Still Talking About Something That isn’t Going to Happen Here

Posted in Uncategorized by Flavor on December 1, 2016

Sounds like the Pirates are just looking for prospects for ‘Cutch and that takes us out of the running. I would still try to pawn off Belt to them along with our best pitching prospect. But there is only one year left on his deal so maybe it wouldn’t take this much to get him. Of course, I would trade Belt for probably a little less than he is worth. But that’s just me.

#FreeStix! RPOTD!

stixwiz said, on March 13, 2014 at 10:32 am (Edit)

70’s MLB: In 71 i turned 27 and was as far away as i’d ever get from giving a rap about baseball. It was the late peak of the “turn on, tune in and drop out” era and they were all part of my experience. Would not have missed 64-73 for nothin. There was magic in the air, but not for the Giants.

Candlestick Park and Horace Stoneham caught up with the Giants through the 70’s and though that 71 team had some sparkle it was pretty much downhill from there on, what with Mays going to the Mutts, Stretch to the Pads, i seem to recall and Bobby B. later to the Yanks. Much of this disintegration had to do with the fact that ol’ Horace had been sold a lemon out there on the foggy, windy point and the revenues simply frittered away and so, ultimately did the team. So for me, the Seventies was the decade where i got out of touch with the game.

Believe it was ’82 or so when i started tuning in again and remembering Joe Morgan’s smash to sink the LaBumbos’ pennant hopes. Never having owned a boobtoob, my only on-time connexions with the game were by way of opposition radio clear-channel a.m. radio stations out of St. Louis, Pittsburgh, Cincinnati and Chicago. Crackle and static, with the dial turned up to max output.

For me it all changed after 2002 when i first got connected with the net. After a STEEP learning curve i was able to access daily info on the Giants and in another five or six years, the blogs hooked me. Daily contact with fellow Giants fanatics. Had i died and gone to Heaven, or what? Cainer and Timmy came along. Even the national sports media started noticing action by the Bay. Then 2010 and the Golden Gate opened. Wow!

1. blade3colorado said, on December 1, 2016 at 7:47 am

Totally get your dislike for Belt Flavor, as I often voiced disgust for his play and his apparent “woe is me” attitude (especially after at bats). Grudgingly, I have to give him credit for this last season, where I think he fullfilled most expectations. Sheesh, I even went as far as saying a few weeks ago, that “. . . Belt and Crawford are untouchable.” Gulp.

Just watch next season – I will likely eat those words.

2. willedav said, on December 1, 2016 at 7:47 am

“…trade Belt for a little less than he is worth”, lol. like him or not he was the single best hitter on the team last year. Trade him and move Posey fantasizers have to figure out who is gonna C. If you could get Pirates to throw in Cervelli somehow it might work. But you can’t just throw away this entire position and have Brown or a waiver wire scrubini in the LU every single day.

Unless of course the aesthetic value of not having to watch Belt everyday regardless of who Cs is all that really matters.

3. gianthead said, on December 1, 2016 at 8:07 am

Well we all know Posey is not moving to first permanently as it is and don’t see any first base options in the open market or even the trade market that jumps at me. I think if it is a battle for top tier prospects to land McCutchen, then we lose. Also why I think landing JD Martinez is more realistic in that they are going to take less prospects than what the Pirates will want. I also think the asking price for McCutchen will be significantly less at the trade deadline than now but if they are truly looking to move him now, other teams like the Nats are more likely trade partners..

4. unca_chuck said, on December 1, 2016 at 8:08 am

Belt is Belt, but Posey is not going to 1st for a couple more years Belt is a plus plus defender and if we had someone ready to take his spot? Maybe.

Shit, we could get Conor’s brother Casey Gillaspie from the Rays. He’s a 1st baseman who’s fairly highly rated.

Chris Shaw, our #1 pick in 2015 (31st) is still a couple years away. He’s a 1st baseman as well. He hit well in A ball and continued in AA.

5. Lurker John said, on December 1, 2016 at 8:08 am

All Star game no longer tied to WS home field advantage. ‘Bout time.

6. snarkk said, on December 1, 2016 at 9:12 am

Yep. looks like the Pennant winner with the better reg season record gets home field in the WS. Boy, that was a hard one to figure out…

7. unca_chuck said, on December 1, 2016 at 9:23 am

Duh. Next is doing away with the unbalanced interleague shit.

And that is one of Stix’s best posts . . .

8. Flavor said, on December 1, 2016 at 9:29 am

my buddy, who is a casual lurker at the blog, texted me this morning “What is #freestix?” I started texting him the story but quickly shook my head and just texted him “gonna have to tell you about that in person.”

9. chipower9 said, on December 1, 2016 at 9:40 am

Was so fucking happy to hear about the WS home field advantage no longer being tied to the winner of the AS game. Boy, those baseball execs are a bunch of fucking geniuses, eh. SHM…

As much as I would like to have McC in LF, I just do not see it happening. As others have pointed out, I think other teams would pony-up a better package. I would be OK with Crick-Shaw, etc. Prefer not to deal Law, and Panik? Fuck that (I know some of you guys would deal Panik in a NY minute…I ain’t one of them). In one of those linked articles I read, it was also mentioned that McC has no desire to move to a corner spot.

Cool Stix post, and agree Flav, no way you are providing the backstory on Stix via text. That would be painful.

~78 daze until pitchers and catchers report.

• alleykat69 said, on December 1, 2016 at 10:17 am

Why would the Giants deal Panik anyway?
      Got a GG,with a GG infield basically, and I still will say which I’ve said in the past, if he’s healthy he has the perfect swing to win a batting title! He’s not going anywhere, if anything Arroyo goes to 3rd and Nunie becomes the super sub next year in LF/3B..

• chipower9 said, on December 1, 2016 at 12:07 pm

Agree, Kat. You are preaching to the choir with me, brother.

10. gianthead said, on December 1, 2016 at 10:16 am

One of those stories about what the Pirates are potentially doing on mlb trade rumors mentioned their lefty bullpen act Tony Watson may also be available and he is about to make around $6 mill a year. They should do all they can to add Watson in any potential deal for McCutchen or even a separate deal. Reunite him with Melancon and we would have a killer and more reliable 1-2 punch and Pittsburgh native Derek Law as part of a package of prospects would suit me dandy. I still would not add Panik nor Arroyo to such a deal but would be tempted on Panik…

11. Bozo said, on December 1, 2016 at 11:57 am

I originally mentioned Panik because adding him to a package last year was apparently the deal breaker for us getting Andrew Miller. Now I love Panik as well, but I think we would have gone a bit deeper in the playoffs with Miller and we wouldn’t be worried about a Closer this year (hindsight is a wonderful thing, isn’t it?). So my point is, we do have players other teams want but sometimes the trade blows up because the Giants are reluctant to pull the trigger. But then again, sometimes they do. Does anyone regret the Duffy for Moore trade now? Mejia for Nunez?

IMO two years of what McCutchen could bring to the table is worth Derek Law, who is my favorite arm in our Pen. Hell yeah I’d rather they took Crick or even Strickland as the center piece but I’d be willing to trade Law.

GH is probably right though, the Nats started talking to the Pirates last year so they have the head start.

• chipower9 said, on December 1, 2016 at 12:06 pm

Yeah, I have said no way on Law, but if he and some other pieces got it done, I would be down. But I truly do not see this coming to fruition.

• gianthead said, on December 1, 2016 at 12:21 pm

There is a story out Bozo about the Nats and Pirates being pretty far down the road on a deal. Nats have a lot of young pieces throughout their org…

12. willedav said, on December 1, 2016 at 12:06 pm

Who exactly would the Giants top prospects be and who rates them?
    Funny thing about the Nats is, they balked last year when Pirates asked about the kid Robles.

• chipower9 said, on December 1, 2016 at 12:13 pm

Top 30 (from Giants website). Not sure who compiles the rankings…

• gianthead said, on December 1, 2016 at 12:27 pm

Chi, they have Ty Blach #23, that is ridiculous. He looked major league 5th starter worthy. But noteworthy how the Stratton and Blackburn’s have fallen.

13. chipower9 said, on December 1, 2016 at 12:11 pm

Regarding Belt, I have certainly had my moments of frustration with him, but seriously, his lifetime line is:

.272, 359, .460, .818 and he averages 18 bombs and 72 RBIs a year. You couple that with his way better than average D, and I just don’t see many ways to upgrade there (and no, Posey to first is not an upgrade – you make two positions weaker defensively with that move).

If the Giants had someone in the wings ready NOW, my tune would be different and I would have no problem packaging Belt as part of a trade for an OFer or closer, etc.

14. willedav said, on December 1, 2016 at 12:13 pm

And while this is on my mind re: “pawn off Belt”:
    Belt led the team in following offensive categories last year:

doubles with 41 (closest had 28)
    second on team in triples with 8
    HRs with 17 (Craw nosedived from 21 to 12)
    OB at .394
    Slug at .474
    OPS and OPS+
    total bases

Trading him sounds like something the A’s would do.

• chipower9 said, on December 1, 2016 at 12:22 pm

A much more compelling argument than mine, WillieD.

• willedav said, on December 1, 2016 at 12:28 pm

ah, just think he is more part of the solution than part of the problem. Hopefully he can build on last year, be more consistent and reverse second half struggles. 2018 contract goes way up, so he’d better.

• gianthead said, on December 1, 2016 at 12:29 pm

I’m with the two of you on Belt…now how about trading Posey…I kid I kid….

15. willedav said, on December 1, 2016 at 12:22 pm

I don’t think Posey will ever be a .900 OPS guy again because of the way RF and RCF are at ATT.
    He has power there, but the height of the wall and the distance as it curves its way toward CF are too imposing for him (and every other RH) to jack the ball out of the yard.
    RFs there will always play RH way off the line, so they are right where Posey wants to hit an outside pitch.
    Best idea is to take outside pitches and line them in front of the D for singles like he does.
    Somewhere btw 20-25 HRs imo is his ceiling.

16. Irish Kevin said, on December 1, 2016 at 12:27 pm

Why trade any of the all star infielders and try and move your all star catcher. Belt has always been fine by me. Crawford and Panik? Why breakup one of the best double play combos in the league? And why try and move the catcher who has caught all 3 WS titles and all the playoff games? Not going to happen, of course I didn’t think they would trade Duffy either, so I guess anything can happen, I mean look MLB is going with best record for home field advantage!!

17. gianthead said, on December 1, 2016 at 12:31 pm

I don’t think the Nats will trade Robles, but if I could move Trea Turner and Joe Ross and land McCutchen, I think that is a pretty good deal for both and McCutchen is not guaranteed a second year, I think he has a reasonable $1 mill buyout option.

18. willedav said, on December 1, 2016 at 12:54 pm

completely off topic, jazz station I listen to has a weekly program “Desert Island” where they have a guest pick their favs. Tmw guest is Bruce Jenkins, whose Dad Gordon was arranger for Sinatra back in the day.

? for Bozo: I heard a great tune with Fats Navarro backing up Billy Eckstine and taking a solo. This was taken from a 4 cd compilation of Navarro’s work that was at a great savings from I believe a foreign label. One reviewer disparaged sound quality and said the originals from Savoy and Blue Note were much better. Do you have these? Thoughts?

• Bozo said, on December 1, 2016 at 1:57 pm

Sorry Willie, I don’t have any of Fats playing with Billy Eckstine. I have a Dexter Gordon LP called Master Takes – The Savoy Recordings (on the Savoy label). Where Dexter is playing with different combos, the 4 tunes with Fats has Tad Dameron on piano. I also have a mono Blue Note LP called The Fabulous Fats Navarro vol 1 where he plays with the Tad Dameron sextet and septet, the Bud Powell quintet and the McGhee-Navarro Boptet. Maybe it was on Volume 2? 🙂

19. djloo27 said, on December 1, 2016 at 1:47 pm

If Crawford would get his fat ass in shape he could be a genuine superstar…

20. zumiee said, on December 1, 2016 at 3:22 pm

Crazy. We share the roads and freeways with some bad drivers.

21. xoot said, on December 1, 2016 at 3:50 pm

The Minnesota U.S Attorney’s Office responded tersely to the seven short motions Stix’s federal public defender filed just before Thanksgiving. In several instances, the government simply incorporated the briefs that it previously had filed in response to Stix’s own earlier motions. Here’s the full text of one of the government responses:

6. DEEENDANT’S MOTION TO SUPPRESS STATEMENT (DKT. # 49)
    The government will rely on the previously filed response. The defendant did make
    admissions to deputies of the Clearwater County Sheriff’s Office. In addition, the
    defendant admitted shooting the helicopter in a letter written while he was in federal
    custody. The letter was not the product of law enforcement interrogation. It was a product
    of the defendant’s desire to write an article(s) for Rolling Stone magazine.

• Flavor said, on December 1, 2016 at 4:17 pm

Sorry for my ignorance, but what does this mean?

• xoot said, on December 1, 2016 at 4:30 pm

This is the government responding to a simple motion to suppress evidence of things said that tend to prove guilt. The government’s argument is that it obtained the admissions of guilt legally, so the evidence of those admissions should not be suppressed or excluded at trial. The government is implicitly arguing that it had the lawful right to read and copy a private letter written in jail by an inmate.

• xoot said, on December 1, 2016 at 4:31 pm

At least that’s the way I read it.

• Flavor said, on December 1, 2016 at 4:55 pm

got it. Thanks! I feel like there is no way Stix gets out of this unless the govt decides to take pity on him. Is that your take?

• xoot said, on December 1, 2016 at 5:51 pm

That’s essentially my take; however, I don’t expect any pity from the prosecutors.

• Bozo said, on December 1, 2016 at 5:37 pm

I thought that all he admitted was that he owned the gun. Didn’t he tell the investigators that it was their job to find out who fired it?

I guess the defense has to argue that the letter to Rolling Stone was fiction, right?
      Maybe he just wanted to see his picture on the cover and he wanted to buy five copies for his mother or something.

22. djloo27 said, on December 1, 2016 at 6:20 pm

• Flavor said, on December 1, 2016 at 6:28 pm

lol! He was so fucked up that day.

• wilcojoe said, on December 1, 2016 at 6:29 pm

That’s awesome Loo! Hunter Stixwix Thompson.

• Bozo said, on December 1, 2016 at 7:04 pm

Extra primo good Mr. Loo.

• pawliekokonuts said, on December 1, 2016 at 7:13 pm

brilliant

• alleykat69 said, on December 1, 2016 at 7:39 pm

That’s Awesome!!
      Shit Keith Richards can’t even compare to the legend of Stix right now!!!

23. Flavor said, on December 1, 2016 at 6:52 pm

Love watching The Cavs get killed, even if it’s by the Clippers who I normally dislike.

• willedav said, on December 1, 2016 at 8:07 pm

warriors Houston off to great start. could be 140-138.

24. PaulinAsia Banh Bao said, on December 1, 2016 at 8:07 pm

Story on MLB site says this about Dexter Fowler as a possible signing for Giants: “They’ve (Giants) got the rotation to get back to the Series but need another quality outfielder. Fowler’s a two-way upgrade who could play center — turning Denard Span, who hit .217 against lefties last year, into a platoon player — or left field, replacing departing free agent Angel Pagan. Their leadoff men were 28th in the Majors in OPS last season.” I know I have voiced the opinion that I’d love to see a new CFer and make Span the 4th OFer, others here too, but we all figure Giants would not “bench” Span. But this is the first time I’ve seen a *pundit* suggest it.

• James said, on December 1, 2016 at 8:19 pm

If the Giants signed Fowler, it would be intolerable for many to see him letting all those incorrectly called strike 3s go by, while simultaneously having to endure Belt. It would be a banner year for me, though!

• PaulinAsia Banh Bao said, on December 1, 2016 at 8:30 pm

I’m with you on this. Belt is a pure pleasure to watch in the field. I don’t really even care about his supposedly droopy body language, that’s the price to pay to enjoy his great little bat drop after he connects. And I’d take Fowler in center in a second.

25. PaulinAsia Banh Bao said, on December 1, 2016 at 9:01 pm

Chris Haft at MLB also says he thinks Giants brain trust will “act fast” at the meetings next week instead of just planting seeds for deals later. One thing bugs me, though: Evans has said they are *content* to go into Spring Training with Williamson and Parker competing for LF. Really? Then why the hell (other than an injury in Mac’s case) did those 2 players disappear from action in that dismal 2nd half of the season after contributing reasonably well in the 1st half? Would love to see these 2 get more playing time, but not sure either one is the top-notch starter the team likely needs.

• blade3colorado said, on December 2, 2016 at 1:16 am

Paul, I’m not absolutely certain, but Williamson and Parker were sat and/or reassigned in the 2nd half, after regulars came back from injury. In short, they really didn’t get the opportunity to play as much in the 2nd half, as they did in the 1st half (where they performed admirably). That conundrum still has not been explained by the brass or Bochy. I can only imagine that Bochy wanted to play “his guys” (code for veterans). We saw how that worked.

26. unca_chuck said, on December 1, 2016 at 9:25 pm

At this rate there will be 5,000 fouls in this Warrior game. Fucking unreal.

27. unca_chuck said, on December 1, 2016 at 9:51 pm

Warriors are playing dumb.

28. unca_chuck said, on December 1, 2016 at 9:52 pm

Houston cant defend for shit so naturally we are running and gunning,

29. unca_chuck said, on December 1, 2016 at 10:11 pm

Shit, these guys are good if they can be down 18-0 on 2nd chance baskets, turnovers galore, Steph and Klay like 8-32, getting killed on the boards and be up 3.

30. Macdog said, on December 1, 2016 at 10:43 pm

Didn’t know Ryan Anderson was with Houston, started off with Nets and showed promise, but got traded to Orlando and he’s been a damn good shooter, nearly won this one tonight with a big 4th quarter. And now we go to a 2nd OT.

• unca_chuck said, on December 1, 2016 at 10:47 pm

Yeah, he’s been killing it in the 4th.

31. unca_chuck said, on December 1, 2016 at 10:47 pm

Crazy. This shows you why the West is head and shoulders above the East. And the road to the Finals is 5x harder for teams from the West. Fucking Cleve didn’t lose a game till the Eastern conference finals. The Warriors battled through every team in the west.

32. unca_chuck said, on December 1, 2016 at 10:57 pm

That flagrant on Draymond is stupid.