Indians or Cubs?

Posted in Uncategorized by Flavor on October 24, 2016

World Series starts tonight if that does anything for ya. I would be rooting harder for Cleveland if it weren’t for 1) that stupid racist logo and 2) the bad taste still in my mouth from the Warriors incomprehensible meltdown after being up 3-1 last year. I still haven’t come close to letting that go….

But yeah, I’m rooting for the Indians. I liked the Cubs and their fans much more when they were losing every year.

How about a Retro Stix post? There is so much gold in this one I don’t know where to start:

stixwiz said, on February 27, 2014 at 10:33 am (Edit)

Easy to see why Spring training is not held here in northern Minnesota. Finally coaxed myself outta the sack upstairs at around nine this a.m. Heating stove got a refill. Ice floes atop the water buckets on the kitchen floor. Cat-water frozen almost solid.
Turned on this machine and hooked into Yahoo weather report for this area. Twenty-four below zero. It’s getting a bit old. Betcha if they were playing up here yesterday that Red Dick guy would not have scaled that fence even once. Not much bounce when there are two feet of snow on the ground and a howling north-northwesterly at about 30 MPH driving the one-below temp into a windshield factor i do not even wanna contemplate. That was yesterday afternoon’s lead-in to last night.
Looks like March is NOT gonna come in like a lamb. Not even a sour old goat. The original Frostbite Falls (aka International Falls) some 130 miles NNE of me set their all-time low for last night at -33. We probably did not bottom that, but probably neared -30. Saturday night, March 1st is projected for a comparatively balmy -26 degrees. Couple more cold ones after that and then we start getting more snow with the milder temps.
So my question is this~~ why do MLB schedule makers even consider early season starts in venues like Minneapolis, Boston. Chicago and Milwaukee when cities like Miami, Tampa, Atlanta, Houston, Arlington, Phoenix, L.A., S.F., Dago and Oakland usually enjoy decent to fine weather in early Spring?

1. Lurker John said, on October 24, 2016 at 6:15 am

INDIANS!

2. Flavor said, on October 24, 2016 at 6:48 am

“it’s getting a bit old..” lulz

3. willedav said, on October 24, 2016 at 7:01 am

Frostbite Falls. Rocky and Bullwinkle was hilarious program.

4. unca_chuck said, on October 24, 2016 at 7:27 am

Cubs. Family ties. ……. talked to my cousin the other day that grew up there and he said most of the aunts and uncles, even the southsiders, were Cubs fans. Shit, 2 of my sisters were born there. Indians? Fuck them, their racist hats, and Bron Bron. The least they could do is get rid of the hideous logo.

5. sandog said, on October 24, 2016 at 7:42 am

Game 1 is actually tomorrow, not tonight….

• Flavor said, on October 24, 2016 at 7:56 am

shows how much I am paying attention.
      Nice pic of your son and Brault. Want me to post it? Pawlie sent me one of him and MacDog at Finnerty’s. If I get motivated at work I could post both.

• willedav said, on October 24, 2016 at 8:03 am

hey yeah, was looking for something about the book signing.

6. Flavor said, on October 24, 2016 at 7:58 am

By the way Chuck, what is up with that lunatic at your blog?

• willedav said, on October 24, 2016 at 8:13 am

poor chuck. Had to sit through the train wreck of a Tampa offensive explosion and then figure out how to get the nut job locked back in his padded basement.

7. zumiee said, on October 24, 2016 at 8:25 am

I was never sure if Stix was poking fun with his use of the phrase “windshield factor.” But now I’m inclined to think he was.

8. alleykat69 said, on October 24, 2016 at 8:44 am

Always liked describing the windshield wiper joke..
    How are windshield wipers and breast similar?
    You go back and forth with your neck and you’ll hit the nips…

9. Bozo said, on October 24, 2016 at 8:47 am

I’m rooting against the Cubs. I just feel that baseball needs the curse of the Billy Goat, so the Cubs must lose to keep the curse alive.

I haven’t been on Chuck’s blog in a long time, I’ve been kind of on a vacation from the NFL. Nice to see the Nipper is still around and kicking, and also to see that Chuck has a special friend, that needs a hug and likes to get his dick sucked off by a dog… my NFL vacation continues.

10. gianthead said, on October 24, 2016 at 8:56 am

Is this the Twilight Zone and tomorrow is today or are we in Vietnam with PaulaBlade???

11. gianthead said, on October 24, 2016 at 8:58 am

If you want to know what joy looks like, besides Blade in Vietnam with his girls, you should have seen the face of my 8 year old Sunday morning when he found out the Cubs beat the Fodgers. He wanted the Nats to lose and he got his wish and now all in for the Cubs.

But he is about to learn the harsh lesson of being a Cubs fan for the last 108 years…

• gianthead said, on October 24, 2016 at 9:03 am

And I will rub it in….what else would a Giants fan do???

12. pawliekokonuts said, on October 24, 2016 at 9:28 am

Good hed Sunday at NY Daily News: GOAT BUSTERS.

Hanging at the Upper West Side. A nap is in order. Being a celebrity wears me out. (That is the most sardonic of jabs: Celebrity? More Anonbrity.) But that’s cool. Way cool hanging with Macdog and Loo yesterday. It really was. And how loyal they were to trek all the way in to see L’il Ol’ Moi! That’s beyond special.

13. Flavor said, on October 24, 2016 at 10:11 am

Happy birthday to BOTH Dirt and Mac Dog today.

• Macdog said, on October 24, 2016 at 10:17 am

Thanks! Four years ago today was the Pablo 3 HR game.

• pawliekokonuts said, on October 24, 2016 at 11:19 am

AND happy birthday to Macdog’s dad

14. unca_chuck said, on October 24, 2016 at 11:52 am

Yeah Flav, that’s Flying V. A pain in the ass since about 2007 from the Niner Insider Chron blog. I changed all his posts and blocked him.

This is getting pointless. The Niners suck hard and I don’t see anything changing until Jed either cleans out the ENTIRE front office and gets football people in there, or he sells.

Neither of which is likely to happen for the next 12-15 years. Joy. Check this out.

Here are the one and only Irish Kevin in the middle, Me (bag man on the left) and my son (bag man on the right). Note the stands. This is at HALFTIME.

IMG_6595

• Flavor said, on October 24, 2016 at 12:05 pm

You guys channeling your inner-aints. Nice.

• unca_chuck said, on October 24, 2016 at 12:42 pm

Futile protest? Sure. But not too many owners sell due to shitty attendance. That’s fricking halftime!

15. Irish Kevin said, on October 24, 2016 at 11:57 am

I am all in for the Cubs, any team that keeps the Dodgers out of the WS is alright by me!!

16. Irish Kevin said, on October 24, 2016 at 11:58 am

I don’t know which is worst, the Niners Defense or the Offense, there are both offensive!!

• unca_chuck said, on October 24, 2016 at 12:41 pm

Dont; forget special teams. They botched the TB punt in the 3rd quarter. Gave ’em the ball right back after forcing them to one of their few 3-and-outs.

17. sandog said, on October 24, 2016 at 1:23 pm

Flav–that’s fine if you want to post that pic with Matt and Steven Brault in it. I’m pissed I didn’t get a pic of Musgrove the night before!

18. unca_chuck said, on October 24, 2016 at 1:58 pm

This is gold!!!

19. chipower9 said, on October 24, 2016 at 2:01 pm

Senior Circuit ALL THE WAY. GO CUBBIES! Fuck Chief Wahoo, LeBron and his “mistake by the lake” crew, and the junior circuit. Should be a hell of a series. The Tribe is tough, and the Cubbies are no slouches either. I won’t be too awfully hurt if the Tribe wins. More than anything I want to see some clean and exciting baseball. Hope the series goes seven and it ends in drama.

Another great Stix gem shared by Loo yesterday at 1:28 RE: “Baseball has nothing over the NFL when it comes to spectacle…”. That has to be one of my all-time favorites by Stix, and mainly because of his description of the game of baseball that we all love so dearly.

Heard on my drive in this morning. Of the last four elimination games the bums have lost, Kershaw has started three of them. Like others have mentioned, I like Kershaw…he seems like a nice enough guy, and from what I have heard, he and Bum are friends off the field. But that dude just cannot pitch is way out of a wet paper bag when the calendar turns to October.

20. alleykat69 said, on October 24, 2016 at 2:18 pm

You can’t blame Kerley on the botched punt Chuck, most players don’t expect to get tackled by your own teammate which caused the muff..

21. unca_chuck said, on October 24, 2016 at 2:21 pm

Yeah, it was Burbridge that fucked it up. Still and all, a special teams special.

22. chipower9 said, on October 24, 2016 at 2:29 pm

Happy Birthday to MacDog and Dirt! Hope your days are awesome, gents (that term IS used LIGHTLY). 😉

Keep on Flappin’!

• Macdog said, on October 24, 2016 at 2:41 pm

Thanks Chi!

23. zumiee said, on October 24, 2016 at 3:10 pm

Yeah, that botched punt return said it all yesterday. Blocker running into the returner, causing a fumble. Three Stooges time.

• unca_chuck said, on October 24, 2016 at 3:37 pm

Most of the Niner games this season have a specific turning point when shit goes south.

That was yesterday’s.

the Buffalo game was the 4th down fail.

24. xoot said, on October 24, 2016 at 3:10 pm

Clevelanders for me, despite the chief wahoo TM racist cartoon that’s festooning hats, shoulders, dugouts, pay checks . . . . The feather juts up like a middle finger aimed at anyone who objects. Hey, wait a minute. Maybe the cubs aren’t so bad after all . . . . that guy Hendricks is an interesting pitcher, for example.

For those of you who love thoroughbreds, have you heard of C. E. Morgan’s recently published novel The Sport of Kings? My affinity for Berea KY and good bourbon made me a bit biased I suspect, but it’s a helluva tale with astonishing characters, including a lovable monster bred with Secretariat’s blood on both her sire’s and dam’s sides of the pedigree (if I remember correctly). The book is both beautifully written and overwritten. It’s really a no holds barred event. I’d be interested to know what people who know a lot about horse racing think of it. Here’s an early review that got me interested:

• djloo27 said, on October 24, 2016 at 5:51 pm

I’m the wrong guy to ask, Xoot. I don’t read much and when it comes to horse racing, I strictly go with non-fiction. Preferably lists…

• Flavor said, on October 24, 2016 at 7:07 pm

Brice Blanc gave me a brilliant ride in the 9th yesterday at SA. Won by a nose. 3.1K on the pick 4 and I didn’t have the horse in 2nd. I tried to find him on twitter to thank him (he had picked up the mount when Kent called in sick half way through the card) but his french speaking ass doesn’t do twitter. :(. Anyway, if you get a chance, go take a look at that race and look how much ground the 8 lost turning into the stretch and how much ground Blanc saved on the 4. The 8 was significantly better but lost, I’d say, 5 lengths into the stretch. People that say jockeys aren’t critical to the trip of the horse are clueless.

• snarkk said, on October 24, 2016 at 7:14 pm

All I know about these friggin flea-bagged nags is they cost me a couple hundred a month when I cut checks paying for the older Snarkette’s riding lessons. One of their kind bit me when I was a kid, almost took my ear off, now they take my cash. And, though she cleans it, their crap on my kid’s horse gear stinks up my garage. When I go into her barn, they eye me like they’re sayin- oh, dude, so you’re the chump that pays for my oats! Nyyyyyyyeeaahhhhhthanks! Other than that, I luv ’em… 😉

• Flavor said, on October 24, 2016 at 7:25 pm

in order to appreciate and really love horse racing I think you had to grow up with it. My dad started taking me to the track when I was 8 (same age he taught me to play golf). Horse racing is a beautiful sport but I do understand why it’s got its detractors. For me, it will always be one of my favorite past times……

• xoot said, on October 24, 2016 at 7:52 pm

You don’t read much, DJL? In its way that’s almost as amazing as the Forego post. The book’s only 500 pages long. Stunning KY Derby toward the end. Huge amounts of interesting strife, struggle and fornication throughout. But admittedly it is fiction.

25. snarkk said, on October 24, 2016 at 6:45 pm

That Super 70s Sports twitter site is pretty doggone funny. I noticed the guy put up a fair few photos over the past month or more of Gordie Howe. I’m no hockey lover, but from what I’ve seen and read, I’d put Gordie Howe in the top 10, maybe top 5, of all US pro sports for best combination of playing skills and general badassery. Gordie obviously could not only score the puck, but he’d take care of bidness otherwise on the ice, a man not to be crossed. I didn’t realize he was revered in Canada as much as he is; “Mr. Hockey” is like the Babe Ruth of Canadian Hockey. Gretzky is the greatest player, Gordie perhaps the most loved. Nicklaus and Palmer on the ice…

26. PaulinAsia Banh Bao said, on October 24, 2016 at 7:55 pm

Speaking of Stix and/or Trump (even if we weren’t), with all the retro Stix posts, wonder if you can find one in particular, when he was talking over and over about pussy in his bed. Or pussies on his bed. Or something like that. It was hilarious, and I still to this day am not sure if he even realized it…..

• Flavor said, on October 24, 2016 at 8:03 pm

i totally remember that one and hope I stumble across it. It the 2015 season (I think)

• PaulinAsia Banh Bao said, on October 24, 2016 at 8:14 pm

Yes, I believe that was last year some time….

27. zumiee said, on October 24, 2016 at 8:19 pm

Dave Roberts has been named the Sporting News NL Manager of the Year. Wow, he did the difficult task of taking the highest payroll team, that had made the playoffs three years in a row under the previous manager, into the playoffs for a fourth year in a row.

• snarkk said, on October 24, 2016 at 8:56 pm

Helps to be in LA…

• unca_chuck said, on October 24, 2016 at 9:42 pm

And fall short like his predecessors. Although he did have to deal with a shitload of injuries.

Met Roberts at a fanfest like 2 weeks before he was traded. Nice guy.

Also met Bruce Ellington Sunday when my tickets that I bought with NFL FanXchange didn’t work. The bar code didn’t work. As I was standing there haggling with the woman behind the bulletproof glass, my son said “hey, there’s Bruce Ellington”. The ticket lady walked away so I had to go say hi and offer a little encouragement. He heard part of my exchange with the ticket lady and asked what was going on. Told him my tickets might be bogus. He said, I’ll give you my ticket but I only have one. His mom said she would give us an extra one of hers but the weren’t together. I thanked them both profusely, but I was meeting my daughter in the stadium so I couldn’t take the seats, but it was a very nice gesture.

After all the hassle, we tried them again at the turnstile, and only one of them worked. The guy just let us in after all the bs.

Fucked up thing was 20 minutes after we sat down, a couple came up and said we were in their seats. Sure enough they had the same tickets. I would have been very pissed if there weren’t a bunch of empties around us.

This NFL FanExchange is some kind of fucking scam.

• snarkk said, on October 24, 2016 at 9:50 pm

Chuck, you just saw this train wreck “live”. Is this worse than the Nolan or Sing “eras”?
        I think yes, the talent cupboard is worse, IMO. And the fans are really really PO’d. There’s no EZ fix. Several years of good drafts and signings are needed to dig out of this. That’s assuming they get a QB who can actually complete a pass. And, I wouldn’t leave any of that up to Baalke. The dude is as bad at picking WRs as Sabean is drafting OFers…

28. unca_chuck said, on October 24, 2016 at 10:09 pm

Well, there’s no polishing this turd. The only reason I feel like this is worse is because Jed is 32 (or whatever) and he likely won’t sell for about 35 years. The Sing years, I KNEW the team had talent. This team was thin when the season started, and they’ve been hurt by injuries. Mainly to their NT Ian Williams. But they are dogmeat now.

Baalke has had more draft picks than any GM in the last 7 years. He has wasted nearly all of them. If he remains, the team has no chance.

The other big problem is, Jed doesn’t want to fire Chip as he would be paying 2 ex-coaches about $25 mill. Then he’d have to hire another one. But the big BUT is, if he fired Baalke and hires a new GM, his directive will be to keep Chipper. Which means no GM with any eggs will tell Jed to pound sand. So, we’ll likely promote Tom Gamble with the (*) that he has to keep Kelly.

Which is better than Baalke I guess, but who knows? The front office is a fucking mess, and now the Niners are in fire sale mode. We are likely 1-15.

29. blade3colorado said, on October 25, 2016 at 2:00 am

Jed is 32? That’s in his favor . . . My only interest prior to September 26th, 1986, was partying. After that date, everything changed. A 180. If I can do it, anyone can.