Addressing This Mess

Posted in Uncategorized by Flavor on October 13, 2016

24 hours later, I am looking at this a little more rationally. Jettisoning the entire bullpen is probably not going to happen. Even though part of me still wants to see them all erased from the planet. Before we get started, here is the contract situation for everyone going forward:

Realistically, who stays and who goes? Romo, Casilla and Lopez are all coming off the books. Fun fact: That trio made a cool 21 million in 2016. Gnaw on that as you commute to work today. I will assume Evans isn’t insane and won’t bring any of these 3 back. They are all DONE as major league players. I don’t care what Casilla says or how bendy Romo’s slider can still get on occasion. All 3, ba-bye.

3 guys who will be back: That fucking lefty reliever, Kontos, Strickland. They are all arb eligible through 2019 (at least), they all have good stuff, they have all been successful at different points in the season. And we paid up the ass for TFLR so as ant-small as he usually comes up, he ain’t going anywhere. And maybe Strickland takes some anti-stupid pills this off season. He dumb.

Law: Obviously stays, will probably be the 8th inning set up guy.

Okert, Osich and Gearrin: I could see the first 2 guys coming back, not the 3rd. The first 2 are young, controllable with great stuff. That has a place in anyone’s bullpen. Gearrin was never one of “my guys” and I hope he’s gone.

That leaves 2 spots, at least, for Evans to go both fists into the free agent market for a closer and another stud set up guy. He cannot half ass his way through this. Or it will be his full ass having to answer to the fan base. Someone needs to be held accountable for this absolutely shitly constructed bullpen and I put that squarely on Evans and Sabean. They have to fix this.

Matt Cain makes 40 mill over the next 2 seasons if that does anything for ya. If you go back and look at the contracts Timmy and Cain got and look at their production post-deal you can see clearly how much more productive Barry Zito was > both of them during his time here…..

1. unca_chuck said, on October 13, 2016 at 9:27 pm

Werth should have bunted down the 3rd bas line his last AB. Woulda been an easy score.

2. blade3colorado said, on October 13, 2016 at 9:28 pm

Harper needs to STEAL.

3. blade3colorado said, on October 13, 2016 at 9:28 pm

FUCKING TAKE OVER THIS GAME A LA WILLIE MAYS!

4. blade3colorado said, on October 13, 2016 at 9:34 pm

Please Universe, God, Buddha, or whomever is in control . . . Let Opie face plant here!

5. unca_chuck said, on October 13, 2016 at 9:34 pm

Huckleberry Hound coming in . . . How crazy would it be for him to come in and blow the save?

6. Macdog said, on October 13, 2016 at 9:43 pm

Nats blow.

7. unca_chuck said, on October 13, 2016 at 9:47 pm

Somewhere I hope Rooster is choking on his dinner.

• theroooster said, on October 13, 2016 at 10:34 pm

Whooop! That was a great game. NL ball blows doors on the AL.

8. unca_chuck said, on October 13, 2016 at 9:47 pm

Go Cubs!

9. unca_chuck said, on October 13, 2016 at 9:48 pm

Dusty must have watched our game and thought, how can i recreate that?

10. djloo27 said, on October 13, 2016 at 9:48 pm

Is this one on Dusty? (loser of 9 consecutive potential series clinching games according to the announcer)

• unca_chuck said, on October 13, 2016 at 10:00 pm

Ouch! You were dogging him the most tonight. I think you answered your own question.

11. alleykat69 said, on October 13, 2016 at 9:50 pm

Fuck the Dodgers
    Fuck the Nationals as well!
    Baker got Bochy disease throwing 17 pitchers in 1 inning ! Wtf is wrong with these managers?

12. willedav said, on October 13, 2016 at 9:51 pm

I knew this was unwatchable…like the next series, and the one after that.

• James said, on October 13, 2016 at 9:53 pm

Go Blue Jays!

13. alleykat69 said, on October 13, 2016 at 9:55 pm

My dream scenario now is Cubs and Indians in the World Series and the tribe scalps the Cubs in 4 to really make them feel like losers as their streak reaches 109 years and counting!!

• djloo27 said, on October 13, 2016 at 9:57 pm

I’m with you, Kat…

• James said, on October 13, 2016 at 10:08 pm

I’d be with you, if it weren’t for the Ohio polls.

• blade3colorado said, on October 13, 2016 at 10:20 pm

My scenario as well. Go Indians!

14. zumiee said, on October 13, 2016 at 9:57 pm

Nats had their chances; but in the final analysis, they’re the Nats.

• djloo27 said, on October 13, 2016 at 10:01 pm

Actually, they’re the Expos…

15. snarkk said, on October 13, 2016 at 10:13 pm

Giants screwed up so much in the second half, they had to fire the 3rd AND 1st base coaches to cover Bochy’s ass. Kelly I get, but what did Hayes do or not do that deserved a firing? He took the hitter’s elbow pad away incorrectly? And, Bam Bam gets a pass for hitting coach of one of the worst offensive teams in baseball?…

• djloo27 said, on October 13, 2016 at 10:18 pm

They’ll probably give Bam Bam credit for Gillaspie and blame the hitting woes on age, injury and the ballpark…

• James said, on October 13, 2016 at 10:18 pm

Belt must have lobbied for Hayes’ canning.

• djloo27 said, on October 13, 2016 at 10:21 pm

I think I read somewhere that Belt lost 7 homers in triples alley this season…

• James said, on October 13, 2016 at 10:35 pm

Hensley keeps telling him to go up the middle. The poor goober can’t tell which coach is screwing him over more.

16. alleykat69 said, on October 13, 2016 at 10:34 pm

No worries about our new 1st base coach, “Eli Whiteside” will carry the torch passed on by Billy all hold your shin guard Hayes..

17. PaulinAsia Banh Bao said, on October 13, 2016 at 10:44 pm

Firing the 2 coaches happened quickly, I didn’t think any changes would be made until after the Series. Makes me wonder what other shoes are going to drop.

18. djloo27 said, on October 13, 2016 at 10:49 pm

I’m would think about offering the Pirates Belt, Span and Brown for McCutcheon, Cervelli and cash considerations. Maybe throw in Panik for Josh Harrison to balance out the salaries a little better…

• blade3colorado said, on October 13, 2016 at 11:46 pm

Down with that deal. McCutcheon had a terrible season, but it is hard for me to believe he wont come back next season. With Cervelli, I take it Loo you are for Posey moving to 1st, correct? I’m on record as wanting that.

19. mrsprtdude said, on October 13, 2016 at 10:58 pm

I hate it but in close games the Freaking Dodgers find a way to win. The Murphy Opie battle was great playoff battle ruined by Murphy pop up. The announcers went on endlessly about how slow jansen is to the plate and yet harper stayed put. 8th inning leadoff batter too. Harper was a disappointment. Why couldn’t he hit like he did against us in 14??

20. PaulinAsia Banh Bao said, on October 13, 2016 at 10:58 pm

I wouldn’t really like to see the likes of Belt and Panik traded, but at this point, I doubt there are really any “untouchables” on the team other than MadBum, so most players on the roster could well be trade material — IF any team asks about them and can give us something we need. I’m afraid we’re stuck with Span, can’t see anyone trading for him, and some of the players probably have salary issues that would not be attractive. I just don’t see them making a blockbuster trade, but that would certainly shake things up. Really hoping they just don’t tinker with minor additions. As alluded to here on the Flap by several Flappers, there are a few very key needs (closer, relievers, OF power hitter) that need to be done right.

21. eddacker said, on October 14, 2016 at 1:33 am

I read where Crawford had gotten hit by a thrown ball at third base and it hit his elbow. It was said that if the game 4 NLDS had been a regular season game he would have sat it out to recover from the injury. That may have been the reason for his poor throws.

I would like to see some improvement in bench strength. And as good as Belt is at seeing balls and strikes he needs to learn to see “pitch I can hit”.

With rags and Bruce and the availables we should be able to rebuild the bull pen. That leaves a genuine offensive Giant as the most difficult improvement this off season.

Another option is Theo meets with an ‘accident’ and the cubs are taken out of the mix. I see it in the movies all the time.

• zumiee said, on October 14, 2016 at 8:26 am

Good point about Craw’s elbow; I’d forgotten about that.