Stacking the Bullpen

Posted in Uncategorized by Flavor on November 14, 2016

Nothing much to report except we are favored to get Melancon which is about the least surprising development of the post season so far. If it were my money, I say fuck the left fielder and just start stacking the bullpen. Melancon AND Jansen. Why not?

Stix really had it rolling in December 2013….

#freestix! RPOTD

stixwiz said, on December 23, 2013 at 5:32 pm (Edit)

Greetings from the frozen North where the current temp is twenty-six degrees BELOW zero ~ almost professional level cold with only four more to drop. Both stoves going here so my league is one of the hottest around. Wood cookstove sporting a stovetop ‘bread’ or loaf containing several types of grain flours and grinds as well as onion, apple, peppers, spinach and one can from my slowly dwindling stash of pre Fuck You Shima (3-11-11) canned Alaskan pink salmon. Also a decent glop of minced garlic, salt and a dash of balsamico. Base is a blend of butter and olive oil. Cooking it slowly. Needing to flip it every now and then cus the mass is over 3″ deep. Will eat it with a raunch dressing dip.

Earlier today necessitated the rescue of a 6 month old outdoor kitten who had evidently thought a pan of warm water i’d set out for them last night was the place to warm up a bit. Her tail-section and back legs were frozen in when i wondered out there. Thawing-out process was gradual, with judicious use of stove-top and hot water. After the release i left her in a shallow pan of warm water. Not too afraid of that cause she was holding her head up strongly. After about half an hour i took her outta the now cooled water and wrapped her in a thermal longjohn bottom. She passed out for a couple hours. Incredibly, she is walking around just fine and is both eating and drinking. Curiously she tends to wanna sit right by the stove.

Life in a Cathouse is adventure enough. The outside pussy can sometimes throw you a lefthanded scewball. Amazing creatures, wot?

1. willedav said, on November 14, 2016 at 8:22 am

I do think Giants offense or lack of same has to be a concern; finishing as low as they did in runs scored in the NL isn’t acceptable. How much more are you going to get out of Crawford and Belt than what they did? I don’t think a full year of Nunez is going to make that much difference. Pagan actually had a nice season last year; I doubt he comes back but where do you find a jump in production?
    Biggest ? for me has to be Pence—how much more can he contribute. Last 2 years his health has been a disappointment and I think his contract is up soon.

As Snarkk said couple threads ago since cupboard has been pretty bare inside system for so long Giants have to look elsewhere for OF help. Where is next Reggie Sanders or Kenny Lofton?

2. willedav said, on November 14, 2016 at 8:29 am

Looked things up on B/R—Pence is in last 2 yrs of deal. He’ll be 34 as season is just getting underway next April. 2 straight years of .800 OPS with .450+ slugging, but only 158 games played total over that time frame. Hmmnn. Where does he go from here?

3. unca_chuck said, on November 14, 2016 at 8:30 am

That’s one of the best Stix posts out there . . . I think Panik will have a bounce-back year, but yeah, another OFer with a LITTLE power would be idea.

4. sandog said, on November 14, 2016 at 9:08 am

Flav–I’m a little baffled by your fixation on the bullpen. You’ve been the loudest complainer about the offense for years and now you want all resources to go to the ‘pen? I don’t get that. Yes, Melancon fits like a glove and I hope to hell they make it happen. But then please add a right handed power bat to the outfield.

…and here’s my latest idea for fixing the laughable dimensions at ATT. Find some swinging dick architect in SF who can design a cool looking enclosed bullpen that gets installed in front of our ridiculous right/centerfield wall. This one move addresses my 2 biggest complaints with ATT—brings the fences in and gets rid of our joke bullpens that straddle the outfield foul lines.

• sandog said, on November 14, 2016 at 9:11 am

….and I agree, that was an epic Stix post. Has anyone stumbled upon his mashed potatoes recipe while combing the archives? I actually have it printed out somewhere.

• Flavor said, on November 14, 2016 at 9:38 am

not yet but if I see it I will post it. I am narrowing my searches to winter months, morning posts. that seems to be where all his gold is.

• unca_chuck said, on November 14, 2016 at 9:29 am

If it’s good enough for Wrigley, It’s good enough for Pac Bell.

But really, It would take me 5 minutes with a protractor, a ruler, and a drafting table. You start it at the deepest point in CF, and go to the right. You have enough room to stack them on top of each other.

Then you put in a fireman’s pole (reliever = fireman, get it?) and they slide down from the 2nd level to the field.

Not really, but if you put them in the OF, the RF line would go from 307 to like 280. No go . . .

5. Flavor said, on November 14, 2016 at 9:37 am

I don’t see adding a single 200 million dollar bat as a way to “fix the offense.” That guy will just get walked more often. Even if he’s blasting home runs, he’d have to probably hit 2 a game to fix the gas can 8th or 9th you know is coming if we don’t fix the bullpen first. This World Series highlighted the importance of lockdown guys in the 6th+ inning. I want to load up on those BP pitchers. With our stud SP it would be open and shut before the team we’re playing knows what hit ’em

6. unca_chuck said, on November 14, 2016 at 9:57 am

I’m with you on that, Craig. We had 2nd string/3rd string guys carrying the team to new heights in the middle of the season. The relief pitching however was a constant battle all year and in the playoffs.

We need a closer and 2 proven guys before I’ll feel comfortable. Blanton wouldn’t be a bad dude to throw in there as well as Melancon.

• alleykat69 said, on November 14, 2016 at 10:31 am

Can’t be serious about Blanton Chuck are you? He proved how unreliable he was in the playoffs against the Cubs and the dudes older then dirt as well..
      I’m on record about getting both Jansen( top priority) & Melancon for the setup role/ slash Closer if Jansen needs a blow,it would be the ultimate to have 2 STUD closers for the 8th& 9th…

7. Bozo said, on November 14, 2016 at 10:41 am

Another beauty from Catman Stix.

I think if they pick up Melancon, the rest of the pen will fall into place. I wouldn’t mind seeing them resign Nathan and see if we could get more from him in 17.

After they get a Closer, what I’d really like to see Santa Evans do, is trade for Longoria.
    Make Nunez the super utility guy (INF and OF), let the three headed GorkyJarrettMac crew fill in the OF slots.
    Cain did OK at the end of the year when he only had to pitch a few innings, make him your long guy and fill in the 5th slot with either Blach, Heston, Stratton or Suarez (whoever doesn’t get traded as part of the package for Longoria).
    So, Santa Evans, forget the CBA negotiations and pull the trigger on this, oh and add a larger trophy case to the list as well.

8. chipower9 said, on November 14, 2016 at 11:31 am

Another Stix Gem…keep ’em coming. Speaking of…I finally got a response from Stix’s public defender with and address to which we can write him. I will try to get into my personal email later, and if successful, will shre (the firewall here can be challenging). If not…I will share when I get home later.

Disagree on stacking the bullpen. Agree with the Clown…you land Melancon, I think they can round-out a good bullpen rest of the way internally.

I think we need an OFer who can hit. And I am not locked-in on a big bopper type that is going to rake 25 or more HRs a year. If the guy hits for average and is a gap hitter with occasional power, that will work too. It is more important to keep the conga-line moving, IMO. But damn…a power-hitting OFer would be SWEET.

9. chipower9 said, on November 14, 2016 at 11:35 am

To San-Diggity’s comments on the OF and moving in the fences. I am not a fan. I say keep her the way she is…it is one of the things that makes our ballpark unique, and put a premium on good pitching. Just my opinion…

10. djloo27 said, on November 14, 2016 at 12:03 pm

I was all for changing the dimensions and manager till we won 3 titles. They shut me up on both.
    No way we are getting more than one stud reliever.
    Whenever Snarkk or someone says the Giants are swimming in cash, my thoughts go to Cespedes (and of course, Bumgarner).

11. djloo27 said, on November 14, 2016 at 12:03 pm

I’d love to rob Jansen and Turner from LA…

• chipower9 said, on November 14, 2016 at 12:12 pm

Me too! Not only does it strengthen our team, but would be a big hit for our nemesis. All of the estimates I have seen on “who is going where” (free agents) have both staying put in la la land. But, that doesn’t mean we cannot drive up the price and make them overpay! 😉

• alleykat69 said, on November 14, 2016 at 1:51 pm

If Turner wasn’t so butt ugly I could root for him but then again we have Pence so theirs not much difference…
      Bring him board..

12. chipower9 said, on November 14, 2016 at 12:05 pm

Swimming in Cash – and Charles Johnson did not become the richest man in baseball by throwing his money around light-heartedly. Ask Bill Neukom about that one…

And WTF, given the hot stove chatter is slow, here is a piece from The Chronicle from a few years ago on the man who controls the Giant purse strings…

• snarkk said, on November 14, 2016 at 1:34 pm

Billionaires owning teams need to be involved to win, not to make money. It’s a play toy. They should manage to win and to break even, nothing more, IMO. The asset itself will not reduce in value…

• unca_chuck said, on November 14, 2016 at 1:53 pm

Tell that to Jed York. PLEASE!!!

• chipower9 said, on November 14, 2016 at 2:07 pm

Yep…tell that to Jed York (he could take a hint or two from his Uncle Eddie D and Charles Johnson).

And if I’m a billionaire and own a team, I will run it any fucking way I like…thank you very much. I do not have a problem with Charles Johnson being totally hands-off, and letting Baer and crew do the heavy lifting.

Johnson does NOT need the team to make him money…Franklin Investments has done a pretty damned good job of contributing to his bottom line.

13. alleykat69 said, on November 14, 2016 at 2:09 pm

49ers will always be bottomfeeders as long as the Dorks are in charge.
    Winning organization like the Patriots with their owner Robert Kraft who gets it and just let Bill& Tom do their brilliance every year while he kicks back writing the checks and selling his Gillette Razors which his multi Billionaire operation.
    Any owner who wants to be “Hands On “involvement with their teams usually fail..

14. djloo27 said, on November 14, 2016 at 2:51 pm

I wonder how much of a psychological profile a real doctor could put together on Stix (or anybody else here) based solely on what they’ve written on this blog…

15. zumiee said, on November 14, 2016 at 4:56 pm

The Dodgers at the moment are a team with some missing parts. No secondbaseman, no thirdbaseman, no closer, a little creaky in the starting rotation, and a little questionable regarding 8th inning set-up type relievers. They’ll no doubt make some signings or do some trades, but they have their share of question marks at the moment.

16. zumiee said, on November 14, 2016 at 4:58 pm

Seager, to no one’s surprise, won NL Rookie of the Year. Maybe he becomes their 3B, and they sign or trade for a shortstop.

17. unca_chuck said, on November 14, 2016 at 6:42 pm

They’ll prolly try to get Dee Gordon back.

18. Flavor said, on November 14, 2016 at 8:12 pm

19. blade3colorado said, on November 15, 2016 at 2:16 am

Peter (GH) and Tom Coughlin embracing like old buddies on FB. Nice!