Finding Meaning in the Remnants

Posted in Uncategorized by Flavor on October 15, 2016

I grinded through that AL game last night. Zumiee is right, that logo is just awful. It’s like they intended to go out and be as racist as they could possibly be. Regarding the Cubs, I don’t like them much either the way the media is fawning over them. But they fawn over Kershaw 10 times harder, I’ve actually never seen such adoration of a sports figure before (from the media).

I support the Dodgers getting kicked out of the post season at any point so I will be rooting for the Cubs.

Part of the problem (for me) with gearing up for the rest of this post season isn’t just *the Giants aren’t in it*. It’s how they were ousted. It was so fast and so unexpected. Even doubting their bullpen I really thought they could hold a 3 run lead. I still can almost barely believe they lost that game.

It got taken from us too quickly.

1. willedav said, on October 15, 2016 at 8:25 am

flav, interested to know what you think of Mac/Parker as a solution for LF, and maybe RF if Pence begins to deteriorate further. I know you don’t care much for Span (options?), and have long advocated for Posey to take over 1b.
    I’m not into playoffs so this is off season for me. Things tend to heat up a bit when you post more often so I’m curious how you think Giants should play it. Listening to Evans is useless.

Would you try and trade Belt, who gets big contract bump up to $17mil starting 2018? What would you look for in return?

2. willedav said, on October 15, 2016 at 8:31 am

Oh and a ? for Zum. Did you read J Passan’s book “The Arm”? I started it but couldn’t get through first chapter that takes place in the operating room with celebrity MD deciding what to cut and where. Yuck…interesting premise for discussion with all the $$$ spent/proliferation of injuries at all levels of baseball, TJs, etc.

Certainly one of Nat’s problems beside Dusty in post season and what happened to Harper is lack of dependable arms behind Strasberg who once again sat out playoffs, ahead of his $175 mil/7 yr deal beginning.

3. Bozo said, on October 15, 2016 at 8:44 am

This might be the first year where I really don’t care who the Giants keep/trade/sign or fire. Trade Posey? Fine, fuck him, include Belt, Pence, and Bum in the deal as well. Fire Rags, Bam Bam and Boch, fine by me. Or they can keep the whole team intact, whatever. Sorry, but right now I just don’t give a shit.
    One thing I do know, this team was built to win and they collectively choked it up, each and everyone of them.

4. unca_chuck said, on October 15, 2016 at 9:09 am

Pence Belt and Panik are the most tradeable. Crawford is not going anywhere. The problem is who gets their spot when they go. We’ve beaten the Posey to first and get a catcher scenario to death but that is because Posey is riding a ginormous deal that no one wants to bite off. And who is close to him that is a aila le? Specs at 2nd isn’t too bad, but Panik is coming off a down year so do we get a stud CFer for him? Pence is a fucking mess right now. He’s either part of the problem or part of the solution next year.

I don’t know. This hot stove stuff never really jazzed me up as nothing ever happens like I think it will.

5. dirtnrocksnomo said, on October 15, 2016 at 9:21 am

I think Pence will be fine next year. He just came back from surgery too fast and was pressing too hard to be the difference maker. As bozo says, I’m sort of indifferent to what happens this off season. Losing Lopez, Romo, Casilla is improvement through subtraction. I wouldn’t be surprised to see Booby come up short in pursuit of free agents and the team starts the season with Smith, Kontos, Okert, Osich, Strickland etc and the rest filled from within.

6. wilcojoe said, on October 15, 2016 at 10:16 am

If the Astros don’t overpay for Brandon Belt, I will literally disown them as my second (hometown) team. I have been saying this for almost two years now. They need a veteran, gold glove caliber first baseman who enjoys walking more than hitting home runs. I would give up Ken Giles (who had a down year but is a legit hard throwing 8th or 9th inning RH) AND AJ Reed (a recent top 100 prospect) power hitting first baseman who just needs to lose 20 pounds and can flat out mash. If they don’t want Reed, they could take any other minor leaguer not on the current roster.

I can’t think of a better trade that helps both teams equally.

7. Flavor said, on October 15, 2016 at 10:46 am

WillieD– I am completely OFF trying to sign *a big bat* because it’s the lame way out and power bats just use us as leverage anyway to sign bigger deals elsewhere. Therefore, we are not getting Cespy not matter what the idiots on KNBR are calling for. And that’s fine, he would under perform here anyway.
    I’d be fine with a Willie-Park platoon in LF as long as…..
    we STACK the bullpen. That’s how we won 3 WS, that’s how the Royals won last year and that’s how the remaining teams have gotten there this year. It’s not the sexiest way to the top but it is the preferred method for success in MLB these days…..
    And it’s not like everyone is trying to do this. Most GMs and owners like the Angels route—overpay for big bats and stud starting pitchers. It doesn’t work, all it does is sell tickets in the off season. It’s a much smarter and slyer way to go if you stack the bullpen with studs. The evidence is everywhere.

• gianthead said, on October 15, 2016 at 11:15 am

How about an Encarnacion then for first? I think the only thing that is missong is a legit cleanup hitter. I think we struggled so much 2nd half because of injuries and people sucking, that Bochy had people mismatched in the lineup hitting in spots not suited for them but Bochy had few cards to play.

• Flavor said, on October 15, 2016 at 11:18 am

again, how ya gonna get those guys to come here? And if you overpay and they do come and the park shits on them, then what? The way to go is to stack and even OVER stack the bullpen.
        Plus whatever Encarnacion would give you at the plate he would give back in spades at first base.

• gianthead said, on October 15, 2016 at 6:13 pm

Given we would have to way overpay to get an Encarnacion to play but we all agree that right-handed slugger can be productive at ATT, right??? It is just then about the money and we all have a sense that payroll is going to be in the $180 mill range.

Management seemed pretty clear after the Game 4 loss that they are going to rely on the depth of young arms to fill out the pen with the clear implication that they will go all out to sign a closer.

Well that then leaves $25-$30 mill to potentially spend on offense. If they have the money why not spend it???This is not a team that needs to count its change.

My concept on Encarnacion as an option (and I am not saying that is the solution, just a potential option…hopefully Blue Jays get swept and Encarnacion does not feel he needs to or wants to stay in Toronto and it will be at the end of the day all about the donero and we throw more on the table than Toronto wants to or can) then is that Belt goes to left and then can be a defensive repalcement late at first and then also a Gorkys or Parker comes in for better defense on left for Belt.

• gianthead said, on October 15, 2016 at 6:19 pm

And if Encarnacion signs a 5 year $125 mill type of deal, what does he care about the park shitting on him?? He will have been paid royally and then knows the Giants will always be competitive. Will the Blue Jays stay competitive?

And again, I think the park plays very fair to a right-handed power hitter…

• wilcojoe said, on October 15, 2016 at 12:37 pm

As sexy as those bats sound, Flav is right.

8. djloo27 said, on October 15, 2016 at 1:32 pm

I find Mr. Met very offensive to people with large heads…

• Macdog said, on October 15, 2016 at 2:24 pm

Mr. Met after the wild-card game:

• Bozo said, on October 15, 2016 at 3:12 pm

” I’m not kidding, that boy’s head is like Sputnik; spherical but quite pointy at parts! Now that was offside, wasn’t it? He’ll be crying himself to sleep tonight, on his huge pillow.”

9. sandog said, on October 15, 2016 at 4:31 pm

I don’t think the park is gonna cause many problems for a Mark Trumbo type guy. I’m with G-head on this-no huge overhaul needed. Melancon and a right hand bopper and I’ll take my chances.
    Now as for lefty power bats….that’s another story. They do get royally screwed by our ridiculous ballpark. Until the Giants address that, those guys will and should stay away, and we shouldn’t pursue them.

10. gianthead said, on October 15, 2016 at 6:00 pm

The Cubs are going to destroy the Fodgers…

11. zumiee said, on October 15, 2016 at 6:03 pm

I gotta admit, Baez is fun to watch. I wish we had a player like him. Nunez has a bit of that. Specs, too. Speed!

12. zumiee said, on October 15, 2016 at 6:05 pm

Willie, I haven’t read “The Arm,” but would like to. I’m sure I’ll get to it eventually.

13. zumiee said, on October 15, 2016 at 6:07 pm

And, of course….time for the utterly worthless in-game interview. I would LOVE to see a poll of baseball fans on how they feel about these interviews. I bet most hate them.

14. zumiee said, on October 15, 2016 at 6:08 pm

Great catch, Dexter!

15. Flavor said, on October 15, 2016 at 6:15 pm

Some of these 3rd base coach sends, jesus, maybe we didn’t know how good we had it with Kelly……

• gianthead said, on October 15, 2016 at 6:23 pm

Hey what is the word on base coach replacements??? Decker seems to be highly valued by the org. Does he get third? Does that also portend that he will be the heir apparent for Bochy when Bochy goes?

• Flavor said, on October 15, 2016 at 6:38 pm

I have to believe that when Bochy goes we will see Wotus take over.

16. zumiee said, on October 15, 2016 at 6:31 pm

Dexter again!
    I’ve mentioned on the Flap before that I saw several of Dexter’s games in Single A. He was always a lot of fun to watch play D. The challenge for him, as he moved up the minors, was always his bat. He’s a tall guy, with a big strikezone, and he had to figure out what he was on offense. He finally figured out he was never going to be a “power guy.”

• Flavor said, on October 15, 2016 at 6:38 pm

I’ve followed him on twitter for a year. He’s quite engaging.

17. gianthead said, on October 15, 2016 at 7:11 pm

Betting on college football is so frustrating. I will hit a little tease with Wisconsin holding on in the 2nd half (got it at +16.5) but would have hit a nice $400 parlay if Wisconsin covers the +10.5 if Utah doesn’t give up a td with 1:40 left. Utah then had the chance being up 5 down around the 25 yard line to kick a FG to go up 8 and cover the 7 pt spread, but they go for it on 4th and 1 and get stuffed…F ME!!!

• Flavor said, on October 15, 2016 at 7:29 pm

I miss college DFS so bad. It got hacked with the new regs on daily fantasy. I’ve watched very little college football this year.

18. djloo27 said, on October 15, 2016 at 7:48 pm

Former Jet Dennis Byrd was killed in a car crash. I was at the game at the Meadowlands vs. Chiefs when he was injured. They said he would never walk again – but amazingly he did. Very sad ending…

19. djloo27 said, on October 15, 2016 at 7:51 pm

I’ve seen high school fields with better lighting than Wrigley.
    Just awful to watch if you obsess on it…

• Flavor said, on October 15, 2016 at 8:28 pm

never noticed it. Now I can’t stop noticing it.

20. djloo27 said, on October 15, 2016 at 7:55 pm

Does Heineken really think their going to sell any beer with their blatantly gay “meat-flipping” commercial?

21. djloo27 said, on October 15, 2016 at 7:57 pm

Strop with that #46 reminds me of someone…

22. djloo27 said, on October 15, 2016 at 8:11 pm

Chapman flops again…

23. alleykat69 said, on October 15, 2016 at 8:13 pm

Hate it cause it’s a Dodger, but that was a money hit off of Chapman by AGonz with 2 outs to tie it…

24. Macdog said, on October 15, 2016 at 8:28 pm

Slam the Bums!

25. djloo27 said, on October 15, 2016 at 8:29 pm

Rooster can order the Denny’s grand slam breakfast tomorrow…

• Flavor said, on October 15, 2016 at 8:37 pm

it would be the greatest, raddest irony if he was eating it right now, at one of his late, long lasting dinners. I think you can get this for dinner, too.

26. James said, on October 15, 2016 at 8:29 pm

Watching woman-beating, six-gun Chapman break the hearts of the Cubs fans again was beautiful, no matter the opponent. And seeing Fatman Blanton throw an 0-2 like that makes you realize that everyone has bullpen problems.

• Flavor said, on October 15, 2016 at 8:30 pm

it was nearly the perfect scenario—woman beater loses the lead, Dodgers cough up grand slam to lose. Awesome.

27. Flavor said, on October 15, 2016 at 8:29 pm

And the very bizarre, completely stunning success of Joe Blanton comes to a screeching halt…..

• James said, on October 15, 2016 at 8:30 pm

Amen, I hate him more than any other Dodger.

• Macdog said, on October 15, 2016 at 8:32 pm

Yeah, that one’s been hard to figure.

• alleykat69 said, on October 15, 2016 at 8:35 pm

The guys older then Jesus.

28. alleykat69 said, on October 15, 2016 at 8:34 pm

What a doofus Joe Blanton is and the Dodgers just as well letting him pitch the 8th. Grand slam followed by a solo HR as the Cubs blow it open..

29. zumiee said, on October 15, 2016 at 8:34 pm

Blanton was hanging sliders in the middle of the strikezone.

30. Macdog said, on October 15, 2016 at 8:35 pm

Another HR? I switched to Ohio State game.

31. James said, on October 15, 2016 at 8:40 pm

I am also thoroughly enjoying Rizzo’s postseason. No one will call him a loser or choker, if the Cubs win it, though. Context can always save your ass.

32. djloo27 said, on October 15, 2016 at 9:06 pm

Maddon is not impressing me…

• zumiee said, on October 15, 2016 at 9:20 pm

I did appreciate his willingness to say Lester didn’t have his best stuff tonight.

• James said, on October 15, 2016 at 9:35 pm

Maddon talks better than the rest of them.

33. PaulinAsia Banh Bao said, on October 15, 2016 at 9:20 pm

About the Giants’ off-season, many factors and possibilities, from just tweaking to over-hauling, but for me one of the bigger problems was that there really was no “anchor” in the bullpen or in the lineup… meaning, no strong closer to build the ‘pen around (relievers are a rather routine-oriented lot, they like knowing their roles, and it all starts with a strong closer and works inward from there), and no strong power-hitter to build the lineup around. Constant changes of roles and situations seems unsettling for a lot of players. Saying that, I don’t really care *who* they get, but those are 2 roles I’d like to see better filled: a strong closer, and a reliable power hitter in the middle of the lineup, and take it from there.

• djloo27 said, on October 15, 2016 at 9:29 pm

Wouldn’t shock me if we go 0 for 2 on that…

• zumiee said, on October 15, 2016 at 9:38 pm

Well said.

• zumiee said, on October 15, 2016 at 9:39 pm

Both of you. 🙂

34. James said, on October 15, 2016 at 9:34 pm

Remember the young, core IF that was going to anchor the Giants for years? Craw and Posey are 30 next year. Pence will be 34 and Pagan 36 next year. One or two new position players who can hit are at the top of my wish list.

• djloo27 said, on October 15, 2016 at 9:36 pm

Well, maybe Wilco’s deal is worth a look…

35. zumiee said, on October 15, 2016 at 9:37 pm

Roberts intentionally walked Heyward in the blow-up inning. Heyward is terrible.

36. djloo27 said, on October 15, 2016 at 9:46 pm

The Cubs wear more face guards than the Bears…

37. James said, on October 15, 2016 at 10:03 pm

Just went back to read the beginning of this thread. This year’s Yankees may be an argument against the overwhelming bullpen strategy.

Belt was SF’s best player on offense — no one else was even close. It might make more sense to try to complement him rather than trade him.

38. blade3colorado said, on October 15, 2016 at 10:05 pm

I actually am warming up to Belt. I thought he had a very good season and fullfilled a lot of the expectations projected for him when he first came up. Still, as I said previously – I think he is a good enough athlete to make a switch to left and allow Posey to move to 1st base full time. Echo what Loo said – the brass makes these decisions, not the players (Posey’s desires notwithstanding). He will do what he is told to do and the Giants will make the argument palatable to him, where his ego is stroked, i.e., it’s for the team Buster and prolonging your career. Unless he is an imbecile, he will buy into the plan.

By the by, no one is getting traded (Panik, Belt, Pence, Posey, etc.) as a couple of Flappers have suggested. I would like to see Panik or Pence traded, but realistically, it isn’t going to happen for the reasons Flav, Loo, and a couple of others have stated.

Awesome post by Bozo! He is spot on regarding the team being built to win this season and they face planted when it counted. Just my take, but Bochy had less than zero to do with this. He would be the last one I blamed for the team’s 2nd half collapse (umm, right after Zumiee – who’s outstanding attendance winning streak was destroyed this season . . . just kidding Zum! 🙂 ).

• zumiee said, on October 15, 2016 at 10:59 pm

🙂

39. James said, on October 15, 2016 at 10:09 pm

There’s a documentary on the ’71 Pirates on FS1 droning on in the background right now. The ultimate head case, Steve Blass, was just featured in what must be a recently taped interview snippet.

40. James said, on October 15, 2016 at 10:25 pm

Vic Davalillo!

41. zumiee said, on October 15, 2016 at 11:31 pm

If we somehow could have gotten Andrew Miller instead of Will Smith….