Steering Clear of the Fools

Posted in Uncategorized by Flavor on November 11, 2016

I’m out for a few days. Just checked and 580 already had protesters crawling around on it a few hours ago. Still praying those idiots stay off 880. If they shut it down, I have to drive to Millbrae and take BART to the airport. LOL. I’ve never taken BART, that would be interesting…..

Any time Stix references something in his backyard I am fucking posting it. lqtm.

#FreeStix! RPOTD

stickman said, on June 26, 2014 at 9:20 am (Edit)

Amazing, those flips in this game. Yesterday afternoon i was in the south garden pulling out weeds and hilling the potatoes with fresh compost ~ battling all the way with the ladies of the night who were out in full force as it was a coolish, cloudy day up here in the Northwoods. Down on the knees a lot of the time and i mean to tell you Minnesota mosquitos, though not known as carrying any pathogens, are some of the nastiest ankle-biters around~ especially when one is wearing sandals. Finally got through the potatoes and it was time for a break. Knew the game was on but with those two previous mismatches between the Giants and Padres, i was in no great hurry.

Tuned into the Yahoo feed and wow! Giants up four zip. Then glanced at the lines and gasped. Seven innings and San Diego had TWO zeros posted. After another bases loaded, one out and no runs scored there came the usual reversion. Opposing team AB and switch over to the in-box to deal with what’s going on in the world and all those good causes who absolutely need my signing in on some petition or another. Dealt with some of that and then very cautiously nosed into the game feed again. Giants batting in the bottom of the 8th and same line for San Diego. Whew! Good through 8.

Curious as hell but no way was i gonna upset Jobu and break our little compact. Giants went down in the bottom of the 8th and it was now crunch time. Back to the e-mail inbox. Went through some more business but mind was not really on it. Finally got up the gumption to return to the Yahoo feed. Final score SF 4-SD 0. YaHOO indeed. Timmy!

1. willedav said, on November 11, 2016 at 8:36 am

Used to take BART often to go watch A’s games. Usually only issue was parking in Fremont or elsewhere.

Read rumor story Dodgers might be after Verlander who had great comeback season last year but is still owed ton of money. Tigers apparently open to trade talks on big salary guys like Miggy and maybe J D Martinez.
    Only guy I might have been interested in was Cameron Maybin as CF option but he was quickly picked up.

Again, my biggest fear is Evans getting outmaneuvered by LA. Dodgers have a lot of issues/FAs but did manage to win the division (arrggh) despite losing Opie and others for protracted time frame.
    If they can bring back Jansen and Turner (Evans said Giants OK with Nunez and not interested) it would be big.
    And as has been noted they don’t have a problem paying unproductive players to play elsewhere or not at all…unlike Giants

• zumiee said, on November 11, 2016 at 8:43 am

We’ll see how serious the Giants brass is about winning the division, in the next few months.

2. unca_chuck said, on November 11, 2016 at 10:01 am

Melancon should be the guy they make the play for. He’s perceived as a lower tier guy than the shooter, so he won’t be as steep. Like Cueto vs Greinke last year. He turned out alright , , , hate it when I post stuff to the earlier thread.

• zumiee said, on November 11, 2016 at 11:09 am

I went back and read those posts. Good points. I guess the X-factor is how engaged Trump will be with the job. (Did he ever really understand he was running for a JOB?)
      I suspect Pence will be his Cheney and have a large amount of power. Pence is pretty much a nightmare.
      I haven’t watched TV news since the election. It’s going to be a long time before I do. Maybe years. I’m not kidding. The mainstream news media aided Trump’s rise to power, all in the name of ratings. They’ve become totally worthless. A complete waste of time.

Kudos to Kerr and many others in the sports world for speaking out.

• unca_chuck said, on November 11, 2016 at 5:22 pm

That’s whats so stupid. He raised some decent points among the incendiary bullshit.

3. Flavor said, on November 11, 2016 at 1:04 pm

Dirt if u haven’t done so, check that Facebook message I left you

4. djloo27 said, on November 11, 2016 at 3:45 pm

Jeff Passan ‏@JeffPassan 4h4 hours ago

Giants official early this week: “We are getting one of the big closers.” Mark Melancon scheduled to be in SF today for an in-person visit.

5. blade3colorado said, on November 11, 2016 at 7:36 pm

Agree completely with what Zum said about TV news. Disgusting what the media has done. Even the promos for TV news (see CNN) makes it seem like you are about to watch a World Wrestling Federation Championship match or some other nonsense. One of the main reasons I cut the cord in 2012 was because of the fake drama they gave the Romney and Obama election, i.e., emphasizing how close it was . . . when in fact, Obama cleaned his clock.

Oh, and a pox on all pollsters.

6. gianthead said, on November 11, 2016 at 8:12 pm

Zumiee, trust me on this one. I know Mike Pence very well. He is one of the most decent family oriented men I have been around Capitol Hill in my 22 years here. Him being picked by Trump to be VP was the smartest thing he had done during the election.
    Trump also handing the responsibility for the transition today instead of Christie is a reflection of the faith they have in Pence. We may not agree with all of Pence’s social views, but the man’s decency will be something Trump relies on to help build the new administration and push their agenda. Again, we may not agree on their policies but Pence is a true public servant. He has not been in this game for enrichment or power and that is a very rare thing in Washington.

• blade3colorado said, on November 11, 2016 at 8:40 pm

Down with what you said Peter. I think he will be a “calming” influence to Trump (or at least I hope he will be). Him being elevated to the head of the transition team is a smart move and again, I agree with you about what you said regarding Christie. He is about to be indicted and/or impeached by the State of New Jersey (comments Mac?), so making him persona non grata at Trump Tower had to be done.

That being said, Trump is such a clown, that everything has a “wait and see” cloud hanging over all his thoughts, statements, and actions. What a fucking nightmare.

• gianthead said, on November 12, 2016 at 1:33 pm

I don’t disagree Blade…

7. blade3colorado said, on November 11, 2016 at 8:19 pm

More people voted in 2012 than 2016.
    Trump did not appear to turn out a large army of supporters. Trump had 1 million fewer people voting for him than voted for Romney in 2012
    Clinton had 5 million fewer people voting for her than voted for Obama in 2012.
    4.2 million more voters voted for alternative candidates (Johnson, Stein, others) in 2016 than 2012; it appears that many who voted for the alternative candidates came from the potential Clinton camp.

Total vote count

2016: 126.0 million
    2012: 128.7 million
    Alternative candidates (Johnson and Stein and others)

2016: 6.1 m.
    2012: 1.9 m.
    2016 election

Hillary Clinton: 60,071,781 popular votes (47.7%)(228 electoral votes)
    Donald Trump: 59,791,135 popular votes (47.5%)(290 electoral votes)
    Gary Johnson: 4,102,585 popular votes (3%)
    Jill Stein: 1,228,862 popular votes (1%)
    Other candidates: 817,850
    TOTAL: 126,012,213
    2012 election

Barack Obama: 65,915,795 popular votes (51.1%) (332 electoral votes)
    Mitt Romney: 60,933,504 popular votes (47.2%) (206 electoral votes)
    Gary Johnson: 1,275,951 popular votes (0.99%)
    Jill Stein: 469,628 popular votes (0.36%)
    Other candidates: 173,197
    TOTAL: 128,768,075

• gianthead said, on November 12, 2016 at 1:39 pm

It is like the 1992 election. Bush Sr. did not lose because of Perry, Bush failed to get Republicans to turn out for him. If he held 90% of Repubs (this is going way back so trying to remember the numbers) he likely would have won. Again, history has it as a big loss but it was something like a flip of 100,000 votes from Clinton to Bush would have won 4-5 states and Bush would have won enough electoral votes.

• gianthead said, on November 12, 2016 at 1:40 pm

Sorry not Perry but frickin Perot…

8. blade3colorado said, on November 11, 2016 at 10:12 pm

High five to Pops of San Antonio . . . Always a social conscious individual, he is appalled by what the American people did on election day. He said in part:

“I’m a rich white guy, and I’m sick to my stomach thinking about it. I can’t imagine being a Muslim right now, or a woman, or an African American, a Hispanic, a handicapped person. How disenfranchised they might feel. And for anyone in those groups that voted for him, it’s just beyond my comprehension how they ignore all of that. My final conclusion is, my big fear is—we are Rome.”

9. snarkk said, on November 11, 2016 at 10:41 pm

The US is following the hegemonic power theory of global domination. Since the middle ages, there have been four hegemonic powers in the world, defined by their global economic and social reach, and use of their currency as a world currency. Global hegemony lasts anywhere between 80 -120 years. First, Portugal, then the Netherlands. Then, third was England in two separate waves, which extended itself around the globe to North America, Australia, mid East, and later in India and Far East before its colonies proved too far away and too hard to handle. Then, the US, after the end of WW II, with military bases around the world, and the world trade denominated in US dollars. The US hegemony is now nearing decline, as we are nearing 80 years since the end of WWII. We’ve overextend outselves financially and military,and though our currency is still the global currency, our ecponmic power and miliatry power is in decline. In ascendency as the 5th hegemoinc power — China…

• gianthead said, on November 12, 2016 at 1:40 pm

Snark, what happened to Spain???

• gianthead said, on November 12, 2016 at 1:50 pm

Snarkk, let me posit one argument that separates us from the aforementioned powers (and of course you could have probably thrown Rome into the mix of the argument). None of the other hegemonic powers were democracies. If we as a people can right the ship and I have no prophesy that it can, could or will happen (but if the powers of this new administration would just listen to me…all problems would be solved 😘), but we have the power as a people to rectify the problems each of the last 5-7 administrations had left us. Shit, if I were Harry Truman, I would have told the French to get the fuck out of Vietnam that the era of empires was dead. That one failure changed American foreign policy for the worst for 30-40 years….who knows? Vietnam under Ho Chi Minh may have turned into a bulwark against communism.

There is also the argument that the early Roman Republic with its early “democratic” structures is what allowed their empire to dominate and that once it turned into successive dictators is when their empire began to crumble.

10. zumiee said, on November 11, 2016 at 10:44 pm

Pence wants to invalidate all gay marriages; he wants businesses to be able to refuse service to gay people if they want to. I don’t see anything decent about that.
    He believes that if a woman gets pregnant from being raped, she should be forced by law to have the child. He believes in rapist’s parental rights.
    He’s American Taliban, in my opinion.

• snarkk said, on November 11, 2016 at 11:14 pm

Totally agree. Also the luckiest dude in the US, next to maybe Rohand. He was headed for certain defeat for re-election for gov in Indiana, and political exile. Now VP and Trump’s right wing consigliere. The guy is a virulent anti-abortionist and black hearted psuedo Christian, essentially a Pharisee that trumpets being a Christian, then acts like a Brown Shirt. He repeatedly lied like a rug in his debate about Trump, and on the stump. I wouldn’t trust this guy to mow my back yard or feed the snarkkmutt without watching him like a hawk. Former radio talk show host. If you cynically Hail Mary hitch your falling star to Trump and cover his ass constantly as part of your job description, you are at least as low as he is, or worse. It doesn’t take much to be better than Chris Christie. Screw Pence, his snake oil smile, fake Christian facade, and his all-too-real war on women…

• gianthead said, on November 12, 2016 at 2:25 pm

Snarkk, I posted some thoughts below but it got put in the wrong spot. Pence would have won re-election easily. They won all three top races in the state, Presidential, Gov and Senator.

But if you can’t take my words about his deceny as a person, which is what I was attesting to, he had been kind and considerate to my family that few politicians would have gone out of their way to express and just want to make him into a caricature and call him names, then there is not much hope in this country to make these next four years better for our country. We either want to make things better as a country (and I was very supportive of the budget deal that Obama struck with Boehner but then the House Repubs turned in Boehner and refused to pass it and hoped that deal would have made the economy, growth and deficit and debt all better) or we want to keep bickering for 4 more years that one side is a group of fascists and the other side is a group of communists, then there is no hope for us as a country to solve our problems….

• gianthead said, on November 12, 2016 at 2:26 pm

Of course I really was also trying to catch Zume’s, not just Snarkk, original comment…

• snarkk said, on November 12, 2016 at 7:55 pm

GH, I’ve never met Pence. Apparently you have.
        His policies are abominable to me and millions of others in this country.
        A person can be outwardly a prince.
        Just ask Machiavelli…

11. eddacker said, on November 11, 2016 at 11:17 pm

As a logical, socially conscious thinking person I understand the stress and pain that this unusual election has given us. And most of the free world feels it, too. There was a lot of vile hate for the system as it is perceived to be today. And now that hate is being told it is right.
    My favorite alternative FM station has been playing, for 2 days now, songs emphasizing peace, love and understanding; freedom, carefulness and compassion.
    I pray democracy is stronger than one election’s results.
    I pray for the return of baseball.

12. Flavor said, on November 12, 2016 at 7:20 am

I’m in Reno with all my college buddies. There’s something to be said for friendships that last a lifetime. Dirt is in Reno too, will try to hook up with him for a beer later. I appreciate what GH said about Pence but what Zumiee said is the real deal and I can’t feel anything but dislike for a guy like that. anyway, go do something that makes you happy today. I’m out.

• djloo27 said, on November 12, 2016 at 8:47 am

I wish I was there. How could it possibly not be a great time?

• alleykat69 said, on November 12, 2016 at 9:20 am

Hitting up ElDarado with your boys Flav? Peppermill,Atlantis ain’t a bad backup as well, along with Mustang Ranch 😜 hee hee.. to release a load are a big gambling loss..

• gianthead said, on November 12, 2016 at 2:27 pm

Awesome…I have not done a Vegas trip with my college fraternity brothers in a long long time…

13. djloo27 said, on November 12, 2016 at 8:26 am

I wouldn’t worry about vice presidents. They disappear after the election. Once in awhile they get a chance to take over but even when that happens they usually remain invisible…

14. djloo27 said, on November 12, 2016 at 8:34 am

I think I can name every president and every Kentucky Derby winner in order without cheating.
    I don’t think I can name more than a dozen vice presidents…

15. willedav said, on November 12, 2016 at 8:40 am

What Trump proposes/Congress disposes 2 different things. Ryan held his nose, but Trump W and holding both houses of Congress is dream come true. Only ? is if Freedom Caucus nut jobs can be held at bay.

Environmental rules and regs vs. business are hist. New SC appointee allows them to go after Roe vs. Wade and Planned Parenthood. They’d probably like to go after Gideon vs. Wainwright too.
    Gun control ain’t happening.
    The gal in Kentucky who wouldn’t marry gays is going to be a role model for evangelicals.
    Pence as a servant, sure but mostly of big business and Defense Dept., traditional Republican calling cards.

College b-ball started yesterday yaha (sorry Flav Stanford men suck more later). so much sports going on… another day in paradise.

16. djloo27 said, on November 12, 2016 at 8:44 am

With a name like Pence, he can’t be all bad. Maybe him and his wife will start making a whole bunch of silly YouTube videos…

• gianthead said, on November 12, 2016 at 2:16 pm

Zum, sorry but some/many people have religious views that is opposed to gay marriage and abortion. I don’t necessarily hold those views but are you saying someone’s religious convictions are disqualifying from public service? Those same views are not just held by evangelical Christians but by orthodox jews and Muslims of course. I am in the camp that people are allowed to believe in their religion and their doctrines. I would argue that Pence’s views reflects the majority of his state of Indiana and not only was he elected as governor, he would have been re-elected easily with his views well known to his state. The only thing disqualifying is if someone takes their religious views and tries to assert them as the sole religion or ignores existing laws/court rulings based in their religious views. Obama had done much in ignoring existing laws/court decisions through issuing numerous executive orders that some had been challenged and ruled unconstitutional and will likely to be rapidly overturned in the new Congress/admin in what I view as “religion” of liberal populism.

17. willedav said, on November 12, 2016 at 9:29 am

Giants supposedly serious about Melancon. Hope more so than last year.
    If LA re-signs Turner and Jansen that will give them 2 things Giants don’t have— proven power RH bat in middle of LU and proven closer.
    So Evans is on the clock for both and maybe even more pen depth should young guys have arm/shoulder trouble.
    Sure like to see Giants Pence return to form and be solid everyday .800 OPS guy but that might not be realistic. Took him long time to get going last season, and missed big part of it once again. That’s a big “hmmnn”, esp if Giants don’t get much more out of Span than .700 OPS.

• snarkk said, on November 12, 2016 at 11:51 am

Jansen over Melancon, big time. Younger, stronger, more Ks, vs the opposite.
      Chapman, I wouldn’t waste time on. The guy is just visiting with Giants and other teams to leverage up the contract number. I wouldn’t want the guy anyway, he’s going to have arm issues throwing that hard…

18. zumiee said, on November 12, 2016 at 9:44 am

I have no doubt that there are many great things about Mike Pence as a person; I have some Conservative friends and relatives who are great people. But this unrelenting wave of hate that some of them have towards gay people has to stop. It’s unjust, and it’s petty and cruel. And some of their other Conservative ideologies are just as harmful.

19. zumiee said, on November 12, 2016 at 9:46 am

I agree, Loo, that usually VPs are no big deal either way, but this case is different. This is more like Bush, Jr. with Cheney. Clearly Cheney was the puppet-master behind Bush, Jr., and I think the situation with Trump will be similar.

• Flavor said, on November 12, 2016 at 10:05 am

Totally agree. as Bill Marr says, “all trump has to do is stand there and take credit for shit that’s already happening.” And any new shit they implement is gonna come from Pence. Trump doesn’t want to do any work as President. His job is done. He won.

• zumiee said, on November 12, 2016 at 10:22 am

• snarkk said, on November 12, 2016 at 11:43 am

I’ve read several sources that say Trump was essentially shocked he won. He wasn’t counting on being president one bit. Being president means you can’t do everything you want, go anywhere you want, do anything you want. Every move is scrutinized, and your bullshit lies are actually called on. As Trump, he could do all that and get away with it. I’ll bet he won’t spend 1/2 the time in the White House. Trump Tower will be the new Gold House. He’ll be like Reagan — make speeches, and sign papers. The right wing goons under him will meanwhile be busy trying to turn the country into some kind of right wing evangelical nirvana, with tax cuts to the rich and corporations, and free reign to pollute at will, dictate how women handle their own reproduction, and a SCOTUS positioned to find more first amendment rights held by corporations. I’ve been reading interviews with people in the flyover states — a lot based their vote for Trump on basically a “what the hell?” hope that it can’t get worse for them under Trump. Some actually believed he’d come up with the Mexican wall, and that he’ll bring back a strong coal economy in Appalachia. These are people that use Medicare, Medicaid, CHIP for kids health care, and other government programs that Pence and Ryan want to gut. Idiots…

• gianthead said, on November 12, 2016 at 2:40 pm

Zum, you do know that Obama ended up taking far more time off than Bush and the reports were that the only president who played more golf than Obama was Eisenhower…true facts…and I agree. Trump is not going to be doing much heavy lifting. This Bannon nut ball will have him constantly on the hastings preaching to the choir.

• snarkk said, on November 12, 2016 at 12:14 pm

I also think Clinton blew it with picking Tim Kaine as VP. A nice, safe white guy from a purple state, but he didn’t move the needle much for anybody…

• djloo27 said, on November 12, 2016 at 2:16 pm

She probably didn’t think the needle needed to be moved…

• gianthead said, on November 12, 2016 at 2:41 pm

I told my son after the Repub convention she should have picked Kasich….

20. snarkk said, on November 12, 2016 at 11:54 am

Meanwhile, I’d overpay as needed for Cespedes. Giants need a threat hitter. He’s a decent OFer, has a ++ arm. He’s a little bit of a head case, but I haven’t seen anything that says he’s bad in the clubhouse, actually seems pretty good. Maybe Loo has an opinion on that. Anyway, the Giants clubhouse has a tendency to smooth people out. And, he’s RHed which works for power at ATT. I would overpay for him and for a closer. Giants are swimming in cash, so I don’t want to hear the “budget” excuse. If he said ATT is too cold or too far from Florida or something, I’d be down with that, but spare me the dreaded Sabean “budget” problem…

• alleykat69 said, on November 12, 2016 at 12:30 pm

Jansen’s the guy I’m pushing for the most.Just dominant stuff and consistency which is the key to less torture for Flap Nation..
      Hell if the Giants really want to go “Balls Out” they go after Melancon as well and make him the 8th inning stopper..
      Yeah I’m with Snarkk as well,get in the bidding for Cespedes!! Need that power hitting productive hitter in the middle of the LU! Just admit it Giants you can’t ever develop an Outfielder so just go back to buying one..

• snarkk said, on November 12, 2016 at 12:50 pm

Yeah, Kat. Two decades of developing not ONE good major league quality outfielder from its own organization means the Giants are into buying them. So, go out and buy a really good one that’s got some pop. The team needs it to stiffen the lineup. I need it; hell, I want to see some home runs again, bases clearing doubles, etc…

• djloo27 said, on November 12, 2016 at 3:22 pm

I think he’s popular in the Met clubhouse, Snarkk, and even though there are things that bother me about him (loafing is #1), I’d love to have him…

• snarkk said, on November 12, 2016 at 4:29 pm

Cool, I don’t care if he sits in the corner by himself in the clubhouse if he cranks 35 dingers…

21. zumiee said, on November 12, 2016 at 3:13 pm

GH, I checked several websites, I couldn’t find a single website that had Obama at more vacation days than Bush. Do you have a link? It’s not a big deal to me; I was just curious.

• snarkk said, on November 12, 2016 at 4:28 pm

Dubya spent more time away from the WHouse over 8 years than any other president in history. I’ve looked it up. It’s out there, it’s been documented. Trump may challenge that in his first term, barring early impeachment and removal…

22. djloo27 said, on November 12, 2016 at 3:20 pm

Clemson and Pitt are slugging it out if you’re into that…

23. zumiee said, on November 12, 2016 at 3:22 pm

The Supreme Court ruled, brilliantly in my opinion, that opposition to gay marriage is a particular religious belief, and therefore unconstitutional. The first amendment says the government can’t show preference to any particular religion.
    Ginsberg led the way. Man, she needs to stay healthy for four more years for a lot of reasons.
    I’m not gay, but I have several gay friends, and I’m very concerned for their civil rights and physical safety right now.
    I promise I’ll get back to talking baseball soon. 🙂

• djloo27 said, on November 12, 2016 at 3:25 pm

Ruth Ginsberg and I went to the same high school.
      I wonder who they’re more proud of…

• zumiee said, on November 12, 2016 at 3:49 pm

Well…… 🙂

• snarkk said, on November 12, 2016 at 4:34 pm

What baseball team does Ginsburg root for?
        Little known fact — her late husband Martin wrote and maintained the key corporate tax text used by law schools and practicing tax lawyers — he was a longtime taxation law prof at Georgetown…

• willedav said, on November 12, 2016 at 6:33 pm

Yes exactly. One religion does not overrule someone else’ rights. The nutjob in Kentucky had no right to deny gay marriage licenses. She was a state govt. employee and refused to uphold the rule of law in her state.

The argument that Pence reflects the views of the populace of his state is absolutely irrelevant.
      George Wallace I’m sure along with every other Southern governor reflected the majority views of the states they governed–that blacks did not deserve due process of law, or an equal education etc. etc. which the SC determined was wrong. Their rights are guaranteed by 14th Amendment, which takes precedence over popular opinion.

24. djloo27 said, on November 12, 2016 at 4:27 pm

Plenty of great trivia here:

25. djloo27 said, on November 12, 2016 at 4:29 pm

#2 Clemson upset 43-42 by Pitt…

• willedav said, on November 12, 2016 at 6:37 pm

USC leading #4 UW 17-6 at the half in Seattle. This will shakeup the power rankings.

And in news of importance to SanDawg, previously unbeaten in conference Wyoming Cowboys lost in 3 OTs to Vegas. So his SD St. Aztecs remain sole undefeated team in Mtn. West.

26. snarkk said, on November 12, 2016 at 4:57 pm

Darren Baker signs to go to college and play ball for Cal. Go Bears!…

27. blade3colorado said, on November 12, 2016 at 6:57 pm

“Yeah, I don’t think Trump was ever into the idea of the presidency as an actual job. He had a blast running for president, but the actual daily aspects of being president? He’s going to tire of that pretty quickly. He’s going to take so much vacation time, he’ll break Bush, Jr.’s record on that.”

Hide the interns!!!!!!!!!

28. Macdog said, on November 12, 2016 at 7:03 pm

Iowa hanging tough with Michigan for the first half so far.

29. pawliekokonuts said, on November 12, 2016 at 7:25 pm

I’ve been reading Vladimir Nabokov. But maybe I need to switch to Milan Kundera, Franz Kafka, or Ambrose Bierce.

• zumiee said, on November 12, 2016 at 7:40 pm

Bierce’s “Occurrence at Owl Creek”….an example of a perfect short story.

• zumiee said, on November 12, 2016 at 7:48 pm

I’ve been reading some Mark Twain on my Kindle. Trump would have been a ripe target for Twain.

• xoot said, on November 12, 2016 at 7:49 pm

I spent some time browsing in Moe’s today (famous Berkeley bookstore). Happened to look at a critic’s book on Nabokov. Nabokov said repeatedly that he thought in images and then wrote to capture those images, so it really didn’t matter what language he used–Russian, English, whatever–the challenge, difficulty was always equal. The opening paragraph of Lolita sort of calls that claim into question, I’d say.

USC’s kicking Washington’s butt.

• snarkk said, on November 12, 2016 at 8:00 pm

The loss of Cody’s was a gut punch IMO, to Berkeley…

• xoot said, on November 12, 2016 at 8:09 pm

When Cody’s abandoned Telegraph everything changed. Shakespeare & Co. closed recently. I was stunned to see today that The Reprint Mint is gone. And I’m amazed Moe’s hangs on. I guess they own their building. Jonathan Lethem worked at Moe’s for quite a while in the 90s, while he was writing his early novels. His new novel, A Gambler’s Anatomy, comes back to Telegraph Ave. The New Yorker recently published one chapter as a short story. I liked it. Motherless Brooklyn was great.

• snarkk said, on November 12, 2016 at 8:53 pm

It’s cool that Moe’s is still there. In the movie The Graduate, you can see Moe’s store sign out the window in the background of a scene with Dustin Hoffman…

• xoot said, on November 12, 2016 at 9:22 pm

That’s back in the Print Mint days. New owners renamed it the Reprint Mint. The only bookstore I enjoy as much as Moe’s is City Lights in SF.

In the movie Who’ll Stop the Rain (hollywood version of Robert Stone’s great novel Dog Soldiers) one of the characters works at Cody’s. There’s a brief shot of hippies dancing outside, as I recall.

30. snarkk said, on November 12, 2016 at 8:02 pm

Dubya spent far, far more days away vacationing and jacking around from the White House than Obama. It has been documented by a reporter who has been on the WHouse beat for both. http://www.factcheck.org/2014/08/presidential-vacations/ So, it is a myth, like the despicable Birther lie that Trump championed for half a decade (then dropped it in one day based on no new facts). I never heard the nice guy Pence disagree with the Birther lie, in fact he supported it, and lied to cover Trump’s role in it. http://www.politicususa.com/2016/09/18/mike-pence-fell-flat-face-trumps-birther-problem-worse.html

31. PaulinAsia Banh Bao said, on November 12, 2016 at 8:12 pm

Interesting discourse here on Pence as VP. Completely agree that Trump won’t want to do much of the heavy lifting the next 4 years, but there’s one big difference between Trump/Pence and Reagan/Bush Sr., and Shrub/Cheney: Reagan was already senile so of course he wasn’t really ever *running the country*, and W was just too stupid, so neither was he. With Trump, the only thing that matters is ego gratification, the ONLY thing, so I don’t think he’s just going to let a bunch of alt-right-nuts call all the shots. He’s reached the pinnacle, he now has a king-sized legacy to nurture and protect, so failing at this job is not an option for him. Unfortunately, I expect some policy changes that will horribly throw back progress by decades, but his ego won’t allow for him to do anything too stupid that results in failure. That’s about as positive as I can get about it all. I’m more worried about how divided the masses are re: tolerance and bigotry. “There will be blood” before there will be reconciliation, I’m afraid.

32. PaulinAsia Banh Bao said, on November 12, 2016 at 9:34 pm

And, enough politics. Wonder if the Giants will wait on nabbing Melancon or Jansen until after “the big one” (Chapman) signs somewhere and “sets the market”. Interesting that closers might be the ones to initially fire up the hot stove.

33. djloo27 said, on November 12, 2016 at 9:58 pm

Really, man. Why don’t big intellectuals quit showing off?
    Oh, look at me, I read books!
    Fuck you…I’m DRACULOO!!!!!!!

• xoot said, on November 12, 2016 at 10:09 pm

Check out The Sport of Kings, drac

• djloo27 said, on November 12, 2016 at 10:19 pm

Love ya, Xootie!

34. zumiee said, on November 12, 2016 at 11:29 pm

The opening of Saturday Night Live tonight is so emotionally moving, it’s almost unbelievable. It’s like after 9/11.

• wilcojoe said, on November 13, 2016 at 9:31 am

Yeah, everything about it was just perfect. Satirical yet poignant and moving at the same time. Tip of the cap to whoever came up with that idea. Just brilliant. Kate McKinnon is a true talent, BTW.

• zumiee said, on November 13, 2016 at 1:53 pm

And Chappelle ended up being the perfect guest host for the show.
        I admire SNL’s (Lorne Michael’s) willingness to not shy away from the election results, but to look it straight in the eye. It made the show last night powerful. Sad, but also inspiring and, yes, funny. I was wondering how they would approach things last night, being a late night comedy show, with few of the show’s fans in a particularly happy mood; but, as you say, they made perfect choices. The show has made itself relevant again in the last few months. I never thought I’d say that again, but they did.

35. djloo27 said, on November 13, 2016 at 10:24 am

Sorry for my moronic earlier comment.
    I have great respect for the intelligence of the people who post here.

• zumiee said, on November 13, 2016 at 1:58 pm

You are forgiven. And for penance you have to read a book and give us a book report. You’ve got homework! 🙂

• djloo27 said, on November 13, 2016 at 3:28 pm

Thanks, Zum.

36. zumiee said, on November 13, 2016 at 2:00 pm

Here’s how Saturday Night Live opened their show last night, for any that missed it. Kate McKinnon as Hillary Clinton.

37. zumiee said, on November 13, 2016 at 2:10 pm

Here’s Dave Chappelle’s opening monologue, for any that missed it.

38. willedav said, on November 13, 2016 at 4:25 pm

Unc boy’s giving Cardinals all they can handle, shutting them out second half so far.