Friday!

Posted in Uncategorized by Flavor on December 2, 2016

This is one of my all time favorite Stix posts. It was probably also one of his final entries here at the Flap. I wonder what he’s doing for exercise in the clink? I keep wondering if anyone is feeding his cats. I’m positive no one is mowing “the estate.”

#FreeStix! RPOTD

Carstie Clausen said, on August 2, 2016 at 7:39 am (Edit)

Golf? Well i ain’t getting my summer workouts this week and i’m a bit pissed. Mechanic informed me the coil is out on the 22″ Huskvarna mower and it’ll take another two three days. They call it a “push” mower these days cause it is not self-propelled. A friend brought one of those by a few weeks back and using it for a few minutes convinced me that no way would i want one of those clumsy, heavy, complifuted monstrosities on my course.

Though the estate is a bit over 8 acres i only mow three or so and its up and down hills, dodging trees, shrubs and various stone-lined raised-bed gardens, ponds and whatever. Fantastic workout, but one needs easy mobility with your machine. One of those contraptions where you ride around on your ass like some doddering doofus? Fuggidaboudit! Very little of what the Germans call “sitzfleish” on my corpus. I do not sit well or very long at a time.

But fast approaching 72, i need that mowing workout on a steady basis through the summer and it’s galling me because with tropical rainforest conditions during July we just experienced the heaviest growth ever of the grass population ~ and when it gets over 6″ inches tall ~ particularly that nasty, heavy redclover down on the polderlands ~ the whole affair turns into brutal trench warfare.

Some H.S. football player could get himself into great shape investing about 4 hours daily on what will be facing me when i get the mower back. He’d go through the opposing line like shit through a goose.

1. Flavor said, on December 2, 2016 at 6:57 am

Maybe he was selling weed illegally and if he was I can’t really fault the Feds for targeting him. But it is clear that this guy wasn’t bothering a soul, he spent his days working on “the estate.” It just seems fucked up that it’s all over in blink of an eye for him. I would love to walk “the course” alone, just see what he had been working on back there all these years.

2. chipower9 said, on December 2, 2016 at 7:10 am

You mirror my sentiments exactly, Flav. Great Stix post.

I was saddened when I got the news on Stix. I have a couple of trips with my trailer planned in my mind, and one will be a northern route through Wyoming, Montana, the Dakotas, with hopes of meeting-up with Stix while on my way through the northeast and on to Maine. I wanted so bad to see “the estate.” I suppose I can still meet-up with him, but the visit will be drastically different than the one I had envisioned.

~78 daze until pitchers and catchers report. I long to smell the fresh-cut grass and hear the call “Play Ball!”

3. gianthead said, on December 2, 2016 at 7:41 am

I forgot to make and get comments on the one story yesterday of the Orioles showing interest in Pagan…if true, that would be interesting and hope Pagan well…Fowler being linked to the Giants is hopefully full of hot air. Solves very little in my mind. Had just 13 ateals…18 mill a year for that. F that.

4. wilcojoe said, on December 2, 2016 at 7:55 am

I always liked Fowler but it seems like he has been playing forever. Got to think his best years are behind him. I could see us getting him and it turning out to be another Denard Span deal.

• djloo27 said, on December 2, 2016 at 7:58 am

If they sign Fowler, I’m taking next season off…

• chipower9 said, on December 2, 2016 at 8:00 am

I’m with Loo…

5. Flavor said, on December 2, 2016 at 8:03 am

I wanted them to sign Fowler a couple of years ago. Thought he would threaten the AT&T park triples record. But that was at a greatly reduced price from what he will be getting now. So I am off signing him, too.

6. willedav said, on December 2, 2016 at 8:06 am

Fear and Mowing in Far North.

Hard to imagine care and feeding of all the “vegetation” on the estate, esp at his age. Would have been interesting to have gotten a tour of it. Wonder what happens there going forward.

Fowler had breakout contract year, catalyst at top of LU for WS Champs with his .390 OB etc. He’s gonna get his wherever he decides to play. Always seemed to have this kind of potential–I distinctly remember a series in Sherpaville where he went like 9-11 over a weekend and killed Giants.
    Not uncommon for guys to do this in walk year, less so for it to be sustainable.

7. willedav said, on December 2, 2016 at 8:10 am

Bozo, thx. Sounds like great stuff, Navarro with Dex, Tad Dameron, Bud Powell in early days, Howard McGhee.
    I do have a vinyl copy of “Maggie’s Back in Town”.

8. willedav said, on December 2, 2016 at 8:25 am

Another great weekend for sports. College football has rivalry game in Okla and conference championships, b-ball has Zags vs. AZ,, Big 5 Villanova-St. Joe’s, UCLA vs. Kentucky, Suns at Warriors in high energy match up NFL rematch of Carolina and Seachickens and flag flap…
    Montreal Club de Hockey in town for once yearly matchup at SharkTank.

9. djloo27 said, on December 2, 2016 at 8:34 am

There are lots of guys on this blog that are really great writers.
    Stix might be #1…

10. Bozo said, on December 2, 2016 at 8:52 am

Wow, he allegedly shot at the helicopter 6 days after this post.

• chipower9 said, on December 2, 2016 at 8:56 am

Amazing…to be a fly in the woods when that all went down…

• Bozo said, on December 2, 2016 at 9:35 am

I know, right? To go from sitting at his desk/table/whatever blogging about mowers, to popping Coppers in a chopper, that must have been a hell of a week.

11. djloo27 said, on December 2, 2016 at 9:05 am

I think he should have just acted half senile and said he thought he was under attack…

12. blade3colorado said, on December 2, 2016 at 9:23 am

Fowler never fullfilled expectations in Sherpaville. Didn’t steal much and when he did, he was thrown out a lot. Disgusting for someone who at one time was the fastest player in the MLB. He would literally disappear for weeks (see “Invisible Span”). Only as a center fielder was he a joy to watch. However, as WilcoJoe noted – he’s past his prime, i.e., I am fairly certain he has issues fielding that Wrigley band box.

I guess there are two schools of thought as to whether Stix is thriving in prison or going stir crazy. Me? I dunno . . . I guess it could be a “stir crazy” situation like that scene in Tom Horn with Steve McQueen. However, I think it’s likely that Stix is liking his 3 squares every day, a shower, warm cot, and regaling his fellow inmates with stories about his hippy days in Greenwich Village. Sheesh, I have owned 2 mountain homes with acreage and believe me, without help (wife or kids), tending to acreage isn’t easy. Especially true in a cold climate, where you are either winterizing your home (in late summer and fall) or dealing with it in the winter, e.g., moving snow from Point A to Point B.

13. pawliekokonuts said, on December 2, 2016 at 9:53 am

I concur with Loo about Stix’s writing talents. He was among the best here. But when you think about it, there are many exceptional writers here, starting with Magnus. As for rapid-fire, pithy nuggets? No one beats Loo. But there’s lots of insightful, cogent, clear, literate commentary here. I’d venture more so than most blogs.

14. pawliekokonuts said, on December 2, 2016 at 9:54 am

Was Stix sending coded messages to aliens or clients by using the word “grass”? LQTM.

15. chipower9 said, on December 2, 2016 at 10:31 am

Not sure if this link was ever shared, but I think it is one of the more comprehensive pieces of analysis on the Giants heading into this year…

• blade3colorado said, on December 2, 2016 at 11:16 am

Good stuff Chi! The author makes a fairly good case that other than a closer, Giants will be zzzzzz in the hot stove season.

• chipower9 said, on December 2, 2016 at 11:24 am

Well, I believe he says they will fill LF, too, but that a closer is the priority.

16. zumiee said, on December 2, 2016 at 12:01 pm

The CBA taken care of, and the winter meetings approaching, the Hot Stove is ready to heat up.
    With Trump elected, the teams and players will eventually be getting huge tax cuts. As the “trickle-down” scam does its usual thing, taking the economy into recession (in my opinion), the gap between fans and players will get even larger, and the gap is already astronomical. The other day I kind of agonized over whether to buy a magazine or not. LOL. Well, we’ll see what happens. I have some friends and relatives who are Trump supporters, and they fully believe he’s about to take us into a glorious amazing new era. That’s an even bigger LOL.

• Flavor said, on December 2, 2016 at 6:13 pm

Do you know who is footing the bill for this absurd “Victory Tour” nonsense? I googled it and nothing came up.

• unca_chuck said, on December 2, 2016 at 10:01 pm

It better fucking be Trump. What the fuck is this anyway? He’s already in his victory lap and he hasn’t fucking done anything. Except potentially destroy our tenuous relationship with China by recognizing Taiwan. Oooops!

God, I still think we face the very likely scenario of the world going up in a nuclear fireball. Trump is cozying up to fucking Putin like a retarded little lapdog and hiring crazy ex-generals up the wazoo.

Time to move to New Zealand.

17. PaulinAsia Banh Bao said, on December 2, 2016 at 6:58 pm

Ok, so on the last thread I said I’d welcome Fowler. Obviously not a common sentiment here. Actually, I don’t really care *who* they get, I just don’t want to see Span in CF, leading off. IMO, Bochy sticking with that plan for far too long, long after Flappers everywhere were calling for Nunez or anyone else, was one major reason for the 2nd half swoon. Black hole atop the lineup. Right, maybe Span in fact will be fully healthy next season, but at this point, I’m still hoping for a bold move in the outfield…

18. snarkk said, on December 2, 2016 at 7:53 pm

Giants today tendered a contract to all 6 arb eligible roster players — including Agent 000 — at $600K. I am overjoyed…

19. unca_chuck said, on December 2, 2016 at 9:58 pm

I was hoping they’d offer him $000. Jesus. Freddie Lewis didn’t get this much play.

20. unca_chuck said, on December 2, 2016 at 10:34 pm

Pithy nuggets . . .

now that’s a great turn of phrase, Pawlie . . .