When Arbitration Would Ruin You

Posted in Uncategorized by Flavor on November 15, 2016

Yasiel Puke elected to keep his guarantee over the next two seasons rather than opt into arbitration—confirmation from him that he agrees with me: he sucks.

Does this do anything for ya?

Sources: , have had recent discussions about a J.D. Martinez trade.

__________________________

2 topics that will rocket a Stix post to the RPOTD: 1) any reference to his backyard and 2) any work he did back in the 60’s…..

stixwiz said, on December 18, 2013 at 5:36 pm (Edit)

If Chin Music is a go, will Acorn Ale be next? Jeeze how times change. When i was a tyro ad-writer in downtown Minneapolis in the Spring and Summer of ’68 I tried to talk my agency into doing the leg-work to create an entire merchandising system for a domestically-produced DARK beer. Yes, Maxine, such suds did not exist in the U.$. brewski scene at that time. Creative director was somewhat ok with the idea, but the sales side considered it a no-go. So i ended up as an ink-slinger editing a suburban newspaper a couple months later.

1. blade3colorado said, on November 15, 2016 at 6:40 am

“Creative ideas are rarely if ever appreciated by conventional minds. Thinking outta the box tends to get one boxed in.”

Prophetic? His mundane idea of waving a hoe would have guaranteed another year of shoveling snow and working the north forty . . . Instead, Stix got creative and grabbed his rifle. lulz

2. Bozo said, on November 15, 2016 at 7:10 am

Yeah, after shooting at the Feds you usually have one of two ways of getting boxed in. I think Stix got the better box.

3. gianthead said, on November 15, 2016 at 7:27 am

JD Martinez makes so much sense since the free agent market is so thin and those big Blue Jay bats are staying in the AL. AND I want no part of Cespedes. Big plus is Martinez is on his last year of his contract and does not turn 30 until late in the season. And we know howbguys playbin theor last year of deal years. I think it is a nice low risk deal and looks like just under $12 mill contract for next year. I am sure Tigers will take two young arms and as long as one is not Blach and the second is mid-term, I would be very happy…Martinez looks like hit over 30 homers two seasons ago and batted over. 300 in 120 some odd games this year.

That gives them the room for Melancon at $15 mill and as Flav has suggested they then have room for another $10- $12 mill a year for probably two mid-term relievers not named Casilla, Lopez or Romo…we add Martinez and 3 relievers, I think we are contenders for a pennant….

• gianthead said, on November 15, 2016 at 7:37 am

And the proverbial potential lineup:

1) Nunez – 3b – right
      2) Panik – 2b – left (Tomlinson against lefties)
      3) JD Martinez – LF- right
      4) Posey – C – right
      5) Crawford – SS- left
      6) Pence – RF – right
      7) Belt – 1b – left
      8) Spam (no typo) – CF – left

The potential payroll also probably leaves $5- $7 mill to bring Pagan back as 4th OF. He has more bat than other options and can play some decent left field. Gorkys backup CF…I could see Williamson in a deal for Martinez as well as a upper tier pitching prospect.

• chipower9 said, on November 16, 2016 at 7:42 am

I disagree with the Tomlinson against lefties. Panik had an off year last year, but the year before he really was solid. If he looks good out of ST, I say give him the everyday job until he proves they need to make a change.

4. Bozo said, on November 15, 2016 at 7:33 am

The thing about Puig that worries me the most is his trade value in a package deal. The Dodgers could go after another top starter like Sales or if Detroit trades Martinez to us, Verlander (how fucked up would that be?). Having the highest salary in baseball doesn’t seem to faze LA, owing $100+ mil for players not on the 40 man doesn’t seem to faze them either, but not getting the trophy, does.
    I look for them to use Puig in a trade for another starter, for them to sign Chapman and to overpay on Turner (rumored to go at 5 yrs $85 mil).
    We have a solid core group, but I don’t know if adding Martinez would be the clincher for us…

5. willedav said, on November 15, 2016 at 7:38 am

I’d be surprised Evans does more than 1 bat/1 pen guy. Giants already have at least the FLR, Strick Law Osich Okert Kontos plus Suarez/Cain as back up SP/long guy and a role somewhere for Blach. Even Bochy can’t go forward with a 14 man staff.

. Martinez might be a good fit. I just think SF has to have more going for them than GorkysMacParker in the OF alongside of Span and Pence.
    And if they aren’t going to really play the 2 young guys, then dump one off in a trade.

?: IF (and apparently this is the plan) Nunez is everyday 3b, then what happens to Gameface Gillaspie?
    He’s not spectacular in the field but decent, with a line drive bat and some occasional and very timely pop.

Watched some of Gonzaga last night blow out pretty good SD St. team. Boy, St. Mary’s, a really fun team to watch that gets everyone back, will have their hands full. Saw Monmouth got season off on good foot too.

6. willedav said, on November 15, 2016 at 7:44 am

I looked over at Daniel’s Card blog, hoping for a reaction on STL giving Matheny another few years.
    He does a full evaluation “exit interview” with everyone and grades accordingly. Not real high grade for Mike Leake, lol.

Anyway I was just wondering what everyone thought of Gillaspie, and what you do with him. IF seems set with Craw Panik Belt Nunez Specs and occasional Posey at 1b, plus the ever present Triple O. Gameface might be odd guy out but I liked what I saw last year.

• Flavor said, on November 15, 2016 at 7:48 am

Gilly could go the way of Ishey. Either that or he spilt-jobs with Nunie. I’d be 100% all in on a trade for JD, depending of course on who we give up. We don’t make very good trade partners with anyone……

7. blade3colorado said, on November 15, 2016 at 7:53 am

Are you guys reading something about Martinez and the Giants? I love Martinez, but I see the Giants having zero chance in convincing him to come to the bay area. He is going to give the Tigers every opportunity to sign him, as Detroit turned his career around. Most people forget, he was going nowhere fast, when the Tigers signed Martinez to a minor league contract in 2014. Fast forward about a month later, he hit 10 bombs with 22 RBIs in his first 17 games with the Toledo Mud Hens and the Tigers purchased his contract, and he was called up. Nope, IMO – he will stay with the Tigers. Their players are getting old (see Miggy, Verlander, Victor M., and the dude who plays 2nd base – his name escapes me right now) and he will be the new face of the Tigers. No way, no how, does he sign for $12 million . . . Dude will easily score a $15 to $20 million annual contract of at least 5 years.

Last, but not least – When was the last time a big time slugger (not born in the bay area), signed with the Giants? Don’t say Kent (because no one expected him to out perform his initial contract with the Giants). I just don’t see it.

• blade3colorado said, on November 15, 2016 at 8:03 am

I mis-read GH’s post regarding Martinez, i.e., I take it he is a trade candidate and not a free agent. My bad.

• djloo27 said, on November 15, 2016 at 8:21 am

You’re new avatar is excellent, Blade. You make a very handsome couple. I recently changed mine as well.
        It would seem that one of us appears to be maturing a bit more rapidly than the other…

• blade3colorado said, on November 15, 2016 at 8:26 am

Lulz

• chipower9 said, on November 15, 2016 at 3:17 pm

Maturity-Schmamutiry…you’re only as old as you feel! I love the new aviatar, Draculoo!

8. Flavor said, on November 15, 2016 at 8:34 am

JD has one more year on his deal, 11 mil.

9. zumiee said, on November 15, 2016 at 9:24 am

I read a thing that said the commish is punting the “DH in the NL” idea down the road. It never really had a chance anyway. NL fans take probably way more pride than we should in not having the DL. But, in reality, it’s kind of amazing how often a pitcher does get a big hit. When the Giants’ pitcher is pitching against the opposing pitcher, I never take it for granted. We’ve been burned quite often by the opposing pitcher getting a big hit, or drawing a big walk.

• willedav said, on November 15, 2016 at 11:33 am

The other part is what happens to a guy like Ortiz when he is in NL park for interleague or WS. iirc he didn’t start at 1b when BoSox came here for 2 game series. How lame is that? The team relies on his bat all year but won’t put him in the field with a glove on for 6-7 innings…not real baseball.

10. willedav said, on November 15, 2016 at 11:45 am

The other reason I don’t think Evans goes really big this offseason would be payroll. I realize yard is a license to print money but I’m sure there is a line in the sand bean counters tell Evans he can’t cross.

This year alone Giants are still paying $20 mil to Cain, plus Posey and Cueto and Pence is at $18 this year and next. Samrdz gets big bucks in this territory too. Don’t remember where Moore’s contract is at but the other 5 alone account for around $100 mil.
    Next year (2018) kicks in big raise of $10 mil (!) for Belt and I think Craw too. Span is owed $20 more mil for next 2.
    Martinez and Melancon alone would add $25 mil to that, plus 2-3 years commitment for Melancon.

• willedav said, on November 15, 2016 at 11:52 am

Forgot about Bum, whose bargain days are supposed to be addressed too.

11. willedav said, on November 15, 2016 at 12:20 pm

Over on MLBTR (where the Martinez story is) under Offseason Outlooks is a detailed list of the big salary commitments Giants have this year and over length of deals. Even with all the guys leaving including Pagan writer says they likely come in around $170 mil. Samrdz got 5 yrs at $90 mil, Moore a bargain at just under $9 mil.

12. Flavor said, on November 15, 2016 at 12:45 pm

Gary Radnich is incompetent. He is the sports anchor at channel 4 and KNBR and he had no idea who JD Martinez is. How is that possible? This guy hit 38 HR’s last year…….

• Bozo said, on November 15, 2016 at 1:58 pm

Radnich’s ego overcame his talent years ago, even before I left SF.

13. gianthead said, on November 15, 2016 at 2:51 pm

Willedav, Cot’s had the Giants contracts with picking up Moore’s $7 option at essentially $147 million heading into 2017. If you land Melancon at $15 and JD Martinez at his $11.75 existing contract, we basically get to $174 mill, roughly last year payroll starting the season. Nunez is arb eligible but can’t see that being more than a $3 mill deal.

So filling in with the rest of the 25-man in this scenario, maybe puts total payroll around $185 mill with no immediate bump in Bum’s forthcoming new contract. But we will then save $12.5 for 2018 with Cain departing…

14. unca_chuck said, on November 15, 2016 at 3:15 pm

Evil Empire Jr. West Coast edition.

15. chipower9 said, on November 15, 2016 at 3:26 pm

The G-Men had a payroll of almost 173 mil last year. Next year they currently have 135 mil committed. That goes to 116 mil in 2018 and 82 mil in 2019. Yes, there are FA considerations in those years, and Craw’s $$ goes up to 15.2 each year beginning in 2018 (but that is accounted for in the numbers above). So, there is some coin to throw around. As Flav mentioned earlier, JD is due 11 mil next year. That is chump change for a guy who has put up his numbers the last three years. So, I do not think it is a stretch to make hard runs at each. The long-pole in the tent with JD is do the Giants have the pieces to satisfy the El Tigres (controllable young “TALENT”), with the emphasis on talent? I am sure they can work out something. Any thoughts on who we give up to land Martinez?

16. chipower9 said, on November 15, 2016 at 3:31 pm

Also, for any of you boys who are inclined, here is an address to which you can write Stix (his public defender was gracious enough to provide):

Carstie Clausen
    Sherbune County Jail
    13880 Business Center Drive NW
    Elk River, Minnesota 55330

As mentioned yesterday, he cannot receive gifts (Giant sweatshirt), but can receive books purchased through Amazon. I am going to send him a copy of Pawlie’s latest.

I copied yesterday’s thread headline and included that in my letter, telling him how Craig is sharing past Stix posts each day. I am sure he will get a rise outta that.

I asked him to pen a thread and to send it to me via snail mail, and that I would then post it once received. A way (slow moving) for Stix to be involved with the Flap…

FreeStix!

• Flavor said, on November 15, 2016 at 3:50 pm

is there any way to put some $$$ on his prison bank account or whatever that’s called?

• pawliekokonuts said, on November 15, 2016 at 7:18 pm

The Flap is prominently mentioned. We’re screwed. Grab your hos.

17. unca_chuck said, on November 15, 2016 at 4:06 pm

It’s a trust account . . . Depending on the facility, he can make phone calls with that $$$. If nothing he can buy shit from commissary.

18. djloo27 said, on November 15, 2016 at 6:33 pm

Xoot wrote a brilliant speculative analysis of Stix’ actions a couple of weeks back. It really appealed to the side of me that has had enough of whatever and admires someone who takes a stand no matter what the consequences. But what if he killed your 25 year old son who was just doing his job and following orders?
    Was it just fortunate that he didn’t? I want to hear his side of it badly…

• xoot said, on November 15, 2016 at 8:08 pm

I’d like to hear Stix’s side, too, but if he’s listening to his public defender he won’t divulge anything now, before trial. On the other hand, I think he’ll be supercharged with joy when he hears from the Flap.

One of the government’s early filings in the case focused on the shooting from the point of view of the guys in the chopper–broken glass, blood, fear that following rounds would hit the rotors, etc.–evidence that must’ve been based on their witness statements. I’m not sure why the government lawyers played that card early on. Maybe they needed a strong showing to convince the federal court to push its case ahead of the state court case. All of the briefs and orders I’ve seen since take a more objective view of the shooting. In any event, that one flash of subjective panic in the chopper cockpit was pretty effective. It’s pretty easy to imagine the well-coached witnesses testifying at trial. I sure do wish the best for Stix as this all plays out.

19. PaulinAsia Banh Bao said, on November 15, 2016 at 6:58 pm

I’ve never shot at a helicopter, but I have had some moments out there when I hastily flipped the bird at someone who cut me off in traffic or pissed me off in a bar, and I almost always instantly regretted it. I doubt ol’ Stix was meaning any harm, but grabbing his gun and shooting skyward might well have just been a big-time flip of the bird, that was all, except that he was flippin’ off the guvmint…… sometimes, thinking first does help….

• Flavor said, on November 15, 2016 at 7:03 pm

and he was probably high as fuuuuuuck. He did something stupid, thankfully nobody got hurt too bad from it, and I am typically on the side of citizens who don’t sit on their thumbs whilst the government fucks them for very little reason…..

20. snarkk said, on November 15, 2016 at 7:53 pm

Trump is having troubles organizing his short list for Cabinet posts and top advisors — since he and nobody in his camp figured he’d win. Here’s our chance — nominate yourself or fellow flappers for a Cabinet Post. Here’s my attempt at a quick, non-comprehensive list:

1. DEA administrator – Stix.
    2. SCOTUS nominee – Xoot.
    AGs come and go, but a SCOTUS justice hangs around a long while.
    3. Sec of Education — zoom.. He’ll get kids to read.
    4. Sec of State — blade. Excellent representative of US principles. Highly experienced in foreign affairs.
    5. Sec of Defense – Chuck. Great with the 3-4 or the 4-3, can work with either one.
    6. Chief of Staff – BF. Broad experience with herding the cats, focusing on the the real issues, getting shit done.
    7. Poet Laureate — pawlie. No explanation needed.
    8. Sec of Energy – Chi. Has plenty of it.
    9. Ambassador to China – Paul in Asia.
    10. Me — VP. I’d take over for Pence. High position, get to travel, not a bad salary, access to pretty decent private jet, free big house off of Mass Ave. in DC, big office with mahogany desk, get to each lunch in the Oval Office once a week, otherwise don’t have to do shit, and never get blamed for anything…
    11. Loo – Director of FBI.
    12. Kat – Director of ATF.
    14. Bozo – Sec. of Homeland Security and FEMA. Very experienced with Hurricanes and natural emergencies and related shit.
    15. willieD – Sec. of Commerce. Expert with marketing and retail channels expertise.

• djloo27 said, on November 15, 2016 at 8:28 pm

Great – and very Twin-like.
      Worried about him…

• djloo27 said, on November 15, 2016 at 8:39 pm

Twin couldn’t possibly resist commenting on the Stix situation, let alone the playoffs.
        Hope I’m wrong, but it doesn’t seem encouraging.
        Then again, he’s surprised many times before…

• willedav said, on November 16, 2016 at 7:34 am

Hilarious. I think the job I’d be most interested in would be Press Sec. You’d have to creatively spin doctor all the Trump Twitter rants away, plus you do get to take snarky digs at anything you term a stupid question.
      that one guy, Ziegler (?) was one of most annoying I can remember. Like someone said about Seahawks/USC Pete Carroll:
      How do you know he’s lying? His lips are moving.

• chipower9 said, on November 16, 2016 at 7:49 am

That is awesome and fucking hilarious, Tom. Had me laughing my ass off this morning, and there really is no better way to start a day (well, except maybe getting laid).

• Bozo said, on November 16, 2016 at 12:24 pm

Hurricanes? Well, I do have enough rum to slap together a few category 5s and I am thirsty…

21. blade3colorado said, on November 15, 2016 at 10:42 pm

Love the prospective Cabinet gig! Snarkk, do you think I could still stay in Vietnam?

• snarkk said, on November 16, 2016 at 12:29 am

Hell, why not?
      Trump is probably going to spend most of his time in his 3-floor palace in Trump Tower and his Mar-a-Lago in Palm Beach, not in some drafty old mansion in DC. So, you can use SE Asia as your travel hub…

22. willedav said, on November 16, 2016 at 7:18 am

Flav, I dissed Stanford men b-ball but they scored 96 last night at home vs. Cal Northridge. Key was Gs hitting outside shots; they do that they can hang. Cards were last for 3s in Pac 12 last year but Sheffield and Pickens hit a few each last night.
    Their bigs are OK, but the starting point Sanders is terrible. Still not enough talent overall, but front court not bad. Tough league tho, and imo Coach has to recruit better talent.

They get Weber St out of the Big Sky next. Not a bad idea with new coach to get some Ws in vs. chump teams, let his guys build confidence in what he’s trying to do before they step up comp.
    Props to Monmouth Hawks too for going OT vs. South Carolina on the road. They go at the Cuse next. Their coach going opp route—scheduling above the conference level to toughen up his group. Different approach for a team that was in Big Dance last year.

• Macdog said, on November 16, 2016 at 9:05 am

Yeah, heartbreaker for the Hawks last night losing on a buzzer-beater after star guard Robinson had a layup blocked with :08 left. Monmouth actually didn’t make tourney last year, played in NIT, won one game and lost to eventual champ GW.

23. unca_chuck said, on November 16, 2016 at 9:15 am

Funny stuff Snarkk!

Don’t forget, the Electoral College could always pull their votes for trump. Got a month and 2 days to stick it to the Donald. Convict him of some crimes. Unprecedented? Sure. But the stupid fuck really didn’t expect to win. He was doing this to promote Trump TV.

24. zumiee said, on November 16, 2016 at 9:18 am

A couple I know were in SF last night to see The Lion King theatrical performance, and guess who was sitting down the row from them? Hunter and Lexi! My friend took a very cool photo of them and posted it on Facebook, but I don’t know how to post photos here.

• unca_chuck said, on November 16, 2016 at 9:48 am

You got my email, zumie. I can post it if you send it to me.

25. Flavor said, on November 16, 2016 at 9:28 am

I’ve emailed Twin a few times over the last few months (including last night). No response.

• chipower9 said, on November 16, 2016 at 11:50 am

Yeah, hope he is OK. I miss that cantankerous dunderhead!

26. alleykat69 said, on November 16, 2016 at 2:17 pm

As the new Director of ATF, I will be meeting with Donald to have Stix’s sentence immediately revoked!
    Might have to pull the Trump card out but what the hell its time to Free Stix!!

27. unca_chuck said, on November 16, 2016 at 3:12 pm

The happy couple . . . (from Zumie)

hunter-lexi