Mere Mortals vs A Baseball God

Posted in Uncategorized by Flavor on October 4, 2016

One thing we have going for us, and I think we forget this a little bit, is the absolute mystic of Madison Bumgarner. To us, he’s still human, we watch him all the time. He’s not a machine, he gives up runs. He even loses games. But to the rest of the baseball landscape, he’s a living legend, a character out of Greek mythology. How perfect is it that he gets to go up against a pitcher with the nickname of a God from Norse mythology? I don’t know about you guys, but I go Greek > Norse all damn day long. Always have, always will.

Peep this. Lowest Road ERA, Post Season history:

Bum: 0.60

Bob Gibson: 0.97

Mariano Rivera: 1.02

Sandy Kofax: 1.04

So if you find yourself at work shitting your slacks trying to figure out how we are going to hit Thor, just remember that Mets fans and very likely Mets players are probably shitting themselves twice as hard worrying about how they are going to hit Bum. And that mental mind bending snot rocket in their faces is as real as it is powerful. That’s our “10th man”. Thor was good in the post season last year. 26K’s, 19 innings, 2 wins, 3.32 ERA, blah blah blah. The bottom line is that he’s more cute nickname and flowing locks than he is true legend. Legend status is real and it’s earned and it’s Bum. It could literally be the reason we win that game tomorrow…..

1. gianthead said, on October 4, 2016 at 6:07 am

Hit my MNF parlay…so put a little more on Giants-Rangers and tripled that for Giants-Red Sox both at 30-1…RALLY STIX!!!

2. Flavor said, on October 4, 2016 at 6:38 am

Technically, this was yesterday. But still.

3. Dennis Zucchino said, on October 4, 2016 at 6:41 am

Tuesday morning and the newspapers and sportscasters are pumping up some hysteria for Mets magic. But reading between the lines you can feel a little apprehension. You can bet Collins is mulling where that Achilles heal is; wondering where that hammer will come from; wondering is it just another unexplainable destiny and tying to forget it’s an even year.

4. sfsarge said, on October 4, 2016 at 7:06 am

Like I said yesterday,and I stand by it. I have a real gut feeling Thor gets humbled. EYB at it’s finest.

Oh yeah
    #FreeStix2016

5. dirtnrocksnomo said, on October 4, 2016 at 7:21 am

I’ve always been partial to Dionysus. Just look at this brief description.

Distinguishing Features: Leopard-skin shirt, walking shorts, purple socks and sandals, the general pasty demeanor of someone who has been up partying much too late.

Damn straight.

All. Day. Long.

6. willedav said, on October 4, 2016 at 7:23 am

Not seeing any news on Nunez. Isn’t Thor the Met SP has trouble holding men on base?

• djloo27 said, on October 4, 2016 at 1:53 pm

Yes, Giants exposed it to the world at Citifield earlier this year in their series finale.
      Bumgarner also screwed up Conforto’s season in that game…

7. PaulinAsia Banh Bao said, on October 4, 2016 at 7:32 am

Regular season is done and done-er. It’s the post-season. MadBum will be on the mound. And it’s probably the little bothersome Gints like Span and Crawford and Pagan and Gillaspie who will make a difference on Wednesday. WTF, this team pissed me off royally for more than 2 months, and now they’ve got me going again. Champion blood.

8. PaulinAsia Banh Bao said, on October 4, 2016 at 7:37 am

Oh, and… yeah, Craig — Gibson, Rivera, and Koufax…. yow.

9. blade3colorado said, on October 4, 2016 at 7:40 am

Great synopsis of today’s Wild Card game Flavor (or is the game tomorrow??? It’s Tuesday night in Saigon). Just caught up with a couple of threads (always more enjoyable than ESPN or Fox Sports). Not going to comment about players, games, etc. Almost seems ludicrous when paying attention from afar. In short, the resident Flappers here who are commenting regularly – have the “pulse” of what’s what and what’s not.

Anyway, I have my fingers crossed for two things . . . Giants keep playing and Fox Asian Sports carries one of the early playoff games.

Tam-Biet 🙂

• PaulinAsia Banh Bao said, on October 4, 2016 at 7:47 am

It’s possible to still “pay attention from afar”… I’ve been doing it for 12 years. You just have to…. pay attention… 🙂

• PaulinAsia Banh Bao said, on October 4, 2016 at 7:48 am

Steve, the game is early Thursday morning VN time…..

• blade3colorado said, on October 4, 2016 at 8:08 am

I should have been more clear . . . Unless, I am watching each game, watching other MLB games, and actually have some “skin” in fantasy games (i.e., know what other players and teams are doing), then it just seems lame for ME to comment on specifics. Not saying you or anyone else can’t. In short, I gave up on this season about a week before I left for Asia (1st week in September). Just bailed.

. . . and I was wrong. Totally missed the resiliance of this team. Amazed that they are in the playoffs after the horrific 2nd half. Additionally, I read this stat this evening . . . Only the Cubs and Red Sox have given up fewer runs in the second half. In any event, hoping that the Giants continue to prove me wrong.

• chipower9 said, on October 4, 2016 at 1:52 pm

• PaulinAsia Banh Bao said, on October 4, 2016 at 8:21 am

Steve, I thought about that, those of you who play fantasy baseball definitely pay more attention. I don’t know if fantasy leagues continue in the post-season, do they? Haven’t heard you guys talk about it, so I think maybe not, so, yeah, less attention, I understand. There’s a bar here near Bitexco Tower called Game On that often has live international sports, but not sure if they’ll have that one. I’ll ask someone who knows and let you know. I’m in Vung Tau, so I won’t be there, but I’ll catch it somewhere here if I can… Not sure about Fox Sports Asia, maybe….

• Flavor said, on October 4, 2016 at 8:40 am

they do continue. Just with a much smaller slate. Tues/Wed leagues for 2 games. Lame but also not lame. Almost everyone who gets a hit, you have.

• djloo27 said, on October 4, 2016 at 9:13 am

Ironically, there might be more Asians living in Flushing, Queens than in Vung Tau…

10. Lurker John said, on October 4, 2016 at 7:44 am

Playing the Bobby Thomson card. I like it.

GO GIANTS!!

11. pawliekokonuts said, on October 4, 2016 at 8:15 am

10th Man? That’s Loo in full SF sartorial splendor.

12. unca_chuck said, on October 4, 2016 at 8:21 am

Yeah, the epic thing about Bummie is he could easily throw a 3 hit CG shutout and hit 2 bombs to boot.

Just carry the bitch right to Chicago all by himself. . . .

• PaulinAsia Banh Bao said, on October 4, 2016 at 8:29 am

Why not? That was only 2 years ago he did that in the playoffs. No one knows better how to win big games than he does. No one. If he comes out and blows a big awful snot of a game on Wednesday, I’ll be really pissed off and really surprised.

13. Flavor said, on October 4, 2016 at 8:49 am

I’m so jealous of Loo right now. And go orange streaks, my man. Go all the way.

• djloo27 said, on October 4, 2016 at 9:11 am

Nobody on the 7 train would even do a double take…

• PaulinAsia Banh Bao said, on October 4, 2016 at 9:22 am

Loo, I don’t know how techno savvy you are (this coming from a true luddite) but somehow you gotta video your entire Wed. evening, including the trip in on the 7 train….

• djloo27 said, on October 4, 2016 at 2:01 pm

I have a very minimal type phone, Paul but I’ll try to send some photos (if they’re worth sending) to the guys whose numbers I have. I wonder if you would find a video of my evening entertaining…

14. PaulinAsia Banh Bao said, on October 4, 2016 at 9:24 am

There are a few common denominators in all of the championship teams… Bochy, Bum, Cain (sort of but not really anymore), some of the relievers… but perhaps the most important has been Posey. I’ve been watching some old video of Giants’ championships past. 2014 game 7, that last out, the foul pop, that one moment when first Bum and then Posey glance toward each other while waiting for Pablo to catch that last out… thinking the same thing, “yeah, bitch, we’ve got this puppy AGAIN”… It’s not just Bum going on Wednesday, it’s that battery that has been the backbone of this team the past 7 years. Gotta be pretty rare, such a consistently successful battery over the years, with the corresponding rings. Bench and the Reds? Someone with the late ’90s Yanks? That’s been a pleasure to watch all these years.

• chipower9 said, on October 4, 2016 at 1:54 pm

Good call, Paul. Love it, brother!

15. unca_chuck said, on October 4, 2016 at 9:42 am

Thurman Munson springs to mind.

16. Flavor said, on October 4, 2016 at 10:08 am

Edd, if you are out there, you might be the only one who can create a gif of stoney eyed Stix nodding sideways. Please. I am begging you. Make it so.

17. PaulinAsia Banh Bao said, on October 4, 2016 at 10:09 am

Yeah, Munson. Maybe Molina too… Berra…

18. mrsprtdude said, on October 4, 2016 at 10:12 am

The most amazing WS winning team ever? 14 positio players. After Posey these position players must be the weakest winning team ever. AWESOME!!
    2010 official WS roster via baseball almanac. 2016 still? 6 still around now. Posey Mad Bum Romo only key guys.

Jeremy Affeldt
    Pat Burrell
    Cody Ross
    Aaron Rowand
    Nate Schierholtz
    Andres Torres

• snarkk said, on October 4, 2016 at 10:30 am

That 2010 squad had the best post season pitching since the 1970 or 71 Orioles, that was the difference maker…

• dirtnrocksnomo said, on October 4, 2016 at 10:37 am

Matt Cain with 1 ER over 21 post season innings in 2010. Stumpy Sanchez was pretty good too.

19. Flavor said, on October 4, 2016 at 11:35 am

• willedav said, on October 4, 2016 at 11:52 am

awesome sideburns tell you this was mid 70s. Pride of Wampum PA, no joke.
      Back to back 1.000 OPS seasons for Sox too. So much red in that uni almost looks like Phils one where he had bunch of nice years, tho not always a popular guy. Tough town.

• djloo27 said, on October 4, 2016 at 2:05 pm

One of my favorite non-Giants ever.
      People forget he had 2 brothers who also played in the majors.
      He liked the racetrack more than the ball field…

20. Flavor said, on October 4, 2016 at 11:40 am

• dirtnrocksnomo said, on October 4, 2016 at 11:48 am

BAHA! lulz

• sfsarge said, on October 4, 2016 at 3:00 pm

Speaking of favorite non-Giants, it’s Rickey all the way for me.

21. alleykat69 said, on October 4, 2016 at 11:52 am

You can never count out Javier Lopez as a key contributor. Yeah stat wise he’s having his worse year but who cares? The guy is a lucky charm and he’s going for 5 Rings( 1 Redsoxs 3 Giants) Drive for 5 is alive!!
    Most active ring collector in the Bigs after Jeter retired..

• willedav said, on October 4, 2016 at 11:57 am

I still have a lot of apprehension. If Giants were to lose Wed or get blasted by Cubs, I’d not forget second half.
      Lopez one of the guys who was disappointment, tho he has lot of company.
      Freaking Padres, btw finished dead last in NL West and lost 94 games. Only team in all baseball that lost more was the Twins (103). Giants beat these guys like a drum, then couldn’t at all after the break.

22. Bozo said, on October 4, 2016 at 12:12 pm

Bum needs to break out of his slump, he’s 0 for Playoffs hitting, he is way due to send one deep.

23. mrsprtdude said, on October 4, 2016 at 1:52 pm

NY game makes me nervous because MB hasn’t been on lately… If we make it to the Cubs Ilike our chances. We were very close in every game against them down the stretch. Bullpen issues killed us. If our hitters can get on a roll like this week and we can and will beat them

24. chipower9 said, on October 4, 2016 at 1:57 pm

Great thread, Flav. I am cautiously optimistic. I will definitely be in to work early tomorrow, so that I am home and ready to roll for the first pitch.

Just Win…

25. djloo27 said, on October 4, 2016 at 2:10 pm

Big debate with a few friends today. Let’s say you buy a ticket to a game for $ 300.00. Someone offers you $1,000.00 for it. You turn it down and go to the game. What did it cost you to see the game? Three people gave 3 different answers. I believe I have the correct one if you don’t get twisted by semantics…

• Bozo said, on October 4, 2016 at 2:20 pm

I would say it cost $300 and however many beers you drank, to go see the game. You would have made a $700 profit on your ticket purchase to not see the game but that would be a different question IMO.

• Bozo said, on October 4, 2016 at 2:24 pm

The first Opening Day at Pac Bell the offer for tickets was getting so large that I quit looking at them. In my mind I bought my seats to be able to see games like that, so I felt the cost to go to that game was the face value of the tickets. My ex wife however, felt it cost us a couple of grand that day.

• djloo27 said, on October 4, 2016 at 2:25 pm

Thank you, Bozo. I would like to see a bunch of answers if you guys can take a second…

• chipower9 said, on October 4, 2016 at 2:46 pm

I am with you on this one, John. And I didn’t even look at what tickets were going for on the initial Opening Day at Pac Bell, in 2000. Like you, I bought season tix so I could be there for those types of games.

And yes, costs is whatever you paid for the tickets, beers, grub, parking, etc. Not what you could have gotten for the tix…

• sfsarge said, on October 4, 2016 at 3:04 pm

I’m gonna say $300. That’s what you actually paid. I agree with Bozo, The potential profit is a different question.

26. unca_chuck said, on October 4, 2016 at 2:46 pm

Tell ya what. All is forgiven and forgotten in the 2nd half slump. Because we are IN the playoffs. St L ain’t bemoaning the fact the Giants staggered down the stretch. Or any other team on the outside looking in.

Especially if we beat the Mets.

$700.00 is the answer.

27. unca_chuck said, on October 4, 2016 at 2:49 pm

Sure, you paid $300 but you could have had $1000 in hand. So you gave up $700 to see it.

28. pawliekokonuts said, on October 4, 2016 at 2:59 pm

Who got 3 rings? Here’s my stab: Posey Lopez Romo Sandoval Casilla Cain Lincecum Affeldt . . . or is the list already posted? I get confused.

• unca_chuck said, on October 4, 2016 at 3:27 pm

You forgot Bummie.

• pawliekokonuts said, on October 4, 2016 at 7:15 pm

Gulp. My badness.

29. pawliekokonuts said, on October 4, 2016 at 3:00 pm

I am recklessly optimistic.

• djloo27 said, on October 4, 2016 at 3:05 pm

and Bum (as Zumie reminded me a few weeks ago when this came up)

30. unca_chuck said, on October 4, 2016 at 3:03 pm

I guess it’s a ‘glass half empty/glass half full’ kind of thing.

Cuz you can look at it either way. What you actually paid for the tix, or what you could have gotten minus the cost you paid.

31. djloo27 said, on October 4, 2016 at 3:19 pm

I had it explained to me in a way that convinced me there is a definitive answer and only one way to look at it…

32. unca_chuck said, on October 4, 2016 at 3:24 pm

Then it’s $700.00 . . .

33. unca_chuck said, on October 4, 2016 at 3:29 pm

How we gonna do tomorrow??

34. dirtnrocksnomo said, on October 4, 2016 at 4:13 pm

dj, the answer depends on whether your club won. No?

• djloo27 said, on October 4, 2016 at 4:29 pm

35. zumiee said, on October 4, 2016 at 5:00 pm

I look at it like, if you sell off a hot ticket to something very special, whatever profit you get just gets used up and forgotten. Whereas, keeping the ticket and going to the event is a lifetime memory. Granted, at some point, if the asking price gets TOO insanely high to ignore, then that’s a different story. That makes for a tougher decision.

• djloo27 said, on October 4, 2016 at 5:11 pm

But Zumie, it’s a math question. The answer has nothing to do with the experience or the memory associated with it. The question is: What did it cost you to attend the game?

• zumiee said, on October 4, 2016 at 5:47 pm

Well, if I wanted to get metaphysical, I would say that the memory of the event has a value, and if someone wanted to put a dollar value on that memory, then that needs to be factored into the math problem. 🙂 In some science fiction movies, people pay money to have certain memories implanted into their brain.

• Macdog said, on October 4, 2016 at 5:49 pm

Buddy from Panik day is going to the game. I didn’t ask him such metaphysical questions.

36. zumiee said, on October 4, 2016 at 5:03 pm

A lot of pundits on the MLB Network are saying that all the other playoff teams are hoping the Mets win. None of them want to face the Giants, because of the Giants’ starting pitching depth and overall playoff experience of the team. The pundits are saying if the Giants can get past the Mets, they have as good a chance as anyone to completely run the table.

37. sandog said, on October 4, 2016 at 5:43 pm

$1,000

• djloo27 said, on October 4, 2016 at 5:47 pm

WINNER!

• sandog said, on October 4, 2016 at 5:48 pm

The $300 you paid plus the $700 you left on the table.
      Looking forward to hear other takes on this. Every Flapper must weigh in!

• djloo27 said, on October 4, 2016 at 5:52 pm

Most people say $300.00. I did at first also. I had to have it explained to me in a childlike way for it to sink in…

38. sandog said, on October 4, 2016 at 5:52 pm

MIchael Bourne is on the Orioles and is starting a winner take all game for them???

• zumiee said, on October 4, 2016 at 6:00 pm

I wouldn’t necessarily rate him all that much lower than Conner G-man. But the G-man did win a lot of points with the hot bat the last week of the season and that diving catch into the camera pit.

39. sandog said, on October 4, 2016 at 5:58 pm

Let’s say you sold your ticket for a tidy profit and went and watched the game somewhere highly enjoyable. (For me, that would be by myself, at home). What would bug you (and by you, I mean all of you) the most; the fact that you didn’t get to see the game in person OR the fact that you wouldn’t be able to tell people “I was there.”

• sandog said, on October 4, 2016 at 6:01 pm

For me, the latter is usually the true answer. I try to not let that influence me when it comes to attending events, but it is a struggle.

• djloo27 said, on October 4, 2016 at 6:12 pm

Missing it would bug me more – especially in this case – such a rare opportunity for a NY based Giant fan.
        Anybody can say they were there…so many people do.
        I wish I would’ve had the energy to go to GNR with you and MD…

• Irish Kevin said, on October 4, 2016 at 6:18 pm

I was there.

• zumiee said, on October 4, 2016 at 6:07 pm

The special-ness of not being there would be lost. I think of Pawlie weeping at the end of Game 1 of the ’12 World Series after he was part of that experience with other Giants fans in the bleachers. Pawlie paid a fair amount of money to get to that game, but what Giants fan wouldn’t want to have his Game 1 memories? I’ve read “World Serious” several times, and I get goose-bumps every time he cries at the end of it. He couldn’t physically hold in any more emotion from the event. I’ve never been to a sporting event of that magnitude in person, but I’ve been to some amazing concerts that I still get goose-bumps when I think about them. They are such hugely important memories to me.

• djloo27 said, on October 4, 2016 at 6:20 pm

Right on the button, Zum. Saw the Rangers win the Cup at MSG in ’94 with one of my best friends who passed away at 51 in 2009. Ever since, when I go to Ranger games I have a little breakdown during the National Anthem. I might’ve missed the point…

• sfsarge said, on October 4, 2016 at 6:34 pm

Well there is the I was there factor. But there’s no denying for me watching at home on my big screen HDTV certainly has its own advantages. No crowds and for what I would pay for one beer I could almost buy a 12er of my favorite. And if I get a 22 of a craft brew at the phone company park, then I most certainly could buy a case and have some change left.

• sfsarge said, on October 4, 2016 at 6:39 pm

But then there is the experience of being there. I was at a bar with a few hundred other Giants fans for the game 5 in Cincinnati. When Buster hit that grand slam, that place became unhinged. And watching Romo closing it out was way more intense on a projector screen surrounded by 100s of strangers. So there is also that

40. sandog said, on October 4, 2016 at 6:09 pm

DId he say “Norwood” University?

41. Irish Kevin said, on October 4, 2016 at 6:24 pm

I was listening to Sports 1140 here in Sactown, MLB guy picked the Giants to beat the Mets. He said that the starting pitcher for the Mets was the 4th starter when the season began, and of course he pointed out Madbums 7-0 record in the postseason. He also said if he was Botch he would not allow anyone from the Giants bullpen to step out on to the field. He called the Giants bullpen their Achilles heel! He said the score in the 9th would have to be 8-0 before bringing someone in from the bullpen.

42. Macdog said, on October 4, 2016 at 6:30 pm

Answer should be $400 profit. Pay $300. Sell for $1000. Buy another ticket for $300.

• djloo27 said, on October 4, 2016 at 6:46 pm

In this scenario, going to the game cost you $300.00 because if you sold the ticket for $1,000.00 and stayed home you would have made $700.00 instead of $400.00.

43. Flavor said, on October 4, 2016 at 6:48 pm

you said “what would it cost you?” and to me there’s unrealized profit there so you can’t factor in the $1000 as *cost*. So I am going with $300 as a couple of other guys did.

• djloo27 said, on October 4, 2016 at 6:56 pm

That’s what I thought, too at first. But what was hammered into me eventually is that at the end of the day you would have $1,000.00 more if you didn’t go. So basically going to the game costs whatever you could’ve gotten for the ticket, not what you paid for it. I was swayed. Others weren’t. Killed some time…

• djloo27 said, on October 4, 2016 at 6:59 pm

They kept saying not to get hung up on the word “cost”. It’s just the difference in the money you would have if you went or not…

44. alleykat69 said, on October 4, 2016 at 6:57 pm

Never really got the half full/ half empty glass scenario with people?
    I always say it’s refillable🍷

45. djloo27 said, on October 4, 2016 at 7:03 pm

The AL game is unwatchable for me…

• Flavor said, on October 4, 2016 at 7:10 pm

i can’t get over how often these hitters, on both sides, strike out. They’ve been swinging like this since the first inning. It’s unreal they all swing for the fences on every swing.

• Macdog said, on October 4, 2016 at 7:13 pm

I guess the Rangers-Isles preseason tilt is over?

• djloo27 said, on October 4, 2016 at 8:03 pm

AL game has gotten interesting…

46. pawliekokonuts said, on October 4, 2016 at 7:20 pm

zumieeeee,
    Thank you very much for your 6:07, and sincere public thanks for your buying CHASING WILLIE MAYS (thanks to Magnus too, and anyone else). Even Creators, the publisher, was surprised hahahaha.

47. wilcojoe said, on October 4, 2016 at 7:24 pm

The answer is easy for me. If my team won I paid $300. If we lost, I paid $1000.

48. pawliekokonuts said, on October 4, 2016 at 7:26 pm

Moments ago, I watched a bunch of video clips from Sunday. I feel humbled by Vin Scully. He is the polar opposite of everything wrong about our country now. He is civil, tolerant, smart, affable, grateful, gracious, right-sized, articulate, fair. I feel a bit ashamed I did not listen to him more, though that is still possible, given today’s technology. There aren’t many who are more of a gentleman, by all evidence. Incidentally, did you see that blue and white Giants hat from the Thirties and early Forties?! Wow. Plus, did you hear him say that now that he’s retired he can root for the Giants against the Mets?!? #goodomen

• wilcojoe said, on October 4, 2016 at 7:45 pm

Pawlie, if you haven’t seen it yet, check out the video on MLB.com from Sunday’s game. Scully tells the story of how he became a baseball fan (hint: the Giants were involved) but I won’t spoil it for you. Be prepared to watch with a box of tissues by your side. I know I had to.

• pawliekokonuts said, on October 4, 2016 at 7:48 pm

I did see that. It is quite wonderful, and until I had watched it I was unaware of all that.

49. pawliekokonuts said, on October 4, 2016 at 7:29 pm

I am avoiding Loo’s math question because I confess I don’t even understand it. The only F I ever got was in statistics (though this is Simple Quantum Metaphysical Emotive Aromatic Arithmetic).

50. pawliekokonuts said, on October 4, 2016 at 7:32 pm

Wouldn’t it be cool if a Giants playoff run drew back Ferret, Tedspe, mrmrmrmr, edd, Twinfan, and a dozen others? (I know, always clutching the ghost of the sentimental past, unlike Magnus’s Thoroughbred Fan Theory.)

51. wilcojoe said, on October 4, 2016 at 7:40 pm

Being a diehard Texas Longhorn alum, I went to the National Championship game against USC in 2006 at the Rose Bowl. Unequivocaly the greatest national championship game of all time. I had $1000 in my wallet and I still couldn’t manage to buy a ticket even fifteen minutes into the game. I have been to some big sporting events and nothing compared to this. I still won’t forget I was ready to hand over every cent I had for an endzone seat when some dude came up and offered $1200. What few sellers were there, were getting bids like a fucking Sotheby’s auction.

I ended up watching the game from the parking lot on a big screen tv in the back of some USC fans Escalade. There must have been 50 of us, fans of both teams, shut out of the game of the century, huddled together in front of that television. It was an absolute blast and it didn’t cost me a dime. Best $1000 I never spent.

• pawliekokonuts said, on October 4, 2016 at 7:57 pm

That is a great story. I had this little debate with my friend Jacob, Mets fan. We were going to go tomorrow to Citi. We went in April to the game with the 12-run inning. (For a host of reasons, we will watch the game Wednesday night at his house, with his wife, with Steve, who is another Mets buddy, and my youngest daughter, Giants partisan.) Jacob could not abide the thought of going to the perimeter of Citi Field and mixing it up with like-minded zealots. Many don’t get that. That’s cool. To them, it’s like going to a strip club. Why bother? (It’s an analogy I evoked hahaha.) But wilcojoe illustrated the same concept and how it worked for him. Hard to explain. But I get it. I also TOTALLY get an impulse buy of $800. go figure. Literally. (Uh-oh. Metaphysical Math 101.)

• sfsarge said, on October 4, 2016 at 8:09 pm

That’s an awesome story Wilco.

• wilcojoe said, on October 4, 2016 at 8:12 pm

Thanks Sarge! I read your post on Friday. Glad to hear things are going better for you.

52. wilcojoe said, on October 4, 2016 at 7:54 pm

Here is the video of Scully discussing how he became a baseball fan.

• pawliekokonuts said, on October 4, 2016 at 8:04 pm

Tnx. I had seen a different version, pre-produced with old footage. Brilliant. I HAVE TO find a way to get Mr. Scully CHASING WILLIE MAYS. I have no doubt that he’d like it, and that I’d get a thank you from him.

• wilcojoe said, on October 4, 2016 at 8:10 pm

I know he would. You need to make that happen, somehow, someway.

53. wilcojoe said, on October 4, 2016 at 8:18 pm

I figured tonight’s game would be a high scoring affair. Which means tomorrow’s game will be a slug fest.

54. djloo27 said, on October 4, 2016 at 8:27 pm

Supposed to be ideal weather here tomorrow…

55. unca_chuck said, on October 4, 2016 at 8:32 pm

There’s got to be 42 Ks between these two teams.

56. unca_chuck said, on October 4, 2016 at 8:34 pm

Do I get credit for being the wrongest?

(I always fucking hated word problems)

57. Macdog said, on October 4, 2016 at 8:34 pm

Ed-WIN!

• pawliekokonuts said, on October 4, 2016 at 8:55 pm

You are the HedMan!

58. willedav said, on October 4, 2016 at 8:35 pm

I know it’s just a preseason exhibition, but watching GS blow out the Clips by 27 with 5 minutes left in first half is awesome.
    At one point Durant was being guarded by Blake Griffin, and faced him up jab step J right in his face.

59. alleykat69 said, on October 4, 2016 at 8:38 pm

Damm if your gonna win in extras do it with a blast!
    Not as big as Joe Carter’s epic Walkoff W/S to end that one, but still impressive..

60. Flavor said, on October 4, 2016 at 8:56 pm

And Britton just dies unused on the bench. When Ubaldo came in I knew it was over. AL managers are so fucking stupid. Zach is lights out. A free shut down inning, maybe 2. He brings in literally every pitcher BUT him. Lol. Save him for the plane ride home, dumbass.

• zumiee said, on October 4, 2016 at 9:10 pm

That dude was killer against the Giants.

• sandog said, on October 4, 2016 at 9:10 pm

He has a philosophy that he sticks to whether its game 1 of the season or Game 7 of the Worls Series. It didn’t work out this time, but he did it his way. I give the guy credit for sticking to his guns.

61. snarkk said, on October 4, 2016 at 9:18 pm

NBA preseason games are even more useless than NFL, but Dubs are pounding Clipa by 50 in 3rd Q. Barring injury Dubs are going to be fun to watch; unlike rest of NBA….

62. snarkk said, on October 4, 2016 at 9:21 pm

ZaZa Petulia sounds like some eastern Euro fashion model that Trump banged in the 90s…

63. mrsprtdude said, on October 4, 2016 at 10:09 pm

Cost vs opportunity cost is the way to look at any investment.
    Re Scully. Planned my day around listening to his last broadcast. He is amazing. All the attributes listed above and more. His graciousness to the Giants for hosting his family, to his appreciation for the plaque attached permanently to the wall in the visiting booth. All the stories, him even singing take me out to the ball game. As a life long baseball fan I miss him already…I’m appreciative of the Giants for winning easily, so he had more time for reminiscing about the history of baseball, the rivalry, and his love of the game..

64. snarkk said, on October 4, 2016 at 11:41 pm

Showalter leaving Britton in the Pen while losing the game is as boneheaded as Bochy bringing in Casilla in the 9th the last few times he did. Let’s hope that doesn’t happen tomorrow. If I were Bochy, I’d leave Casilla off the roster so as not to be tempted to rehab his psyche in the bottom of the 9th of a WC game with a one run lead…

65. snarkk said, on October 5, 2016 at 6:21 pm

This one looks like a dinger may decide it. Hope it’s Giants. Got my pint of Evil Twin fired up here at the pub, hunkered down for a Giants breakout…