Nuthin’ But Dylan

Posted in Uncategorized by Flavor on November 30, 2016

Xoot’s updates on Stix are more interesting than anything I can find about the Giants and their attempt to improve the roster….

Here’s a #freestix! RPOTD for you music fans. While he sings the blues, you get to enjoy this epic post. There’s also a pretty rad typo in this, see if you can spot it.

stixwiz said, on March 28, 2014 at 10:10 am (Edit)

Dylan was born in Duluth, probably within yards of Highway 61. It has long struck me that the “God said to Abraham, kill me a son” line was referent to his own Bris. Zimmerman in ’65 was the kinda guy who would have questioned even that foundational aspect of Jewish culture. Also on the Highway 61 album appears what i consider to be the greatest single English language poem of the 20th Century, “Desolation Row”. It may have been a bit easier for me to understand than for most folks as i spent that summer of ’65 hanging out in the Village and thus was able to catch many of the nuances which slip past most listeners without that cultural baggage. At a later date the late, great Lou Rawls captured something of the same essence of the NYC scene of that era which, in some senses, was a precursor to SF’s Summer of Love in his “Walk on the Wild Side”.

1. blade3colorado said, on November 30, 2016 at 6:23 am

Chuckling a bit . . . The song Stix referenced – Walk On The Wild Side – is Lou Reed, not Lou Rawls. It is one of my favorite songs (along with his Heroin)

2. willedav said, on November 30, 2016 at 7:27 am

The Lou Rawls hit from ’60s was “Dead End Street”, very cool song about life in the Windy…
    Desolation Row was really long; there were other great songs on that LP that I listened to a lot more.
    Loved “It Takes a Lot to Laugh…:” with the harmonica and relaxed beat.

3. willedav said, on November 30, 2016 at 7:58 am

Really liked the early Dylan stuff; my younger brother has all the vinyl from those days. Used to buy his bootlegs (LPs in red) from his solo days with guitar and harmonica–Talking JBS Blues, Bear Mountain Picnic, good stuff. Like a Rolling Stone was first long song to make AM radio, 6 minute cut.

That JR Smith clip, wow. Check him in the post game with a combo balaclava ski mask outfit. Joked that “I didn’t know I was in the game.” Funny thing is, J T is a guy he threw an elbow at in playoffs few years ago. Takes some understanding teammates to put up with this guy, especially since Bucks blasted LeBron and his boys as Anteto went off for 34.

• Flavor said, on November 30, 2016 at 8:54 am

he didn’t know he was in the game? What kind of nonsense is that? He was next to the opposing teams bench. What else would have been doing over there if he wasn’t in the game? And he shot back on to the court in a nano second. If he didn’t think he was in the game why would he do that?

• Bozo said, on November 30, 2016 at 9:22 am

I have an early Dylan bootleg that was called “The Kindest Cut”, blank labels on the vinyl (I wrote side one and side two on it), the cover picture/song listings is Scotch taped on the front. I think it was from a radio broadcast. Of his stuff he does “Hard Times In New York Town”, his VD songs (VD Blues, Waltz, City and Gunner) but most of the LP are old traditional tunes. I think he was a bit loaded when he did it, on Cocaine he tries to rhyme purple with nipple, “Here comes my baby all dressed in purple, hey baby I wanna see your nipples. Cocaine running all round my brain”.
      Definitely an LP keeper for me.

4. unca_chuck said, on November 30, 2016 at 10:12 am

Saw Lou Rawls butcher the national anthem at a Niner game years and years ago. Funny moment when everyone heard him miss an entire verse and started looking around with a ‘did I hear that right?’ look on their faces.

Dylan? Love his lyrics, I just never could take his singing. Sacrilege I know, but like Geddy Lee, both are fingernails on a chalkboard to me.

Neil Young I love though . . .

• djloo27 said, on November 30, 2016 at 1:52 pm

The expression “fingernails on a chalkboard” is like fingernails on a chalkboard to me.
      Although, it’s not even in my top 100. Almost every expression and saying is driving me nuts.
      The next person who says “like a kid in a candy store” around me is a dead man…

5. Bozo said, on November 30, 2016 at 10:18 am

It seems we are still a possible destination for McCutchen, would any of you make this trade? I would and I really like Law.

6. xoot said, on November 30, 2016 at 11:05 am

I’m surprised Stix didn’t also mention the Minnesota town of Rollingstone, just a couple miles west of Highway 61, or the fact that Highway 61 runs all the way down the river to Memphis and the Mississippi delta, and ends in New Orleans. I agree–It Takes a Lot to Laugh, It Takes a Train to Cry is a masterpiece; but then I think that album is the best rock record ever made. https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Rollingstone,_Minnesota

I suspect the lack of a new CBA has cooled the stove so far this winter. The deadline for a new CBA is midnight tonight, isn’t it?

• zumiee said, on November 30, 2016 at 11:18 am

Any delay on a new CBA seems ridiculous to me. I’m VERY pro-union; but sheesh, things could hardly be better for the players. Mediocre players are getting huge contracts. The minimum wage is $500,000 a year. The maximum wage is a gazillion dollars a year for 10+ years. A new CBA should be a slam dunk, for both the players and the owners. BUT, we know how MLB has an infinite ability to shoot itself in the foot.
      It took me a long time to come back from the ’94 strike. (And the fact the Giants were terrible in the mid-1990s.) I didn’t really fully come back until the Giants built the new ballpark.

• zumiee said, on November 30, 2016 at 11:22 am

Plus, I hate how it makes me feel as a fan watching players and owners tromp into collective bargaining meetings together. It basically reminds me that THEY’RE the thing, and we the fans are like some dog turds left on the sidewalk. Although…..WE FUND THE ENTIRE OPERATION with our money and the TV and radio ratings we generate.

• xoot said, on November 30, 2016 at 11:57 am

I saw an interesting take on the “labor” talks. Might have been Brisbee. Scott Boras doesn’t like the draft because it means he gets to negotiate with only one team (over signing bonuses). Ergo, Boras (and he’s representative here) does not want to see an international draft.

7. Flavor said, on November 30, 2016 at 11:14 am

I’m still hung up on this: I wouldn’t do this trade but the Pirates would accept Bumgarner for McCutchen, right?

8. snarkk said, on November 30, 2016 at 12:37 pm

If I were players I wouldn’t agree to an intl draft. Stifles salary levels for everybody. Way better to have six teams chasing the next Puig than just one who suddenly has exclusive rights thru no agreement of the international players themselves…

9. chipower9 said, on November 30, 2016 at 1:00 pm

As much as I want a bat, I would not do the trade if it involved Law. I see him being a key piece to our bullpen. Now if it was Crick and a couple of other mid-level prospects, then yes.

10. chipower9 said, on November 30, 2016 at 1:01 pm

Hey, we’re outta the 80s (no, not music wise)…ST countdown.

~79 daze until pitchers and catchers report…

11. djloo27 said, on November 30, 2016 at 1:44 pm

The Giants CF is Denard Span. McCutchen ain’t coming here.

• Flavor said, on November 30, 2016 at 3:08 pm

yeah, I don’t think we could ever in a million years compete anyway, not with all the prospects other teams would float out there. And Bum would be a massive overpayment, in my opinion. Maybe Belt + Young Beedah or Arroyo? Move Buster to first base? Again, it’ll never happen. Just something to kick around.

12. pawliekokonuts said, on November 30, 2016 at 4:28 pm

Cutch owns Pittsburgh. Fans would lament it.

13. gianthead said, on November 30, 2016 at 4:54 pm

Love me some Lou Rawls…Lou Reed on the other hand…Stix may have been testing some of his product that day….

14. underthoughtsite said, on November 30, 2016 at 5:05 pm

Hey guys – I subscribe to your stuff on WordPress and really enjoy it. I just wrote a quickie about Machado and Harper on my site and would love to get some people who really know baseball to weigh in on a poll I have going. If you have time, please check it out and vote. Thanks – Dave at underthought underthoughtsite.wordpress.com

15. Flavor said, on November 30, 2016 at 5:24 pm

tired of this shit…..

16. unca_chuck said, on November 30, 2016 at 5:33 pm

Like stopping eating meat and getting hurt al the time so you can make crap-ass videos?

• Flavor said, on November 30, 2016 at 5:47 pm

lol, yes, like that

• snarkk said, on November 30, 2016 at 7:49 pm

I don’t really get what it is that Pence and wife get out of this video and twitter shit. Are they somehow making money on this, or just have time on their hands and jacking around with this stuff just so people can see them doing nothing but pay attention to themselves?…

17. Macdog said, on November 30, 2016 at 6:32 pm

I hope she tells him to stop swinging at crap pitches.

18. Flavor said, on November 30, 2016 at 6:36 pm

I get that Hunter was just mugging for that pic, ha fucking ha, but there is just too much of a connection between his engagement to this chick and a consistent slide towards injury and mediocrity. It just bums me out, it didn’t need to go down like this. Bang chicks, bang the same chick, whatever. To be the best in baseball, to meet the expectations of your huge salary, you need to be focused up. But after following Hunter and his pending bride for the last couple of years on twitter, I do not feel like he is focused up on baseball…….

19. gianthead said, on November 30, 2016 at 6:43 pm

Looks like they got a chance deal and Giants comfortably under luxury cap…

• gianthead said, on November 30, 2016 at 6:47 pm

CBA deal…you spell check bastards…

20. gianthead said, on November 30, 2016 at 6:46 pm

The one story Flav posted suggesting that the Pirates may not be as demanding on top tier talent in a deal for McCutchen and offering Derek Law as maybe a top name in a potential deal, makes the idea of a deal f9r McCutchen now than later as more realistic. But I would put good money on the Nats making a big move to get McCutchen and probably willing to deal Taylor in such a scenario..m

21. Flavor said, on November 30, 2016 at 8:00 pm

this is our soon to be fucking President…..
    Donald J. Trump ‏@realDonaldTrump 11m11 minutes ago
    Look forward to going to Indiana tomorrow in order to be with the great workers of Carrier. They will sell many air conditioners!

22. willedav said, on November 30, 2016 at 8:47 pm

Interesting to see how Giants evaluate Cutch. Could he do better than last year in Giants LU or is he next Angel Pagan?

Pirates being proactive. They finished under .500 last year and are paying him $14 mil. They have number of holes to fill, losing Liriano and Melancon, down year from Harrison, C, 1b…so if they can get a couple decent almost ready prospects NOW they have to look into it. God forbid they hold out and he’s hitting .259 next June.

23. willedav said, on November 30, 2016 at 9:54 pm

Gaels 66-51, at Maples. Cards shoot 38% from floor at home, 3-12 3 pts. Starters 10-32, 2 guys off bench only ones in double figures. Haase has long way to go to drawn fans in to compete with women’s team.

24. mrsprtdude said, on November 30, 2016 at 11:11 pm

Bozo..
    If the article is acurate and we could get mcCutchen for 2 years for those 2??Yes. Sabean can get bullpen guys, but and leftfielder for 2 years? Or center? This would be a great trade. AM had his worst year ever and those numbers still make him the best hitter on our team. Would he be better in our lineup with Pence posey etc? Yes…Do it!