Niners Sucking. Closer Coming. Stix Freezing.

Posted in Uncategorized by Flavor on December 5, 2016

Montana. Clark. Rice. Lott. Young. Craig. Those are my Niners. Until further notice, they and those who played with them, are the only ones I will recognize as 49er players…..

*Sources* are indicating Melancon is a done deal. He’s about to be ours. ALL OURS. (went with a period instead of exclamation points for obvious reasons………)

#FreeStix! RPOTD

stixwiz said, on January 22, 2014 at 4:01 pm (Edit)

What does a Giants fan do when the high temp for the day was twelve below zero with the wind blowing at 20 mph? Don’t even ask me to calculate the windshield factor. Took close to an hour to schlep in the wood for both stoves and feeding and watering Macoujoe and the outdoor puss department. Then back to standing close to the stove and turning to a stash of NY Times business sections from October of 2012. Whaaat? you say. Ain’t you sposta be retirded? Why the business section? Big investment decisions? Not quite hardly.

Back pages of section B in the NYT happens to be where they park Tyler Kepner and the rest of their sports reporters and October of 2012? Hope i don’t hafta tell anybody here why i was alternately chuckling, tearing up and laughing out loud. Was too busy outdoors during that wonderful month to even read the coverage at the time. But reading about the achievement of their second Market Street parade in three years was sure a nice way to beat up on a helluva nasty, cold January afternoon.

In February it all begins again. I like our chances.

1. chipower9 said, on December 5, 2016 at 8:23 am

I am down with Melancon…a definite upgrade, but would have preferred Jansen (as it weakens the bums, too).

~74 daze until pitchers and catchers report.

PLAY BALL!

2. chipower9 said, on December 5, 2016 at 8:24 am

Agree 100% on your sentiments on the Niners. The piece of shit that Jed and company trot-out there parading as Niners does not cut it. Just a fucking horrible product. Baakle must go. Jed and the current ownership should go, too. Sad state of affairs for such a once-proud franchise. Not My Niners. Not My President.

3. Bozo said, on December 5, 2016 at 8:42 am

I like Melancon, in 7 games in our yard he has 6 saves and 1 win. He doesn’t seem to add fuel to the fire by talking smack, just seems to go out and do his job. Also, I thought MLB is curtailing the Dodgers spending, so I guess they could still get Jansen but I doubt they will.

Now, make a trade for McCutchen for LF or Evan Longoria for 3B (with Nunez becoming the super sub and Parker or Williamson in LF) and we’d be good to go.

4. sfsarge said, on December 5, 2016 at 9:16 am

I’m good with Melancon, but I definitely agree with Chi about Jansen.

The “professional” football team of Santa Clara as I have expressed before has been dead to me since the Tomsula debacle unfurled itself.

Bozo, do you think we have the pieces to get a Longoria? It doesn’t seem realistic to me. But then again I’m also thinking if the Longoria from 3 or 4 years ago. I still feel like they would have to give up too much to get him. As far as Cutch goes, it would be great to have him patrolling left field. But I don’t think Sabevans can get that done.

• Bozo said, on December 5, 2016 at 12:08 pm

I’m not sure, Sarge. But both of those guys are apparently being dangled, so they have to give it a try, right? I’m thinking our core group of guys only have a couple more years playing at the level they’re at, so I’m in a win it now mode. With a dependable Closer, I’d think one more bat should do the trick.

Just a greedy old man’s opinion.

5. unca_chuck said, on December 5, 2016 at 9:23 am

I’m in on JD Martinez. McCutcheon’s fall-off is concerning. Melancon? Yes yes yes. If it’s the money, who cares?

These guys are NOT losing money running this team. They don’t need to go all Yankees/Dodgers, but we can be the evil empire Jr (a la Boston) of the west coast.

• chipower9 said, on December 5, 2016 at 9:58 am

These guys? Niners? Giants?? Throw me a bone, brother. 😉

RE: the Niners. That fucking team will not get one damned penny from me. I refuse to go to a game, or buy anything Niner-related until the current clusterfuck is a solid, respectable team on the field…and I am not holding my breath on that happening anytime soon. Jed and the whole York family can suck on it.

6. zumiee said, on December 5, 2016 at 9:28 am

On 1/22/14 Stix said: “In February it all begins again. I like our chances.”
    That was a great call! 🙂

7. zumiee said, on December 5, 2016 at 9:35 am

Ken Rosenthal on the MLB Network yesterday: “It’s kind of silly for me to be running around the winter meetings, trying to get news that everyone else will get 2 minutes later; but that’s the profession I’m in.”

Gotta appreciate that kind of honesty.

• pawliekokonuts said, on December 5, 2016 at 10:18 am

love it

8. Flavor said, on December 5, 2016 at 9:51 am

11:42am: Melancon has agreed to terms with the Giants, and the deal will be finalized once he passes a physical, reports ESPN’s Buster Olney (on Twitter).

9. gianthead said, on December 5, 2016 at 9:57 am

Sounds like it was just a matter of medical review and then he is ours…I am still thinking Tony Watson in a trade is within reach as well.

10. chipower9 said, on December 5, 2016 at 10:00 am

I am hearing the Melancon deal is in the neighborhood of 4 years/62 mil.

11. pawliekokonuts said, on December 5, 2016 at 10:15 am

I’m trying to picture Stix with his weeks-old paper copy of the NYT. There’s something about that I deeply respect.

12. pawliekokonuts said, on December 5, 2016 at 10:16 am

How do you pronounce our new closer’s name? It sounds like a medical condition, no disrespect intended.

• sfsarge said, on December 5, 2016 at 10:30 am

Muh-LAN-sin

• gianthead said, on December 5, 2016 at 11:31 am

I go full Cajun.. ME-LAN-SON!!!

13. pawliekokonuts said, on December 5, 2016 at 10:18 am

I wouldn’t mind acquiring Chris Sale. NEVER can have too much pitching, right?

14. Flavor said, on December 5, 2016 at 10:35 am

Giants should still sign Holland. He can do the 8th. Plus, we need a good Holland back in the bullpen. Al Holland was a badass.

• alleykat69 said, on December 5, 2016 at 10:43 am

How many innings are you gonna get of Holland before he needs another TJ surgery?

• Flavor said, on December 5, 2016 at 11:07 am

as many as he’s got in him.

• djloo27 said, on December 5, 2016 at 11:26 am

I’ll never understand why the fuck Al Holland wasn’t brought in to face Rick Monday in 1982 in the Friday night game of the last weekend of the season.

• Flavor said, on December 5, 2016 at 3:02 pm

Is Al Holland black? Should we be talking about this? lqtm

15. alleykat69 said, on December 5, 2016 at 10:52 am

Doubt the Giants even made contact with Jansen which is disappointing to me, always settling for the scraps..Melancon definitely an upgrade over Casilla but Jansen’s would of been the better upgrade over Melacon..

• Flavor said, on December 5, 2016 at 11:07 am

Jansen is more dominant but all we need is someone reliably closing the game. A save counts the same for both of them.

• gianthead said, on December 5, 2016 at 11:29 am

It is all about the financials. Giants mgmt only wanted to be in the $15 mill range so I am thrilled to land Melancon and that makes room now for a deal for JD Martinez or less likely McCutchen for at $14 mill-ish and still probably allows for a $6 mill secondary bullpen arm…that puts them in the $190 mill range and under the luxury tax, which is you all know where ownership is keeping their eyes…

16. Flavor said, on December 5, 2016 at 11:10 am

The Giants had 43 saves and 30 blown saves as a team in 2015. Melancon had 47 saves while blowing only four.

• chipower9 said, on December 5, 2016 at 3:05 pm

I like those numbers…well, the 47/4, anyway…

17. gianthead said, on December 5, 2016 at 11:23 am

How the world has changed…Giants about to give the biggest contract in baseball history to a closer at $62 mill and will be surpassed within the next 48 hours likely…

• pawliekokonuts said, on December 5, 2016 at 12:24 pm

sobering numbers

18. xoot said, on December 5, 2016 at 12:34 pm

I keep seeing tweets “confirming” Buster Posey’s place on next Spring’s USA WBC team. One beat (and definitely not Beat) writer thinks Posey’s better off facing skilled WBC pitchers than unseasoned ST minor leaguers wildly throwing 99 mph. I guess that’s one way of looking at it. I don’t much care for the WBC.

19. Macdog said, on December 5, 2016 at 1:43 pm

Mets fans last week were all giddy for re-signing Cespedes, but all they did was keep a player. The Giants improved themselves with the Melancon signing, so I’m giddier.

20. gianthead said, on December 5, 2016 at 2:17 pm

I can see the Fodgers landing McCutchen.
    Early story that the Nats are saying no on their OF prospect Robles, whom last week I did not think they would trade…

21. unca_chuck said, on December 5, 2016 at 2:42 pm

McCutcheon will be the next Carl Crawford. Or Andruw Jones, or or or . . .Yasiel Puig?

• sfsarge said, on December 5, 2016 at 2:48 pm

The more I think about it. The more I agree with you Unc. Makes a trade for JD Martinez much more interesting.

• Flavor said, on December 5, 2016 at 3:01 pm

Yasiel Puig has never been anything more than hype, a big arm and the occasional bomb.

• chipower9 said, on December 5, 2016 at 3:08 pm

or a dickhead, asswhipe, or fuckwad…

• alleykat69 said, on December 5, 2016 at 3:28 pm

All of the above Chi!!

22. Flavor said, on December 5, 2016 at 4:06 pm

John Shea ‏@JohnSheaHey 56m56 minutes ago
    Giants checked in on McCutchen but remain determined to go with Williamson and Parker in LF. Melancon taking up $16M of ’17 payroll.

• zumiee said, on December 5, 2016 at 4:19 pm

Hello Wild Card! Ah….just kidding. Or am I?

• alleykat69 said, on December 5, 2016 at 4:44 pm

There was talk the Giants don’t want to make a mistake like they did with Adam Duvall with both Parker& Williamson, in case either becomes a major power hitter making them look foolish like what happened with Duvall.
      Granted yes he plays in a bandbox and all, but maybe the Giants gave up on him to quickly without tapping his full potential,like some other Giant I remember named George Foster, 52 bombs the next year,oh shit he went to Cincinnati as well..

• Bozo said, on December 5, 2016 at 5:57 pm

Duvall was out of options and blocked at all 3 positions that he could play (LF, 3B and 1B). At the time we needed a starter and unfortunately we traded for Leake who was a little fucking POS who decided to throw a stint about being traded. Sorry, but I can’t fault the Giants for going for it, but I sure as hell will root against Leake for the rest of his MLB career.

23. zumiee said, on December 5, 2016 at 4:22 pm

Parker, are you ready for next season?!

24. James said, on December 5, 2016 at 5:34 pm

Wonder if Romo and/or Casilla follow Wilson’s path.

25. snarkk said, on December 5, 2016 at 6:14 pm

Re: BF’s 11:10 about the Giants “30 blown saves as a team in 2015”.
    What is the definition of a “team” blown save?

Casilla blew 7 or 8, so are his included in the “team” number? Does it mean the number of times the Pen gives up a lead from the 6th or 7th inning on, or something else?…

• James said, on December 5, 2016 at 6:23 pm

The seventh inning on. I posted a while ago that there was a huge discrepancy between the Giants overall bullpen performance and when they pitched with a lead. Again, the idea that all of SF’s relievers were suffering from stage fright in the 7th inning is completely absurd.

26. James said, on December 5, 2016 at 6:19 pm

I’m certainly not unhappy about the Melancon signing. I think SF overpaid for what was arguably a fluke bullpen failure — I hope at least one of the data twidgets management employs pointed this out to them — but there was no way they could risk the PR disaster of another multitude of blown saves (Note that Pittsburgh had 21 blown saves, the league average). It would be interesting, if not fascinating and scintillating, to see what the general correlation is between team blown saves and overall bullpen performance.

• djloo27 said, on December 5, 2016 at 6:30 pm

I think it happened too often to be considered a fluke.
      Some guys got old.
      Others weren’t ready or just not up to the task…

27. Flavor said, on December 5, 2016 at 6:54 pm

James– I’m sorry you either don’t understand or refuse to accept the role and state of a players mind and how it might impact their performance on the field. As I said, that is odd that you discount it to the point of completely disregarding it. I did not make up the impact of psychology on field performance. It is widely accepted pretty much everywhere, including the locker room. Anyway, I’m not interested in continuing to discuss something you don’t believe to exist. But feel free to discuss it with others, maybe they have a different take.

28. PaulinAsia Banh Bao said, on December 5, 2016 at 7:09 pm

I understand the somewhat understated *excitement* about signing Melancon, because really, it was a no-brainer and had to be done. We tend to get more excited when Sabevans pulls something unexpected out of their hats. I’m still hoping for the latter for a bat, but I’m very happy with Melancon. “A definite upgrade” … uh, yeah, you could say that.

29. Flavor said, on December 5, 2016 at 7:36 pm

Listened to Bobby Evans on KNBR tonight. He was diplomatic but pretty clear that unless something unforeseen happens there will be a platoon in LF between Mac/Park. He also said the reason they give guys opt out clauses is because it keeps the player motivated and the hope is that the player finds out he enjoys playing in SF and then wants to stay. I had never thought of that as one of the reasons before. He also made it pretty clear that with Nunie having only 1 year left on his deal there’s a decent chance we see Arroyo at 3rd base in 2017 (he didn’t use those words, that’s me paraphrasing)

• snarkk said, on December 5, 2016 at 7:52 pm

Nunie is about the only regular player with really good speed. Unless the guy craters in 2017, they need to keep him. What’s the alternative, giving Agent 000 even more time?…

• djloo27 said, on December 5, 2016 at 8:06 pm

You think Nunie gets a chance to use that speed at the top of the order?
        I don’t…

• djloo27 said, on December 5, 2016 at 7:58 pm

Evans must be counting on big bounceback seasons from Pence and Span…

• Flavor said, on December 5, 2016 at 8:13 pm

Pence is three feet deep in pussy he has no intention of emerging from and Span…man. All I can think of is that pic you used to post here of that Aborigine or whatever that dude was.

• djloo27 said, on December 5, 2016 at 8:30 pm

Here’s a more recent photo of Span:

• Flavor said, on December 5, 2016 at 9:01 pm

love this guy

30. pawliekokonuts said, on December 5, 2016 at 8:05 pm

Keith Law questioning why anyone would give any reliever four years. History is not favorable to such contracts. We all know that. But that’s the world we live in. Chapman asking for six years. That ain’t happening. I don’t think so.

• Flavor said, on December 5, 2016 at 8:23 pm

nobody WANTS to give a closer a 4 year deal, duh. Keith Law is such a self serving idiot. Anyway, it’s called “what the market will bear” and obviously closers are getting great deals this off season. What does Law suggest teams do? Collude and not give out deals longer than 2 years?

31. pawliekokonuts said, on December 5, 2016 at 8:06 pm

If the Nats get Sale, are they unbeatable? No. I don’t see the Nats as going all the way. Jinxed. Belt-ed.

32. unca_chuck said, on December 5, 2016 at 8:06 pm

And Panik.

33. pawliekokonuts said, on December 5, 2016 at 8:12 pm

After a game at Yankee Stadium. Bochy said Williamson had the best AB of the year. I forget if it resulted in a walk or a double. Some of youse guys were there. In the blasting heat.

• djloo27 said, on December 5, 2016 at 8:21 pm

I think he hit one off the wall against Miller maybe?

• Macdog said, on December 5, 2016 at 8:38 pm

Mac had both RBI in the 2-1 extra-inning win the next day, but that double off Miller was a big-time rocket, that must be it.

34. Flavor said, on December 5, 2016 at 8:29 pm

Derek Carr and Latavius Murray took their O-Line to the Warrior game tonight. I love that shit. It’s like when The Fonz would make an appearance on Laverne and Shirley.

35. alleykat69 said, on December 5, 2016 at 8:42 pm

40pts for Klay Thompson!!
    Oh yeah that’s at halftime unfreaking real..

• Flavor said, on December 5, 2016 at 8:43 pm

that shot and then Steph running down the locker room hallway. Freaking classic.

• willedav said, on December 5, 2016 at 8:51 pm

Thompson is always Mr. Stoneface too, your classic zero emotion. Even talking to Roz, he’s all business matter of fact “credit my teammates”…just luv that guy.

36. willedav said, on December 5, 2016 at 8:44 pm

clinic by warriors on O, taking ball to the rim and finding open man…Klay has 40 in first half of team’s 80. Up by 30 on Indiana, which has a lot of talent and beat Clips last night.

37. Macdog said, on December 5, 2016 at 8:47 pm

Wow, Thompson only has 10 fewer points than all the Pacers for the first half.

• willedav said, on December 5, 2016 at 8:53 pm

Hey saw Hawks from Monmouth won again and shot lights out, 2-0 in league/everyone else including Iona has at least 1.

• Macdog said, on December 5, 2016 at 8:58 pm

Gotta admit, it’s kind of hard to get excited about their season. Why? They had probably their best season ever last year, with a bunch of quality wins, and all of that didn’t matter in the end because they lost the MAAC final. So really, the regular season is as meaningless as the NBA, the only thing that matters is winning the MAAC final.

38. twinfan1 said, on December 5, 2016 at 9:12 pm

If he stays in shape and Rags has a chance to work with him, Melancon should have a decent chance of competing for a relief spot.

• snarkk said, on December 5, 2016 at 9:21 pm

For $15 million per, he better compete.
      We were wondering whereinhell you were, glad to see you back on here, Oracle…

• djloo27 said, on December 6, 2016 at 4:50 am

TWINNNNNNNNIEEEEEEEEEEEEEE!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

39. willedav said, on December 5, 2016 at 9:21 pm

57 (in 27minutes) for Klay 110-75 with 3 minutes left in 3 Q.

• snarkk said, on December 5, 2016 at 9:23 pm

I’d like to see 70+…

• snarkk said, on December 5, 2016 at 9:35 pm

Just watched first half highlights.
      Klay was throwing it out of his ass, and it was going in. Layups, back door reverses, turnarounds, no look shots from the corner, runners, finger rolls, whatever. All going in. En Fuego…

40. snarkk said, on December 5, 2016 at 9:28 pm

Compare franchises and the dichotomy of directions:
    Niners flailing in an abyss of a season with nothing but uncertainty ahead.
    Dubs crushing opponents at will, the only question is how many titles they can win over the next few years.
    Difference? At root, ownership…

41. pawliekokonuts said, on December 5, 2016 at 9:48 pm

Twin sighting!!!!

42. pawliekokonuts said, on December 5, 2016 at 9:57 pm

GM Mike Rizzo, on Bryce Harper: “It’s not like us to discuss anything that we talk [about] when we’re talking to players about anything.” Donald Rumsfeld couldn’t have said it any better.

• PaulinAsia Banh Bao said, on December 5, 2016 at 10:16 pm

Haha, that rivals one of my favorite Bochy quotes, when asked during a particularly unproductive stretch of baseball, who would be playing most: “The guys who will be playing will be the guys we put out there to play.” Our Yoda.

43. snarkk said, on December 5, 2016 at 10:33 pm

Former Niners DE Larry Roberts dead at 53. 8 seasons, 2 SB rings.
    Complications from diabetes. Football takes a rough, rough toll on the body…