Rain

Posted in Uncategorized by Flavor on October 14, 2016

The lead story on KTVU this morning is the rain that’s coming through the Bay Area today. It’s not very much rain. But that’s the lead story.

And there’s an AL game tonight if that does anything for ya.

It’s hard for me to really start gearing up for next season, but I was kicking around the prospects of the 3 available stud closers. Seems like a no brainer right? The Giants won’t sign Chapman because he’s a lunatic, they won’t sign Jansen because the Art Dealers wouldn’t ever let that happen. That leaves Melancon unless I’m missing something.

I’ll watch the rest of the post season because I like some of the Indians hitters and can get behind rooting for them a little bit. I was fine with the Nats getting eliminated. I don’t like most of the Nats players or Dusty. Dusty is great at connecting to the players but he’s pretty lame as a tactician and he lost another series last night. He seems to have lost most of his edge anyway. Harper can now spend the off season sculpting his hairdo.

Cubs should smash the Dodgers, that will be fun to watch……

1. gianthead said, on October 14, 2016 at 6:27 am

I’ll be shocked if the Cubs dont win in 5. Thoroughly the better team.

The mention of trading Span had me laughing. There was a reason no one signed him last year and no one is going to pick up his last two years at $11 mill/year.

I am in the camp that we dont need a lot of changes. One closer, one hitter. If McCutchen is available trade deadline, I would be down with that addition.

I think we go in on Chapman and Jansen at least to drive the price up for the Fodgers and Schlubs. Melancon would be a good acquisition.

• chipower9 said, on October 14, 2016 at 7:07 am

Agree on all points, G-Head. You’re pretty bright for a lobbyist. 😉 Just messing with ya, brother. So, who are your sons rooting for? That was pretty fucking hilarious yesterday the story you told…I am still lqtm.

• gianthead said, on October 14, 2016 at 9:51 am

Littlest bastard happy to see (actually he had to hear about when we all woke up late because poor wife sick as a dog, so I was supposed to get them all up around 6 am, my 10 year old comes in about 7:05 to wake me up – I completely forgot about the game as I turned in early knowing had to wake up and deal with the rabble and instead woke up around 12:45 and unbeknownst to me the Nats game was still in the bottom of the 9th so I was shocked to hear my phone ring that the game just ended) the Nats lose.

But we are rooting Cubs hard for this round. I am down with the Alleykat strategy then to root for the Indians in the WS and prolong the Chicago misery .

2. gianthead said, on October 14, 2016 at 6:29 am

Here is a good question, would you rather have Giants beat the Cubs but then lose to the Fodgers for the Pennant or Giants lose to Cubs and Cubs stomp on Fodgers????

• chipower9 said, on October 14, 2016 at 7:05 am

I have to go Giants lose to Cubs and Cubs stomp the bambinos. I just could not handle losing the NLCS to the fucking bums. All hypothetical…and probably best (as Flav alluded in the previous thread) that it all ended the way it did. I could not see our boys going deep with that bullpen.

• gianthead said, on October 14, 2016 at 9:53 am

I think I am with you Chi…part of me wants to have Bum retire with all the WS pitching records unapproachable…

3. chipower9 said, on October 14, 2016 at 7:07 am

Giants had ten straight elimination wins with Bochy before the meltdown the other night.

Dusty now has nine consecutive elimination game losses. Anyone else see a trend here?

I am with ya Flav. There really are no players on the Nats that I particularly care for, but I was pulling for them to beat the dealers. But if the Cubbies can do their thing and eliminate the dealers, that will be sweet, as the dealers will have been that much closer to returning to the World Series, and failed.

Hard for me to get wound-up for this post-season since we were eliminated, but I am pulling for a Cubbie-Indians series, and of course, go Cubs (got to go Senior Circuit).

4. djloo27 said, on October 14, 2016 at 7:42 am

I think we might need a “clear out the stench” type off-season like after 2002…

5. djloo27 said, on October 14, 2016 at 8:19 am

Viet-Blade: I am now firmly in the Posey to first camp and I think some team with a friendly ballpark would give us a nice return for Belt in anticipation of a breakout 35/110 season…

• gianthead said, on October 14, 2016 at 9:57 am

Or we could trade the most valuable non-Bum in Posey and get the hefftiest return:)

What if the Braves came calling and willing to take Belt and Span with Posey as well and they give us Freeman, Inciarte and 4 of their top prospects??? What say you DracuLoo???

• djloo27 said, on October 14, 2016 at 10:32 am

I’d love to have Freeman but Posey is never going anywhere…

6. willedav said, on October 14, 2016 at 8:22 am

Done with baseball, playoffs esp NL unwatchable.

While I won’t be able to watch Sunday either, time for Loo’s boys Alex and the Arrowheads to tcb and knock off Raiders now that Denver has lost again.

I used to work with die hard Raiders fan during the Marty era (Andre Bad Moon Rison my hero) when he owned them. Monday’s we’d draw Arrowheads on the message board and tell him it stays up til silver and smack beat them.

• djloo27 said, on October 14, 2016 at 9:50 am

Yeah! You know San Dawg’s a Chief fan, too. Knows his history…

7. Lurker John said, on October 14, 2016 at 8:30 am

Watching Melancon last night, he comes in and throws strikes, which we desperately need, and he has good stuff. Not overpoweringly high velocity, but 93-95 mph that he spots well, and a good secondary pitch. Since he was doing it in a pressure cooker of a game, I’m assuming he’ll be good in the regular season too, The only caveat is that he’ll be 32 next season. Other than that, I like him.

8. unca_chuck said, on October 14, 2016 at 9:20 am

Raiders at home vs KC is just like the good old days of Otis Taylor and Jan Stenerud. Lenny Dawson and George Blanda. Those games were always a kick in the ass. This is a game that will really say something about whether the Raiders are real or not. They have a tendency to come up small when the situation demands bigness.

9. mrsprtdude said, on October 14, 2016 at 9:31 am

Trading Belt not going to happen because Posey has said repeatedly that he is not ready to move to 1st. The Giants like him, as they just signed him to a long term deal. He is not perfect, but not the main problem either…

• djloo27 said, on October 14, 2016 at 9:52 am

When did he last say it and who put him in charge?

• gianthead said, on October 14, 2016 at 10:00 am

Sportsdude, dont give them reality….

• djloo27 said, on October 14, 2016 at 10:36 am

We all know these trade proposals aren’t happening, but it’s kind of fun to concoct them and besides what the fuck else is there to talk about especially when a season ends the way it did for us?

10. Flavor said, on October 14, 2016 at 10:18 am

no one is going to trade for Posey. He’s on the downside of his career and he makes 21 mil a year through ’21. He is completely and utterly untradeable. He is worth more to us than he ever could be to anyone else.

• chipower9 said, on October 14, 2016 at 10:33 am

Fact. Anyone thinks differently, I will buy you lunch and a beer the day we trade Posey.

11. djloo27 said, on October 14, 2016 at 10:40 am

NBA and NHL trades are almost completely tied to salary and cap space. NFL trades are almost non-existent.
    Baseball trades are more about the haves and have-nots – the spenders and the cheapos getting together…

12. djloo27 said, on October 14, 2016 at 10:50 am

Mr. & Mrs. Posey may one day decide that Buster needs to be able to play with his young children before his body is completely broken down and his brains are scrambled from too many 100 mph foul tips off the mask.
    Giant management, which I would think has a say in it as his boss, might decide that he can go 25/95 at first base instead of 15/70 at catcher…

13. sandog said, on October 14, 2016 at 11:34 am

Flav, I hope you are right about the Cubs handling the Dodgers. I didn’t watch any of the game last night. The pain of seeing the Dodgers win far outweighs the joy of seeing them lose, so I don’t watch. Same applies to the Cubs series. The AL series I will watch as I have always pulled for the Tribe and I like the way Francona manages.
    I’m impressed the Giants quickly pulled the trigger on R Kelly and Hayes. Classy that they waited until the season was over. Many organizations would not have done that with Kelly.

14. zumiee said, on October 14, 2016 at 11:51 am

Nate Silver’s blog gives these percentages to the four remaining teams:
    Chance of winning the World Series-
    Cubs 40%
    Blue Jays 24%
    Dodgers 19%
    Cleveland 17%

His numbers for the election:
    He has Hillary currently with an 85% chance of winning.

• sandog said, on October 14, 2016 at 12:10 pm

Those numbers look pretty accurate to me.
      Zum–you know a band named “Allah-Las?” My son has seen them before at Hardly/Strictly, so I think you may know them. He and I saw them in downtown LA last weekend and I thought they were great. They have stood out to me in the past when he is playing “his” music around me, so I went to the show with him. Cool, old place downtown called The Regent.

15. djloo27 said, on October 14, 2016 at 12:47 pm

What kind of odds can I get on Trump?

• sandog said, on October 14, 2016 at 12:50 pm

I’ll give you 10/1. He’s gonna get annihilated.

• unca_chuck said, on October 14, 2016 at 2:50 pm

On Trump what? Bursting into flames? He has a better chance of spontaneously combusting than he does at winning.

16. sandog said, on October 14, 2016 at 2:21 pm

Trevor Bauer has to skip his scheduled start because he badly cut his pinky on his right hand while playing with a drone! I guess he is into drones and the propeller cut his finger. I love it!

17. unca_chuck said, on October 14, 2016 at 2:52 pm

He/s lucky he didn’t pull a Jason Pierre-Paul.

Or put his eye out. Somewhere Jeremy Affeldt is laughing.

Terry Francona’s take:

“It’s pretty self-explanatory. We’ve all, at some point, had a drone-related problem.”

Too funny . . .

18. unca_chuck said, on October 14, 2016 at 2:55 pm

I think we would have taken the Dodgers. We beat their big 3 to close the season pretty handily. Caertainly our SP can take down just about anyone.

19. zumiee said, on October 14, 2016 at 3:36 pm

Dawg, I’d never heard of them, but listening to them online, they are totally in my musical wheelhouse. And it’s heartening to hear that there are young people that are embracing this kind of music still.

20. zumiee said, on October 14, 2016 at 3:49 pm

As the Trump-tanic campaign sinks further, let’s try to fathom this quote from Rush Limbaugh yesterday. He found a way to be even more ignorant and evil.
    Limbaugh: “The Left hears there is no consent, and they want to call the rape-police.
    ‘Consent’ is the magic word to them.”

There are people that listen to his radio show 3 hours a day, 5 days a week. And some have been listening for over 30 years. He’s helped poison a whole lot of people, by making them even more ignorant, and more heartless, and dangerous. The logical outcome of that is the Trump candidacy.

• zumiee said, on October 14, 2016 at 3:55 pm

Fortunately his campaign has fallen apart. Hillary just needs to avoid any kind of major mistake in the next 25 days. I know, never a sure thing with the Clintons. They have the ability to do some really dumb stuff.

21. zumiee said, on October 14, 2016 at 5:28 pm

I would never pull for the Dodgers over the Cubs in this series, but I tell ya; I’m getting pretty tired of the media love affair with the Cubs. The one nice thing is one of these two teams and their fan bases are going to have a disappointing end to this series. The bad thing is one of the teams and their fan base are getting a World Series appearance. This will be one of the rare times I ever pull for the AL in the World Series, I think. Although….I hate that Cleveland racist logo. That’s going to be a problem for me…..

22. alleykat69 said, on October 14, 2016 at 5:51 pm

This is “OneFlapdown”
    “A SAN FRANCISCO GIANTS BLOG”
    And “EVERY FELLOW FLAPPER” have to be united as one ☝️ that the Los Angeles Dodgers ( god it hurts me to even mention their name)”NEVER EVER WIN A WORLD SERIES WHILE THIS FANTASTIC BLOG SITE EXHIST”

23. Macdog said, on October 14, 2016 at 7:55 pm

Good start for the Tribe.

24. djloo27 said, on October 14, 2016 at 7:55 pm

Is it possible that a Dodger WS win would be good for the Giants?
    Do you know what I mean?

• Macdog said, on October 14, 2016 at 7:56 pm

Not really.

• alleykat69 said, on October 14, 2016 at 8:05 pm

A Dodger World Series win?
      No I don’t know what you mean?
      But I always did like the song “Do you know what I mean” by Lee Michaels back in 71🎹🎼

• James said, on October 14, 2016 at 8:11 pm

“It’s been 14 days since I don’t know when”

25. unca_chuck said, on October 14, 2016 at 9:49 pm

Couldn’t place the song till I read that line, James! Love it

And No, the Dodgers winning the world series will not help the Giants. Not the fans anyway. Not sure how it would help the Giants. Unless you are going with the ‘light a fire under their ass’ aspect. But that should always be there.

26. eddacker said, on October 15, 2016 at 12:19 am

The slight rain today shut my whole town down. PG&E explains it as settled dust during the dry days turning to high conductivity mud by adding water. There followed a transformer explosion That cut power (4+ hours) to half the area including the downtown business district and my neighborhood. Luckily I have a battery powered radio to listen to day games. wait . . .

It is starting to sink in, no more baseball. And for that matter too few day games, too.

You know, the fact that I think day games are cool remind me of the times we live in. Before I die it is very likely that I will have seen the glory of the hot rod / muscle car era become the day when no purely combustion engine passenger cars are built anymore.

Surprisingly the Giants are the poorest performing team from the 2016 p0layoffs and yet, not one of the other teams were not a little bit worried about this team making a run, putting together some EYB. And that comes, I believe, from the heart, soul and clubhouse intangibles of team play so embedded in our Gmen DNA.

I have no idea if the FO efforts of maintaining that mojo affects the work required to accomplish meaningful trades and FA pickups. I do know the players like Crawford, Panik, Belt, Posey, Pence and MadBum help me to identify as a fan and to boast that these Giants are my team.

So put me down as a Jansen acquirer; he looks so unhappy in blue. Lets bring him home.