Waiting

Posted in Uncategorized by Flavor on November 18, 2016

As we bide our time waiting for Sabean and Evans to do something to improve the team, I continue to scour the archives for Stix posts. I started wondering what if Stix actually had no internet and in order to post here he had to write a letter to his buddy in NY (the guy who sends him cross word puzzles) and THAT guy actually is the one who uploads Stix posts. Could it be?

___________________

#FreeStix! RPOTD

stixwiz said, on December 13, 2010 at 6:33 pm (Edit)

Blade: Good post. Great sentiment. Nice, the Heinlein quote.

This bunch keeps amazing me with their generalized erudition, common civility and generally upbeat attitude. Three reasons for my continued Flapperization.

1. willedav said, on November 18, 2016 at 7:06 am

I think Xoot and Snarkk both hit nail on the head re: A’s.
    First, yeah I can understand clubs getting pissed over A’s collecting $30 mil revenue sharing every year to suck/turn down City proposals for a new yard.
    And second, Fisher has always held the cards but sat back while Lew “We’re moving to Fremont/no San Jose/no central Arkansas” was public mouthpiece.
    Put up, as in a new yard and competitive team without needlessly dumping off best players, or STFU.

• Bozo said, on November 18, 2016 at 2:05 pm

I think Fisher was also one of the original investors to keep the Giants in SF. If he wasn’t able to get San Jose for the As with what he knew…

• xoot said, on November 18, 2016 at 3:02 pm

Wasn’t that Fisher’s father who invested in 92 and then put those GAP signs up on the OF fence?

• Bozo said, on November 18, 2016 at 4:58 pm

Yeah Xoot, I think you’re right about daddy Fisher being the SF investor.

2. willedav said, on November 18, 2016 at 7:12 am

Read thru McCovey Chron blog today where he is very cautious about Giants going all in on bidding war for Jansen or Chapman and looking to Melancon +. Nothing new here but I though blog comments underneath had an interesting discussion. And there was one guy who thought Melancon would not hold up over time.

This centered around Giants revenue/spending on other parts beside team itself like the big project for development of nearby property. Also, what exactly would be bottom line for how much they are willing to spend on salary this year (and next if long term contracts are signed), and how that impacts chances of winning.

3. unca_chuck said, on November 18, 2016 at 7:56 am

Naaah, Craig. Stix was commenting on game day stuff. He was pirating his internet from somewhere . . .

4. willedav said, on November 18, 2016 at 7:56 am

I’m hearing lot of Trump appointees and insiders use the dreaded words “national security” to justify potentially aggressive/ repressive measures. One of the new guys had called the ACLU “un American.” Yikes!
    If you were around in the ’60s and ’70s, this was code word for actions b powers that be (FBI Nixon’s AG) vs. anyone we don’t like. It’s the same excuse all repressive govts. use to crackdown on their opponents.

• chipower9 said, on November 18, 2016 at 10:22 am

Absolutely scary shit. Hang on…it is gonna be one hell of a ride for the next four years. Progressives must come together and try to keep the madman and his lackies in check.

5. djloo27 said, on November 18, 2016 at 9:39 am

If Span and Pence were in their primes, we could make do with a so-so LF.
    Unfortunately, they ain’t and we can’t.
    Cespedes is reportedly anxious to get a deal done.
    Time to quit dawdling and make a fuckin’ splash.
    The window on this team is not open all that wide…

• chipower9 said, on November 18, 2016 at 10:20 am

I agree, but I doubt it is Cespedes. I think if there is a chance to get an OFer with power, it is more the likes of Martinez, or someone similar (in costs and remaining contract). I just do not see Sabevans going all in on a four year deal at near 25 mil per.

6. chipower9 said, on November 18, 2016 at 10:19 am

I agree – Stix was probably pirating his signal. It is so easy. Most folks plug in their wireless devices and give no thought to security (most come with the standard admin password out of the box). If you do not change this, any fucking wacko with half a brain can scam on your shit. Wireless is becoming a potential big liability. We are in the middle of evaluating all of our IP cameras at multiple sites at work to ensure the default admin password has been changed and all the cameras hardened.

• Flavor said, on November 18, 2016 at 11:37 am

I highly doubt that Stix had any neighbors close enough to his house to pirate anything.

7. chipower9 said, on November 18, 2016 at 10:29 am

~92 days until pitchers and catchers report.

“People ask me what I do in the winter when there is no baseball. I’ll tell you what I do. I stare out the window and wait for spring.”
    -Rogers Hornsby

8. djloo27 said, on November 18, 2016 at 1:05 pm

Stix seems very sociable in his posts, but I don’t remember a lot of back and forth between him and other people here. I did locate a mini-battle he had with Twin a few years back, but decided not to re-post it.
    Stix was definitely proud of 2 nicknames he created:

Madison Bumgarner: The Undertaker
    Yusmeiro Petit: Use-More-Of Petit (Something like that)

9. unca_chuck said, on November 18, 2016 at 1:20 pm

Chi, Bannon alone is enough to freak the shit out of me. A card-carrying racist in the white house is unsettling to say the least.

We have one month to pin a murder, get an indictment, or some shit on the Donald before the electoral college votes on 12/18. Sure it may be a formality. But maybe not . . .

• chipower9 said, on November 18, 2016 at 1:30 pm

Problem is if they do pin something on Trump and he is impeached, you end up with Pence, and I think he is even worse (more conservative) than Trump.

• unca_chuck said, on November 18, 2016 at 2:10 pm

No, the electoral college would give the electoral votes to the other candidate. Clinton. President-elect doesn’t mean president.

• djloo27 said, on November 18, 2016 at 1:35 pm

Don’t worry, Chuck. Nothing much will change.
      This is America.
      Everybody hates everybody.

• unca_chuck said, on November 18, 2016 at 2:09 pm

Well, race based crime has escalated bigly in the past week.

When it is acceptable to be a racist, then it becomes the norm.

• djloo27 said, on November 18, 2016 at 4:47 pm

I don’t believe it, Chuck. I suspect it’s the same as ever -just getting more publicity to suit various agendas.
        Today, I witnessed a minor black on black crime. Just typical daily bullshit…

10. zumiee said, on November 18, 2016 at 3:11 pm

Regarding anyone hoping Trump’s fraud case in the Trump University scam would take him down; today he quietly agreed to pay $25 million to the victims to make the case go away. With no admission of wrong-doing. The super-rich can get away with crime. But we already knew that.

11. zumiee said, on November 18, 2016 at 3:16 pm

The military is trying to convince Trump that global warming is a security issue, and should be taken seriously. Small islands in the Pacific that the U.S. uses as bases could disappear beneath a rising ocean in a few decades. Disappearing coastlines on our continent will cause major humanitarian problems. Sounds like a long ways away, but future generations will be dealing with decisions that are made now.

• djloo27 said, on November 18, 2016 at 3:33 pm

Hopefully we’ll sign a closer before this happens…

• zumiee said, on November 18, 2016 at 3:34 pm

🙂

12. zumiee said, on November 18, 2016 at 3:33 pm

Totally different topic- music. A guilty pleasure band for me is Electric Light Orchestra, AKA ELO. Yeah, it’s way over-produced stuff, and cheesy at times; but I find it to be pleasant rock/pop. Obviously heavily influenced by the Beatles, particularly “I Am The Walrus,” and a lot of Abbey Road. Jeff Lynne clearly wishes he had been in The Beatles. (He got to work with George with The Traveling Wilburys, and may have produced one of George’s albums. I think he produced Tom Petty’s big hit solo album. “Free Fallin'”, and all those songs.) The mixture of electric guitars and cellos and violins in ELO is fun. Not everybody’s cup of tea, but it makes me smile.

• djloo27 said, on November 18, 2016 at 3:34 pm

Love ELO, Zum.
      I even like Abba…

• zumiee said, on November 18, 2016 at 3:41 pm

Yes, ABBA, definitely. Feel-good music.

Who knew that ELO was still touring? (I didn’t.) This is a video recorded from the audience, a couple of months ago.

• Bozo said, on November 18, 2016 at 5:17 pm

Not ELO related but I was watching a tribute/documentary on George Martin recently and I realized that I haven’t purposely listened to any of the Beatles catalog for a very long time. Lennon’s and Harrison’s solo stuff, yeah but really not much in the way of the Beatles as a whole.

• zumiee said, on November 18, 2016 at 7:55 pm

I know the feeling. I listened to it so much in the past, it’s in my DNA now almost.

• zumiee said, on November 18, 2016 at 8:05 pm

I really enjoyed Philip Norman’s biography of John Lennon. I see his new book is a bio of McCartney. Lots of Beatles books out there! I’m pretty much a Beatlemaniac, though they had broken up by the time I was starting to follow music.

13. djloo27 said, on November 18, 2016 at 9:17 pm

How are they able to keep coming out with biographies of people that are gone for decades or even centuries? There’s no new information. I think they just make shit up…