Sunday!

Posted in Uncategorized by Flavor on November 13, 2016

Connected with Dirt in Reno yesterday. Got to catch up for about an hour. Very cool dude.

Thought is was time for a new thread and this Stix RPOTD is solid gold from start to finish. Enjoy:

stixwiz said, on December 27, 2013 at 9:49 am (Edit)

Damn! Whacked out weather most everywhere this season. Here in the wild, frozen Northwoods of Manysnowta i’m currently looking out at clear skies and the landscape is basking in +35 degrees of ABOVE zero temps. My head even started working a bit again. But hold your hats gang…

Low tomorrow night is projected for 29 degrees BELOW zero. That 36-40 hour switcheroo is more bipolar than a room full of yo-yos. Even in nice winters we almost never get thawing days between Christmas and New Years. 64 degree temperature variations in that short a time span. Think about it. Oh, we get steady-state stuff for a few days at the turn of the year. High Sunday will be around 9 below and all nights through New Year’s Eve will go past twenty below. Eases up some with the New Year for a few days with mostly above zero days and nights at low double-digits minus.

Is this all from geo-engineering (HAARP/chemtrails et al) working overtime, or is Mama Nature herself getting peeved and petulant? Only your hairdresser knows for sure and he/she ain’t tellin. My woodpiles suffer and so do the outdoor cats. Macouzho loves it, though. His fur thickened out this Fall into a magnificent pile and he’s always right there when i venture outdoors. Good day for that today. Maybe get back on board here this evening. Meanwhile there are shrubs to prune and more snow to heap against the walls of the old shack. Free insulation, dontcha know.

1. zumiee said, on November 13, 2016 at 6:04 pm

I couldn’t function in that kind of climate. I’m not a big fan of really cold weather, and to have to battle that kind of cold weather all winter is mindboggling to me.
    The weather in the Central Valley has changed over the years, due to a combination of global warming and land development. We rarely get the kind of thick fog we used to get, and the temperature doesn’t get below freezing as often as it used to. Of course, on the downside, there’s drought, and record-breaking heat in the summer.
    Also less fog is bad for the wine-grape crops for some reason.

• snarkk said, on November 13, 2016 at 6:32 pm

Yep, the great tule fog in the Valley doesn’t happen much anymore. When I was a kid, the fog layer was around for weeks on end in the winter. You’d see sun, maybe, in late afternoon as it finally showed through the fog, looking like a very shiny, shimmering moon. Then, quickly it would disappear as the day moved towards dusk, and the fog layer would lower itself right back down to the ground like the big curtain across a stage…

• unca_chuck said, on November 13, 2016 at 9:32 pm

Shit, I used to hit that all the time driving to tahoe, Like driving into a brick wall of pillows.

2. Bozo said, on November 13, 2016 at 6:31 pm

Free Stix…In the spring!

The CBA negotiations will probably delay the big money FA signings this winter. The WBC will again screw up some ST for some of the players. I think it is going to be a weird off season for the GMs trying to make deals.

3. snarkk said, on November 13, 2016 at 6:37 pm

Looks like Niners must have done well.
    Managed to play a decent game on the road against a not very good opponent, and still thankfully lose in a close one to keep that high draft pick momentum. How Baalke can keep his job having produced such a crap roster is a testament to Prince Jed wanting no conflict in the FO. He’d rather have a crap GM with whom he’s simpatico, than get a guy who might be a strong personality, with a great eye for judging talent…

4. Flavor said, on November 13, 2016 at 6:49 pm

• snarkk said, on November 13, 2016 at 9:06 pm

Curry, from what, about 34 feet? Sheezus, that guy can shoot…

5. pawliekokonuts said, on November 13, 2016 at 7:39 pm

“Only your hairdresser knows for sure. Does she or doesn’t she?” Color her hair, that is. Famous Miss Clairol ad. My mom worked for Clairol. It’s likely the chronic coughing she experiences, though she’s 100, came from the ingredients in the air at the plant.

• Flavor said, on November 13, 2016 at 8:09 pm

i have a vague recollection of this commercial. I’ll tell ya, Stix buried some gold in dem posts, didn’t he?

• djloo27 said, on November 13, 2016 at 8:28 pm

He’s right about using shoveled snow as insulation. My bathroom is virtually outdoors and when I shovel snow I always try to pack it against the outside wall…

• snarkk said, on November 13, 2016 at 9:05 pm

I remember that Clairol commercial, yep…

6. zumiee said, on November 13, 2016 at 8:38 pm

Carroll’s decision to go for 2 seemed wrong to me at the time.

• zumiee said, on November 13, 2016 at 8:44 pm

It ends up not mattering; the Seahawks defense made a great goal line stand. New England losing is always cool.

• Macdog said, on November 13, 2016 at 9:23 pm

Tomlin’s misuse of the 2 today was way worse.

7. unca_chuck said, on November 13, 2016 at 9:25 pm

GH, Pence may be a ‘decent guy’ but he’s voted to make gay marriage a crime. He defunded planned parenthood in Indiana, and funny enough, without HIV testing and counseling, there was an HIV outbreak in Indiana. He wants to use that money for gay conversion therapy. He wants to defund AIDS research. He’s voted against equal pay for women and minorities. He’s for discriminating against gays and lesbians. Roe v Wade? Bye bye. He says condoms are no good for protecting against pregnancies and stopping the spread of STDs. With logic like that we all need divine intervention.

He may have a calming effect on Trumpfuck, but he’s firmly rooted in the 1300s.

8. unca_chuck said, on November 13, 2016 at 9:31 pm

Oh, Jeeezuz. Stix was going on about chemtrails??? Hey, I was gone all weekend. Just catching up on shit.

Spent the weekend up in Ft Bragg/Mendocino. Most awesome. North Coast Brewery is the bomb. Glass Beach is out of glass, sadly.

• PaulinAsia Banh Bao said, on November 13, 2016 at 9:38 pm

Out of glass? Wow. I think the last time I was there was maybe 14 years ago, plenty of glass still there then. People take it all? … Love that northern coast. Lost Coast was my favorite. You could backpack or walk on the beach for miles and not see another person. Shelter Cove maybe one of the coolest, quietest little towns at that time.

• snarkk said, on November 13, 2016 at 9:40 pm

Wow, have been to Glass Beach on several occasions, not lately. Sorry to hear the glass is gone. What happened — people stole all the glass? I used to go up to Mendo and Fort Bragg before and after Mrs. snarkk on the scene. Used to go to the Caspar hot tubs just north of Mendo, and go to the Caspar Inn, a pretty cool pub/bar with music on weekends. Best show I remember seeing was Zulu Spear there, in the 80s, great show in a little venue. Soaking in a redwood tub outdoors at night with the fog blowing over you — ah, good times…

• unca_chuck said, on November 13, 2016 at 9:53 pm

Saw that place, Snarkk. we definitely want to go back. We did a quick one-nighter getaway. The drive up was fun as shit. Windy roads, no traffic. Stayed T a bnb in Mendocino. Did the botanical gardens. Very cool. Watched the sunset somewhere between Ft Bragg and Mendo. Awesome. The tide was just pounding the rocks and the sunset was killer. Went to the Little River Inn for lunch before we drove home today and they had the best clam chowder I’ve ever had. Eevn better than Boston’s. The sauce was light and not thick, and the clams were still in their shells. Opened of course. Kathy had that and I had a burger with a couple Blue Star North Coasts. And the view behind the bartender is the ocean. Pretty fricking cool.

• snarkk said, on November 13, 2016 at 10:02 pm

Sounds good, Chuck. That area is hard to beat for good times R&R, plus scenery. When it’s clear, it’s beautiful. When foggy, cool and ethereal. Great memory of Mendo was in the 80s went to the original Cafe Beaujolais when it was run by the lady founder (can’t remember her name). Super delicious meal, it was cold ass foggy outside, the windows were fogged up, and warm as toast inside. Mendo then was like being in Maine, without the long drive up from DC. Always tried to get a massage up there somewhere — at a hot tub place or one of those nondescript massage places in F. Bragg or near Mendo, with some earth mother type ready to give me some Shiatsu workover until it hurt, while some New Age music wafted through the incense. Dang, I need to get up there again…

• snarkk said, on November 13, 2016 at 10:41 pm

Hey, WTF? You weren’t watching the Niner game? Mendo and clam chowdah over the Niners? Wow, they have really fallen…

• unca_chuck said, on November 13, 2016 at 9:55 pm

We found a black sand beach this morning I had no idea of. We found it on the way to the lighthouse. the beach was really cool. The lighthouse was a let-down. It was high tide, so maybe some of the glass was covered by the water. But it was the luck of the draw.

So the shit we tried to do was lousy, but the stuff we found by accident was excellent. Lots of stuff to do around there tho. Yeah, we’ll go back.

9. PaulinAsia Banh Bao said, on November 13, 2016 at 9:41 pm

I posted here a couple of days ago that Trump needed to tell his supporters to knock it off with the racist threats and intimidation. Funny to see him say just that (“Stop it”) today. He’s the one who let the genie out of the bottle; not sure his supporters are “good little followers” and will “stop it” just because he tells them to now…

10. blade3colorado said, on November 13, 2016 at 10:12 pm

I see where the Giants have signed righty reliever Jose Dominguez to a minor league deal. Dude has a lot of potential, but you wouldn’t know it from his record, with stints with the Rays, Dodgers and last season, the Padres. Dominguez split his time between the Padres’ bullpen and that of Triple-A El Paso in 2016, posting a 5.05 ERA, 5.0 K/9 and 4.3 BB/9 in 35 2/3 innings in the big leagues. He also struggled with his control at El Paso, with 25 walks in 35 2/3 innings there.

He throws extremely hard (reaching into the upper 90s with his fastball) and has a 90-MPH slider. Much upside if the Giants can correct his wildness.

Things are moving full steam ahead in the marriage department. I changed my Avatar and for those of you who do not have FB, this is a photo we took before the wedding.

• blade3colorado said, on November 13, 2016 at 10:13 pm

Also, just got back from the hospital and a sonogram confirmed Linh’s pregnancy. So happy!!!

• snarkk said, on November 13, 2016 at 10:26 pm

Dude, I must have missed it. You’ve had the wedding already? Congrats!…

• blade3colorado said, on November 13, 2016 at 10:31 pm

No Tom, just the photos. We are getting married on the 19th.

• snarkk said, on November 13, 2016 at 10:35 pm

Well, congrats in advance.
        Where, in Saigon? How do you do a wedding and celebrations over there?

11. blade3colorado said, on November 13, 2016 at 10:54 pm

Well, most of the VN are Buddhists, but also a large contingent of Christian (Catholic mostly). Although Linh and I will be married in the “eyes” of the Vietnamese, her family, etc., officially – we still need to obtain paperwork showing I’m single/divorced. I can’t do that until I return to Colorado. In short, the government requires this document, along with health documents (easy to obtain in Vietnam) before we are “officially” married as a couple. It also presents a problem with obtaining a Green Card for Linh via our USA Embassy, as they require official documents showing she is married. Similarly, I want to adopt her 2 year old son – again, the marriage certificate will be a prerequisite before the VN government considers that matter.

Think party snarrk and you pretty much have it down insofar as what our marriage will be like, sans me drinking. LOL. By the by, their “cheers” is “Yo” (I think that is the spelling, maybe “yeu” . . . ask Paul). Anywho, they do a lot of YOing at weddings, and just for the hell of it.

• blade3colorado said, on November 13, 2016 at 11:06 pm

No, getting married in Nha Trang, which is a sea coast resort city. Wedding is setting me back $5k . . . Umm, I may be getting off dirt cheap, as Linh’s 1st marriage had 800 folks in attendance. This one will only have 40-50 guests.

12. PaulinAsia Banh Bao said, on November 13, 2016 at 11:04 pm

VN weddings are indeed festive and fun, but after going to many, they can be a bit boring, actually, although I’m sure Steve’s won’t be (I’m going, afterall… ) 🙂 There’s a joke about that: “How do you know when a VNmese wedding is over?” “When the food’s gone.” Literally true. It’s a good eating fest (and drinking obviously, mostly chugging beers) (“yo” is actually spelled “do”, with that being the ‘y’ sound of the soft d here), but unlike most weddings in western nations, where drinking and dancing, etc. ensue long after the food is gone, here the food being gone is sign it’s time to go home. 🙂 And yes, the cheers will ring out table by table, “1-2-3, yo!” to see which table can do it the loudest. Etc. Tom, Steve’s wedding is up in Nha Trang, which is one of the more popular seaside destinations, near Linh’s family home. I’ll fly up on Friday, wedding is Saturday. Should be fun. Flap photos, for sure.

• blade3colorado said, on November 13, 2016 at 11:08 pm

Great summary! Yeah, now that you have a new Apple Iphone, we should have some good shots of me nervously saying “I do.” 😦

• snarkk said, on November 13, 2016 at 11:13 pm

Looking forward to the pics !…