodgers and Cubs are all rooting for the Mets. The Giants went into the 2014 asthewild cars, and we all know how that turned out!! Need the nodding Clint right here

19. dirtnrocksnomo said, on October 3, 2016 at 12:42 pm

Strasburg out for the NLDS. I’m digging the EYB parallels here but looking back how does that 2012 decision to hold him out of the post season look for the Nationals?

20. djloo27 said, on October 3, 2016 at 12:46 pm

Wish I had the ability to create the Stix banner…

21. unca_chuck said, on October 3, 2016 at 2:19 pm

Dave Stewart out as Snakes’ GM.

• Flavor said, on October 3, 2016 at 2:45 pm

even less of a surprise than Barry being let go.

• unca_chuck said, on October 3, 2016 at 3:25 pm

Yup. Wonder where the folks are that trashed us for signing Cueto and Samarge while calling the D-backs the winners of the offseason.

Oh yeah, still peddling their wares.

And Pawlie, for future reference, you are pimping your book, not humping it.

• Flavor said, on October 3, 2016 at 5:00 pm

Ha I forgot about that. Those guys can suck it. The guys who do the “power rankings” each week can also suck it

22. Flavor said, on October 3, 2016 at 2:45 pm

not a huge surprise.
    Jon Heyman โ€@JonHeyman 16m16 minutes ago Aventura, FL
    sources: barry bonds is being let go by marlins

23. Flavor said, on October 3, 2016 at 2:47 pm

Craig Mish โ€@CraigMish 9m9 minutes ago
    Bonds was called out this summer by Mattingly on a road trip. Commitment level dwindled.

24. djloo27 said, on October 3, 2016 at 3:03 pm

I made a good move buying my ticket last night. Prices are shooting up. Lotta buzz in town.
    Can’t wait to get in the trenches…

• wilcojoe said, on October 3, 2016 at 3:08 pm

Nice!
      I was thinking that might happen when you mentioned the prices last night. $200 seemed like a steal for this game.

• unca_chuck said, on October 3, 2016 at 3:30 pm

Wasn’t there a promise to run across the field naked from someone?

25. djloo27 said, on October 3, 2016 at 3:30 pm

First pitch 8:08 PM here. What do you guys who work 9-5 do out there? Do you go home from work and turn it on in the 4th inning? Do you head right for the nearest bar at 5?

• alleykat69 said, on October 3, 2016 at 4:57 pm

You know my answer Loo,
      Jamming down the highway to the Bar.If I get lucky I’ll make it just after God bless this Bar!๐Ÿป๐Ÿบ๐Ÿป๐Ÿบ๐Ÿท๐Ÿธ๐Ÿน

• Flavor said, on October 3, 2016 at 4:58 pm

I work 7am to about 3:30 so I’m usually good for 5pm games.

26. zumiee said, on October 3, 2016 at 3:36 pm

Nate currently has Hillary at a 70.8% chance of winning. Trump acted even more unhinged than usual this past week.

• wilcojoe said, on October 3, 2016 at 4:32 pm

That SNL opening skit with Alex Baldwin as Trump was one for the ages.

• gianthead said, on October 3, 2016 at 4:51 pm

So funny when he says “warmer” of not
        paying taxes…the family feud skit could have been much funnier..

27. gianthead said, on October 3, 2016 at 4:54 pm

Checked WS matchup odds. Giants-Rangers still at 30-1 and same with the Red Sox…if I hit the MNF game, will throw some more dollars on Giants-Rangers and throw the rest on Giants-Red Sox…

28. Macdog said, on October 3, 2016 at 5:23 pm

Samardzija threw one inning in relief for the Cubs in Game 1 of the 2008 NLDS vs. the Dodgers, giving up 1 run in a 7-2 loss. He was not included on the roster for the A’s in the 2014 wild-card game vs. the Royals.

29. gianthead said, on October 3, 2016 at 5:46 pm

Time to bring Bonds back into the fold? He may not be every day batting coach material but maybe an at home hitting instructor…

30. djloo27 said, on October 3, 2016 at 6:00 pm

What does Will Clark do for the team? He seems to be in the dugout fairly often.
    I don’t think the Giants want Bonds around day in and day out. I think they prefer the occasional visit..

• Flavor said, on October 3, 2016 at 6:12 pm

Agreed. Now and again Barry sightings is plenty. Seriously, if he’s not hitting a baseball he’s just unnecessary to have around. No one liked being around him when he played. Why would they want to be around him now?

• snarkk said, on October 3, 2016 at 7:09 pm

He’s nicer when he’s not making so much money?…

• Flavor said, on October 3, 2016 at 7:16 pm

I highly doubt it.

• Bozo said, on October 3, 2016 at 7:20 pm

If I remember right, the Giants used Bonds as a visiting coach during ST for a couple of years. Didn’t he work with Craw on an exercise to hitting lefties? I thought they were pretty happy with his contributions (at least I don’t remember hearing any complaints). I also think he has a contract on the table as a special assistant/ambassador but Bonds hasn’t kicked it in yet (part of his final contact with us, I think ).

Last I heard, Clark was working as a roving instructor for us (they had him working with Belt for a long time), not sure what his roll with the team is right now, wasn’t he trying to spend more time with his autistic kid?

31. snarkk said, on October 3, 2016 at 7:21 pm

Would winning this WC game against the Mets erase 70 games of suckitude and the worst stretch of Bochy managing since 2010?
    Hell yeah…

32. snarkk said, on October 3, 2016 at 7:31 pm

On Stubhub, I’m seeing for this WC game the cheapest seats in the outfield nosebleed sections for minimum $150, and above. Anything in closer and still in the upper 2 decks are well over $200, and above $300 for behind the plate. Lower down box you’re looking at over $400 and on up the closer to the plate you get…

• djloo27 said, on October 3, 2016 at 8:13 pm

I’m in Section 121 – Row 30 between Giant dugout and on-deck circle. I haven’t been this psyched to go to a baseball game in 50 years…

• PaulinAsia Banh Bao said, on October 3, 2016 at 8:18 pm

I think it’s great that you called this one-game play-in, Gints at Mets, weeks ago, Loo. Bring it home, baby….

• Flavor said, on October 3, 2016 at 8:32 pm

you being psyched is getting me psyched and I’m just gonna be on my couch thousands of miles away……

• Macdog said, on October 3, 2016 at 8:36 pm

Not even for the FlapaLOOza at Yankee Stadium?

• djloo27 said, on October 3, 2016 at 8:42 pm

Well Mac, the Flapalooza was much more about hanging with the crew than the game.
        Wednesday is ALL BUSINESS…

• willedav said, on October 3, 2016 at 8:43 pm

Enjoy my man.
        Decided what Giants shirt you’re wearing?

• djloo27 said, on October 3, 2016 at 9:10 pm

I got the whole get-up ready, Willie. Either the black or orange SFG zip-up hoodie (with Championship pins), black Giant sweatshirt under it, black jeans, white socks with black and orange stripes, sneakers with orange stripes, multiple black and orange wristbands, and 3 silver championship medallions around my neck.
        Possible orange hair streaks.

33. willedav said, on October 3, 2016 at 8:40 pm

Missed whole weekend worth of games; Wed I can follow along at work on cbs site but it’s sketchy. We have old pcs that lot of sites don’t like. Not getting home til after 7 PM. Road games are gonna suck.

Closer with slowest pitches I ever saw was Doug Jones of the Tribe. He wiped out A’s in 9th at Mausoleum and it looked like changeup off the changeup. Got the job done tho and had great years for Cle.
    Nice to see them going back–and first matchup is vs. Francona’s old buddies in Beantown.

Kawakami sez: If Giants get by Mets and can get split in the Windy, they are in and win it all. All as in everything. Toughest AL matchup would be Sawx, but he says either get SF early, or not at all.

• alleykat69 said, on October 3, 2016 at 9:23 pm

Kawakami can suck pole!
      Never liked him, and now he wants to jump on the bandwagon this late and make a stupid statement about a split in Cubby World and the Giants could go all the way??Screw him..
      PS… Great job Loo grabbing a ticket for Wed.All look for your camo as you barge into Marlin Man’s row to give him do shit..

34. PaulinAsia Banh Bao said, on October 3, 2016 at 9:18 pm

Yeah, Willie, I agree with that thought. I think the Mets game is the biggest challenge. MadBum must absolutely be dealing because the offense is probably going to be sparse. That is going to be one tight game. Win that one, I think they can indeed go all the way. The G’s starting pitching is potentially the best they’ve had, and 2010 was dominant. Offense is going to have to score just enough.

35. willedav said, on October 3, 2016 at 9:42 pm

ALL BUSINESS indeed. that 9:10 is POTD HOF. And Stix would be proud.

• djloo27 said, on October 3, 2016 at 9:46 pm

Time to rake!
      Shoot down the fuckin’ Mets!

36. PaulinAsia Banh Bao said, on October 3, 2016 at 10:21 pm

Are the Mets going to beat the Giants?

file:///C:/Users/ERC/Desktop/new%20things/stix%202.gif

37. PaulinAsia Banh Bao said, on October 3, 2016 at 10:22 pm

Oops, I just don’t have the technological skills to do this. Created a GIF of Six shaking his head, some Flappers were calling out for something like that…

• eddacker said, on October 3, 2016 at 11:04 pm

it is easiest if you upload it to the www (aka cloud) and use an http:// address instead of the file:/// one in your post above.
      try postimage.org if you don’t have a place.

1. upload and resize (320 = medium, 640 = large)
      2. use the ‘direct link’ address out of the list and paste it in your post.
      3. if you want set it to expire or save the link called “remove” to remove the picture later

~ we take no responsibility for informational or technical errors in this message, but this usually works OK

38. snarkk said, on October 3, 2016 at 10:36 pm

Walt Weiss out as Head Sherpa…

39. snarkk said, on October 3, 2016 at 10:41 pm

Dbacks basically fired the entire front office. Not surprising. When I was in Phoenix over summer, sports talk was all over alleged dysfunction in Dbacks management. How does LaRussa survive that, since he basically hired them?…

• eddacker said, on October 3, 2016 at 11:07 pm

I saw an article maybe a month ago Tony stated that, if he stays stu stays. So I am asking the same question: does this mean Tony is next?

40. pawliekokonuts said, on October 4, 2016 at 8:07 am

How can we lose with Loo there in full regalia?