(L)ost (A)gain Time?

Posted in Uncategorized by Flavor on October 21, 2016

Well, all that jizz the networks blow on eachother’s faces when they get to broadcast a Kershaw game is going to get tested on Saturday. He’s the greatest pitcher of all time, right? Nobody even a close second, right? Dodgers backs against the wall and their guy has to come through or it’s another lost season and the dealin’ is DONE in LA for the year…..

__________________

#FreeStix! RPOTD!

This one came from this year. He and I nailed it, didn’t we? Here was the end of my thread on on February 24th:

“I like our bullpen a lot. Nice mix of experience and young flame throwers. And hey, if the bullpen falters the one thing I KNOW the Giants will do is go get help. They aren’t spending 165 million on 2016 salaries and complement it with a leaky bullpen that gives away games. So, nothing to stress on here. Cautious optimism warranted…….”

And then Stix response….

Carstie Clausen said, on February 24, 2016 at 8:40 am (Edit)

Appears that Derek Law has come back strong from an injury situation. Smith, Romero and Gearin are also champing at the bit. In other words, the pen has not only excellence from the outset but also plenty of depth in the pipeline with a combination of quality experience and young flamethrowers. Bullpen is the least of our worries going into the season.”

Double lulz……

1. Flavor said, on October 21, 2016 at 5:05 am

2. willedav said, on October 21, 2016 at 7:11 am

Well it was more the “quality experience” part that let them down. Romo getting hurt was a blow too.
    Obviously this wasn’t limited to the pen either.

3. blade3colorado said, on October 21, 2016 at 7:23 am

Yesterday, was Vietnam’s Women’s Day, not to be confused with March 8th’s International Women’s Day. Anywho, it is the one day out of the year, that Vietnamese women are celebrated, wined and dined. Think of it as another Valentines Day. I actually asked Linh, my girfriend, “Hon, why don’t men get a holiday where we celebrate them?” Her immediate response, “You all get every day of the year.” Hilarious . . . and quite true, as Vietnamese men have it made here.

So to tie this all together, I was watching the game this morning (when it was tied 1-1 in the 5th I believe) and than Linh said, “Honey, can we go to restaurant and get some Pho for breakfast?” Technically, Vietnam Women’s Day was over at 12 midnight; however, how could I refuse this beautiful woman? Besides, I was fairly confident that the Cubs would eventually win. Moreover, I hate the Dodgers with a passion and if the Bums did win while I was viewing it, I didn’t want to have my day ruined. Better to find out later. Fast forward 7-8 hours later, I read an ESPN article describing how the Cubs won.

• djloo27 said, on October 21, 2016 at 8:45 am

Things sure have changed.
      There’s probably a Starbuck’s on Hamburger Hill…

• blade3colorado said, on October 21, 2016 at 9:33 am

One of my favorite (almost) daily activities is going to a Starbucks in Saigon. They have quite a few in this city. IMO they do not screw up the Cafe Lattes like other Vietnamese coffee shops. Although VN coffee is the best in the world, they mostly like it mud thick in little thimble cups. Can’t stand it. Ironically, most Vietnamese do not drink hot coffee at all. They like the sugary ice coffee drinks. Paul can attest to this. Makes me physically sick to drink that shit.

4. chipower9 said, on October 21, 2016 at 7:44 am

Fucking hindsight is 20-20. Hey, I am sure a majority of us were throwing-out mad props to our bullpen…fuck, I am sure I was one of them. Triple lulz! (Not to be confused with the Triple Lindy!)

5. willedav said, on October 21, 2016 at 7:47 am

Stix stayed up on Giants minors guys too and gave glowing reports on prospects he liked.
    I haven’t heard much about how more highly rated guys on pitching staff in minors did, and when if ever they might be able to take a roster spot.

6. zumiee said, on October 21, 2016 at 9:12 am

I remember posting at the beginning of the season that I was very concerned about the bullpen. I was never feeling all that good about those guys.
    Just about all of us were negative on the Cain/Peavy combo in the rotation. We talked a lot about our “60% rotation.” Next season, once Cain is set aside, the Giants should have a 100% rotation- Bum, Cueto, Moore, Smardj, and Blach.

• chipower9 said, on October 21, 2016 at 10:38 am

The key will be “WHEN” Cain is set aside. You and I (and all Flappers) know that he will be given a shot at a rotation spot out of ST. If he wins that spot, then we will have to see how long it lasts. I hope like hell Cain proves me wrong, but I don’t think the guy has much left.

7. zumiee said, on October 21, 2016 at 9:14 am

Baez is the Dodgers’ Strickland. A hard-throwing guy who seems to have great potential, but has a habit of giving up too many hard-hit balls. The fastball doesn’t have movement, and the AB is more comfortable for the batter than it should be. And the breaking stuff isn’t that threatening to the batter.

8. alleykat69 said, on October 21, 2016 at 10:15 am

Baez is also the reason baseball games are freakin 4 hours, the guys a human rain delay!!!

• djloo27 said, on October 21, 2016 at 10:27 am

The original HRD:

• chipower9 said, on October 21, 2016 at 10:42 am

• blade3colorado said, on October 21, 2016 at 8:37 pm

Hilarious AK!

9. alleykat69 said, on October 21, 2016 at 10:59 am

Yeah I was gonna mention Hargrove on my post Loo/Chi.
    He basically did everything except take his jock strap out during his AB..

10. Macdog said, on October 21, 2016 at 11:18 am

The Human Rain Delay, of course, was Indians manager the last two times they made it to the World Series. He’s now in some kind of advisory role with the Tribe.

11. zumiee said, on October 21, 2016 at 11:46 am

Watching those Hargrove clips, it’s hard to understand why football passed baseball in fan popularity.

• djloo27 said, on October 21, 2016 at 11:58 am

Football has become torturous to watch with the constant stoppages, rules that no one understands, replays, commercials, moronic players behaving like jerks, endless stats and annoying graphics. I really believe that the main reason for its popularity (which BTW is decreasing) is that it’s so easy to bet on…

• zumiee said, on October 21, 2016 at 12:09 pm

Yeah, I get so tired of the on-field litigation in football games. It’s constant penalties and replays and coaches arguing with referees, and broadcasters going on and on about close calls. It’s really taken away from the flow of the games.

• zumiee said, on October 21, 2016 at 12:10 pm

The last time I watched a football game from start to finish was the latest Super Bowl. And even then, I was stepping away once in a while to get food or something to drink.

• djloo27 said, on October 21, 2016 at 12:20 pm

Sometimes I ignore the Super Bowl altogether. It makes me feel good for some reason.
        Plus my team is never in it…

• sfsarge said, on October 21, 2016 at 1:44 pm

That sounds like the Olympics boycott too

• chipower9 said, on October 21, 2016 at 9:22 pm

NFL football is unwatchable. I still,dig college football, and am enjoying watching Cal whoop Oregon’s ass…

12. alleykat69 said, on October 21, 2016 at 2:20 pm

Yeah sports today is boring I really need some mayhem&blood like Rollerball with James Cann. They laid it all out on the roller rink track. Motorcycle crashes, fires,just your ass whippin blood& guts till the last survivor prevailed!!

13. Flavor said, on October 21, 2016 at 3:32 pm

Pawlie spoke to Willie Mays today. lol. So there’s that.

• Macdog said, on October 21, 2016 at 4:00 pm

Wow. I guess the chase is over?

• pawliekokonuts said, on October 21, 2016 at 7:15 pm

Indeed. Finnerty’s 1 to 3 p.m. Sunday. Can you make it? Loo’s in.

• djloo27 said, on October 21, 2016 at 7:48 pm

Goddamn right – at a 90 degree angle…

• chipower9 said, on October 21, 2016 at 9:25 pm

I am so jealous. Wish I was meeting you guys there, especially since missing Pawlie during the East Coast Flaplooza. Enjoy boys…Imwill be there in spirit! Tip one for me!

14. zumiee said, on October 21, 2016 at 4:09 pm

Regarding Bake McBride, I’ve mentioned before on the Flap that I got his autograph when he was in Single A in the Cal League, and I still have it, which is kind of amazing. I’ve lost a few autographs over the years. I lost Johnny Bench’s autograph.

• zumiee said, on October 21, 2016 at 4:11 pm

But I did shake Johnny’s hand, which is a way better memory than the autograph anyway.

15. Flavor said, on October 21, 2016 at 4:21 pm

I’m looking forward to Pawlie re-telling how he came into contact with his boyhood idol, maybe the greatest baseball player of all time.

• djloo27 said, on October 21, 2016 at 8:04 pm

Maybe my ass, bro…

• chipower9 said, on October 21, 2016 at 9:27 pm

Yes…cannot wait to hear that tale. He is the greatest IMO…

16. zumiee said, on October 21, 2016 at 4:23 pm

For no particular reason, this sort of horse-racing related clip:

• Flavor said, on October 21, 2016 at 6:17 pm

didn’t see that coming. That was good.

17. pawliekokonuts said, on October 21, 2016 at 7:14 pm

I dialed the number someone kindly shared with me. [Long-ish story I can’t get into. The info was handed to me. My first thought was: What? No way I can call him. I was told I had to tell him about the book. I demurred. Until today.] I was that nine-year-old boy trying to call Willie Mays, as described at the outset of ‘Chasing Willie Mays.’

What would I say?

He answered right away. I knew it was him.

‘Hello, who is this?’
    ‘This is Paul Kocak. I wrote a book…’
    ‘Wait a second, I can’t hear you.’
    His voice was high-pitched, almost plaintive, but calm, cordial, familiar. Comfortable and conversational.

As I was intoning the familiar ‘can you hear me now?,’ I realized it wasn’t just me or my phone, though I might’ve been mumbling a little from nerves. His TV was too loud. The curse of old people. He had left his phone to turn down the television. I could hear the volume receding.

‘I had to turn the TV down.’

‘What can I do for you, sir?’

‘I just wanted to let you know I wrote this book. It’s about you, and my love for the Giants. When I was nine years old I tried to call you, and here I am calling you now from Syracuse, New York.’

‘I heard about that book.’

‘Really? I…’

‘…yeah, it was on a New York station.’

I had yet to be interviewed on a NY station, though a station in Stamford, Connecticut, had interviewed me the day before. But who knows?

‘So, I was wondering if I could send you a copy.’

‘Sure, send it to the ballpark.’

‘Oh, okay. At 24 Willie Mays Plaza.’

‘Yes, sir.’

‘I don’t want to intrude on your day. Thank you so much, sir. Thank you, sir. Bye now.’

Clearly, my ‘thank yous’ extended over decades and went deeper than this call and far beyond me.

That was it, more or less. I cannot describe how welcoming, charming, easy, and gracious he was. If some stranger had called my number out of the blue, I would be more suspicious, apprehensive, annoyed. He left the feeling we could’ve talked longer. I didn’t want to abuse the privilege. It went easy once I made up my mind to do it. Oh yeah. There was a tiny voice in the back of my head saying: This is Willie Mays. You’re talking to Willie Mays. Live. This is your childhood reenacted with a different ending.

He couldn’t have been sweeter or more hospitable.

So, aside from a nap or two on a day with torrential rains, that was my day.

• Macdog said, on October 21, 2016 at 7:28 pm

Just saw your Finnerty’s message. Damn, very doubtful, but I won’t rule it out.

• djloo27 said, on October 21, 2016 at 7:51 pm

I would’ve told him that at age 59, I still play stickball and pretend I’m him in the very same schoolyard that I was was doing it in 1963…

• djloo27 said, on October 21, 2016 at 8:24 pm

Aside from the torrential rains and the loud TV, it was probably Willie’s day too…

• chipower9 said, on October 21, 2016 at 9:30 pm

Wow. Thanks for sharing the story, Pawlie. I am so happy for you.

18. djloo27 said, on October 21, 2016 at 8:56 pm

My childhood memories of Mays are the 2nd purest ones that I have. Number one would be helping care for a 3 time Horse of the Year (74-75-76) named Forego who I helped cool out with my buddy Shotgun Hampton after he dominated an allowance race at Belmont Park in 1973. Off in the distance we could hear the roar of the crowd as Secretariat was winning the Belmont Stakes (and Triple Crown) by 31 lengths in a time that will never be approached. We couldn’t care less. We knew what we had…

• chipower9 said, on October 21, 2016 at 9:31 pm

Cool story, Loo.

• Flavor said, on October 22, 2016 at 5:37 am

this is one of the best, simplest, old school stories I have ever heard anyone tell.

19. snarkk said, on October 21, 2016 at 10:13 pm

Great story Pawlie, on talking with Willie.
    You should have talked longer, hell, he was just watching TV.
    One thing I always wanted to know about him was whyinhell he did that public service commercial years ago warning kids about playing with blasting caps — of all things. “Don’t toushhh them…”
    But then again, who am I to say, maybe it was a good TV show … 😉

20. chipower9 said, on October 21, 2016 at 10:30 pm

Damn – hit the damned hot tub for a few, come back in, and two totally different football teams. WTF, Cal.!

• unca_chuck said, on October 21, 2016 at 10:45 pm

No shit. Stumbled on the game and saw the 10 yard pooch punt by the cal QB Webb when it was 34-14 Cal in tge 3rd quarter. Now it’s 35-34 Orygun.

21. snarkk said, on October 21, 2016 at 10:57 pm

Typical Cal game under Dykes.
    No defense. After a few years of this, it’s no longer exciting with all offense, no D. Frustrating, more like it…

• zumiee said, on October 21, 2016 at 11:01 pm

Yeah, this game is definitely not a defensive highlight reel for either team.

22. unca_chuck said, on October 21, 2016 at 11:06 pm

Jesus. I see College football makes asinine penalty calls as well.

This game is a flag fest.

23. unca_chuck said, on October 21, 2016 at 11:09 pm

College games just resemble this one too much for me. Lots of offense and little D. Pitch and catch. 25 yard runs. 48-37 scores.

• zumiee said, on October 21, 2016 at 11:10 pm

Yeah, it’s kind of arena football-ish.

24. snarkk said, on October 21, 2016 at 11:10 pm

I think the over under was 88. Friggin Vegas is unreal…

25. snarkk said, on October 21, 2016 at 11:13 pm

Tell you what, tho. I’d take Davis Webb right now over every QB on the Niners roster. The guy has an arm, and touch. I’d rather watch a college scorefest than a boring ass Niner game…

• unca_chuck said, on October 21, 2016 at 11:35 pm

I’d take Jack Webb.

• snarkk said, on October 21, 2016 at 11:41 pm

Just the facts, just the facts…

26. snarkk said, on October 21, 2016 at 11:33 pm

Of course Cal messes up the final FG try to win the game. OT again. It’s hard being a Cal fan…

27. unca_chuck said, on October 21, 2016 at 11:35 pm

I see that in college you can call all your timeouts to ice the kicker. That’s a penalty in the NFL. Sorry, Cal.

28. snarkk said, on October 21, 2016 at 11:36 pm

Sonny can’t recruit anybody to play friggin defense.
    Baalke can’t draft offensive players worth a damn…

29. snarkk said, on October 21, 2016 at 11:43 pm

I’ll just throw out my usual “Joe Starkey sucks” comment here. He needs desperately to retire. Palawski covers for him constantly…

• unca_chuck said, on October 21, 2016 at 11:57 pm

He’s got to be as old as Vin Scully.

Cal wins!!!

30. snarkk said, on October 21, 2016 at 11:50 pm

Here’s Starkey: “…he gets to the goal line — aaaaaaand he’s a yard short”…

31. snarkk said, on October 21, 2016 at 11:58 pm

Bears win !!!!
    52-49.
    And, it’s midnight. Crazy…

• zumiee said, on October 22, 2016 at 12:33 am