Posted in Uncategorized by Flavor on November 8, 2016

I really wanted to find a good Stix post about politics or voting (or conspiracy or corruption) but a quick scan of Nov 2012 didn’t yield much. Gold Glove awards announced today. I have a hard time mustering up much enthusiasm for individual awards but I’m assuming Crawford gets one, maybe Buster finally nudges out Molina at catcher.

_________________

#FreeStix! RPOTD

stixwiz said, on October 28, 2012 at 9:28 pm (Edit)

Several minutes ago an incredibly fast moving object was briefly tracked by radar scopes bearing WSW from Sweep City. Knowledgeable observers have surmised that it is indeed Broomhilda tracking from the scene where her boys and their Halloween Machine responded perfectly to her smallball blessings. She appears to be making a beeline for a well-known bay on the West Coast of the continent.

Broomhilda will appear in full-drag as one of the Sisters of Perpetual Indulgence, but with one alteration to the habit. Instead of Black and White, her colors will be readily identifiable as Black and Orange, a more seasonal look and fully calculated for one Helluva party she is expected to hold an undisclosed location in the near vicinity of China Basin.

Keep your eyes to the skies, gang. Following Broomhilda’s flight a slower-moving flying craft will track a similar flight-pattern and the occupants are expected to make various public appearances to “Hallelujahs and Hosannas”. As is her wont, Broomhilda will be present, though that presence will only be known to the cognizant.

1. gianthead said, on November 8, 2016 at 6:59 am

That was a ridiculous call on mnf that Sherman did not get the unsportsmanlike conduct call on the fg.

If that was the standard that you could plow into the kicker when you are offsides and the other team was out of time-outs and had to then remove their kicker for the next play, if there was a team trying to win a game with a fg at the end of the game with time running out, I would tell all of my defenders to go offsides and take out the kicker ala The Longest Yard style. Yeah, you probably get people tossed out of the game and probably the unsportsmanlike call, but then you succeed in forcing the kicker out of the game and the punter likely forced to kick the fg. If that was the standard, I would take out the fg kicker every time…

2. gianthead said, on November 8, 2016 at 7:16 am

And a little Dubs talk. Didnt have the game on tv and knew they had a nice lead when I crashed after the mnf game and the Lady Gaga Sir Hillary appearance in Raleigh, but this is the point I made during the Thunder playoff series last year.

The Dubs defensive effort had started to go in the wrong direction last year and I questioned Kerr’s defensive coaching mindset/abilities/strategy. When I praised Mark Jackson and how he for the first time got a Warriors team to play defense, one of you Flappers gave me grief that Jackson had no positive effect.

I pointed out that every year Jackson coached he got tremendous improvement out of the team defensively from year to year where I think they were the third best defensive team his last year and became the best defensive team in Kerr’s first year. But I would argue that #1 rating had much to do with what Jackson implemented with the personnel that all basically carried over to Kerr’s first year.

Yes Kerr made vast improvements offensively over what Jackson did, but I have been concerned that what the Warriors have shown since the last playoffs into this season defensively is not championship quality.

I dont see the Dubs making any major moves this season, but if they come up short this year and they need to re-up Curry at probably $30 mill a year, for the first time I can actually see them trying to move Klay for a big body. It may be a necessity financially anyway. DeMarcus I believe is a free agent after the 2017-18 season…I could see an off-season deal where gets dealt for a big body on an expiring contract and then they make a big play for Cousins (Durant could also be gone after that 2017-18 season)…

3. unca_chuck said, on November 8, 2016 at 8:19 am

If you don’t think Kerr is stressing defense then I disagree completely. It’s not like they are disregarding Kerr’s defensive style of play and sticking with Jackson’s version. It is merely a continuation of the same style.

Yeah, I said that last week about Klay. It’s early but he’s the one who has disappeared at times in the new set up. Yesterday’s game was a typical Dubs game. They had a 7 point lead a few minutes into the 3rd quarter. it took them all of 2 minutes to stretch the lead to 21. It took them all of another 4 minutes to fall behind. If anything, this offense is not very effective when these guys are missing. A la the Laker game. When they are forced to shoot 3s to come back, they are a lot less effective. It can work, but yesterday’s game saw KD missing 3s by the truckload. Like I said yesterday, they should be feeding KD down low to start the games. Force the issue and try to get their bigs in foul trouble early rather than trying to run a track meet every game.

Klay is a large commodity that they could get a big defender for. The problem is, he’s their best defender by a country mile. I think he’s under more pressure to defend now that Bogut and Ezekli are gone. KD’s alright on D but he can’t stop guys like Griffin or Bron Bron.

Their style of play will beat a lot of teams. This comes back to the playoffs though. They need more inside presence and more rim attacking. I think it was the 3rd quarter when I saw KD finally go to the hole.

• gianthead said, on November 8, 2016 at 10:24 am

You are right of course. I would yell all last year especially in the playoffs that Harrison Barnes and Klay needed to take the ball to the hole. My mantra to my son was that we needed another Jason Richardson who had that game. So we got an even better version in KD, so taking the ball to the hole has to be established by both KD and Klay.

Defensively, that is the rub if you lose Klay. He is the one who can cover Westbrook and Lillard and you can hide or try to hide Curry on the SG. But I think if you lost Klay, Livingston could be the shut down defender that Klay is.

4. gianthead said, on November 8, 2016 at 8:20 am

I came this close to writing in Conor Gillaspie’s name in for President….

• unca_chuck said, on November 8, 2016 at 9:58 am

lqtm. I’m always down with Bochy for president.

5. unca_chuck said, on November 8, 2016 at 8:48 am

Klay’s defensive priorities are hurting =his offense.

6. mrsprtdude said, on November 8, 2016 at 9:07 am

6 games in and I already feel like breaking up a 73 win team to get KD was a huge mistake. I foretell Dubs fans having this discussion 6 months from now. Little defense, where’s Klay, who is guarding the rim? Why can’t we beat the elite teams. The last 2 years watching the Dubs was always fun. Losing game 5 without DG? ok, game 6 in Cleveland. ok. Game 7 sucked because our players had a bad game. Actually a bad quarter. If they had played well in the 4th we win 2 in a row and the team is intact. Curry made only one basket in the 4th, and we missed our last 8 shots. I still have hope we will be back to the finals, time will tell…

7. willedav said, on November 8, 2016 at 9:36 am

Well, no question imo adding Durant Pachulia and West while losing Barnes and Bogut has negative impact on D. But 4th Q when Green was flying around everywhere and they doubled Davis repeatedly paid off.
    There isn’t a rim protector anywhere in sight, so that’s not happening. Kerr is going with his guys, his small LU and it’s up to them to get the job done
    and anyway none of the top flight Gs can stop the other guy–D Lillard C Paul and Westbrook can no more stop Curry than he can stop them.

• gianthead said, on November 8, 2016 at 10:31 am

Greg Monroe would be the guy I would keep an eye on. He has a player option for next year and very similar salary to Klay’s. You could trade one for the other next season (again, I am only suggesting this if we fall short this year) and then Monroe is a free agent and you let him go and sign Cousins…

8. Bozo said, on November 8, 2016 at 11:25 am

Man, I just heard I’m in a battleground state. I feel like I dodged a bullet by going to my polling place today without a rake.

9. chipower9 said, on November 8, 2016 at 11:35 am

Another great Stix post. Damn, I sure as hell miss that dude. I got some additional info from xoot, and will be attempting to contact Stix’s public defender as to a means to write him. More to come…been busy as hell on the work and home front, but I will make it happen. Who knows…if nothing else, if I am able to open up some snail-mail dialogue with him, I will be sure to share via the Flap. That may be as good as it gets for Stixisms…

Make it an awesome day, FU.

~102 daze until pitchers and catchers report.

• wilcojoe said, on November 8, 2016 at 3:35 pm

That’s very cool of you to do that Chi.

10. gianthead said, on November 8, 2016 at 3:44 pm

The story I believe posted by Draculoo had Giants signing Melancon at $15 mill/year. Which Flapper had projected the future closer getting $15 mill a year?????

Jansen going for $19 mill then seems like the market and Fodgers will pay that much for Jansen or the Nats will…

• alleykat69 said, on November 8, 2016 at 3:57 pm

Think it’s a mistake going after Melacon! My choice is Jansen bar far the better pitcher.He’s 3 years younger throws harder,(Fastball high 90’s, but also has a nasty cutter that works well on both LH & RH ala Marino Rivera and he’s a beast of a man that’s perfect for the closer role! Get Jansen Giants, which also hurts the Dogpile though I assume they would then go after Chapman are Melacon for table scraps imo…

• snarkk said, on November 8, 2016 at 4:31 pm

I’d take Jansen over Melancon. Jansen is 2 1/2 years younger, though only about 40 fewer MLB innings pitched. Jansen vs. Malancon career Ks / 9 innings = 14 vs. 8. Take younger, always…

11. alleykat69 said, on November 8, 2016 at 5:49 pm

Congrats to Buster Posey,Brandon Crawford,and Joe Panik winning a gold glove award!
    3 Straight for Crawdaddy!
    Posey well deserved this year over Molina, especially his high pct of gunning down runners!
    Panik highest rated defense index among 2nd basemen maybe helped get the nod for the trifecta…

12. Flavor said, on November 8, 2016 at 5:57 pm

Surprised Panik was able to muster the gusto to win a GG. He didn’t play that many games.

13. unca_chuck said, on November 8, 2016 at 6:37 pm

Holy shit. We are in the hands of a fucking mad man.

• djloo27 said, on November 8, 2016 at 6:44 pm

Good!

14. wilcojoe said, on November 8, 2016 at 7:18 pm

Nate Silver now saying Trump is the favorite to win electoral vote.

• djloo27 said, on November 8, 2016 at 7:39 pm

Shouldn’t he just shut the fuck up and disappear?

15. PaulinAsia Banh Bao said, on November 8, 2016 at 7:22 pm

I’m moving to another country. Oh, wait a minute, I already did……

• wilcojoe said, on November 8, 2016 at 7:25 pm

POTD!

• chipower9 said, on November 9, 2016 at 9:43 am

DOUBLE PLATINUM! So, Paul. How difficult is it to move to Vietnam? I think I might prefer living in a communist country compared to what we are in for at the hands of Chump and a republitard congress.

16. blade3colorado said, on November 8, 2016 at 7:37 pm

Trump President? Are you shitting me?

17. zumiee said, on November 8, 2016 at 7:46 pm

Trump would have to flip a state that he wasn’t expected to flip, and that hasn’t happened yet. Yeah, it’s disturbing to see him with a small lead in Wisconsin, but it’s still very early in the reporting there. Looks like Michigan and Wisconsin will be way closer than people thought. The Clinton campaign maybe took those states for granted and didn’t spend enough time there.

• blade3colorado said, on November 8, 2016 at 7:52 pm

You have a much better feel for what is going on than I do, but Wilco’s post about Silver projecting Trump winning the electoral college is relevant IMO. Scary. Sheesh, moving to Vietnam may be one of the best decisions of my life.

• zumiee said, on November 8, 2016 at 8:00 pm

I’m not seeing that at the 538 website. I’ll look a little more closely.

• wilcojoe said, on November 8, 2016 at 8:02 pm

He mentioned it live on ABC about an hour ago.

18. xoot said, on November 8, 2016 at 7:50 pm

three SF Giants Gold Glove winners–two of them first timers. Very nice. Good time for Posey to take over the incumbent spot from Yadier. Crawford, easy call. And Panik. I think some of the voters got ready to make this decision when they saw that DP in game 7 2014. Great election.

19. wilcojoe said, on November 8, 2016 at 8:01 pm

Tom Brokaw is starting to resemble George Burns.

• gianthead said, on November 8, 2016 at 8:25 pm

Lol completely dead on

20. gianthead said, on November 8, 2016 at 8:24 pm

This election is completely shocking…

21. gianthead said, on November 8, 2016 at 8:29 pm

If Trump holds on to Michigan, I think he wins…

• gianthead said, on November 8, 2016 at 8:29 pm

And I am in a state of shock….

• gianthead said, on November 8, 2016 at 8:31 pm

They just called Wisconsin…for Trump…she has to win Iowa then…

22. Macdog said, on November 8, 2016 at 8:35 pm

I can’t fucking believe this.

• gianthead said, on November 8, 2016 at 8:38 pm

Are we all in a nightmare? This can’t be real right???

23. xoot said, on November 8, 2016 at 9:06 pm

What do we do tomorrow?

• Macdog said, on November 8, 2016 at 9:13 pm

• xoot said, on November 8, 2016 at 9:40 pm

La Lucha Sigue!!!!

24. zumiee said, on November 8, 2016 at 9:16 pm

Wisconsin?? I did not see that coming. They really ARE cheeseheads.

• zumiee said, on November 8, 2016 at 9:17 pm

I mean, literally, their heads must be made of cheese.

25. zumiee said, on November 8, 2016 at 9:21 pm

I think I’ll be avoiding regular news media for quite a while. They did a lot to help create this monstrosity.

• blade3colorado said, on November 8, 2016 at 9:48 pm

Agree. I posted the same thing on FB about 2 months ago, saying the main stream media had given Trump legitimacy. I think the Huffington Post is the only media outlet which essentially ended, all articles and columns by saying that Trump was essentially a racist, misogynist, xenophobic imbecile.

26. djloo27 said, on November 8, 2016 at 9:44 pm

What’s everybody worried about? This is great!
    The people have spoken…

• zumiee said, on November 8, 2016 at 9:52 pm

You and I disagree on this one.

• xoot said, on November 8, 2016 at 10:00 pm

This ain’t no joke!

27. eddacker said, on November 8, 2016 at 10:41 pm

Some pundit said 7 out of 10 Trump supporters want a return to the 1950s.

Would that be strong unions, high taxes, social security and medicare (which started in the 50s?).
    One job supported a family and bought a home.

Europe is painting this, like Brexit, as anti-immigrant/isolationist. And it is reported government servers in Canada have crashed tonight while non-citizen residents search for ways to leave the states before feared problems arise.

and I’m proud to be part of the largest democratic system in the world.
    Off to watch the concession speech.

3 gold gloves, wtg Giants.

• willedav said, on November 9, 2016 at 8:36 am

return to ’50s of June Cleaver and much whiter America. they don’t like going to Safeway and hearing Farsi Punjabi or clerks and baggers talking Spanish/having Mandarin or Cantonese speakers push them off the veggies they want.
      I don’t see isolationism as much as getting back forcefully at anyone who messes with us, more like days of Ike and the Dulles brothers.

28. Macdog said, on November 8, 2016 at 10:54 pm

This is kind of like that punch-in-the-gut feeling I get after something like Game 6 in ’02, or similarly crushing losses my teams have had. Only this isn’t the silly diversion that sports is, this is real fucking life.

29. pawliekokonuts said, on November 8, 2016 at 10:59 pm

we’ve been Brexited

30. djloo27 said, on November 8, 2016 at 11:02 pm

You guys worry too much.
    Have a drink…

• Macdog said, on November 8, 2016 at 11:07 pm

I am, the last of a bottle of sangria.

31. unca_chuck said, on November 8, 2016 at 11:03 pm

Can you say limited nuclear war with China? If you haven’t read up on the south China Sea, well, this looks to be the beginning.

• djloo27 said, on November 8, 2016 at 11:07 pm

I’m way more worried about our bullpen…

• willedav said, on November 9, 2016 at 8:32 am

Evans was at the Holland showcase, along with 18 other teams.

• blade3colorado said, on November 9, 2016 at 1:48 am

Thanks for reminding me Chuck . . . and I’m moving to Vietnam. Only good news is that the winds usually blow east, so all nuclear fallout will go towards California.

• unca_chuck said, on November 9, 2016 at 7:38 am

Good morning viet nam! Jesus. This isn’t a braved new world, it’s a scared old one.

And he market was UP when I left for work. Tell ya one thing I’m not paying taxes this year. Good enough for the prez, good enough for me.

32. blade3colorado said, on November 9, 2016 at 8:00 am

Yeah, and I would be lying if I said I wasn’t shitting bricks about the round-the-world markets, especially the S&P pre-market, i.e., 2 days ago, I transferred over $120k into an S&P Index fund. Great day Monday . . . not so much watching the pre-market today, while you and other Flappers slept. I was easily going to be down $25-30k at one point when the DOW was down 800 plus points.

Fast forward this morning (my night), Trump’s soothing “unity” speech calmed the US markets. HOPE HIS STAFF KEEPS HIS HANDS OFF HIS FUCKING TWITTER ACCOUNT!!!!!

33. chipower9 said, on November 9, 2016 at 9:50 am

I am just in absolute shock. I went to bed last night with an ominous feeling about the outcome of our election, and when I woke at around 2 to take a leak, Gail told me that Trump had won. I felt like I had been kicked in the stomach.

This isn’t so much about who is president (although it is daunting when you consider that the repubs held the senate). What is more scary to me is the appointment of the next supreme court justice. In that regards, we really could go back 50 years.

Loo – I am glad you are taking it so calmly. I need a drink…a couple of ’em. Make ’em doubles.

34. chipower9 said, on November 9, 2016 at 9:53 am

FYI – FU, I did send an email to Stix’s lawyer. I will give it a couple of days, and if nothing, will follow-up with another email, and also send off a letter via snail mail.

Congrats to our three GG winners. Panik was a surprise, but I cannot say he was not deserving. He was hurt for much of the year, and had an off year at the plate, but when he is healthy, I think he if he is not the best out there at 2nd base, he is damned sure close. I still like the kid alot, even though I know a few here want to package him in a trade.

35. snarkk said, on November 9, 2016 at 10:33 am

Trump’s followers have sent a message, that they are tired of the SOS. Well, they will get their wish. Trump owes nothing to the Dems or the GOP establishment. He’s a blank slate, and can do what he wants limited by the structural limits of the separation of powers. Hopefully that will be enough to contain a disaster presidency. What if he is found liable for massive fraud in the San Diego trial beginning later this month? I can see that if he goes off on his own, the GOP House would impeach him, so they can stuff that order taker putz Pence into the White House. Trump has never shown in his entire adult life any proclivity to look out for anybody but himself — so all his followers thinking he will somehow take care of their situation are likely in for a surprise. A few weeks ago I told Mrs. snarkk my old tried and true re: this election — never underestimate the stupidity of the American public…

• chipower9 said, on November 9, 2016 at 10:52 am

Not much to disagree with from my perspective, Tom. Good synopsis.

• unca_chuck said, on November 9, 2016 at 12:08 pm

36. chipower9 said, on November 9, 2016 at 10:54 am

Driving into work this morning I caught Steve Earle’s Copperhead Road. Love that song. The last verse sure reminded me of Stix and the day it all went down for him:

I volunteered for the Army on my birthday
    They draft the white trash first,’round here anyway
    I done two tours of duty in Vietnam
    And I came home with a brand new plan
    I take the seed from Colombia and Mexico
    I plant it up the holler down Copperhead Road
    Well the D.E.A.’s got a chopper in the air
    I wake up screaming like I’m back over there
    I learned a thing or two from ol’ Charlie don’t you know
    You better stay away from Copperhead Road…

FreeStix!

37. chipower9 said, on November 9, 2016 at 10:59 am

And what the hell…a live version of Copperhead Road…

38. zumiee said, on November 9, 2016 at 11:46 am

“never underestimate the stupidity of the American public…”

Mark Twain wrote extensively of that. In “Huck Finn,” two con men are talking, and one of them says something like: “Don’t worry. The fools in the town are on our side; and in any town that’s a majority.”

• Macdog said, on November 9, 2016 at 11:56 am

H.L. Mencken: “No one in this world, so far as I know — and I have searched the records for years, and employed agents to help me — has ever lost money by underestimating the intelligence of the great masses of the plain people. Nor has anyone ever lost public office thereby.”

39. unca_chuck said, on November 9, 2016 at 12:09 pm

” . . . never underestimate the stupidity of the American people . . .”

My mom told me this for as long as I can remember.

Yeah, there’s really no blueprint for the next 4 years. I felt nearly as bad when I voted for the first time (as an Independent) and saw Ronnie Raygun get elected. I thought we were going down in an apocalyptic fireball of assured nuclear destruction.

Kinda got that same feelling. I’m fairly sure it won’t come to pass, but there’s nothing in the Donald’s make-up that leads me to believe that he knows anything about the state of thew world and the subtleties he needs to move forward.

40. snarkk said, on November 9, 2016 at 12:47 pm

I think it will be another Reagan, only worse, and without the sentiment. Trump really is a despicable human, Ronny at least had some semblance of empathy, he grew up fairly poor. It would appear that at age 70, it is unlikely Trump will change his spots. Who knows — he’s a con man, so maybe he conned the GOP, and he’ll turn into a moderate. He used to be a moderate in many ways, speaking re: social welfare sphere…

41. unca_chuck said, on November 9, 2016 at 1:59 pm

Yeah, I mean it’s alre3ady happening. The first thing out of Reince Priebus’s mouith is that mass deportations aren’t going to happen.

The backpedalling has begun, and the Donald hasn’t been president-elect for 10 hours.

42. unca_chuck said, on November 9, 2016 at 2:01 pm

Early in the campaign he said he’s bring in a single payer option for healthcare. He said no one would be left uncovered. Between that and the removal of state restrictions for health care, I actually agreed with him on that.

43. chipower9 said, on November 9, 2016 at 2:14 pm

I will say one more thing on the election process, and I said the same damned thing the year that Bush beat Gore. Our country needs a constitutional amendment to shitcan the Electoral College. IMO, it should be a straight vote of the people.

Speaking of popular vote, Clinton currently leads with 59,794,938 votes to 59,588,437 votes for Trump.

I am outta here in about an hour, and plan to take Loo’s advice and have a drink, or three.

• djloo27 said, on November 9, 2016 at 2:21 pm

They’re waiting for us at Professor Thom’s, Chi (which I didn’t realize is a notorious Red Sox bar).
      I love asking old Red Sox fans to spell “Yastrzemski”. The failure rate is 98%…

• unca_chuck said, on November 9, 2016 at 2:26 pm

Shit, half of ’em couldn’t spell ‘Carl’

• snarkk said, on November 9, 2016 at 2:24 pm

That’s about as divided as you can be. It’s basically the Northeast, some parts of the upper Midwest, and the West Coast, vs. the rest of the flyover country. I thought the days of Reagan v. Tip O’Neil were lame. Hell, that was gov’t at its finest compared to what’s been going on, and what will be going on. This federal government can’t even agree on spending money to fight against the Zika virus … they all go home to fundraisers instead of agreeing to fund eradicating mosquitoes, and a vaccine developed…

44. unca_chuck said, on November 9, 2016 at 2:35 pm

Well, there was a time I thought term limits would come to pass. Now it may be removed for the president.

45. unca_chuck said, on November 9, 2016 at 2:38 pm

Snarkk, don’t discount the reason why this country was so divided. This outcome spells it out pretty starkly.

I think with a white guy in the oval office, the deep divides will fade away as trump backpedals on his rhetoric like every other right wing nut job. the only difference here is that trump will move to the middle AFTER the election.

46. Macdog said, on November 9, 2016 at 2:56 pm

My favorite click-bait headline today comes from the NY Times:

It Is Possible for Trump To Be a Good President

He just needs to forget most of what he said on the campaign trail

47. zumiee said, on November 9, 2016 at 3:19 pm

There are many thousands of people in Kentucky who voted for the guy who wants to get rid of Obamacare, even though, you guessed it, their health insurance is Obamacare. A lot of them probably don’t even know it, because Kentucky changed the name of it to Kynect.

48. djloo27 said, on November 9, 2016 at 5:18 pm

Nightingale says Giants are meeting with Chapman’s reps who are supposedly seeking $100 million for 5 years.
    No way he gets close to that from the Giants.
    I don’t think he’ll get that from anyone – maybe 4/75 max…

49. PaulinAsia Banh Bao said, on November 9, 2016 at 5:54 pm

Trump isn’t really a *Republican*. He was running as himself, for himself. The GOP, and GOP voters, were conned into being the vehicle he would ride to the White House. I think most Trump supporters, uneducated as they apparently are according to Trump himself, weren’t really voting Republican, they were voting Trump. They actually created a legitimate independent candidate, except he was running as a Republican. This *could* possibly result in Republicans in Congress not always feeling the need to side with him, and you could see some Dems side with him as he shifts back to who he really is. Whatever that is. Can only hope that Trump the President will be very different from Trump the Candidate, and I’m guessing he will. To his diehard followers, I would say, be careful what you ask for……

50. Flavor said, on November 9, 2016 at 6:02 pm