Guys I Don’t Know on The 40 Man

Posted in Uncategorized by Flavor on November 10, 2016

Saw that Ian (Who?) Gardeck was added to the 40 man. Checked the 40 man to see who else I didn’t know. I saw Daniel Carbonell still on it. The lesson at the time, and it’s still a sound one, is to not try to sign a Cuban player on the cheap. Maybe 10 years ago, but scouting is too strong now. You aren’t going to find a diamond in the rough for a couple mil.

Ray (Who?) Black is on the 40 man. Checked his stats. They are a wild ride. 31 innings last year at Richmond. 32 walks. 53 K’s. lol. He’s on the 60 day DL.

Disappointed in the protests last night. Those dunderheads are literally protesting against free democratic elections. I have to fly out of Oakland tomorrow morning. If 880 is fucked up because of some stupid ass protest I am going to be pissed.

1. willedav said, on November 10, 2016 at 8:23 am

Blade I just read US stocks soared. I think there is real possibility GOP led Congress weakens Dodd-Frank or any other bills designed to adversely affect big banks/big biz.
    Anything Obama did with climate change/carbon emissions aimed at energy titans will be dialed back if not eliminated.
    I saw on Fox (at the gym doing cardio, ugh) a 4 Star General talking about how unprepared American military is do to 8 yr drawdown under the O, now allies don’t respect or trust us yada yada. Trump has done a lot of saber rattling here and I’m betting defense gets another big payday.

2. chipower9 said, on November 10, 2016 at 8:57 am

~ 101 daze until pitchers and catchers report…

Unfortunately, I think WillieD is right in regards to Dodd-Frank and environmental issues/bills in general.

I am all for a strong military, but there needs to be balance, IMO.

Also, the fact that the republitards will choose the next supreme court justice could set us back 50 years in many ways…

“People ask me what I do in the winter when there is no baseball. I’ll tell you what I do. I stare out the window and wait for spring.”
    -Rogers Hornsby

3. willedav said, on November 10, 2016 at 9:57 am

Greg Ballard dead at 61. Mid 70s stand out at Oregon along with Ron Lee, still holds school record for rebounds. Rookie year with Bullets they won only title in their history over Sonics.

Listened to some of Pavs talking about closer market. He said Giants waiting to see what kind of $$$ are being thrown around for Chapman/Jansen, maybe $15-18 per at x amount of years, Melancon the fall back as cheaper option. $5 yrs/ $75+…would you do that?

Side note: in Passan’s book he details how close Giants were to getting Lester last year with big offer on the table and in house presence. Ultimately it came down to Cubs being closer to family in South, Georgia I think.

• Flavor said, on November 10, 2016 at 10:10 am

I think the west coast, and especially SF area, turns off a lot of dudes no matter what they get offered.

• willedav said, on November 10, 2016 at 10:21 am

Why do you think that is? Yard is friendly to pitchers and usually full.
        I know we’re not playing baseball right now, but it was mid 70s and sunny here in south bay yesterday, and gals were in sleeveless dresses and sandals. Weather here is lot milder, winter and summer than Midwest/east coast or south.

• Flavor said, on November 10, 2016 at 10:30 am

it’s just all the social stuff. Most baseball players are good ol’ boys or dudes from the DR. Settling into the SF lifestyle doesn’t really jive with either of those 2 crowds…….

• chipower9 said, on November 10, 2016 at 10:48 am

Yes, we (those of us who live in NorCal or the Bay Area) know how wonderful it all is to live in NorCal, but if you have grown-up in the south or Midwest, etc. and have family there, that is your roots, and there is something to be said about that. I had no problem making that transition when I came to CA in 1977 with the Air Force. I loved the area, and knew in a few months that this would be my new home. I still appreciate my roots and growing-up in Oklahoma (it was a great place to grow up as a kid, but no way I would ever move back there). For some folks that transition is not as easy, or never happens.

• gianthead said, on November 10, 2016 at 5:52 pm

But we have been lucky that the Bum and Posey and the good Cain years, all Southern boys, really acclimated well to the Bay Area. But I think the Bay area was a big attraction to KD….NOT THAT THERE. IS ANYTHING WRONG WITH OKLAHOMA!

4. alleykat69 said, on November 10, 2016 at 10:35 am

Agree Willied,
    A lot of these players are just pansies settling for less sometimes, which is rare ,and end up playing with losers!
    Maybe families don’t want to relocate but that’s a poor excuse with what all California has to offer…

5. unca_chuck said, on November 10, 2016 at 11:22 am

Yeah, Keystone pipeline is back on. Drill baby drill. Wonder what the Donald’s take on the DAPL will be.

6. unca_chuck said, on November 10, 2016 at 11:24 am

Wounded Knee?

7. unca_chuck said, on November 10, 2016 at 11:26 am

I think taxes play a huge part in guys decisions as to where they play as well. Grienke make out like a bandit not paying CA state and property taxes. Fla is the same.

• alleykat69 said, on November 10, 2016 at 2:07 pm

Fuck Grienke let him play for the Reno Aces the Diamondback AAA team. He still doesn’t have to pay state tax..

8. Irish Kevin said, on November 10, 2016 at 2:14 pm

People are really freaked out over Trump, I just received a call asking if Trump will affect her CalPERS retirement.

9. Irish Kevin said, on November 10, 2016 at 2:20 pm

And this headline is just plain worrisome

Universities offer counseling and ‘healing spaces’ to students distraught over Trump win

Read more here: http://www.sacbee.com/news/local/education/article113811743.html#storylink=cpy

• Irish Kevin said, on November 10, 2016 at 2:22 pm

Seriously, what are these young adults going to do if they get fired from a job or they get passed over for a promotion?? All you UC Davis students please step away from the ledge!!

10. pawliekokonuts said, on November 10, 2016 at 2:25 pm

I enjoyed Stix’s concise history of Iceland yesterday.

• Flavor said, on November 10, 2016 at 2:29 pm

Sure. It sounded made up to me but what do I know?

11. Flavor said, on November 10, 2016 at 2:28 pm

• sandog said, on November 10, 2016 at 3:14 pm

Fun Fact: My oldest brother went to UC Riverside at the same time as John “Tonight, Let It Be Lowenstein”

12. zumiee said, on November 10, 2016 at 3:13 pm

Giants are doing their usual courting of big-name free agents. We’re awesome at being the runner-up choice, though, other than Cueto.

13. zumiee said, on November 10, 2016 at 3:17 pm

Arrietta, Trump-supporter, was talking some smack after the election. Why? It did nothing but make Arrietta look like a doofus. I lost any respect I had for him. I hope his career goes in the toilet next season.

14. Bozo said, on November 10, 2016 at 3:52 pm

I read where we missed out on Miller last year because the Giants weren’t willing to include Panik in the deal with the Yanks. I wonder what the whole package was if including Panik was the tipping point?

15. unca_chuck said, on November 10, 2016 at 4:24 pm

Yeah, it’s baffling. I can see protesting cops murdering black people, even Kaepernick’s lame-ass protest is at least doing some good, but protesting the results of an election? If I see any of these clowns on Montgomery St, I’m going to ask a few questions.

I mean, I was nearly physically ill Tuesday night as the results kept coming in, and I may need to move to Costa Rica if Trump starts some shit with Iran, and the draft is reinstituted, but really, surviving Bush II should prepare us for some of this.

Although I hear there was a spike in crimes against minorities since Tuesday. Don’t know the validity of that, but a friend of mine that teaches in Napa said he’s witnessed white kids shouting at the Hispanic kids that they are going to get deported. Middle school is hell already and all, but that’s pretty fucked up.

16. unca_chuck said, on November 10, 2016 at 4:26 pm

Can’t wait to hear what Curt Schilling has to say. And I wonder what a lot of these people will say when he doesn’t come through on nearly everything he campaigned on. Mass deportations is already off the table.

The ban on Muslins is likely next. It disappeared from his website apparently.

17. djloo27 said, on November 10, 2016 at 4:26 pm

Trump has children and grandchildren, too. Do you think he wants to blow up the world?

• djloo27 said, on November 10, 2016 at 4:27 pm

and a hot wife…

• zumiee said, on November 10, 2016 at 5:41 pm

His biographer said the guy is probably a sociopath. The nation just handed over the presidency to a sociopath.

18. gianthead said, on November 10, 2016 at 5:44 pm

“Hey hey ho ho, free and fair democratic elections have got to go….”

• zumiee said, on November 10, 2016 at 7:45 pm

There was an FBI dirty trick at the end of the campaign that may have been the decider. But, also, Hillary should have never let Weiner’s wife be part of her campaign. Allowing Weiner to get that close to her campaign had trouble written all over it.

19. gianthead said, on November 10, 2016 at 6:04 pm

In a brief (your welcome Flav) political commentary, I am not sure Trump will go along with just a blanket repeal of Dodd-Frank. There was a reason Wall St was sucking on Hillary’s proverbial teet. Trump has been no friends of WALL St and hedge funds. His buddies have typically been the corporate CEO
    types.

One thing will certainly happen in regard to defense is that troops in Cold War spots like Germany, South Korea and Japan are going to be pulled home. I’m a believer that wr can probably spend half of what we do on defense. The budget hawks in Congress will fight an automatic scrapping of sequestarition. Certainly there will be a revision, not sure of a scrapping of the Iran deal, and maybe more sanctions driven by Congress. Trump is going to be in full fledged Putin sucking mode and he will not want to stick Putin in the eye on Iran and Syria. Look for a deal on Syria where Assad steps away but his Alawite tribe maintains control of the country. Only win for us post-destruction of ISIS will be an uncertain level of autonomy for the non-Alawite Sunnis and Kurds…

• willedav said, on November 10, 2016 at 8:34 pm

well, one of the F-News things brought up and that Clinton has been hammered on repeatedly is for abandoning Benghazi. Add to that the San Bernardino attack and their theme is keeping America safe. I don’t see any draw down of defense, tho I certainly agree America could spend less. The General I listened to this AM complained that Russia and China have more advanced tanks and technology. Classic scare tactics, but Trump followers eat this stuff up.
      This is the classic Republican move when they get the chance—take down as many social programs as they can (Planned Parenthood clearly in their sights) and pump up the Pentagon budget. Also feeds pork barrel for congressmen and their constituents.

20. pawliekokonuts said, on November 10, 2016 at 7:10 pm

“My man” Leonard Cohen, dead at 82.

• pawliekokonuts said, on November 10, 2016 at 7:18 pm

sorry for the obscenely bloated link.

• snarkk said, on November 10, 2016 at 8:39 pm

tinyurl.com, pawlie…

• eddacker said, on November 10, 2016 at 11:07 pm

What a talent.

Oh, and . . . goo.gl (not a typo)

21. Macdog said, on November 10, 2016 at 7:48 pm

Checking in from Virginia Beach. It’s a blue state, so I feel somewhat safe here,

22. Flavor said, on November 10, 2016 at 7:50 pm

23. Macdog said, on November 10, 2016 at 8:05 pm

Catching up on the posts, damn, didn’t know about Greg Ballard and Leonard Cohen. I remember Ballard from his Bullets days, got little PT as a rookie behind Big E and Unseld on the title team, but when he did play he more than held his on, and went on to have a good career.

• willedav said, on November 10, 2016 at 8:27 pm

Hey man, saw that Isiah Whitehead from the Hall (and Brooklyn) got a start for the Nets and did pretty well but now is out with concussion; hit his head on the floor is all I read.

• Macdog said, on November 10, 2016 at 8:33 pm

Yeah, got the start with Lin out and had a pretty good game vs.T-Wolves but got his head stepped on by one of the T-Wolves and had to sit out the Knicks game. I still think he should’ve stayed at the Hall one more year, he easily would’ve been a 1st-rounder next year.

24. Macdog said, on November 10, 2016 at 8:18 pm

Re unca’s 4:24: Lots to be found about hate already on minorites, here’s one example:

• Macdog said, on November 10, 2016 at 8:20 pm

Damn, didn’t mean to have it all show up like that, feel free to delete this if it’s messing up the blog.

• zumiee said, on November 11, 2016 at 2:28 am

Thanks for posting it.

25. snarkk said, on November 10, 2016 at 8:46 pm

Trump’s inner circle looks like a bunch of loons, crooks and crackers. Giuliani, Christie, Gingrich, and Jeff Sessions — the Alabama senator about as near a KKKer as you get. Sessions was nominated for a federal judgeship in the ’80s, and the senate voted him down after some pretty nasty stuff came out. He’ll probably be nominated to the Supreme Court, so he can revive the Dred Scott decision…

26. PaulinAsia Banh Bao said, on November 10, 2016 at 9:10 pm

Yeah, I’m actually less bothered by or *scared* of Trump himself than I am his minions. Man, are we really going to have to be subjected to Giuiliani for the next 4 years? Who Trump surrounds himself with could be what really gets scary. One thing, though, that might be different from, say, the Reagan years, or the W years: those 2 guys weren’t really running the country, they were just figureheads, more or less. Trump will need advice, a LOT, but he won’t just be a puppet of behind the scenes idiots. (The idiocy might be right up front)….

27. xoot said, on November 10, 2016 at 9:11 pm

Sessions is 70 years old. We’ll be lucky if that’s the right-wing crank trump chooses to fill the seat Scalia vacated. We’ll be less lucky if trump’s people find a similarly bent appointee who happens to be 20 years younger. Personally, I’m trying to compare trump’s crew with the despicable bunch who followed Reagan to DC in 1980. It’ll be tough to go lower than Ed Meese, for example. We’ve been through Nixon, Reagan/Bush and Bush II. This new fiasco may not be much worse.

28. PaulinAsia Banh Bao said, on November 10, 2016 at 9:12 pm

And of course very dismaying to have to deal with Trump supporters, who so far seem to want to continue and even expand the messages of hate now that they’ve won. Terrible.

• Macdog said, on November 10, 2016 at 9:19 pm

This really isn’t surprsing after a campaign platform that was based on intolerance and hate.

• PaulinAsia Banh Bao said, on November 10, 2016 at 10:01 pm

No, not surprising. But Trump should address his deplorables and tell them to knock it off if it continues….

29. blade3colorado said, on November 10, 2016 at 11:00 pm

Willie, yes the stock market continues to rally, albeit, tech was hurt severely. Trump hates Bezos of Amazon and they really took a hit. I was affected by Apple, where investors are of two minds: 1. They will be severely hurt by protectionism (China especially) via trade tariffs; or, 2. They will receive a “bank holiday” where they will be able to bring home the $240 billion from overseas and not be taxed outrageously.

As I alluded to above, I own Apple and was impacted yesterday. However, I made a recent investment in Wells Fargo at a 52 week low and was rewarded handsomely the last two days. Same deal with the S&P investment I made.

Disagree with a military buildup, as Trump is an isolationist and will likely pull us out of these mid-east adventures. IMO, a good thing. In short, we’re stuck with Trump and until he fucks up, I’m down with giving him the benefit of the doubt.

30. unca_chuck said, on November 11, 2016 at 8:42 am

A short leash but a long stick. Fuck. Is Trump running along the line of Rand Paul and pulling our troops out of Germany/Japan/Bumfuckistan? I haven’t heard either way.

Curious to me is healthcare because he said early on that he would institute the single payer option. He was adamant that it wasn’t socialized medicine, but he hammered repeatedly that no one would be left covered and that single payer would be an option..

31. unca_chuck said, on November 11, 2016 at 8:45 am

And #1 on his ‘first 100 days’ list was term limits for congress.

Something I absofuckinglutely agree with. Yertle the Turtle (Mitch McConnell) IMMEDIATELY raised a red flag on that.

Like I said 2 months ago, if he somehow gets elected, he’ll likely be obstructed from both sides of the aisle.

4 more years! Of government stagnation.