Closing In

Posted in Uncategorized by Flavor on December 4, 2016

If the Giants sign Melancon I’m not sure if I could have a more underwhelming reaction. Yes we need a closer. Yes he is a closer. He’s going to be 32 this Spring. 4 years? I think I’d prefer just giving him 2 years, same amount of dough. We know how the Giants roll when it comes to expensive guys who are failing. The most Mariano Rivera ever pulled down in a season was 15 mil.

#FreeStix! RPOTD

stixwiz said, on January 24, 2014 at 9:56 am (Edit)

Somewhere in the kitchen porch my second glove gathers dust. Wore it pitching for Minneapolis Central High in Spring of 1960. Got the spikes too. Kangaroo hide. Purchased at the old landmark Sears and Roebuck on Lake Street near Chicago Avenue in Mpls when my family lived about 12 blocks from there. Alas, they are no longer a fit as oneโ€™s feet do tend to grow larger over the years. My gawrsh! Those two hunks of leather are over 50 years old already. Maybe an antique shop of the recently trending mantiques type? Naah. Probably keep them along with that mass of Giants baseball cards starting with 55โ€™s and concluding with 89โ€™s.

1. willedav said, on December 4, 2016 at 7:32 am

Gad flav, y’all are hard to please. Giants had Melancon couple months ago, Cubs ain’t celebrating jack shit.
    Melancon has been very effective closer. Don’t care how hard he throws/how many guys he Ks. With Giants D behind him he’s lights out.

Giants cards going back to ’55, when they were still in NYC? Wonder what got him started down that route? Had he seen Mays when he was in minors?

• Bozo said, on December 4, 2016 at 7:59 am

Good call on the Minnesota Millers, Willie. Mays only played in 35 games for them (he did hit .477 though). Maybe Stix was a huge fan of New Orleans own, Tookie Gilbert.

2. willedav said, on December 4, 2016 at 7:35 am

MLBTR had a story on non-tenders and Gearrin’s name was in it. Unfortunately, turns out they did resign him at $1 mil. Man watching this guy drove me crazy, way more than Triple O.

3. Bozo said, on December 4, 2016 at 8:03 am

If Melancon is too expensive, I hear Santiago Casilla is available.

4. djloo27 said, on December 4, 2016 at 8:16 am

Great call on Mays playing in Minnesota.
    My dream is to someday visit Stix, cut some grass, have a couple of ice cold Grain Belts, go through his baseball cards, and leave with an autographed rake…

• willedav said, on December 4, 2016 at 8:26 am

POTD. Autographed rakes might be way to crowd fund his defense.
      Doing the math tho, Stix would have been what 6-7 yrs old I think when Mays was there.

5. willedav said, on December 4, 2016 at 8:21 am

Honest, my whole thing about off season is for Evans NOT to be outdone by Dodgers.
    Path to WS is real simple—finish ahead of LA and win the division.
    Sign Melancon and if LA loses Jansen, big win in my book.
    LA has FAs to deal with and holes to fill in rotation and couple positions; they have a lot of stuff going on this winter, much more so than Giants imo. Get the better of them now, reg season etc. becomes lot easier.

• djloo27 said, on December 4, 2016 at 8:25 am

Exactly Willie, go after the enemy!

6. djloo27 said, on December 4, 2016 at 8:22 am

Melancon doesn’t thrill me either – mostly because the Giants have a chance to stick it to LA and get Jansen…

7. Macdog said, on December 4, 2016 at 8:25 am

Old glove and spikes from HS days and what must be a pretty sweet baseball card collection — what happens to very personal possessions like these when someone is likely facing a lengthy stay in jail?

8. blade3colorado said, on December 4, 2016 at 8:33 am

Down with what Flavor said about Melancholy. Frankly, in my book, closers are a dime a dozen – all of them are failed starters. Granted, once in a blue moon, a special one is found and is consistently good, year in and year out. To me, Melancon shot his wad already with the Pirates and we’ll probably be getting his fumes. I hope I’m wrong, but I see Heath Bell or Brian Wilson on their face plant seasons. Should have gone after Jansen. Sigh.

• djloo27 said, on December 4, 2016 at 9:15 am

I agree with you, Blade. Except for the special ones, most of them seem to have a shelf life of a few seasons…

9. Flavor said, on December 4, 2016 at 8:47 am

by the way, Panik got married this weekend. So there’s that.

10. Flavor said, on December 4, 2016 at 8:48 am

I’m not against Melancon. I’m down with the signing. It just doesn’t get my jazz hands going. And 4 years, as Snarkk said on last thread, is too long for this guy.

11. Flavor said, on December 4, 2016 at 9:59 am

Can someone explain something to me? Stix has no running water at his house but he has a kitchen on his porch? WTH is going on over there? lqtm

12. willedav said, on December 4, 2016 at 10:04 am

Oh man, weather game in the Windy, f-ing snowing big time at Niners game.

Wasn’t Gale Sayers 6 TD game vs. Niners (which I remember watching) played in the rain?

• willedav said, on December 4, 2016 at 10:07 am

Sayers used to throw the half back pass off a sweep, and one of those TDs he stopped and faked it then ran one in.

• djloo27 said, on December 4, 2016 at 12:31 pm

In the movie Brian’s Song, Sayers advises Brian Piccolo to practice throwing the half back sweep option pass when running left because a defense wouldn’t expect it from a back who throws right handed…

• djloo27 said, on December 4, 2016 at 12:38 pm

You’ll like this Willedav:

• willedav said, on December 4, 2016 at 12:52 pm

thx man. 85 yrd punt return for #6. wow that guy was good. classic uni too.

13. Irish Kevin said, on December 4, 2016 at 10:27 am

I guess the question is will Meloncon be better that, Casilla, Romo, that to me is the bottom line. I will wait 3 years and if he turns into Casilla then I will go into giving too much money and too many years to the old guy rant.

• Flavor said, on December 4, 2016 at 10:30 am

That’s not even a question. Of course he’s better. Casilla and Romo were horrendous last year. Melancon is reliable and that’s about the best thing you can say about him. I would like to take a year off worrying about the fucking closer role so let’s sign him and move on.

• Irish Kevin said, on December 4, 2016 at 10:38 am

Yes, get the closer fixed and then move on to the next need. a LF and CF? And is 3rd base set in stone?

14. James said, on December 4, 2016 at 11:03 am

I’ve long ascribed to the reasoning Blade cites re closers and am also not wildly excited about signing him. However, Melancon’s low HR and BB ratios have been consistent and impressive. That’s a pretty reliable formula, as long as you don’t lose MPH.

I may also be the only Giants fan who thinks Casilla has an ok shot at returning to his pre-2016 success, if given the chance. His WHIP was actually lower in 2016 than 2015. He was still hitting 95 mph, the velocity he’s always thrown at.

• Flavor said, on December 4, 2016 at 11:10 am

the problem was between his ears. I know you don’t give that much credit because you can’t measure it but psychological factors are a part of the success and failure of all sports……

• James said, on December 4, 2016 at 11:24 am

I don’t put stock into it because it explains nothing when you consider all of his previous success. And assuming his psychology was flawed last season, why would he not return to his “normal” state next year?

• Flavor said, on December 4, 2016 at 11:31 am

it’s like anything you do in life: if your confidence is shaken there is a good chance you won’t be able to repeat what you’ve done in the past. If you play golf that’s a good analogy for you. It happens with professional athletes all the time.
        If Casilla were to get another chance to play and he started being successful his confidence would be restored and he would probably continue to be successful until, as you said, he started losing his fastball.
        If he got another chance and kept getting blasted his confidence would continue to be ruined. It really is just this simple.

15. James said, on December 4, 2016 at 11:31 am

Romo failed spectacularly against the Cubs, but he was 4/4 in save chances in the regular season. He was the only SF reliever with significant numbers of innings who didn’t blow a save.

16. Flavor said, on December 4, 2016 at 11:42 am

Also, it wasn’t just repeated failures that doomed Casilla’s confidence last season. Bochy spoke about the fans booing him and how that had a direct affect on his performance in Sept. I think it was Bochy. May have been Kruk. Either way, he was fucked up in the head last year. On that I can’t believe there would be any debate…..

• James said, on December 4, 2016 at 11:51 am

The difference between Casilla’s performance in 2015 and 2016 is a couple of HRs, and 5 earned runs. That is far more readily explained by randomness or even a slight decline in skills rather than a completely speculative loss of confidence.

In general, don’t you find that people become more confident as they get older or gain experience? If a physical skill I have starts to decline with age, I guess I won’t be as confident in success. I’m grateful to Mrs. James for sheltering me from the worst of it.

• Flavor said, on December 4, 2016 at 12:23 pm

i certainly didn’t make up the psychological impact on performance in sports. You aren’t required to agree with it but to pretend it doesn’t exist is weird, IMO

• alleykat69 said, on December 4, 2016 at 12:58 pm

The difference of Casilla for most Flappers is simple James, he stinks. It’s like opening up your fridge and finding the awful mold smell of cheese,lettuce, bread etc.Casilla is way past his experation date so let some other dumb shit team take him on now..

• snarkk said, on December 4, 2016 at 12:53 pm

Casilla’s mind was blown in the second half. You could tell by the way he carried himself on the mound, and by completely losing it, such as wild pitches, and tripping his way off the mound. Flappers could tell the melt down was coming. In court, when things are so obvious, the judge can take “judicial notice” without submitted evidence. In Bochy’s court, it took him a long while to take “judicial notice” of Casilla being done. This is different, IMO, on the way fans rip Belt for slumped shoulders. He’s pretty much that way all the time. Casilla lost confidence from first to second half, and therefore concentration…

17. djloo27 said, on December 4, 2016 at 12:40 pm

Even when he’s having a great game, Alex Smith has an amazing knack for missing a wide open receiver…

18. alleykat69 said, on December 4, 2016 at 12:49 pm

Getting Jansen is the only option the Giants should go with.He’s the best closer by far, and it puts a dagger in the Bums.You have to strike while the coal is hot 5/90 is what it’s gonna take to getter done,same numbers as the Shark who gave us 200 plus serviceable innings so just do it and work on the outfield next..

• snarkk said, on December 4, 2016 at 12:57 pm

Agreed. Pay the dough and get Jansen, a double win because he’s no longer with LA. Younger, and guy is a horse. I assume his heart A-fib thing is under control…

19. willedav said, on December 4, 2016 at 1:01 pm

Idk about confidence… Casilla maintained to the end he was the closer and I bet he still thinks he’s the man for the job. I think what did him in was loss of command, esp the breaking ball that would get crushed when he hung them. When he left it in the dirt or back foot it was great out pitch combined with the 95 heat.
    He was always kind of loose cannon when he first came in the game; Kruk used to say throwing the first strike always an issue.

20. snarkk said, on December 4, 2016 at 1:10 pm

Niners blown away by the lowly Bears in a snowstorm. Kaep benched. Of all my years as Niner fan, this may be the worst. This team is just dreck. I hope they lose out, I really do. Even Prince Jed would not have the idiocy balls to bring back Baalke after 1-15. I think. The worst moment in the last 30 years of Niner history was when Eddie D. first took a call from Edwin Edwards…

21. willedav said, on December 4, 2016 at 1:15 pm

Jansen on Aug 26th blew a save vs. Cubs in a home game LA ultimately lost in the 10th.
    At that time it was his 6th BS vs. 37 saves.
    Casilla didn’t blow his 7th save until Sept 4. Of course he finished Sept awfully and had 5 losses. But at that point in the season Casilla and Jansen were equal in terms of blown saves, fwiw.
    Shit does happen, even to best of them.

• snarkk said, on December 4, 2016 at 1:24 pm

They can’t bring Casilla back, so they have to get somebody. Nobody is a candidate from in the system. So, they have to pay market price. Might as well get the youngest and toughest arm available if you have to go out and get an arm…

• alleykat69 said, on December 4, 2016 at 3:05 pm

Agree Snarkk.
        Stop pussyfooting around and gift ๐ŸŽ wrap Jansen under the Christmas tree ๐ŸŽ„his stuff is far superior then Melancon and he’s 3 years younger what’s not to like about that..

22. snarkk said, on December 4, 2016 at 4:09 pm

I may have to jump on the Raider bandwagon, be a fan again.
    Derek Carr is the real deal. Just shows how much a QB means in the NFL. An elite QB is everything…

• zumiee said, on December 4, 2016 at 4:29 pm

Former Fresno St. Bulldog!

• snarkk said, on December 4, 2016 at 6:38 pm

Of the battle of lucky genetic winners, Mark (serving bowl haircut) Davis is now ahead of Prince Jed, in terms of team outlook. At least Davis was smart enough to give the management reins to a guy who can judge talent. Reggie had some early hiccups and his first H coach sucked, but he’s made pretty much sweet moves and drafts since then. Jed needs to pay attention…

23. zumiee said, on December 4, 2016 at 5:00 pm

I’m not into video games, because some of them are too well done. I can see how people get sucked into them in a big way. This new one looks intriguing, but I’ll resist. ๐Ÿ™‚

24. blade3colorado said, on December 4, 2016 at 7:02 pm

Craig, most rural properties have wells and septic tanks for water and waste. Minimally, Stix has the aforementioned, as it is inconceivable for me to think he could survive without these basic needs being met (drinking water and toilet). In short, he probably does NOT have a hot water heater or it’s not functioning.

25. PaulinAsia Banh Bao said, on December 4, 2016 at 7:08 pm

Flappers keep calling for Jansen, but has anyone actually heard that the brain trust has talked to him or offered anything? I read about Melancon visiting the Bay Area and there is an offer, but haven’t heard anything about Jansen. Chapman I’m sure is not in their plans. Well, it’s Monday morning here on the other side of the world, so that means the baseball meetings will start… today.. sort of….

• Flavor said, on December 4, 2016 at 7:16 pm

i’ve got no doubt that they are totally focused on Melancon. If they don’t get him I think it’s virtually guaranteed that we don’t get the other two.

• PaulinAsia Banh Bao said, on December 4, 2016 at 7:18 pm

Likely true. Evans also said getting a closer via trade is possible, but not sure who they’d be targeting…

• snarkk said, on December 4, 2016 at 7:42 pm

For some reason, the Giants often seem to take the road leading to the lower payroll option in FA. They’ll overpay for a chump like the Gamer, or now damaged goods like Span, or Zito, because they’re in a bind or want a PR win. If they have a few choices, they’ll target the lower priced one. The one time they really went balls out for it was under McGowan, when they grabbed Bonds for the new ownership to crow about. That turned out pretty well — it generated a new ballpark. It’s not like they don’t have the money. I get it if the closer does not want to come, for whatever reason, but it better not be due to being outbid. Giants are a cash machine, they owe it to their spending fans to shell out the dough to get a few difference making players for 2017 — closer and outfielder…

26. PaulinAsia Banh Bao said, on December 4, 2016 at 9:39 pm

Yeah, Tom, bad memories of those lean years of The Gamer…. Ryan Klesko ….. Miguel Tejada…. a few others thankfully forgotten. It seems maybe the Front Office still goes that way sometimes on bench roles but not so much on starting players, except Span, of course, who really should not be starting when there likely are better options…

• snarkk said, on December 4, 2016 at 9:52 pm

I think Sabes gave Tejada $6 million; everybody knew the guy was terrible, but they had nobody for SS — they dumped Rent for 2011. Then, Tejada went insubordinate. 2011 was a rough season. Sabes has proved better at trades than FA moves…

27. willedav said, on December 5, 2016 at 7:38 am

OK since it was introduced earlier, I’ll mention that San Jose State beat Fresno in last football game of reg season for both schools, sending Bulldogs to 1-10.

• zumiee said, on December 5, 2016 at 9:30 am